๐™ณ๐š’๐š๐š—'๐š ๐™ฐ๐šœ๐š” ๐™ต๐š˜๐š› ๐šƒ๏ฟฝ...

By Zelelee

Notorious player, Jeon Jungkook, was just another one of my older brother Taehyung's friends from high school... More

1- Live-In Nightmare
2- Music Critic Cleaning Crew
3- Neat Freak vs Fridge
4- Working with an Ex
5- Raw Tomatoes and Uncooked Noodles
6- Avenger's Endgame and Sexual Tension
8- Triple Date
9- First Kiss
10- Too Far Gone
11- What Actually Happened
12- Guys are... Stupid
13- Hold Him Accountable
14- Don't Skip Meals
15- Oyakodon and Mixed Signals
16- Drowning in Confessions
17- Like Mother, Like Daughter

7- Hot and Cold

131 7 5
By Zelelee

::

The rest of the night was going fairly smooth as I saw the clock strike 10:00. Our last movie of the night let out at 10:05, and we were almost finished taking out the trash. After we cleaned this last theater, we would all be free to go home.

"Do you think that you and Jungkook could finish taking out the trash? If Chaeyoung and I start cleaning in 2, we'd get out sooner." Jimin offered as I looked at my phone. It was nearly 10:05, so I just sighed and nodded. Jungkook and I were spending far too much time alone today.

"I'll text you if we finish before you guys," Chaeyoung looked to me as I nodded and gave her a thumbs up. Not even three seconds later, the two disappeared from sight, leaving Jungkook and I to push the trash cart to the dumpster. We stayed silent the whole walk and quickly unloaded the bags into the smelly space. I didn't have enough energy to navigate a conversation with Jungkook. Sadly, he didn't feel the same way.

"Taehyung texted me earlier today. I told him about me beating you in Wii bowling." He sent me a teasing smile.

"Did you mention that I beat you in our rematch?" I quipped back. Jungkook's eyes rolled as he shook his head. He pulled the large door open for me to push the trash cart back into the electrical room and park it against the wall.

"He liked the idea of going bowling soon." Jungkook shifted the topic back. "He said that he doesn't have to work on Monday night, and neither do we. You should ask Chaeyoung and Jimin if they want to tag along, too."

I was so relieved he didn't dwell on his win over me that I almost forgot to respond to his comments. "Okay," I simply agreed. I didn't miss the look of surprise on his face.

I felt my phone go off in my pocket as I pulled it out and spotted a text from Chaeyoung, "They finished the theater, so we just need to clock out."

"Awesome," Jungkook sighed and I noticed him run his fingers through his hair. I tore my eyes from him as he glanced over my way in return. A small smirk appeared on his face as he started walking closer to me. I could only be thankful to the trash and sweat that was masking his cologne. "You know, when we work the same shifts, we should ride together. It'd save gas that way."

"Hell no," I responded quickly as Jungkook just laughed it off.

"Your loss. I'd let you DJ," he shrugged, but I wasn't giving in. The drive was one of the few times I didn't have to deal with him, and I wasn't about to add him to that, too.

"I'll pass," I rejected again as I looked over at him. He just continued to look down the hall as I narrowed my eyes slightly. What was his motive for asking that in the first place? Surely he didn't expect me to agree.

Once we met back up with Jimin and Chaeyoung, I gave them the rundown of the bowling plans. With a quick check of their schedules, the two eagerly agreed to go.

Chaeyoung smiled and looked my way with a slight smirk, "You should ask Yoongi to come. I'm sure he'd go, too."

"Oh yeah, I'll ask him on our way out," I nodded as I ignored her teasing look. I was just asking him because I would like for him to be there. Nothing more and nothing less.

We all headed to the back to clock out as I spotted Yoongi standing at the sink. He was almost done washing the dishes, but he was still a good 50 minutes away from freedom. Unfortunately, the wicked witch scheduled a 10:30 movie, so concessions couldn't close until 10:50.

"Hey," I called as I crossed the room. He glanced at me and smiled before looking back to the pile of dishes in front of him.

"Are you guys done?" he asked as he started spraying the power nozzle over one of the popcorn kettle pieces. I stepped away as water shot at me.

"Yeah," I voiced, "You wouldn't happen to be busy Monday night, would you?"

Yoongi glanced at me for a few seconds before looking back into the sink, "I think I'm off. Why?"

