Let Me In ✔️ | ENG

By Sarae-Seong

In a need of a break from her demanding job, Carmina seeks refuge in a hidden gem of Italy - Amalfi Coast. Bu... More

Author's Note
〉 Let Me In 〈
〉 Let Me Read You 〈
〉 Let Me Fix It 〈
〉 Let Them Talk 〈
〉 Let Me Know 〈
〉 Let Me Try 〈
〉 Let Me Confess 〈
〉 Let It Last 〈
〉 Let It Go 〈
〉 Let Me Mourn 〈

〉 Let Us Dream 〈

35 4 57
By Sarae-Seong

She felt so safe in his arms. As if the entire evil world she had soaked in couldn't reach her here. And since she found shelter in him, she knew he deserved at least a bit of truth.
"I can't tell you much, though I wish I could confess everything to you. I don't expect you to understand, but no matter what you think or ask for, you won't draw more than these few words from me."

"You're making long introductions." Dae laughed, oblivious to the gravity of the situation. Carmina shifted uncomfortably in his embrace, but he held her firmly.  "Come on, flower. Go ahead."

"I have an overzealous boss. He's constantly monitoring me, basically controlling everything I do, and criticizes a lot of it. You know, my job is... demanding, so I kinda get where he's coming from."

"Is that all?" He raised an eyebrow, surprised.

"We're facing... some difficulties at the company. Everything's crashing down on us, you know... ummm, a few employees..." she trailed off, unable to tell him they'd been murdered. "...a few employees have left, and from our group, it's just me remaining. And you know, he's a bit worried that I might leave too."

The burden didn't lift from her chest; if anything, it grew heavier. Maybe it was better if she stayed completely silent, telling him nothing. Lies weighed much more than silence.

"And that's why you didn't want to tell me anything? Just an overbearing boss? What position do you work in?"

And there it was, the crash. The question she didn't want to hear. "I'm sorry, Dae, but I can't tell you that."

He released her from his embrace. "You know, I thought this time you'd really take this conversation seriously, Carmina. What's so difficult about answering a simple question? I'm not asking for your credit card number, just your job position. You're making a big deal out of it."

You can be angry, Dae. You can choose not to understand at all.
"I'm sorry. I can't talk about it. My job isn't always safe."
I've said more than I should have. Just let it go, damn it, just let it go already.

And he did. He hugged her once more, seemingly he was even more tender. She melted under his touch. Again. "Don't worry, sweetheart. I'll protect you. I've got some pretty decent gorillas too," he chuckled and she responded with a soft laugh.

Oh, if only you knew who's really protecting whom right now.

The sunset was mesmerizing. Neither of them felt ready to return to the hotel just yet. Going back meant drawing this day to a close, and each new day brought them closer to the journey back home. Carmina, soothed by the gentle murmur of the sea and the comforting warmth radiating from Dae, nestled herself closer to him, slipping her head beneath his arm like a contented cat.

"You seem tired. Shall we head back?"

"No," she replied softly. "I'd like to stay here with you a while longer. Just to cuddle."

It might have been a simple request, but it brought a pleasant warmth to Dae's heart. He hugged her tighter. "Will you stay with me tonight?"

***

"Why does everything have to be so complicated?" Carmina murmured sleepily to Dae. Her head rested on his chest as they both lay in his bedroom. In this moment, he had everything he desired within reach, and he held onto it tightly, fearing it might slip away.

But her sudden question caught him off guard a little.

"What's so complex?" he whispered softly, running his fingers through her hair.

"It's what I need to do and what I want to do. The decisions are just so different from each other. Life, my whole life, is complex," she murmured, almost drifting off to sleep. He didn't even take it seriously.

"Everything will work out, you know?" He comforted her anyway. "If you allow me, I'll show you that even hopeless cases like us can get what they want."

"You're not hopeless, Dae," she murmured, immediately denying it. He chuckled softly.

"No? You said I was an annoying type, a walking tabloid," he reminded teasingly.

"That was true. I came here to finally get some rest, to have peace. And you and your fame, the whole string of paparazzi following you, made everything complicated. I even became your wife in the eyes of the media. How does that contribute to peace?"

Dae smiled widely, savouring her presence and the gentle teasing she unconsciously made at him. She was sweet so he let her say whatever she wanted. After all, she hadn't realized it yet, just like him. Because Dae already knew... he had grown attached to her like a faithful dog, like a child reluctant to let go. No matter the price he would have to pay for it.

"Carmina?"

There was only silence in response, not even the faintest purr escaping her. "Carmina, are you asleep?" he whispered softly once more. But her breath was steady, and she was already deeply asleep. He held her closer.

"With everything you give me and with what you hide within yourself... I still believe I can love you."

Humans are peculiar and naive beings. Despite knowing the soap bubble is bound to burst, they still blow it, if only for that fleeting moment of its beauty, for a second of happiness.

