The Blinding

By itsjusthayat

In ancient Macrobia, where magic once intertwined with existence, a hidden prophecy shapes the destiny of a y... More

Prologue - Yanile
Chapter 1 - Tissa
Chapter 2 - Samakaab
Chapter 3 - Tissa
Chapter 4 - Loyaan
Chapter 5 - Tissa
Chapter 6 - Samakaab
Chapter 7 - Tissa
Chapter 8 - Loyaan
Chapter 9 - Tissa
Chapter 10 - Loyaan
Chapter 11 - Tissa
Chapter 12 - Samakaab
Chapter 13 - Tissa
Chapter 14 - Samakaab
Chapter 15 - Loyaan

Chapter 16 - Tissa

4 0 0
By itsjusthayat

Playing cards was not one of my strong suits. Hours of competition with Hani had taught me that. Despite my losing streak, last night was one of the funnest I've had in a while. And my fun nights had been far and few between. We were only interrupted once by a tall, and honestly quite handsome stranger. We would've asked him to join us, but Hani seemed hesitant. It was comforting, though, to have at least one friend outside of the castle. It made my stay here much smoother than I'd expected it to be thus far.

I exhaled and stretched, opening my eyes to the sun shining through the window. There was no time to think about last night or the handsome stranger, however. Today, I would work on finding Idil, and hopefully learning something, anything, about my father and his whereabouts.

Where to start, I thought. So far, Hani was the only person I'd met here. Realizing I had no other options, I found myself at the reception desk yet again. "Good Morning!" Hani said brightly. We'd developed a friendly rapport, especially after last night. "You're here early," I said. "Do you live in the building?"
"I do," she replied. "We have so little visitors the owner allows me to stay in a room in the back." I nodded. Though I wanted to ask where her family was, she hadn't pressed me and I wanted to offer her the same courtesy. "Cook is back," she said, waving towards the kitchen hidden behind the reception area. I wondered if she heard my stomach growling again, but ignored the thought. "What's for breakfast?" I asked excitedly.

A little later, we were seated in the living area again. The cook, who I learned was a small middle aged man that only went by the name Cook, had prepared a small feast of laxoox, suqaar and a fruit spread of watermelon and soursop. A whole pot of qahwa steamed next to the meal. My eyes widened as each dish was brought in. I'd never had access to that much food in my life. Back at the castle, feasts were reserved for everyone but the servants. Unfortunately though, since cook was here, I had to pay, and my decreasing funds reminded me of the urgency of my situation. Later, I thought, it was time to eat.

As I reached over to grab one of the chipped plates that Cook had brought in, the handsome stranger entered. He looked very serious, I thought. All broad shoulders and stern stares. He appeared determined, like he had business to attend to. A green, brown and blue macawiis he wore to his ankles swished as he walked. He'd paired it with a white cloth that was tied over his right shoulder. Just then his eyes met mine and I turned away quickly, fearing he'd caught me leering. I saw him walk towards us from the corner of my eye. "Is this breakfast?" he asked.

"It is," Hani replied. "That will be one silver coin." He reached into a pocket sewn into his macawiis and paid Hani. He sat down next to me and I started to feel uncomfortable in his presence, grateful that Hani was around, hoping she would break the bizarre tension. Before Hani could sit back down however, another guest walked in and Hani stood to help him. We were alone now. He grabbed a plate and began to fill it. Remembering my hunger, I did the same. The awkward silence was increasing my discomfort. Rather than sit in it, I decided small talk might be a better option. "What's your name?" I asked, making my voice slightly more cheerful.

He looked me up and down as if he'd just remembered my existence. I shifted under his gaze, waiting for him to answer, not letting the smile I'd plastered on my face falter.

 "Samakaab," he answered in between chews. My head bobbed slowly as I wondered if he would be polite enough to return my question. Finally, he grunted, "Yours?"

