Number Neighbors- Natasha Rom...

By Upon-A-Starry-Night

When you catch sight of the newest trend going around you know you're all but bound to at least try it, it wa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Final Authors Note!
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Epilogue

Chapter 32

694 41 34
By Upon-A-Starry-Night

Nat tells you everything about what happened a month ago, including some details you were probably not authorized to know. She seems determined to get you to understand her no matter what and you're endeared at how important it is to her that you know absolutely everything.

You take note of the fact that you're definitely past Avengers Tower and are now in what looks like rural New York. There are more trees and greenery around and you're curious about where you're going but you focus your attention on Natasha for now.

You listen to her story diligently and with as much empathy for both sides as you can. You can understand why none of the other Avengers wanted to be the government's lap dogs but you also understood that fear was a powerful thing. You subconsciously rub your healing scar at the thought.

When she finishes her explanation she seems to look at you expectantly, waiting for your response and you take a moment to formulate the right words in your head before speaking-

"You left me with no contact and I'm trying my best to understand your situation but it doesn't stop the fact that I was still hurt by it" It's a painful truth but if Nat could share her vulnerability with you than you could do the same.

"I know. I know and I'll spend however long you need me to making up for it. I'm sorry Y/n. You have to know that it hurt me so much to hurt you."

"You're already forgiven"

"That was fast" She seems surprised and even a little amused at the quickness of your forgiveness and you shrug

"If I'm honest, I forgave you the second I saw you. I missed you, Nat. I'm just glad you're home safe" Her eyes hold a look so full of admiration that you have to force yourself to look away. If she keeps looking at you like that you're not sure what you'll do.

To distract yourself, you urge her to continue her story and resist the need to pull her lips to yours. You hope she doesn't notice the way your eyes subconsciously go to her mouth when she begins talking again but your chances are slim with a super spy.

If she notices she doesn't say anything and you have to wonder if it's due to the presence of someone else nearby. You can't help but be a little frustrated- would you two ever get a moment alone together? To say what you've been itching to say since you found her again?

Natasha tells you about being lonely and drafting argument after argument with Clint. Waiting for the right moment to come back.

"Honestly we thought it was going to be another half a month at least but I rushed the process." You might be hallucinating but you're pretty sure there's a light blush on her cheeks. " Even if the argument wasn't perfect there was something important I had to come home to."

You nod in understanding, you're sure it's not easy being in her position "Yeah, the world needs its heroes"

She gives you a look that seems to say 'That's not exactly the reason' but you can't think of any other reasons for her to rush something so important to them. The risk seems to have been worth the reward for her.

Seeing that you're not understanding, she drops the look and continues with her story "Anyway, with the government facing so much heat from the public combined with our statement they had no choice but to agree or they would be out of heroes the next time aliens came knocking on Earth's door."

You resist the urge to first pump the air at the news. Surely that meant she would be around often right? At the very least you could visit her as a friend, even if every part of you was madly in love with her.

Much to your surprise, the car eventually pulls into a large gray and white building in the middle of nowhere surrounded by trees. The driver drops you off at a side door before pulling off to another part of the building and you stare in awe at the huge building with the Avengers 'A' printed on every part.

You're admiring the sheer amount of space around the area but before you have the chance to gawk any further Nat is guiding you inside of the building to be met with glossy cement floors and very modern interior design.

"You'll have time to look later" You can't help but read into her words. That meant she wanted you around for longer right? Maybe this whole thing wasn't one-sided after all.

A robotic feminine voice from above makes you jump in shock and Nat glances at you in amusement at the action.

"Miss Romanoff, welcome back. An unregistered person is accompanying you, shall I register them in the database?" Nat is seemingly unfazed by the voice of God coming from the ceiling as she speaks freely to it.

"Hey Friday, She's my guest, feel free to register her if you'd like. I know how Tony is" She mumbles that last part but you still hear it anyway.

"Creating guest profile... Scanning... registering Y/n Y/l/n as Natasha Romanoff's guest" You flinch when it says your name, briefly wondering how it got that information and you turn to see Nat smirking at you.

You glare at her obvious pleasure at your confusion and try to brush off how freaky a voice from the roof talking to you is.

"Sorry I'm not used to rich billionaire tech" You huff a bit childishly and Nat just shakes her head with a chuckle, placing a hand on your back and guiding you to a set of double doors. The two of you are about to enter when you hear the sound of two familiar voices. The same voices from inside your apartment.

Noticing your obvious discomfort, Nat stops and steps in front of you, her hands finding purchase on your shoulder

"Are you okay?" Truth be told you feel a little shaken but if Nat wasn't weary about what was behind this door then you shouldn't be either. Worst case scenario Nat was there to protect you from whoever those men were.

You nod your head, unable to bring yourself to speak and she takes a minute to observe you and rub your shoulder in reassurance before she opens the doors.

The doors lead to a living room space with a kitchenette attached to it and sitting at the island table are two roughly familiar faces. One of them was none other than Clint Barton aka The Hawkeye, and the other was Steve's friend Bucky. He was still pretty new to the group so you didn't know much about him but much to your surprise the voices from your apartment were coming from them.

When Clint's eyes land on Nat he grins from his seat and pats Bucky on the back but Bucky's eyes immediately fall on you, his face paling as he struggles to make eye contact.

Your eyes widen as you realize not only were you being stalked but you were being stalked by a trained assassin and Avenger. What possible reason could he have been following you for this whole time?

