Side Character's Curse

By BlueStarrySky1

"Keep your happily ever after, it ain't mine." Doomed to live forever as a side character, a dragon-shifter... More

Dedication
1|| The Proposal
2|| Tea
3|| Noise
4|| Glitch
5|| Midnight
6|| Jia
7|| The Offer
9|| Steal
10|| Dress
11|| Just characters
12|| Brother
13|| Ridiculous
14|| Ballroom Scandal
15|| Remember
16|| Another world
17|| Family
Epilogue

8|| Situation

20 4 36
By BlueStarrySky1

Rowan forgot to mention one tiny little detail in his crash course: time flowed differently in the dream world.

"Lady Jia, wake up!" Abney's sharp tone resounded through the wooden door. "You have already missed breakfast. Laziness is not a virtuous quality in a young lady!"

I groaned, pushing myself up. "Sorry, Madame Abney! I will be ready within thirty minutes."

Pinpricks of pain spread across the back of my neck and I dug my fingers into it, trying to bring some small relief. I scratched my head and yawned, grabbing the grimy mirror on my nightstand and squinted into a stranger's reflection.

"Wow." I gasped. "I'm so sorry, Jia."

Deep trenches of shadows encircled her eyes, standing out against sallow skin. I combed my fingers through tangled dark hair, wincing as I pulled on more than just a few knots. Every muscle ached like I'd sprinted a marathon, and I longed for a warm bath to soak in.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed. They transformed into a series of green ones and zeros. I scrambled back and they disappeared, smoothing back into the familiar grey floors.

Another Glitch.

My heart clambered up my throat and I exhaled a shaky breath, burying my face in my hands.

Ding!

I closed my eyes, dread pooled in the pit of my stomach. Please, no.

The woefully familiar sign hovered between me and the closet, illuminating the tiny bedroom with a bright blue glow.

New challenge unlocked!

Complete the 'Misunderstanding' quest and create drama between characters 'Calista' and 'Calix' to deepen their romance!

Rewards: 4 Incidents, Sword of Peril

Time limit: End of the day

Penalty: 50% reduction of stamina

Hint: You may wish to use the second male lead in this quest ;)

"Misunderstanding?" I scoffed, swiping my hand through the message. "They're already in denial about their feelings. What more does the system want?"

I crossed the room and tugged on the closet doors, the rusted hinges squeaked so high it set my teeth on edge. There were a grand total of three dresses, limp and faded of most of their colour, but they were cleaner than the ones I'd dumped in a haphazard pile by the foot of the bed.

A red one in particular caught my eye; it was dark with a stiff bodice and a slightly puffed skirt and intricate designs etched onto it. The sleeves were white and stopped just past my elbow, and the material was thin enough to keep me cool in this nightmarish heat.

Besides, I always wore red when I needed a little confidence boost.

I steeled my nerves and rested my hand on the doorknob, a sense of unease trickled down my spine. I longed to just bury myself in the blankets and ignore the entire world, but I had a job to complete. It wasn't the first time I'd felt this way— like I just wanted to quit and see how far the system would go. But every time, my survival instincts kicked in and I found myself completing task after task with no end in sight and, even as despair sunk its deadly claws into my heart, I kept going.

At least this time, there was hope.

I opened the door and nearly smacked into another person.

"Oh, I say!" She exclaimed, stepping back. Her brown hair was tucked into a neat updo and she had a smattering of freckles across the bridge of her nose— cute, but not enough to be one of the main characters. "Lady Jia, I was told to give something to you."

I wracked my brain to try and remember her name, but drew a blank. I raised a brow and settled for the cold, aloof look. "I see, thank you."

She held out a letter, but snatched it away just as I was about to take it with a playful grin. "It was given by a rather handsome man. Who was he? Are you two—"

"I don't have time for this," I snarled, grabbing her wrist and twisting it while ripping the paper from her hand.

She squealed and called out rather foul curses. Rubbing her wrist, which was slightly red, she glared at me and sped downstairs.

Another potential bridge burned. I thought with a bitter smile. Shoving aside the guilt brewing in my stomach, I tore open the envelope and unfolded the crisp page.

Scrawled in messy handwriting were the words:

Meet me at Hibiscus Teahouse

— R

***

I pressed my hat against my head and squinted, staring up at the large, squat building before me. It had a low roof that jutted out, large windows set in white stone, and circular tables surrounded by metal chairs— which were empty as most people seeked refuge inside from the heat.

"Hibiscus Teahouse," I muttered, reading the cursive on the sign. The sun beat down behind me, causing sweat to trickle down my back. I flapped my free hand near my face in a futile attempt to cool down and pushed open the doors.

A gush of cold air greeted me and I sighed, my shoulders dropped in relief. I pulled off my hat and scanned the packed interior with people either chatting with friends or waiting in line. A tinge of sweetness hung in the air as iced drinks were passed out by exhausted and overworked baristas, whose dark circles and flushed cheeks reminded me of my own retail stories.