***

The gentle breeze toyed with the strands of her fiery hair. Her porcelain-like body was like cherry blossom petals against his skin. Dae couldn't tear his gaze away from her. Her freckles were scattered like stars in the sky, more of them on her left cheek than the other. Perfect imperfection. He adored every detail about her. Love is blind; he knew that all too well. But in love, the most exquisite part is receiving a blissful dose of happiness that clouds the mind. Dae was intoxicated by it. With the tips of his fingers, he delicately trailed along her shoulder, merging his breath with hers, just so he wouldn't wake her. Fearful that she might slip away again, label it as another fleeting one-night stand, or push him away once more.

"Good morning, Mr. Kang," her sleepy, sweet voice greeted him.

A huge smile graced his lips as infatuation overtook him again. Carmina nestled closer, pulling the blanket snugly around them.

"Care for breakfast in bed?" he asked.

But Carmina climbed atop him slowly, unhurried. Dae observed her still slightly dazed. Her delicate hand trailed along his chest, pausing at his cheek, lightly brushing his lips. Moments later, she leaned in, completely engulfing him in a passionate kiss. Dae's hands explored her form, committing her contours to memory. Carmina dedicated the entire morning to lavishing him with attention. When he bared his vulnerable neck, she kissed every inch of it. The way he trembled under her touch only made her crave him more. So, without hesitation, she shed the dress she had worn to sleep the night before. Dae knew he had no chance today. Yet, he was more than content to surrender himself completely to her. And Carmina took everything from him, giving even more in return. And so, intoxicated by love, they collapsed exhausted onto the bed.

"Do you remember our conversation in bed yesterday?" Dae treaded carefully on thin ice as he asked the question.

"I remember bits and pieces. You were warm and tender, and you held me close. You mentioned something about the tabloid, sorry about that, genuinely. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, just wondering,"  he lied quickly.

To her, it was a bit odd, but she had no intention of dwelling on it. She just got up from the bed and reached out to him.
Dae's eyes widened in disbelief at the sight before him. Carmina stood there entirely naked, her body illuminated by the morning light. Were these the cultural differences that people talked about so much? She exuded confidence, that was for sure. Dae caught the hand she extended towards him.

His heart raced dangerously. With impatience, he followed her, his fingers trembling as he grabbed a towel along the way. Yet, it seemed for nothing. Her magnetic touch pulled him closer, and the towel ended up forgotten somewhere on the floor.

With a cunning smile, Carmina drew him into the shower cabin. Their bodies melded together like perfect puzzles as the water streamed over them, filling the space with gentle warmth. Dae, his eyes closed in blind surrender, found her lips, and they shared another fiery kiss. He couldn't even be sure anymore what warmed him more-the shower or the passion with which Carmina took care of him today.

"I've gone mad for you," he confessed.

Carmina smiled against his lips.
"I lost my senses long ago."

***

The entire day felt as if they were characters in a fairy tale. Neither bothered to count the remaining days or think about the world awaiting their return. Hand in hand, like a pair of carefree teenagers, they strolled among the vibrant stalls of an Italian market. Dae purchased absolutely everything Carmina touched or just laid her eyes on: a seashell necklace, a questionably authentic pearl music box, colourful bracelets reflecting the light in a rainbow dance, an oversized hat for her, and that charming scarf that didn't quite match anything she owned.

Carmina pretended not to notice any of it, only to bring him a little joy, while secretly she was observing what caught his interest and mentally noting everything to come back and buy it when he wouldn't know. She led him to the cotton candy stand, which was just an excuse to lose herself in his sweet kisses again, although she knew he had seen through her long ago, because he kept pulling her close, kissing her recklessly at every opportunity.
It felt like a day they were a genuine couple. But did it even matter? Did they need to question or confirm anything? Ultimately, wasn't a relationship about happiness above all else? Who needed labels anyway?

They spent the afternoon in the azure waters of the ocean, snorkelling and admiring colourful fish and all the strange corals that fascinated Carmina. Meanwhile, Dae finally experienced first-hand what a kiss underwater tasted like. He wondered what else they could do underwater, but Carmina ran away from the ocean just as he whispered his dirty thoughts to her. She ran to another place, and then another. They took countless photos together, indulged in ice cream, cocktails, and took yet another long walk. Amalfi was beautiful. She was beautiful. Dae promised himself that they would return here someday. Both of them. But promises require something to seal them.

Carmina stood on one of the most beautiful streets in the area, her back turned to him. In her white dress, she resembled an angel. The setting sun, peeking from behind the hills, bathed her in almost ethereal glow. And she herself blended into the colourful street like the most captivating artwork in a gallery. Dae stood just a few steps behind her, holding a white rose shyly behind his back .His mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and possibilities, contemplating what he should say in this moment. In his other hand, he tightly grasped the gift he had purchased when he briefly excused himself earlier. He felt as nervous as a student before their first exam, his heart pounding so intensely that it almost overwhelmed him.

