Destiny's Tethers

By pencilorstylus

Born an omega into the strongest pack in the forest, Olwen Adams was fated to the Alpha's son and to become t... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Liar
Chapter 2 - Ultimatum
Chapter 3 - Lavender
Chapter 4 - Exile
Chapter 5 - Forest
Chapter 6 - Initiation
Chapter 7 - Cracks
Chapter 8 - Dominoes
Chapter 9 - Integration
Chapter 10 - Attraction
Chapter 11 - Steadying
Chapter 12 - Growing
Chapter 13 - Reunion
Chapter 14 - Friendship
Chapter 15 - Courtship
Character Moodboards
Chapter 16 - Relationship
Chapter 18 - Separation
Chapter 19 - Tethered
Chapter 20 - Hearsay
Chapter 21 - Leadership
Chapter 22 - Official
Chapter 23 - Lunafication
Chapter 24 - Function Prelude
Chapter 25 - Function
Chapter 26 - Function Continued
Chapter 27 - Function Interlude
Chapter 28 - Function Disrupted
Chapter 29 - Departure
Chapter 30 - Exodus
Chapter 31 - Union
Chapter 32 - Severed
Chapter 33 - Preparation
Intermission and upcoming plans
Chapter 34 - Penitence
Chapter 35 - Penance
Chapter 36 - Swarmed
Chapter 37 - Challenge
Chapter 38 - Resolution
Chapter 39 - Finality
Epilogue
What's Next + Extra Author's Notes

Chapter 17 - Relationship: Redux

2.4K 58 13
By pencilorstylus

Olwen checked the mirror one last time, making sure everything was in order before going to spray on some perfume.

She hadn't felt this nervous in years - not even her first date with Aaron had been this nerve wrecking.

Though Landon had clearly voiced his interest in her when she'd first arrived at pack borders, when they'd started out there was no fated mate-bond tying them together. The attraction and depth of their relationship had naturally blossomed as time went by, and for some reason, with it so did their strange connection.

Olwen had been taken aback this morning when Landon came to see her and ask her out of their first actual date, but after inhaling his scent up close following a week of a lack of physical proximity with the Alpha, she'd had to spend the next two hours calming a rather excited and oddly desperate Opal down.

This is just our first date. Olwen sternly reprimanded her wolf as she waited at the front porch of her home for Landon. We're not serious yet, so don't try anything and make me lock your consciousness away for the night.

She didn't want to threaten Opal so harshly, but after two hours of being sent a barrage of explicit thoughts and images, Olwen just had to put her foot down.

Sorry...Opal whined, not sounding sorry at all.

Olwen sighed, adjusting her clothes one final time. She was wearing a denim dress with a brown belt and simple lavender sneakers, and a pair of small crystal studs as earrings. Her brown hair was tied into a high ponytail.

The moment Landon's scent reached her nose, Opal sprung up, howling for a second before she remembered Olwen's warning and begrudgingly quieted down.

Olwen smiled and stepped off her porch as the Alpha approached. Affection bubbled up at the sight before her. He was dressed in a black button up and jeans, his messier blonde hair lightly combed. One of his hands was hiding behind his back as he stopped a respectable distance from her on the grass.

"Good evening, Olwen. Are you ready for our date?"

"Yes." Olwen managed a nod, her eyelashes fluttering as that forest after rain smell nearly swallowed up all her senses.

Landon nodded in return, and for a brief second Olwen thought she saw him bite his lip as his eyes flashed yellow before he kept talking.

"I dropped by Jackson's shop and bought this for you."

He produced a small bouquet of fresh pink buttercups, and Olwen's mouth dropped.

"These are beautiful...why haven't I seen these?"

"I might have requested them from him specially for tonight." Landon admitted, gently handing her the flowers. "I have been working up the courage to ask you to dinner for weeks, I just was waiting for the right time."

"You didn't need to, but thank you." Olwen murmured. She clutched the bouquet in her hands and smiled at Landon.

"I wanted to." The Alpha assured her simply, offering her his arm and waggling his eyebrows playfully. "Shall we?"

Chuckling at his antics, Olwen linked her arm through his, holding on to the buttercup bouquet with her other as they headed to the nearby pack restaurant.

Once they had arrived, Landon went straight to the front counter, where the waiter bowed.

"Alpha. Your reservation for six thirty, right?"

"Yes, thank you Cedric."

The waiter glanced at Olwen and gave her a respectful nod.

"Miss. You and the Alpha, come this way please.."

Olwen felt her cheeks flush slightly at the amount of eyes on her as she and Landon were taken up the stairs to a table at the balcony, overlooking the Moon River Pack.

"Please take your time and look at the menu, I will be back shortly to take your order." Cedric handed over two copies of said menu and bowed again before heading away for the timebeing.

Olwen glanced up at the night sky above them, before turning to stare at the many houses and buildings and pack members dotted in the far distance from where they were.

"Wow. Nice view."

"I figured so." Landon replied, gazing at her. "In a way, we're also commemorating the day we met, at the Evergreen Packs function. Our first conversation at the balcony, remember?"

