Incarnate

By NotSoSugar

(Restart AU) Legends had it that the Monkey King, the Great Sage Equal to Heaven, had created a being much li... More

Beginnings
Meet Again
Upcoming Foes From Before
I Dream A Day Away...
Greetings, Old Friend
Fortresses of a Brother, Bunnies From Above
City Lights, and Too Much Ice
Break The Frozen

Planning and Crashing

51 1 0
By NotSoSugar

"He got taken? Are you...are you absolutely sure?" Wukong sounded nearly hysterical with desperation, barely holding still as Mei finished bandaging his wounds. MK nodded solemnly, frowning to himself, "He told me to run."

Qi Xiaotian wouldn't have run, right? He would have probably stayed back and fought. He would have been able to help the warrior escape to safety.

Then again, Macaque had been cursed. Long since touched by her freezing hands, and tricked into wearing her chains like a collar. A cruel accessory. The reality was he wouldn't have been able to save the shadow user, not unless he had something that could destroy the ice.

Wukong squeezed his eyes shut before cupping MK's face in his hands, "I am so glad you ran, bud. If Macaque says to get away, it means just that. She could have...she could have taken you, too." MK felt a surge of emotions course through his veins, thumping in his ears. Tears spilled past his eyelashes, tears of relief and sorrow and frustration.

"How are we gonna stop her?" MK cried out, grabbing onto his mentor's hands, "How do we save everyone?"

Save Macaque?

The king smiled, a sly little thing, and leaned back. His hands moved away from the star's face, and revealed the rolled up paper they'd come crashing in with. Mei narrowed her eyes on it, "Is it a spell?" MK brightened, tears beginning to dry, "We can curse her back?"

"No, not exactly." Wukong's somber expression split into a small smile, "It's a map." He unrolled it, paper crinkling smoothly against wood. Vague symbols and markings were spread out across the parchment, and Wukong smoothed it out gently with his finger tips.

"The Samadhi Fire."

---

"So, there's three rings." Mei spoke slowly, calculating. MK felt a small sense of deja vu, as if he'd heard this story before. Wukong glanced over at the star and cleared his throat, "No. Not exactly. MK, do you remember seeing Ao Lie in a past life?" The brunette frowned, "...Kind of?"

Pigsy cut in, confusion clearly written on his face, "Wait, what does Mei's great grandfather gotta do with all've this?" Wukong exhaled slowly, trying to find courage within himself. Courage to tell the truth. MK had heard the story once before, in a past life or two, lying to protect them would only lead to further distrust and pain.

"Ao Lie had the fourth ring inside of him."

The dragon girl felt her eyes widen, the implications toying with her mind. Because if she was the fourth ring, if she had been one of many generations to inherit the damn thing, what did that mean for her?

"...I would end up wielding the fire." The girl licked her lips in thought, her skin feeling much too warm. The king reached out, placed a hand against her arm. The same way he'd comfort MK. It made her laugh inside, though her numbing panic didn't seize.

"It's super powerful...can I actually use it?"

Wukong hummed, chin pressed against the palm of his hand, "...It's either you, or Red Son who'd be our safest bets. You host the ring, as had many generations within your family. You won't evaporate from the fire, and Red Son...kinda created the fire?"

Sandy suddenly leaned in, his soft voice startling the group, "So. We either help Mei get ready, or get Red Son to help us and take the fire. Right?" Wukong nodded slowly, blinking hazily, "Mhm. That's...the base of the plan." The king rubbed his head, huffing softly.

His head was spinning, and his body seemed to burn. MK leaned against him, making the prickling bits of pain even out into a warm dull. Wukong felt like crying.

MK was his own person, just as every reincarnation was. But they were all still Qi Xiaotian. Sometimes they understood that, and sometimes, like MK, they didn't. He wished he could say the right thing, the right words. He wished it was easy to whisper 'You're different, yet the same' without demanding for the boy to understand.

The ship suddenly rocked as an icy collision slammed into the deck, causing everyone to scramble to their feet. Wukong quickly rolled up the map and stuffed it into his clothes, trapped against the bandages around his chest from inside his top.

MK suddenly made a strangled noise, and the king's eyes widened as a figure leapt off of the small flying vehicle that had crashed. There stood macaque, his entire arm and half of his face covered in ice. His eyes were glowing a vibrant blue, and his facial markings were as white as snow, practically glowing in comparison to his skin.

