Charming Menace

By karlengeyaar

"Devils roll the dice.. angels roll their eyes..", He hummed to himself sitting back on his seat, toying with... More

prologue
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10.

chapter 5

166 20 50
By karlengeyaar

And I, I never meant to cause you trouble
And I, I never meant to do you wrong
And I, well if I ever caused you trouble
Oh no, I never meant to do you harm

trouble, coldplay

Trouble was about to pull her to the middle of the stage when the moment was ruined by a voice.

"You did not meet the groom or bride, Mr. Zaveri."

Arnav's amused smile melted into annoyance as he finally edged away from Anupamaa.
She drew in a deep breath, trying to calm down her pacing heart.
Arnav turned to face Anuj Kapadia.

"I am here for the food, Kapadia. So, I directly headed to the caterer.", Arnav said forcing a fake smile.
"I thought we were not rivals anymore.", Anuj said pushing his spectacles back.

Arnav's smile widened, amused.

"True that. Because I do not do rivalrys with losers.", He said crossing his arms before himself.
"Loser?", Anuj asked, returning the same, amused energy, "What have I lost? I run one of the biggest event management companies here."

Arnav took a step towards him, almost intimidating him.
Looking straight into his eyes.

"Lost your beautiful ex wife, haven't you?", He asked softly.

He noticed Anuj's smile vanish instantaneously.
This was personal attack.

"Anyways.", Arnav added, "It was not so lovely to meet you."
He turned towards Anupamaa, who had been keenly listening to the two men taking.

"Oh by the way.. Your gift will reach you by evening. My driver will deliver it. For now..", He smiled at Anupamaa, who straightened up,
"Miss Joshi might have to give me a taste of her food."

Seeing the opportunity Anupamaa immediately rushed to the food counter.
The awkwardness she was facing before her ex and a billionaire who seemed oddly obsessed with her was huge.

Anuj clenched his jaws, and inhaled deeply.
"Have a great married life, Kapadia. Hope you don't end up losing this one too.", He said casually.
"You care so much?", Anuj asked.
Arnav turned towards him, his smirk intact.

"I don't give a damn about you, brother.", He said straightening up, "But I am interested your ex wife."

His smile widened.
"I don't need her ex running behind her, pulling her back.", He added with a wink before turning away and striding down to the food counter.

Anupamaa was busily looking into the already arranged food, checking if everything was alright.
Arnav stood right beside her.
She felt his presence, drawing in a deep breath.

"You have my apologies, Ms. Joshi.", He said clearing his throat.
She immediately turned to look at him, wide-eyed.

She looked at him awkwardly.

"I did not mean you embarass you in any way. My intent was to annoy your smug ex who let you cater in his wedding like a sadist.", He said in a matter of factly tone.

Anupamaa gulped.
Why is he so interested in me?

But now that he was bending, she kept her ground.

"You snatched my restaurant and now pretend to care about me. You have my apologies, Mishter Zaveri, but you sound like a hypocrite.", She said coldly, looking away.
Arnav inhaled deeply.

"The restaurant was a favour taken from me by Yashdeep Dhillon, Ms. Joshi. We had a signed contract. If he was unable to pay back the money, he would have to give me the restaurant. I am just doing what has been signed and sealed.", He said plainly.

Anupamaa glanced up at him.

"You could give us some more time. I promise to pay back every penny that is loaned.", She said immediately.

Arnav stared at her.

"It is a huge sum of money. I doubt even your whole year's earning would be enough.", He said.
"You have to give me one chance to prove myself. I promise you, if I fail, you can have the restaurant. But if I do get the money, you will give it back to us.", She said immediately.

Arnav glanced at the man at the counter, ready to serve.

"What is this?", He asked.
"Panner butter masala, sir.", The man answered.
"You made it?", Arnav asked, looking at Anupamaa.
She nodded.

"Fine. Let me taste your food, then we might think about it.", He said.
Anupamaa immediately picked up a plate and spoon from beside the counter.
"I can get the food for you, sir. You can just take a seat.", Anupamaa said, her shoulders feeling a little less burdened as she realised, he might give her a chance.

"You are the cook, Ms. Joshi. Not the waitress. Although there is humility is serving others, this is not the place. If you serve me, you might have to serve others too. Including your ex husband and his fiancee.", He said.

Anupamaa found no words in reply.
He did have a point.

"That is the way of the world. Once you start serving others, everyone expects you to serve them. And if, you fail, or choose not to, you will be villified for it.", He said, taking the plate and spoon from her.

"So, Miss Anupamaa Joshi, you stand back and chill. I will have to leave immediately after I eat due to a meeting, so you can kindly visit my mansion tomorrow morning. I will ask my driver to pick you up from Mr. Dhillon's house.", He added, with a subtle smile.
This was a different one.
This wasn't the amused, or the one full of attitude - this was a genuine smile, from his heart.
Anupamaa felt her heart skip a beat.

