Royal Fools

By greenwriter

After narrowly escaping an assassination, a new king in disguise escapes to his childhood home only to discov... More

Royal Fools
I. Once There Was A King
II. Chicken in the Kitchen
III. The Cousin
IV. A Game of Fools
V. The Winter Fairy
VI. A Bloody Murder
VII. Peace Offerings
VIII. Swooning Schemes
IX. Chores
X. Shared Secrets
XI. Once There Was a Princess
XII. Then Came the Storm
XIII. By the Hearth
XIV. The Princess Who Swims
XV. Ice and Fire
XVI. Spring's First Day
XVII. Betrothed
XVIII. The Convention
XIX. Ladies of Coulway
XX. Eris
XXI. Party in Picadilly
XXII. The Reunion
XXIII. To Swim With Fishes
XXIV. Good Night
Exclusive Content: Good Night
XXV. Bound
XXVI. The Chosen
XXVII. Belong
XXVIII. The Arrival
XXX. Fairy Tales
XXXI. Farewell
XXXII. Bargains
Exclusive Content: Bargains
XXXIII. Damsel

XXIX. Gifts

2.2K 237 22
By greenwriter

Emory's gaze remained on Lennox as his wife curtsied before him. The man was not particularly unsightly. In fact, he looked far more polished than Emory. His black hair was meticulously brushed away from his face, his brows and beard trimmed to perfection. His clothes and posture screamed order and dominance.

Lennox was not considered old, but Emory thought he was too old for Florence at forty-eight.

"I implore on your grace and benevolence, King Emory," Emperor Teodor said as he stepped in front of him again while Elene Lennox retreated. "I do not deserve such welcome for what my daughter has wrought upon you and the crown."

Emory looked over at Florence. Her head bent, she stood merely a few feet away from her new betrothed and the man's first wife. And somewhere in Gavaria, there was a second wife.

A third wife. Emory could not imagine it. Florence was supposed to shine, and she could never do so in the shadows of Lennox's wives. She was second to none.

Moving his gaze back to the Emperor, he forced a smile. "Let bygones be bygones. I hold this ball to welcome your arrival and celebrate our friendship." Moving his arm, he added, "Let us enjoy it."

And thus, the festivity began.

For the first time, he was thankful for the presence of Florence's brothers. Steffan was fast to meet Lennox and lead the man away from his sister, while Cassian escorted her to the other side of the garden with Lucy.

"What should I do?" Henry murmured beside him as they watched the Emperor take the chair beside Emory's.

"Make sure she's never alone with that man or her father," he ordered. "Her dress is causing her enough trouble as it is."

Henry took his task seriously for the remainder of the party. He inserted himself into Florence's little circle, and even pulled other Sutherlanders into the group, making an impenetrable wall.

Emory, meanwhile, had the heavy task of entertaining the Emperor. Once, they circled the garden and talked about flowers. Apparently, the man had a private garden at the back of his private chambers in Gavaria and was genuinely interested. Emory could not name all the plants the Emperor inquired about, so he might have invented a few.

Dinner was served in the grand dining hall. It was enough to let everyone get acquainted. He caught Lennox studying him a few times, his wife always standing dutifully beside him. And every time, Emory would search for Florence, and find relief that she was still with Cassian, Henry, and Lucy.

Dinner was long and arduous, but they all eventually survived it. When it was time, they went back to the garden, and the dancing began.

Never, not even once, did Emory see the Emperor approach his daughter. He talked to Steffan, and Emory supposed they discussed Florence because they both turned and looked in her direction. When the Emperor returned to his seat beside Emory, he laughed as one member of his entourage struggled to learn a Sutherlander waltz.

Then they discussed dancing, much to Emory's chagrin. He was never keenly fond of the arts, but the Emperor was.

He was particularly patient today, he wryly thought. But he had no choice. He also had to be very careful.

Finally, the Emperor started a conversation that made Emory snap in focus.

"How is Craig Martel doing?"

"He is alive," he replied.

The Emperor's face tightened as he nodded. "We have been looking for him for years. We want him back in Gavaria so he can be punished for the crimes he committed there."

Emory considered the Emperor's statement for a moment. "Prince Steffan has implored the same."

