Lessons in Love

LeighDunnagan

When Aria's fiance left her at the airport gate to get her a hazelnut latte and then never returned, she didn... Еще

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Epilogue

Chapter 8

8 0 0
LeighDunnagan

Lucas and Lily were at his mother's house for dinner, and he found himself wanting to tell his mother about his date with Aria. But he didn't want his siblings sticking their noses in, and he didn't want to talk about it in front of Lily.

As the family finished the dinner of homemade ravioli and Caesar salad, the talk circled around to school. His brother asked Lily, "So how is school this year, Munchkin? Have you already finished kindergarten?"

"No, Uncle Daniel, I haven't! I still have a lot more to go. But that's okay, because I have nice classmates, and I love my teacher. She's wonderful. And beautiful. And smart. And she makes yummy chocolate chip cookies. And she smells like sunshine."

Daniel said, "Sounds pretty special." He grinned as a thought occurred to him. "Lucas, this isn't by any chance the pretty blonde teacher you had coffee with a few weeks ago?"

Lucas was on the spot. There was no point in lying, but he could try to minimize the damage. "As a matter of fact, it is. Ms. Spencer is Lily's teacher, and her students are buddies with my students." He said it in a matter-of-fact voice.

Daniel continued, "I think I'd like to meet this amazing teacher. Do you think she would like to meet me, Lil?"

Lucas knew he was being played, and he did not want to give his provocative brother the satisfaction of reacting, but he couldn't help himself. "I don't think that will be necessary or helpful."

"Ms. Spencer likes everybody, except I'm not sure, but I don't know if she likes Mama," Lily said.

Everyone at the table fell quiet. Out of the mouths of babes, thought Lucas. He knew everyone in his family felt the same way about Brandi. It just was what it was. But it was awful to hear Lily say out loud how unlikeable she thought other people found her mother to be. Lily looked around the table at her family. "What? Did I say something bad?"

"Not at all, lovebug," Francesca said. She put her arms out for Lily and pulled her in tight against her, murmuring. "It is not bad or wrong to say what you believe to be true. Just remember how very special you are, and how much we all love you."

Lily squeezed Francesca back. "I love you, too, Nana."

"Now, your brothers need to clean up the dishes, so why don't you take Papa out on the porch and beat him at chess?" Francesca said to Lily.

"Okay." Lily hugged her grandmother again and took her grandfather's hand as they went to find the chess board.

*****

Francesca was simmering as she put the leftovers away in plastic containers. Lucas loaded the dishwasher as Daniel traipsed in and out of the kitchen to clear the table. "Even her own child knows how disagreeable she is!" she said. "If this pretty teacher is as nice as you and Lily tell me, it is saying something that Lily thinks she doesn't like her mother."

Lucas lined up the glasses on the top rack. He sighed. "I know, Mama. You don't need to tell me that."

"Well, what are we going to do about it?"

"There's nothing we can do about it. We're stuck with her just as she is."

"Has she found a new husband yet?"

"No, but I don't think it's for lack of trying. Even at pickup line at school, I see Brandi eyeing some of the wealthier dads as they pick up their kids. If she could do it without making a scene, she would walk around to the other side of the car and ask to see their left hand, so she could check for a wedding ring."

"Maybe we should give her some help. The sooner she finds someone, the sooner she will be too busy to cause trouble for you and Lily."

"Mama, I'd rather not focus on her," Lucas said. "Mama, I...I took Aria out on a date this week."

Francesca immediately shifted gears. "That's wonderful! Did you have a good time? Did you take her somewhere fancy? Does she like you?"

"Whoa, whoa, slow down, Mama. We had a great time. We just went to Harry's Seafood and had a simple meal. But we talked for hours. It's like we never run out of things to talk about."

"This is good news. I would like to meet the pretty blonde teacher."

"I don't think she's ready for our family yet, but eventually...if things go well."

"So make them go well. Lily clearly likes her very much!"

"Okay, Mama. I'll see what I can do." Lucas was not up to reminding his mother about the complicated nature of this romance. Better to just agree and see what happened.

