A Tumbler Full of Tales - ICT...

By budstarc

Summary - One shots comprising of the Indian Cricket Team, their shenanigans and a few tidbits of their life... More

Introduction
Boldness, be my friend (Virat and MS)
Sleep First, Plan Later (Rohit and MS)
Cometh the Hour, Cometh the Stage, Cometh the Man.
From One Sacked Captain to Another
From One Sacked Captain to his Mahi Bhai
From One Sacked Captain to his his Mahi Bhaiya - Parte Dos
From one Captain to his Just Retired Skipper - Parte Uno
From one Captain to his Just Retired Skipper - Parte Dos
Not a tale - For AadeezTrashLuv
Accepting disappointment - The First Part (A different take) (MahiRoRat?)
Hesitation - (MS Dhoni centric)
The much awaited call- Aftermath of the match (Ft. Rohit-MS-Jassi)
The Defeated Captain - (Virat centric. Jaddu, Mahirat)
Accepting disappointment - The Second Part (A slightly different take)
Accepting disappointment - The Third Part [Ft. Rohirat]
Accepting disappointment - The Fourth and Last Part [Ft. MahiRoRat]
Not an update - Just utter silliness
NEW STORY
Witticism and solemnity. (Mahirat - with a sprinkle of ICT)
Friendship - Oh you menace! (Ft. Hardik and Rahul - a sprinkle of MSD - 2019)
Relinquish (Mahirat )
The Prince (Dethroned?) [Ft. Shubman Gill and Virat]
Taking the scenic route - 1 (Ft. MSD, Virat, Rohit. Mahirat and MahiRoRat)
Taking the scenic route 2 (Ft. MSD, Virat Rohit. Mahirat and MahiRoRat)
Taking the scenic route 3 (Ft. MSD, Virat Rohit. Mahirat and MahiRoRat)
Not an update
Taking the scenic route 4 (Ft. MSD, Virat Rohit. Mahirat and MahiRoRat)
Slowly pushing a glass off the table? (Ft Rohirat. MS Jads)(Some Crack Fic)

My heart is sick of Woe (Ft. Virat. RCB. Rohirat. Jassi)

996 69 272
By budstarc

My heart is sick of Woe (Ft. Virat. RCB. Rohirat. Jassi)

A/N - Do not take this too seriously. There is no real plot. Just things.

I am just so disappointed with RCB and cranky due to pain.

Well, he does his thing. He stops the crowd from booing Hardik.

He hugs Hardik; runs a hand through the boy's unkempt hair. He nudges Rohit ever so slightly, asking whether he is doing okay.

He sees Siraj with Jassi and does not disturb them. He shakes hands, completes the formalities and by the time peace rolls into place, he saunters back into the Team room.

They are sharing hotels, RCB and MI, despite many of them having their residences in this city of dreams. The managements works in mysterious ways but Virat stands in the middle of the room feeling quite lost.

RCB is again treading the murkiest waters down at the very end and Virat had become quite the expert in smiling against that rising deluge of sorrow. Each match and he sits back at that dugout, his cap slightly pulled down and trying hard to push down those pesky feelings of disappointment and grief.

Another match, another loss. Virat is so used to it by now that it is downright hilarious.

"Hey."

And of course, there stands Glen Maxwell right in the middle of the room.

"Hey. Not out with the Team?"

"No, not really. Not feeling up to it and all."

Virat nods and goes to where his temporary lockers had been set up. Opening it, he pulls out the box from within. He did not know what it held, but it had been slipped into his pocket by MS right after their first IPL match with a whispered,

"Just follow the note"

A tiny post-it had been pasted on top of the box with just a couple of words penned.

"Open only when the day grows really dark. Love, respect and trust. From Bhai."

Virat blinks back the sadness and runs a hand over the box. It was not yet time; he still has strength left.

He keeps the box inside his pockets and closes up the locker again.

"What are you looking at?"

Maxi is sitting on one of the beanbags and intently looking at his phone, almost glaring at it. "Nothing. Just.... Just twitter."

Virat rolls his eyes. "Why would you do something as stupid as that? Just after we lost the match and rather spectacularly at that?"