"Awesome," I smiled and tried to contain my excitement, "I'm inviting some friends to go bowling at AMF, and I was wondering if you wanted to go."

"Sounds fun," He smiled at me before grabbing a bundle of steel wool. "What time?"

"6:00," I informed, "It's gonna be me, Chaeyoung, Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook. That's all that I know of."

Yoongi's eyebrows raised at the mention of Jungkook. He lowered his voice and leaned toward me so that the others couldn't hear.

"You invited Jungkook to go?" he was completely perplexed.

"Uh, Jungkook was actually the one that had the idea in the first place. He found out that I've never been bowling, so now we're going." I didn't see an issue with my explanation until Yoongi's eyebrows furrowed.

"You two must have not dated very long for him to not know that," he mentioned as I nearly choked on my saliva. I forgot that Yoongi was under the impression that Jungkook and I used to date...

"It just never came up," I tried to play it up, but Yoongi was too intuitive for my lies.

"You love Wii bowling to death. What do you mean that it never came up?" He was quick to spot my bull crap as I felt my face heat up.

"Does it really matter?" I mumbled in embarrassment.

"Fine." Yoongi sighed and scrubbed at one of the kettle pieces. "I'll stop pestering you. I'll be there at 6 on Monday."

"Awesome," I smiled and backed away to clock out. As I turned, Jungkook's presence caused my heart to jump in surprise. I expected him to be gone the second he clocked out.

With my number punched out, I walked past him and to the back door. He pushed himself off the wall moments later, eyes glued to his phone, and followed behind me.

I couldn't stop myself from speaking up. "We don't have to walk together, you know."

He didn't look up from his phone. "Taehyung told me to walk you out when we work together. Just to be safe."

"And you're actually listening to him?" I laughed as Jungkook just ignored my comment. It didn't take long for us to reach our cars as I unlocked my car and opened the door to get in.

"I'll see you at home," I called out as Jungkook walked off toward his car. He turned, eyes catching mine, and sent me the same wave from the start of our shift.

I blasted the radio the whole way home, but my mind wouldn't let go of all that Chaeyoung said during our break.

No. Not happening.

::

The weekend crowd at work caused the days to drag on endlessly. It was the official opening weekend for Avengers, and every theater was packed to the brim with messy people of all ages and sizes. There was something about big movies that attracts the laziest people. As if it's acceptable to not clean up after yourself just because other people are doing it, too.

I'd barely had time to sleep when not at work, and I didn't have to even think about Jungkook for the whole weekend. We worked opposite shifts for two days, and then on Sunday he worked concessions while I was on cleaning. Like always.

After the busy weekend came and went, Monday was finally here. Jungkook and I had the whole day off while Taehyung had a morning shift to work until 12. I had every intention to avoid Jungkook until Taehyung got home, but those plans fell through very quickly when I left my room to each lunch.

We locked eyes in the kitchen, looking away almost instantly as if neither of us were happy to see the other. I brushed past him and tried to ignore just how strong his cologne smelled today. It seemed like he put on more than usual.

"I'm pretty sure that Taehyung's inviting some people to come bowling with us," Jungkook broke the silence, to my surprise. I opened up the pantry, narrowing my eyes at the disorganized mess in front of me, and ignored all words Jungkook threw at me. Who kept doing this? It had to be Jungkook. Taehyung knew I always put the breakfast bars on the third shelf on the right and not the second shelf in the middle.

"I think he's inviting Jennie."

Suddenly, the breakfast bars weren't important. "What?" I spun around and narrowed my eyes. "Why?"

"I'm not sure," Jungkook shrugged, sarcasm laced in his voice. "Maybe because he likes her?"

"Just because she's shown him interest?" I shook my head. I didn't like this. Nothing about this girl has sounded trustworthy. "If she broke your heart, wouldn't she just do the same to Tae?"

I didn't miss the brief flinch in his eyes at my question. "She didn't break my heart. It was just a physical attraction thing."

A huge part of me didn't believe him for a second. "So you wouldn't be tempted to make a move?"

He huffed in annoyance and turned his head away. I fully turned to face him and crossed my arms over my chest.

"I'm sure she knows you're home, too," I suggested. "And that you'll be there tonight. What if she's just trying to see you?"

Based on the way he refused to look at me as a deep breath filled his lungs, I knew it wasn't impossible.