*****

Aria and Lucas sat near each other, but not too near each other, keeping an eye on the 6th graders and the kindergarteners while they quietly took turns reading to each other. Sarah, one of Lucas's students, approached the teachers. "We finished Beezus and Ramona, Ms. Spencer. Do you have something else for Sunita and I to read?"

"How about another Beverly Cleary book?"

"Sure." Sarah took the copy of The Mouse and the Motorcycle that Aria handed her and went back to her buddy.

When Aria sat down again by Lucas, he said, "Hold your hand out."

Aria was puzzled, but she did as he said. He put one hand underneath her hand and used the other one to drop something into her hand. It was a folded-up piece of paper. Aria gave him a questioning look.

"Open it," he said. So Aria unfolded the piece of paper, and she saw that it was a short handwritten note. It said, You look beautiful today. I like the way your scarf matches your eyes. Do you want to have pizza together tonight?

Aria was speechless. And completely charmed. Nobody had passed her a note since she was in sixth grade, and she certainly had never received one that made her so happy. She had to stop herself from giving him a big hug, so she got control of her emotions before she put the note down to write her answer on it. That sounds like an excellent idea, Mr. Cardin. She folded the note up and passed it back to him.

Lucas unfolded it and read her response. He smiled with satisfaction. "Great. 6:00 then?" he murmured.

"Perfect." Trying not to smile too much, Aria went back to watching the kids read to each other. And watching the clock. Four more hours until their date.

*****

Aria was grading spelling tests when she heard the familiar click of heels in the hall. Uh oh, she thought, here we go again.

Brandi's perfume preceded her into the room—something spicy and dark that conjured up an image for Aria of a nocturnal animal stalking her. Nevertheless, Aria smiled and rose to greet her. "Mrs. Rutherford, how are you? What can I do for you today?"

"Since you are Lily's teacher, I thought it important that you understand her family situation," Brandi said. She removed her red leather gloves and tucked them in her matching bag. "As you know, Lucas and I married when we were very young, and impetuous, I might add. We also divorced impetuously."

Aria watched Brandi, wondering where this was going. "Now that we are older and more mature, and I have the wisdom from two other marriages, we both feel that our family belongs together. Lily needs both her parents, a mother and a father together. Lucas and I are rebuilding our relationship, and it will be an important foundation for Lily's well-being."

"I see," Aria said in a neutral voice. "And how does Lucas feel about this transition?"

Brandi stared at Aria with surprise. "What a silly and impertinent question! Of course he still has feelings for me and is committed to our family." She took out her gloves and pulled them on again. "I just thought you should know how things are, in case there was any question in your mind, since you are Lily's teacher." Brandi tipped her head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

Aria responded, "Thank you, Mrs. Rutherford, for the update and for your honesty. I want only the best for Lily." She watched Brandi click, click out of the room and decided that it would behoove her to investigate the other side to this story, especially since it was almost time for her to get ready for her date with Lucas.

*****

This time when Aria opened the door to him, Lucas had a gift for Dizzy—an enormous chew toy with a blue bow on it. Delighted, Aria said, "Oh, Lucas, you shouldn't have! How did you know this is my favorite kind of chew toy?"

"I think you just made a joke, Aria. Note to myself: you can be really funny when you want to. But actually, this present is for Dizzy. May I?"

"Of course."

Dizzy had been watching their exchange, but it was clear he knew who this gift was for. Lucas unwrapped it and handed it solemnly to Dizzy. "Enjoy this in good health, my friend." Dizzy grabbed the chew toy and dashed into the living room, where he plopped on the rug and started gnawing on it with great enthusiasm.

"Thank you, Lucas," Aria said. "That was really sweet."

"You're welcome."

"You know, the way to a woman's heart is through her dog."

"Actually, no, I didn't know that." Lucas tried to look surprised. But he was too pleased with Dizzy and Aria's reaction to his gift to manage it.

Aria sat down on the couch and patted the cushion next to her. "Lucas, we need to talk."

Lucas sat down beside her and took her hand.

