Let Me In ✔️ | ENG

By Sarae-Seong

In a need of a break from her demanding job, Carmina seeks refuge in a hidden gem of Italy - Amalfi Coast. Bu... More

Author's Note
〉 Let Me In 〈
〉 Let Me Read You 〈
〉 Let Me Fix It 〈
〉 Let Them Talk 〈
〉 Let Me Know 〈
〉 Let Me Confess 〈
〉 Let Us Dream 〈
〉 Let It Last 〈
〉 Let It Go 〈
〉 Let Me Mourn 〈

〉 Let Me Try 〈

40 4 39
By Sarae-Seong

The moment of hesitation was enough to dampen the swiftly spreading fire between them. Though Dae couldn't hide his disappointment, he chose not to press any further. Everything felt new, even to him, so perhaps it was better to ease off before they rushed again. Carmina ran out of the cabin, giggling, and Dae pursued her like a fox chasing its elusive prey. Yet today, Carmina was the cunning fox. Wrapped in a plush, cozy blanket, her striking carrot-colored hair shimmered under the catamaran's lamps, cascading softly over her shoulders. She sat on one of the deck sofas and gazed at the stars with childlike wonder. In that moment, she was everything he craved-a spark reigniting his extinguished soul.

As if enchanted, Dae gazed at his companion. Carmina patted the spot next to her and sent him one of her prettiest smiles. "Will you sit with me here for a while?" Her sleepy voice sounded so sweet to Dae that he almost cooed, feeling the urge to grab her and squeeze her in a burst of happiness. But he had to control himself; after all, he was a mature man.

"Aren't you sleepy?" he asked, settling down beside her. Carmina shook her head and wrapped him in half of the blanket.

"Oh?" he let out, and she laughed softly. "Sharing is caring, Dae."

"So you DO care, huh?"

Exactly. Does she care? It's such a simple question, yet suddenly it became apparent that she herself had caught feelings beyond what she expected, certainly much more than she could admit to him. "Would you like me to answer that with a yes?"
What sort of question is that, anyway?! - she scolded herself silently. But Dae gave it considerable thought nonetheless. .

"I'd like to. You've brought a breath of fresh air into my life, like a sea breeze. Unexpectedly. And I..." He lightly bit his lip, considering whether he should let these words escape. But what did he have to lose? They only had seven days left together, seven days until the end of their stay. And then what? "And I... I thought I wasn't allowed to feel this way, that I wasn't meant to peacefully enjoy life like this. Maybe it's silly, maybe it sounds absurd, but back home in Korea, every day is packed with action, people, work, fans, meetings. I come home and... I'm sorry, I won't burden you with this."

"Dae..." Carmina intertwined her hand with his. "You told me yourself at the helm that it's just an open sea. What could possibly be more important than this moment? Tell me more. About yourself, about your country, about your culture."

"For a fleeting moment, Dae wavered. Expressing his thoughts wasn't going to be easy. Yet, perhaps Carmina had a point. Maybe it was time to toss his burdens overboard.

"When I return home, there are only two bleak options awaiting me. Either I'm drained to the point of collapsing into bed, unconscious before my head hits the pillow, or I'm faced with empty walls, clueless about how to occupy myself. I open the door, only to be greeted by silence. No one is waiting for me. In those moments, one can only question the purpose of it all, wondering if any of our efforts truly matter."

The atmosphere grew heavy. His confession, though sincere, felt like an anchor, rooting him in place. Carmina understood this better than anyone else. She wanted to tell him, to reassure him immediately that he wasn't alone in this, but she couldn't. It would require revealing everything. And perhaps she was a hypocrite, asking him to share his part while she hid her own. But was hers equal to his? Carmina had her target on her back; she couldn't add anyone to that list. Certainly not him. So she simply hugged him, saying nothing. And despite thinking it wouldn't be enough, it worked on him like a remedy. Sometimes, even silence can be soothing.

***

The morning brought a surprise for Carmina. Instead of the serene silence of the ocean, she was welcomed by the cheerful chatter of people and the soothing calls of seagulls. The air was filled with the scent of fresh seafood. Realizing they must have docked, she wasted no time; swiftly preparing herself, she hurried to find Dae. It didn't take long to locate him; he was waiting for her on the upper deck with freshly brewed coffee.

