Sapphire of Espionage

By DreamyEuphoric

About a boy named Ian born with special powers of the brain., like Telekinesis and Telepathy. After an evil s... More

Chapter 1: Little sapphire
chapter 2: Telepath
Chapter 4: 06
chapter 5: how we got here
chapter 6: the escape
Chapter 7: Surviving without money

chapter 3: Test subjects

0 0 0
By DreamyEuphoric

Ian’s eyes fluttered open, a stark white light piercing the veil of darkness. His heart raced as he bolted upright, his voice tearing through the silence. “Mom!” he called out, but the echo of his own voice was the only reply.

He scanned the room...a vast expanse of sterile white, resembling a quarantine zone more than a place of comfort. Beds lined the walls, accompanied by a solitary table and chairs, all immaculate and untouched.

“Where am I? Mom? Where are you?!” Panic clawed at his throat as he searched for a familiar face, a way out, but found none. No doors, no windows, just unyielding walls that seemed to close in on him.

“Someone help!! Get me outta here!” His plea dissolved into sobs, the sound of his fists pounding against the walls punctuating his desperation. “Mom!!!”

Ian's heart skipped a beat at the sound of the little girl's voice, a whisper of resignation in the sterile room. "It's no use," she said, her tone laced with the weariness of many days spent in captivity.

"Who are you?" Ian asked, his voice echoing slightly in the vast white space.

"I'm Kaida," the girl replied, her eyes meeting his. "Or should I say Number 20." She gestured to the number emblazoned on her t-shirt, a stark contrast to the innocence of her youth.

"Oh, I'm Ian," he said, trying to piece together the situation. "Where are we?"

Kaida's gaze fell to the floor, her shoulders slumping. "I've been asking myself the same question for the past 60 days," she admitted.

"You've been here for 60 days?" Ian's voice cracked with disbelief.

"Yes," Kaida sighed, "until I've lost the hope of escaping. There is no escaping this place. We're in the middle of nowhere."

Ian's spirit, however, refused to be dampened. "Don't say that," he insisted. "We shouldn't give up. We will get out of here."

Kaida shook her head, her despair evident. "We're just two kidnapped kids. How are we going to do that? We're helpless."

Ian's resolve hardened. "Stop being a downer," he said firmly. "Our parents are going to find us. I'm sure my mom is looking for me. They will find us."

Kaida's thoughts drifted to a family she never knew. "Parents? If only I had any... I'd hope to be found too," she thought wistfully.

Suddenly, the sterile silence of the room was broken by the entrance of a masked man clad in white. Without a word, he reached for Ian, his grip firm and insistent. Ian's heart pounded as he was led through a long, white corridor, the air thick with the scent of antiseptics and fear.

The man ushered Ian into a laboratory, a stark room buzzing with the hum of machinery and the murmurs of scientists. Their eyes turned to him, dissecting him with their gazes as if he were just another specimen.

"Here's subject 05," announced the masked man, referring to the number on Ian's t-shirt.

One of the scientists stepped forward, his smile more a snarl than a gesture of welcome. "Hello, my little subject," he said, his voice dripping with unsettling enthusiasm.

Ian's mind raced, terror gripping him. He remembered the news stories, the warnings of evil scientists who preyed on children with special abilities. Now, he was one of those children, caught in a nightmare he had no idea how to escape.

Ian's gaze locked with the scientist's, his body quivering with a mix of fear and defiance. The man introduced himself as Dr. Matthew, and Ian's heart sank as he realized he was nothing more than a test subject in the scientist's eyes.

"Test subject? You want to do experiments with me?" Ian's voice was barely above a whisper, his mind racing with thoughts of escape.

Dr. Matthew's affirmation did little to ease Ian's dread. The scientist's mind betrayed his true intentions, and Ian knew he was trapped.

As Dr. Matthew declared Ian's new identity as No. 05, Ian's spirit rebelled. He couldn't accept this injustice, this stripping away of his identity, his freedom. But his outburst only provoked the scientist's wrath.

