Lament (Sebastian Sallow)

By EllaSallow

In the year 1900, Penelope Silverthorn returns to Hogwarts after eight years of leaving only to find herself... More

Lament (Sebastian Sallow)
Prologue
Chapter 1: Floor -4
Chapter 2: Professor Sallow
Chapter 3: Luna, The Dog
Chapter 4: Percy
Chapter 5: P.S (P.S)
Chapter 6: Sebastian's Journal
Chapter 7: Pen, Get It?
Chapter 8: We're All Parentless
Chapter 9: Cecil's Red Flags
Chapter 10: Professor Sallow's Distraction
Chapter 11: Sebastian's Grudge
Chapter 12: A Summer Fling
Chapter 13: A Drunken Owl
Chapter 14: I Think I'm Drunk
Chapter 15: Sister-In-Law
Chapter 16: Prewett's Legacy
Chapter 17: Coach Sallow
Chapter 18: Time For A Proper Welcome Back
Chapter 19: The Rabid Fiancée
Chapter 20: At What Cost?
Chapter 21: The Undercroft
Chapter 21 1/2: Expect The Unexpected
Chapter 22: Missed Me, Britain?
Chapter 23: Poppy's Reflection
Chapter 24: Matching Rings
Chapter 25: Sebastian's (Dis)Respect
Chapter 26: Professor Sallow's Office
Chapter 27: Halloween Night Part 1
Chapter 28: Did Merlin Do This Too? *
Chapter 29: Dreams Show Signs *
Chapter 30: Sebastian's Nemesis
Chapter 31: Professor Sallow's Outburst
Chapter 32: Restricted Section, Restricted Things *
Chapter 33: Sebastian's Jealousy

Chapter 27: Halloween Night Part 2

3K 100 390
By EllaSallow

Chapter 27: Halloween Night 2

"Tell me you love me,
come back and haunt me.
Oh, and I rush to the start."
Coldplay

The air cracked with tension when Penelope Silverthorn and Sebastian Sallow struggled to enter those castle corridors that night.

The students weren't harmed, but the uncomfortableness of the odd stinging sound directed them into chaos; some covered their ears while others ran around as they began to get guided by the Headmistress, Matilda Weasley.

"Penelope!"

Penelope threw off a gasp from the name-call and once she turned, Percy Dumbledore was rushing toward her with a sense of concern in his eyes.

Sebastian Sallow still kept his fingers clutched onto Penelope's arm to prevent any fall or pain that could've come at her in the meantime; or else, in other words, an excuse to have her close to him throughout the night.

Penelope didn't have the proper strength to give out words. She was becoming overwhelmed by the exiting students that left her anxious upon the unanswered noise.

"The Map Chamber," Penelope gave out, clutching her white dress and attempting to walk fast near the entrance, huddling with the students.

"Pen!"

Sebastian's muscles tensed at the sound of Joshua Rogers voice echoing far behind, trying to catch up. Despite the chaos and danger, the professor still held triggers in the American man from the previous day.

"Pen! What's happening?" Joshua asked.

Penelope turned, feeling a hint of the castle's air as they went down the stairs and tried to take shortcuts to the dungeons.

"The Map Chamber, Josh. That's what's h-happening," Penelope sighed from the tiredness of the night, "Do you have the code book?"

Joshua tugged a small pocket over his costume cloak with his wand and revealed an enchanted book with the engraved coded words for an Auror.

"Yes, boss." Joshua smirked.

Sebastian Sallow tried to maintain a calm demeanor as he watched Penelope and Joshua converse like teammates, a reminder that the two really worked together for four years.

The professor could feel his stomach turn a little at the reality of it, but he quickly knocked some sense into himself that they were also considered the best Aurors in the United States. Despite the complicated turnouts — they had to work together.

As the members grew closer to the dungeons of Hogwarts, there was a swing of shivers that filled Penelope Silverthorn — no, not just Penelope, but someone that was gifted felt it too.

Penelope parted her lips at the coldness and exchanged a glance with Percy Dumbledore, who also seemed shocked at the feel.

"You feel it too," Penelope whispered.

"Feel what?" Joshua Rogers pitched in confusion knowing he was oblivious to the subject.

Sebastian gripped his fingers on his wand knowing it was the only way he could prevent himself from using a jinx on him.

It became clear that whatever awaited them in the depths of the dungeons was not well, nor safe. It felt sinister.

"There's classes in these dungeons too?" Joshua raised his brows as they sped-walk around the dungeon halls, passing the Muggle Studies classroom.

Ignoring him, Sebastian Sallow passed him, trying his best not to elbow him along the way as he wanted to keep his eye on Penelope's actions.

The familiar glowing hue at the end of the hall distracted the adults. It was finally answered that the once stairs that had disappeared a few weeks back were now there; the first entrance to The Map Chamber was open.

"It wasn't this bright before." Percy Dumbledore furrowed his brows at the sight.

"It was in my years," Penelope breathed in panic, becoming eerie of approaching, "It means the floor is open to the stairs, but..."

Before Penelope could finish her sentence, the same splatters of dark magic materialized the walls, but the splatters grew; like a real plague.

"Oh, shit." Joshua Rogers sniffed, becoming intrigued by the source of magic he witnessed and attempted to investigate.

"Distance, Mister Rogers," Percy warned, "It's heavy."

Joshua backed away, turning at Penelope. "Have you tried the Abluvio castings? Or the codes of Exorciare?"

"This isn't demonic magic." Penelope looked around, "It's Dark Ancient Magic. The sources differ. There aren't cures for this."

A sudden disturbance shattered the conversation when a blob of the black magic bounced off the rocky walls like a malevolent creature and nearly threw itself at them.

Again, the familiar buzzing noise screeched into their ears, hitting Penelope Silverthorn hard as she sank and held herself.

"Watch out!" Percy warned everyone as they dodged the magic and let it hit the other side of the wall, sliding down.