Now, where is that damned Dreamer? I scanned the crowd, trying to spot that familiar head of ashen coloured hair.

"Over here!"

I turned towards the voice. Rowan had chosen the far, right corner next to a large window. Sunlight streamed through the pane and hit his brown eyes, causing them to sparkle like diamonds as a crooked grin spread across his face. He was chatting with two young women and one man, who were gazing at him with pure adoration.

"I'm sorry, ladies and gent," he drawled as I approached. "I'm afraid I'll have to cut this conversation short since my date has arrived."

I bristled. "Not your date, Dre— Rowan."

"Close friend, then." He winked and I wanted to stab his eyeball with a fork.

"Oh, I understand," the man said, disappointment etched across his features. He shot me a dirty look before turning to Rowan with a hopeful smile. "Will we be able to meet you again?"

Rowan let out a mournful sigh and crossed his arms. "Unfortunately, no. Once you get up from your seats and pass that table–" he pointed to the only empty one about four feet away, "–any trace of me will be wiped from your memory."

One of the women furrowed her brows and leaned forward. "That's impossible!"

"I'm afraid not. Please, feel free to test it out." He smirked and, with a sweep of his arm, gestured to the entire establishment. "If I am wrong, then I shall buy you whatever it is your heart desires."

Chairs scraped against the floor and excited murmurs blended into the din. The eager trio scrambled to push past each other and strode forward. But then, their eyes glazed over and a blank, almost dazed expression seized their countenance. They stared at each other and sat down at the empty table, dissolving into an animated conversation almost instantly. The woman who had spoken earlier happened to make eye-contact with Rowan and gave a small, polite smile with not a hint of recognition playing on her face.

"Goodness," I murmured, sliding into the seat. "I never fully realised how terrible your curse is."

He leaned back, draping his arm over the back as he swung on the hind legs. "I could say the same to you. Not a single so-called noble person offered a greeting to you."

I chuckled, tilting my head to observe the daylight streaming through the windows and bathing the room in a warm glow. "It's the side character's curse. I'm destined to forever be on the sidelines."

"Not for long."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Sorry, Dreamer, I may have agreed to a partnership, but that doesn't mean I have too much faith in your plan. You're just... the best situation out of a bad lot."

"I'm flattered." Rowan leaned forward, resting his chin on his open palm. "Don't you have a happily ever after you're looking forward to?"

I threw my head back and laughed humourlessly. Wiping away the tears from the corner of my eye, I grinned. "Keep your happily ever after, it ain't mine."

A frown creased his forehead and a dark shadow passed over his face. "You really should–" He broke off with a sharp shake of his head. "No, never mind. Tell me, has the system given you any tasks yet?"

I nodded and briefly explained the Misunderstanding quest. When I was finished, he leaned back with a thoughtful expression, interlocking his fingers and resting them on his stomach.

"What do you think?" I asked. "Is there even a way to break the plot without angering the system here?"

"Oh, it's possible." A devilish smirk spread across his face. "Out of all the romance stories you've been in, what're the common features of a second male lead?"

"Well, they're usually good-looking, kind, almost completely devoted to the female lead, and typically have better chemistry with her than the male lead." I counted on my fingers and paused. "Oh! They also usually establish some sort of close bond with the female lead to make the male lead jealous."

"So we need to subvert that." Rowan ruffled his hair, causing one side to stick up higher than the other. "But how?"

I thought for a few seconds before speaking. "What if... we have the two leads establish a good bond before he meets the female lead? That way, it could reduce the levels of jealousy if they get along?"

"That... could do it." He nodded. "Let's test it out. Keep your eyes peeled for anyone who could be the second lead. I'm gonna go order some mango ice cream— it's still your favourite flavour, right?"

I flinched, pulling back. "How did you know I like mangoes?"

He shifted in his seat, avoiding my gaze by studying the scratches on the table. "The first time we met, you had mango stains on your dress. Look! The counter is free!"

Before I could question him further, he was gone, leaving me with a sinking feeling in my stomach that I was missing something very important.

****************************

Total word count: 11 783

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16 11 8
Despite their strong friendship... it depends mainly on their dark past... and the suffering from the hard life ...and despite the differences betwee...
81K 6.1K 45
One mistake changes Hannah's life forever, exiling her from her realm and isolating her from the man who loves her. Now, Hannah must find a way to re...
1.3M 72.6K 118
Born with glowing green eyes. Destined for rotten luck. Peasant girl Meya Hild was "given" the opportunity to become a Lady. At swordpoint. By merce...
249 50 28
"Little Miss Han is curious to enter the room." "I-I" He comes closer to me while I move back until I hit the wall. "Did you forget what I told you...