the back-up plan • jjk

By btsgotjams27

one drunken night leads to an agreement that if you and jungkook are still single by 30, you'd marry each oth... More

intro.
sunday.
monday.
tuesday.
wednesday.
thursday.
friday.
saturday.
sunday.

monday.

259 23 7
By btsgotjams27

A notification ding shows up on your phone.

[ Tattoo appointment - 6 PM ]

Shit. You completely forgot about your tattoo.

You go through your text messages, finding the Instagram profile of Kai, who's supposed to tattoo you. You frown when you see a cancellation fee and that the cancellation should've been done two days before the appointment. Now, you have to mentally prepare yourself for getting your first tattoo.

The recommendations on your YouTube only show videos of 'how much does getting a tattoo hurt.' You know the pain that goes into a needle puncturing your skin. The question was, how high was your pain threshold?

When you walk into the shop, a bell chimes. It's in pristine condition, as one would expect from a tattoo parlor. You're greeted by a girl dressed in a black latex v-neck top. A sunray heart tattoo sits right on her chest.

"Hi, I have an appointment with Kai."

She clicks through her computer and beams a warm smile. "For ___?" You nod. "Is Jungkook coming too?" she asks.

"Oh no. I don't think so." Was he planning on getting something, too? You didn't think he'd show after everything went down.

"Kai is finishing up with a client, and he'll come get you when he's ready."

You flash a small smile, taking a seat in their lounge. You're picking at your nail beds and bouncing your leg. You're trying to focus on anything other than what will happen soon.

A light noise of whirring fills the room. You close your eyes, concentrating on your breathing. It's a small tattoo. There's nothing to be afraid of, you think.

A part of you wishes Jungkook was here to hold your hand like he said he would. It's dumb even to want him to be here. But after spending so much time with him this past week, you admit you miss him.

"I'm ready for you," Kai says.

You take a deep breath and follow him to his workspace.

"Nervous?" he asks.

"Yeah, it's my first tattoo."

"You'll do great. I know it," Kai smiles, sitting at his desk. He grabs his iPad. "Okay, what are we getting today?" Kai asks.

"Um, I turned 30 yesterday, so I wanted to get the birth flower for September," you say, showing him the inspiration photos.

"Ah, Happy Birthday," Kai grins. "Birth flowers are a great choice. Any idea where you want it and the size?"

"On the back of my neck, I don't want anything too big. Two to three inches."

"Oh–a woman who knows what she wants. There was no hesitation," Kai teases. "Cool–so, I'll sketch out a few options, and then we'll go from there. Sound good?"

You press your lips together and nod. As Kai's working on your sketch, you stroll around his workspace, looking at the illustrations hung up. There's traditional and fine line art, and you recognize a drawing of a snake—it looks like the one Jungkook has on his arm.

"See anything else you like?"

"I, um, recognize some of your work. You've tattooed my friend, Jungkook," you note, turning back to look through more of Kai's sketches.

Somehow, your nerves have finally calmed down. The whirring noise from the tattoo gun is like white noise to you, drowning everything out. You're lost in the intricate detailing of the drawings. Tattooing is true art, you think. But instead of a traditional canvas or paper, it's forever inked on someone's skin.

"Okay, let me know what you think of these." Kai shows you the iPad with a few flowers drawn out.

"You're so quick," you comment as you review your options. "Let's go with this one." You love how delicate and dainty the tattoo looks.

"If you need a break at any time, just let me know," Kai gives a warm smile. "I apologize for the weird positioning, but I'll need you to lay on your stomach, and your head will hang off the table."

Your lips thin when you catch his gaze. You remove your zip-up hoodie and place it on a chair with your bag. Kai prints the design on transfer paper, putting the placement on the back of your neck. He hands you a mirror, ensuring it's in the correct spot.

"Alright, let's do this," he says.

Once you're on the table, the once-soothing noise of the tattoo gun flips a switch, and sweat builds up in the palms of your hands. The blood rushes to your head as your head is hanging off the table. You can see Kai's feet as he steps on the foot pedal, ensuring his equipment works correctly.

You take a deep breath, trying to exhale fear and anxiety, but nothing works. The tattoo gun sounds closer, and the needle inches away from you. Your fists clench up, and you close your eyes, hoping it'll be over quickly.

You can feel the latex glove on your back as Kai's ready to outline the design. You can do this, you think.

With eyes still closed, fists clenched—you're ready.

The shop's bell chimes again, but you're too focused on this needle about to prick your skin. You can feel another presence. Their warmth is radiating on you. You figure it's just the girl from the front, so you don't bother to open your eyes.