Joshua Rogers furrowed and walked to Penelope before Sebastian could, but his blue eyes detected the dark magic and looked down at Penelope.

"It's targeting you. Why?" Joshua asked.

Penelope tried to wonder about the words. Was it really targeting her? But what about the students? The innocent lives that were being put at risk, if she was the target? Why?

"The source grew," Percy called out, studying the walls, "Every bounce off it has, it increases and causes damages, like the noise...the uneasy aura." He walked around.

"T-The students..." Penelope stood up, struggling as she observed, "The ones that are affected—"

"Mister Beaufort and Sharp were informed immediately upon the noise in the dance," Percy told her.

Penelope nodded weakly, her eyes barely opening from the pressure, and let the buzzing decrease as the traces of magic slimmed into bigger portions.

Doubts crept into her mind like darkness mixed with negativity, haunting her thoughts as Penelope tried to distinguish the cause of all this.

Was this buzzing noise some kind of punishment? Had The Keepers truly carried out their warning, unleashing a threat to not only her, but the castle?

No, nothing made sense at all. It couldn't be. The Keepers were powerful, but they were also nothing more than souls trapped behind portraits — they didn't have the ability to orchestrate such an attack within a castle they'd protected in the past.

Penelope's head spun with unanswered theories and questions, her weight heavy as there was little time to even detect a solution. Whatever the truth may be, she was the one being relied on.

"We have to get rid of it." Penelope's voice cut through the wandering men.

Sebastian and Joshua gave no reaction to the demanding words. Unlike Percy, it was unfortunate that both men weren't understanding with the source as he was.

"You're right," Percy replied, mirroring Penelope's determination, "We cannot let this spread any further to the students, or you, Miss Silverthorn. We have to at least neutralize it before it extends."

As Penelope Silverthorn and Percy Dumbledore exchanged silent nods of understanding, their eyes spoke volumes as they looked over at Sebastian Sallow and Joshua Rogers.

Joshua stood with his jaw clenched, his blue eyes narrowed as he was undetermined about the job. A few feet away, Sebastian was equally stoic, his brows furrowed as he also stood in confusion.

"Tell me the plan, Pen," Joshua neared, "Tell me what to do."

Penelope's breath was shallow, her head in circles trying to figure out a plan as the buzzing noise still trained on that dungeon, triggering her every step of the way.

"Remember the Ollies Case of 1897?" Penelope asked him, "In Hoia Baciu Forest?"

Joshua Rogers sighed, remembering the haunting ministry case in Transylvania, Romania that left both adults in sleepless nights for a week.

"Same spells," Penelope told him as she stepped closer to the pulsating mass of dark magic.

As the four expert magical adults converged on the dark Ancient Magic, their wands glowed with powerful defensive spells; the air crackled with magic for a few minutes.

Percy Dumbledore's wand emitted a brilliant glow as he focused his gifted bloodline to lure out the dark traces — meanwhile, Joshua Rogers stood nearby, beads of sweat on his white face as he directed the blobs to Percy, making the teenager handle it better.

Sebastian Sallow and Penelope Silverthorn worked in tandem, both their wands synchronizing motions as they attempted to weaken the magic, but unlike one another — only one of them had the ability to get rid of it.

Penelope's body trembled as the familiar sensations washed over her, memories of her previous encounters with dark magic flooding her mind like a tidal wave. The hot flashes, the overwhelming noise, the unsettling guidance—it was all too much to bear.

Over her head, the luring of The Map Chamber opened more — her body was manipulated into walking down those familiar spiral stairs and enter The Map Chamber, confront The Keepers — but who knew what to expect entering it?

The dark magic dissipated from the walls with the combined efforts of Percy and Penelope, a hush falling into the room from the clearance — but that was only the beginning.

"Miss Silverthorn?" Percy asked in concern, watching the witch struggle to go down those stairs.

"I-I have to go down there, there's more. I feel it—"

"No." Sebastian hammered.

Sebastian Sallow's cautious mannerisms were ingrained in him from a young age. He had always been observant, always on guard, much like his father, Samuel Sallow, who possessed a natural protectiveness over his loved ones, especially his wife, Anna Sallow.

So, when Sebastian found himself faced with a situation of having to see Penelope risk herself to clear out magic knowing it'll pain her, the instinctive kicked in.

A dry chuckle dripped out of Joshua Rogers from Sebastian Sallow's decline, as though the notion of a professor telling a powerful witch like Penelope was ludicrous and the man looked to the side like it was a joke.

How ironic of Joshua Rogers.

Penelope's gaze bore into Sebastian's in confusion, "W-What, I don't have a choice—"

"Your levels are low, Pen," Sebastian declared, his tone firm, yet caring, "The magic is cleared already. Whatever lies inside The Map Chamber is closed off. You can—"

"Dude, it's her job," Joshua Rogers cut in annoyance, "Let her do what she needs to do for this case."

"She is unwell." Sebastian pointed. "We came unprepared. There isn't strength or aid if something happens to her."

"Sallow, this is a case between Aurors like us. You are just a professor. You do not have a say in the case. Especially, right now." Joshua gritted.

Sebastian Sallow felt slightly offended. Though now confined to the role of a professor, he once did envision himself as an Auror, a great one. Were it not for the circumstances of his past from the death Solomon Sallow, he would've loved it. Although he is grateful for his role now, it sucked.

"I am a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Rogers," Sebastian retorted in defense, "I have delved into the depths of every historical book within reach and hold knowledge of the Dark Arts that surpasses anyone else. I'm aware." He argued.

"Percy," Penelope whispered to the young man, "I'll take Percy."

Sebastian swallowed at Penelope's ignorance of the risks he practically stated at everyone and stood muted. If he kept speaking it'd only make the situation worse, and Joshua didn't make it any better.