"And I hope you will grant us this one request."

"Perhaps if you grant mine."

Teodor Winchester looked at him with interest. "What kind of request?"

"I will hand over the prisoner if you give me your daughter's hand," he said, turning to look the man in the eye. "Give me the Grand Princess and you can have Martel."

The man's eyes widened in surprise and interest.

"She wants to marry me. And I want her as my queen."

But Winchester shook his head slowly. "I'm afraid that is no longer possible. I've already nulled the agreement I had with your father. The princess is set to marry Lennox."

"You mean your empire's most powerful threat?" Emory asked. A small smile formed on the corner of his lips when Winchester's jaw twitched. "Aubigny is Gavaria's biggest and most prominent territory, is it not? And Lennox practically rules your empire's strongest army."

"You've done your research."

Emory shrugged and looked away, his gaze landing on Lennox talking to his wife. "I like to study."

Winchester was silent for a long while. Emory didn't expect much tonight. In fact, he already knew the man's stand. He would never win Florence through her father, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

"Gavaria has been through many wars in the past. It took us centuries to build a peaceful empire, and I, like my father and his father before him, prefer to keep the peace even when the world around us is in chaos."

"So you choose to sacrifice your own for the peace of the empire?"

"Florence doesn't see it as a sacrifice. As the Grand Princess, she knew she has to play her part." With an innocent smile, he looked at Emory and asked, "Didn't your family do the same? Your mother's family, the Vandenbergs, sacrificed many of their blood, threw them into an orphanage, manipulated them? Just as she was sacrificed and made queen to solidify her family's power. And through their sacrifice, the Vandenbergs controlled a kingdom."

"And failed," Emory said, returning the man's smile.

Winchester sipped from his goblet and sighed, studying the guests with a mild, yet calculating gaze. "You're young to the throne, King Emory. You don't know the half of what it takes to rule. A ruler doesn't sit on top of a mountain. We sit on a raft in a swamp. You don't know the creatures that lurk underneath, so you do whatever you have to do to keep them from the surface. You sacrifice what you can to keep the raft afloat."

Emory slowly nodded, remembering the time when Florence told him about the raft and the creatures in the swamp. "I don't rule like my family. And your way is not the only way to rule a kingdom, I'm afraid." His smile widened as Winchester's brows arched in both amusement and curiosity.

"Truly? Then how would you rule?"

"Dress like the creatures I fear. I'll learn to think like them. Learn their ways. So when the time comes, I can swim with them." The amusement on Winchester's face slowly died as Emory's words sank in. "Your daughter taught me that."

***

"Both Houses are pleased," Henry commented that night.

The Emperor and his entourage had already left for Ivory House, where he insisted on staying after gracefully rejecting Emory's invitation in Cloveshire.

Emory studied the dark amber liquid in his glass. "I'm sure they are."

"Their opinion against your union with the Grand Princess remains remarkably strong. And dare I say stupid?"

"They have their reasons. Gavaria is a friendly empire, but not as powerful as the others."

"But it's huge. A union between Sutherland and Gavaria is advantageous."

"Gavaria doesn't have enough ships or artilleries to help us in war. They don't even have an army trained enough to give us aid should we need them." He shrugged. "I agree. I'd reap more benefits if I marry an English princess."

"But with Sutherland's help, Gavaria can overcome their weaknesses."

"Yes. Which is why it doesn't matter if both Houses agree or not. So stop talking about what they say, cousin. It's not helping with my plans."

Henry let out a long sigh. "I still can't believe Winchester refused you over Lennox." His cousin studied him and added, "You're not charming, but you're a bloody king."

"He fears Lennox. The man cause unrest within Gavaria if he wants to."

"I still believe you shouldn't have pardoned Florence. Well, at least not publicly. She committed a crime against you and the crown—multiple times, in fact. And as I've said, you can have her hanged. Tell the Emperor you'd rather have her head if you cannot marry her. We'll bury her next to Henrietta."

Emory shook his head, eyes focused on the crackling fire.

Pointing with a finger, Henry said, "That look on your face is scaring me."

Looking at the man, he asked, "Do you know the only thing I bonded over with my late brother?"

"Of course. Chess."

He nodded. "He taught me well."