Your fist unclenches, and not because of your own doing. It's whoever is beside you. Opening your eyes, you see a pair of black motorcycle denim tucked into leather stomper boots.

"Hey—my man," Kai stops and acknowledges. "Good to see you, Jungkook."

"Hey," Jungkook replies. "Sorry, I'm late."

"Nah, you're right on time. We just started. I'm sure ___ appreciates you being here," Kai notes, returning to tattooing you.

You didn't want to admit it, but having Jungkook's presence was comforting. A part of you wanted to be stubborn and pull your arm away, but considering that a needle was piercing your skin—it wasn't a good idea.

Jungkook laces his hand with yours; his thumb lightly grazes over your skin. He leans forward, whispering, "Hi."

You're unsure if the shiver running through your spine is because of the needle or Jungkook.

While lying on this tattoo table, you're at war with yourself. An angel on one shoulder tells you to stay strong and not give in because he's holding your hand. The devil, on the other hand, is telling you you're a simp and can't resist when a man is fawning over you.

You hate that the devil is right, and you're even considering Namjoon's words, 'You gotta give the guy some credit. He went out of his way to make sure you'd stay single so he could finally have his chance with you. That sounds like dedication to me.'

Was it dedication or delusion?

You won't lie. You've done questionable things when it came to love, too, so you couldn't blame Jungkook. Maybe you should hear him out and see what he says for himself.

You're silent, letting Kai do his thing. He and Jungkook chit-chat about life and future tattoos. The buzzing mechanical hum from the tattoo gun is constant and annoying—you're growing numb to it like you're growing numb to the pain.

But Jungkook's touch? It makes you tingle. You're keenly aware of how his thumb strokes against your knuckle—the constant squeezes, reassuring your anxiety when the pain shoots down your spine.

Through the years, that's what Jungkook's always been—he soothes your pain.

Maybe he's responsible for your current pain - the shattered relationships and this tattoo you're getting, but he always has a backup plan: himself. He's the shoulder to cry on, the hand to hold—the constant, consistent one who shows up repeatedly.

He's confusing but calming, and you're annoyed at how much you don't mind his touch. Your breathing slows, and your shoulders relax as you sink into the cushioned table.

"Almost done," Kai notes.

That was fast. Fifteen minutes–tops.

Kai finishes cleaning the tattoo, and after you stand up from your awkward position, you're face to face with Jungkook. Once again, Jungkook resorted back to his favorite color: black. He's in an oversized long-sleeve shirt and jeans, and there's a silver chain adorning his neck.

His doe eyes twinkle and the corners of his mouth curve up. "The tattoo looks good on you," he says softly. "Do you wanna see?"

Even with a mirror, the placement makes it hard to see the finished product. You grab your phone, open the camera app, and hand it over to Jungkook. You turn around, facing the mirror, holding up your hair. You catch Jungkook's gaze and look away. His hand gently touches the nape of your neck, removing a stray hair. He snaps a few photos, handing your phone back.

"It looks beautiful on you."

You mumble a word of thanks, grabbing your things, attempting to flee from his presence.

Pulling out your wallet to pay for your tattoo, you head to the front, but the girl stops you.

"Jungkook already paid," she says.

The nape of your neck warms up, and your nostrils flare. You nod at the girl. Bumping into Jungkook on the way out, you stuff your wallet back into your bag, and Jungkook follows you, catching up.

"Why did you do that?" you ask, glaring at Jungkook.

"Because it's your birthday present. I couldn't let you pay for it."

You narrow your eyes, giving him the once over. "Why? So you can tell the next guy I date how we have matching tattoos and scare him off?" you retort, brushing past him.

Jungkook cards his hand through his hair. "Come on, that's not fair," he shouts, running after you again.

He calls out to you, making you stop in your tracks. Turning around, you breathe a heavy sigh. "You're right," you give him a wry smile. "But doesn't it sound like something you'd say? Mr. Liar Liar Pants on Fire."

The third time must be the charm because he's chasing after you again.

"Hey, can we talk, please?" he implores as his eyes scan your face.

You zig-zag around him.

He repeats by running and standing in front of you. "You can't avoid me forever."

"Watch me," you retort, attempting to flee again.

Jungkook holds his hand up. "Just hear me out, and if you never want to talk to me again after that, then so be it."

You huff. "Only if you drop me off at home," you say, crossing your arms. You don't feel like taking the subway; it's the least he could do.

