The Seventh Voyage

Por Claire_ry

Set in the Joseon Era, The Seventh Voyage is an award-winning novel revolving around the tale of two pirates... M谩s

Prologue The Seventh Voyage
Chapter 1 Cursed Hell
Chapter 2 Colliding Dreams
Chapter 3 Mystery
Chapter 4 Mired
Chapter 5 Gaze
Chapter 7 Mercy

Chapter 6 Muse

122 14 7
Por Claire_ry

CLASH!

A series of clashes and bangs woke Jeongjo from his sickly daze in the morning following his inescapable release from his prison cell. Stumbling across the wooden interior of the pirates' makeshift sleeping quarters, Jeongjo was mildly grateful when his body finally decided to cooperate – lest he could have torn off a hammock or two. The ship creaked rhythmically to the distant, lapping waves, which would have been a peaceful lull to wake up to, had there not been such a ruckus happening onboard The Lonely Whale.

What Jeongjo didn't know was this:

It was the sixth day of the week.

And for a Captain who ruled as fiercely as Yeo Wol does with that iron fist of hers, the sixth day of the week always meant a morning of gruelling and sweat-inducing training for her crew.

Whether or not there was a threat of a coming war, it was in Yeo Wol's principles that they had to be strong, united, and ready for all that was to come. So, on the sixth day of every week, the southern pirates trained diligently under the careful guidance of their Captain.

And Jeongjo was just about to get his first taste of that.

The series of clashes and bangs only grew louder and more prominent as Jeongjo emerged from the sleeping quarters, eyes blinking against the harsh, morning light. Just a mere two feet away from him were two of Yeo Wol's crew members, locked in a swordfight, their blades flashing and clanging like the rest of the crew around them as they tried to get the upper hand against their mates.

The "friendly" sparring almost resembled a drunken brawl, and Jeongjo wouldn't be too surprised if some of the pirates were hungover from their night of drunkard reveries, judging by their sloppy hits and misplaced footing. Suddenly, a yelp was heard as a stocky little man tumbled backwards from the impact of his sparring partner's blade, sending him overboard in a rather undignified heap.

"Man overboard!" His partner bellowed and those within hearing range reacted instantly, rushing over the railing to help their mate. A thick rope was tossed overboard and the pirate emerged minutes later, spluttering and cursing as his partner gave him a rough slap on his back, laughing at his mate's misfortune.

"That ought to wake ye, Roddy. A good dunking, just what the doctor ordered for a sleepy lad!"

A chortle of obnoxious laughter ensued, as Roddy got up and shot them all a withering look before he stalked up towards Jeongjo.

Jeongjo could barely hide the amusement playing at his lips as Roddy slinked towards him, his clothes plastered to his body like a second skin, his sodden clothes leaving behind pools of salt water.

"Blasted Looney," he mumbled. "Clumsy oaf couldn't hit the broadside of a barn."

This time, Jeongjo couldn't stifle his laughter and a snort escaped his lips, causing Roddy to shoot him a glare.

"Got a problem with the way I be lookin', ya scurvy dog?" Roddy growled.

Holding his hands up in mock surrender, Jeongjo stepped aside to let Roddy pass, and the little man finally trudged off and disappeared below the deck – most likely to sulk and change.

Their little interaction quickly became forgotten when a chorus of hoots and shouts sounded from the other end of the main deck. Curious, Jeongjo made his way past the hoards of fighting pirates to join the rest of the crew that had been watching a particularly riveting fight between their Captain and her second mate.

And there she stood, in the heart of the battle, breathing heavily as she eyed her second mate with unwavering confidence. Despite the sweat dripping down her brows, Yeo Wol remained unfazed as they continued sparring back and forth, drawing more cheers from their watching mates.

There was a sense of unfaltering steadiness to her movements, despite facing off with a man much bigger than her. From experience, Jeongjo could tell that the Captain's opponent was trained in the art of swordplay, for he wielded his cutlass like it was an extension of his arm and was merciless in his strikes. Still, the Captain anticipated every move and was matching his strikes cleanly, deflecting each blow with well-practised ease.

It was a dance – their fight. One that Yeo Wol clearly led. What her second mate won in strength, Yeo Wol won in grace.

The fearless captain moved to her own internal beat – in fact, she owned it – and everything made sense. Jeongjo could see exactly what she was playing at, for Yeo Wol was drawing out the fight not because she needed to, but rather, because she could.

Jeongjo couldn't help but chuckle at Yeo Wol's sheer brazenness as she continued to play with her second mate just like those wild cats often would when they caught their prey. None of them were complaining, for the clash of steel was certainly a captivating sight as every parry, every riposte drew a collective breath from the crowd.