"I'll go—"

Before Joshua Rogers could take a further step near Penelope on those stairs, the woman raised her hand at him and shook her head to a stop.

"No. I said Percy and I," Penelope reminded, "As Mister Sallow mentioned, we don't know what lies beneath. It's safer to do it with someone that sees what I see."

Joshua once again, clenched his jaw, but nodded.

There were trickles of dirty water falling onto the walls leading down The Map Chamber; Penelope gave a few "ew's" from the feels as Percy followed behind her in fear. At the end of the day, he was only nineteen.

The Map Chamber entrance was no longer adorned with a blue glowing symbol that Sebastian Sallow had perfectly depicted in his journal constantly. No, not at all. Instead, it was laced with the same traces of dark magic. It hugged the entrance like a plant.

"Godric's heart," Percy sweated, the Lumos spell on his wand wanting to flicker off from the light the magic was injecting.

But it wasn't just light that it was injecting. The magic seemed to aim at a source.

As Penelope neared the traces that puffed out, a sickening sensation gripped her, her body feeling unwell with each step. It was as though she could sense the heart of all this. The answer to all of it.

"Miss Silverthorn," Percy took notice of the uneasy feel, "You seem ill—"

"This is my fault," Penelope whispered out.

"Hm?" Percy furrowed, but became concerned as Penelope raised her wand in an attempt to touch the magic, "...Miss Silverthorn, I don't think—"

"They're angry." Penelope breathed, the tip of her wand glowing as the magic began to twirl onto it like it was going back to its mother.

Percy Dumbledore struggled to get an understanding on what Penelope Silverthorn meant and it frustrated him for a moment because he knew he was intelligent. He didn't get all those awards for nothing. He knew more than the wizarding kind. He was a Dumbledore.

Percy squinted, his low wand raising as he concentrated enough on the older witch beside him — his mouth parting as he began to detect the red lights on the causes.

The nineteen year old's eyes widened as he detected the telltale red lights emanating from Penelope. It dawned on him that she had conjured that magic herself—it was within her body all along.

Was this the source of her extraordinary power?

It hadn't been documented in The Daily Prophet or records.

Could anyone else know?

He was the only gifted wizard at the time, the sole keeper of this knowledge.

"You injected this magic ten years ago," Percy observed, his voice filled with both surprise and concern.

"Nobody knows that," Penelope breathed out, her voice laced with disbelief, "I was only in fifth year. I...I—"

"This is why you're so powerful," Percy whispered, "This is why you couldn't save the students all the way. Because you also have it."

Penelope closed her eyes.

Percy Dumbledore was shocked, but also felt at ease to know that, once again, he determined something that nobody else could've. He was one step ahead, as always.

"I did a lot of rights, Percy, but I also did a lot of wrongs," Penelope sighed, her arm raising. The wand in her hand fell to the floor and now her bare hand rested flatly over The Map Chamber door, "I'm going to open it and go in."

"But this is danger—"

"You just get rid of the magic, Percy. You are nearly as strong as I am. Just do it." Penelope ordered.

Percy Dumbledore was stressed, but he obeyed the witch. He was scared, but he obeyed.

And Penelope Silverthorn closed her eyes and felt her Ancient Magic ready itself to open The Map Chamber entrance once and for all.

...

Distant laughter filled the air, mingling with the soothing sound of waves crashing to the coast like music to the ears. The horizon turned into a purple tone as the sun dipped below, casting its final rays.

"Woooo!"

Eighteen year old Penelope Silverthorn gave out a distant laugh as she smiled at the young man that ran barefoot down the sand into the wooden dock.

Sebastian Sallow turned around, the navy shirt unbuttoned and splashed with water as he turned around, facing his girlfriend from afar.

"Come on, Pen!"

Penelope shook her head, a giggle escaping, "No thanks, Sallow."

A dramatic tone came out of the teenager as he ran back from the dock into the sand to reach the girl with the pink-laced dress.

Penelope Silverthorn shut her book down and threw it aside, preparing for a run as she knew what Sebastian was about to do.

"No!" She raised a finger, attempting to escape.

Sebastian chuckled, "Darling, you're asking for a chase. I'm a man. I love a chase." He flirted, reaching out to her.

Penelope ran through the sand, passing the small storage home and using magic to make her boyfriend trip along the chase.

"Not fair!" Sebastian yelled.

"Yes, fair—"

Before her words could be finished, Sebastian Sallow took his skill of apparition and disappeared from her view.

"Oh, fucks sake," Penelope closed her eyes and whined out from the upcoming results.

In no time, Penelope screeched a scream as she felt a pair of arms clutch behind her and carry her without warning; the fingers warm under the skin of her dress as she was taken away.

"Sebastian! No!" Penelope freaked.

Sebastian carried the girl over his shoulders, reaching the dock, and chuckling, "Sebastian! Yes!" He mimicked.

"Let me go! I can't swim!"

"Such a powerful witch and can't swim?" Sebastian scoffed out exaggeratedly, "How embarrassing, really."

Penelope gasped as she began to see the waves of the waters under, "Seb—"

"Luckily for you, I could swim." Sebastian smirked, "Close your eyes, sweetheart—"

Penelope feared the water and Sebastian knew that, but weirdly, that evening, he made her feel as safe as possible as they stayed near the dock and he held her tightly.

"That wasn't so bad." Sebastian smiled.

"Shut up." Penelope spat out water as her small legs dangled in the deep water.

And she watched her boyfriend.

Sebastian Sallow's hair was drenched, with droplets of water falling from his tousled locks. Despite the approaching summer, the chill in the air made his freckles stand out against his rosy cheeks, adding to the charm of his appearance.

Penelope became speechless, watching Sebastian and how the sun settled nicely on the view. Was this heaven?

Within minutes, the couple found themselves entangled and soaking wet against the bedsheets of the bed inside that storage cottage. It was extremely small, but for two teenagers involved — it was a perfect space.

