Rumor has it

Oleh saltoftheocean

Weekly updates! Rumors around Scarlett High have always had a fire under the smoke and an attempted murder is... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 4

6 2 0
Oleh saltoftheocean

I never thought that too much thinking could bring me so many problems. Yet here I was wide awake in my bed holding my head in disappointment.

Even my bed and some sleep couldn't help me retrieve my memories of that unfortunate evening. Most of my problems usually get solved that way but now I had to find another solution. I was staring at the pink walls of my room whilst everyone else in the house was asleep.

I didn't want to know how long I had stayed up but the sunlight hitting my window and illuminating the walls was a clear indicator of ' I had screwed up my sleep schedule right before school' and I shut my eyes closed for a second to reset before rolling out of bed. I send a quick message to Erica asking her if she is already up.

My phone pings just as I am about to go into the bathroom. It wasn't the reply I was expecting from Erica but instead, I was tagged on a post on the school's gossip page and I felt my entire body turn cold. I clicked on the post wondering what was being said about me and I paused reading when I saw my brother being mentioned. My nervosity quickly turned into anger seeing how the post called my brother an addict and that he was the one who attacked me on the beach.

'Rumor has it that it's why the police are looking for him, our little Hazel has a troubled brother...' That was all I read before I reported it and threw my phone to my bed.

I had a few names pop up in my head thinking of who would dare to post such a vile accusation. Freshman year me was stupid to think I could be friends with the person who created the gossip page and senior year me is now paying for that silly mistake.

I thought she had deleted that page but it just looks like she was waiting for revenge. I shouldn't be surprised since it wasn't like we were still friends but it looks like I had forgotten just how low Jessica Wright can go.

I dragged myself out of my room and went into the toilet and began brushing my teeth. My curls were a mess and I could see some red around the white on my eye, making my Hazel eyes look like they belonged on a zombie.

A zombie, that's practically what I have been feeling like lately. It has even affected my perspective on time, I could feel every single second that passed and it was driving me nuts. It was tiring, to say the least.

I wash my face with cold water and press my face into my warm towel, it made my eyes feel less heavy. After a moment of peace, I decided I was ready to brush my hair and put it in a slick ponytail to start my day, and then went to the kitchen still in my pajamas.

I heard the news on the TV before I caught the sight of my dad eating his breakfast in a dark blue suit. It made him look youthful and relaxed. He looked up from his plate and greeted me with a smile." Already up? I thought you would sleep in and miss school."

I took the seat in front of him and grabbed a piece of his omelet. He pushes the plate towards me and goes back to eating his hot porridge, which he always tried to trick me into eating with him.

" Dad, it's the first day of school and I rather be early than coming the next day," I said and then continued to eat the flavorful omelet and a few pieces of red paprika. I glance over at the clock before I look back at him." And everybody seems to think they know what has happened and will think worse if I don't show up as usual."

I was the class president and we always had a meeting on the first day of school. It would be careless of me to not show up. I was chosen as the president for a reason and wanted to honor that. My dad was the one who actually encouraged me to run for class president when I was hesitating.

" It will be fine alright? People gossip all the time but their attention spans are short and they will find something else to gossip about." He explained, then his phone began to ring and he pointed a finger at me a" hold on' finger.

I watched as my dad stood up still on the phone and he waved me goodbye before walking out of the house. I wasn't even mad at him, I knew his business calls were always long and a 'hold on' quickly turned into a 'we will talk later'.

What I was annoyed about was his simple view of this whole thing. Especially about the elite high school he had enrolled me in and how hard it was for me to fit in with kids who only care about your family's social status. I might be a Benson now but that hasn't always been the case for me.

What my dad didn't know was that Scarlett High had changed a lot since he went there. A girl left and never returned after our freshman year for talking to another girl's crush, yes a crush, and just last year a guy went to jail for being busted for selling illegal things in school. Those two students were still talked about and will probably be for the next few years unless someone else beats their level of gossipworthiness.

I just hoped I wasn't this year's finest contestant. I have managed to stay under the radar since I first moved here and I didn't want anyone to put my life under a telescope. I had to put the wretched rumor to an end quickly before I was forced to face my old self. I had tucked her far away from my new life and it was for everyone's sake.

" You're not sneaking off the beach to surf aren't you?" I almost jumped out of my skin when I heard my grandmother's voice so close to me. I turned my head and found her looking at me with a confused expression on her face with her hand on the edge of the table. I took a moment to calm down before answering her.

Looking at her closer I see that she is already dressed to go somewhere." No and where are you going this early?"

I pointed at her outfit. She laughs and her eyes wrinkle as she shows off her bright purple leggings and long shirt." Oh, this? I'm going to join a few of my friends in the neighborhood for a morning jog."

She was the afternoon type of jogger so it was nice to know that she was doing more activities with her friends since she was an early bird too.

" Really? That's great Grandma, just don't be gone for too long."

" I won't and since you're always up early too maybe you can join us?" She asked, her eyes shining with hope. Don't go surfing anymore and do something safe on land instead, that's what she really meant.

