Threads of Time

By WriterGirl004

She is an American from 2024. He is a Viking from 934. What happens when their paths cross and they fall in... More

CAST
1. Destiny's POV: The Pink Vial
2. Rune's POV: The Blood Maiden
3. Destiny's POV: The Strange Family
4. Rune's POV: True Beauty
5. Destiny's POV: Trapped in the Past
6. Rune's POV: She's Just The Town Whore
7. Destiny's POV: The Raid
8. Rune's POV: Riding with the Maiden
9. Destiny's POV: The Wolf
10. Destiny's POV: A New Pet
11. Rune's POV: I'm Sorry I Fucked Your Wife... Just Kidding.
12. Destiny's POV: Freygerd
13. Thomas's POV: The Missing Time Vial
14. Rune's POV: Secrets
15. Thomas's POV: The Time Guardian
16. Destiny's POV: The Northern Lights
17. Asta POV: First Kiss
19. Destiny's POV: Waiting
20. Thomas's POV: Horse Thieves
21. Rune's POV: The Truth
22. Destiny's POV: Fingerbanged
23. Abigail's POV: Vestfold
24. Rune's POV: To Leave or to Stay
25. Destiny's POV: Goodbye Virginity
26. Destiny's POV: The Boat
27. Thomas's POV: Abandoned
28. Rune's POV: The Land of the Gods
29. Destiny's POV: Invisible Scars
30. Vigdis's POV: An Old Flame
31. Kolbjorn's POV: Confessions and Apologies
32. Rune's POV: The Attack

18. Rune's POV: Rescue Mission

12 1 0
By WriterGirl004

Destiny allowed me to hold and embrace her throughout the night, and her presence in my arms felt absolutely perfect. Her soft, full lips were just as enticing as they appeared. It was a rare occasion where I allowed myself to simply enjoy the sensation of kissing her until we both fell asleep, entwined in each other's embrace. I never ventured beyond touching her waist and face, as much as I desired to see her naked and share a bed with her. The taste of her lips was all I craved at that moment.

On our journey back to my farm, I notice Destiny leaning closer to me, appearing more at ease under my touch. I can't help but wonder if she has ever been with a man before, and what her perception of me was after the incident with Haklang in town. Bryma was just one of the many women I had been involved with in the past few years. Despite being only twenty-one, I had been pursued by girls since I was fifteen, though I only entertained the attractive ones if I'm being honest with myself. Except for that one time Kolbjorn and I got really drunk at the alehouse. I cringe at the memory.

Destiny opens up to me about her job serving food at a local restaurant, which she describes as fancier and busier than the pubs in our area. She also shares details about Cassie and Miles, whom she had met Cass as she calls her, in foster care, a place that sounded truly dreadful for children without parents. They had crossed paths with Miles, who prefers the company of men, at school, a place where children learn to read and write. The stark contrast between her world, America, and mine fascinates me.

As we finally arrive back at the farm, I spot Kolbjorn and my mother donning their battle armor and preparing to mount their horses. Urging Vidar forward, we gallop towards them, immediately sensing that something is wrong.

"What's the matter?" I inquire without hesitation, pulling Vidar to a sudden halt.

"Vidkunn and his nephews came by this morning, and they took Asta," Kolbjorn grinds out between clenched teeth, sending a chill down my spine.

"What?" I need confirmation. Did I hear correctly? This is all my damn fault. Killing Haklang was a necessary evil, considering his abusive nature towards his wife and the atrocious acts he committed against young women. He even threatened Destiny. I knew she wouldn't be safe if he remained alive. I could see it in his eyes.

"Blann paid a visit to the house and delivered a message: if you want Asta back, you'll have to retrieve her yourself," he dryly responds, prompting me to dismount and assist Destiny off the horse. I can see the worry etched on her face.

"Stay here with Remi and Kamilla. We've hidden more swords in the wall where Asta and Kamilla hid during the raid. Use them if necessary. I'll be back as soon as possible." Before she can reply, I grab her face and plant a kiss on her lips, disregarding the opinions of those around us. It may be the last time I see her. No, I refuse to entertain that thought. Death has never been a concern for me, and today won't be any different. I'll eliminate them all to rescue my sister.

"Please be careful. There's something I need to tell you when you return," she whispers in my ear, reaching up on her tiptoes to kiss my cheek. I give her one final kiss on the lips before mounting Vidar once again. Kolbjorn, Vigdis, and I burst into a full gallop, not sparing a glance backward. Our sole focus is to bring Asta back home safely. I barely even have time to wonder what Destiny wants to tell me.

We ride for hours until exhaustion forces us to stop and give our horses some rest. Normally, I would have recommended stopping earlier to tend to them, but not when my sister's life hangs in the balance. Her innocence. If any of them lay a hand on her, I will ensure they suffer slowly.

The three of us find a fallen tree beside a small stream where the horses drink. The ground is still covered in snow and ice, although not as severe as before. Spring is just a few fortnights away.

"We need a plan," Vigdis asserts sternly, pushing her food and wine aside without partaking.

"What plan? We go in and kill them all," I stubbornly declare. "It's three against three, and we are the superior fighters."

"That arrogance will be your downfall someday," she snaps back at me.

