The Founding of Rumble.

By CRGangell

Jayda has lived a sheltered life, in the forest with her parents, Aunts and Uncles. Finally, after years of t... More

Chapter 1: First Town
Chapter 2: Astra Erling
Chapter 3: Jayda's First Job
Chapter 4: Becoming Warhorses
Chapter 5: the Capitol.
Chapter 6: Schooling the Magic School
Chapter 7: To punish the greedy.
Chapter 8: Time to prepare.
Chapter 9: The Isles of Barbarians.
Chapter 10: Frey Bjarnkin
Chapter 11: Mia Cloud.
Chapter 12: Rank Up!
Chapter 13: Hydra Hunt.
Chapter 14: Stalling the Drums
Chapter 15: To the Kingdom Conference
Chapter 16: Making plans
Chapter 17: Freedom
Chapter 18: Cait Jadeson.
Chapter 19: Oops.
Chapter 20: 2nd Kingdom Conference
Chapter 21: Leeanne Mason
Chapter 22: That makes six.
War Horse Members Status 1
War Horse Members Status 2
Chapter 23: Íss Vargr
Chapter 24: Leeanne's past comes back.
Chapter 26: RUMBLE!
Chapter 27: Branching out.

Chapter 25: An interesting Student

2.8K 133 71
By CRGangell

Hi Everyone

Not the longest chapter but it is a good setup for the next.

Have Fun

Chapter 25: An interesting Student.

Jayda walked into her other weapon styles class a week and a half later, their stay had been extended to three weeks to get all the courses in as there were a couple of people who met the requirements who weren't in the city right now. There were only twenty-five people in the room, they all had their weapons in their hands and were eagerly waiting for Jayda.

"I am Jayda I will be your instructor, if you are wondering, I am a weapon master, there is no such thing as a weapon I cannot use or figure out how to use." Jayda told them as she started to walk along their line and looked at the weapons, the first person was using short weirdly shaped axes with a slightly curved handle for leverage, Jayda held out her hand to take one and one was handed over.

"Ice climbing axes, I haven't seen this style before," she remarked after studying it for a moment before she returned it. She paused at the woman next to him who was using a rope dart. "Nice, don't see rope darts often this far west." Jayda turned to the stands where the other war horses were to help if needed. "Oi Leeanne, go put on your comfy clothes and come back here." Leeanne stood and left the room to do as she was asked. Jayda moved down the line the next couple of people carried versions of quarterstaffs, daggers and finally the second last was a woman who only carried a unique shield, it looked like the cross between a header and a tower shield. 

Jayda paused before her, she studied this woman for a moment, she was more solid than any of the other women, her build was one that tanks wanted, solid but not too big, she stood in that perfect zone at five eight of not being too tall or short either. Her armour was a little lighter than normal, scale mail instead of the heavier plate mail, also she carried no weapon just her sword. Honey brown hair was pulled back in braids to keep it out of her face and hazel eyes, which were more green than brown watched Jayda. 

"Okay, you have my interest, attack me." Jayda stepped away and gestured her forward. The woman stepped forward and with speed and strength Jayda hadn't thought possible as the woman was wearing heavy scale armour. Jayda dodged the shield that swung at her, and the woman suddenly slammed the shield down and changed direction to attack again. This time Jayda was forced to flip over the woman.

Jayda held up her hand to pause the fight, "Okay, I get it, do you fight with a swordsman or a spearman?"

"Just me," she answered.

"Frey," Jayda called as she pulled a sword out. "I want you to attack her, I will attack the opening your attack will create."

Frey nodded and her sword and shield appeared, the two women started to fight, Frey trying to get around the smaller, faster woman who was using her shield as both a shield and a weapon. "Shit!" Frey had to quickly raise her shield to block Jayda and the woman quickly side stepped and managed to slam the blunt edge of her practise shield into Frey's ribs.

Frey grunted in a little pain and took a quick step back to make room. "I take it your working shield has sharp edges."

"Yeah." She answered not even out of breath.

"But did you see how working as a pair might help you?" Jayda asked and the woman nodded. "You should search for someone who can match your speed if they can't the timing would be wrong. I would suggest someone who uses a one-handed sword or a bastard. May I?" Jayda asked and she offered her shield to her. Jayda studied it for a moment, "Go to a blacksmith and have a hand hold added here, it will give you more leverage when you go to edge attack, I can attach one quickly, but you should have it attached properly."

Jayda took a few moments to modify her shield then showed how the new handhold would give her more leverage then showed her a few new moves to use. "Go practise that against a dummy." She nodded and walked over to the dummy. Frey walked over to watch and figure out how this woman had come up with this unique fighting style and see if she could steal any of the skills.

Jayda made a bo staff appear in her hands. "Okay, staff fighters, attack me." There were seven staff fighters, and all had similar skills simply diverse ways to execute them. Once Jayda had sampled each of their styles she stopped the fight and started to add to the skills they had, for the sole woman she showed her she should use her flexibility, to flip and use gravity to add force for the men she encouraged them to get faster and told one he was using a lot of unnecessary movements which would wear him out. She then sent them off to practise what she had shown them.

Leeanne returned in her Hakama. Jayda smiled at the rope dart user, "You attack her."

She hesitated for a moment before Leeanne just smiled at her. "I doubt you'll hit me; my teacher is a beast with a rope dart."

The woman nodded and started to use the flowing style that was used for the weapon. Leeanne used the smallest amount of movement to dodge the dart which shot out at her face. Jayda watched as the two moved for several minutes before Jayda stopped them.

"Did you see it?" Jayda asked Leeanne.

Leeanne thought for a moment before she nodded. "The sharpness of some of the moves aren't right."

Jayda nodded and made a rope dart appear in her hands, Leeanne gulped but got ready, the woman stepped back to watch and was surprised when Jayda attacked Leeanne with the weapon in her hand, Leeanne again moved in the flowing style taught her only just managing to dodge the attacks.

Jayda caught her dart, "I can't really teach you much you've almost mastered it as is, but did you notice the difference in our force?"

She nodded, "Speed equals force, I need more speed."

"Also, your dart, could possibly be made a little bigger and heavier." Jayda added and she nodded.

"Come I can show you a drill my teacher taught me which is all about different levels of force which should help you learn how to moderate your force." Leeanne stated and they walked further away as the dart and rope weapon had a larger range then most handheld weapons.

After another half, an hour the last of the students were away and practising the new skills or techniques taught to them. Jayda went around correcting and adding. Helping the students to start to master their chosen weapons.

A few hours later Jayda clapped her hands, "Okay, we're done, I hope that this class has helped you." The group smiled, it was hard to find someone who could teach them as their weapons weren't common, so when they got the chance they always jumped at it.