Maxi shrugs and places his mobile aside. "It is good to know where you stand. I should be able to take the heat considering that I am not performing; purposefully jinxing the team and all."

Virat closes his eyes and breathes in. He places a hand on Maxi's head, much as he had done with Hardik, and pulls him into a hug.

"I am not purposely jinxing the team, Virat." The words were spoken and Maxi tightens his arms around Virat's waist. "I am really not."

Virat knows that platitudes at this stage were useless at best and downright disrespectful at worst; he kept patting that head of head, running his fingers through the dishevelled mop.

"I trust you, Maxi. The team trusts you. It is alright, really. Things happen and are we really a Team if we do not stand by our mates in their hour of need? Stop looking at the social media things, Maxi."

"We will not win the cup this time too, Virat. We will disappoint you yet again."

Maxi's words finds the freshly scratched wound on Virat's psyche and he winces; in his mind, of course.

"We still have matches left," he says, and with a final pat on Maxi's head he steps back. "Get some rest, Maxi and stop reading about nonsense."

Virat slips away from the Team room and makes his way back to his own. Despite travelling regularly, he ascertains that his room holds a few trinkets just to lend it a homely feeling. The small stand-up photo frames and the smiling faces held in them makes him feel the slightest bit better.

Dropping his kit-bag at the corner of the room, he grabs a bottle of water from the sidebar and walks out to the balcony.

A few kids from the Mumbai Team were celebrating at the poolside restaurant and an involuntary smile crept unto Virat's face. He sees Ishaan looking happy, after a good long time, and it is satisfying to see the youngster in a better frame of mind. He has never become as easy with Virat as Shubman, but he has his random 'crowding up to Virat' moments.

Virat sips at the cool water, relishing the comfort as it trickles down his throat. The heat and the humidity was unrelenting and even though it was comfortable in the air conditioned interiors, the parchedness of the body remains.

Virat goes over the tiny ensuite pool and sits at the edge, dipping his feet into the cool refreshing water. Dropping his head over his chest, he stares at the small ripples forming and disappearing into the dark blue expanse. The one overhead light shines softly and forms tiny little flickers over the water and Virat stares at them, in a trance like state.

It was particularly peaceful. Very consciously, he keeps his mind free of any stray thoughts. There was not much end in sight for it. He could keep thinking and yet reach nowhere. Life is funny like that.

"Cheeku bhaiya?"

Virat starts and looks up; Jassi.

"Hey kid. Lost your way?" It takes a moment, but then it strikes. "Did I leave the door open?"

Jassi shakes his head and comes over to sit next to Virat. "DK Bhai handed over the Team's master key and made me promise that I will return it right back to him; you were not opening the door."

Virat chuckles and face palms. "I couldn't hear the door from here, Boomer. You could have called me."

"You still call him that?"

This time Virat gets the sudden jolt in his heart beats; Jassi was a surprise but Rohit was completely unexpected.

"What are you doing here, Sharma?" He waves the man in. "Anyone else around, Jassi?"

"No! Just me and Rohit Bhaiya. It was his idea to use the master key."

"But of course!" Virats grins and knocks his shoulder against Rohit as the latter sits next to him at the pools's edge.

The knock was slightly harder than he had thought and Virat acts fast to stop Rohit from diving head fast into the pool.

"Oh you moronic, Kohli!"

"Sorry, yaar. Didn't mean to." Virat smiles in part contritement and some amusement. "Or maybe, I did."

"Bloddy bugger."

"You, my friend, are swearing a little too much now-a-days. I am wrongly infamous for mouthing off."

"You just do it on camera, Cheeku Bhaiya..."

"And your Rohit Bhaiya does it on the stump mic; Yeah." Virat reaches out and ruffles Jassi's hair. "So, why this invasion?"

"Invasion? Really?" Rohit deadpans and Virat had to grin. He had expected exactly the same. "Why didn't you come down for dinner? You and Maxwell."

"You came to accost me because I did not come down for dinner? Did you accost Maxi?"

"Tim went to him." Jassi flaps his feet in the water and a fair bit of it splashes on Virat; the overgrown bowler just giggles.

"Jassi!" Virat gently scolds and wipes at the stray drops. "When will you grow up, kiddo?"