I turned back to the pantry and grabbed for the loaf of bread. "If it's too late to uninvite her, just keep that in mind. And," I spun around and closed the door, "don't let her lead Tae on."

He softly scoffed, "You really think the worst of me? That I'd do that to him?"

"I do," I didn't miss a beat. The flash of hurt in Jungkook's eyes wasn't lost on me, and I looked away. "She broke up with you."

I turned to open the fridge to search for sandwich add-ons when a hand pressed against the door to slam it closed. I spun around to glare at Jungkook, and my breath hitched again. He was so close, he smelled so good, and his eyes were tearing through me with unadulterated fury.

When he didn't say anything for several suffocating seconds, I tore my eyes away. "What is your—?"

"Why does she bother you so much?" he snapped. "You can't stop talking about her."

I swallowed. "She was invited. You brought her up first."

My eyes drifted back to Jungkook's, and my skin felt like it was on fire. One of his hands was on the fridge, the other on the counter next to me, and I was fully caged into him. We were standing this close far too often for my taste.

"Okay," Jungkook laughed humorlessly, "What about Yoongi?"

My eyebrows furrowed. "Yeah, what about Yoongi?"

"You think he's interested in you?"

My mouth hung open for a few seconds. How did he know? "That's none of your business."

"So," Jungkook's eyes flicked downward, and I could feel my heart racing. His head lowered slightly, closing the gap in our height difference, and my breathing became even more erratic. His cologne grew stronger the longer we stood like this, but I didn't push him away.

He continued, a soft smirk playing on his face. "Is he the jealous type?"

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't answer that. "That doesn't concern you, either."

"Well, hypothetically," Jungkook swallowed and tilted his head to the left. "If he saw us like this... would he kick my ass?"

I finally found my senses enough to press a hand to his chest and lightly push, "He would if I told him to." I had no evidence to back that statement.

Unfortunately, Jungkook got me thinking. What would Yoongi do?

His bangs brushed up against my forehead as Jungkook moved his hand off the counter and rested it on the small of my back. I started to push against his chest in an attempt to move away, and his grip on me loosened. I got a little distance on him when he spoke again.

"I don't think he'd do it," Jungkook taunted, and I halted my movements. "And neither do you."

Without another word, as if it were completely acceptable and normal, he pulled away from me with a few steps backward. He backed out of the kitchen, still facing me, and a shameless wink sent my way.

"I guess we'll find out later."

::

Time finally came for Taehyung to get home as relief washed over me. I was getting sick and tired of being home alone with Jungkook, whether we were avoiding each other or not.

"Ari~!" Taehyung sang as I stepped out of my room. "I invited two coworkers to come bowling with us tonight."

I raised an eyebrow curiously. He was a little too excited and eager for the topic. He pulled out his phone and started scrolling in search for something. "I invited Jennie to go, and I know," he glanced up at me, "how you probably feel about that."

I glanced away and huffed. "That it's a mistake?"

Taehyung ignored my comment as he turned his phone around for me to see his screen. A photo of a guy stared back at me, and his face was eerily familiar. "This is Jung Hoseok. He's an old friend of mine from high school. Do you remember him?"

I nodded as his words jogged my memory. "Yeah, I think I remember him. I'm pretty sure he gave me a ride home one day after school when you went home with Jungkook after dance practice."

"Oh yeah," Taehyung nodded and smiled, "He's gonna be there tonight. And I might have already I told him a little about you."

Surprise was written all over my face as Taehyung laughed. My eyebrow raised as I eyed him carefully. "My brother, Kim Taehyung, is trying to set me up?" Surely I misunderstood...

"I know, I know," he shook his head and pulled me further down the hall and into the living room. Jungkook sat on the couch, and I was suddenly hyperaware that he was listening to this, too.

"I've been pretty harsh in the past, but I'm feeling real guilty. I know I'm... to blame that you've never been in a relationship," he showed me a few more pictures of Hoseok on his phone. "But I know Hoseok's a good guy. And he looked very interested."

My eyes drifted past Taehyung for a second too long as I studied Jungkook. His eyes never left the TV as he channel surfed, and the volume increased with every word between Taehyung and I.

Taehyung glanced back and moved us toward the kitchen to add a little more distance between us and Jungkook. "You can't tell me you're not interested, Ari."

"Well," I felt my cheeks heating as Taehyung leaned against the hallway wall, "Yeah, he's pretty cute."