Jayda stopped by the shield warrior, "I am holding my Sword basics and master class this afternoon and tomorrow morning, you should come, let's see if we can find you a partner."

She nodded, "I am actually in your master class tomorrow."

Jayda frowned, "Wait... so..."

She sighed, "I lost my sword once in a fight with a horde of orcs, it was intense, and I couldn't just hide behind my shield, or I would die. So, I started to use my shield as my weapon and I figured out how to make it work, I even went to a blacksmith and had a new, custom shield made so that I could use it as a weapon. I then decided to practise it. Just in case it happened again, and it did."

"So, no secondary weapon?" Jayda asked.

"That was my secondary and my reserve. When I heard about your other weapon styles class I decided to give it a shot and see if you could show me a few new things, and you did, I just wish I could spar with people, I think it would help me grow." She stated.

Jayda nodded, sparing with experts would help her grow. "While we are here, we'll spar with you, we like challenging ourselves against unique styles. Still another swordsman will help." She stopped the woman and watched the others leave. "Got your sword?"

"Always." She replied.

Jayda nodded and stepped back, she pulled out a small shield, it wasn't a buckler, or any kind of shield Frey had seen before.

"Hey what kind of shield is that?" Frey asked as Jayda slipped it on.

"Modified Dark Elf bracer shield." Jayda explained as she made a sword appear. The other woman was ready, they saluted each other than started to fight, they traded blows for a good ten minutes before Jayda finally ended the duel.

"Speed, strength and endurance." Frey remarked, her speed was unheard of for a regular tank type, most tanks moved slowly, they wore and carried heavy gear, they were meant to take hits and aggro. "Nice."

"What is your rank?" Astra asked, the other War Horses had watched the spar intently, the woman had used the sword and the shield to attack Jayda and did it with practised ease.

"B, I just need to do a guild nominated quest and I can rank up to A." she answered, and Astra nodded, the woman was probably closer to S rank considering her skill but getting there was hard.

"Yeah, you are closer to S rank, Jayda wasn't holding back that much," Leeanne stated firmly, and Jayda nodded in agreement. She knew Leeanne didn't mean she was holding back her strength, but she meant Jayda's actual skill in using her weapons and styles, on top of that she was particularly good at matching skill level.

"Have you dived the dungeon?" Mia asked.

She nodded, "Yeah, I've dived to the 23rd floor."

"Solo?" Cait asked and got another nod.

"Yeah, S ranked." Astra stated and then as a group they started to leave the room.

"What is your name?" Jayda asked, she didn't bother to learn names because they were visiting, if they were staying that was different but even then she tried not to, they meet too many people.

The woman smiled, "Dawn Brightside." She answered.

"Dawn," Jayda said with a nod, "Lunch?" Jayda asked and Dawn nodded and joined the group for lunch at the bar.

~*~*~*~

They left the city exactly three weeks after arriving, Dawn had said goodbye yesterday as she had gone off to finally do her guild nominated quest which was to be the examiner for a D to C promotion. They hadn't managed to find her a partner, but they all had sparred multiple times with the woman, growing her unique fighting style. Jayda had warned her not to go pass the fifth-floor master until she had that partner and Dawn nodded in understanding. The War Horses had run that dungeon, so they knew what lay ahead.

Frey sighed as they started to slowly walk away from the city. "A pity we couldn't find Dawn a partner, she's fun to fight and it would have been more fun if she was fighting in tandem with another."

"We'll keep an eye out." Astra remarked and got nods.

"So, long way or short way?" Jayda asked the group.

"I want to rank up!" Leeanne stated firmly.

"Short way it is," Jayda remarked, she nudged Onyx on, and he jumped forward and started to run. The others followed her and after half an hour of gentle running they were far away from everyone they stopped and dismounted, their horses slipped back into their shadows. Everyone grabbed onto Jayda, and she shadow stepped them into a secluded part of the forest outside of the capital.

They summoned their horses and mounted again, Night stuck his head out and whined, he wanted out of Cait's shadow.

Cait studied him for a moment, "Fine but if you misbehave, I will not let you out again for a while." Night jumped out of the shadow and wagged his tail; he was pretty much fully grown now although he still looked a little gangly. Fern, Void and Golden hopped out of their respective shadows and sat patiently as they waited for permission to stay out, they got it easily and because Night didn't have the shrink skill, yet they stayed in their true forms.

"Let's go fuck with Matt!" Leeanne declared making the others chuckle.

As a group they rode off towards the nearest gate, they got into line and waited. Fern, Void and Golden went down to wait as they knew it was the least intimidating when in their full forms. Cait glanced to Night who was standing beside her, "Night down."

Night glanced to the other wolves and dropped down like they had.

"Good boy," Cait tossed him a bit of jerky, Night caught it in his mouth and noticed the other three wolf monsters were chewing on jerky having been rewarded for correct behaviour. Cait kept an eye on the young wolf as he glanced around even as he chewed his treat.

They moved forward slowly, and every time Night did what he was meant to, he got either praise or treats. Cait noticed Night getting a little distracted, "Guys I am going to dismount." Cait said even as she got down off Blaze, she did not want to set Night up to fail and it would be easiest to help him not fail if she was beside him. Blaze gave Night a kiss and then slid into Cait's shadow. Cait took a moment to put Night's harness on him so that she could grab him if she needed to.

Jayda dismounted and even though Fern was well behaved she put his harness on him as well. She had made these harnesses to help them out, it made them look tamed as well as allowed them to use their bodies to help drag and carry things.

"May as well." Astra dismounted and the others did as well, their horses slid back into their shadows and Astra took a few moments to harness Void and Golden.

"Wonder what's taking so long?" Leeanne remarked as Yuki popped out of her shadow. "If you misbehave you will not get yummies!" she told the somewhat mischievous lion. He purred and rubbed his face against hers. "Fine," Leeanne told him and took a few moments to put a harness on him, if he did something she would be able to control him.

Jayda glanced to Mia and Frey, but their beasts decided to stay in their shadows.

"Did we go to the wrong gate?" Frey asked as ten minutes later they hadn't moved.

Leeanne climbed up Cait's body to get a look. "No, this is the south gate, it normally isn't congested like this." She remarked before she slid down, "I can't see that far."

Cait turned, bent down, grabbed Mia's hips and lifted her up as she stood before she turned around.

"I fucking hate being the shortest!" Mia complained and a couple of the adventures and peddlers around them chuckled. Mia could focus on the gate and the activity that was there. It looked like a couple of carts were the reason for the stall at the gate. "Looks like a couple of merchants and a noble have gotten into a pissing match." Mia stated and got groans as she was lowered to the ground and returned to her feet. She punched Cait in the thigh, "Don't do that again." She told Cait as Cait rubbed her thigh as Mia's hit had hurt.