It was a beautiful intimate moment between the two. They were in love. No worries. No nothing. Just two teenagers in love.

Between the soaking mixture of sweat and seawater on that bed after sex, Penelope Silverthorn laid comfortably naked against Sebastian Sallow's chest: It felt like home.

Sebastian's fingers intertwined with Penelope's, the light of the clear moon reflecting onto the scar on her fourth finger.

"Nice tattoo," Sebastian teased in the dark, referencing the bloody oath from the roses and rose his finger, "I have the same one."

Penelope smiled lazily, "Thanks."

Sebastian smiled back, but within you could hear his heart skip more than usual as his fingers still caress over Penelope's in a slow matter.

Penelope did feel the pace of the man's heart increase, but she predicted it was another one of his heated tensions. That he wanted more in that bed, so she mentally prepared herself.

"Sebastian,"

"Pen..."

Both stared at each other in confusion from the abrupt same-time name call and gulped knowing that whatever was going to be said was important.

"I...you first." Sebastian breathed, hoping that maybe this was an excuse not to do it.

Penelope flushed, "N-Nothing, I was just....just going to say...that I love you."

"I love you." Sebastian smiled, kissing her forehead.

Penelope smiled back.

Silence.

Again, Sebastian's heartbeat was jotting quickly. He had an entire plan. A specific place. A calendar date. He had it planned — but when the time was right, it was right.

"Marry me," Sebastian whispered at her in that dark.

Penelope hitched a breath from the unexpected words.

...

Penelope Silverthorn's eyes opened suddenly. She was invaded by rays of sun that burned her eyelids, temporarily blinding her as she attempted to fix her blurry vision; chirps of birds filled her ears as her disoriented body sat up.

With each blink, Penelope's vision gradually cleared, allowing herself to see the surroundings. It felt rare that as she brought a finger to rub an eyelid her body felt healthy. It felt relaxed.

And she looked.

The bed beneath her was barely unmade as if she hadn't moved a finger since her sleep. The same silky white dress flowed down her body and her hands flexed normally.

A crackling fire chipped in her senses and while turning, she noticed the setting of a small fireplace implanted in the tight space around her. The fire sent a soothing background to her observation.

The cottage withheld a breezy salty scent. There were unfinished pieces of old wood on the wall, and dusty furniture stayed in place while she attempted to sit up and walk.

Penelope then took notice of a wood-rounded table that was a few feet from the fireplace; a chess board game sitting there like a game was going on.

...

"Checkmate," Sebastian Sallow said confidently, throwing Penelope Silverthorn's piece aside.

Penelope plastered a gasp on him from the unexpected movements and rested on the chair, crossing her arms.

"I'm done playing this game."

Sebastian smiled at the frustration from the beautiful girl, "Ah, come on. I thought you were good at muggle-play?"

"Not chess." Penelope fixed, "Whatever, you won."

"One more! Please," Sebastian pressed his hands together, encouraging another game, "You'll learn, I promise."

Within a few minutes, Sebastian dodged Penelope in another chess game, making the witch groan in anger from the loss.

Her eyes watched closely as Sebastian's fingers knocked down her piece and out of the blue, Penelope's hands threw all the chess pieces down, letting them fall to the floor.

"Hey!" Sebastian said in shock, but before the man could see anything else on her mess, Penelope's body jumped on that wooden table and sat on him, kissing him frustratedly.

"Hm, perhaps, you should lose more," Sebastian grunted at the feel.

...

Penelope Silverthorn blinked for a moment, her heart racing faster than usual as her mind began to connect the setting and then the calendar date on where she stood.

The storage cottage was no longer a 'storage' cottage, though now it gleamed in a fixed-up real home. The size was extended and it looked like a tidier version of what she had remembered.

I'm dead. Penelope rationalized the state. I died. I'm in heaven.

There was a rush of panic that consumed the witch. There was fear and panic that she was in the afterlife; she grappled with the terrifying possibility that she failed. That now she was in her comfort zone. That now —

"Pen?"

Penelope turned in coldness at the sound of the voice that interrupted her panicked thoughts. Her body was close to clashing on the same wooden table that held the chess game. Her breaths were uneven on the view.

Sebastian Sallow's gaze was evident as he entered that home and watched the standing witch in concern. He still wore the same pirate costume from the last time he was seen and this only gave confusion to Penelope.

The man's eyes were dark; shadowed. They hinted at a lack of sleep. The brown hair seemed all over the place and the lips were dry. Despite the tired state, Sebastian still exuded an aura of intimidation to Penelope Silverthorn.

"I..." Penelope was lost for words. Why couldn't she talk? Were you allowed to talk here? Unless her throat was dry.

Sebastian revealed his wand, using the Accio charm to swing a mug from the kitchen cabinets onto himself and fill it up with water.

"Aguamenti," He whispered before the mug became full and was handed to the sick woman.

Penelope stared down at the mug, like if she was given a treasure and her shaky fingers took hold of it. The taste of water felt like drinking mint. Her senses cleared from just drinking. She was dehydrated.

The mug was placed on a counter nearby and Penelope struggled to even stare up at Sebastian for a moment. Everything was foggy in her state.

"How are you feeling?"

Again, Penelope gasped at his voice. This only made Sebastian furrow.

"I...what happened?" Penelope asked, her tone was barely audible.

Sebastian let a deep breath, and Penelope figured that whatever was about to come out of his mouth didn't seem appealing. He did that when he was overwhelmed. She knew him.

"You overdid your magic," Sebastian stated, but he didn't want to attempt to give out the harsh parts of what happened down there. How she could've simply listened to him.

Penelope blinked down, "The students..."

"Are fine," Sebastian answered, keeping a hand inside his pocket as he explained. "But they had to be taken far from the castle in the meantime. They are admitted to St Mungo's."

"What?" Penelope said in disbelief.

"For safety. A distance from Hogwarts."