Aria told him about the scene with Brandi that afternoon. When she had finished, she said, "So, Brandi clearly thinks the two of you are rekindling your relationship and are going to be one big happy family with Lily."

Lucas laughed. "I would sooner marry a rattlesnake than get back together with Brandi. At least with the snake, you can hear the rattle before they strike."

"Lucas..."

"Aria, I mean it. She's probably just bored because she's between husbands. Don't worry about it. And don't let it spoil our evening." Lucas refused to dwell on Brandi and her shenanigans. He tugged on Aria's hand to get her moving.

*****

In the pizza restaurant, the tantalizing smells of bubbling tomato sauce, melting cheese, and bread baking filled the air. Lucas and Aria sat in a faux leather booth with a few tears in the seat. Obviously, many people had sat here over the years, and that was a good sign. A juke box lurked in the corner, and Aria could not resist. She dug in her purse for some quarters and slipped out of the booth. "I'll be right back."

Lucas watched Aria consider the choices in the juke box. She took her time deciding and then dropped the quarters in the slot. Etta James floated out in the air. Aria returned to the booth and relaxed as she picked up the glass of wine Lucas had ordered for her. Lucas was constantly seeing new parts of her, especially as she got more comfortable around him. "Etta, nice choice." He stood up and offered his hand. "Come on. I'm in the mood to dance with a pretty girl."

Aria flushed. "What? Here? No...there's no dance floor. I can't..."

Lucas tugged her to her feet. "Who cares? There's no sign saying we can't dance. Plus, it's not very busy in here. Maybe we can inspire some other customers." He took her hand and wrapped his other arm around her waist, pulling her close to him. He started to gently sway to the music.

Aria decided not to argue about it, and she relaxed into him, breathing in his now-familiar smell. Her senses filled up, and the closeness of their bodies started to make her bones feel like jelly. She swayed with him, letting him lead her across the worn tiles of the floor. The song ended all too soon, and their pizza arrived, so Aria and Lucas sat down again.

"You're a good dancer, Lucas."

"Thanks, you're not too bad yourself."

"So, how would you feel about getting dressed up and going dancing?"

"I would feel intrigued by that. What did you have in mind?" Lucas took a big bite of pizza while he waited for her answer. He could see her playing with her napkin in her lap. Whatever it was, she wasn't entirely comfortable proposing it.

"My mother has tickets to the Literary Council's annual gala...and she...she was wondering if we would like to go," Aria said. She blew out a breath.

"You and me?"

"Yes."

"In fancy duds?"

"Yes."

"Sounds like fun!" Aria relaxed when Lucas said this.

"Okay. Good. Okay."

"Aria, why do I get the feeling you're not excited about this?"

"Because. Because I don't like being around large groups of people that aren't under 12 years old."

Lucas crossed his arms over his chest. "Okay, so why are we doing this?"

"Because it's important to my mother, and because it's to promote literacy." Aria said. "It's fine. For an evening, I can deal with a little social discomfort." She smiled. "Plus, I like the idea of seeing you in a tux."

And Lucas thought it would probably be worth wearing a tux to see Aria in the full splendor of an evening gown and heels.

*****

Lucas watched Lily draw a complicated space station with orange and purple aliens. The crayons were almost worn down to nubs. He loved to watch her create—to watch the magic flow out of her brain, through her hands, and onto the paper. He loved to watch her do anything. She was his magic, his reason for being.

"Lil, what do you think of Ms. Spencer?"

"She's really nice and really pretty," Lily said. "What do you think of her?" Lily paused in her coloring to study Lucas's face, in the intense way only a six-year-old can do.

"I completely agree with you. She is really nice and really pretty." Lucas fell silent, not sure what he wanted from Lily.

"And she bakes yummy cookies."

"That she does."

"And she has the best dog in the whole world, next to Cricket," Lily said.

"That's also true."

Lily resumed coloring aliens. "Okay, good."

"Okay, good?"

"Mmm hmmm. It's good."

And it was. It was that simple.