"Sorry, I'll ask if we have to do that again." Cait apologised.

Half an hour later and they still hadn't moved, "want me to go slap some people?" Leeanne asked.

"No," Jayda told her firmly and noticed city guards were coming down the line and checking people so that when the disturbance was cleared, they can get people through faster.

The guard paused when Night turned to him and yawned. It took the guard a moment to see the group as his eyes focused first on the monsters, four wolf monsters, a Fenrir, two Dire Wolves and a wolf monster he had never seen before and a giant white lion, probably a cave lion. But the unknown wolf monster had his attention, he knew it was young, probably still growing and maturing but still, it was an intimidating monster.

"War Horses," the guard remarked and pulled out passes for them and wondered how to hand them over without getting too close to the monsters as they might not appreciate that.

"It's fine, they won't attack," Cait remarked even as she held out her hand.

"Need me to slap people?" Leeanne asked.

"Ah no," the female guard with the male guard remarked, "we have the commander coming to yell at them and since she is an Earl, she ranks the noble causing the fuss." She handed the passes to the Cait, "What is he," she asked as her eyes glanced to Night and knew her partner was just as interested.

"Night is a Dread Wolf juvenile." Cait told her, "When he finishes growing up he should stand about here," Cait gestured to her chest area, right now he stood a little above her hip.

"Dread Wolf?" the male guard remarked in surprise. "What rank are they?"

"Considering the only accounts of them are from over twelve thousand years ago, I don't think they have an official ranking but considering they are a hybrid between a Fenrir and a Dire Wolf, safe to say he is at least S ranked." Cait answered and the guard nodded.

"How did you get him?" the woman asked curious even as their eyes focused on the large upper and lower canines.

"Found him being protected by his dead mother, a snow leopard attacked her. When I got him he was so small, he fit in the palm of my hand, then I raised him and tamed him when he was old enough." Cait explained and the guard nodded.

"He's gorgeous," she remarked before she and her partner started to move on.

"Yeah, and he knows it." Cait remarked as she gave him a vigorous scratch.

Five minutes later and the line started to move, there were cheers and claps, the guards got between who they had checked and who still needed checking and followed the line in.

The noble and merchants had been moved to the side as they were still arguing, since the noble was not from Ashford they didn't get priority like Ashford nobles.

The noble had a dozen wolf hounds that were roaming freely around their carriage and cart, who growled at Night and went to rush him. Fern, Void and Golden moved to stand with their pack mate and all four monsters let out deep warning growls, Yuki pushed forward and let out a deep rumbling growl which was joined by Sol who had come out of Jayda's shadow. There was a thump and Bruh came out and slammed his hands on the ground after coming to stand beside Fern. The hounds didn't pause they kept coming although they did slow down a little to spread out, to look for the weak spot like they had been trained to.

"Shit!" the guards exclaimed as Soot was next out, Night was their pack mate they would protect him.

No one moved to step between the stupid hounds and the monsters, although a lot of people moved to give the monsters and beasts room.

"CONTROL YOUR HOUNDS!" an authoritative female voice demanded, the monsters hadn't moved forward to attack, they were simply standing their ground, it was the hounds which were being aggressive.

The noble and the handler were trying to get control, but the hounds ignored them.

"Store your monsters!" the foreign noble demanded.

"Your hounds started it!" Leeanne declared, no way would they call back their monsters, potentially that might mean the hounds would attack them.

One of the hounds leapt forward to test the group, Bruh reached out, caught the hound and flung it back at its group, killing it and injuring another in the process.

Night quivered, ready to jump in but felt Cait's calm hand on his rump which helped calm him down although he didn't lower his hackles, all the monsters were alert, but none were stressed or quivering like him, not even Yuki who was as young as him.

"You killed one of my hounds!" the noble declared.

"Your hound attacked us." Astra replied.

"Control your animals NOW!" the commander said as they finally took that dangerous step to stand between the hounds and the S-ranked monsters, she stood with her back to the monsters, confident that they would not attack her as they seemed a lot more controlled than the stupid mutts.

Another hound went to attack, just as it leapt forward a spear skewered through it and pinned it back to the ground, Frey lifted another spear ready to throw it as Jayda and Mia readied their bows, Astra weighed her axe in her hand, ready to throw it.

However, the death of two and injuring of another gave the handler enough time to grab two and attach leashes which were being held by the escort, they pulled the other hounds back and locked them into cages. One by one the hounds were caught and returned to their cages as they refused to come when called. Once the last was locked up Frey moved forward to retrieve her spear, she yanked it free from both the ground and the dead hound and cast cleanse on it. She walked up to Bruh and touched her knuckles to his chest which he copied before he hopped into her shadow now that the danger was gone.

"Hey, you and your monster killed two of my hounds!" the noble declared as they stormed forward.

"Your hounds were aggressive first, we were minding our business." Jayda replied and watched as Sol started grooming Night although their eyes were still focused on the noble.

"They are Wolf hounds; you have wolf monsters of course they were going to attack." The noble remarked.

"Then it is still your fault," Jayda stated, "your fault that your hounds have no self-control, your fault your hounds didn't answer to return commands. Your fault two, no three are dead." She finished as she had felt the life leave the hurt hound, if the noble had been apologetic, they would have saved that hound by healing it but because they were a twat, nope.

Frey grinned and pulled out some sugar cane and offered it to her shadow, "A two for one, nice." Bruh's arm reached out and took the sugar cane to munch on in the darkness.

"I demand compensation those are expensive animals," the noble declared.

"SHUT UP!" the commander told the noble, "Your hounds, are forbidden entry to the city, they are dangerous and uncontrolled." The noble went to speak, "SILENCE!" the commander demanded, "One more word and I will bar you entry entirely."

"I have business in the capital you cannot bar me." The noble told them arrogantly.

"Want me to slap them?" Leeanne asked already over this.

"No," the commander remarked just as Fulton rode forward then dismounted. It was easy to tell that he was an important person, his armour and the way the guard reacted to him.

The guard commander came to attention but didn't salute.

"Earl Woods, what is going on?" Fulton asked even as he glared a little at the War Horses.

"They didn't start it Knight Commander," the commander stated then gestured to the noble. "They did. Their hounds went to attack their wolf monsters, the wolf monsters didn't move they stood their ground, the hounds refused recall commands and three were killed, two because they lunged to attack and one because it was in the wrong spot when the gorilla, which is now in their shadow," she gestured to Frey, "threw back the one it killed."

Fulton turned to Jayda who nodded as that is what happed, he glanced to some nearby adventurers and merchants who also nodded, they would be official witnesses if needed.