"Tissa," I said. He made no inclination that he heard me and went back to his food. What was taking Hani so long, I wondered. He didn't seem to be up for conversation and I turned back to my food, try my best to not devour it all in front of him. Hani returned at last, and with that Samakaab, got up, his meal finished, mumbling "nice to meet you," before turning his back on us. Not very friendly, I thought. But I was grateful to be alone with Hani.

I started to ask her about finding Idil. "I'm wondering if you would be able to help me find someone." I began. She looked at me over the cup of qahwa she'd started drinking.

"Really, who?" she asked blowing on the drink to cool. "I met a woman a few weeks ago on Legacy Day. She had magic and she used it to display our legacy story. Her name was Idil."

"Hmm," said Hani thoughtfully. "Don't think I know her, but she shouldn't be too difficult to find. Not much people with magic, even in the slums. I'm sure if you ask around the market you'd get some information."
I nodded, realizing there wasn't much left to say. I'd go to the market later and see what I could find. But her words left me with a curiosity. Just how many people had magic?

"Do you know anyone with magic then?" I asked careful not to look too interested. Hani might be a friend, but I'd be foolish to share everything with someone I'd just met.

"No. But I've seen it. Nothing real, obviously. No one has seen any real magic in centuries. I sometimes wonder if it even exists." She trails off like she's thinking of something. Maybe a memory of magic. I get lost in my thoughts as well. Just how many years has this been going on if no one has seen magic in centuries?

Both lost in our minds, we finish our meal in virtual silence. Eventually, Hani excuses herself, returning to her work as she clears the table. I offer to help and though she refuses at first I insist. When the chore is done, I return to my room left to my own devices. I empty out the contents of my small purse on to the nightstand. Only a few coins. Whatever I accomplished today, finding a job had to be a priority.

The market was bustling today, as it probably was everyday. I walked along the row of merchants, and kept my head down. I had no money to spend on frivolous things. My only focus should be finding Idil. I worked my way down each hut, stopping at random. I regretted the one I chose, a sweet vendor. Despite my earlier feast, I looked greedily at the row of delights placed on the table. Behind it stood a gentleman with a cheerful grin on his face. "Welcome in, young lady!" He said beaming. "What would you like?" I took one last longing look at the desserts before tearing my gaze away. "I'm sorry," I apologized. "But i'm not here to make a purchase."

"Oh," he replied the smile fading quickly along with his cheerful demeanor. "What do you want, then?"

I almost laughed at his sudden change of tone, before realizing he probably had yet to make a sale that day. Judging by how full the table was.

 "Where can I find magic?" I asked him, not sure if those were quiet the right words I was looking for. His raised eyebrows told me they weren't.

"I mean, where can I find the vendors that do magic tricks?" I said swiftly correcting myself.

This time he seemed to understand.

"They'll be at the back corner of the market. Though why you would want to spend your money on something so useless is beyond me," he said with annoyance.

"Thank you," I mumbled and he grunted in response.

They weren't too hard to find, the tents looked just like Idil's at Legacy Day. All of them even more worse for the wear than the others. Which was no small feat, considering all the tents didn't look too great.

I poked my head in to a couple. In one tent I found myself face to face with a snoring older women, who, no matter how many times I tried to wake her by saying "hello" in varying magnitudes.

Already feeling disheartened, I dragged my feet to yet another hut. This time luckily, the person before me was at least conscious. Though, she still was not Idil.

"Hello," I began, choosing to ask her rather than continue looking.

"Hi there," the woman replied, with her back to me. "How can I help you?" She turned and her face was round with equally round amber eyes, and a warm, welcoming smile. As she turned I realized she was pregnant, and her hands rested soothingly on her belly.

"I'm looking for Idil. Do you know where I can find her?"

"You've come to the right place." she said simply.

My heart skipped. Finally, I thought.

"Is she here?" I asked expectantly craning my neck to look behind her. 

"She's not but I can go fetch her. If you don't mind waiting a few minutes."

