Dark Shadows Are Alive

By ChocolatePoptart33

In a world where all of the fantasy creatures that roam about in books are real there are very few people who... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 (I LOVE THAT NUMBER)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44

Chapter 29

125 4 0
By ChocolatePoptart33

Everything smells like coffee. I used to like coffee every once in a while but when you work in a place that makes it, and smells like it, you tend not to really want coffee anymore. You kind of get sick of it.

Which brings me to where I am right now; standing behind the counter at Starbucks, making some rich guys coffee who wont stop flirting with me. Now normally I'd be flattered but he's just annoying. His pick up lines are no where near good and lets just say he doesn't seem to be the brightest.

After adding the whip cream and caramel I put the lid on, and turned around handing the brunette his coffee with a "Here you go, have a nice day" and turning to the next customer, leaving him to frown and walk away, not liking my lack of allure to his nonexistent charm.

"Hi, what can I get you?" I asked the sixteen year old looking girl.

She eyed me up before saying "Yeah, can I get a medium hazelnut frappuccino and an apple fritter?"

Doesn't she know drinking coffee at that age stops your boob growth? I mean when I found out I freaked out and stopped drinking coffee, I like my boobs and they can grow as much as they please.

I typed in her order to the computer register thing and told her the total and asking "Is that for here or to go?"

"Here" She said, handing me the exact amount then turning around and finding her seat, knowing we would bring it to her.

Hearing the door ding, I looked up on instinct, only to see Xander looking around before meeting my eyes with a smirk. 

I smiled and shook my head before turning to my coworker and saying "Here El, table two when the orders done" 

"Kay babe, btw another hotties checking you out. Dibs" she said winking at me before going to the coffee making machine, making me laugh.

I turned back to the counter, only to gasp, seeing Xander leaning on it gazing at me with a gleam in his eyes.

"Xander, what can I get you?" I asked

He smiled before saying "green tea latte, whats your favorite food here?" he asked back as I typed in the latte, regular size.

I glanced up at him with a smile before saying "Well I'm a fat person at heart so probably the cheesecake brownie."

"Okay then I'll take one of those too and a little chat with you" He finished

After telling him the price and taking his money I said "Alright your order will be right up but that chat of ours will have to wait, sorry. I don't have a break till way later" I said, seeing as I just started and its only eleven am.

Yeah, they made me start early since I got all that time off, meaning I was not a happy camper for having to wake up this early.

I handed the order to Ellie before turning back to Xander, only to see him gone and talking to my boss, who was in the middle of making a coffee.

Staring wide eyed at him I whisper yelled over to him saying "Xander! What you doing" only to have him wink at me and walk to a table and sit down.

Just then my boss walked over to me, making me nervous. Shit, Xander what did you do.

"Lynn, why don't you take a break and have a talk with that nice man over there, he seems charming and good for you" she said sweetly.

Okay, this lady never gave a rats ass about my life before, meaning one thing, Xander just compelled my boss.

Sighing, I rubbed my temples before going around to the end of the counter and walking to the table Xander was sitting at, smiling nonetheless, and sat down across from him with a stale face.

"Xander, you cant just walk into my work and compell people to let me take a break, just so we can talk" I whisper yelled, looking around to make sure no one heard.

"Sure I can, and I did. So, lets talk." he said right before Ellie came over with his cheesecake brownie and coffee, placing it on the table and smiling at him before giving me a curious glance then walking away.

I leaned back in my chair and said "Fine, what do you want to talk about?"

When he pushed the brownie towards me and took a sip of his tea I looked at him confused. He just shrugged and said "I heard you don't eat much. Pretty sure that's not too good for staying alive so I figured if I ordered something you like and put it in front of you then you would be forced to eat it. I mean you don't want that to go to waste after I paid for it, do you?" he asked smirking, knowing I wouldn't.

"You sneaky asshole. Fine. Let's talk," I said, ripping off a piece of the brownie and plopping it into my mouth.

His eyes gleamed before he asked "Whats your favorite color?" making me raise my eyebrows at him.

"Blue, yours?" I asked him, wondering why he's asking me these simple questions.

"Black, Pheonix's is red. Just saying" he said before taking another sip of his tea.

I laughed and said "Sounds like someones playing match maker." I said before continuing quietly saying "If I want to know Pheonix's favorite color, I'll ask. Right now, I wanna know about you"

"Very well, so, what's your favorite movie?" he asked

"Howl's moving castle. Yours? I'm assuming it's something involving the pain of others?" I joked

He smirked saying "You know me so well, actually, it's ferris buler's day off. I find it oddly funny"

"Really?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Sorry to disappoint, sweetheart." he said smirking, making something inside of me get nervous. 