"I am a noble, a guest in your country, they killed expensive animals, and this idiot wants to bar them entrance." The noble stated and the watchers were all extremely interested in looking away, no one would call the commander of a guard, let alone an Earl an idiot, at least to their face.

"That idiot," Fulton started to say, "as you so colourfully said, is an Earl, a noble in Ashford and commander of southern district capital guard." He told the noble firmly. "they have every right and the authority to bar people and animals from entry." Fulton remarked firmly. "Woods?" Fulton turned to them.

"Those hounds refused return commands, they were aggressive first, I believe they are not safe for entry, what if they attacked people?" Reon, the guard commander, explained and questioned at the same time.

Fulton nodded, her reasoning was sound, the actions of tamed monsters and domestic animals were the responsibility of the tamer or the handler, more so when it came to hunting animals like wolf hounds and boar hounds. They had already proven they can't be controlled, if they were let in and hurt someone, although it would be on the handler, it would also be on them as they had allowed it knowing they were dangerous.

"I too will bar them from the city and, they are to wear yellow collars while in Ashford which means they are forbidden from being uncaged or off leash. They are to be under handler always control. All towns, forts and cities will be notified, if they are found roaming and or outside of handler control they will be killed on site." Fulton declared, it was a little extreme, but he was thinking of children and what these hounds could do to one if not controlled.

"You can't..." the noble started to argue.

"I am the Commander of the Royal Knights, I can, and I will." Fulton told them angrily.

"What about them and their dangerous monsters." The noble demanded to know.

Fulton turned to the monsters who were simply sitting and waiting, there was no growling, no aggressiveness. He glanced to the hounds who were growling and rattling their cage to get out. He sighed, "Seriously..." he said as he gestured to both groups, the monsters were bigger and more intimidating even when they weren't aggressive, but these monsters were not being aggressive they were just waiting patiently for their partners to indicate they were going.

He gestured to watching a merchant, "Oi, who do you feel safer with?"

The merchant glanced between both groups then pointed to the monsters. "They may be monsters, but they are tamed and don't look like they would attack me without reason or warning. Not too sure about those hounds though."

"Can we go?" Jayda asked as she put Sol's harness on as the older cat had decided to stay out.

"Yeah, I know where you live when you are in town." Fulton told her. "Get our witnesses information and if they are cleared let them in, we will get their witness statements tomorrow." He declared and the line started to move again.

"What about my dead hounds!" the noble exclaimed.

"Just be glad they aren't all dead," Fulton told them firmly. "Your hounds picked a fight with S ranked monsters," the noble blinked in shock. "Seriously, you didn't notice that none of them were normal wolf monsters. Two are Dire Wolves, one a Fenrir, the last a Dread Wolf, none of them are less than Ancient rank," Fulton admonished. "Not to mention the griffon, the silver gorilla, the cave lion and the long-fanged tiger, like the Wolf Monsters, none of those are less than Ancient rank either. The long fang... is Celestial! In fact, I don't think any of the monsters attached to that group are less than Ancient Rank."

One of the adventurers snorted in amusement, "Seriously, picking a fight with War Horses." They remarked as they walked by.

The noble went pale. "War Horses, they..."

"Two barbarians, a dark elf, a halfling, a human and a green ogre, yeah War Horses." A different adventurer taunted as they passed the group having already given their information as they had witnessed the event.

~*~

The group left the gate and went to the guild, they hoped to check in quickly before they were dragged in to explain to Matt what had happened on the gate. Night noticed all the nice smells of food, but he stayed close to Cait as he had already been praised for earlier he didn't want to be told off for doing something wrong. They walked into the guild and went to a line to check in. Night decided to lay down between Cait's legs as they waited when Cait shuffled forward he did.

Most of the waiting adventurers were focused on the monsters who were calmly just being with their partners. They knew the War Horses had powerful monster partners however they rarely had them out while in the city. Leeanne leant against Yuki, it was a little warm in here and the Frost Cave Lion radiated cold.

Mia walked forward to check them in. "Just checking in."

Sol rubbed his face against Jayda's back, his fore paws were wrapped around Jayda to hold her, and Jayda had to brace her body, or she would be pushed around. "Come on Sol," Jayda complained a little.

Sol ignored her and she sighed, "I will give you all the pats and scratches you can stand when we get," Sol rested his chin on her shoulder and then yawned showing off his teeth. Night and Yuki copied although their teeth were nearly as intimidating as Sol's.

"Goddess your breath stinks." Jayda complained and Sol snorted in amusement.

Mia finished checking them in and grinned at Jayda who was getting loved on by Sol. "We're checked in, let's go, shit!" Mia complained as she watched Matt walk out from the office area.

Matt walked over and glared at them a little as he crossed his arms, "Seriously, getting into a fight with a noble."

"They started it," the six women answered as one.

Matt growled a little under his breath even as he reached out to greet Night as this was not the first time they were meeting. Night pressed his head into the hand that was scratching his ear.

"We did, Sol cut it," Jayda told the large cat whose tongue had swiped out and licked the side of her face. "We did nothing, their hounds went to attack our monsters, our monsters moved to create a wall, but they never moved away from us, they never attacked they just formed a wall. Two lunged to attack us, Bruh caught one and threw it back, killing two, Frey skewered the other when it lunged. We were deemed faultless as it happened before the Commander of the southern guard."

Matt took a deep breath, he knew Reon, she was straight laced and didn't even like the fact she had inherited her uncle's title as she had worked hard to rise to Commander of the southern guard on her own merit. "Fine, if you were deemed not at fault, then that is fine." Matt's second hand started to scratch both sides of Night's jowls and the monster's tail thumped the ground as he wagged his tail. "okay, I will come by tomorrow to chat." Matt told the group when he finally stopped scratching.

"I will come by tomorrow morning once we've sorted our spoils as to what we will sell... Sol seriously." Jayda complained as the large cat had sent her forward. Fern stood and lifted a paw and tapped it on top of Sol's head, if Sol wanted to play Fern would play.

Sol ignored him, here was not the place to play, besides, he was mainly doing this to show that contracted monsters like them were different.

"Come on lets go home." Astra stated, she had been scratching Void and Golden.

They left the guild and made their way back to their home. The gate opened on their approach, and they walked in and were greeted by their guards. They walked around the house and out to monster paddock to release their beasts. They spent time with their beasts, cleaning and grooming them as well as playing and in Sol's case Jayda spent a few minutes cleaning his teeth.

Once they were done they turned to go into the house, Katie was waiting for them. "I have had the bath filled." She told the woman who smiled, and all went to the bathroom, none of the women minded bathing together. An hour later they were settling in their favourite sitting room and just relaxing, snacks were produced before the six women were left in peace.