Penelope thought to herself on the repetitive saying of being far from the castle in general, "Why distance?"

Sebastian sighed, "Because whatever you attempted in The Map Chamber created exposure to those affected already. The trace stopped after the victims were outside Hogwarts grounds." He explained.

Penelope was confused.

"That includes you." Sebastian reflected on her.

The way Sebastian spoke to Penelope seemed passive-aggressive. It hadn't been on purpose, but to know the man experienced whilst she was unresponsive— it was stressful.

"So, I'm not dead?" Penelope asked herself.

Sebastian was perplexed by Penelope's question but shook his head in response. "No, fortunately, you're not."

Penelope experienced a wave of relief upon hearing Sebastian's response, but a lingering tension remained between them. Only time would reveal how things would unfold between the two.

Penelope summoned the courage to meet the intense gaze of the stern man before her. His furrowed brows spoke volumes about his current state of mind.

"You're looking at me as if you're upset about what I did," she observed, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Sebastian Sallow was upset. Upset that he hadn't reached the stairs in time, upset that he hadn't stopped her sooner, upset at himself for not preventing what had transpired. He was upset.

"Each time you wield your magic, it drains you further," Sebastian explained.

"I don't believe that's entirely accurate," Penelope countered, her tone firm. "Yes, magic can be draining, but it's also empowering. I've been doing this for years, I know my limits."

"You were playing with death, Penelope." Sebastian's expression hardened.

"I was saving Hogwarts." Penelope corrected him.

Sebastian sighed, frustration clear in his voice. "Yes, but at what cost?"

"It's my job, Sebastian." Penelope sighed.

Sebastian closed his eyes, "I understand, really. I know it is your job, but that doesn't mean sacrificing yourself. The dark traces of magic were cleaned already. The rest of the journey was your call—"

"There are things as an Ancient Magic wielder you don't know about," Penelope pointed, "I know things you don't. I did what was best."

Perhaps, the words of Penelope Silverthorn were coming out more metaphorical. The last sentence had a double meaning and she knew that herself.

Sebastian stood quiet at the entrance of the cottage. He had no say moving forward. It was her job after all, but the man was stubborn. He almost hated himself for being so stubborn.

Penelope's eyes lurked around the familiar space and if it was quiet enough, you could hear the same sound of waves shuttering from outside those rectangular windows of the home.

"Why are we in Clagmar Coast?" Penelope uttered with a labored breath.

Sebastian wanted to shrink from her memory, but he kept a calm expression and addressed an excuse.

"As I mentioned earlier, you needed to be far away from Hogwarts."

"We are at the finish line of the region," Penelope admitted.

"The farther the better, as Percy stated." Sebastian defended.

Percy. Albus Dumbledore. Penelope Silverthorn grew nervous from the last interaction she held with the young man. It seemed like an overwhelming moment between the two strong wizards, but she had a sense that if she was alive and kept away — he was understanding.

"He was here this morning, actually," Sebastian paced around slowly on those wooden floors as if he read Penelope's thoughts, "...determined if you were alright."

"I'm fine." Penelope answered to herself.

Sebastian chuckled in offense, and looked to the side, cockily, "Yeah, after administering injections of Tranquart all night and murmuring defensive spells and potions; now you are."

"Wow, thanks for the generosity," Penelope shot back, her voice dripping with sarcasm. But the tension between them only seemed to escalate as the argument continued.

"The best I could do." Sebastian sneered in sarcasm.

This only caused grumpiness in Penelope. She hadn't eaten well, not slept the last week. The attitude changes were only a cherry on top.

"You're not tasked to do this, Sebastian. I don't need you to speak like you were doing me a favor and also attacking me for doing what was right? Saving your students?!" She said in disbelief.

"I'm not judging for what you've done but I also care about you. It is normal to feel guilt on what had happened—"

Penelope sighed loudly.

"What? Is it wrong to care about you now?" Sebastian asked from the sighing.

"It is, honestly. Each time you do, it's like you hate yourself for it." Penelope murmured.

Sebastian clenched his hands at her honesty. She knew him so well — "Why are you like this?"

Penelope looked everywhere, but at him, losing her eyesight onto the new fixtures of the cottage, Doing everything she could to distract herself.

"Do you want me to hate you, Penelope? Do you want me to not care and just let you slowly die on your save? Is that what you want?" Sebastian cracked at her.

Yes. She wanted that. Penelope Silverthorn deserved that. She deserved more than death for leaving him. The pain she caused him. The abandonment. She deserved every negative thing.

"I left, Sebastian," Penelope blurted as a haunting reminder. It's like she was asking to rage the man at the harsh truth. "I left you eight years ago."

"And I waited." Sebastian admitted.

Penelope struggled to find the right response to the raw confession. Her heart was torn between regret and longing at the words.

"You got engaged." Penelope struck his words in a counterargument.

"I did get engaged," Sebastian sighed, looking down, "I was getting older."

Penelope closed her eyes and sighed again, not wanting to even think of the real reason why Sebastian Sallow was engaged. It wasn't her story to know, but to think that he might've settled just for time's sake burdened her.

"I waited." Sebastian's voice echoed in her head again.

This feeling. This feeling she felt. It was worse than standing on The Map Chamber entrance. It was painful. Regret and guilt were very dangerous enemies. They fueled the body with poison and destroyed a person until they gave up on their choices.

"Please, don't say that." Penelope whispered.

"Why not?" Sebastian whispered back.

Penelope needed fresh air. An escape. She was a coward now. A stupid coward. She'd rather leave again and deal with the guilt. Especially with the person she felt most guilty for. She had to leave.

Swallowing her own saliva, Penelope brought her weight up from leaning on the wooden table; her muscles ached now finally taking the effect of the drainage the magic caused, and she began to act like a coward.

