The Villainess has Shattered

By Tall-CoffeeGiraffe

All performers wish to leave the stage eventually. Yet the dress rehearsal continues. She sung her lines an... More

Scene 1
Scene 2
Scene 3
Scene 4
Scene 5
Scene 7

Scene 6

29 0 6
By Tall-CoffeeGiraffe

"What rift phenomenon?" Odette questioned Kash, her eyes locking with his as her mind raced. This was an entirely new concept, something she had never encountered before.

This wasn't something she could have missed in her other [Rehearsals], as she had practically done and seen everything. She had explored every route, yet she hadn't encountered anything like a rift phenomenon. And that's the part that truly puzzled her.

'Could this be a result of the performance? It had to be. Could it also be linked to the dream? It must be.'

"Oh, you perked up at those words!" Kash remarked, tilting his head and smirking. He placed his white-gloved hands on his chin, pretending to think deeply.

"I could tell you, but you already rejected my request."

Hearing those words caused ether to slowly trickle out of Odette. She grabbed him by his fur collar as her aura became chaotic.

"Kash, tell me."

"Woah, woah, there! What's with the hostility?" He said this in an effort to defuse her annoyance as he removed her oddly strong grip on his clothing.

"The fluff on my collar is made from the fleece of a golden ram; I don't want it rumpled."

'What is with her strength? And the ether she released felt sharp, if we can call it that. But why does it give me a sense of déjà vu?'

"Just tell me."

"You haven't told me the magic word."

Odette just stared at him in disbelief as Kash waited to hear her speak.

"Seriously. Please tell me," Odette spat out, watching Kash's facial expression morph into a more dejected state.

"I wanted more pushback. You're no fun." Kash pouted. Seeing as I wasn't going to comply, he just sighed and returned to his normal smug expression.

"Fine. But you must do something for me in return."

"Sure whatever. On with the information," Odette ordered as she sat down on one of the theater's velvet seats.

"I sense no one's presence here. Speak."

"Aren't you a little bossy today?" He teased.

"Apparently there is a rift somewhere in the kingdom or, if the information given in Luciel's book is accurate, a gate."

"The Luciels are involved in this. This is new. You're insinuating this has to do with those above," Odette questioned with curiosity and surprise in her voice.

'Those pricks are actually communicating with the other families about their book...'

"Correct," Kash answered. "Their celestial book, along with your family's research, helped ascertain the meaning of this tear in space. It's merely a type of gate or portal that connects our world to another."

These words immediately gained Odette's attention.

'Another world? Is that possible? If this rift does exist, then... I can leave. I can leave this place.'

"Where is it? The rift. Where is it?" Odette immediately pressed for answers; her pupils widened, and her unblinking gaze made her look slightly mad.

"Hey! I don't know, so there's no point pressing me for this information," Kash explained as he watched Odette get up from her seat and walk towards him.

Stopping in her tracks, she began to think over this information.

"Actually, Kash, why do you know this information? This seems like highly important stuff, and I doubt you'd make this up to mess with me."

Upon hearing this, Kash just smiled gently.

"You are right; this is important information."

"I can tell since you have silently placed a sound-proof barrier around us since we started speaking," Odette pointed out.

"But that leaves room for more questions. Why are you telling me, and why would the matriarch tell you this?"

This left Kash actually silent for a while; he was actually wondering himself why he told her. Truthfully, he had no reason to, but some odd feeling he got from her persisted.

"I'm telling you because you are of house Sopher, plus this information is something that can get you an audience with that father of yours," he said as an excuse.

Seeing Odette give him a look as if she were analyzing him, she then made an odd expression.

"That seems both in and out of character for you, so I guess it makes sense," Odette replied, saying that she obviously didn't believe that; however, false sincerity was a trait of his, so she 'believed' it as well.

"What about you knowing any of this?"

To that, Kash just gave a smug look.

"Well, I am the matriarch's favorite and heir; wouldn't it be natural, I know?"

——

Odette soon left after that. There wasn't much to discuss with Kash, and moreover, she didn't want to be in his presence more than she needed.