"How about never?" Jassi schools his face into some annoyance. "It is just with the two of you... And Mahi Bhai." He tacks the last bit on, as an afterthought.

"And what about when you fool around with Hardik?"

Virat looks at Rohit and raises his eyebrows.

There was the slightest hesitation. "I don't!" The negater comes a little late but comes hard. "He does not have time these days."

Virat scowls and drags the younger man into a one armed hug. "Yeah. Then you come and disturb one of us; whichever one of us you find. It could be me, or Mahi Bhai, or Rahul, or Rishabh... Anyone really. And you can just call us, whatever your idiotic Rohit Bhaiya says. No need to go around getting keys."

"He told me to steal them; I dissuaded him." He attributes the charge immediately and leans back when Rohit tries to swipe out at him.

"Don't hit him!" Virat guards Jassi and the bowler laughs away at Rohit. "Getting desperate, Rohit? Why didn't you just call?"

"Not sure that you would open." Rohit says and grins lazily. "Not my first rodeo, is it?"

Virat wants to hit his teammate upside the head but it would not look too good in front of the kid, though Boomer has seen plenty over the years. "This is the IPL, Captain ji. Not going to sulk and brood just yet."

A part of Virat's wants to call his own bluff but he tamps down on those pesky feelings. This is not the time nor the place, not really.

"Not the captain, Virat." Rohit says, his words holding on the slightest bit.

Virat trails a one eyed look towards his friend; his very best in the Team and probably more. "You are the slightest bit delulu, aren't you?"

"What?"

"Delulu... Like Delusional." Virat trades a look of silent amusement with Jassi and finds his mirror in the kid. "I obviously meant you as the Captain of the Indian Cricket Team."

"Oh."

"Oh yes." Virat dips his finger tips into the water and flicks some over. "Earth to Rohit Sharma. Didn't you come to console me?"

"No. Jassi came to console you. I came to irritate you out of your funk."

Virat jumps as he feels Rohit's fingers poking just underneath his ribs; the tickle monster activates. "Don't be a kid, Rohit." He yelps.

"Me? You did the same thing right in the middle of the game."

"I was just saying hi!" Virat raises his hands in the air and stuck out his tongue; he wanted to act mature.

"We missed you Cheeku Bhaiya; the last couple of months."

Jassi says after some time passes in silently contemplating the pool water, the stars above and life in general.

"I missed you too, kid. And your Rohit Bhaiya took all opportunity to make himself the favourite with all the kids."

Jassi bursts out into loud laughter. "Even after swearing at them every which way."

"Aren't you talking a little too much?" Rohit reaches around Virat and pulls Jassi's ear. "You think your Cheeku bhaiya can save you?"

"His Cheeku Bhaiya will save him." Virat knocks back Rohit's hand and holds Jassi a tad bit protectively. "Every single time. I may have, unknowingly, badmouthed him once upon a time but..."

Virat trails off; he had not meant to drag up the memory.

"Why are you thinking about that thing, Cheeku Bhaiya? You didn't even know me back then."

Virat shakes his head and pats Jassi's face. "Just wanted to acknowledge it. Nothing to fret about, Jas."

"Virat?" Rohit's hand lands on Virat's shoulder and he is pulled around. "Are you okay?"

"Of course, Rohu, my darling. I am perfectly alright; A-Oaky. Just my team losing back on back matches; same old, same old. Nothing new to see here, huh? We are the team who has done nothing and yet they think they have done something stupendous." Virat splashes his hand through the pool water, smacking it against the titled side. "It is nothing, Rohit. Just need to sit down and go through this; one match at a time."

"Virat...." Rohit's voice was slightly heavy and Virat tries to go for a flippant smile. But it probably did not work as he feels Jassi's arms hug his back and the kid's head on his shoulder.

"Do you want me to leave, Cheeku Bhaiya? You..."

"No re Jassi. Don't be stupid, kid. After all that we have faced as a Team? Who knows me more than all of you? Well, Mahi Bhaiya does. But who else? I... I know that my Team does not judge me." Virat raises slightly worried eyes and meets Jassi's. "You don't, do you?"

"Of course not, Bhaiya! Is that even a question?"

The hug turns firmer and Virat drops a kiss on Jassi's head. "Then it is okay. I will be okay."

