The Heart of Batman | Bruce W...

By octoberbabyj

"You are Master Bruce's sun and Batman's moon. He can't quite figure you out." - Alfred Pennyworth, the loyal... More

Gotham City
Past romance
Every mask has a face
The Crowns
Sun (doesn't) shine in Gotham
Emma's daughter
Memories of the past
The fall from grace
Fortune-telling and superstitions
The Cat and the Bat
Troubles with Harley Quinn
Like mother like daughter
Green Arrow
The Heart of Penquin
An imposter
Green is The Bat
Uncle Joker
Love confession
Girl friend
Fever
Sad is the Bat
Ro's heart
Broken Compass
Rogue
Coffee Kisses
Deadshot
Rogue is Ro
Storm
Bat in love
Making out
Love in heart of town
Training and kisses
Part of the team

First Date

137 15 0
By octoberbabyj

"Where are you going dressed like that Master Bruce?" Alfred asked me in the hallway.

"Going on a date", I informed.

"With Miss Crown?" My first date with her.

"Have I been seeing anyone else Alfred?" I was wearing a black tracksuit and pair of sneakers.

"No, you haven't Master Bruce but... Dressed like that sir?" Alfred questioned.

"You look like a thief Master Bruce", Alfred disapproved my outfit.

"It was her idea", I explained.

"Are you planning to rob a bank sir as Bonnie and Clyde?"

"As long as we don't get capture, we'll be just fine", I joked.

"Yes, Master Bruce... What have you just said sir?!" Alfred took it a bit too seriously.

I pulled the hood over my head a bit annoyed. "I'm not robbing a bank Alfred."

Ro sneaked out of the manor and met me on the street. "You seem okay with this."

"You gave me enough of time to think", I replied standing next to the car.

We drove in a cheap car to the location. I pretended it was my first time driving car like that but it wasn't.

I recognized one of the workers at the shelter as we were helping serving the dinner to the homeless, and he walked up to greet me in silence. "Mr. Wayne... Bruce."

There was the time I came here to help both as Bruce Wayne and Batman. "You haven't come for years. If it wasn't for the money, I would think you forgot about this place." But once I got more work as Batman I couldn't do both, at night. I had to chose.

I watched her as she served the soup. "You know she comes here almost every night and helps. Who does that in Gotham with her status? She's a wonderful human being."

We climbed up to the rooftop of the shelter and sat down on the edge of the building. "Thank you for bringing me here."

"I took friend's advise", she explained. I haven't forgot. I was the one who gave her the advice dressed up in my vigilante costume.

"A friend?" I asked.

"You don't have to worry about him. He's probably somewhere out there and punching criminals. He wouldn't be interested in someone like me."

You have no idea how much.

"You're friends with Batman?" I asked trying to sound a bit surprised.

"I want to think that way. Sometimes he watches over me while I'm here. We have a common friend", she explained.

"Do you do this every night?" I asked looking at her.

She looked up at the sky. "Not every night but... yes."

"It helps me feel normal, feel down to earth. It helps me get away from everything."

"This is my secret. I hope one day you'll show me yours Bruce."

My hand reached to her chin and she looked up at me and said. "No kissing on a first date."

I smiled at her words. "So it's a date?"

"I never said it's not." She hugged my arm and put her head on my shoulder.

"I wish we could see the stars. It's the only thing missing for this night to be perfect." It's because of town's pollutions.

"It's perfect as long as I'm with you, Ro."

"You're going to make me change my rule about kissing on a first date." We sat down and watched the sky as our hands slowly moved towards each other, our fingers intertwined.

I woke up in the morning, took a shower, got dressed, and went downstairs to the kitchen. Alfred asked preparing some coffee. "You came late last night Master Bruce. How was your date with Miss Crown I forgot to ask?"

I sat down at the counter, thinking about last night. I smiled. "She is.... like no other." I finished my coffee then went to work. I had a few calls to make, a meeting in the afternoon and a gala night.