"I appreciate the help, Sebastian, truly," Penelope said in a panic, "But I can't do this, and,"

Frankly, Sebastian Sallow was good at stopping Penelope Silverthorn from going places. He always did. So when Penelope tried to exit that cottage, Sebastian's hand clutched onto her wrist and turned her around in force.

Penelope gasped, looking down at the large hand that was taped over her wrist and was afraid to stare up.

"We're not doing this anymore." Sebastian called out, frustrated.

"No," Penelope cried, "We can't—"

"This is what you wanted," Sebastian warned her in harsh whispers, but they bounced from whispers and heavy tone, "...you wanted to be professional? Well, here we are. We are going to talk like two adults. You can't just leave after you had an unfinished apology in those gardens, Pen."

Penelope Silverthorn felt taken aback at the serious tone from Sebastian Sallow. She couldn't blame him, or anyone. He had every right to speak to her that way. Yell at her, or do anything to her.

"Okay," Penelope snatched her wrist from the man and stepped back, her breath harmonizing with his as she prepared a confession, "You want me to be professional about this? I left, Sebastian. I left eight years ago."

"As if I didn't know," Sebastian said in obvious.

Penelope was fused with so many emotions, "I left because my magic was corrupting me. I left because I made wrong decisions in that repository ten years ago. I left because The Keepers were only going to keep me going until I died at a young age with those trials. I left because I was going to lose you."

Sebastian stared at her, not wanting to take in the truth of reasoning, but tilted his head at the yell. "Lose me?"

Penelope's lips were wet and parted as she held in her cry from the reminders. "I was losing you. You hated my life at the end. You know that."

...

Penelope Silverthorn sat anxiously on the beige sofa in the Feldcroft home. Her thoughts were consumed with worry as her gaze was fixated on the lights above the dining room table.

"I thought Quidditch practice ended at eight today?" Anne Sallow questioned, sitting on the cracking chair of the dining table and setting up tea mugs.

Penelope sighed, not wanting to keep her thoughts in the negative of where her boyfriend really was. She kept it positive. As if the fights that were growing between them weren't causing ruptures.

"I thought so—"

Before a sentence could be clear, the wooden door of the cottage burst open. It was loud enough to make both girls jump as a figure stumbled upon, nearly falling down.

Sebastian Sallow wobbled drunk into the home. His eyes were bloodshot and his body posture was down as he tripped at every step once the door shut.

"Sebastian!" Anne let out from the shock of her twin brother being infused with who knows how much drinking.

Penelope stood up from that sofa, concerned, but kept a straight face. It clearly hadn't been the first time Sebastian passed his drinking limits, nor lied to her. The relationship was getting worse.

Sebastian chuckled, confronting Penelope, "Ah, she's here! What a surprise. Not another trial, we see?" He hiccuped.

Penelope's jaw clenched, her hands reaching to hold her boyfriend's weight from falling. "I thought you were in Quidditch practice."

"I...I was," Sebastian moaned out, "...but then...then I realized," he murmured, "...what's the point of returning if Pen is just going to not fucking be there. Like always."

Penelope flinched at the drunk words. The theory of him wanting to leave her soon from her ongoing trials and quests was becoming true. It was haunting her as time went by.

"You're drunk," Penelope sighed, sitting him down on the chair, but before she could, Sebastian's arm snatched from her.

"Don't," Sebastian warned, "...why are you here?"

Penelope stared at the intoxicated, "What do you mean? I sent an owl saying my trial ended soon. That tonight we could have tea with Anne and—"

"Oof," Sebastian burped, "Tea? Pen, when was the last time we even had fun? A laugh? Sex?"

Penelope's eyes widened in disbelief at Sebastian's crass question. The atmosphere in the room shifted, becoming tense and uncomfortable as Anne looked on with a mixture of surprise and discomfort.

Penelope felt a rush of embarrassment and anger wash over her as she struggled to find the right words to respond to Sebastian's inappropriate remark.

"You're drunk and saying nonsense now!" Penelope scoffed, "...have manners—"

"I almost kissed another girl today at Hogs Head," Sebastian coughed out unexpectedly.

Penelope let go of the man and gasped at the truth. Her body puzzled with pain and anger from the confession.

"What?" You could hear her tone wanting to crack from the information.

Sebastian Sallow winced at Penelope's pained reaction, but he was too intoxicated. "You clearly never give me attention anymore, so I sought it somewhere—"

"Oh, piss off!" Penelope cried out, preparing an exit.

Sebastian became angry himself, standing up, barely keeping a balance as the chair beneath him screeched and chased after the girl.

"I said, 'almost'!" Sebastian fixed with a childish yell, "...perhaps, if you weren't gone all the bloody time I wouldn't be in that position—"

"Fuck you!" Penelope yelled out in tears, "I've done everything I can to make time for you, Sebastian. You don't know what it's like for me."

"And you don't know what it's like for me either!" Sebastian spat at her, stumbling with each other, "It's all about you...P-Pen! You h-hurt my feelings. I'm your boyfrien-d...and I have only seen you twice this bloody week."

"I don't have a choice!" Penelope yelled.

"I should've kissed her," Sebastian said without thinking.

Penelope's throat itched at the man and she looked over at Anne Sallow. The twin held an expression of worry and guilt, wanting to hold back her twin brother from attempting another firing insult, but it was too late.

"Then go! Do it!" Penelope cried to him. "I don't care!"

Sebastian laughed, he laughed in hurt, not knowing what this would affect the next morning. "No, because...because...I'm a lo-loyal man."

...

Sebastian Sallow's jaw tightened at the memory and he closed his eyes. "But I apologized so many times after. We made-up. We were fine." He excused.

"It was getting worse, Sebastian," Penelope told him in worry, "And it was going to be that way forever."

Sebastian was in denial. He couldn't let the idea that he would ever leave Penelope Silverthorn. Although there was a toxicity of telling her he almost kissed a girl to make her jealous — he never saw a plan to lose her. He was angry, but he wanted to be with her angry.