"Is it just the IPL?" Rohit asks and for a moment, petulant hurt rushes through Virat. Hurt with a side of sudden doubt.

"You know....."

"No. No, Virat! Don't go on an overthinking spree. I know nothing more than what we have already discussed. But... Did they...?"

Rohit does not finish the question and Virat lifts his shoulders in a shrug.

"They are dropping hints but it seems that they are themselves pretty unsure. I am not taking any decision right now."

"I am not playing if you are not!" Rohit's retort returns sharp and Virat feels a smile on his face.

"Don't be stupid, Rohu. I don't think they will have the guts to do something as drastic as drop me, but even if they do, you should play. Of course you should. We cannot compromise with country."

"You think we can win the World Cup without you? Have you lost it, Kohli?"

Virat's eyes burns and he clicks his tongue. "You may. MS won 2007 without any of our Senior Stalwarts. Cricket does not work like that."

Rohit does not interrupt.

"It does not matter who plays, if India lifts the cup. That's all that matters."

"You will play, Bhaiya. We cannot think of facing the World Cup without you." Jassi's words soothes Virat's thoughts and he drops another kiss on the head of his gentlest and much loved kid. Though he was more of Rohit's kid.

"I would love nothing better, Jas. One last try, maybe one last hurrah?"

"Last?" Rohit scoffs; he throws a palmful of water at Virat's face. "You... We are going nowhere before the 2027 World Cup. For that to happen, even if I have to hand over my exercise and diet regime to you, I will happily do it and more."

Virat widens his eyes and grins. "You will? Think it over! I will so hold it over your head, Sharma!"

Rohit slips off his t-shirt and slides into the pool. "Do your worst, Kohli! If it makes us win that cup, I will bloody well do anything! And I know that it will not be with me as the captain, but I couldn't care less. As long as I get to pose with it and you."

"Rohit Bhaiya? Not as the captain?" Jassi sounds perplexed and Virat pulls the kid closer.

"He is probably right about that. A younger Captain will need to come in, but it doesn't matter, does it? Rohit will always be our leader?"

"Always, Cheeku Bhaiya. Like with you and like with Mahi Bhai. The designation never matters."

"That's my boy."

Virat sits back, drops down and lies down halfway over the slab. He properly looks up at the sky and smiles.

When Mahi Bhai had suddenly retired from Test Cricket, he had felt almost orphaned. That man had been his father, brother and friend in one. But his Team had rallied around him and even weird Mahi Bhai had always known when Virat had needed him. And his phone call would come.

Then came his Mahi Bhai's retirement in 2020 and the world crashed around Virat; they were mutually exclusive but no less painful for that. But yet again, after a few hurt clashes and all, his Team had rallied around him with Rohit standing tall as his armour and Mahi Bhai using that uncanny sense of his to help his mental health that bit more.

Virat turns around and looks at Rohit with affection brimming in his eyes and also directs a fond look at Jassi. In his mind he knows that one day, whenever that day may be, he will move away just as fast as his Bhai had done. May be not as silently, but with just as much alacrity.

And he will miss his Team; his crazy Indian Team and his crazier RCB Team. Virat lets one singular tear trail the side of his face.

Bichhad gaya... bichhad gaya
Bichhad gaya har saathi de kar
Pal do pal ka saath

Kisko fursat hai jo thaame
Deewanon ka haath

Humko apna saaya tak
Aksar bezaar milaa

Humne toh jab kaliyan maangi
Kaanton ka haar mila

A/N - Something very different. As usual, will love to hear from you.

CSK - You Magnificent Team. In your wins and losses. And MSD - You gem. 

Thank you all and take care. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 174 5
Season 6 - Episode 12... The episode which was eventually taken down... That infamous KWK incident nearly destroyed the budding careers of two young...
5.2K 273 6
They are best friends as world knows them to be but there is something more to it . What is it? They have to figure it out. #angstwithhappyending # r...
10.1K 812 9
One Shots about Friends and Brother connected by heart, whatever happens that connection can never be broken.
8K 286 8
I'm just inspired by some idea I'm gonna pitch it here You guys can request it if you want any preference but no super senior and junior i kinda love...