"So, plans?" Leeanne asked.

"You guys rank up, then we sit for a while, the empire is still a threat, until it implodes we can't really leave Ashford." Astra stated.

"Yeah, once the Empire is no longer a threat we are going to keep ranking until we are all SSS ranked then. We are going to the dragon realm; my kin want to meet you and I will finally get my magic dick." Jayda stated.

Frey squirmed a little and the others chuckled.

"So, a year or two?" Leeanne asked and Jayda nodded.

"At least five." Jayda corrected. Frey groaned in disappointment, she had to wait five years!

"So, I can fall pregnant and have a kid?" Leeanne asked.

Jayda nodded seeing no reason to stop Leeanne and Cait starting a family. When they were in the dragon realm her family would protect the child while they were off. In fact, she was sure her family would dote on that child the moment it was born.

Leeanne snuggled into Cait's body; Cait was a little shocked that Leeanne would even ask like this. "I think you'll look hot with a nose ring." Leeanne stated and Cait blushed.

"Not until we are in Morriston." Astra told the pair.

Leeanne grinned. "When do we go home?" she asked.

"In a month." Mia stated firmly, she didn't care too much but Astra must have a reason for saying they weren't allowed to try until they were back in Morriston.

"Why can't they start now?" Frey asked.

Astra groaned, "Seriously, learn more about the races you live with." Astra told her off. "Leeanne was in heat for 9 days; green ogres will fuck until well after the pheromones vanish just to make sure. I asked her mother just to be safe, once that is done Leeanne won't be moving much because green ogre anatomy changes a little to ensure conception."

Leeanne shifted a little, Cait's mother had taken her aside and explained exactly what would happen when Cait went into a breeding heat. It had left Leeanne curious as to what it would feel like.

~*~*~*~

Matt walked up to the training ring the next day where Cait and Astra were wrestling, Mia was throwing knives with Leeanne. Frey was with Jayda practising the unique shield fighting techniques she had stolen from Dawn. Matt watched each group for a few moments, interested in what each group was doing. He was a little cautious around Leeanne, she had no skill with weapons, but she was managing to throw knives accurately with her newly acquired throwing skill.

He was more interested in what Frey was doing, he had never seen a shield used like that before. Frey almost landed a hit but was sent flying by Jayda.

"So, fucking close," Frey complained.

"No, you weren't," Matt said as he offered a hand to get her back up.

"Let me pretend," Frey complained as she took his hand and got to her feet.

"That was interesting to watch," Matt remarked.

Frey grinned, "Yeah, I didn't come up it," she told him. "I stole these techniques from another, she's smoother at it, well she came up with it so yeah she's better at it, but I want to master this as I am sure it will add to my..." she paused and smiled as she bounced. "New skill branch just opened up."

Matt jerked in shock, he knew Frey was the God of War's apostle, she would have mastery of everything to do with her fighting style so for her to be happy about a new skill tree. "Wait, brand new?" Matt asked, a new branch meant that it hadn't existed before.

Frey nodded, "Shield fighting." She explained.

Jayda was also looking at the new skill tree she had acquired because of her weapon master skill. "Huh, three techniques I haven't figured out yet. I thought I had figured out all the possible moves when I was helping Dawn."

"So much fun, so much fun," Frey remarked as she bounced.

"I will send a message through to Dawn, maybe she should go to Morriston so we can figure out these unknown techniques together." Jayda stated and Frey nodded.

"It will be fun... oh... Erin... don't you think she could match Dawn's speed, maybe those techniques are for pairs." Frey asked Jayda, she had been trying to figure out who could pair with Dawn.

Jayda considered her for a moment then nodded slowly, "That could be true and could work, Erin has the speed and skills to pair with Dawn's shield fighting." She walked off and went to organise the letter and get Katie to send it.

"Hey, who is Dawn?" Matt asked curious, he knew that the women didn't go out of their way to learn the names of the people they taught, it wasn't because they considered everyone below them but because they taught so many. The fact they knew a specific person and were invested in their growth, it meant they had sparked their interest. It also meant potentially this Dawn held great promise and could possibly be S ranked.

Frey grinned, "Dawn Brightside. She was in the other weapon styles basic course, just a shield so she sparked Jayda's interest and then she fought Jayda who was like, awesome, try these moves, add a handle here for leverage and having a partner might help then she had me and Dawn fight as she paired with Dawn, and it was awesome!"

Matt grinned at Frey's excitement which made him make a note to look up the woman in question, he would only be able to get guild information, rank, request completion fail rate, if she were in a party or not. He could also access guild notes because the guild did make notes on people, whether they were trouble or amendable, things to keep an eye out on to prevent issues. However, a lot could be inferred from their guild record and notes.

Matt pulled out a similar shield to the one Frey usually used, "Show me some of these moves."

Frey showed the changes to her shield so that she could use the techniques then offered it to Matt to use as she pulled out a spare shield to show him the moves, she had stolen from Dawn. Matt put his shield away and put on Frey's, he frowned, the weight was more than he expected considering how she had been swinging it around.

"Sorry I don't have a lighter shield." Frey told him as she went through the moves she had stolen, and Matt copied her although he had to rest between moves as the shield was too heavy for him.

Frey was patient, it was not his fault he couldn't handle a shield built for her personal use.

Ten minutes later Jayda returned and frowned, "Take that off Matt I have a lighter shield, it was one of the prototypes I knocked up for Dawn to test." Jayda told him and Matt took it off gratefully. He then gulped down a stamina potion to restore his muscles. Frey took back her shield and watched as Jayda handed him one of the four prototypes she had made; Dawn had liked this shield the most, so Jayda was using it as her final design.

Matt put the shield on and weighed it on his arm, probably a little too light but it was for practise only. Frey and Jayda took him through the moves, and he realised he would need to work on his agility to use these skills correctly but after two hours of practising he finally got a notification that a new skill branch had opened for shield fighting.

"Hey Jayda, can I order one of these shields?" Matt asked.

"Sure, give me one of your shields and I will match size and weight. I will make a practise and an edged version." Jayda told him as she took back her prototype.

"Edged?" Matt asked and Frey brought out an edged version.

"This one is used for actual battle. Careful, the edges are sharp." Frey showed it to Matt, and he noticed that the edges had been sharpened to slice and stab.

"Damn..." Matt said as he carefully studied the shield and it's wicked edges, imagining the damage Frey could do with it. "So, can the sharp edges take hits?"

Jayda nodded, "yep, you will have to maintain the edges and work knicks out, this shield requires more maintenance than your standard shield but, Dawn says it's worth it and saved her life more times than she cares to admit."