"I told you she'd recognize you" Clint has the heart to fix you with an apologetic smile as he talks to Bucky and to your credit Nat seems equally confused.

"What's going on here, boys?" She narrows her eyes at the two of them and Clint raises his hands in surrender, not wanting to be a victim of her wrath.

"Well I was watching over Y/n like you asked me to but imagine my surprise when I found someone else doing the same" You take a minute to register the fact that Natasha asked Clint to keep an eye on you and you struggle behind finding it endearing and being uncomfortable.

All this time you were worried about getting kidnapped, you were actually safer than you've ever been in your life. At least you don't have to worry about being stalked anymore as it seems that mystery was solved. It's a large weight off of your shoulders. You decide to count it as another positive to add to the tally for today.

Nothing could ruin today for you and the feeling of Nat's hand settled comfortably on your lower back only further cements that statement.

A sigh draws your attention back to the group and you along with everyone else, stare at Bucky expectantly for an explanation.

"Listen, Steve wanted me to find a way to check up on you but when I started digging the only lead I could find was Y/n" It's weird to hear him say your name as if it's familiar and you wonder how many other Avengers know of your existence. "I thought if I watched her long enough she would lead me to you but I wasn't getting anywhere so when she went out of town I might've..broken into her apartment to look for signs"

"-and that's where I found him when Y/n had the unfortunate timing of coming home" Clint is the only one who seems to find humor in this situation but it's clear from the look on Bucky's face they had been bickering about it before you came in.

"I thought she was gone!" Apparently done with pretending you're not in the room, Bucky turns to you with an apologetic look on his face "I'm sorry"

You're not quite sure what to make of this situation but there's still one question nagging at the back of your mind

"So were you guys in the SUV's that followed me as well?"

Shaking his head no, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion at your statement "I prefer to tail people on foot. It's easier to blend in" His assurance only fuels the confusion in the room and everyone's heads whip to the door before you can even sense anyone coming. Stupid super spy senses.

The door opens to reveal none other than Tony Stark sporting a guilty look on his face- well as guilty as a playboy billionaire can feel.

"That would be me." Your eyes widen in surprise at the confession. "Really it's shameful that neither of you noticed. I think you need more training" He makes his way to the kitchenette, opening the fridge and perusing the contents until he pulls a container of blueberries and begins snacking on them, completely unaware or just disregarding the eyes glaring at him.

"Why were you following Y/n, Stark?" Nat is the first to speak, she seems irritated at the fact that not only one, but two of her coworkers were stalking you and if you're honest you're a little irked that they would use you to try and get to Nat.

He rolls his eyes, clearly exasperated that you aren't following "Oh come on, you guys didn't think you were the only ones who thought to check her phone records?" He shakes his head in disappointment. "Clint's attempt at hiding your phone was commendable but I don't need the actual phone to hack into the records" he turns to Nat once again "Your little firewall was cute though"

"You're still on thin ice Stark"

He raises his hands in surrender and places the berries back into the fridge, talking to your group with his back turned as if he isn't in a room full of irritated super spies and assassins. "Well imagine my surprise when I find out not only is Nat's little 'boy-toy' a girl, but she's also already in my system"

"Wait wait- what do you mean?" It's your turn to speak up and your head is spinning with all the new information you're receiving. If you're honest you're still craving the nap you were robbed of earlier.

Tony seems to acknowledge you for the first time since he walked into the room, his eyes scan observantly up and down your body before he quirks a brow and you wonder if everyone feels this small in his presence "Friday runs automatic background checks on everyone who enters my elevators. Obviously"

You realize he's talking about when you and your friend attended his part at the Tower and he gives you a tight-lipped smile when he sees you've caught on

" I was worried you were an over-obsessed fan or something but a quick little peek into your text messages told me everything I needed to know. So I had Happy tail you but Natty here was nowhere near her girlfriend. So cold of you to completely ghost her like that Nat, really?"

"Good to know everyone here respects my privacy" Nat rolls her eyes and Bucky averts his gaze from the two of you, clearly uncomfortable with the situation he got himself into.

You can't help but notice the fact that Nat doesn't object to Stark calling you her girlfriend and you're sure you must look crazy as you blush in a room full of suffocating tension. Maybe they'll think you're a nervous blusher.

"Yes well-" Tony gestures at himself as if to say 'you know who you're dealing with' "Imagine my surprise when you came back claiming you would get the government off of our asses- I thought it was because you liked us but clearly you had ulterior motives."

Before you can question what he means, Nat huffs and turns to drag you out of the room. You're grateful to get away from the stuffy tense environment but as you're leaving you turn back to see Tony smirking at you for some unknown reason. His eyes hold a playful but knowing mirth and you wonder if you'll ever understand what goes on inside his head.

A/n: Imagine Tony Stark reading every text message you've ever sent. Mortifying.~ Starry

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 3K 36
18+ Starting a new school always sucks, going from everything to nothing sucks more but maybe it's just what Y/N needs to find her true self. After...
12.9K 409 21
the title says it all Beware: abuse, mental health, suicidal thoughts, mentions of ed, etc. None of my chapters are proof read im js kinda winging it...
Blue Mist By Ally

Fanfiction

77.3K 2.7K 44
Y/N is as much of a mystery to the Avengers as their appearance in her life is to her. With no memory of her past or realisation of her true power...
121K 3.9K 28
[U N E D I T E D] [ The POV switches from 1st POV to 3rd POV everytime, so it gets really tricky ] "God dammit y/n!" She hissed. "It's you!" she poin...