I was standing next to the floor length mirror in my room, getting dressed for my gala. And I wasn't alone. She was keeping me company. "Why aren't there many things in your room?"

Ro was sitting on my bed and watched me get dressed. She came early. "I don't need them."

"You should leave before anyone sees you here", I suggested. Only thing was missing was my...

"It's not the first time to be in your room. Why is now any different?" Layla was laying next to her on the floor.

Where I left it?

"You know why." In my room. With me. Alone. You get the point.

"By anyone you mean someone?" I looked around, searching for it. "Who is it? Your quests?"

"Burton?" More as if Commissioner. I can imagine him breaking in my room with gun in his hands.

Layla woke up and exited the room, giving us some privacy as I walked up to her and put my hands on each side of her body and leaned in. She couldn't move. She stared at my lips as I looked down at her. "What are you doing?"

"You're sitting on it." At first she didn't understand then she looked down at saw it.

"Your tie. For a second I thought you were...", her voice trailed off. She handed me the tie.

"It's not as if I wasn't thinking of it", I admitted trying to tie it around my neck.

It's no use. I still don't know how to do it. She watched me struggle and decided to help, surprising me.

She tied my tie and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Are you planning to do anything about it? Any time soon?"

"I thought I have to wait for the second date", I complained a bit.

"I'm sorry about that." I wrapped my arm around her waist and cupped her cheek with my other hand. Our lips were inches apart. It was what we both wanted. It was a perfect moment.

"Ahem", Alfred coughed, standing at the doorframe. It was open. "Your quests are here sir. And so is Mr. Crown."

She moved aside, worried about Burton and ran out of my room. "I... I'll see you downstairs Bruce!"

She ran past Alfred at the doorframe. "Again Alfred? Seriously?"

Alfred looked aside, ashamed. "I apologize Master Bruce."

The ballroom was filled with people. They were mostly talking and drinking. I stopped and talked to a few.

"You seem to pick them knowing there's no chance for a serious relationship. You made an exception with the Crown one. Why is that Bruce? Has she gotten under your skin or something?" Pierce Chapman asked waving the glass wine in his hand.

"or something", I muttered. I don't remember inviting Pierce and I couldn't see Ro anywhere nor Burton. I hoped she didn't get into trouble for being alone with me in my room.

"Gotham is taking. We all wanna know", Pierce said with another wave of his hand. Instead there was a red haired woman in front of me with her back facing me.

Pierce continued remembering. "Expect there was one. What was her name... Ann? Andi?"

The red haired woman turned. My eyes widened at the sight of the familiar blue eyes. "Andrea."

*Flashback

I was at the Gotham Cemetery.

Dark clouds formed above my head as I stood in front of my parents grave, asking myself did I make the right decision, would they be proud of who I have become, when I heard a female's voice.

I lifted my head up and spotted a red haired woman standing in front of a grave and talking with herself. She looked about my age, in her early twenties.

At first I was confused. I thought there was someone else with her but no one was there. We were alone.

She lifted her head up and looked at me.

My eyes widened.

I saw nothing but blue, the color of her eyes. Her crystal blue eyes shone brightly.

"I'm sorry. I'm used to be here alone", she apologized.

"Who are you talking to?" I blurted out. She was gorgeous but then I have met many gorgeous women...

"My mother", she replied sadly.

"I didn't mean to...", I sincerely apologized.

"That's okay. We were done", she said. I felt guilty for interrupting the conversation.

"You're not the only one...", I started in a low voice. She looked at me at bit confused.

"I talk to my parents", I confessed. I've never told anyone that before. That's the reason I come to the cemetery. I can feel their presence...

"What did you say?"

"I made a vow", I replied.

"What vow?" She asked but I didn't reply.

"A secret one", she concluded. "Have you kept it?"

"So far", I replied.

"I'm...", I started introducing myself.

"Bruce Wayne", she finished. Now I was the one confused. I would remember if I have met her before.

"I know. I saw you on campus. You are all they talk about these day. The boy billionaire." That made sense. Everyone in Gotham knows who I am. I'm thinking about dropping out of college.