"Yeah...I remember."

Cedric returned moments later to take their orders, a chicken alfredo with clam chowder and a garden salad for Landon, and an aglio olio with tomato soup and a fruit salad for Olwen.

Once he'd headed off to pass this on to the kitchen, Olwen turned back to her date.

"I didn't ask this earlier but, what made you like me so quickly at the function?"

Landon thought about this for a brief moment before he answered her.

"Truthfully...you were like a breath of fresh air. Every other person I met with that night felt as if they were trying too hard to impress me, and I couldn't even tell if they actually did like me, or were just doing it because of my Alpha status and because their parents were pushing for some kind of union. I went to the balcony for a break from all that, and...that's the first time I saw you."

He had a fond, wistful smile on his face.

"Your scent was soothing, almost like a healing balm after the long night I'd had. And when you assured me I wasn't doing the wrong thing for pushing away others' attempts to set me up, I knew you were being genuine. Even though you knew who I was, you didn't try too hard or put up a false front like the Alphas and Lunas, you were just...you."

Olwen gaped at him with a tint of pink on her cheeks.

"You...remember all that about me?"

Landon shrugged, bashful as he sipped at some of the water the waiter had brought them earlier.

"I thought I'd forgotten about you after I realised you were Aaron's mate. But that day when I found you outside the pack borders, the moment your scent reached me it was like...the memory of that night was pulled out of the depths of my brain." He enunciated to the best of his ability.

"That's an interesting way to put it." Olwen remarked.

"I thought that maybe I'd change my mind after I ran into you again." Landon confessed, reaching over and lightly placing his hand over hers. "But it only got worse."

He didn't give her any room to say anything before he pressed on.

"I admired your strength, not accepting your ex-mate's bullcrap, cutting ties with your home Pack, and managing to survive as a rogue even though you'd never really prepared for it." His voice came out in a rush. "And even though you were once going to become a Luna and came from the strongest Pack in the forest you never once looked down on others. You've been kind, hardworking and devoted even though you're new to the Moon River Pack, and especially after you got back into all the hobbies you love you just seem more energetic and passionate everytime I see you."

By the time he was finished, Olwen realised her mouth was still partly open.

"...Wow."

"I've wanted to say all that to you for a while but I didn't want to scare you away." Landon muttered, blushing and running a hand through his hair. "But I have to be upfront now...I really like you, Olwen."

The woman thanked the Moon Goddess that their table was situated far away from others or they would have seen the way she was practically burning from all of the Alpha's words.

"...Well firstly...my ex was never honest with me so your directness is a nice change." Olwen started. "And secondly...now I feel a little bad. You make me sound like an angel."

"You may as well be one." Landon said without missing a beat, his hand still on top of hers. "The fact that you came from a Pack all the way at the other side of the Evergreen Wilds...it's like the Moon Goddess guided you to me."

Olwen felt her heart speed up as she moved her hand to properly clasp his.

"You sure you're not the Moon Goddess' blessing to me instead?" She found the words slipping out of her mouth naturally, and instantly Landon's face grew just as red.

Where the heck did that come from? Olwen never considered herself a flirt, even with Aaron she was more on the receiving end of his compliments than the sender.

"That's...up for debate then." Landon managed, his blue eyes flickering down to their joined hands.

Olwen could feel her heartbeat speeding up even more as she felt the way his fingers slotted just nicely in between hers.

Of course, Cedric chose now to return with their food, and the pair had to withdraw their hands as their orders were effortlessly arranged on the table in between them.

Both thanked the waiter before he left, and the next thirty to forty minutes or so were spent with the quiet clinking of metal cutlery.

"After hearing Stela's concerns about the new leadership of your former pack, I've been keeping an eye out for news." Landon spoke somewhere at the forty minute mark. "According to Alpha Silas from the Fire Claw Pack, the nearest to them, the Silver Arrow Pack is in no shape to hold the function this year."

Olwen raised an eyebrow at the Alpha.

"Okay...how reliable is that piece of information?"

"It's just hearsay at the moment." Landon clarified. "But updates from the Silver Arrow Pack have kind of been silent for a while. The last official one from them was about the appointment of the new Alpha and Luna, and that was months ago."

Olwen thought about this for a moment before it dawned on her.

"But...if the Silver Arrow Pack can't hold the Packs function this year...then..."

"Then as the second strongest Pack in the Wilds, the Moon River Pack will be holding it." Landon confirmed, nodding as he twirled some spaghetti on his fork. "So chances are, Alpha Aaron and Luna Kylie will come to know you, Stela and her family are here with us."

Olwen felt her throat suddenly go dry and she swallowed thickly.

"I...haven't seen them since I rejected Aaron and left the Silver Arrow Pack."

"Will you be alright?" The Alpha looked at her with concern evident on his face. "I don't have to mention anything about you staying here to anyone, and you can just-"

"No." Olwen interrupted firmly. "If any of them see me I'll be fine with it. I need to well and truly leave my past in my old pack behind, not run from it."

Landon looked as if he might argue, but his indignant expression softened at the resolve he saw in her eyes.