I jumped at the sound of Jungkook clearing his throat, "As much as I like hearing about you setting your sister up, it'd be great if you could have this conversation in a different room."

I jumped to Taehyung's defense, as if I suddenly wanted Jungkook to hear all of this. "Just don't listen to a conversation you're not apart of. Simple."

"Except you're being too loud to ignore," he leaned forward from the couch, and our eyes caught each other's. "I can't hear the TV over you two."

I walked back toward the living room and crossed my arms. "You have a TV in your room, too," I quipped, "So you can ignore us in there. Behind your door."

I almost missed the way Jungkook's jaw tensed. "You sure about this, Tae?" Taehyung glanced around the hallway wall after being addressed. "I'm not sure your kid sister is mature enough for Hoseok's tastes."

"I'm sorry?" I glared at Jungkook.

His eyes shifted to me. "He's three years older than you."

"And?" I shook my head. To say I was shocked was an understatement! "Yoongi is also three years older than me."

"Well, Yoongi knows how immature you are," Jungkook remarked as Taehyung groaned. "But Hoseok doesn't know what he's getting into."

"Kook," Taehyung tried to jump in, but I cut him off.

"Yes, I'm sure you're the relationship expert here," I took a step closer to him, and his eyebrows raised. "Tell me. What was your longest relationship?"

"Ari..." Taehyung whined, but we'd both tuned him out.

"Longer than any of yours," Jungkook looked up at the ceiling for a second. "Oh. Well..." a knowing smirk placed on his face, and I marched up to him. He stood up from the couch, and I stabbed my finger into his chest.

"Just keep your opinions to yourself." Jungkook didn't move my hand away, and I leaned up in my tiptoes to decrease the height difference. "My dating life has nothing to do with the likes of you."

"Okay!" Taehyung grabbed my arm and pulled me off balance. He held me steady to walk me back a few steps. "Children. You two are children."

We both rambled out personal defenses as I turned to face my brother, but he waved his hands and yelled unintelligibly to cut us off.

"Jungkook," Taehyung pointed to the man in question, "butt out of this. And Ari," he turned to point at me, "lay off the whole sleeping around thing, okay? We're not in high school anymore."

A petty laugh left my throat, along with one last comment. "Because college is when you repent and swear celibacy."

Taehyung's irritation didn't dissipate, and I just looked away from him.

"How is that different from him making fun of me being single?" I focused my eyes on the TV, now muted and featuring some live police chase.

"Your desperation is overflowing," Jungkook stepped back in, "Like you'll jump any guy that gives you the time of day."

I turned back to him, "As long as the guy isn't you!"

Taehyung sighed and groaned behind me before disappearing into the kitchen to get distance from the two of us.

Jungkook remained quiet as he took a step closer. We were now only a few feet away from each other with glares shooting in the other's direction. I was even doing a decent job not getting too focused on how good he smelled... Or maybe not.

"Why are you so obsessed with my love life, anyway?" I asked in a much softer voice than before. I was almost afraid for Taehyung to hear my question, and Jungkook had the same idea. He replied at an equally low volume.

"Right back at you."

The two of us continued to stare into the other's eyes as I found my harsh glare melting somewhere along the way. Jungkook's eyes followed suit until neither of us were glaring at the other. This atmosphere mirrored that of the other day—when he asked if I was okay.

"Did you two eat?" Taehyung called from the kitchen as both Jungkook and I answered at the same time.

"No."

"Cool, let's order something."

Jungkook and I moved away from each other. We pretended like nothing ever happened as I walked into the kitchen to shift topics with Taehyung.

I couldn't help but dwell on Jungkook's hot and cold nature here recently. Just now, why did he look so... soft? It was going to bother me until I got answers, and unfortunately for me, I didn't really want any answers.

::

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

286K 14.6K 31
The landlord looks at the both of us, unsure of what to say. "I'm sorry but this is the last apartment here left. Why can't you just split cost and b...
2.3K 182 33
- In the bustling halls of Haneul University, a 19-year-old girl named Kim Y/N arrives. Wealthy but burdened with a sense of isolation. Fate leads he...
39.9K 1.4K 162
Summary: She may think she has Bangtan Sonyeondan wrapped around her fingers. She may think it is easy to love the members equally without hurting a...
193K 5.5K 65
"You know being this close to you makes it hard for me to control myself." My eyes grew wide as I did not expect him to say such words. I couldn't t...