"Don't call me that..." I said while looking down, playing with my brownie.

"You don't seem to have a problem when my brother calls you it." he explained, making me question it.

Right then my phone started vibrating, oops. I forgot it was on, good thing I'm not working. Looking at the contact name I saw it was Pheonix. Speak of the devil, er well, the hybrid.

"That's different... i guess. I don't know, I never really noticed he was saying it. With you it's.. weird. I guess your right, he shouldn't call me that." I explained while looking at the message Pheonix sent me.

Morning, sweetheart. What are you up to today?

Seeing as he mentioned sweetheart, I might as well tell him now. While listening to Xander explain how that's not what he wanted to happen, I replied to Pheonix.

Nm, having a little talk with ur brother. Btw stop calling me sweetheart. I sent then looked up at Xander, seeing he had a worried look on his face.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Who are you texting?" he asked, narrowing his eyes.

"No one... sort of.. okay, Pheonix" I let out, giving in at his stare.

Then my phone buzzed again, making me look at it, ignoring the glare Xander was giving me.

You've never seemed to have a problem with it before. Why now. Also, where and why are you talking to my brother? 

"It seems like Pheonix isn't happy with you talking to me" I told Xander looking up at him  before continuing, asking, "Why is that?"

When he didn't respond I decided to reply to Pheonix, texting Well  Xander mentioned it and I realized that he's right. It's weird so yeah, no more of that. Oh and he came into my work wanting to talk. Seems you vampires are very persuasive when people arn't on vervain. 

After I sent the text Xander finally started talking, saying, "My brother doesn't really trust me around you. If it was any other girl he was with then yeah, I'd hurt them to torture my brother" he said, making me stiffen before he continued saying "But seeing as you two are well, you know. I wouldn't hurt you. I don't think I'm actually capable of it"

"Wait what? First off, you would just hurt someone because your brother likes them? And what do you mean? What are we?" 

He tilted his head to the side, confused before asking "He didn't tell you? Even after last night?"

"Ahh, the whole thing that would change my life. Yeah, no. I told him not to tell me yet since it seems like he didn't want to" I told him, shrugging as if it's nothing.

"So you don't know. Interesting. And I'm guessing you don't want me to tell you then" he said, breaking off a piece of the brownie I ate half of and plopped it in his mouth saying, "This is good"

"I know. And no I don't want you to tell me. Pheonix can when he's ready. Now whats bothering me is why you would use a girl to torture your brother" I said, referring to what he said earlier.

Looking down at my phone I realized Pheonix texted me back saying My brother likes to meddle in things he really shouldn't. Is he aware that you are talking to me?

I replied Yes, though he didn't seem to happy when I told him. A lot like your reaction actually. Which is what Xander and I are talking about now actually. Seems he really likes to play match maker no matter how many times I say I don't want to talk about you. You're just the topic of the day. Can't be helped, gotta go now. Bye!

After sending that I looked up at Xander to see him watching me smiling "You really know how to wind up my brother. Anyway the stories pretty long. Not one for right now seeing as I''m pretty sure you have to get back to work" right then his phone beeped.

He looked at it then smirked, replied something then looked back up to me, saying "I'll give you my number then we can talk some other time about it. I know your dying to know the life of my very messed up brother"

"Your brothers not messed up, Xander." I argued

"You've only seen one side of him, Lynn. There's a lot more you need to know about him. Especially before you two get involved."

Ignoring his whole get involved comment I looked at him asking "And you'll tell me what I want to know?"

"Of course, though I'm sure he will as well." he assured

"Yeah, but you all tend to hide things. I know this isn't my business but... he's not dangerous right? I just, I want to know, short version. Will he hurt me?"

"No." He looked into my eyes before saying "Lynn, he is physically incapable of hurting you. It has to do with what he didn't wanna tell you yesterday. Now then, it seems my brothers not very happy with my talking to you, so I need to go." he said, standing up.

I smiled before saying "Thanks for talking with me, Xander" he smiled before walking towards me and bringing me into a hug.

Why is everyone hugging me? I mean I willingly hug one person and suddenly i'm the new stuffed animal everyone wants to cuddle.

After lightly wrapping my arms around his back,  not knowing what else to do, I backed away and finished the last of the brownie then threw away the napkin and walked back behind the counter, watching as Xander grabbed his tea and walked out of my work, smiling. 

