Half Human, Half Xliez

NaturalWarrior tarafından

ONC Novella. A little of something I've thought about. Promt no. 31. Total word count: 20015 Daha Fazla

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2

Chapter 5

3 1 0
NaturalWarrior tarafından

"Are we...are we safe here?" Drix wheezed when he finally found his breath.

"For the time being, yes." I replied curtly. I did not want to be rude but the headaches have become unbearable to the point I had to stop running and sit in silence.

The building had broken down, leaving nothing but rubble in it's wake. No sign of the the three Xliez we had interrogated, or of the other six. Or of Lidwina or the scientists.

Hopefully they're dead. I do not want anyone experimenting on people. But, taking a life...when it was not mine to begin with...

"Hey, I know what that look means. You did the right thing, okay?" His each word, syllable was like a hammer to my mind. "It was either us or them, and I personally do not want to die."

"Do you truly belive that?"

He was silent for a moment before shaking his head, "No."

We were in that position for a long while. We were in the open, just a few buildings down of the headquarters. Any random Xliez, even if minding their own buisness, could find us. I waited till I could ignore my throbbing head. Till it could calm down a little.

"Come on, now." I said, not wanting to stay another minute. "We have to find somewhere to hide."

"And where, if I may ask, have you decided to go?" An old, male voice, complete with the traditional language of Xliez accent.

Both of our heads turned towards him.

"Who are you?" I asked, just as Drix said, "Of course you had to come." His words practically dripped in sarcasm.

However, the man only smiled. "Nice to see you too Hendrix." Then he nodded at me, still keeping his ten feet distance, "I am Lyall, you probably have heard of me."

Lyall...

Yeah, the name was vaguely familiar.

"You had a companion with you..." I muttered. There was someone, and something about doctors and-

"He was one of the scientists who worked with Lidwina to wipe us." Hendrix said tersely. "And I don't think you come in peace. What do you want? Another test subject?"

I may not remember much, but I am sure I have never heard Drix use this tone. Saying he was annoyed will be an understatement.

"To help." He replied, in tone which contrasted highly against Drix's. "I want to help."

"You can not get within ten feet near us if you value your life." I warned, hoping he did not hear my remorse I had shown just moments ago. If it has got Drix worried, I should worry too.

"I have never brought any harm to you." He informed. "I worked on the orders of our Incharge."

"Elaborate." I do not have any patience for this.

"It was my work to ensure you got settled in the country without any harm."

"Is that why there was your name in the list of people who made the memory alteration thing?" He snarled, all weakness from his voide gone. "Drop the act, it's not going to get you anywhere."

"It was not my will as much as it was an order. And I want to atone. Please, give me a chance." His voice was frantic, now speaking to Drix.

"He sounds sorry enough." I said, low enough for only Hendrix to listen.

"That's what he wants us to believe."

I somehow could not believe him. Him, as in Drix.

"Prove it. Prove that you really mean it. Helping us, being forced to do anything, all of it."

Drix looked at me as if I have grown two heads which, even for a hybrid, was not possible. "Rule it down to me being generous." I muttered to him.

"Hybrids have a special power over us. They have creativity, understanding and forgiveness like the humans and strenght, persistence and memory like the Xliez. They also get one more trait from the humans, which amplifies when mixed with Xliez blood, the power of persuasion. If worded carefully, the hybrids can make the Xliez do whatever they want, though, this is not something anyone else knows."

I looked at my companion, his head was tilted slightly from the not as suspected answer. But my attention was mostly on his last sentence.

If worded carefully, the hybrids can make the Xliez do whatever they want, though, this is not something anyone else knows...

I decided to use the trick. It worked at the labs, why would it not work here?

"Have whatever you said to us today, at this hour, true?" Drix was looking more annoyed at me than the doctor, which I can handle if it could help us in getting a shelter.

The man stiffenend, as if the question mads him a robot. "Yes. All of that was the truth."

"Do you really want to help us?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because I like humanity. And I want to atone for what I have done to you both. And hybrids are a lot like humans."

"Too many ands..." I said to myself just as Drix asked, "Why are you believing him?"

"He could have killed or captured us when we were distracted, but he didn"t. We do not have anywhere else to go, this may be our only choice."

He huffed. "I hate the plan and I hate that you use logic but continue on."

The doctor, probably hearing everything from his keen hearing, something which all the Xliez and hybrids have, nodded and asked us to follow him. We shared a look, of confusion, and followed him. It was not long before we stood in front of a humble looking, all things considered, house.

It was crammed between two more building, looking a little suffocated, and was in the same theme as the rest of the city. Black, blue and white. It actually looked quite good with the shades and all, but I do not understand the taste of Xliez, any Xliez. They are so monotonous one can build a bridge out of it.

The door opened on itself after it scanned Lyall from head to toe at the threshold; he beckoned us in. After a brief hesitation on our part, we followed.

"Make yourself home. The kitchen in on your right, though I suspect you would like to eat anything after that," here, he motioned at Drix, "the rooms are on the other side of the lab, a few rooms in. You can even check the house for any traps, I doubt you would find any. Take whatever you like."