"We're back at the resort?" Carmina asked, with a hint of confusion.

But Dae grinned mischievously. "Nope. This isn't the Amalfi Coast. I figured we deserved an extra day of luxury."

She settled in, reaching eagerly for her coffee. "Ah, the nectar of the gods. Nothing quite like it, especially in this setting. Where are we?" she asked, scanning their surroundings with curiosity.

"We've landed in Ischia. I thought we'd spice things up a bit. Don't worry, it's just a stone's throw from our resort, about 30 miles away. We'll be back by tonight. Hope you're cool with that?"

"You've got to be kidding! I'm ecstatic you whisked us away here. Can we go for some breakfast on land?"

"Aw, you're adorable when you're hungry," Dae teased, giving her nose a playful flick, to which she responded with an exaggerated recoil.

"If you don't want to witness the wrath of a hangry Carmina, we'd better find some food, pronto."

"Il tuo desiderio è un comando," he murmured, amused.

"What does this mean?"

"Check it yourself," was all he answered, helping her out of the catamaran.

***

"Sfogliatella e babà. Twice, please," Dae said, watching Carmina's shocked expression as if she had just seen a ghost. He simply chuckled as the waiter departed with their order. "Hm? I double-checked everything before you even woke up. I wanted to impress," he winked, earning only a shake of her head in response.

"Well, you certainly did. So, what did you order for us?"

"A shell-shaped pastry filled with ricotta cheese and candied fruit & a small, sweet yeast cake soaked in rum syrup."

"Sounds like a sugar overload." Seeing his slight pout, she quickly added, "But hey, it's probably going to taste amazing. What's your usual breakfast in Korea?"

Dae hesitated for a moment, lost in thought. "Actually, when it comes to breakfast preferences, it's not much different from what I choose here. I have a sweet tooth. Have you ever tried hotteok?"

Carmina shook her head. "Is it like a sweet pancake filled with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped nuts? I'm sure you would love it!"

"I have to try it! I've heard that food in Korea is rather spicy. But I haven't seen you eating anything spicy here."

He laughed. "I like to try local cuisine, that's why I'm not searching here for anything that I can find at home. But trust me, back in Korea, I devour all types of spicy food like a dragon. I enjoy gopchang, maekjeok, bokkeum..." he began listing one by one. "Do you know any?"

"Nah, I know only some... famous ones. You know, Kimchi jjigae, tteokbokki, bibimbap."

He listened with amusement; all the words in Korean sounded adorable when she tried to pronounce them properly.

"And you? What do you usually eat in the States?"

Carmina's mind drifted back to the chaotic scene of departure: scattered cereal, spilled milk, and a fridge packed with unhealthy snacks. She definitely shouldn't have exposed herself like that in front of him, but let's face it, her recent lifestyle didn't exactly scream 'culinary master.'

"For breakfast? Oh, just the usual. Pancakes, cereal drowning in milk, and a sad attempt at healthy style with some cheese and fruit platter."

"You're not exactly selling it," he chuckled, watching her scramble to come up with something.

"Fine, I'd love to eat that, but what I actually end up having... Well, that's a different story."

Both amused, talked for a while longer until their breakfast arrived, at which point they both dove in without another word. Ah, the power of hunger!

***

That day was just perfect, like it was plucked straight out of the pages of a fairytale. They wandered through the vibrant streets of Italy, where people greeted them with smiles and urged them to taste the fresh fruits available at the local market. Politeness and joy filled the air, infusing the island with life. The scent of flowers mingled with the aroma of ripe citrus, creating an intoxicating blend.

Despite walking together, arm in arm, each of them seemed lost in their own thoughts, immersed in their own world.

