Favoritism. (mazerunner fanfi...

By newtiepatootiee

You were always their favorite. Mei wakes up in a dark, ascending elevator with no memory of his past, her i... More

Chapter 1: The Box.
Chapter 2: Bonfire
Chapter 3: Maze?
Chapter 4: Trapped
Chapter 5: familiar
Chapter 7: I know you
Chapter 8: The Changing.
Chapter 9: You just got yourself killed.
Chapter 10: Their favourite.
Chapter 11: Its another girl.
Chapter 12: beeping sound
Chapter 13: envy
Chapter 14: competition
Chapter 15: the blades
Chapter 16: stinger
Chapter 17: memories
Chapter 18: Sacrifice.
Chapter 19: Escape
Author's note !

Chapter 6: greenie?

24 3 0
By newtiepatootiee

Multiple protests came from the gladers after Minho's statement.

"She's a girl, Minho. Are you out of your mind?" Gally yelled.

Suddenly I could hear metal buckling from behind me.

No, no, I thought it was dead.

I turned to see the griever, alive and well again.
It loudly screeched, making a few gladers fall backward in fear.

Luckily, it retreated into the maze.

"What the shuck were you thinking mei? You could've gotten us killed." Alby yelled in anger.

"I just-"

"Slim it, one week in the slammer. You're lucky we don't banish you right here and now."
Alby shot me a glare.

"Alright you shanks shows over. Get back to work!"
Soon, the gladers had all left.

I turned to Minho, who looked at me anxiously before averting his gaze.

I heard a voice shout out,
"Mei!" Before feeling a body crash into me. It was Chuckie.
"We were so worried. We couldn't find you anywhere," he said in between choked sobs.
"It's okay, Chuck. I'm here now," I replied, running my fingers through his curly hair in an attempt to calm him down.

The voice was there again, sounding out of breath and panicky like he just ran from something.

Mei, they've found out what I did, I think they're gonna send me in.

What? wait, what are you saying?-

Just like that, the feeling of his absence was there again. He had just been ripped away from me.

Newts pov

I just stared at her, hugging the sobbing boy. I couldn't help but feel a little jealous. Was it wrong?

But there was no time to dwell on my feelings. Mei had put herself in danger, and Alby was right to be angry. We couldn't afford to make such reckless decisions in the maze.

I approached Mei, who was telling Chuck to go and have dinner.
She looked up at me, and I could see the guilt in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Newt. I didn't mean to cause trouble," she said softly.

I sighed, trying to contain my emotions.
"I know you didn't, but you have to be more careful. You can't just do anything reckless like that, we can't afford to lose anyone."

What if I had lost you? I said in a whisper, not loud enough for her to hear.

Mei nodded, her expression softened.
"I understand. I won't do anything like that again.."

I placed a hand on her shoulder before pulling her into a hug.
"Just be more cautious, alright? We'll figure this out together."

With a nod, Mei looked up at me, giving me a small
smile.

God, she's gorgeous when she smiles.

"Thank you, Newt. I'll make it up to everyone, I promise."

I lifted her with ease, her form fitting perfectly in my embrace.
"Newt what are you-" she looked flustered,

"Into the slammer you go, you still need to be punished after all" I chuckled at her slightly pink face.

I playfully carried Mei towards the slammer, her protests turning into laughter. As I set her down, she smiled at me, a genuine warmth in her eyes that melted my heart.

"Thank you, Newt," she said softly, her voice filled with gratitude.

I nodded, a smile tugging at my lips. "Just don't break the rules anymore, alright? I don't want to have to keep carrying you into the slammer." I joked.

With a final giggle, Mei entered the slammer and stuck her face out the tiny window of the door. She stuck out her tongue, mocking me.
Then, a mix of emotions swirling inside me. She was beautiful, strong, funny, brave, and determined, qualities that both impressed and scared me.

With that, I made my way back to the glade, my mind still on Mei. She had a way of getting under my skin, and no matter how hard I tried to push her away, she always found a way back into my thoughts.

As I settled down for the night, I couldn't shake the feeling that things were about to get a lot more complicated in the maze. But one thing was certain—I would do whatever it took to protect Mei, even if it meant facing the dangers of the maze head-on.

But did I really feel that way? Or is it just because she's the first girl I've ever seen?

...

One week passed, and Chuck and I had spent most of our time during breaks, visiting Mei.
Chuck always slipped her some of his food since she was only allowed bread and water.

Of course, Minho and Gally had visited her occasionally.
Thankfully, she was still her cheery, chirpy self.

Is it selfish that I wished it was only the two of us?

Finally, the day arrived when Mei was released from the slammer. I eagerly rushed over to Alby, asking him for the keys with a determined look in my eyes.