*****

"Too fussy. Too skimpy. Too orange, too prom-dress-like, too slutty, too boring." Jaada mumbled to herself as she dug through the evening dresses on the rack at Lavelle's Formal Wear. Aria watched her, relieved to have Jaada take charge of this task. She absolutely hated shopping, especially for one unique item—like a swimsuit or an evening gown.

By the time they headed for the dressing room, Jaada had three dresses for her to try on. Once the door had shut behind them, Jaada handed the first dress to Aria—a black brocade sheath with gold scrolling. It was a little flashy, but Jaada insisted.

"A fancy evening out at a gala. This is a step up from ice cream and pizza. Things getting a little more serious?" Jaada said.

"I don't know. It's just...I don't know if I'm ready to risk my heart again. I have strong feelings for him, but I can't see my way forward. It's like it's all foggy when I look into the future."

"Unless you're a fortune teller, it's supposed to be. That's part of the excitement of falling in love, or so I hear. You can't control this, Aria, so why not relax and enjoy the moment? For one evening, you're going to live the fairytale."

Aria looked over her shoulder as Jaada zipped her up. "Jaada, I had what I thought was the fairytale, and it turned out to be a nightmare. I don't believe in fairytales anymore."

Jaada pulled Aria back from the mirror, so she could see herself. "How about happy endings? Do you believe in those?" The dress was stunning on Aria. The gold picked up the highlights in her hair and made her skin glow, while the black background made the gold stand out. For a moment, Aria didn't know what to say. Finally, she found her voice and her thoughts. "It's beautiful."

"Correction: you're beautiful," Jaada said. "The dress just emphasizes that."

"Jaada, you say the nicest things, and I appreciate it, because I know when you say something, you mean it." Aria turned and squeezed Jaada in a bear hug. She looked at herself again in the mirror. "It's not what I thought I would want—something filmy, pastel, loose, and swirly."

"No, it's not. It's bold. It makes a statement. This is a new chapter in your life, Aria. Embrace it."

"I think I like this statement. Okay. Done!" Aria gave herself a hug.

*****

After the purchase of sparkly gold high heels and the consumption of pineapple mango smoothies, Jaada drove Aria back to her house. Aria turned to her. "Thank you, Jaada. I really mean it. I wasn't excited about this event, and you've not only helped me find a dress but also helped me find my enthusiasm for it.

"I'm glad. Now stop worrying about the future and have yourself a fantastic time when the day comes. Lucas won't know what hit him when he sees that dress."

*****

When Aria opened her door to Lucas on the night of the gala, that was exactly what happened. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped. The bouquet of white roses he was holding dangled forgotten at his side. Aria shimmered in the black and gold sheath, and the gold shoes peeked out from under the hem. Her hair was arranged in a sleek twist with a few rogue curls caressing her cheeks. She smelled like orchids blooming in the night. Lucas was stunned. Who was this sparkling sophisticated beauty, and where was the sedate, serious schoolteacher?

"Hi," Lucas managed to spit out.

"Hi yourself, Lucas."

"Aria, I'm speechless. And that's pretty unusual for me. You look amazing, absolutely breathtaking."

Aria considered Lucas, who was dressed in a black tux and tie with crisp white shirt. His dark, freshly cut hair swept gracefully across his forehead. And his crisp pine scent drifted through the front door, curling around Aria. "You don't look too bad yourself. In fact, you clean up pretty nicely, Lucas."

"Thanks." Suddenly Lucas remembered the roses. He offered them to Aria, who bent her head to smell them.

"Thank you for these. They're beautiful, Lucas."

"It sounds cliché, but they pale in comparison to you." He reached for her free hand and pulled her close.

"I like a good cliché now and then."

"Me, too." Lucas bent his head and kissed Aria lightly at first, then more deeply. She put her hand on his chest and returned the kiss. She felt a mixture of heat and love soaring up through her body, a bright light that spread throughout her whole being.

Aria and Lucas were separated by a furry, squirmy body wiggling between them. They laughed and stepped back from each other. "Dizzy, how are you?" Lucas greeted the dog. "You don't mind if I take your mama dancing tonight, do you?" Dizzy butted against Lucas, angling for some attention while Aria went to put the flowers in a vase. "You don't have to worry. I'll take good care of her, okay?"

