CUPID | (ONC 2024)

By Magic_Dew

I shot Cupid because I didn't want to fall in love again. Kore is a young maiden living on an island owned by... More

INTRO
CHAPTER I
CHAPTER II
CHAPTER III
CHAPTER IV
CHAPTER V
CHAPTER VI
CHAPTER VIII
CHAPTER IX
CHAPTER X

CHAPTER VII

2 0 0
By Magic_Dew

Something bad is 'bout to happen to me. I don't know it, but I feel it coming. Might be so sad, might leave my nose running. I just hope she don't wanna leave me. Don't you give me up, please don't give up. Honey, I belong with you, and only you, baby

-Steve Lacy

➽─────────➤

Colorful birds chirp on the edge of the lake. The sun sets low until a warm light covers the scenery. From under the shade of a grand gazebo, Kore and Cupid dine together. The gorgeous views from Mount Olympus surround them. But all Kore can concentrate on is Cupid.

"Is your salad not good?" Cupid asks concerned about why this girl is only staring and not eating. He's starting to feel self-conscious when he eats his food.

"It's great."

Cupid's face twists in confusion. Kore hasn't touched it once. The whole night has been so difficult with her. Other girls Cupid has been with have at least engaged in conversation. He honestly can't wait to get rid of her, so tonight he has decided to do something about it.

"Look, Kore, I've been enjoying our time together," before Cupid can finish his sentence, Kore's breathy voice interrupts.

Her head goes up and down rapidly in agreement. "Oh! Me too! I can't wait to spend my whole life with you. Did you know I'm immortal? That means we can be together forever."

Cupid blanks. The first time she rants to him, she shares that information. Cupid thought this girl was mortal.

"You are," Cupid tries to comprehend what she just said, "You are immortal?"

Kore gives another passionate nod. "Blessed from calypso. I remember I used to live with her. I guess that changed when I met you. I can't recall how that happened, but that doesn't matter." Kore gives an innocent smile.

Cupid takes a moment to shove another fork full of salad into his mouth. Kore never takes her eyes off of him when he chews. He swears she never blinks, and it's scaring him.

Kore keeps talking in the meantime. Cupid is starting to realize that he likes the quiet Kore better.

"Even though I haven't been on the island for a while, I still know I'm immortal. You know, if that gets taken away, then I'll die." The conversation goes silent after that.

A nearby servant swoops into the gazebo to refill the glasses of wine. Cupid immediately chugs his. He needs to bring up his plan to Kore at one point tonight.

"Your dishes will be out shortly," the maiden announces. "Careful on that wine, Cupid. I still remember what happened last week." She shoots him a wink before leaving.

Kore's stare is taken off Cupid to follow the servant girl. She doesn't look back until she is fully gone. "I don't like how she talked to you," Kore tells Cupid.

Oh great. Now she's being protective? Cupid pleads for this night to go by quickly. Maybe he can claim to get hot and jump into the lake. But he still needs to tell Kore about something.

Cupid clears his throat. "She was just someone I used to know," he says innocently. It's true, but because of the spell put on Kore, she ignores all the facts that Cupid is the God of Love, and therefore, dates around a lot.

Kore's eyebrows scrunch together quickly before letting her face go calm. It's probably nothing. For the first time, she picks up a fork to eat her salad. The colorful taste fills her mouth, and for once, her thoughts aren't on Cupid.

"I need to talk to you about something," Cupid blurts out. He planned on being more chill with his approach.

Kore gives him a nod while being silent from chewing her food.

She waits patiently, wondering what Cipid's going to say next. He always has her on her toes, it's one of her favorite things about him, besides a hundred other things she could list.

Cupid starts to cool down and think before he talks. This is his space. He's a God, and she's not. Kore should be intimidated by him, so he doesn't feel the need to be nervous. Kore seems to be so madly in love with Cupid, that she probably won't even react to what he has to say, all she wants to do is stare at his lips.

"So," Cupid starts. His hands clap together above the tablecloth. The warm sunlight brings out his dark hair and pale skin. The jewelry hanging from his ears twinkles as it sways slightly. All these details go unnoticed by Kore because she listens closely to Cupid's words. He continues, "I was thinking about something."

"What about?" Kore asks while reaching for her cup of wine. She believes he's asking her on another date.

Cupid's gaze wanders to the lake instead of Kore's face. "You remember how you said you haven't been on Calypso's island for a while? Well, I think we should go back for a visit."

It's not exactly what Cupid wanted to say. He didn't want to say anything at all and just shipped her back to the island in a sac, but that didn't work out. Because the watered-down response makes Cupid's offer sound like a date, Kore doesn't reject it.

"Calypso's island? I mean, sure, I would love to go on a trip with you," Kore gives a small smile while thinking of her and Cupid on an island. "Why did you pick that island? There are so many more that are better?"

Cupid tries not to sigh. He knew it wouldn't be that easy. "Your good friend Calypso asked us for a visit. I thought it would be nice to see her, that's all." He puts his hands in the air defensively before watching the servant girl walk back to the gazebo with their food in hand.

Kore stops her questions about the trip to glare at the waiter. She was going to comment on how Cupid knows Calypso but was distracted. The girl serving them puts down their plates and gives a lingering gaze on Cupid. He doesn't notice it, but Kore does.

Heat burns down her neck. Can't this servant just leave them alone? She's just jealous that Kore's on a date with Cupid, and she's not. However, Kore does notice how the stranger girl sort of looks like her, but prettier. Kore shuts down that thought immediately and turns back to Cupid.