Alby chuckled, teasingly dangling the keys in front of me before handing them over. "Alright, Newt. Just don't baby her too much. We still need to teach her a lesson."

I nodded, trying to contain my excitement. Making my way to the slammer.

As I unlocked the door, I saw that beautiful face of hers as it lit up with a smile that could rival the sun.
"Newt!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around me in a hug.

I hugged her back, feeling a sense of relief wash over me. Pulling away I looked at her.

Mei grinned, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "Thanks to you, I survived a week, if I had been alone, I would've died of boredom."

I chuckled, shaking my head. "No need for thanks. Just promise me you won't do anything like that again."

Mei's smile faltered slightly, her expression turning serious. "I promise, Newt. I won't put myself or anyone else in danger again."

I smiled, relieved to hear her words.
"Good. Now, let's go get some food, I assume you're hungry from the fact that you've been eating bread and water for a week, along with the occasional slips of food from Chuck."

As we were heading to the canteen there, the greenie alarm rang.

"The box shouldn't be coming up for another two weeks.." I mumbled.

What was going on?

Mei's pov

As the greenie alarm rang unexpectedly, confusion and concern spread through the glade.
Even I knew that the box shouldn't be coming up for another two weeks.
Alby quickly gathered everyone, and we made our way to the box, unsure of what we would find.

There was a boy with dark hair, he looked scared, I had recalled my first day in the glade, and I knew what he was feeling right now.

It clicked in my mind that I recognized him. It was too much of a coincidence, but I knew I had seen him somewhere before.

Gally had leaned over the box and said his classic line.

"Day one, Greenie, rise and shine."
"He looks like a slopper to me."
"I could use some help in the kitchen."
People made comments as he was pulled up, and
but then he ran.

"Hey, we got a runner!"

I was amazed, he was fast. Well, until at least he faceplanted unto the ground.

he stood up, seeming to look at the walls.
Two gladers took him by the arms and threw him into the pit.
I soon followed, wanting to see if he was the guy that was in my head.

Alby was there, already asking the scared boy if he remembered anything.

"I can't remember anything."
"Why can't I remember anything?"

My heart ached, and I felt sorry for him.

Alby pulled the boy up and began giving him a tour, teaching him the rules, just like he did for me, I was still trailing behind unnoticed.
Until they approached Newt, who shot me a cheeky grin as I held my finger to my mouth, begging him not to blow my cover.

"Green Bean, meet Newt."
"When I'm not around, he's in charge."

"It's a good thing you're always around then."
"That was some dash you made earlier. For a second, I thought you had the chops to be a runner... till you face-planted." Newt chuckled.

"Wait, a "runner"?" The greenie asked, confused.

"Newt.. Do me a favor. Go find mei." Alby ordered

Newt smiled and pointed behind them, right to me.

As they looked, I was there behind a tree, embarrassed I had been caught.

They approached me as I laughed nervously, shooting a glare at Newt.
"hahah... hi Alby, what did you need?"

"I expect you to make the greenie aquianted, to make up for last weeks incident."
Alby firmly gripped my shoulder before walking away.

As Alby walked away, leaving me alone with the new greenie, I couldn't help being embarrassed I was caught following them.

I approached the greenie, who was looking around, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings.
"Hey, I'm Mei," I said, offering him a smile. "Welcome to the glade."

The greenie looked at me,
"Is it just me.. or do i know you?" he said, his voice filled with uncertainty.

I nodded understandingly. "Yeah.. I have that same feeling too, but for now, just try to relax and take it all in."

I could see the fear and confusion in his eyes, and it reminded me of my own first days in the glade. I knew how overwhelming it could be, but I also knew that he would soon adjust and become a part of our community.

"You'll get used to the glade soon, then tonight we're gonna have a bonfire in your honor. It's really fun, don't worry I'll be with you the rest of the time.

I had to try something first.

Is it you? can you hear me?

"Did you say something?" The greenie asked.

It's him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.5K 2.8K 16
Adrien is cursed with a magical cat bell after rejecting, who he thought was an old beggar, was really a witch. She warned him if he does not find tr...
65.9K 2K 24
this is going to be based off the books currently under editing!! any suggestions please do tell me please enjoy โ˜†
490K 15.5K 46
โคทโ˜…๐”ซ๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ ๐” ๐”ฅ๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ค๐”ข๐”ฐ "I guess we're stuck with each other." "That doesn't sound too bad" โ€ขโ€ขโ€ขโ€ขโ€ขโ€ข THE WALKING DEAD , carl grimes seasons 4-8 sp...
55.5K 1.2K 68
A student from the Paldea region took an interest in traveling to other regions to learn new things.