The room's atmosphere shifted as Dr. Matthew's demeanor darkened. His response to Ian's accusation was swift and cruel—a jolt of electricity that coursed through Ian's body, eliciting a scream that echoed off the lab's cold walls.

Dr. Matthew's words were a chilling reminder of the harsh reality Ian faced. This was no place of nurturing or understanding; it was a place of cold calculation and punishment.

As Ian's tears mingled with sweat, his thoughts reached out for his mother, a silent plea for rescue. In his heart, he held onto the hope that somehow, she would find him, that this nightmare would end, and that he would be Ian once more, not just a number in a scientist's ledger.

Dr. Matthew's voice was clinical, detached. "I think it's time to begin with the test," he announced, signaling the other scientists to proceed.

They approached Ian with a tangle of wires, which they attached meticulously to his head. "Close your eyes for me. This won't hurt a bit," Dr. Matthew assured him, but his words were a hollow promise.

As the test commenced, Ian's world blurred into a haze of pain, each pulse from the wires feeling like needles piercing his skull. The agony was all-consuming, and darkness mercifully took him.

When consciousness returned, Ian found Kaida's eyes upon him, filled with a mix of concern and resignation. "You're awake. How are you feeling?" she asked, her voice a soft echo in the sterile room.

"My head hurts so badly," Ian confessed, the throbbing in his skull a grim reminder of the ordeal.

Kaida nodded, a shadow of empathy crossing her features. "Been there. But lucky you, you're only tested on the brain," she said, though her words were devoid of envy.

"Lucky?" Ian questioned, the irony not lost on him.

"I get tested on the entire body. And sometimes it leaves me paralyzed for days. Super painful," Kaida revealed, her gaze drifting away as if recalling the torment.

Ian's heart sank. "Oh, I'm sorry," he murmured, the weight of their shared plight settling heavily upon him.

Kaida offered a small, brave smile. "Wanna have lunch?" she asked, changing the subject to something more mundane, more normal.

Ian's stomach growled in response. "I'm starving, so yeah," he agreed, grateful for the distraction.

Kaida and Ian found solace in each other's company, seated at a table that bore only the most basic sustenance—bread and black tea. The simplicity of the meal was a stark reminder of their grim reality.

"This food looks so plain," Ian remarked, his stomach growling in protest.

"It's better than starving to death," Kaida replied pragmatically. "For breakfast, you're going to have bread and tea. For lunch, it's a peanut butter sandwich, and for dinner, rice and some disgusting stew."

Ian shook his head. "The scientists really don't have a heart."

Kaida's hands clenched into fists, her frustration palpable. "Yes. They're really cruel. If I get my hands on them..." Her voice trailed off as she inadvertently bent a metal spoon with her bare hands.

"Wait, did you just bend that spoon?" Ian asked, his eyes wide with astonishment.

Kaida hesitated, her secret teetering on the brink of exposure. "I... I..."

Ian's mind connected the dots before she could speak. "You have super strength?!" he exclaimed.

"How did you know?" Kaida's surprise was evident.

"Duh, you bent that spoon," Ian pointed out.

Kaida sighed, resigning herself to the truth. "Fine, I do have abnormal strength. That's why I'm here; it's my special power."

Ian's eyes sparkled with intrigue. "That's so cool," he said, genuinely impressed.

"And what about you?" Kaida inquired, curious about her companion's abilities.

"I'm a side kick" Ian corrected himself. "I can read minds, read emotions, and move things with my mind."

Kaida's expression shifted to one of wonder. "You mean a psychic. So you know what I'm thinking right now?"

Ian nodded. "I only read minds when I want to. But right now, I can sense that you're having mixed emotions. Mixed with surprise, shock, doubt, and curiosity."

"That's right. Your power is super cool," Kaida admitted.

Ian's mood darkened. "But it's a curse, look where it got me."

Kaida's eyes lit up with a spark of defiance. "You could read the scientist's minds and get us out of here, you know."

Ian sighed. "It's not that easy, but you could punch this wall and get us out of here."

"Trust me, these walls are made of the hardest metal ever," Kaida countered.

"But if we work together, we might get out of here, at some point. This sounds like a job for spies," Ian proposed, a plan forming in his mind.