With hands in your lap, you're waiting for Jungkook to say something, but he's as quiet as a mouse. He's missed two exits and been driving in circles, going past your apartment complex for the fourth time. You wouldn't be surprised if a police car starts following you, considering how suspicious the two of you look.

You can't take it anymore—the endless dancing around this conversation. "I thought you wanted to talk?" you ask as your eyes flick in his direction.

He straightens his posture, gripping the steering wheel and focusing on the road. "I'm, uh, I'm sorry for telling all those lies. It was stupid of me. I should've been honest with you from the beginning."

You bury your face in your hands before turning to him. "If you liked me, why didn't you tell me?"

You had come up with many scenarios in your head and thought back to your conversations and interactions with him. Jungkook had so many chances to say something, but he never did.

Jungkook shrugs and looks at you briefly before returning to the road.

"It's easy being your friend, but to be your boyfriend? That scares me."

You get it. Opening your heart, being vulnerable, and giving your everything to one person is terrifying. Sometimes, it feels like days, months, and years are wasted with one person when it doesn't work out.

"Scared you'd screw it up?" you ask, turning to him.

Jungkook hums as he pulls up to your apartment complex.

With a sigh, you admit, "You were on your way to being a pretty good boyfriend."

You hate that you found him so sweet and cute, even after everything that's happened.

"I was?" he questions with widened eyes and turns off the ignition. He shifts to face you.

"Yeah," you chuckle. Your hand lingers on the door handle. "Walk me up?"

The two of you are on opposite sides of the elevator. Jungkook's leaning on the metal bar behind himself with his legs crossed in front of him.

He hangs his head before looking up at you. "What if I had been truthful from the beginning? Do you think we would've been together?"

You press your lips together and shake your head. "I don't know, Kook. I guess we'll never know."

When the elevator arrives at your floor, it chimes, and you exit, and Jungkook follows. You stop outside your door, watching as Jungkook leans his shoulder against the wall, facing you.

You can tell when something is brewing in Jungkook's mind. You've been friends long enough for you to notice some tendencies.

With an eyebrow lifted and his tongue poking through the inside of his cheek, he's ready to lay something on you. He licks his lips, eyes flick to yours.

"Tell me you don't feel the same way," he says.

You can feel your stomach somersaulting when he doesn't break eye contact. Your heart rate rises as you work harder to pump more blood than usual.

There were small, fleeting moments where you could picture yourself with him: weekend mornings with breakfast in bed and late-night cuddles on the couch.

"I'm trying my hardest not to feel something," you confess. As much as he was scared to screw it up, so were you. You've never dated a friend. You've met all your ex-boyfriends through mutual friends. You've built fantasies of what a perfect boyfriend and relationship should look like, and Jungkook wasn't perfect–but neither were you.

Jungkook moves closer. "So you like me too?" His eyes dart from your parted lips to your eyes.

"I don't not like you," you say softly, stepping forward and tugging on his silver chain.

"So where does this leave us?" He's searching your face for an answer.

As always, your heart is at war with your head. The sensible thing to do is to stay friends. The foolish thing is to see how this could pan out. What if you could get your happily ever after?

"What would you do if I was yours?" you ask.

"If you were mine?"

You hum.

"If you were mine, I'd spend every waking minute with you. Asking anything and everything that comes to mind. I want to know what makes you happy and sad. I want to know what you love and hate. I want to know everything your heart desires." Jungkook eliminates the distance. "I'd pepper you with kisses all day–on your neck, cheeks, forehead, lips–everywhere," he says softly as his eyes never leave yours. "If you were mine, I'd never lie to you again. I'd love you with every breath and never let you go." He's eye to eye with you, hands cupping your face. "I wanted you from the moment I saw you. I was an idiot for not saying anything sooner. But if this is the only time I could be with you, I'll take it."

You gulp. Jungkook's saying all the right things, everything a girl could want. You hate it. You hate that you're a sucker for heartfelt moments and love confessions. Neverending cartwheels occupy your stomach. The little gymnast in there is going for the gold–doing back flips and leaps; there's no way to stop them. Your heart beats faster for him than for anyone else–even more than Namjoon.

All it took was a silly agreement and a few lies to make you realize you didn't want a perfect boyfriend or relationship. Forget getting married by a certain age. Forget the expectations of you instilled by society. This boy was a bit messy, a bit ruined, but a beautiful disaster.

Whatever it looked like, you wanted him.

You take another second to look at him because what you want to say next will change your friendship.

"Kiss me," you say softly, your gaze dropping to his lips.