"Whatever are you talking about?"

Emory threw his cousin a mysterious smile. "It's obvious you don't play chess."

"You look like you're planning a war. Don't tell me you're willing to risk it for Florence. You're not going after Lennox, are you?" When Emory didn't answer, Henry prodded. "Cousin. Are you going after Lennox?"

"No. Not really." With a motion of his head, he ordered, "Call for the Clover."

***

Florence did not sleep well that night. Not that she ever did since her brothers arrived in Sutherland. But particularly last night. Her father retired early, tired from yesterday's festivities.

She knew his wrath would come the next day, and she dreaded it.

Thus, she stayed in her room that morning. She dressed and ate there with Lucy, who told her she looked like death reborn.

"There are dark circles under your eyes. Have you seen yourself in the mirror?"

"Yes. Unfortunately, the only thing lacking is the lack of life." She looked out the window and groaned. "When do you suppose he'll call for me?"

"Soon, I trust."

"Have you seen him?"

"Are you bloody insane? I've been avoiding his shadow the entire morning," her cousin said.

"He will not scold you. The least he'd do is tell you how your mother is waiting for you in Gavaria with her own wrath."

Her cousin swallowed, blood draining from her face. "Please don't talk about my mother."

Florence sighed and paced the room, hands on her hips. "I'll simply tell him I'm sorry and that I shall return to Gavaria and marry Lennox."

"Good. That's all I needed to hear."

Florence and Lucy jumped on their feet with a cry of surprise. Standing in the doorway was her father. He walked into the room, followed by the Empress.

Florence's jaw tightened when she saw the woman. Heart still pounding in her chest, she turned to her father and said, "There. I said it. When are we going home?"

She couldn't say she was close to the man. He had never been a father to her. He had always been the Emperor, even to his own children.

Perhaps such was the case with people like her.

He was an emperor, and she was just one of his many children. But now and then, he would call for her and they would spend some time in his garden.

He never asked her about what she wanted. What she liked or what she dreamed of. But he always made sure she knew what he wanted from her. What he aspired for her. He imparted lessons, most of which she never understood, and some she found useful as she grew up.

There were no kisses shared between them. No warm embrace. She couldn't even remember ever having touched him.

The only thing she liked about their relationship was the honesty. He always told her the truth, and she could always tell him what's on her mind. But that didn't mean they never held secrets from the other.

And maybe that's the reason he looked disappointed as he watched her cross the room and offered him a deep curtsy.

"Steffan told me you're remorseful."

"I am, Father," she murmured, staring at the floor.

"He also told me that you have learned your lesson."

She didn't know why Steffan would say that, but she nodded anyway.

"He locked you in this room for two weeks. I suppose that's enough time to reflect on your mistakes?"

She frowned at the speck of dust. "Y-Yes, Father. Two weeks." She dared look up at the man. "He deprived me of everything. It was a just punishment."

From the corner of her eye, she saw the Empress scrutinize her expression.

"You must know, Florence, that your actions almost cost us your life. And worse, a war we couldn't win."

She nodded, eyes cast downward. "I understand.'

"Your mother is heartbroken back in Gavaria," the Empress said, and that finally broke Florence.

The thought of her mother, the only person she regretted ever leaving behind, twisted at her heart. Hot tears streamed down her face and her shoulders shook.

"You have broken every palace rule," the Empress continued, voice stern and cold. "That being said, you can no longer return inside."

She froze and her eyes flew to her father for an explanation.

The Emperor stared at her with sympathy, but there was nothing he could do. Palace rules would remain superior. "It is fortunate that you are marrying Lennox. Once we reach Gavaria, you will go straight to Aubigny with Lennox where you shall stay until the wedding."

That's why Lennox was here.

Her father stepped closer and Florence thought he would touch her, comfort her in a way. "But palace rules dictate that you cannot see anyone from within for the time being."

She stared at him in disbelief. "You're banishing me from the palace."

"For the time being."

"But my mother—"

"You cannot see her."

Her knees buckled, and she stumbled back. "Then send her to Aubigny. I need her—"

"Perhaps you should have thought of that before you ran away," the Empress said.

Florence glared at the woman, vision blurred by angry tears. But she said nothing because to say anything against the Empress could lead to grave consequences.