Matt nodded; he had a habit of having a magic bag full of spare weapons but not everyone could do that. He pulled out a spare shield that he liked to use the most if his primary was out of commission.

Jayda took it and smiled as she stored it. "Give me a week."

Matt nodded and took a deep breath, "Right, I came here for a different reason."

"Ranking Cait and Leeanne." Jayda told him and Matt nodded.

As a group they went back into the house after casting cleanse on themselves and Matt and went to the sitting room they generally sat in. Matt took a cold juice and drank it down then grabbed some cookies and ate them as well.

"Feeling a little better now?" Frey asked as she grabbed a skewer and ate it.

Matt nodded, "I was not expecting a workout this morning."

Leeanne grinned as she drank some cold fruit tea. She pulled out her card and offered it to Matt, Cait did the same and Matt studied both cards and sighed as he read the solo comments next to their names. More individual S ranked people.

"So, did you all clear it solo?" Matt asked and got nods, he nodded, it meant the dungeon would be stable for a while and the upper floors would not flood.

He pulled out a device and handed both women contracts to sign first although soon the contracts would be voided as the guild master's around the known world were writing new rules along these lines to protect their people from greedy nobles and the countries would be signing them. Matt smiled at Cait's card, the provisional had been removed from her A rank having met all the guilds requirements to be A.

Cait and Leeanne signed them and handed them back, Matt then spent a few moments ranking each woman up.

"And with that, War Horses are once again an all-S rank level party, officially."

"Freaked out?" Leeanne asked.

Matt glared at her, "Since I know your races, yes." He told the room, "But I also know you as people, so no."

Jayda grinned.

"We'll be here a month then we are back to Morriston, and we will stick around there for the most part." Jayda told him and he nodded, they had no pressing jobs for them, a couple of nests but they could wait as they weren't exactly dangerous. Most of the dangerous nests were already taken care of.

Matt nodded, until the empire imploded the party needed to stay in Ashford or at least pretend to. Jayda's racial ability gave them leeway, but he would rather not have to chase them down.

~*~*~*~

Two and a half months after receiving a letter from Jayda, Dawn glanced up at the gate leading into Morriston. She had never been this far south in Ashford before, it had taken time to get here as she had tried to get escort jobs all the way.

"Never been to Morriston before?" the merchant sitting next to her in the cart asked.

"No, it's bigger than I thought," Dawn asked.

The merchant nodded, "It was built this way because of the forest of origin, a lot of dangerous monsters flood out of it, not so much since the War Horses made this their base and the Dark Elves now live in the area outside of the normal area adventurers work. But this city is designed to withstand a flock of wyverns, it has farms inside the wall, so food and a good water supply, it can withstand a lot of things." They explained.

Dawn nodded in understanding, Morriston was far away from other territories and therefor far away from assistance, they needed to hold out if they had to.

They waited their turn to be checked into town.

"Ralph welcome back," The guard said when it came to be their turn.

"Hey Geralt, how are things?" Ralph said as he got down to help with the inspection.

"Good, how was the work?" Geralt asked.

"Got some good deals and found some new suppliers," Ralph handed over his records as another guard started to check the contents of the cart.

"Who are you?" Geralt asked, Dawn was not familiar to him, he might not remember every adventurer that lived in Morriston; however he knew the high-ranking ones, and the woman in the coach's chair was high ranking probably A going by the quality of her equipment.

"Dawn Brightside," Dawn reached into her magic bag, retrieved her card, and offered it to him. He studied the card for a moment and was a little surprised to see she was solo, high ranked solos, were generally a lot more dangerous than party ranks because they were used to fighting without a person watching their back.

He returned the card, as A rank she was exempt from inspection, some might consider that dangerous, but the guild generally didn't promote people with bad character traits regardless of if they met requirements. "Welcome to Morriston."

Dawn took her card and smiled, "Thanks." She returned her card to her pouch. "Hey, what is the name of the best pub?" she asked.

Geralt smiled, "The best is the one attached to the Adventurer guild called the Bone Yard."

"Nice, I am assuming the food is good?" Dawn asked and Geralt nodded.

"And because Astra populated it..." Geralt started to say.

"The ale and cider are cold." Dawn finished and Geralt frowned for a moment before he realised that Dawn personally knew the infamous party.

"Yeah, best thing after a hot day." Geralt agreed, he considered Dawn for a moment since she knew the War Horses personally enough to know their drinking preference it was safe to assume she was no normal adventurer. "When you get to the guild, talk to Jace, he is generally in the far-right desk, he'll make sure to keep you out of trouble."

Dawn nodded, in fact in the letter Jayda had sent, had told her to talk to Jace. "Yeah thanks for telling me his desk, all Jayda said in her letter was to find and talk to Jace."

The hairs on Geralt's neck went up, Jayda had sent a letter to this woman, summoning her here, she was not a normal adventurer to have gained the attention of the powerful woman.

"All done," one of Geralt's colleagues told him and Geralt nodded and went to the office to send a description to the gate houses to let them know about Dawn.

"What was that about?" Dawn asked Ralph as she nodded to the gate house Geralt had entered.

Ralph glanced to Dawn as is other escorts chuckled. "Ah, probably not normal in places you've been, in Morriston, high ranked people like yourself, the gate guards and city guards are made aware to help facilitate and mitigate issues."

"Yeah, if you have an emergency to report you can even line jump." The woman riding beside them added.

"It also is probably because although you didn't mean to, you name dropped the leader of the War Horses." Ralph added, like Geralt he was a little surprised about her admission about a letter sent by Jayda.

"Huh, I thought Astra was the leader, mind you, the few times we went out together they never really had a structure, they all just did their own things," Dawn remarked and noticed she had the attention of the Hallows, the party she travelled with and the merchant. "Shit, I did it again," she remarked only just realising the very fact she had gone out with the infamous party was something big.

"You can fight with them?" the woman asked a little in dread, after all she had watched the party take out a bunch of armoured bulls with their bare hands.

"Kind of, they never went all out, nor did they have the need to." Dawn remarked, she was sure if they were fighting seriously, she would not have been able to keep up, after all they could all solo an S ranked dungeon and she would have to get a heck of a lot stronger before she soloes an entire S ranked dungeon.

"So, why are you here?" Ralph asked, generally he didn't ask why adventurers were going around, it was a part of why they were adventurers, they weren't confined to one place or lifestyle.

"Training, I have a, interesting fighting style, Jayda is the only person I know who can teach me and help me grow." Dawn answered as they slowly made their way through town.

