The Withered Land, THE EMPIRE...

By JosephArmstead

D'Spayr, the EARLY YEARS ... nearly two decades before meeting the Sorcerer-Princess Nygeia and before encoun... More

THE EMPIRE FALLS: HELL'S AVATAR -- PART ONE
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWO
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART THREE
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART FOUR
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART FIVE
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART SIX
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART SEVEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART EIGHT
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART NINE
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART ELEVEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWELVE
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART THIRTEEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART FIFTEEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART SIXTEEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART SEVENTEEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART EIGHTEEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART NINETEEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY-ONE
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY-TWO
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY-THREE
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY-FOUR
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY-FIVE
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY-SIX
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY-SEVEN
HELL'S AVATAR -- PART TWENTY-EIGHT

HELL'S AVATAR -- PART FOURTEEN

220 23 0
By JosephArmstead

A fresh wave of flames driven before an invisible wall of force relentlessly rushed forward through the chaotic throng, expending its energy against the damaged walls of the Space Terminal, and a swirling fog of ash and choking smoke deepened over the street.

A three-wheeled mechanized transport cart was loudly knocked front-over-back into the air, broken glass, spinning fragments of metal and corrosive fuel from its ruptured tanks flying through the air, as one of the massive otherworldly creatures knocked the cart aside while swiftly shouldering past it, goaded by the frenzied whipping of the shining being astride its broad back.

One of the thing's flesh-tethered flea-wolves leapt out away from the beast and landed heavily upon a matronly woman who'd been desperately running from out the monster's path. The flea-wolf began savaging her, brutally tearing at her clothing and flesh, with feral abandon. Her already heart-rending screams reached a new level of hysteria.

Mercifully, and tragically, it took only a pair of heartbeats for the screams to stop.

The sound of a quartet of rough percussive coughs was nearly lost in the cacophony. Four smoking comet tails streaked from the mechanical housing of Mune'stahr's shoulder epaulets towards the monster. Smart-targeting grenade cartridges. All four of the explosive projectiles converged on the front of the massive beast's body and impacted in a deafeningly loud flash of orange light...

Meanwhile, Pylott had unleashed a steady stream of fire from her Delta Cannon smart-rifle, the dozen or so shells ripping through the increasingly shrinking distance between her position and that of the creature's with deadly intent, each shell capable of punching a fist-sized hole through a half-foot width of titanium steel...

The creatures screamed, abruptly stopping in their tracks, as the grenades and the heavy caliber bullets struck home. Blue-black blood flew in gouts from their wounds, but Mune'stahr and Pylott could see the wounds immediately begin to stitch back together as the beasts' alien physiology initialized a heightened healing factor. The front ends of the beasts rose high above the ground, their flailing forward hooves punching at the air, as the pain they experienced fought with their conditioning against the control of their alien riders. The flea-wolves on their umbilicals briefly dropped to the ground writhing, reflecting the surprised agony of their main hosts, only to quickly jump back up with renewed ferocity, seeking more victims.

The monsters righted themselves and, invigorated by pain and rage, resumed their charge.

Mune'stahr activated the forward sear-beams in his armor's wrist gauntlets. Pylott lowered the muzzles of her Delta Cannon rifle and did the same. The sizzling beams of irradiated coherent light flicked across the space separating the combatants instantaneously and scored inches-deep smoking, bubbling scars across the tough flesh of the approaching beasts, but the effect served only to induce even more anger and brutish savagery from the massive creatures. Again, their wounds quickly began healing while they watched.

The creatures had been artificially engineered, assuming they weren't so alien as to already be as naturally ruggedized as they appeared to be, for a heightened level of extreme durability, maybe even possessing hybridized biogen-nanotechnology. They'd be vulnerable to a full assault from a fighter craft or from a troop-mover, but not from the lesser firepower contained in mobile battlesuits. They weren't stopping them.

A sudden electronic screech overrode the chaotic noises of battle and a pair of light beams so bright they scarred the retina lanced across the battle zone to burn into one of the mighty beasts. The beams were so dazzlingly luminous they exceeded the definition of whiteness and as they lanced through the air, they each emitted a rippling corona of immeasurable heat. The light rays were dissolving and deconstructing the molecular content of the air itself as they punched into the area behind the insectivorid head of the monster on the right of where Mune'stahr and Pylott's position. The beams were completely unlike the sear-beams from Mune'stahr's combat suit. These scintillating shafts of light did not burn. They disintegrated.

The monster grunted loudly and stumbled, its front legs collapsing as it pitched the underside of its huge torso onto the street as it fell. The huge body slid from the velocity of its charge. As it smashed to the ground, its rangy, towering rider fell from out the stirrups of his saddle-cradle and tumbled heavily onto the street wailing. The fallen rider rolled and awkwardly tried to regain its footing, failed, and then sat dazed and disoriented from the impact. The beast's sudden plunge threw the collection of umbilical-connected flea-wolves high into the air. They fell, yanked down in the collapse, slapping heavily onto the hard surface of the street, their segmented carapaces bursting open and oily mucoid liquids seeping out to puddle in the debris. The dying beast briefly moaned, but the sound was cut off as another destructive beam of light punched into its misshapen hybrid skull.