"No," Sebastian shook his head.

"I know you." Penelope said in concern, "And I know I was hurting you too. I was always busy."

"No,"

"I lost my family at such a young age, Sebastian," Penelope explained, "I lost Professor Fig — I was losing people little by little. I didn't want to risk losing you. Losing myself in those trials."

"You're wrong." Sebastian declined her.

"No, I'm not." Penelope fought, "So, I became selfish and left. I left. I couldn't deal with even attempting to say I needed to go. I was a coward. I just cared about myself."

"You could've told me what The Keepers were doing to you." Sebastian said in worry.

"You hated them so much...I'll mention them so many times and you'll stop me and say you don't want to hear it." Penelope reminded.

Penelope was right. Sebastian curved the topic many times in the seventh year. When they finally got alone time together, the least he wanted to hear was about the people who took her from him.

Sebastian closed his eyes.

"And even so, I loved you too much — so fucking much," Penelope breathed, "—I had this selfish thought. I became selfish and left you a letter on our tree. I left a letter still giving myself a trial of making you run away with me."

Sebastian's face grew pale for a moment. The once denial expression he held on himself now became nauseous of the words. His eyes stared up at the witch and he furrowed.

"Letter? What letter?"

Penelope blinked, "What do you mean, what letter? I left everyone a hinted letter before I departed."

"Yeah, I know," Sebastian said harshly, still hurt from that day, "...except for me."

"I left yours in the tree." Penelope panicked, "I predicted you'd go to that tree. I know you. I do know you, or I thought I did."

Penelope Silverthorn began to panic at the idea. Maybe, she didn't really know Sebastian Sallow at all. Maybe, she was wrong and he never went back to that Enchanted Elm Tree after she left.

"I did go to that tree, Pen," Sebastian answered her intrusive thoughts, "...there was nothing, but muddy grass from the rain."

Penelope wanted to vomit. Her stomach was going in circles. And so did Sebastian Sallow. Both were ill at the thought.

"Don't say that," Penelope's breath was low, but you could feel the disbelief in her tone from the miscommunication.

Sebastian made a weird face, so many emotions at once from the new information. It was hitting him hard.

"You left me a letter?" He cracked.

Penelope's lips trembled, "I just...I...I—"

"Was it a goodbye?"

Penelope was muted, loss for words.

"Pen, what did the letter say?" Sebastian began to panic, mirroring her own expression as they both stared in shock.

"It was nothing." Penelope cried.

There were no tears in Penelope's eyes yet. It was difficult for her to cry it out, but the more she spoke, the more her voice began to crack, her lips tremble — it was step by step first.

"You're lying." Sebastian's voice became louder, "What did the letter say, Pen?!"

Penelope flinched, feeling Sebastian's hands cuff onto the sides of both of her shoulders as he confronted her closely. He obviously didn't mean to be aggressive, but it was just a crazy moment.

"To run away with me," The first tear came out Penelope like an artifact, you could gather so many memories from that tear, "...to sneak off with me the night of, that...that, we would've found a way to escape—that I knew you had a ten-year punishment, but I had a spell to lose your trace. That we could've...we could've ran away. And hide,"

Sebastian stood there, frozen in place, as if time had suddenly come to a halt. Penelope's words hit him like a thunderbolt, sending a shockwave of disbelief through his entire being. His mind struggled to process what he had just heard, his thoughts racing a mile a minute. His lips parted slightly, but no words came out. He felt a chill run down his spine, his heart pounding in his chest as he tried to comprehend the weight of the truth.

"But, I didn't expect you to," Penelope defended, "You...you had a life here. At Hogwarts. You had your friends, and your sister, Anne. Your career of being a professor. I understood."

Sebastian was breathing heavily, he almost stuttered. "Y-You thought...I declined because I didn't meet up with you, so you still left?"

Penelope's eyes glistened.

"You didn't even attempt to speak with me in person one last time? Tell me this—"

"I was a coward," Penelope cried, "And I was running out of time. The Keepers were going to start tracking me."

Sebastian ran his fingers through his hair frustratedly, his hands sweaty as his chest raised so much in those few minutes.

"I am not angry, Sebastian. Look where you are now and—"

"You wanted to run away?" Sebastian asked her, in denial, still, "...but, you were known and—"

"I would've thought we would be running away and changing our legal names. Far from everyone. It was just a thought. I didn't care about my reputation. Imagine being free? No longer being relied on?" Penelope said to herself.

Sebastian kept scoffing out of shock. It was so much to take in for him and for her, considering, it became a miscommunicated gesture.

Sebastian bit the inside of his lip.

"Things happen for a reason," Penelope sighed.

"No. Don't dare say that!" Sebastian pointed at her in disbelief, "And how dare you assume I wouldn't want to leave? Pen, I would've dropped everything for you and you know that!"

Penelope was mute.

"And you knew me so well, so you wrote me that letter. You knew me." Sebastian explained, "You knew me so well because I would've left with you. I would've done it, but there was no letter."

"But what about your career? Your sister? I was selfish. Maybe, it was fate that blew away the letter—"

"Oh, shut up," Sebastian said in anger now. His emotions were as mixed as Penelope's. "Anne was cured. Anne would've understood. She was not alone. Ominis was there too. And my career? I was better enough to be a father than a professor."

Penelope closed her eyes, more tears escaped her at his truth.

Sebastian eyed the sad woman. He was holding every blood cell in his body to fight the urge to let his guard down at the confession. He wasn't emotional. He's been through so much to get there, but this...this right here. It was difficult.

"You were willing to start your entire life over with me?" Sebastian asked.

Penelope wiped her nose with no hesitation, "Yes."

Sebastian gasped, but it wasn't a gasp of shock. It was a gasp of, 'what the fuck'. It made sense. Because, what the fuck?

"This isn't fair," Sebastian said in between.