The man looked absolutely heartwarming when he smiled.

She nodded as Arnav proceeded to take the food by himself.
Anupamaa stood by the counter, staring at him.

There was something about him, she could not exactly pin point.
He seemed to be different.
He was her tormentor, yet he was also her saviour.
What was his need to serve himself?
Yet, he did not let her because that might lead her to do the same for her ex husband.

Anupamaa looked down, drawing in a deep breath.

Arnav Zaveri was a mystery.

"Oh Ro.. how do I tell you! That woman has magic in her hands! Like I legit ate so much rice and fifteen panner pieces! Can you believe it?! All of my keto diet and stuff is down the Hudson river!", Arnav went on, sitting in his study, the next morning.

He had started from three at night, kept Rohini awake, just to tell how Anupamaa was the world's best chef and deserved her own cooking show and restaurant.

Rohini had given up on him.
She knew he was obsessed with the woman and there was no saving anymore.

"Arnav, it's morning.", She sighed.
"So what?! Look.. Screw Dhillon's deal, I am giving that restaurant to her but keeping it under my name.. which makes me her boss, and gives me the free will to have food cooked by her anytime!", He said, like an excited child.

Rohini looked at him, a little taken aback.
She had never seen her friend this excited in years.
Especially after that incident.
He had only been cold and heartless, a smile here and there, but that's all.

Is this Anupamaa a magician?

The magician in question walked in through the huge metal gates of the Zaveri Mansion.
The building was bathed in white, which glowed in the morning sunlight.
A large fountain stood right before the doorway of the mansion.
Anupamaa walked down to the door.
She could see inside.

The house looked like the huge mansions from Karan Johar films.
It was beautiful, yet the touch of traditionalism remained.
The pillars had a hint of gold, the carpet was Indian handwork.
She removed her slippers and walked in.

She immediately found the scent of incense sticks.
She turned to her right.
The puja room of the Zaveri Mansion stood before her.
There was an idol of Radha-Krishna, made of gold, beautifully decorated.

Almost involuntarily, she joined her hands and shut her eyes in reverence.

"Amme, I need a new garland of flowers!", She heard a woman's voice from right behind her.
She immediately straightened up.

Himanshi Zaveri was busy with her morning puja. Wearing a heavily embroidered saree, and gold jewellery, she looked like the perfect "malkin" of a rich household.
She noticed the unknown girl in a saree.

She walked down to her.

"Who are you, dear?", She asked.
Anupamaa gulped awkwardly.
"Actually, Mishter Zaveri called me..", She said.
Himanshi smiled.
"You are not from here, are you?", She asked, now talking in Hindi.
"No no.. Actually I am from Ahmedabad, Gujrat.", Anupamaa said, feeling slightly better.

"Himanshi, where is my tea?", Uddhav Zaveri walked out, wearing his watch.
He paused looking at his wife talk to a girl.
It took him moments to recognise Anupamaa.

He had seen her on the newspaper headlines just a few moments ago, with his son.

"Has Zaveri Finally Found His Diamond?"

Had been written, in reference to their mega jewellery business.

"I will get the tea in a moment.", Himanshi said, gave Anupamaa a courteous nod, and rushed to the kitchen.
Uddhav walked down to her, lips breaking into a gentle smile.

"You are here to meet my son, I believe.", He said.
Anupamaa nodded.
Uddhav's smile widened.

The girl looked perfect.
Indian, traditional, from Gujrat - he had just heard.
She looked beautiful, young, and from the absence of sindoor or mangalsutra, unmarried too.

Uddhav had never liked Arnav's first wife, Isha.
That had been his son's stubborn love marriage.
Half heartedly, he had agreed.

But now, looking at this girl before him, he seemed to have found the perfect girl for his son.
There was a light that shone through her, undeniable positivity that could transform the darkness in his son to light too.

"Your name?", Uddhav asked softly.

"Anupamaa?", He heard from behind.
Arnav had jogged down on hearing a woman in saree was here.
He gulped nervously looking at his father before her.

Uddhav turned towards him and smiled.

Oh no. This is really bad.
Arnav thought, icyly.

•••

drop in your views!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 5.6K 51
Mafia is Dangerous; Love is Most Dangerous. You never know what your life pushing you into; until it's too late or Beginning. Ares Azriel King The wo...
341K 13.6K 49
It is a love hate story. When two people fall in love but their surrounding is just filled with hate... they do fight with their love but is it enoug...
26.9K 2K 28
🔞𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝟓: 𝐉𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐲 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐅𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐓𝐎 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄🔞 *THIS IS A VERY DARK NOVEL, UNLIKE OTHER BOOKS IN THE OBEROI SERIES, THIS WILL BE THE...
817K 39.4K 52
Book 1- unexpected love series She is kind, heart made of honey. He is reserved,the opposite of sunny. No one would ever think they would be togeth...