"What did she do to him..?" Tang gagged from sheer discomfort, and before Mei could voice her own thoughts, the warrior had leapt forward.

MK yelled out, staff in hand, as he blocked off the shadow user from advancing. Wukong felt a stab of uselessness, watching idly as his beloved wish and his moon fought. He was powerless, and injured beyond fighting capacity. He was weak, useless, and felt the dying need to do something useful. Mei had already begun to fight as well, and Sandy had quickly scooped up the king into his large arms.

"You shouldn't fight yet, Monkey King! You shouldn't push yourself--" The giant blinked in surprise as Wukong struggled, some of his strength still present, "No-! MK!" His scream was laced in desperation, and Pigsy quickly tried to calm him down, "I know, I know. That's our kid over there. But I promise he'll be fine."

Blasts of green and golden glows shone against them, and Wukong felt like sobbing. His boy was powerful, and wonderful, but Macaque had much more power and experience. And Macaque wouldn't be holding back.

And then a clang rang out, making everyone look up in surprise. An engine suddenly erupted, and everyone yelled out as the vehicle teetered to the side. Mei and MK scrambled towards Sandy as he opened the steering room, ushering everyone inside. Macaque was silent, leaning away, and falling into the skies below without uttering a single scream.

---

MK felt a spike of fear go through him as he looked out the windows, the ocean's depths looming over them all. He'd never been scared of the ocean before, not even when making his risky trips to Monkey King's home on his staff most days. He used to loom over the waves, laughing and ignoring how easily he could fall in.

Except it wasn't just him in here, and Wukong sank. How long would it take him to walk out from the deep blue? And MK would sink, too, and be engulfed by the waters. Everything would be giant compared to him, and the darkness would cloud his vision. He wouldn't be able to breathe, and his chances of being found would be slim. The ocean had never scared him before.

But it was swallowing them whole, taunting their tiny forms to its large abyss. It felt like falling and gliding, they weren't plummeting but landing into a giant's hands. The pressure would begin to crush them like tin and foil, stealing away oxygen and destroying their bones. They were small, insignificant compared to the magnitude crowding them into a tight space.

"Wukong, isn't there something we could do?!" The panic in his voice echoed out, heart frantic and cheeks growing hot. The king tried to smile reassuringly, but he had no true answer. Sandy was trying to figure out what to do, and MK felt dread pulling in the pit of his stomach.

He'd never been scared of the ocean until now.

"Look!" Mei gasped, pointing at two large eyes staring at them from the sea. MK felt a gasp of his own rush in, and he nearly tumbled over as he analyzed the large figure. Wukong smiled softly, waving at the dragon, as their ship was taken to safety.

---

Wukong stood in front of the group, smiling softly, "He isn't too keen on me, but we aren't enemies or anything. Though he might be against my plan, fair warning." Pigsy grunted in confirmation, shaking his head in exasperation. MK was just worried about leaving Sandy behind momentarily.

"Sun Wukong. Mind telling me why you came crashing through the waves?" The older dragon stood tall, his eyes holding the gaze of an exasperation. The monkey smiled, just as he always did, "Lady Bone Demon's doing, I'm afraid." Ao Guang narrowed his eyes, silently contemplating the group.

"And what of the map you hold?" The dragon went straight to the point, eyes narrowing. Mei waved a hand in the air, clearing her throat, "Uh, it's to help the world, sir!" Ao Guang's gaze visibly softened as his eyes fell on her, "Ah, Mei Dragon. Of course you would be out with Sun Wukong, trying to stop the demoness." The dragon girl blinked, tilting her head slowly, "...You know who I am?"

"I am Ao Lie's uncle. I know you." His voice was flooded in amusement, and then he turned towards MK. "...Ah." He moved forward, analyzing the brunette closely, "Qi Xiaotian. What name do you live by now?" The young hero flushed, "MK. I'm MK." The dragon nodded, humming softly as he stepped away, "MK. Alright, listen well."

"You may stay the night. Recover, gain supplies, and you may go. However, I will not further interfere with your plans." Ao Guang nodded mostly to himself, holding an air of authority. MK blocked out everyone else's voices and movements, solely watching the older man. He then gazed up at the dome protecting the kingdom, and felt the blood drain from his face.