Ralph frowned, so far he hadn't had a chance to see Dawn fight, the adventurers had decided since Dawn wasn't in their party they didn't know how to cooperate, so it became her job to protect Ralph and the others would deal with attacks. The only attacks they had encountered were a couple of forest wolves and some goblins which were easily dispatched. However, when they were attacked, he noticed that Dawn had taken her job seriously, standing before him with a weirdly shaped shield and her sword at the ready. Only once had she had to fight to take out a wolf which had slipped through the party, and it was dispatched efficiently.

"I thought you were a tank type?" Ralph questioned.

Dawn frowned, "I can be a tank, but that doesn't really describe my style."

"Ah, turn here," Ralph prompted, and Dawn turned the cart down a street. "See the shop with the green sign board, that's mine."

Dawn nodded and brought the horses to a stop beside the shop. She got down and turned to Ralph as his people came out to start getting their stock. Ralph handed Dawn a completion notice and to the other party so they could claim the reward.

"Come on we'll show the guild," the Hallows offered and walked the horses they had borrowed from the guild to return them. C ranks and above could borrow horses from the guild but they were responsible for them and if they died they owed the guild the cost of the horse and tack. Still, it was cheaper than owning a horse full time.

They moved through the town to the adventurers guild, the woman took Dawn into the guild and pointed out Jace for Dawn before she went to wait for her party.

Dawn walked up to Jace's counter and since he had noticed that he was being pointed out he frowned a little at Dawn. "Hi, I would like to check in." Dawn fished out her card and offered it to Jace.

"Hello, welcome to Morriston's Adventurer guild." Jace said as he took the card, he read the name and intuitively knew why he was being pointed out. He turned to the check in device and checked Dawn into the city then went to a series of pigeonholes to grab the letter that was there for Dawn. He returned to Dawn and handed her the letter and her card. "I am Jace, considering I know who that letter is from, you come to me while you are in Morriston. I will let the staff know if I am not at my desk for them to get me."

Dawn nodded; she understood that some guilds preferred specific people to deal with high ranked people which she was.

"Just so you know, I don't personally handle all high-ranking adventurers, just the ones who are potentially dangerous," Jace explained.

Dawn blushed, "I wouldn't call me dangerous."

Jace gave her a dead pan look, "Jayda personally sent for you and is training you outside of the guild training lessons." Jace explained, "so yes, potentially dangerous and potentially with a weird status."

Dawn felt someone come to stand a respectful distance behind her and although the other lines were busy, this line wasn't gaining any more people. Dawn signed, "I guess so," she told him.

"Get used to it," Jace told her, "Those six don't generally single out people, in fact I know and can list all of the people they have trained outside of guild jobs on one hand." He told her gently, letting her know that the guild no longer considered Dawn as a normal adventurer because of her association with War Horses.

Jace glanced behind Dawn, "In fact, if she was around I was asked to introduce you two, Erin," Jace gestured to the person behind Dawn and Dawn glanced back as the younger woman behind her hesitated for a moment before she walked forward. Like Dawn she had gotten a letter asking her to come back to Morriston and since she had been going around solo, having left her party, she saw no reason not to drop what she was doing and return because Jayda had asked her to.

"Dawn this is Erin, Erin this is Dawn." Jace pulled out a map as the two women shook hands in greeting. "This is a map of Morriston, list of guild approved shops on the back. I recommend Cat's Rest as your inn; tell the owner I sent you there or they won't give you a room."
"I'm staying there so I can show you the way." Erin supplied and it would be easier to talk if they weren't in the guild.

Dawn nodded and took the map and stored it.

"Show her around please." Jace asked and Erin nodded, curious as to why Jace was introducing them.

"Ah, I completed a quest," Dawn said as she gave her proof to Jace and Jace gestured for her card back, so Dawn handed it over. He spent a few moments to register the job completion to her record and get her reward.

He handed over the reward and her card, Dawn scooped up the coins and her card and put them away.

"I too need to report a completion of quest as well." Erin told Dawn who just nodded and stepped back a little.

Jace took care of the reporting and paid over Erin's reward.

"Come on, let me show you around town." Erin told Dawn and Dawn nodded and followed the younger woman. "So, basics, I am Erin, almost B rank, just need a damn aquatic monster, 18 years old almost 19, my fighting style is magic swordswoman," she explained. Dawn was impressed, going from newbie to C in three years was a feat.

"Dawn Brightside, recently made A rank, 24 years old and my fighting style is complicated, but it involves a shield and sword, just, I am not a conventional tank." She explained and Erin nodded.

Erin nodded, "Although I call myself a magic swordswoman, I'm not conventional either. So now I know why Jayda tapped us both."

Dawn nodded and took a few moments to explain how she had met the War Horses and gained their attention and Erin explained her own story and she realised what Erin had, that they both had come about their own weirdness which had gained Jayda's attention.

Erin pointed out things as they went, and they got to know each other as they walked to the Inn. "Cat's Rest," Erin introduced, "the food is good, the beds are comfortable, and they have a bath." She told Dawn as she walked in.

"Thank the Goddess," Dawn remarked, like all female adventurers she had taken the life magic course and was much happier now that she could use cleanse, but nothing beat soaking in a hot tub of water.

Kay watched the pair as they walked in, "Drumming up business won't earn you a discount." She teased the younger woman.

"Jace recommended me to this inn," Dawn explained as she handed over her card to register, she also remembered to drop Jace's name so that she could get a room, after all Jace had told her to mention his name.

Kay nodded and took the card to register her, "How long are you staying?"

"I don't know." Dawn remarked but she pulled out a medium gold coin and put them on the tray. "I am assuming you'll pay back what I don't use."

Kay nodded, "Correct and I will let you know a week before your deposit runs out."

Dawn nodded, "Can I get private time for the bath? I've been on the road for weeks."

Kay nodded, "It'll cost a medium bronze but that is doable," she turned and grabbed a key and two bags, she spent a few moments explained the pricing structure which wasn't much different to what Dawn was used to for quality inns, she fished out the bronze coin and it went into the tray. "I will have a worker come get you when the bath is free, go make yourself comfortable."

Dawn nodded and after grabbing the key and bags she went to go upstairs.

"Can I get the bath after her?" Erin asked as she put down her own medium bronze.

Kay nodded and gave Erin her key back and Erin went up to her room, a little over an hour later both Dawn and Erin were seated in the dining hall to have lunch, since they weren't here for breakfast it counted as one of their two included meals.

"Trust me, you'll," Erin started to say but paused as a plate covered with food was put down.

"Today's lunch special, slow cooked Armoured bull stew with fresh bread, enjoy." The waitress told them before she walked off to serve another table.

Dawn's mouth filled with saliva. "If it tastes as good as it looks, I am so glad I was recommended here."