Daehyun basked in freedom like never before. Walking the streets without a mask, without any bodyguard, it was truly exhilarating. As a famous actor, he was used to constantly being recognized and mobbed by fans. But here, in this unfamiliar place, he was just another face in the crowd, and he couldn't have been happier about it. With each step, the weight of fame was lifting off his shoulders. He could walk at his own pace, stop to admire the sights, and even strike up conversations with locals without drawing any attention. It was a rare opportunity for him to be himself, away from the spotlight and the demands of his career. It was exactly what he needed to recharge his batteries and rediscover his love for life.

Carmina walked with a soft smile gracing her lips. There was no rush, no one urging her on, and nothing demanding her attention. She observed the local residents, purchased local products, sniffed flowers like a little girl, and tried to etch the breathtaking views into her memory forever. Being that far from home simply felt right to her. As someone accustomed to a fast-paced and high-pressure lifestyle, Carmina cherished these tranquil moments. Here, away from the chaos and stress of her usual routine, she could finally breathe freely. She felt like a new person - carefree, unburdened, and alive. And for a moment, it seemed like danger kept its distance from her.

Feeling their hands brushing against each other, Dae seized the chance to entwine their fingers. Carmina didn't object, so he pulled her closer, wrapping his arm around her waist. Today, even if it were just this once, they truly looked like a married couple, cuddling up, walking, laughing, and sharing fruits. Like two lovers, as if the world around them ceased to exist.

"The blissful idyll was interrupted by the sound of an incoming call. Dae checked who was calling, then glanced apologetically at Carmina.

"I need to take this, will you give me a moment?"

As Dae took a few steps away, Carmina was drawn to the vibrant array of souvenirs. The variety was so enticing that she felt compelled to buy each piece. From delicate shells and their crafted jewelry to island-themed figurines, stacks of magnets, ceramics, paintings, stuffed animals, and exquisite wind chimes made from white shells, the selection was simply mesmerizing. Unable to resist, Carmina chose chimes for herself and for Dae, made her purchases almost immediately, and hurried back to him to share her treasures. She caught snippets of Korean conversation, but she couldn't understand a word.

"Is that the girl? Don't try to deceive me, I recognize her from the magazines!"

"Mom, please don't talk nonsense, you can't recognize anyone from those photos. Where did you get that idea?"

"Daehyun, do you think I'm stupid? Maybe I haven't seen her face, but her carrot-colored hair is hard to miss. Call her over here, show me my daughter-in-law."

"Mom, what daughter-in-law?! I told you, it's just some misunderstanding."

"Bullshit! Korea is buzzing with gossip! Aunt Ayeong has been over with her friends four times already, and every time she's been nagging us about how you didn't even bother to invite them to the wedding."

"Mom, for the last time, let me explain that she's not my wife. I'll explain everything when I get back." Dae's slightly irritated tone hinted to Carmina that it might be better to step away for a bit.

"Daehyun, let's get one thing straight. You've been caught up in some juicy gossip. You yourself said she's your wife, and now footage from your hotel has gone viral across the country. If she's not your wife, then make her your wife. Simple as that. Either way, don't even think about showing up here without her."

"Mom, but I..."

But there was no reasoning with her now. She had said her piece and hung up abruptly. Dae looked at Carmina, their eyes meeting briefly. He didn't even know where to begin. Oh, if only she knew how stubborn his parents could be. Time was ticking, and upon his return, he'd have a lot of explaining to do. After all, things were getting crazier by the minute.

***

The return to the resort was tough, not only due to the sudden evening wind at sea. Those two days together, away from everyone, had been beautiful, and they both found it hard to return to the usual constraints. When they stood before their suites, they were at a loss for words. This time, however, Carmina came to the rescue.

"Can we watch more episodes of the shows you've been in?" she suddenly asked, leaving Dae momentarily stunned. But he quickly regained his composure.

"You just want to drag me into your suite, don't you?" he quipped, turning it into a joke.

"And what if I do?" she teased back, not taking her eyes off him.

The invitation was clear, and Daehyun wasted no time. He pressed Carmina firmly against the door, her back hitting them with the thud. Without a word, he caught her lips in a fiery kiss, sending shivers through her body. When Carmina's hands roamed shamelessly over his chest, he took the keycard from her, and opened the door without breaking their embrace.

In a swift movement, Dae pushed her into the suite and shut the door behind them. Carmina pulled at his shirt, drawing him closer. Their kiss deepened and slowly they lost themselves in each other.