When fear consumes you, all you need to do is take the first step. Intuition will guide the rest.

"Hey there, little fox," he murmured into her ear as his chest grazed her back. Carmina didn't flinch, instead leaning into him and closing her eyes.

"Where have you been?" she asked softly.

But Dae remained silent. A white rose suddenly appeared before her, causing a soft chuckle escaping her lips as she reached for the gift.

"You're sweet. Thank you."

"Carmina..." he began, stepping in front of her with a nervous tremble in his voice. She could sense the intensity of his emotions written all over his face. With trembling hands, he placed a small box before her, his heart pounding wildly in his chest.

Before she could form any misconceptions, he opened the box, revealing two delicate rings nestled within. His gaze never left hers, she could see in his eyes hope and a hint of fear. "It's a set for us," he explained quickly, his voice barely above a whisper, afraid of her reaction. "You see, in Korea, it's a symbol of commitment," he rushed to explain, his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"They're beautiful..." she whispered, caressing the luxurious jewellery with the tip of her fingers.

Not wanting to keep him in suspense any longer, she extended her hand to him. Dae slid the ring onto her finger faster than the speed of sound. And she did just the same. This strange, uncomfortable situation crystallized something they hadn't realized before. That label they had been avoiding stuck on its own when they both accepted that they were no longer strangers.

***

The evening at the hotel unfolded in ways they hadn't quite expected. Pampered by the Jacuzzi, fruits, and champagne, they stayed inseparable. Dae lifted her hand from the water, planting tender kisses from her shoulder down to her wrist, then gently stroking the finger adorned with the ring he had given her.

"You can scold me for it being too soon, for not asking you anything about it. You can scold me for what I'm about to say now, but it won't change anything." Carmina looked at him with a questioning gaze.

"I'm certain that I'd like to exchange this ring for another one, soon." He shifted his gaze to her, his expression serious. "I'd like for you to be my Mrs. Kang one day."

Carmina felt a cold sweat break out on her. The rush of happiness that overwhelmed her mind mingled with the fear caused by her dangerous situation. Nevertheless, she needed to release that energy.

"I thought in Korea, they don't take the husband's surname," she quipped, trying to lighten the mood.

"That's true," he said, gently brushing aside a strand of hair that had fallen across her face. "But I want everyone to know that this beautiful fox belongs to me and me alone. You know, Carmina, you've never told me your full name."

She hesitated briefly, but after all, it was Dae; he deserved to know at least this much.

"Carmina O'Mara," she finally revealed.

"Oh, how fancy," he teased, and she playfully splashed him in response to a joke about the apostrophe in her name. Dae fell silent, lost in thought for a moment just to surprise her once more.

"I've fallen for you, Carmina O'Mara. Head over heels," he confessed with sincerity.

"So soon?" she asked, averting her gaze, ruining the moment with her question.

But he gently lifted her chin, forcing her to look into his eyes.

"Love isn't measured in days, but in moments when the heart beats faster. And mine? It seems to have gone mad for you."

Carmina's heart was racing too, her breath hitching as she gazed into his hazel eyes.

"To be honest, I wasn't prepared for this moment. But I can't keep avoiding it," she confessed, her voice was quite steady despite the turmoil within. She took a deep breath and reached for his hand, intertwining their fingers. "Kang Dae- ssi, nado saranghaeyo." *

Dae's eyes widened in shock as Carmina dropped her bombshell. "You... you knew how to say 'I love you' in Korean?"

A mischievous grin danced on her lips. "Oh, Dae, you have no idea how many surprises I have up my sleeve."

"And just how many secrets are you keeping from me?"

"Oh, a lady never reveals all her secrets." She replied with a playful giggle.

Dae leaned in closer. "Tell me, did you learn it before or after meeting me?"

Carmina paused for a moment, but her gaze danced with mischief. "Well, let's just say I did my research after our paths crossed."

A knowing smile appeared on Dae's lips. "So, you had feelings for me all along? Were you planning to confess?" Carmina laughed, evading the question.

Dae shook his head, unable to contain his grin. "You're impossible, you know that?"

"Guilty as charged."

Dae's expression softened, his voice tinged with seriousness. "So, does this mean you and I..."

Cutting him off with a playful wink, Carmina finished his sentence. "Yes, Dae. You can add that label you've been longing to give us."

"So, you're mine?"

"And you're mine."

* nado saranghaeyo - I love you too (polite) in Korean

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 120 45
An FBI agent who gets an opportunity to move to Italy to be an agent there. Of course she takes it right away. The job she loves in the country she l...
8.3M 228K 61
Warning this book is rough. Not edited. We wanted privacy. We wanted a normal relationship with no high expectations. But that's hard when you have...
474K 26.4K 41
~Bhuva Agarwal~ Meet this bubbly and charming girl who brings a smile on everyone's face. Fiesty yet innocent, sweet yet sarcastic, loyal and stubbor...