Aria gave Dizzy a quick hug and locked the front door. She let Lucas take her hand as they walked toward his truck. This might not be a fairytale, but she did feel a little bit like a princess with her prince tonight. She would let herself enjoy every moment of the evening and worry about the ever after later.

*****

Lucas and Aria walked across the flagstone sidewalk and under the portico of the country club. Fairy lights illuminated well-manicured shrubs in huge clay pots, and couples filed past them through the glass doors of the club. Inside the lobby, men in tuxes and women in a range of colors and sparkles drifted toward different rooms. The air smelled like orange trees, and Aria could hear a waltz playing in the ballroom. From another room came the clink of silverware and dishes and the tantalizing scents of steak and chicken. Yet another room featured the bar and a group of tall round tables decorated with mums in small crystal vases.

Lucas asked Aria, "Where to first?"

"I wouldn't mind a glass of wine." Aria wanted to postpone the moment when they joined the crowds in the dining room and ballroom.

"The bar it is." They walked into the room with the bar and Lucas ordered a glass of merlot for Aria and a Guinness for himself. They settled at one of the tall tables and surveyed the room. Huge crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling, casting a warm, romantic light over the people chatting in low tones.

Aria knew she should let her mother know she had arrived, but she wasn't quite ready to give up her time alone with Lucas, nor was she ready to face her mother's intrusive curiosity.

"Doing okay?" Lucas asked.

"Yes, fine, thank you."

"No urge to bolt?"

"No. We're here, and I want to make the most of it. And when it's over, I'll find a dark cave to recuperate in."

Lucas laughed at the image. "Sounds fun. Can I come, too?"

"Only if you don't talk."

"Deal. How about we—"

"Lucas, Aria!" Helen glided up to them and hugged them both. "I'm so glad you came." She surveyed their formal wear. "You both look wonderful! I have some people I want you to meet, but I thought we could have dinner first. You shouldn't dance on an empty stomach!"

Lucas stood up and escorted the two women to the dining room, one on each arm. They made their way to the buffet, which featured filet mignon with béarnaise sauce and pomegranate chicken, as well as an assortment of roasted autumn vegetables and crusty French bread. Lucas approved when he saw Aria fill her plate with a substantial amount of food. He was suspicious of women who ate like birds—nibbling on salad and some dry chicken. As a cook, he appreciated food and liked to see his companions enjoy their meal, whether he had prepared it or not. Helen was apparently a good eater, too. Like mother, like daughter he thought. He wondered how much else they had in common. He sat down between them and prepared to find out.

Helen opened the conversation. "Lucas, how is your daughter? Is she with her mother at the moment?"

"Lily's fine, thank you, and yes, she is with her mother."

"I would love to meet her," Helen said. "Maybe you could bring her by and Aria could bring Dizzy. I'm sure Lily would love to play with the dog."

Lucas watched Aria stiffen in her chair. He had a pretty good idea of what she was thinking: Mom, stop trying to micromanage my love life. But Lucas enjoyed Helen and found himself in agreement with her about the benefits of bringing the two families together for a visit.

"I'm sure Lily would like that, Mrs. Spencer. She's already met Dizzy once, and she was crazy about him."

"Oh really?"

"Lily and I were on a bike ride and happened to pass Aria's house while she was out in the yard with Dizzy. We had lemonade and cookies, and Lily got to play with Dizzy."

"Well, that sounds lovely!" Helen was clearly pleased with the story. Aria was silent, quietly eating her filet. "Aria is an accomplished baker, as I'm sure you found out."

"Without question. Her chocolate chip oatmeal cookies were an event in themselves. I've never tasted anything like them."

Aria set her fork down. "Mother, I'm sure Lucas isn't really interested in my baking skills—"

"Not true!" Lucas said, interrupting.

Aria said, "Why don't you tell us about your volunteer work with the literacy council, Mother?"

