Unbreakable Bonds

By Coffeelover_antara1

1997 was the year when they had met in the beautiful yet dangerous valleys of Kashmir. She was a journalist... More

Before you Start Reading
Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Chapter 1

319 44 24
By Coffeelover_antara1

Year 1997

"It's so chilly here! I will freeze!" Avantika exclaimed as her friend dragged her to the local market. Avantika Goel is a young journalist, new in her career. She is passionate about her job, always looking forward to boosting her experiences in the vast field of journalism. With a fluent accent and well versed in politics and economics, she makes a perfect news reporter and that is why she was in Kashmir.

Jammu and Kashmir, the state known for terrorism, citizens still shiver to think about how much bloodshed took place amidst the peaceful valleys of Kashmir. The snow capped mountains, the beautiful waterfalls and the serene environment make it look like that this place was always God's abode. Kashmir has always been known for its enchanting and peaceful valleys.

But the reality is far from this. Kashmir witnesses brutal deaths every year, the sounds of deadly gunfire still echoes in the silent valleys, the scared faces of children, the terrified public and the evil laughter of the terrorists make Kashmir a terror.

And that is why even journalists fear to telecast the news of Kashmir. Avantika, however, moves out of the league. She took it as an opportunity to broaden her experience and also impress her seniors.

"Oh come on Queen Elizabeth, it is not that cold. Look, there are so many beautiful shawls in that shop! Let's check them out", Pankti, her friend excitedly exclaimed. Avantika shook her head and followed her best friend. Pankti, however, ran giggling, just in mood to tease her friend a bit.

She ran to match her pace and finally they both stopped at a local Kashmiri shop which sold shawls. Pashmina shawls are known all over the world for their classy fabric and designs. The trade every year gets the country a decent revenue amount.
Avantika hesitantly entered inside along with Pankti who chirped excitedly seeing the perfectly woven fabric. Pankti tapped Avantika's shoulder, pointing at the brilliant shawls hanging at the corner of the shop. Somewhere, she was worried about their safety. Her senior had just told them to reach the lodge as soon as their plane landed. He had specifically warned them to not roam around alone, without their team.

The shopkeeper smiled at the two. Avantika nodded at the old man warmly, her gaze still set up on the small shop. Her scrutinising gaze travelled from one corner to the other, for some reason she was feeling giddy, as if something was going to happen.

"Pankti, let's go back", Avantika whispered as the shopkeeper kept looking at the two of them. Pankti casted an annoying look at her friend and ushers, "What's wrong in buying a shawl? My mom will be so happy".

Avantika, opened her mouth to say something when she saw a beautiful shawl in maroon pink, her favourite colour. Her eyes sparkled in adoration seeing the beautiful woven design and golden coloured beads increasing the beauty of the already classy shawl. She pointed at the shawl but heard a deep manly voice say, "Faizal bhai, give me that maroon coloured shawl, my mother will love it".

Avantika opened her mouth in annoyance and turned to come face to face with a tall well built man. She was all set to argue that she was buying the shawl when she noticed the Indian Army uniform the man was wearing. Her gaze travelled to his face. He had a perfect jawline, deep brown straight hair and beautiful black eyes.

"Ahem, ma'am I know I am handsome but your gaze is making me feel awkward", she heard him say. Her eyes widened as the realisation drew upon her. She was ogling at him. It was not her, she never behaved like that but this man had something special.

She looked down in embarrassment but then she suddenly looked up and argued, "Sir please buy some other shawl, I had already chosen the maroon one". That man looked at her curiously and said, "Of course, no problem, I will buy another shawl."

Avantika's lips turned into a cheerful smile as she said, "Thank You so much umm"

"Captain Jai Singhal at your service ma'am", he introduced himself with a grin. Avantika giggled and nodded.

"Yea, thankyou Captain", she said and smiled. The young soldier exited from the shop with a smile on his face. Avantika looked at his retreating back wondering why he didn't choose some other shawl. Shrugging her shoulders, she thought to forget the matter, maybe he desperately wanted that maroon shawl.
Looking back at the shopkeeper, she once again pointed at the maroon shawl. The shopkeeper, Faizal smiled at her and packed the shawl in a paper bag.

"Bhaiya, please pack that light pink one as well", she said pointing at another shawl. She smiled and decided to give this shawl to that man. These people do so much for the country and it would be so little if she doesn't give him the shawl he wanted.

Avantika opened her handbag to pay the price and collected the paper bag. She ran her gaze around the shop to find Pankti but she didn't see her anywhere. Panic stricken, she rushed out of the shop and searched around. Where did Pankti suddenly vanish? She was with her until she started conversing with Captain Jai.

An idea suddenly struck her. She ran around in the market to find the soldier she just conversed with, maybe he could help her. Of course he would, he is in the army, he would definitely help her. She took a relieved breath when she spotted him talking to another soldier sitting in the army jeep. She ran towards him quickly.

"Captain, please help me, I can't find my friend, she was with me in the shop but she vanished suddenly. I searched all the shops around but couldn't find her", Avantika cried in a single breath, worrying about her best friend. If something happens to Pankti, she won't be able to forgive herself. It was her who convinced Pankti to accompany her in Kashmir. Negative thoughts swirled in her mind as she imagined the worst consequences. What if she was taken hostage by a terrorist?

Captain Jai looked at her in surprise. He didn't expect they would meet again. His friend raised his eyebrows at him. Jai shrugged his shoulders and asked, "Ma'am, what is her name?"

"Pankti, Pankti Sharma", Avantika cried. Her eyes teared up at the thought of Pankti being kidnapped.