Water stared back down at him, but it was still. Dormant, despite the waves and harsh flows as it forcefully flooded the airship. Caring, despite its sheer magnitude and threatening abyssal stare.

Maybe, deep down, he had always been afraid. Afraid of the fact he was a speck of nothingness when it came to the world's strengths and mercies.

"Come on, kid. We're headin' on in. Sandy'll join us soon." Pigsy dragged the brunette away by the arm, ignoring MK's blank stare. Maybe it was better if he did, but maybe he should've asked the boy what he'd seen. What he'll dream.

---

Macaque was freezing, swallowing down air that was not made for his lungs. The warrior hated the chains dragging him down, as if he were drowning.

Drowning...

Was he dying?

Funny enough, all he could think about at that moment was how this time would truly be his first time witnessing Diyuu in all its glory. Honestly he was still reeling from the trickery the witch had laid out for him and Wukong.

Wukong...

Macaque looked around the abyss, much too large for him to properly observe and process. He was hunting someone. Moving with the purpose to kill. Not that he cared, or at least that's what he insisted to himself.

Better to act uncaring than to mourn and scream in fear.

Mourn...

---

"I don't get it!" MK rolled onto his back, huffing loudly, "Am I Xiaotian or not?" Xing leaned over, smirking softly, "Yesn't." Baoshan smacked Xing, frowning deeply, "Don't give him answers like that! This is your first impression, dum-dum."

He glanced over at MK and smiled, "You haven't met Xing before, have you?" MK shook his head slowly, a frown pulling at his lips. Xing laughed, clapping his hands together, "I am the Second! I've been told you could use some help."

"Am I Qi Xiaotian?" MK pushed his question into the other's arms, staring at him patiently. Xing's smile fell into a somber expression, "Well... You are him. But more like in a 'What If' scenario. Do you...does that make sense?" MK shrugged slowly, brain eating up the information.

"Okay, uhm...So, imagine if--" Baoshan suddenly cut the Xing off, eyes blown wide as he launched himself at MK, "YOU'RE UNDER ATTACK!" MK screamed as everything shook and lurched, lights assaulting his vision. Two voices, much too similar to his own, screamed for him to WAKE UP.

"WAIT, WIAT-!" MK tried crawling forward, but something dragged him back. Xing and Baoshan faded away, leaving him alone in the abyss he feared so much.

---

Wukong was carrying him, running with the group, "You awake, bud?" The king glanced down and MK swallowed thickly, "We're under attack." Wukong winced, "Macaque found us." The brunette's eyes widened at the implications. He looked around, eyes landing on each of his family.

"Weird dream again, MK?" Mei smiled knowingly, easing his fraying nerves. MK laughed, a choked out sound, "Yeah. Pretty wonky." He tapped his mentor, and the monkey set him down as they clambered into a van. "Ao Guang's holding him back for now." Tang mumbled, glancing out the back doors before closing them firmly, "Oh, this is bad..."

Wukong reassured him, holding up the map, "Not as long as we have this! Ao Guang will be fine, he's rebuilt from the depths plenty of times. Trust me, he knows how to roll with the punches." The scholar exhaled slowly, rubbing his eyes tiredly, "Okay, fair enough. So where to now?"

The map was rolled out, and MK felt old voices in his head conjoin as his eyes landed upon the first location. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.6K 2.2K 23
Husbands Sun Wukong & Macaque x Wife Uzui Tengen Reader. _______________________________ ❝Starting now, things are going to get real flashy!❞ π™π™‡π˜ΌοΏ½...
3.4K 76 15
A teenager who just wants to have a nice summer break, ends up in a world they know very little about. How will they get through this? Who will they...
18K 795 12
Macaque x Female Sun Wukong Reader. __________________________ ❝𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒍𝒆𝒕 π’‚π’π’šπ’π’π’† π’…π’Šπ’„π’•π’‚π’•π’† π’Žπ’š π’…π’†π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’š π’Šπ’ 𝒕𝒉𝒆...
5.6K 165 12
"But you know the Monkey King! You two were practically best friends before!" Macaque looked away from the boy, sorrow filling his eyes. "Oh, we wer...