Penelope wiped her eyes and forced herself to stare at Sebastian. A bit of concern and hurt on her face from his words.

"There were many times and ways you could've reached out, Pen." Sebastian was upset again, "So many opportunities. I mean, eight years, are you kidding me?"

Penelope cried again, "I was scared."

"Of what?!" Sebastian screeched.

"I thought you hated me by then," Penelope sobbed, "I wanted to come back after a few months, but I was afraid. I was a coward. I didn't have the face to confront everyone after leaving abruptly and while I thought that, months went by...years went by until it was too late."

"So, you took eight years?" Sebastian scoffed, "Or should I say, it would've been more if the plague case never came up."

Penelope licked her lips and closed her eyes, again.

Sebastian had lost any reaction to anything at that point. It was a repetitive cycle of feeling confused, angry, and frustrated: his hands running through his hair, his eyes closing and his sighs louder. He was losing it.

"It's okay to be mad at me," Penelope mumbled.

Sebastian shook his head, slapping his hand on his leg from the weight as he sighed.

"Nothing is your fault, Sebastian," Penelope gave a reminder. "This was mine and I'll live with it for the rest of my life, just like I have been the last years. It's not your—"

"Did you ever think once about how I'll feel?" Sebastian interrupted.

Penelope gulped, "You're a bright man, Sebastian Sallow. A smart one. You only knew me for two years."

"I wanted to marry you." The crack of Sebastian's voice sent Penelope into a spiral. You could clearly hear the pain he was hiding the last eight years in it.

The weight of his words filled the room, casting a shadow over the space between them. The rustling of the curtains in the cottage seemed to echo the uncertainty that now enveloped them

"You were going to marry someone else, Sebastian," Penelope trembled with accusation.

Sebastian gave a low groan at the reminder, knowing he was no longer engaged. "I'm not anymore. You know that."

Penelope did know that.

"Why? Is it because you're leaving again? Are you pushing the engagement back to me? You're leaving,"

Penelope sighed, coming back to reality. "Sebastian,"

"You're not." Sebastian didn't even stutter.

Penelope's tears were dry, but there was still a blend of hurt and many other emotions as she stared at the commands Sebastian gave her.

"You don't get to tell me what to do," Penelope said firmly.

Her words were a clear declaration of independence. As she always was. Sebastian thought to himself. A clear reminder that she was still herself.

"Not until you look at me in the eyes, Penelope Silverthorn," Sebastian breathed on her nose, "And tell me you're going to leave for another eight years."

Penelope felt a mix of vulnerability and defiance, unsure of how to respond to his demand. The tension between them crackled like electricity, filling the room with a palpable energy.

"What if I do?" Penelope chose fighting words.

"I'll wait another eight." Sebastian hoarsed out.

Penelope gave a scoff, "You're insane." And her body separated from Sebastian, their positions switching as she was now closer to the exit.

"No, you are insane for coming back and expecting sunshine and rainbows!" Sebastian yelled.

"I never expected this, nor anything of coming back." Penelope defended herself.

"Neither did I, but here we are." Sebastian raised his hands up, talking in dramatics as he moved around.

"Okay, you've held a grudge upon me since my arrival. Good for you. I explained my truth and I stand by it." Penelope became stubborn.

"Do you?" Sebastian faced her, "Or are you going to be a coward again, and leave?"

The tension in the room felt suffocating, like a thick fog descending upon them, obscuring everything else but their charged exchange. Every word was a weapon, cutting through the air with razor-sharp precision.

"I dare you to leave, Penelope." Sebastian wavered.

Penelope weakened as Sebastian let her go. She could feel his hands unclench her arms as he stepped back in defeat. He now placed his hands on his hips awaiting the movements.

Penelope couldn't understand if it was a challenge or not. She did need a breath of fresh air from outside. This surely was an excuse. She could walk out. Leave.

With a determined stride, Penelope turned on her heel and headed for the door, her steps echoing in the silence of the cottage.

Sebastian watched her go, his expression unreadable, a mixture of resignation and regret flickering across his features.

Penelope Silverthorn made her way into the embrace of nature, her footsteps echoing softly on the sand and then on the familiar wooden dock that stretched out before her. The dock was also fixed up.

There was a nostalgic feel as she walked into that wooden dock as if she were to jump on that water knowing she couldn't swim and take heavy breaths. She hoped the moisture of the waves would give her a sense of clarity.

The sky was painted in hues of pink, and orange as the sun dipped toward the horizon, casting a warm glow across the tranquil sea. Wispy clouds stretched like cotton candy, catching the last rays of sunlight; she remembered it all too well.

As she breathed in and out, the rhythmic sound of her breath mingled with the gentle creaks of the wooden dock behind her; you could feel the weight of the dock move as someone else approached.

Penelope Silverthorn closed her eyes one last time, debating her entire life on that dock.

"Pen,"

Sebastian barely had time to utter her name before Penelope turned abruptly and collided with him, their bodies meeting in a rush of unexpected intimacy.

Their lips met in a collision of desire and unresolved emotions, sending a jolt of electricity through both of them. It was perfect. Far away. Noiseless background. No interruptions. Perfect.

__________

Hint, chapter 28: **

(finally, I know. The slow-burn finally burnt!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.1K 3.1K 39
A year after being incarcerated in Azkaban, Sebastian Sallow is granted his freedom when evidence surfaces that clears him off his acts. Y/n looked...
73K 2.2K 47
As the reader a hufflepuff and Sebastian try to understand and navigate new found feelings for each other that grow in intensity. Sebastian also stru...
18.8K 554 57
Florence McCallister is leading a mediocre life in London after leaving Hogwarts 5 years ago, but when a familiar Slytherin walks back into her life...
16 0 8
Aurora Edevane is an 8th year Gryffindor student, the Captain of the Quidditch team and the Head Girl. Sebastian Sallow was her best friend in 5th ye...