"Please." I replied, stopping myself from bouncing around in my shoes with anticipation.

"My name is Beydan by the way, Idil is my mother," she reached out a hand and I took it. She gave it a quick shake before excusing herself.

As Beydan left, I took the time to examine the space, empty except for a few gambadhs and what looked like small wooden playthings I often saw toddlers of the palace play with. She must have more children, I thought. And I wondered where they were. Was Idil watching them, or their father? My experience with family was so limited that I wasn't quite sure. Especially here in the slums where families were fragmented, so many fighting in protests and riots, others seeming barely alive amongst the poverty. I wondered how things must have been when we did have magic? Did we live like the others in society? In homes full of happy families.

My daydreams were cut short as Beydan returned this time carrying a small child on her back tied securely with a red and white garbasar, and yet another child, a toddler, clinging to her right hand. Idil walked in behind her, looking the same as she had on Legacy Day. As she entered her eyes shown with recognition.
"Sorry for the extra guests, but mother had been watching them for me," she said apologetically gesturing towards her children.

"No worries," I said softly scrunching my nose playfully at the little girl who hid behind her mothers skirts. She appeared shy though she reached a hand out to wave at my direction.

"Go play darling, go on," her mother encouraged her sweetly. Hesitantly, she walked to the toys keeping her eye on me, as though I might jump out at her. I let out a quiet giggle.

"It appears you've found me." said Idil letting out a groan as she took a seat. "Forgive me, my knees are not what they used to be. So what brings you to the slums?" she asked.

"Well.." My words hang in the air as I think about what to say. My eyes dart between Idil and her daughter. "Was it safe?"

Not missing my uncertainty, "You can trust us here, child. Speak up."

"You did say if I needed anything I could find you here."

"I did," she nodded, "now what exactly is it that you need?"

One might think that I would have thought of that before going out in search of this woman. But even I didn't have an answer. I doubted she would have know my father. Though I wasn't quite sure what she would do for me, she was the only person I had known before coming here. The only person who might be able to provide some semblance of a solution to my many problems.

"I know you don't know me, outside of that one meeting on Legacy Day, but your words stuck with me, as did your stories." She nodded expectanlty, and while Beydan played with her children in the corner, it was easy to see that she was waiting as well.

I took a deep breath, and upon exhaling I let out my story as well. My name, where I came from, and why I'd traveled to the slums in the first place. The words came easily, like they'd been trapped inside of me and were waiting for my mouth to release them. When I was done my body sagged in relief. I was glad to have gotten my secrets off my chest. Beydan had forgotten to pretend to be preoccupied, and she gaped at me while her children continued to play next to her. Idil was speechless as well, the only indication that she had heard were her eyes, wide from shock.

"Well my dear, that is a quite a story," Idil replied with a sigh. "Now I understand why you were so confused that day. It is clear you do not know much of our history. But to be honest not many do. I am afraid there is not much I can do in the search for your father, but if it is okay with you I may be able to conduct inquiries with a few trusted sources.

"Please," I said again. After expelling all of that information there was not much left for me to say.

"As much as I wish I could provide you with a place to stay, I cannot help you there either."

I tried not to hide my disappointment. With the little money I had, I was not sure I could continue to stay at the Banadir long term.

"But there is something I can help you with."

"Anything."

"I assume you are in need of a job?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150 12 7
When Ayah Davan was assigned by the University of Kizdir to experiment on one of the most expensive minerals in the world - casibe, she didn't expect...
17 6 29
Siobhan still dreams of becoming the world's most powerful sorcerer. But she has once again been forced to face the horrifyingly dark side of their w...
398 40 23
Ivelle Preston had a perfectly normal life. She grew up in small English town, and she always wished she had a more adventurous life. Her wish came t...
1.4K 156 27
In a blinding flash of light, five strangers are yanked from this world and thrust into a land of sorcery as they are granted the looks and abilities...