"Jace only recommends certain people to this inn." Kay said as she came to sit with them, lunch wouldn't really pick up for another hour. "Which makes me wonder why he recommended you two." She remarked as her own lunch was put down, in fact both the adventurer guild and the merchant guild only recommended a certain type of people to here. Originally, she had been cautious when Jayda had been recommended here, a D rank with no reputation, until she saw Jayda's face and learnt she was a rare race, it meant Jace had sent her here for her own protection. After that Jayda and Astra were working together so it made more sense that they were in the same inn.

"Um..." Dawn started to say then glanced to Erin who simply nodded, Kay was discrete, it was a part of the reason high ranked people were referred here. "We were both asked to come to Morriston by our teacher, Jayda..." Dawn explained, and Kay's eyes went wide for a moment before she nodded in understanding and waved them off to keep them from going further, now knowing why Jace had recommended them.

"Ah, that explains it then." Kay remarked as she started to eat and get to know the two younger woman.

Dawn groaned as she chewed her first mouthful.

Erin was just as delighted, "how did you get Armoured bull?" she asked.

"Your teacher sold me some directly," Kay explained and both woman nodded understanding where Kay got the meat. "I wanted water serpent, but Jayda never lets that meat go when she has it."

Dawn nodded, "Don't ask her for five headed hydra either."

Kay nodded and they went back to eating and only chatting occasionally. They sighed when their empty plates were taken away, "so going to your teacher next?"

Dawn shook her head. "Nope, I just got here, and I know them. They will want to start straight away, and I am still road worn."

Erin shivered, "Yeah, I can just imagine that."

"I've lived it so... yeah, we'll go first thing tomorrow after a good night's rest." Dawn told her. "Also, I need to stock up on supplies."

"I can show you to the shops you want." Erin offered and Dawn nodded that would save time allowing her more time later to relax and do maintenance on her gear.

~*~*~

Erin and Dawn walked up to the gate which led to the house War Horses lived in the next morning, it was early, the sun only just above the horizon, but adventurers usually started early so they were used to it. The guard glared at them and went to order them away.

"We have these," Dawn said as she offered a medallion to the guard. Erin presented her own.

The guard took the medallions and went into his office to check them over. Once he had verified them he returned, opened the gate and let them in. "Stay here or you'll set off the alarm system." He warned them as he ducked back into the office and called for an escort. He then returned the medallions as they waited.

Arnold walked over to them; he offered them both contracts. "I am Arnold, I am the butler in charge of this house, please sign these, they are standard confidentiality contracts."

Dawn didn't hesitate, she had already signed one and saw no reason not to sign again. Erin didn't hesitate either, her parents had signed that contract, so she saw no reason not to.

"You will be added to the safe list and will be given pass bands," Arnold explained, he checked the documents and nodded, "Follow me please."

Arnold walked them into the house and into a sitting room where the six woman who lived in the house could be found.

Astra swore and tossed a coin to Jayda, "I thought you would at least have a few days rest before coming."

"Sit," Jayda said with a smile. "We won't be doing much today; we will start with you two explaining exactly why you are both here."

Dawn glanced to Erin, she had already guessed the younger woman had a few secrets, not just about her past, so she decided to start first. "I had recently split from the party I was in, I was doing a goblin subjugation, only there were orcs. I broke my sword and my lost my secondary, I had no weapons, so I started to use my shield to kill. Eventually I got through it, I made it back to town and promised to never let that happen again. So I went to a black smith, had my shield adjusted to make it easier if I needed to use it as a weapon. I then started to practise and figure out moves to use a shield as a weapon." She explained. "Jayda adjusted my shield and then showed me some moves I hadn't thought of."

"And three and a half months ago, a new skill branch opened on the Shield skill tree, Shield Fighting." Frey remarked.

"The God of skills must have been pressured by the God of war," Jayda remarked, and Frey nodded.

"After all, the skill branch opened when I was teaching Matt your moves." Frey told her.

"So, you created a skill tree?" Erin questioned and Dawn nodded a little bashfully.

"However, my shield fighting, would be stronger if I had a partner someone to fight with." Dawn finished.

Erin considered Jayda for a moment, "I didn't discover a new skill branch, I awoke a very old one." Erin told Dawn. "My previous party, we were diving an inactive ruin. I found," Erin pulled out a sword hilt. "The party thought it was trash, but I thought the hilt design was cool, so I kept it."

Dawn frowned, "I don't."

Erin sighed, "It's an intelligent weapon, it, took a while but I managed to convince it that I would be a good wielder."

"How," Dawn asked interested, intelligent weapons, were legendary and were known to be fiercely loyal to their wielder to the point that they never allowed another to use them.

"It's hard to explain, I liked to hold it, it felt, comfortable in my hand, then I hung it from my belt, don't know why I just did. Then one day, when I held it, it held me, like I said, difficult to explain." Erin explained and Dawn nodded. Erin ran magic through the hilt and a magical blade extended from the hilt to show how the sword worked, Dawn felt the hum of magic around the sword. "Most magic swords people coat their swords with their strongest attribute, this sword, I can change its attribute at will."

"Wow," Dawn remarked.

"This however, being able to do this, opened a skill tree I've found only ancient accounts of. I am bonded to this sword." Erin explained.

Dawn frowned for a moment, "How?"

Erin shrugged, "It's complicated to explain, I am sure Jayda understands what I did but she is a Sage and could probably use an intelligent weapon easily."

"Erin came to me to learn about how to handle Dragon Claw correctly after she accidently activated it and bound it to her." Jayda explained.

Dawn nodded, that made sense as someone with Sage rank she had to know a lot of things others didn't.

"However, having Dragon Claw, being able to use it means I can create magic edge and it made my old party, jealous, I couldn't be with them anymore."

Dawn nodded in understanding, she knew that happened sometimes in parties, even her party had self-destructed because they couldn't come to an agreement. For a while there she believed that parties were only temporary things until she met the War Horses and realised that they argued, didn't agree and goaded each other on, they were more family than party and she wanted that.

Erin withdrew her magic and the blade vanished; her sword went back to her hip. "So, you want us here to see if we can work together as a pair?"

Jayda nodded, "You'll understand once you see how you spar."

~~~~~~~

Next Update: 28/4/2024

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 4.5K 69
Once upon a time, there was a guy named Jay, just your average college student leading a pretty ordinary life. But one weekend, he decided to watch t...
104 11 12
Cyra lives in the City of New York. She is hired by a few and is on the run from all. One night Crya meets Esteria, and everything falls. Esteria bri...
314 14 20
When Mally Mack died, they thought that was it. No more life, no more boring desk job and even more boring existence. Imagine their surprise when the...
1.7K 101 8
From the prompt: Someone trapped in a Christmas Tree O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree! Thy candles shine so brightly! O Christmas Tree! O Christmas...