"I'm Andrea Beaumont", she introduced.

That's how we met.

That's how it all started. Our short-lived romance.

We dated.

I've never dated anyone before, I wasn't interested in dating. She made me laugh again. She was my first.

She changed everything.

I told her my secret. She was the first woman I told. She understood me completely. I was myself with her. I was free.

But I started to feel conflicted about the live I lived and the life I wanted to live.

The live I lived.

It didn't feel right anymore.

It was pouring but I didn't mind the rain as I stood in front of my parents grave, desperate for answers.

I begged on my parents grave. "I know I made a promise... but I didn't count on being happy. Please tell me it's okay... Please..."

I decided to give up everything for her. I chose to give up being Batman.

We were in the garden.

It was a rare day in Gotham. The sun was shining brightly in the sky, not a cloud in sight.

I bent on one knee in front of her and opened the black box that contained the engagement ring. "Will you marry me?"

I proposed her. She's the first one I proposed.

I was never more nervous in my entire life but I didn't let it be shown as I patiently waited for her answer, hopping she would accept my marriage proposal, hoping she would say...

"Yes!!!" She jumped into my arms unexpectedly, looking at the ring on her finger.

It was the happiest day of my life but then some people are just not meant to be happy. I didn't know that then.

One morning I had received...

"A letter?"

She left me with no explanation saying she had to leave to Europe with her father.

I knew her father. Her family is wealthy. I didn't understand.

Did I do something wrong?

I sat in the Batcave, looking at the floor. Alfred put his hand on my shoulder and consoled me. "It wasn't meant to be Master Bruce."

Andrea Beaumont.

She was my first love and my first heartbreak.

*End of flashback

I didn't know Andrea's father was in dept to the mafia. I could have helped. Instead they hid all around Europe all these years.

"Are you getting sick again Miss Crown? Did the fever come back?" Alfred asked her concerned holding a plate in his hands.

"Who is that?" I asked Alfred to keep her company in case Bruton's or mine absence.

"Who is who Miss Crown?" Alfred turned following Ro's gaze. The room was full of people and yet I could still hear her as if she is the only one in the room. Something I didn't quite understand. "That is.... good heavens!"

Alfred almost dropped the plate seeing me with Andrea and shouted after her. "Miss Crown?"

My feelings were conflicted. I didn't know what to do.

"She knows me. She understands me. And she's my age." I was pacing back and forth in the living room after the gala dressed up in my regular clothes. "But I hurt her... I never wanted to hurt her... There're two. There were never two. What I'm going to do?"

"I... I've never seen him like this. Is he really talking to himself?" Dick questioned standing at the doorframe.

Alfred replied. "I afraid so Master Richard."

Dick said. "It's better then talking to a wall picture." There is the family portrait in the living room. I do that sometimes.

"Or to a grave Master Richard", Alfred added.

"He really does that?" Dick looked at Alfred and he nodded, confirming.

"He hasn't been doing it for years now... ever since Ms. Beaumont left Master Bruce's life. He was different back then."

"Who is she? Another Catwoman?"

"Even worse Master Richard. Ms. Beaumont was the first one who broke Master Bruce's heart", Alfred replied sadly.

I woke up in the middle of the night, covered in sweat. I had the strangest dream ever. I had a dream of... my father. And he was speaking to me.

"What did he say sir?" Alfred asked in the Batcave.

I couldn't remember the whole sentence. "... let her go... He said let her go. Let whom go?" I questioned.

"It's just a dream Master Bruce. Is Ms. Beaumont returning to your life?"

"I don't know. I have work to do." There's a new threat on the streets. Enough to distract me.

"And Miss Crown? She didn't like seeing you with Ms. Beaumont." Alfred expressed his concern as I hopped in the Batmobile and drove off.

I went on patrol. I tried to gather as much informations as I could. Someone is killing the gangsters. And it's mistaken for me. "You idiot, Batman doesn't kill people."