I frowned. For a Xliez, he was committing treason even when letting us here. But offering to provide with our needs? That was something of another level.

Hendrix, perhaps, came to the same conclusion, he did not care, or was not able to, hide his unease. Poor boy, I pulled him in this mess.

"If we have already come this far..." He shrugged.

I nodded and wheeled in.

"We might need a chair with wheels," I replied to the doctor. "I don't know how you scientists manage to sit in this for much long, but it is uncomfortable to be in, however the one sitting would not complain." I looked pointedly at the sheepish looking boy. He smiled at being caught. As if I did not see him squirming in his seat for god knows how long.

Lyall exhaled, now looking a little relaxed. His red eyes changed to hazel ones as his spider feet like claws slide back inside and he flexed his jaws for his toungue to change. Realizing I could do so too, without offending anyone as La-no, not Lady, Lidwina, Lidwina told me once. My red eyes changed to blue ones as the burning in my toungue started, assuring that my toungue went back to normal. I blinked, fighting the tears off my eyes, and clenched my jaws until the brief pain subsided. Drix did not bother with any of it, he had never changed his appearance to Xliez.

"That will be arranged." The doctor said. "Meanwhile, I would like some rest for myself, you should get some too, it might be your last chance for a while."

I nodded and went in the direction he had previously pointed.

"Have you ever considered if he said to check the place for traps knowing that it would make us more relaxed at a strange place?" Drix asked once we located the room.

"I honestly don't care." I supplied, walking us in. "My headaches are getting worse as it is, I would rather not worry about traps and pitfalls."

Fortunately, he got the message and stayed silent.

I sat on the slightly dusted mattress, light pouring from the window from whatever star was the closest. It was not the sun for sure, sun never seemed so white and it was only possible to look at that star with red eyes.

It was not long before the darkness embraced me in it's comfort.

***

Needless to say, it was not the last time I slept comfortably. Drix's health was degrading like a ball rolling down a steep slope. He refused everything Lyall-actually, I am going to call him doc from now on-gave him. Which made me frustrated at his complete lack of regard to self-health.

This got us into an argument, and then another and another. I felt bad for arguing with him, but I would feel worse if he killed himself by resisting medications.

I eventually won.

The doctor kept us updated with news. News such as Lidwina lived, seven Xliez were killed in the collapse of the headquarters, the patrols were high and all the Xliez of lower class had their houses checked to prove their loyalty since a certain doctor Lyall had decided to uncover that secret to prove his own loyalty in a more subtle way. No problem there.

But our doctor had a hard time figuring out the surveillance system where him helping us and our current location was recorded. But eventually, once he found out, it was not long before he destroyed the footages.

I am still skeptical about his reasons to help us.

And his payment. Of course his payment.

"Write an article about your experiences here. Nothing more, nothing less."

I mean, seriously? He provides us with our needs and all he wants is some writings for some research? What kind of exchange is that?

This, however, pushed the wrong buttons for Drix.

He was too suspicious for his own good but, to my relief, did not object to it other than muttering something under his breath.

I typed down whatever I could remember on the man-made chargable tablet. Drix wrote his story on another but he refused to let me read it. I did not push, knowing he was a little-an understatement-insecure.

On the journey, several things happened, I started remembering things-Lyall helped with that-even if it was only bits and pieces. Drix helped, but not by much. Then one day I remembered how he met me, which was quite an event.

And at one time, I remembered the fosters.

I have typed till here, remembering all that I have wrote, and the fact that Drix has started to walk, albeit with some difficulty, not by much though. And has also began to enlighten himself of Lyall's trustworthiness.

Lyall wanted to leave the planet permanently; upon asking, he informed us that Xliez can live a life without their most important food, i.e, Grind, if they double their eatables.

But, if we destroy the source of the 'emerging' of their Grind, it might stop them, or, at least, delay them enough for another strike.

The Xliez had planned to take away the hybrids' lives, it won't be long before they do the same for the humans. After all, rebels can only be suppressed so much.

***

Tomorrow.

I and Drix-who was now healthy enough to run without much effort-have to execute our plan tomorrow.

I hope I do not mess up, or else it would either be their last night, or ours. And I personally hate the latter.

***

Good day, this is Lyall. It is my fortune to tell you that all of the Grind producer factories, and headquaters were broken down. However, due to some unfortunate circumstances, the hybrids did not survive and all of the surviving Xliez were sent to the emergency transport to earth.

2082 words in this part

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

2 0 1
A Science-Fantasy story
14.9K 2.9K 14
When Jennisa delivers a spaceship database to a suspicious group, she covertly takes a copy of the group's files when she helps them connect it. She...
10 0 9
Kindle : Interitus -To resist is human: Volume 1 : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D4R7V3YB?tag=r0b5d-20 The Sol Federation faces annihilation from a rav...
272 42 14
Written for ONC India Prompt Number 3 Heartbroken and betrayed, Melissa had lost everything. But in an unforeseen twist of fate, life had given her a...