"Once your banishment from the palace is lifted, you can arrange for your mother to visit you in Aubigny," the Empress said, the look in her eyes daring Florence to protest, taunting her to make one more mistake.

"The ship is being prepared for our journey back home," the Emperor told her. "It will take a week or two. For the time being, if you continue to be in your best behavior, we shall have no problem." He cocked a brow in Lucy's direction. "That includes you, child. Your mother is eagerly waiting for your return."

Florence and Lucy remained stiff until the Emperor and his wife left the room. Once they were alone, Florence fell to the floor, devastated. She would have preferred a dramatic encounter. She was prepared to be screamed at, to be scolded with scathing words.

But no. They chose to deliver her punishment in the way they knew would hurt her the most—her mother.

"Lucy," she choked out, clutching her cousin's hand. "I can't breathe."

Lucy's arms closed around her and she turned to bury her face in her cousin's neck.

"What happened?" Cassian's voice asked from the door. "Flo?"

"She's banished from the palace," Lucy informed Cassian.

Florence felt her brother's hand on her shoulder before he gently pulled her away from Lucy. As he gathered her in his large embrace, Florence draped her arms around his shoulders. "Cass, my mother... They say I can't... I don't..."

"It's alright," he whispered, rocking her in his arms. "You'll see her. I'll talk to Mother."

"She won't let it. She hates me."

"Well, yes, she does. But she adores me," he said in a jesting tone. "Hush. Stop crying."

"I shouldn't have left."

Her brother was quiet for a moment before he sighed. "I don't know about that. You had a grand adventure."

It took a while for the tears to stop. Her brother rang for tea and forced her to finish a cup before he faced Lucy and grinned, "Well? Did they tell you about your punishment?"

Lucy blanched. "No. Only that my mother is waiting."

Cassian laughed. "Oh. Scary, isn't it?"

"Shut up," Lucy growled.

Florence reached for Lucy's hand. "I'm sorry. This is all my fault."

"Don't be. I went willingly. And my mother wouldn't kill me," Lucy replied, although she gulped after the last two words left her lips.

"But she'll probably find a way that will make you wish she did," Cassian said with a laugh.

Lucy rolled her eyes at him. "Why are you here, anyway?"

"To share a little gossip, that's all."

They blinked at Cassian. "Which one?" Lucy asked.

"Apparently, my mother has ordered one of her ladies-in-waiting to visit the king tomorrow night."

Florence stiffened.

"To do what?" Lucy asked.

Cassian looked at Lucy as if he didn't recognize her. "You can't be serious, Lucy." But Lucy just blinked at him. "You don't know what that means?"

"No." Lucy turned to Florence for the explanation she needed.

"For his forgiveness, the Empress is sending a gift of gratitude to the king," Florence murmured.

Lucy's eyes widened as understanding sank in. "Can the Empress do that? I mean, here in Sutherland?"

Even Cassian was waiting for her reply. "I suppose she can," she said, voice barely a whisper. "He'll accept the visit if he wants, or refuse it if he doesn't."

_____________________

A/N

Sorry for the late update! As I've previously said, I'll be very busy this month. But fret not, my dears because I've already written two more chapters ahead of this one. For now, you'll be getting the weekly updates. We're very near the end, by the way. If my outline is correct, this story will have 33 chapters. Four more chapters, I guess, and we'll be done!

I didn't expect to have so much fun with this story. It saved me from a slump, to be honest. I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

J.D. Ruiz

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Smeared By Sam

Historical Fiction

73.3K 4.8K 28
A pair of fraternal twins are taken into a prestigious noble family to maintain good face in the snobbish aristocracy. When the brother suddenly fall...
107K 3.2K 39
In a ransom deal gone terribly wrong, Florence Blackmore is swept away from her home in the Victorian countryside and made to test her darkest limits...
2.7M 91.9K 23
When the arrogant stranger Bess is forced to marry unexpectedly becomes a duke, she'll find herself at odds with her growing feelings as he hunts for...
9.6K 312 12
"My heart ached for her when she wasn't near, but it skipped a beat when I saw her." It is Elizabeth Johnston's second debutante, she finds it press...