" Maybe another day, thanks for the invitation." I smiled and stood up from my seat. I grabbed the plates and she brought the glasses to the kitchen sink.

" Good, I will let Kent know that you're ready to go to school soon." She said and ordered me to get out of the kitchen. Kent was her chauffeur and although he was a grumpy old man, especially during the morning, I would say that he was a great company to have on the road.

" Thank you, I will just get dressed," I said and gave her a hug before heading towards my room.

" Hazel? Did your father tell you that kind officer will visit you after school?" My grandmother yelled out, he had of course forgotten to tell me that.

" He did tell me that," I called back knowing that if I didn't Grandmother would have a field day with my dad.

•~•~•

Kent turned down the volume a bit and I rolled my eyes. We took turns choosing songs since we both were picky about our choices and now since it was my turn he had to lower the music. Apparently his ears could only handle RnB and the slightest sound of pop was painful for him to hear.

" What? We're almost there." He said tapping on the steering wheel.

" Sure."

But he was right though because we were approaching the big Scarlett High sign as we entered the school grounds. There were a lot of kids hanging around the parking lot catching up with friends and if I looked closer I could see some of my friends heading inside the big grey building.

" Send me a text thirty minutes before you're done, alright? Not an hour before." Kent reminded me before I stepped out of the car.

I smiled sheepishly and nodded, I always tried to get out early if I could and it was because I was done with my work so there weren't any reason to stay longer than needed.

" Alright, thank you and goodbye." I said pulled the strapped of my bag of my shoulder.

" Call us if you need to get out early, have fun."

I gave him a thumbs up and then he began to drive away.

New and old faces appear as I walk through the parking lot toward my friends. I spot my friends in light blue jeans, Erica was wearing a green shirt while Hailey was wearing a tan one. I was also in light blue jeans but had a white shirt on. Erica and Hailey were walking towards the stairs deeply into a conversation, I hurried up to catch up with them.

" Guys, hold up." I said and they turned around. They walk over to me with a angry expression on their faces." Everything alright?"

" Absolutely not, what are we going to do about it?" Erica replied with fury in her eyes.

" About what?" I asked, but I didn't need an answer as I got it as soon as those words left my mouth but Hailey lifted her chin up and looked over my shoulder towards the parking lot.

" About her," Hailey said, her voice dripping with disdain. I looked over my shoulder to see none other than Jessica and Zoe parting with Cameron and Tristan. I was expecting to see Kai with them as the boys were his closest friends, but he was not with them and maybe he is already in school since I didn't see his car in the driveway this morning.

Jessica moved her short brown hair from her face and looked at us up and down before she snickered with Zoe.

I take a step towards them and stare back." Having fun? It won't last if I see that post is still up when I get to class."

" Sweet of you to think of me," Jessica said with a hand to her chest." But it looks like I'm not the only one you have pissed off Hazel."

This was all a fun game to her I could see that in her face and I was brewing with anger. She was full of shit thinking nothing will come of this. If it's games she wants play then I'm not the one she should try.

" Shut up Jessica, we all know you're behind that account so delete that post." Hailey was quick to respond and Jessica raised an eyebrow.

" Go ahead, file a report or something because I'm not childish enough to do so." She said and walked past us. Zoe looked around before heading up the stairs.

" Fine, we will see about that," Erica said and we began to walk towards class.

Erica stops us by grabbing our arms." Hey, anything new about your brother?"

I shook my head." No, nothing new." I had told them about the search and we were hoping for some good news soon.

" Okay, I'm sure he will be found soon." They said as we pulled into a hug. It made my heart feel less lonely that they knew Jack wouldn't just run away like this.

My dad kept on telling me that everything would be alright and that Jack would resurface like he often did. I did chew on that thought but it didn't stick with me and it only made me realize how bizarre this whole situation actually is.

I knew my brother well enough to know that he wouldn't have left me passed out on the pavement if he himself wasn't seriously injured. The gunshot I heard that day only further proved my twisted theory that Jack isn't doing fine and dandy like everyone else is telling me.

I shook those thoughts away as we entered our homeroom. The classroom is packed and many eyes turn our way and the chit-chatting ends abruptly. I scan the room for my dark-haired neighbor and expect to see him sitting near the window. Kai wasn't in class it sent another wave of anxiety through my body. I texted him once I sat down in my seat.

Mrs.Adams begins her speech and gains the class's attention.

' Just a little late, save me a seat' that was his answer. I had the window seat so he will have to deal with that since he asked at the last second.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

95.5K 3.2K 83
"This is the story of Hazel..a tale I tell to others...a tale not many know of.. Such a loving child with her brother. So bright and full of life. Y...
455K 13K 40
[[✨COMPLETED✨]] • We both inched closer and closer until our lips were brushing against each other like some sort of tease. But before we could go a...
21 0 22
"Let's get one thing straight, you know nothing about me or my brother, so you and this stupid gossipy town can go and suck it, for all I care!" ***...
76.5K 1.2K 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...