Suddenly, with a masterful flourish, Yeo Wol decided to go in for the killing blow, sending her second mate stumbling back with one clean swipe of her trusty blade. The crowd roared to life instantly, whooping and cheering for their Captain whose face remained impassive as she lowered her sword and offered her hand to her second mate. However, if one were to take a closer look at her, one would see the slight smile gracing her lips, for Yeo Wol always loved a good fight.

"Isn't she the best?" A young girl whom he would later come to know as Heuk Myo said, her eyes glimmering with nothing but pure admiration for the Captain who took her in when she could have killed her instead.

Jeongjo simply nodded at her comment, silently acknowledging the girl's words as he watched the Captain converse with her second mate before she waved her hand in his direction, as though she was beckoning him forward.

Instinctively, Jeongjo took a step forward despite his confusion, but the girl next to him beat him to it as she skipped over to the Captain with a childlike grin plastered across her face.

Jeongjo stepped back, trying to mask his awkwardness as he looked around the main deck. Yet, despite his attempts, he couldn't help how his eyes drifted aimlessly back to the Captain.

Jeongjo wouldn't admit it, but deep down, he was glad his eyes betrayed him because, for the first time since they met, he got to witness the soft side of Yeo Wol – a side that few got to experience. But he supposed after experiencing it himself the night before, he wasn't even mildly astonished by the gentleness Yeo Wol displayed as she caressed the young girl's hair.

After all, she didn't have to throw him that blanket. Perhaps somehow, Jeongjo knew from the get-go that the Captain had a gentle side to her; one that wasn't afraid to love or feel.

He wondered what happened for her to desire to maintain her reputation as a cold, unfeeling Captain whose only fear was to feel.

Amidst the flurry of activity onboard, Jeongjo stood enthralled by the Captain of The Lonely Whale.

"Shoulders down. Keep your back straight." Yeo Wol commanded softly as Heuk Myo resumed her position with her bow and arrows.

"Eyes on the target...Release."

The arrow streaked through the air with deadly accuracy, sinking into the center of the bolder they often used for target practice. Glancing over at her Captain, Heuk Myo's grin said it all as she sought her approval from Yeo Wol.

Yeo Wol simply nodded, her expression stoic yet tinged with a hint of pride. That was all a little girl like Heuk Myo needed as she resumed her position with renewed determination, hoping that one day, she would be skilled enough to save her mentor's life.

It was then Yeo Wol noticed their latest addition in the shadows, leaning against a row of crates with an unreadable expression on his face. He had been watching her – she was sure of that – but oddly enough, instead of feeling out of sorts with that, she felt emboldened by his gaze.

That was precisely why Yeo Wol flicked a dagger from her belt with a practised flick of her wrist. The dagger arced through the air, catching the sunlight before embedding itself with a satisfying thunk into the crate right next to Jeongjo's right ear. Almost infuriatingly so, the man didn't even flinch. Rather, he simply reached out, retrieved the dagger, and gave a curt nod of acknowledgement before he sent the dagger flying back towards the pair. This time, the dagger embedded itself into the bolder they had been using for target practice; a perfect bullseye.

A flicker of surprise, quickly concealed by a subtle, intrigued smile, crossed Yeo Wol's face and she tilted her head ever so slightly in his direction – a silent invitation for him to join her.

Neither spoke when Jeongjo was by Yeo Wol's side, but he could see her studying him silently. Little did he know, Yeo Wol was sussing him out for his injuries, for she wished to see him fight.

"Let me see your form." She determined abruptly before she called her second mate forward. "Fisheye, battle."

Like a switch, Jeongjo's face hardened as he stood facing Fisheye. The crew quickly gathered around them, always greedy for a fight.

And then the fight started.

The pirates watched in stunned silence as Jeongjo met Fisheye's attack, deflecting his blade with surprising skill and swiftness. The pair quickly became a blur of controlled movements that became more aggressive once they realised how strong their opponent was.

Even with his fatal injury, Jeongjo was a force to be reckoned with, and everything about the man fed Yeo Wol's curiosity over the mystery surrounding this man as the fight raged on.

This wasn't just a man who knew his way around a dagger; this man was in fact a formidable fighter.

The fight ended in a stalemate, and cheers erupted from the pirates as they swarmed around Jeongjo, congratulating him and peppering him with pleas for him to teach them to fight.

On the sidelines, Yeo Wol watched the scene unfold, her lips set in a curious frown as she tried to figure out the man who was an enigma to her.

Ever so slowly, the excitement of the day died down with the setting sun, and Yeo Wol found Jeongjo studying the roiling waves leading towards the northern seas. It was a wonder how he seemed so at home on her ship, but she chose not to comment on that as she handed him a bowl of water silently.

This time, Jeongjo wasted no time in gulping down the water.