Sighing I went back to the cash register to take back my spot from Ellie and turned to the next customer. Looking at the clock on the wall I saw it was nearing twelve, cool. Only six hours left. I can do this.

~

Turning around I pulled the door shut, watching as Elie locked it, the boss had to leave early so she gave El the keys to lock up. Turns out I didn't only have six hours left. When my boss said she had to  leave early she made me and Ellie take over, meaning we had to wait until nine to leave because then we would be able to lock up. Technically I could've left at six but that would leave Ellie working the late shift alone and I didn't want that, so I stayed. After all, it was only three more hours.

"See ya later babe, I've gotta run" she said walking down the side walk.

I laughed before saying "Bye El, be safe" seeing as she was walking home.

We went our opposite directions but I made a pit stop at our little town deli shop that was still open, getting a sub and eating it as I walked home.

Hearing an ear piercing scream made me stop mid step and back track down to an ally I had recently passed. Looking down the alley I saw blood dripping down one of the walls and a puddle on the ground, right next to a motionless body.

"Shit, this cant be good" I said as I took another bite of my sub and walked down the alley.

Yeah, I know. Gross.. Eating a sub while staring at a dead body with blood all over. Thing is, I'm not squeamish, never was and I've seen things way worse than this and more importantly, this sub is damn good and it cost about seven bucks so I'm not just throwing it away.

I kneeled down next to the girl and used my clean hand and tilted her head to the side to get a better look, only to see Ellie, eyes closed and blood running down the side of her head.

Her eyes blinked open as I pulled my phone out and started dialing the police, taking a glance at her.

"L-Lynn?" she choked out, blood dripping out of the corner of her lips.

"Hey El." I responded, only to see her looking down at my sub her eyes wide open.

"Oh, sorry, you want a bite?" I asked, holding it out to her.

Her eyes closed as she said "You're so fucked up" then her head tilted back to the side.

Knowing this wasn't anything supernatural I stood up as I talked to the cops, saying how I needed an ambulance for Ellie, then looked back down at her and continued eating my sub as I waited for the cops. 

I should probably finish it before they get here, I don't think that would look too good if they arrived seeing a teenage girl standing over her unconscious, blood covered friend, eating a sub.

It was dark when they finally arrived, the flashing lights from the ambulance lighting up the alleyway, and the obnoxious sirens echoing off the walls, ringing right into my ears. I stood there, watching the paramedics carry Ellie onto the ambulance on the gurney. 

Soon enough I was surrounded by cops and a few paramedics prodding me to make sure I was unharmed.

"And you're sure you didn't see anyone?" the cop asked for the third time. 

Apparently they don't realize how generous I was being for actually sticking around and telling them what happened. I mean if it was something inhuman then no way would they be involved but you know, she is my friend so I couldn't just leave her here bleeding in the alley for anyone to eat.

"would you stop that! I'm not hurt!" I yelled at the paramedic who's been feeling me up for the past five minutes as the cops repeated their annoying questions.

Turning to the cop I decided to answer him "Yes I'm sure. As I said, I heard a scream and came to see what happened then called you guys"

"So you hear a scream and run into a dark alley?" the cop asked

"Oh I'm sorry. I forgot you cops like your people dead and no witness. That way you can make your case easy and be done with it. Yes I came into the alley after hearing this poor girl scream. Had there been someone in here I would've taken a picture and done something but no. There was no one here so how about you stop asking stupid questions and actually do your job. I've answered your questions so I'm done here" I told them, ignoring their protests as I walked away from the scene.

Having all that happen made me quite angry as I walked home, grumbling the whole way even as I stepped into the house, kicking my shoes off and grumbling about stupid cops then walking into the family room where I heard the tv.

When I stepped into the living room, still grumbling about annoying cops, I walked towards my recliner chair and flopped down sighing then opening my eyes and decided to acknowledge the other people in the room.

Looking across from me, I glared at Damon, who sat there with a smirk on his face and Blaze who sat on the chair next to him. Both of them had a look on their face saying 'we need to talk'.

Sighing I looked over, noticing Aria and Casper sitting together, then back to Damon and Blaze saying "Alright, lets get this over with. What do you want?"

"Our father says we don't need to protect you anymore. Apparently you put us in danger and we do the same to you. Then he found out we contacted Pheonix and he wasn't too happy. So overall no more creeping around, following you." Damon said, smirking

"Well that's okay, Pheonix has his hybrids doing that now and they  do a way better job than you ever could have" I replied, deciding to fight fire with fire.