"We will leave tomorrow afternoon," Cupid announces before picking up his silverware to cut into his meal. Kore's head turns back to him. She's not completely excited to go visit Calypso, mainly because she doesn't remember her life on the island well, but if she's going with Cupid, then she'll be fine.

➽─────────➤

The night quickly arrived after dinner. Cupid had found a way to separate himself from Kore by making up a false excuse. He had said he wanted to go chat with his mother, however, he just wanted some space to himself. One thing Cupid experienced with putting love spells on girls is that they are extremely attracted to whomever they are linked to.

In Kore's case, she was linked to Cupid. There have been a few other times where Cupid put a spell on a girl to be attracted to him, even though most of the time a spell wasn't necessary. None of those previous times had been as bad at Kore. Sometimes Cupid enjoys the company of his targets, but Kore only drains his energy.

Thankfully, she had agreed to go back to the island. In her mind, this is a vacation getaway for the both of them, but to Cupid, this is only a getaway from Kore.

While Cupid is off finding himself a drink and a quiet space, Kore makes herself at home in her new living space. Cupid had taken her back to the place he stays here on Mount Olympus. Kore had gotten a glimpse of the other houses, and though Cupid's was not as grand, she found comfort in it.

Kore recognizes the couch from earlier. The one she had woken up on. Once Cupid had excused himself, Kore found herself on that couch and thinking of that moment. Kore's anxiety starts to bubble once Cupid leaves her alone. But besides that, she realizes this is the first moment in a while when she can get her thoughts straight. Whenever she's around Cupid, all her brain can focus on is him.

Kore takes the soft blanket off the couch and wraps her body in it. These were the same covers she woke up in. The mysterious gnash that was on her side has been healed by an unnamed medicine. Cupid had looked so charming, but she wondered why she was on his couch and not in a medical room.

Earlier in their dinner conversation, Kore had brought up the accident. Cupid shot down the topic immediately but did mention something about brain damage. That seems to be the explanation Kore most aligns herself with because she doesn't remember the accident at all.

All her memories are hazy. Especially the ones about Calypso's island. She can recall her days with Calypso on a sandy beach. A few other blurry faces come to her mind. The only specific day Kore can remember from the island was when she was blessed with immortality. She had sworn that was the greatest day of her life.

It seemed like the more time Kore spent with herself, the more she started to remember her past. Maybe her brain damage wasn't as extreme as she thought. Soon enough Kore remembered her best friend from the island, what Calypso looked like, and a blurry image of a wedding dress. Had she and Cupid gotten married? Kore's heart flutters at the possibility.

Suddenly, footsteps sound from the front entrance. Kore jumps from the couch, the blanket still wrapped around her. That must be Cupid. He has been gone long enough. Kore is ready to bombard him with questions about her past and marriage, but when she walks into the front room, someone else stands there.

"Before you get your blankets caught in a twist, I would like you to know that I'm just dropping some fruit off," a snotty voice rises from the girl with a bag of fruit in her hands. She wears an expensive gown that's not suitable for delivering groceries.

Kore recognizes her without needing a moment to look at her. She's the servant girl from her dinner date. The one who couldn't keep her eyes off Cupid. It boiled Kore's blood to see her in the gazebo earlier, and she feels the same rage now.

"Thank you, but you can leave." Kore sternly crosses her arms. The blanket falls off her shoulders. She ignores that and keeps her narrow eyes on the girl. The servant doesn't listen, however, and brushes past Kore in a hurry. The audacity. Kore's mouth pops open in shock.

Kore storms in behind her. She finds the girl putting apples into the kitchen's fruit bowl.

"What are you doing?" Kore tries to keep her temper, but her words remain rough.

"My job."

Kore's fists squeeze together as she watches the unwelcome girl. Jealousy bites through all other emotions. The servant ignores her as she restocks the fridge. Why does Cupid even have a servant? He's able enough to get his food.

Kore debates whether she should just storm away and let her leave on her own. She should just wait for Cupid to come back. He will do something about his annoying servant. However, Kore decides to stay. She watches the girl closely. She has no reason to do anything to her, but she can still attempt to do something about the situation.

Kore is about to tell the girl to get out, but she speaks before Kore gets a chance. The girl turns towards Kore, her bag now empty. With a low voice, she threatens, "Don't believe that Cupid is attracted to you. He's not. You're just another girl he's going to forget about and move on from." Her chest heaves up and now. Sadness is visible behind her eyes.

Kore freezes. What did she just say?

"Liar." That's all Kore manages to growl out. She stays in place as her eyes follow the girl out the door. They share one last glance before Kore hears the door slam shut.

➽─────────➤

2024 words

Posted 4/23/2024

Hey there! What are your thoughts on the story so far? Do you think Kore's in a fair position? How do you feel about Cupid's intentions?

"Do everything in love," 1 Corinthians 16:14

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86K 2.3K 32
The merciless goddess of love Aphrodite has set her son up for failure when she sends him into modern-day times to find a girl who would spite him. O...
8.5K 298 43
What if the Leo had lost the Physician's Cure? Will he be happy to live in the Underworld as a ghost? He wouldn't be able to summon fire anymore no...
305 81 24
❝And in the end, I always learn how to be strong. Alone.❞ ________________ Falling in love seems like a dream to most people. To Calypso, it's a curs...
173K 16K 28
Daughter of Goddess Demeter and the God Zeus, Queen of the Underworld, known for her naive yet kind nature, as well as her beauty. She caught the eye...