"Do you have her photograph or any ID?" The other man, whom she hadn't taken any notice of, asked with a frown on his face. A very tear-stricken  Avantika looked up and vigorously nodded.

Shuffling through her handbag, she took out their office identity cards which she had just kept for a situation like this. Sniffling, she handed the card to Captain Jai. Their fingertips brushed against each other, igniting a set of sparks through Avantika's frail body, but she didn't pay heed to the weird sensation that ran down her spine. She was just worried about her best friend. God knows what happened to her!

"That will work, we will find her, don't worry, she won't be far away. I am sure she must have forgotten her way", Jai pacified but to no avail. Avantika by now was sobbing with her hand on her mouth. Jai looked at his comrade who said, "Come on, let's find her".

"Ma'am, please don't cry, we will make sure she's safe, believe us", Jai once again chided, his heart feeling uneasy seeing the woman in front of him crying. Never in his life, he had ever encountered a crying woman, except for his mother of course, but it's not like it counted. He had minimal interactions with the woman creed, and he preferred the same. In his very disciplined life, he has no place for a distraction named love. But, seeing this woman in distress troubles him. All he wanted to do was give her hope and see her happy face again.

"Please promise me that she will be safe", Avantika sobbed, her lips wavering. Jai sighed and nodded. "She will be".

Avantika sobbed, clouds of negative thoughts swirling in her mind. It was her fault that her friend vanished. Maybe if she would have dragged her to their accommodation and would have strictly forbidden them to step out, then it would not have happened in the first place.

Meanwhile, Jai and his friend scanned the whole market, asking everyone if they had seen Pankti. All that Jai could think was of Avantika's crying solemn face and the urge to restore her usual peace.

"Hey, have you seen this woman?" Jai asked, showing the identity card to one of the shop owners. The owner shook his head in a no. With a subtle nod, Jai exited the shop and pressed his temple. Where did Pankti vanish all of the sudden?

He turned to enter one other shop when he heard his friend Raghav yelling, "I found her!"

Letting out a relieved sigh, Jai ran towards the confused woman and his friend who looked equally pleased after finding the woman.

"Are you alright ma'am? Your friend is looking for you", Jai asked as soon as he stood in front of her. Pankti nodded and answered, "She worries way too much, I was shopping".

Pointing at the several bags in her hand, Pankti tried to prove her point. Jai shared a look with Raghav who shrugged his shoulders as if saying 'women are unpredictable'.

"Please madam do not venture around her, anything can happen", Jai warned as the three of them started to return back. Pankti nodded nevertheless and mumbled, "I am sorry, I-I just got excited seeing the beautiful things they sell".

"It's okay ma'am, but your friend was crying. She thought something happened to you", Raghav said for the first time. Pankti again nodded and mumbled a small apology.

Avantika when noticed her best friend came running towards her and engulfed her in a hug crying, "Where did you vanish, you stupid woman! Do you even realise how worried I was? Never, I say never repeat this".

With a chuckle, Pankti patted her friend's back and said, "I am so sorry yaar. Pinky promised, "I won't repeat such things ever".

With a glare, Avantika broke the hug and now turned towards the soldier who helped her out.

"Thank You so much for your help Captain", Avantika softly said with a smile. A smile made its way to Jai's face as well as he said, "It's my duty ma'am".

"Please call me Avantika, ma'am seems too old", Avantika said with a chuckle. With a nod, Jai affirmed, "Miss Avantika".

She opened her mouth to argue but no word left her mouth, she accepted the formality. Jai and Raghav began to retreat to their military jeep when Avantika yelled, "Wait! Captain, I have something to give you".

Jai turned around, took steps towards her and said, "Drop the formalities, I don't need anything".

Avantika just smiled. Taking out the maroon shawl from her handbag she said, "I just wanted to give you this shawl, your mother will love it, just like you said".

Jai's shoulders dropped as he looked at the woman in front of him with awe. Shaking his head, he replied, "She would love it even more if you would keep it".

Avantika's mouth fell open and her throat ran dry. Without saying anything else, Jai once again turned over to sit in his jeep. Avantika just stood there gazing at the man and thinking about his words.

She would love it even more if you would keep it.

What did he mean by this?

"Ahem, if you are done Avu, we have to go", the teasing voice of Pankti disturbed her confused thoughts. With an awkward nod, Avantika stammered, "T-there is nothing like you are thinking".

"I never said about that", Pankti singsonged with a giggle.

Hey hey hey!
How was the chapter people? I totally loved writing how they met. I think you might have guessed that older Avantika is narrating the story to her grandchildren as published in the prologue.
There will be a lot of time skips in the story and more importantly the chapters will be long.
The next update, umm will not be so early. I think next month only.
It's long but I promise it will be worth the wait.

Also, if you liked the opening so far, please do comment and vote. I don't even expect a lot of people to read this book but the ones who are reading, can you please just motivate me by your comments and votes?
This is the first time, I am trying a new way of writing, I really do need your feedback.
Okay bye❣️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 327 18
β€’|Ιͺκœ±Κœα΄€Ι΄yα΄€__Κ€α΄œα΄…Κ€α΄€|β€’ Intervening my both hands with his, he turned me to his side slowly... Once our eyes met, I lowered my gaze not able to meet his e...
36.2K 1.1K 31
(Psycho)sis ; Β» Hallow's Creek is a small town located almost directly in the middle of Maine. The small town has made national news several times o...
4.2M 262K 100
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
239K 14.6K 24
#1 of The Regime Series. Can be read as a standalone "You think it that simple, trust me baby it's not". .β€’πŸ₯€β€’. Dedication To the ones who wants to b...