"Spies?" Kaida echoed, intrigued.

"Yes. I'm a spy, so join my team. Mission: escape this hell. Are you in?" Ian extended his hand.

Kaida hesitated for only a moment before shaking his hand. "Well... Sure."

Unbeknownst to them, their budding alliance was being monitored. A scientist watched them through a CCTV camera, contemplating their interaction.

"They seem to get along. Maybe we should separate them," the first scientist mused.

"No, this is good for their mental health, which makes it easier for us having healthy subjects," the second scientist reasoned.

Kaida leaned forward, her eyes searching Ian's. "So what's your big plan, 'Mr. Spy'?"

Ian straightened up, trying to muster confidence. "It's Agent Sapphire," he corrected with a hint of pride.

"Agent what now?" Kaida prodded, sensing his hesitation.

Ian's shoulders slumped. "Our plan is... it's... uhh... erh... well..."

"There is no plan, is there?" Kaida concluded, her voice softening.

Ian let out a heavy sigh. "No, I can't think of any. I'm too dumb," he confessed, the weight of their predicament pressing down on him.

Kaida's expression softened. "I'm not so much of a genius either. All I have is my brute strength," she admitted, trying to offer some solace.

Ian looked up, determination flickering in his eyes. "I just need time, I'll figure it out. Don't worry," he assured her, and Kaida could see the worry etched on his face.

Seeking to lighten the mood, Kaida shifted the conversation. "So when did you realize you're a psychic?" she asked, genuinely curious.

"A few days ago," Ian replied, a note of wonder in his voice.

"Only a few days ago? Well, I was born like this, you know. I just always had abnormal strength. My dad told me I broke his finger with my grip when I was a baby," Kaida shared, a faint smile crossing her lips.

Ian chuckled, the sound a brief respite from their grim surroundings. "Hahaha, I bet you can break a rock now."

"Of course, I can," Kaida affirmed confidently.

Ian's curiosity piqued. "Are you from around the country?"

Kaida's gaze drifted, lost in thought. "I don't even know which country we're at right now. But I can say yes, I grew up on the farms," she said, her voice tinged with nostalgia.

"I see," Ian murmured.
---
In the monotonous confines of their shared space, Ian broke the silence, "So what do we do in here, just sit and get bored?"

Kaida, with a hint of mischief in her voice, replied, "Yes, but no... I have my ways of keeping busy."

Curious, Ian probed further, "How so?"

"Well," Kaida began, her hands gesturing to the sparse room, "I use these pillows to fashion a ball, and the beds? They make fine goal nets."

Ian, a smile tugging at his lips, asked, "So you play ball alone?"

Kaida shrugged, "Not like I have a choice. But now that you're here, let's play!"

With a shared nod, they set to work, flipping beds to resemble goal nets and twisting pillowcases into a soft, round shape. Their game filled the room with laughter and shouts, a welcome respite from the dreariness, until a voice cut through their joy.

"That's enough. You have 10 minutes to arrange the room, or you'll face punishment," the voice commanded, stern and unyielding.

Ian's face fell as he muttered, "Oh no, the punishment is very brutal, we better tidy up."

Kaida nodded, her voice low, "I know. The electrocution, the walking on hot coals, and the worst one... The dark cold room."

Ian's eyes widened, "There are more punishments?"

"More like torments," Kaida corrected as they hurried to restore order to the room.

Once the room was back in its original state, they were served a meager lunch of peanut butter sandwiches and water. Ian sighed, "I'm craving pizza right now."

Kaida offered a sympathetic glance, "There's no pizza here, so eat up. Don't starve."

Ian grimaced, "I'm allergic to peanuts."

"Seriously?" Kaida's concern was evident.

"Yes. So no lunch for me," Ian confirmed.

Kaida pondered for a moment before suggesting, "How about this? Maybe we could request bread without peanut butter."

Ian's surprise was clear, "We can do that?"

"Yes, but to make requests, you have to do something in return. Then they make you choose a bunch of things you'll take in," Kaida explained, recalling the last time she had to skip a meal for an extra blanket.

"Sure, let's do that," Ian agreed.