Then, all was silent between them once more.

"Not bad." Yeo Wol spoke coolly after a minute, choosing to look anywhere but at those enrapturing eyes of his – those goddamn eyes that haunted her very dreams with feelings so dormant that they seemed like a part of her distant past.

Jeongjo nodded his head in acknowledgement of her praise as he kept his eyes from straying towards the Captain. Instead, he turned their attention towards the most mundane of topics, hoping that was enough to keep the electrifying tension between them at bay.

"Do you do this every week?" Jeongjo asked.

"We have to be ready," Yeo Wol spoke matter-of-factly as though there was a constant threat of death looming over their heads.

A bout of laughter sounded behind them as the pirates reenacted Roddy's recent run-in with the oceans and Jeongjo found himself wincing sympathetically.

"Everyone here seems...close," He observed, throwing a glance behind his shoulders at the pirates.

"There's this saying...Pirates are like a band of unlikely brothers," Yeo Wol said, a hint of pride in her voice. "They're as close as family can get to me. So, I must protect them. Which reminds me...Where did you learn to fight like that?"

"I had to learn to protect myself."

"Does this have something to do with the people who attacked you?"

A tense pause hung heavily between them and Yeo Wol's eyes narrowed.

"I need to know if you will become a threat," she pressed firmly.

Jeongjo met her gaze unflinchingly. "I understand," he said. "And to answer your question, yes. Not everyone in this world is good."

"I know," Yeo Wol nodded curtly at his words. "That is why I'm here."

"What's your story?" They were eye to eye now and neither wanted to look away as Jeongjo asked the very question that had been on his mind since that morning.

"Orphaned girl," she began with a wry smile on her face. "Dumped in the water. Saved by a whale," she finished with a sardonic chuckle.

"And now you're the captain of the Southern seas," Jeongjo remarked.

"Interesting...he knows the seascape well." Yeo Wol thought silently to herself before she spoke again. "Indeed. Good things come out of one's misfortune, I reckon."

"And what's yours?" Yeo Wol asked.

"Orphaned boy," he began. "A grandmother who hates my guts. Saved by...you," he finished with a ghost of a smile playing across his lips.

Clearly taken aback, a silence quickly settled between them, only interrupted by the gentle lapping of waves beneath them. Yeo Wol didn't spend years carving a fortress around her heart just for it to be rendered useless against this man she knows nothing about. Yet, in that fleeting moment, Yeo Wol felt her hardened resolve slip as she was touched by Jeongjo's sincerity. Somehow, the man in front of her had managed to crack a tiny hole in her guarded heart and Yeo Wol didn't know whether she liked that.

Just like that, her fight or flight response kicked in and she instantly withdrew, shaking off the unfamiliar flutter within her. The warmth, like a dying ember, flickered and faded, leaving behind a hollowness that echoed the vastness of the sea around them.

"Good night," she said abruptly; her movements almost awkward as she put some distance between them.

"Night, Captain," Jeongjo replied, a touch of formality returning to his voice.

She could have walked away then, but Yeo Wol found herself hesitating for a moment before she turned back to him.

"Yeo Wol," she said. "That's my name."

It was a command; an order for him to call her by her name, one that made Jeongjo's heart skip a beat as he studied her intensely.

"I'm...Jeongjo," he finally said.

Yeo Wol found herself breathing again. "Good night, Jeongjo," Yeo Wol said softly, turning to head below deck.

"Good night, Yeo Wol," Jeongjo echoed; her name a strange melody on his tongue.

The sound of it lingered long after she was gone and Jeongjo found himself repeating her name over and over again, smiling like a fool under the silvery glow of the elusive moon. It was a fragile thing, this unexpected connection, as ephemeral as moonlight on water, but it held the promise of a dawn unlike any he had ever known.

And because of this promise, Jeongjo knew he wanted to hold onto this...

...to hold onto her.

At that moment, Jeongjo knew.

Captain Yeo Wol was going to be the bane of his existence...

...but she was also undoubtedly the muse of his every desire. 

Seguir leyendo

Tambi茅n te gustar谩n

4.4K 239 6
"I reckon ye only be mad at me," he started, his eyes closing shut like he knew the prince would bring him no harm. " 'Cause ye 'ave no freedom in ye...
1.4K 99 20
When Yun SeByeol, 21 years old bilingual girl, who lives on earth filled with both magic and technology, doesn't obey her grandmother and drink somet...
606 61 26
A broke Atiny. My only identity. What happens when I transmigrate into an entirely different world and get a chance to do everything I've ever wanted...
257K 11.1K 70
Sneaking aboard the ship of a renowned space pirate may not have been the best idea, but you'll have to make do with what fate has handed to you. War...