Lucas watched as Aria skillfully maneuvered Helen away from talk about her to something else that Helen was clearly passionate about. As Helen discussed her work, Lucas watched Aria listening politely, occasionally prompting her with another question. She really knew how to handle her mother he thought, and yet she did it with kindness and compassion.

He started to lose track of the conversation and just enjoy watching Aria. The soft chandelier lights above cast a warm light over her, and her hair and dress shimmered. He wanted to reach out and play with the curly tendrils of hair gracing her neck. He wanted to be close enough to her to smell her night orchid scent.

As they finished their dinner, Lucas said, "Mrs. Spencer, Ms. Spencer, would you like to accompany me to the ballroom?"

Helen put her napkin down and stood up immediately. "That sounds like a wonderful idea, Lucas. Aria?"

Aria, still sitting, hesitated. Lucas put his hand out for her, and taking it, she rose. Lucas could sense her reluctance to go to the ballroom.

Aria walked into the ballroom, her hand on Lucas's arm. Her hand tightened on his arm when she saw all the people dancing and chatting, glittering underneath the chandeliers. So many people. What in the world were they all talking about? While she was staring at the room, she heard Lucas say to her mother, "Mrs. Spencer, would you excuse us please while I dance with your daughter?"

"Of course! No need to worry about me. I have some friends I need to catch up with."

"Don't go too far—I'm hoping to have the honor of a dance with you, too," Lucas said.

Helen's smile widened. "I'd like that very much, Lucas." She drifted away to find her friends.

"You are smooth, Lucas Cardin," Aria said.

"I prefer chivalrous. And I like your mom, Aria."

"I think the feeling is mutual."

"And I like you, too," he said, with a teasing grin on his face. "Come on, come dance with me, Aria."

She allowed Lucas to lead her onto the floor and put his hand on her waist. The precise notes of a waltz guided their steps. At first Aria was tense, but then she started to relax. Lucas clearly knew what he was doing, and Aria was glad her mother had insisted on those dance classes when she was a teenager. She stopped thinking about all the other people around her and let her mind drift as she followed Lucas's lead without thinking about it. He smelled wonderful, and he was so near. For this moment in time, she would forget about the sorrows of the past and the problems of the future, and just enjoy being in the arms of the handsome man she loved.

Lucas watched the thoughts chase across Aria's face as he guided her across the dance floor. She seemed to have found some type of peaceful place in her mind, because her eyes were half-closed and her lips were curved in a tiny smile. And what appealing lips they were, Lucas thought as he gently pulled her closer. He was starting to know those lips and to crave them whenever he was around Aria. He understood the complications the two of them faced, but he could not help loving her and wanting her. Her presence in his life was a totally unexpected gift, and he would be a fool to walk away from it.

The dance ended, and Lucas continued to hold Aria's hand. "How about some fresh air?"

"Okay, that sounds nice."

They walked through the french doors onto the patio, which was lined with pots of shrubs covered in twinkling fairy lights. In the dark, they could barely see the golf course and beyond it, a small manmade lake.

Aria considered the view. "During the day, people walk here hitting golf balls, but at night it's lovely and magical," she said.

"I never thought of a golf course as magical, but you're right," Lucas said. He was still holding Aria's hand, and was surprised when she turned and laid her other hand on his cheek. Then she slid her hand behind his neck and pulled him down to her, lips parted. She kissed him slowly but with purpose, and he returned the effort, wrapping his arms around her and stroking her bare back as his lips increased their pressure. Aria felt herself melting, turning into a liquid fountain of gold as the kiss became more intimate, more demanding.

Finally, Lucas pulled back from her. Aria's heart was racing and she stared at Lucas. He said, "What inspired that?"

"It just felt right, here tonight with you."

Lucas took her hand. "I couldn't agree more."

Now Aria felt a little uncomfortable under his direct gaze. "I wouldn't mind something cool to drink," she said.

"What would you like?"

"Just a ginger ale, please." Her senses were clouded enough without adding more alcohol to the situation.