Approaching a wall with a tiny microphone, Kaida spoke, "Hello? I'd like to make a request. Can we have bread without peanut butter next time?"

The voice responded, "Sure, but you know you have to pay for requests, and then choose your reward."

Kaida nodded, "Of course. We're ready, we can skip dinner in return."

The voice countered, "No, this time... you have to sleep in the dark cold room in return. And then your request will be granted."

Ian, sensing Kaida's fear, bravely offered, "I'll do it. This is my request after all."

Kaida protested, "No, I'll do it. The dark room isn't a good place for you."

Ian reassured her, "I promise you... I'll be fine."

"Fine then. Good luck," Kaida conceded, worry etched on her face.

...
Ian found himself enveloped in darkness, the kind that seemed to swallow sound and hope alike. The room was devoid of comfort, lacking even the basic provision of a bed or blankets. It was a place designed to instill fear and isolation, not a place for a child—or anyone, for that matter.

He settled onto the cold floor, his young mind trying to muster courage. "I'll be okay," he whispered to himself, a mantra to ward off the creeping despair. "I'm doing this for my own good." The words were meant to be reassuring, but in the pitch-black void, they felt hollow.

Memories of his mother flooded in, her warmth a stark contrast to the chill that seeped into his bones. He hugged himself tighter, trying to generate even a fraction of the comfort her embrace would bring. And then, softly, he began to sing—the lullaby she had sung to him so many times, "Little Sapphire." Each note was a thread connecting him to her, to the love and safety that felt so distant now.

In his mind's eye, she was there with him, her presence a beacon in the darkness. The melody was a bridge back to her, and he clung to it, letting it fill the room and his heart, pushing back against the fear.
---
As dawn broke, Ian was escorted back to his quarters alongside Kaida. A disembodied voice echoed through the room, "Congratulations, Number 05. You've endured ten hours in the dark chamber."

But Ian hadn't slept at all; his weary eyes betrayed his vigilance.

"Good job, Ian," Kaida murmured, her voice a mix of pride and concern.

A masked figure entered, wheeling in a cart topped with an assortment of boxes. "For surviving the ordeal you requested, you are granted four items to keep indefinitely. Choose wisely," he intoned.

He lifted the lid of the first box to reveal a book and crayons. Ian's face lit up. "Look, we could pass the time with drawing."

Kaida, ever practical, reminded him, "Remember, we agreed on bread without peanut butter."

The second box was unveiled, containing juice. Ian pondered aloud, "Choosing this means forsaking black tea."

Kaida shook her head firmly. "No."

The third box was opened to display jam. Kaida's decision was instant. "That's the one. Jam."

"I do love jam," Ian agreed, a smile tugging at his lips.

The final box revealed a soccer ball, which sparked a gleam of longing in Kaida's eyes. Ian read her mind. "A ball? You've always wanted one," he said, reading her unspoken wish.

Ian hesitated, torn. "Which should we choose?"

"The jam, without question," Kaida asserted.

"But the ball... it means so much to you," Ian protested softly.

Kaida's resolve didn't waver. "I don't mind. We'll make do with pillow balls."

Ian started to object, but Kaida cut him off. "Sir, we'll take the jam."

"Jam it is," the masked man confirmed. "Henceforth, your sandwiches will be sweetened with jam." With that, he departed.

Ian turned to Kaida, gratitude shining in his eyes. "Thank you, Kaida. You're such a good friend."

Kaida gasped, the word 'friend' resonating deeply. "Friend?"

"Of course," Ian said, his smile a beacon in the dim room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 54 25
Harper is not like the other girls. She just wants to read, graduate and go to college. But that all changes when three hot guys come in the restaura...
40.4K 1.2K 11
You are hired to be a maid for Tom Hiddleston. His girlfriend doesnt quite like you and things get turned upside down.
194 0 20
As a small boy no one really knew him. He was constantly moving from city to city he felt alone. His mom and dad split only when he was a baby so he...
1.6K 12 14
Britney is in high school. Over the summer she meets this hot guy. She starts hanging out with him, and helps him out around the town as he is new to...