"Vigdis is right. Vidkunn and his nephews are skilled warriors as well. Underestimating them would be foolish, especially in a battle," Kolbjorn agrees with my mother, and I release a frustrated sigh. Every moment we spend debating here, my sister could be enduring unimaginable horrors.

"We don't have time for this," I argue, running my hand through my hair and suppressing the urge to punch something. "Asta needs our help, now!"

"Don't you think I know that, gutt?" Vigdis snaps at me, using the Norwegian term for "boy," and suddenly, I feel small. She hasn't called me that in years. "Asta is my only daughter! I carried her, gave birth to her, nursed her from my own breast! Just as I did with you, Harold, and Remi! I'll be damn if I lose another child!"

I am immediately overcome with guilt. Asta has always been my mother's favorite child, although she would never admit it. If it were up to her, she would have had all girls who stayed home and learned the art of healing. Don't get me wrong, my mother is a formidable warrior, especially in her youth, and she still trains with Asta and Remi regularly since Ubbe's passing, but her true talent lies in healing.

"Alright, fine. What's the plan?" I finally ask, surrendering to the need for a strategy.

"I'm thinking one of us should set fire to their food supply. While they're preoccupied with saving their provisions, we can silently take them out one by one," she explains to both of us. Kolbjorn nods, lost in deep thought.

"You two are stronger and faster than me, so I'll be the one to start the fire," she continues. "You two focus on swiftly killing them and rescuing Asta. I'll be waiting with the horses."

We both agree with her plan, finish our meals, and mount our horses once again. We ride the remaining distance to Vidkunn's farm, arriving under the cover of night. Taking refuge in the woods adjacent to the farm, we go over the plan once more. My mother takes the lead, darting towards the large wooden storage tower where their grain is kept, disappearing behind it. Kolbjorn and I position ourselves on either side of the main hut, concealed within the shadows, waiting for the fire to ignite.

The flames ignite within moments, and we witness Vigdis sprinting back into the depths of the forest. We don't have to wait long before the sound of men's panicked voices echoes from within the hut. The door swings open, and two figures, Vidkunn and Solvi, bolt out, the door slamming shut behind them. Blann, presumably still inside with Asta, is the smallest of the three, making it easy for Kolbjorn and me to overpower him when we finish out here. Silently, we creep up behind Vidkunn and Solvi, their backs turned to us. Without hesitation, we plunge our daggers into their sides. I drive my blade deep into Vidkunn before throwing him towards the ground. Solvi, on the other hand, appears to have died instantly, lying in the dirt and snow, blood seeping from his wounds. However, blood gurgles from Vidkunn's mouth as he manages to utter, "It won't change anything. I had my revenge on that pretty little sister of yours, multiple times."

Before he can say another word, I swiftly slit his throat and rush into the cabin, disregarding the possibility of Blann launching an attack. Nothing could have prepared me for the horrific sight that awaited me, causing me to halt and retch near the entrance. Asta lies unconscious on the ground, her body sprawled in the dirt, most of her garments torn to shreds. Her face and the rest of her body bear the marks of brutal beatings. Blood stains her hands, arms, face, and thighs, urging me to avert my gaze to spare myself from seeing her exposed breasts. Blann emerges from the bedroom, standing in the doorway, his eyes wide with fear. Good. He should be afraid.

"Kol, take Asta away from here, now. I'll handle him," I growl through clenched teeth, my voice laced witht hreat, my gaze fixated on Blann, who still struggles to find his voice.

Without hesitation, Kolbjorn approaches Asta, kneeling beside her and swiftly removing his robe. Tenderly, he wraps it around her half-naked, broken form, carefully cradling her in his arms. She groans in pain but remains unconscious as he exits the hut with her.

With my sword pointed directly at Blann, he instinctively raises his hands in a defensive gesture. He doesn't even attempt to reach for his own weapon. "I never thought they would hurt her! I swear, I never laid a hand on her. It was only Solvi and Vidkunn!"

I keep my sword raised, not yet lowering it nor delivering a fatal blow. Solvi and Vidkunn both violated my sister, and a part of me wished I had made them suffer more. But my primary concern was getting Asta to safety and far away from here.

"Please believe me, Rune. You know me! I couldn't condone something like this! I had planned to bring her back to your farm tonight, once they were asleep!"

"But you didn't do anything to stop it," I manage to utter, my grip on the sword hilt so tight it feels as though it might shatter.

"I wanted to! You know how my brother and uncle are! They were consumed by rage when they discovered Haklang's fate. There was nothing I could do to prevent it!" Blann's entire body trembles in fear, mirroring the fear Asta must have experienced during the assault. Something inside me snaps, and without a second thought, I swiftly slash his throat with my sword before walking out of the hut.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 174 13
This is the story of an enthusiastic media intern Shanaya, who doesn't believe facts unless proven and hence loves to dig deeper into the information...
9.4K 526 58
Another "modern girl ends up in Skyrim" story. I've read several of these over the years, some fantastic, some less so... Current world affairs being...
2.3K 50 5
Extended SAMPLE! Book is live on Amazon & Kindle Unlimited! Monsters are real... and I'm in love with them. Coasting through my last year of college...
62 16 8
A backpacking trip through America ends with a kiss and a night that Emma would never forget. Now older and mature, 5 years later Emma returns to mee...