"Right back." As Lucas walked away, Aria leaned on the stone railing of the patio, looking out at the rolling hills of the dark golf course. She put her fingertips to her lips, which were still tingling. She couldn't help but smile, and she gave herself a quick hug. The stars were out now, and no matter what she had said to Jaada, she did feel like she was having a fairytale moment. She knew that reality was out there, waiting for her, but right now, right here, she let herself feel the magic.

*****

Aria sat at a small table and watched Lucas leading her mother in a foxtrot around the ballroom floor. She sipped her ginger ale and smiled as she saw her mother laugh at something Lucas said. Her mother could be a bossy, interfering parent, but Aria did love her, and it pleased her to see her enjoying a dance with Lucas. She just hoped that Helen wasn't being too inquisitive with Lucas. Although, thinking about it, Aria doubted that there was anything her mother could say that Lucas couldn't handle. He always seemed so at ease wherever he was, so ready to find the humor in any situation, and just generally unflappable. Except maybe a few minutes ago on the patio. Aria tried not to think about the kiss, wanting to maintain her composure in the crowded ballroom.

"Hello, Ms. Spencer," a cool voice said. Aria took her eyes off Lucas and her mother and started when she saw Brandi standing near her. "I'm sorry, did I startle you? I suppose you weren't expecting to run into me here, were you?"

"Good evening, Mrs. Rutherford," Aria said, struggling to present a calm facade. It was an unpleasant shock to run into Brandi here.

"Are you enjoying the gala, Ms. Spencer?" Brandi asked.

"Yes, I am. Are you?"

"Very much. You and Lucas seem to be getting quite close. Closer than two colleagues who are simply attending a literacy event."

Aria considered what to say next. This meeting could turn into a disaster for Lucas, Lily, and her if Brandi decided to make trouble. "We're happy to be here to support the literacy cause." Aria decided to ignore Brandi's insinuations.

"May I?" Brandi gestured to the empty seat across from Aria.

"Of course."

Brandi sat down and said to Aria, "Let me be clear. I am a woman who has had multiple husbands, and I know a romance when I see one. This relationship between you and Lucas is entirely inappropriate, and I am sure the school would frown on it. As Lily's mother, I disapprove as well. I will be sure to let the principal know that Lily's teacher is dating her father, another teacher at Lakewood." Brandi smiled a calculating smile. 

Aria was torn between anger at having this woman talk to her like this, and fear at the trouble she could cause for all of them. The anger won out. "Mrs. Rutherford, I appreciate your concern for our private lives, but they are just that, private. It is absolutely none of your business who I go to a social event with. If you find my teaching to be lacking in some way, or an academic issue arises with Lily, I hope you'll let me know immediately. Short of that, I'll say good evening to you."

Aria stood up and was about to walk away when Brandi grabbed her arm. "Just a minute. Anything that involves my daughter is my business, and if you think you're going to steal my daughter and my husband—"

"Ex-husband," Aria said coolly. She watched Brandi's eyes catch fire and shoot burning daggers at her.

"At the moment, but that may change!"

Lucas and Helen walked up in time to hear the last minute of the conversation and quickly sum up the situation. Lucas started to say something, but Helen cut him off. "Hello, you must be Lily's mother. I'm Helen Spencer, Aria's mother. A pleasure to meet you." She offered her hand to Brandi, who was caught off guard and didn't know else to do, so she shook it.

Having completed the pleasantries, Helen moved close to Brandi. She murmured, "Now I'm not sure what you're up to, but if you ever accost my daughter again, I'll make sure you wish you had stayed home to paint your claws and file your fangs." Helen stepped back and said in a normal tone of voice. "It's been lovely to meet you, but I'm afraid we have to move on. Good night." She turned around and walked out of the ballroom. Aria and Lucas looked at Brandi and at each other. Without a word, they followed Helen out of the room.

*****

Helen went to the restroom, and Lucas and Aria watched each other, neither sure what to say or do next. Lucas finally said, "I'm sorry, Aria. Brandi likes to stir up trouble, especially if it involves me. You just have to ignore her."

"Ignore her? She's about to tell the school that we're involved, Lucas."