"Are you sure you want me to kiss you?"

You nod.

If there's one more thing to add to Jungkook's list of fears—it's ruining your friendship.

"I won't be able to stop if I do," he whispers.

Restless is how you would describe Jungkook. Restless when it came to telling your exes lies. Restless in his ability to sit still. Restless as he chews on his bottom lip–it could be how he incessantly licks his lips or just lacks hydration. You've never noticed before how badly he needs chapstick.

But Jungkook's within touching distance of your lips, and all you can think about is how much he needs chapstick. Your sweet peach one, you think.

Maybe you should offer him some.

"Then don't."

It's slow and gentle when he kisses you. He's taking his time. There's no urgency. No tongue, no hands beneath your shirt, or roaming your body. Nothing like that.

It's like he's been waiting so long to do this. It's like he's forgotten any other mouth existed but yours. You'll forget your name or where you are when you finally break away from his lips.

He consumes every thought you have, and this is what you were afraid of–that you'll become addicted to his kisses. You're unsure how long you can stand before he has to carry you to bed.

His breath is warm and sweet. You love him breathing life into you and taking it away over and over. Your hands curl into his shirt, tugging him as close as possible. Tilting your head, you open your mouth to catch more air before kissing him again. Lips upon lips are discovering each other.

Jungkook pulls away, his nose nudging yours. He kisses the corner of your mouth and your cheek. He's on his tippy toes, kissing your eyelids, then your forehead.

"Okay–don't stop," you say, breathless, reaching for another kiss. "It's for scientific reasons."

He chuckles. "Are you researching how long someone can go without breathing?"

"Mmhm." You reach again, but he pulls back, making you pout.

"You didn't answer my question from earlier, 'Where does this leave us?' he asks.

You realize he won't kiss you until you answer him. You cock your head to the side. "I like you, but it will take a minute for me to trust you again."

Jungkook nods. "Mm, I get that. So...?"

"So–we should take this slow and see where it goes."

He sucks in his lips, trying to suppress a smile. "What about Namjoon?"

The two of you hear someone clearing their throat, and you look in their direction as they appear from the hallway. It's Namjoon, giving you a quick wave.

"Sorry, I didn't want to interrupt," he says as he walks to his door. "I saw you guys when I turned the corner, but then I ducked back into the hallway, waiting for you to...finish." Namjoon presses his lips together into a smile.

You turn to Jungkook. "I'll be one second."

With a sprint in your step, you head toward Namjoon. "I'm so sorry you saw that."

Namjoon laughs. "Why are you sorry? I knew I didn't have a chance against Jungkook. I was waiting for you to realize you wanted to be with him."

Your eyes widened. "You knew?"

His eyebrows raise, and he nods. "Mmhm." He leans forward. "We had fun, but look at the guy." Namjoon glances at Jungkook. "I would've felt like the backup until you two got your shit together. You don't have to worry about me. Go–he's waiting for you."

"Thanks Namjoon." A sense of relief rushes over you, and you're thankful he understands.

Returning to Jungkook, you're no longer looking at your backup plan. He's the one you want to wake up next to, the one you want to laugh with, smile with–he's become your first choice.

You extend your hand for his. "Come on, we have a lot of lost time to make up for."

He extends his hand for yours. "So, should I get my tux pressed?"

You deadpan.

"We're practically engaged now, right?"

Playfully, you smack his chest. "Be fucking for real, Jungkook. We're going inside and watching my favorite rom-com–While You Were Sleeping, so you can see the consequences of how lying gets you in trouble."

"Oh, I love that one! It's the one where she's engaged to the guy in a coma, but she falls for the brother?"

You slowly turn to him, mouth agape. "You really have seen a lot of rom-coms, haven't you?"

"I may have learned a thing or two from them."

"Yeah–lying!" You scold him as you enter the apartment. The two of you continue bickering back and forth.

Who knew you'd be living in a little romantic film?

💖

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 399 12
Jungkook wished that he didn't have a crush on Namjoon's close friend... but he couldn't help the feelings that naturally developed as he got to spen...
5K 504 21
"You, so used to treating girls like objetcs, will be burdened by the pain of being treated the same way. Love will be an unknown word in your dictio...
1.1K 280 37
Why am i so afraid to lose you when you are not even mine. @kook_the_explorer 18+ (Contains mature and triggering content) (No translation allowed)
49.3K 1.9K 22
You and Jungkook have been roommates since college. Both of you are in a long term relationship with different partners. When you both encountered h...