I was there only for the evidence when I overheard the conversation between two thugs hiding at the dock. "We better run. We could be next."

I returned to the Batcave with the informations to type into the Batcomputer. I fell asleep in my chair, dressed up in my regular clothes, and had the same dream as last night. This time it was more vivid.

Alfred came downstairs with the breakfast. "Master Bruce did you have a bad dream?"

I opened my eyes wide awake, jumped out of the chair and informed in a hurry. "I need to talk to my parents."

"Where are you going Master Bruce?" Alfred's voice full of worry.

I drove to the Gotham's Cemetery. It was pouring as that day. I stood in front of my parents grave, desperate for answers. "The dream. I don't understand. To let whom go? Please... give me a sign..."

I hugged their grave. "I didn't count on second chances for happiness. And there's... Emma's daughter." The rain stopped the moment I mentioned her. A trail of light appeared in the cloudy sky. I returned to the manor.

"Miss Crown, your eyes are all red...", Alfred warned in the morning. "You shouldn't be going upstairs... Master Bruce─"

But I wasn't alone when she entered. I was standing on the balcony with Andrea by my side. She was wearing my shirt on. I haven't turn. I was fighting with myself.

"You promised..." At the crack in her voice, I grabbed the railing tightly until my hand was sore, it bled.

"WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!" Batgirl yelled in front of me later that day in the Batcave. I stared at floor thinking about this couple of days.

"Miss Gordon you're scaring the bats", Alfred politely asked her to stop.

"At least they hear me. She is in pretty bad shape. And it's because of YOU! First Catwoman and now... Yeah she tells me Bruce..."

"Ms. Beaumont was Master Bruce's first love", Alfred explained and it calmed her a bit.

"I get it Bruce. I do", Batgirl calmed. "At first, I wasn't sure."

"Ms. Gordon?"

"She didn't tell me much Bruce. She said she's seeing with someone but not really seeing, you know family thing, you understand right? Then she mention you and then paps and Dick..."

"She loves you, Bruce. You don't see someone breaking over a guy like that."

"And I know you love her too. What I don't understand is what are you doing with the redhead?" I put the cowl on.

"Ms. Beaumont", Alfred corrected. Batgirl didn't care.

"And what the hell happened to your hand?" I looked down. My wound started to bleed again through the bandage.

"I don't know how can you stay calm after all the damage you caused. You need to make up your mind or you are going to lose her, us too. She's family Bruce. You don't play with family!"

With that said, Batgirl was gone. "Miss Gordon is right sir. You hurt Young Miss's feelings."

You don't think I don't know that?

Alfred followed me to the Batmobile and expressed his concern. "You're not feeling well Master Bruce."

"I'm fine."

"You're not fine. You don't sleep or eat. You are constantly over the edge Master Bruce and you're worried. I don't think Ms. Beaumont should be in the manor. She's causing chaos in your life as at the beginning. She brings the worst in you unlike─"

"No", I cut him off strongly.

"You'll hear me out sir. What Miss Crown has done for you in short time not any woman succeed in years. You started to be healthier sir. You fell in love."

"I'm not in love with her", I refused sharply.

"It's not what you were thinking until recently. And looking down at your hand Master Bruce. By causing her pain, you caused it to yourself." I looked down at my hand. Alfred was right.

"She's just a girl Alfred. Not a woman", I argued, half turned.

Alfred sighed. "You don't need a woman to understand you, Master Bruce. And she understands you without words. Ms. Beaumont might be wiser and more attractive to you but she doesn't have your heart. She doesn't feel the same way you do unlike Miss Crown. She has the same heart as you do Master Bruce."

"I have to take care of her and about Andrea I don't", I complained.

"You would be lying to yourself if you're thinking you are not liking it to feel wanted, needed sir. You're looking for excuses because you're terrified of how much she means to you."

"She loves you so much Master Bruce as no one ever loved you. It's in her eyes sir. You have to be a fool not to see it. "

"Am I a fool Alfred?" Cause I don't see it.