"Okay."

As they ate, he quietly placed his hand on her wrist to draw her attention back to him briefly.

"Whatever happens once they find out you're here, I'll make sure you and your friends are safe. I know you can take care of yourself, but you can rely on my protection anyways."

"...Thank you, Alpha Landon."

Olwen gave him a grateful smile, and then frowned as she realised a piece of garlic was stuck to her lower lip.

.......

After a fulfilling meal, Alpha Landon walked Olwen back to her home, the both of them talking about the state of the plants around. There was a prediction that there would be a heatwave upon the packs in the latter half of the year, and thanks to preliminary discussions amongst the higher ups, food had already begun being stored.

Olwen could feel Landon very lightly grasping her hip as they walked, but she didn't mind. It felt comforting and right, and it also helped that the slight physical contact kept Opal happily purring inside her. She was still holding the bouquet of buttercups he'd given her at the start. According to what the Alpha had told her over dessert, buttercups - or their scientific name ranunculus - symbolised charm. So in essence by gifting her those flowers, Landon was saying he was 'charmed by her'.

"I enjoyed our date." She said softly, as her house drew nearer.

"Me too." Landon smiled back, his shoulders relaxed. He had paused before adding, "If I were to ask you out on a date the next time I'm free...would you be willing to accept once again?"

Olwen did not hesitate to nod.

"Absolutely."

The Alpha released a soft sigh of relief as he led her to her front door.

"Here we are...get some rest. I know you have training with Delta Cassidy tomorrow."

Olwen nodded, standing in her doorway and facing Landon.

"That I do. Stela and Cael will be joining us too."

"Good to hear." The Alpha grinned at her.

"Have a lovely night, Alpha Landon."

"You too, Olwen."

He made to turn and leave, but Olwen grasped his arm and guided him back to face her.

"Wait...I should thank you on taking me out on such a nice date."

Olwen headed to the side of her porch and brought back a small stool. Standing on top of it placed her at the same level as the taller Alpha. The surprise registered in his eyes as she leaned in and kissed him.

It wasn't as passionate or as desperate as the one they'd had in the training centre had been, but it was enough to send sparks of warmth through Olwen's body, even more so when she felt Landon kiss her back.

"Remind me to take you out on dates just as nice, if not nicer, than this one." Landon murmured into her ear before pulling away.

"I will."

He cast one more longing look over his shoulder, and Olwen waved him off.

He's perfect, Opal gushed, wagging her tail. Such a strong, handsome and caring Alpha. Both Landon and Lark.

Opal hadn't met with Lark or Landon since her initiation. Though not as wild as earlier, she was still sending particular messages into Olwen's mind, making her blush and quickly head back into the house.

Landon's words from earlier still echoed in her head, making her want to cover her face even though no one was around to witness her embarrassment.

......

With both of her children on the way back to the house, Sylvie sat by the window with a mug of cocoa. The window was ajar and facing the quiet night scenery of the Moon River Pack, a soft breeze blowing in and lightly caressing the older woman's face.

While Stela and Cael settling down with their mates weren't something she had pushed for or emphasised on throughout their life, witnessing them together with their other halves was more than heartwarming for their mother, who adored them more than anything else and wished for their happiness.

Stela hadn't voiced any intention yet, but given how close she was becoming to Beta Elijah and how well they were getting along, Sylvie expected her eldest daughter to begin discussing moving in with her mate in a few months. And Cael...she was going to meet Gamma Josh the following day. She hadn't seen or talked to him for very long in comparison to Elijah, but from the sound of things so far, Cael was more at ease with him than most of the people on the Silver Arrow Pack.

While Olwen was not her biological daughter, Sylvie felt the same joy and pride that a mother would upon seeing how well she was doing for herself in her new Pack. The stormy, heartbroken expression the younger woman had worn on her face the day she left the Silver Arrow Pack had haunted Sylvie's mind for days, and she had prayed to the Moon Goddess to spare Olwen from further suffering. She had been surprised to learn of the omega's gradually blooming relationship with Alpha Landon, but taking one glance at how the pair interacted with each other was all she needed to be assured that the she-wolf was in good hands.

Sylvie was suddenly pulled out from her thoughts by her phone vibrating. She glanced down, her breath catching in her throat when she saw the Caller ID as "Hubby."

Within her, Soren whined a little at the memory of their mate, but Sylvie resolutely went against the impulses of her wolf and declined the call.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

392 51 16
Born to an Alpha father and a twin brother, Ivy struggles to claim and secure her rightful title as the Alpha of the Blood Moon pack. As a female, sh...
3.5K 282 30
Autumn- I am not wolfless but my silver wolf needs my mate to unlock its potential. I'd been mateless for years until the fight that suddenly erupted...
6.5K 568 24
The wolves are tense, the Northeastern and Southwestern packs are at a standoff. Someone needs to step in to cut the tension, but who wields that ki...
454K 11.5K 46
The powerful almighty Alpha Maximums Black and his wolf Ares have been looking for their mate for nearly nine years, and the Alpha was ready to give...