Mune'stahr fired off the last of his grenade cartridges at the remaining monster, but its mysterious, otherworldly rider had turned it away from its charge at he and Pylott and the explosives concussed ineffectually in mid-air, the shockwave rolling back at the seasoned Star Legion SpecOps trooper. He and Pylott instinctually raised and crossed their arms to stave off the effects of the multiple blasts.

Following the rider's line of sight, he and Pylott finally noticed the man emerging from the haze and gloom. Taller and broader than Mune'stahr, they did not recognize the armor he wore nor the symbolic icon-designation on the armor's chestpiece. But Mune'stahr had recognized the exemplary vintage of the weapon the man had used against the monster. It had been outlawed for military use nearly a decade ago: a defractor-level pistol called a shatter-bolt. You don't wound anything with a defractor ray. You demolish it. No one was allowed to carry the things.Mune'stahr noticed the man wore two of them, one holstered on a belt at the hip and the other in a shoulder-rig. But that wasn't what caught his attention as the vigilante soldier strode purposefully towards the remaining monster.

It was the elegant, if evil-looking, twin-bladed shatter-sword in his left fist that caught Mune'stahr's eye. A shatter-sword, another non-qualified, ancient weapon outlawed by the Emperium. It was a sword with twin double-edged triangular blades made from a rare dense, molecularly-hybridized alloy found only in the heart of a comet. When activated by its wielder's telepathic command, it vibrated at dangerous infrasound frequencies, focusing lethal subsonic, seismo-acoustics in a tight, weaponized plane enveloping the metal of the sword's blades.

A very, very lethal weapon.

Standing next to him, Pylott voiced Mune'stahr's thought aloud as the big man, calm as if he were striding towards an evening's dinner, approached the furious, mammoth mutant brute and its hissing, demonic rider.

"Who in all the pits of The Nine Great Hells is that? He can't be what I'm thinking he is, can he? I mean, there's no such thing anymore as a Knight, right?"

"Wrong," Mune'stahr said softly, his grudging amazement evident in his tone.

Standing defiantly in his saddle's stirrups, the inhuman rider snapped his flaming whip threateningly at the armored man.

Unruffled, the Knight walked by the rider's dazed, still disoriented and concussed comrade and casually flicked the sword out in a swift, efficiently brutal motion. The sword's blades sliced through sprawled alien seemingly without encountering any physical resistance at all. The creature stiffened and let out a squawk as subsonic death ripped into and radiated throughout its seated form. The blinding glare emanating from its body quickly faded and then went dark, like a candle's flame abruptly snuffed out. The sword withdrew on the slow upswing, exiting the body in a bloodless arc.

The Knight didn't bother to so much as give the now-lifeless creature a second glance and continued his advance towards the second burning rider and his massive, loathsome mount.

Howling, the rider leaned back on his stirrups and the monster raised up, towering high, extending its flexible, tentacle-like umbilical connectors as it loosed the fury of the flea-wolves attached to it.

The Knight ran forward at a sprint, the sword held in a two-handed grasp, his motion a visual blur as he engaged his armor's exoskeletal muscular enhancements, and he sped around the creature slicing and stabbing at its attacking collection of symbiotic minions with balletic, martial efficiency. Every time one of the appended hound-parasites died, the larger insectivorid mammoth roared its agony. Then, the Knight grabbed hold of one of the now-severed umbilicals and hurriedly clambered up the writhing appendage to stand atop the monster. In a couple of moments he stood atop the beast's back facing the coruscating glare of its rider. The rider swung and kicked at the Knight... to no avail.

The inhuman thing was sliced from shoulder to groin in one unstoppable stroke and the Knight let the motion continue to bury half the length of the dual-bladed weapon into the monster's back.

The startled creature suddenly froze, its primitive brain trying to compute the extent of its injuries even as the vibrations from the sword rapidly magnified them to mortal status, tearing its insides asunder.

It fell, plopping limply to the street, and died. It's rider's halved body, no longer glowing, slid off into the dirt and debris.

The dark and ominous rotating cloud that birthed the cyclonic microburst dissipated like dream-vapor.

The Knight clambered off from the alien beast's carcass and he waved over to a shell-shocked trio of weary uniformed territorial police, indicating it was safe for them to approach. A crew of tousled and disheveled Emergency Medical technicians with equipment cases and floating mag-lev gurneys followed them.

"Please tell me he's an ally," Pylott said softly. "Because if he's not, we're in very serious trouble."

She looked up at her partner. Unbelievable. Mune'stahr was smiling broadly. Pylott raised an eyebrow and shook her head incredulously.

"Men," she thought derisively.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

706 139 9
Pippa's unconventional interstellar gap year prepared her for her future career, transformed her understanding of the universe, and cemented her purp...
1.3K 3 15
I never wanted things to end this way, I never wanted to shroud the galaxy in my dark plague. I never wanted to turn my tides around. But you betraye...
85.5K 2K 7
In a decayed and dying alien world that was once center of a vast planetary empire, an embittered rogue knight, soldier to the fallen empire, travers...
4.8K 241 41
After escaping with Ko through the everglow, Fischer awakens to a whole new world. They've no idea where they are nor where to go next. After being t...