Unconcerned with the luggage scattered around them, Dae effortlessly lifted Carmina into his arms, her legs wrapping around him. She melted into him, her fingers threading through his hair. In that moment, the fire they tried to calm, consumed them entirely.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" he asked, his gaze slightly hazy as he looked into her eyes.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I know what I want."

***

The morning belonged to the pleasant kind. Dae woke up with a sweet weight upon him. Carmina was sleeping soundly on his chest, her lips slightly parted, her hair a tousled mess. She looked like a woodland nymph, someone he felt compelled to protect from the world. He even paid attention to his breathing, just to avoid waking her up, taking this moment to bask in her beauty.

Maybe his mother was right? Perhaps he should do something about it. After all, everything had taken an unexpected turn. Maybe publicly declaring Carmina as his wife wasn't the best move, and maybe they knew each other for a short time, but it had to mean something to her. After all, that night was wonderful. And it didn't seem like only he enjoyed it. And what if...

"Good morning," her sweet voice snapped him out of his thoughts. His breath quickened, his heart beat dangerously hard. But she couldn't read his mind. So why was he suddenly so stressed out?

"Good morning, little fox," he murmured, trying to shake off whatever was invading his thoughts.

"Is something wrong? You look worried."

Her beautiful eyes met his. With a gentle smile, tousled locks framing her face, and her hand softly caressing his cheek, there was no hint of regret or awkwardness for what had happened between them. It was surreal, almost too good to be true. Before he could collect his thoughts, Carmina rose gracefully and kissed him tenderly.

No, he couldn't have imagined this. It felt like a dream.

"Carmina, about... us... Can we be more than just this?"

The question caught her off guard. She widened her eyes, trying to process what he meant.

"What... what are you saying?" she asked, although his question was clear.

"You know, Carmina. You know I'm serious about this. As I've mentioned before, in my culture, words carry weight. Since we've already established the 'married' label, maybe we could truly make it a reality?"

Carmina blinked several times, as if trying to process the suddenness of Dae's proposal and wishing it could be undone, along with his questioning gaze.

"Don't joke around. We've only known each other for a few days. What are you implying?"

"No, wait, that's not what I meant. I'm not suggesting we rush into anything. Don't take me for a fool. I... I just want us to... to formalize what's between us. I want you to take me seriously. Come visit me after your vacation, sometime later. Get to know me, my life. I'll come to you too. Let's take the time to get to know each other better."

Carmina was hit with a wave of realization. She broke out in a cold sweat. It dawned on her that she had allowed herself to become too caught up in happiness, forgetting the necessity of caution in the world she inhabited. Now, as her emotions settled, everything became clear. She couldn't afford to be free and in love. She couldn't risk putting Dae in harm's way. He already faced enough challenges in his high-profile life without her adding to them. And she... she couldn't bear the thought of anyone being used to reach her. Until now, she hadn't wanted to acknowledge it, but Dae had become her vulnerability. Her weak spot.

As if in a trance, Carmina stood up from the bed without a word. She dressed in silence, brewed herself a cup of coffee, and headed to the terrace without a sound. Pausing briefly at the threshold, she turned to Dae.

"Stop. I think it's best to end things before we get too attached. Right here, right now."

Leaving him in shock, she simply walked out onto the terrace and sipped her coffee as if nothing had happened. Though invisible to the eye, her heart shattered into pieces, tears mingling with her morning brew. But she couldn't afford even a moment of weakness. Someone had just taken her picture. And it wasn't the paparazzi.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.9K 2.7K 62
Until a year ago, Kacey's life had always been easy. But when it rains, it pours, and he loses what always seemed a given. A year and a half later, h...
943K 27.9K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...
99.4K 4.4K 34
Everyone knew Lorraine was perfect. She had the perfect plans, the perfect boyfriend, and the perfect aspirations. That is until one day, her plans c...
7.6K 498 28
A parallel to "Way Back Home". Arjun Singh. A broken boy turned villain, and trapped in his own web. Sunaina Mehra. An equally broken girl, who spits...