"So let her. Ms. Rollins is a reasonable principal. We've been out on a couple dates; it's no big deal. It's not like we're running off to get married."

Aria gasped, and her eyes opened wide in shock and hurt.

Lucas immediately realized his mistake. "Aria, I'm sorry. That's not what I meant!"

"Actually, I think it is. You're right, it's no big deal. No big deal at all. My mistake that I was starting to take this relationship seriously."

Helen returned and could tell immediately that something was wrong. "Aria—"

"Mother, I would appreciate it if you would give me a ride home," Aria said coldly.

Lucas said, "Aria, listen to me, you know that—"

Aria interrupted, "If you're ready, Mother, I would appreciate it if we could leave now."

Helen said, "Aria, honey—"

"Now, please."

"Of course." Helen looked at Lucas with a worried expression on her face. "Good night, Lucas. I'm sure I'll see you soon."

I doubt it, thought Aria.

"Goodnight, Mrs. Spencer. Goodnight, Aria. I'll call you tomorrow," Lucas said, running his hand through his hair, making it stand up like the porcupine quills Aria was sporting.

Aria turned without a word and walked to the door. Her mother gave one last look to Lucas and followed her.

In the car, Helen waited a few minutes before she said, "Aria, what happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay, but it might help..."

"I don't want to talk about it!"

"All right." Helen drove down the dark road without speaking.

"I can't believe he said this is no big deal! I can't believe he said it's not like we're running off to get married! I can't believe he made me fall in love with him! I can't believe this is happening to me again!" Aria began to cry—big, gulping sobs. And at the same time, she felt a deep anger begin a slow burn in her heart. "Who does he think he is? He's just another loser teacher who I was stupid enough to fall in love with!"

Helen let Aria vent for a few minutes. "Why don't you back up and start at the beginning, Honey? What do you mean, 'happening to you again'?"

Aria took a deep breath and spilled the whole story of her romance with Jake and his epic dumping of her at the airport.

Helen said, "Why didn't you tell me, Aria? I'm so sorry you had to go through this all alone. Why didn't you let me know that this was why you came back to Lakewood?"

Aria wiped her face with a tissue and said, "Because I thought you would be mad that we were going to elope without telling you, and because I thought you would think I was a failure if you knew!"

"Oh, Honey, that's not true. Of course I would have been disappointed to be left out of your wedding, but I love you, and I want you to be happy. I would never think you're a failure. If anything, this Jake is a failure and a numbskull for missing out on what would have been the best thing in his life!"

Aria sniffed and looked at her mother. "Really?"

"Really."

"Thanks. I love you, too, Mom."

Helen squeezed Aria's hand. "Now what happened with Lucas tonight?"

Aria recounted the conversation, getting worked up all over again. "He acted like what we have is nothing. Nothing!"

"Honey, Lucas seems like a kind, honorable man. We all say the wrong thing sometimes. Goodness knows I do! I think you should give him a chance to explain himself before you do anything rash."

But Aria did not intend to give him a chance to hurt her again. She would not be vulnerable to another man. She would not have her heart shattered again. Before Helen dropped her off, Aria asked her mother for a favor. Helen was opposed to it but said yes anyway, because it was what Aria wanted. Her plan was set in motion.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

The Magnolia Café Liz Thomaz

Любовные романы

117K 7.8K 52
After her fiancé left without warning, leaving behind only a note on the kitchen counter, Isabella thought it was time to start over. She was broken...
Betting on us Morgan A. Wardle

Любовные романы

3.7K 193 35
𝐉𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐚𝐠𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭... Aria Williams has always be been ok with the fact she's nothing like her sist...
The Color of Love Christina Brandal

Любовные романы

580 65 18
Lillian Dillinger is an artist--but life has lost its color. Convinced by her toxic ex-husband that she isn't worthy of real love, she believes she'l...
Not Another Office Romance Pinkerton

Любовные романы

36 2 22
This is the story of two high school sweethearts that had gone through a bad, nasty break up. In an interesting turn of events they find themselves w...