He lost his smirk and frowned, leaving Blaze to answer for him saying "Well that's good because now we can all just be friends. So what do you think, wanna go see a movie?" he asked, winking. 

"You're not my friend. I dealt with you because I was forced to. Now I don't have to. So, you should probably get out before Pheonix comes over." I told them

"Why is Pheonix coming over?" Damon asked, all of his attention now on me.

"Because me and him are like this now" I told him, showing him my crossed fingers before continuing with "and I don't think he'd be too happy with you two inviting me out to a movie. He's a little... possessive" I said, winking at Damon at the end.

"Oh and that new brother of his. Mmmm. Although Blaze I think you might enjoy his sister. She's very... spirited and animated." I said, loving the way it annoyed them to talk about the Blackwood family.

Hearing a knock on the door I stood up, a part of me wondering who it could be because I wasn't really expecting Pheonix, that was all just to annoy Damon, so I was a little cautious as I opened the door.

A frown appeared on my face, seeing the person at the door, I took a step back, unknowingly granting them entrance when I did and spoke quietly "Carson, what are you doing here?" i asked noticing the frantic look on his face.

He ran his hand through his brown hair, making it fall in front of his blue eyes. 

"You lied to me. They lied to us, Lynn! You had me compelled dammit! Why cant I get in? Let me in!" He yelled, kicking at the invisible barrier the door held, meaning one thing, he was turned.

"You're a vampire? Who turned you?" I asked, now nervous

"Do you know how many people want you? Now I can tell why, your blood smells amazing. I couldn't understand in the beginning but now I can. Thing is, you're not the only special one in the family. I have powers, Lynn. Powers you cant believe." he said as he held up his hand towards me. 

Before I could question what he was talking about I was being flung against the wall by an invisible force.  Pain shot through me, making me whimper and pull out my phone. I don't know what the hell is up with Carson and what he did but one person came to my mind at a time like this.

Right as I was about to text Pheonix my phone was sent flying out of my hand and I was floating in the air in front of Carson, then I was out the door, no longer protected by the barrier of the door I was in Carson's hands, being held by my neck.

"A-Aria.. text.. Pheonix" I choked out, knowing she could hear me then I was out of Carson's arms and Casper was holding me, back inside the house.

Damon was outside, on the ground on top of Carson but was floating in the air soon enough and Carson's eyes were glowing a bright blue.

"How the hell is he doing this?" Blaze asked as he ran outside and was getting forced against the wall, floating off the ground, by Carson.

Then it seemed like time slowed down as Carson was being held against the ground, Pheonix's hand around his neck, forcing him to stay there.

"Why-Why wont they work on you" Carson choked out

I noticed as soon as Pheonix got Carson that his focus broke from Damon and Blaze, letting them fall to the ground.

Pheonix's eyes were glowing yellow when he looked up to me asking  "I'm too old for that to work. Now, are you alright, sweetheart?"

I  couldn't help but joke with him saying "Pheonix, we talked about that" meaning him calling me sweetheart.

He growled, unknowingly tightening his grip on Carson's neck, leaving him squirming more, bringing Pheonix's attention back to him.

When I saw Pheonix's hand going for Carson's heart I screamed "No Pheonix! Don't kill him!"

"Why not?" he yelled back at me, not breaking his eye contact with Carson, still ready to rip into his chest.

"Because he-he's my brother.." I spoke quietly, knowing he could still hear me. 

I know I hate Carson but he is still my brother and besides, I have some questions to ask him so I cant just let him die. Especially not from Pheonix killing him.

Pheonix sighed and looked at me then back down at Carson and twisting his neck in a quick motion then standing up and walking towards me, leaving Carson lying there dead.

Technically he already was but still, I couldn't help but be shocked at the fact that Pheonix just snapped my brothers neck and walked away from him as if nothing happened.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

565 41 31
summer is 14 and will find her mate early she doesn't know how but accepts it then her real dad appears and tells her everything about who she is who...
2.9K 1.2K 31
**************************************** Completed **************************************** Have you ever wondered what...
38.3K 490 77
A lively, Energetic and wierdly insane 14 year old girl finds out what love,life and well... everything really is like. She has to face her backstab...
603 23 13
This story is about a 16 year old girl named Gabby(she's a tomboy). She is always with her best "guy friends"and her b.f.f.n.e.b.u. Nani,she is like...