Her thoughts revolved around these enigmatic rifts. Her speculation led her to conclude that it was the result of this change in the world. The shift from [Rehearsal] to [Performance] could quite possibly be intertwined with her recent dream.

'The man I saw, his clothes were unorthodox. Could he be from another world?

Multiple thoughts raced through her mind, but the one concerning her the most was how to find this place and what she would actually do.

Odette strolled through the school's grand halls until she arrived at her destination. Pushing open the large birch doors, the scent of ink and paper enveloped her senses.

The room was a sanctuary of knowledge, with shelves stretching skyward like a spiralling tower. Peers her age or slightly older engaged in various scholarly pursuits, their discussions accompanied by the aroma of brewing tea.

To even Odette, this was a truly remarkable site, yet it still didn't evoke any light in her eyes, nor could it shine any. They remained dark, like coal.

She headed up the stairs and perused several shelves.

'What do I want? History, religion, magic—is there a book I haven't read here?' She silently mused, her mind wandering.

"Are you looking for anything, Miss?" Said a voice behind.

Interrupting her thoughts, Odette turned and came face-to-face with an older lady, likely in her mid-thirties, with a single long braid cascading down her back and her hazel eyes peering behind spectacles.

"I'm fine, Mrs. Goodwin, just looking for something interesting to read." Odette replied.

"Oh, you know of me?"

"Ah, yes, you are the librarian here and a teacher of botany. Word has it that you planted all the pretty flowers in the school." Odette complimented.

"Oh yes! Plants, camomile, and a good book are what soothe me. I merely wanted to share that with the students." Mrs. Goodwin hummed as she cast a spell on the books she grabbed before putting them back.

"Oh, I'm just reapplying an anti-staining spell and damage-resistant spell on these books. I wouldn't want any stains from tea on them." She joked as she continued her job. Odette continued her perusal as she grabbed a book, silently read the title, and put it back.

"Oh, look at me; you said you're looking for something interesting to read." She spoke, returning the book in her hand to its proper place. "Any preferences?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Surely there's something you fancy." The librarian persisted.

"Nope I'm... Actually, do you have anything to do with magic theories? Specifically about spatial magic." Odette explained, her gaze shifting from book to book as she slowly read each cover on their spine.

"We do; they are on the-"

Cutting off the librarian, Odette quickly explained, "I've already delved into those; is there anything else? I'm looking for something new."

"How have you already-"

"I'm a Sopher." The announced.

"Oh... Oh! You're Odette Sopher. You seem different from the rumours." The bookkeeper realised this.

The infamous Odette Sopher, the stain of the Sopher family, was quietly pondering books and trying to boost her academic knowledge. Maybe another teacher could turn her away and tell her to make do with the available selection, but not Mrs. Goodwin. Any student who was diligent in their studies was commendable in her eyes.

"Frankly, it's not surprising that a Sopher would be so studious. I do possess books in a section for aspiring Mage Tower students. Your father will be proud to hear you taking your studies so seriously." Odette mentally rolled her eyes as she waited for the lady to finish.
"So you may check there."

And like that, the librarian booped Odette's nose and soon pointed at a door on the highest level of the building.

"Up there, I've given you authorisation. I hope you find it interesting."

"Thank you, Miss Goodwin." Odette said as she left to explore the new area.

'That girl, those eyes looked so listless.' Miss Goodwin thought before carrying on with her tasks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 5.3K 41
"If I'm going to die anyway, there's no point in trying to live." A typical reincarnated into a villainess story, except the protagonist isn't your t...
14 0 5
I made this when I was younger and decided to release my old work into this to the world. I didn't plan a storyline so this maybe have crazy tone shi...
31.9K 1.3K 28
Inure: (v.) To accustom to accept something undesirable, evil, or painful. An other worldly girl is reincarnated as Queen Estella de Royalis, the vil...
243K 7.2K 59
I could say this is one cliché story. A college girl died and transmigrated into an otome game she once played. Unfortunately she becomes the villain...