"Listen to your heart instead of your mind Master Bruce", Alfred advised. I took a second to think about Alfred's words. "Am I going to lose you too Alfred?"

"No, sir. Because I already know who is in your heart even if you don't Master Bruce."

I hopped in the Batmobile. "You can't leave Master Bruce. Your hand!" Alfred shouted but I didn't care. I just didn't care.

"You're leaving a blood trace behind you", Leslie stated later at her clinic. I actually came to talk to her after patrol. She's like a mother to me. "Let me take care of your hand."

I glanced around the floor and she was right. "You're the second patient I took care of this night. She was just her."

"She?" I questioned but I already knew. I had a bad feeling ever since she ran out of my room.

"Emma's daughter", Leslie confirmed.

"What do you mean?" I asked. I started to worry.

Leslie took care of my hand and finished. "How this happened? Did you go against a brick or two?"

More like cement.

"She came to talk. Something made her very upset. I tried but she didn't open up at me. She has no one to talk to, someone who understands her."

"And her eyes are red of crying Bruce and I think the fever is coming back and she's at street. Alone", Leslie expressed her concern.

"Bruce?" Leslie's shouted after me.

I found her in the park. She took a break before returning home. "You shouldn't be here."

She was sitting on a swing, staring at the ground. She could be robbed, kidnapped or even worse, raped. "Why are you upset?"

"I'm not." She almost smiled at my lie. The tension I felt turned into worry the moment I saw the tear falling out her eye and hitting the ground.

"I took your advice. It ended before it started." She catched the next tear with her hand and wiped it away. "I need to get home. I think the fever is coming back."

She stood up from the swing. I stepped closer to her as she lifted her head up and saw her red eyes. My eyes widened. I didn't know... Alfred was right. "He's a fool."

"Thank you, Batman." She gave me a small smile and hugged me unexpectedly.

I hugged her in comfort and confessed softly. "Ro I'm..." The next second she fainted in my arms. I took off the glove and touched her forehead with my other hand. She was burning. Lesli was right. She was getting sick again.

I carried her in my arms to the Batmobile. I drove her home and placed her down on the bed.

"Bruce", she mumbled in her sleep. My eyes widened at the mention of name.

"I'm here Ro." I bumped into the drawer next to her bed, making noise.

"Miss Crown?" One of the maids was in the hallway and opened the door of her room as I jumped off the balcony unsure if the maid saw me or not.

The next night I was on the street gathering more information about new vigilante assassin. I didn't find much. Only a name. The Mask of Phantasm. A tall figure with metal, skull-like mask and hooded costume.

I was out heading home when I heard the explosion. I stopped. Alfred informed me through the comms. "Master Bruce..."

"I heard. I'm going there now."

Alfred's voice was full of sadness and worry. I didn't understand until he explained. "It was Miss Crown's plane."

I turned on the Batmobile, driving the full speed. I drove as fast as I could.

I moved the metal bars one by one trying to find her. She was buried somewhere underneath.

I found her covered up in bruises and dirt. I picked her off the ground and carried her in my arms. She was still breathing as I drove her to the hospital.

I entered through the window and walked up to her bed. She was unconscious.

I overheard doctors talking about her condition and read her medical file. A broken rib. She'll recover.

I took off my glove and took her hand in mine, saying softly. "Do you remember what you said to me the first day I saw you?"

"You're the right people Ro. You are." She squeezed my hand as if she heard me, as if she knew I was there.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 5K 16
Moving back to Gotham, your childhood city, to take over your parent's business you meet the famous bachelor of the city. Unaware of his secret iden...
3.3K 152 16
IN WHICH: - ASTRA was born to be a hero and it won't take much convincing for the justice league to look past her playful remarks to realize tha...
56.4K 1.6K 49
Love. A word so simple yet so complex. For Bruce, it meant family. Family that he lost and the family he created. But love can be harsh, especially i...
956K 25.7K 32
MoS | BvS 1st place in the 2017 DC Watty Award! From a very young age, trouble has always seemed to follow Rose Montgomery. When she finally moves to...