No Journey Too Small (G/T)

By DrAnonymous-FFG-201

It was supposed to 'fix' me. Cure anyone else who was like me. 'Fix' apparently has quite different definitio... More

CH1- So It Begins
CH2- And Now It Ascends
CH3- A Lonely Soul
CH4- And A Broken Ghoul
CH5- Keeping My Cool
CH6- Forward Unto The School

CH7- A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

17 1 0
By DrAnonymous-FFG-201

(POV Isaac)

I knew it.

Jack showed signs of it.

He found someone else for 'testing' as he calls it.

The 33rd failed escape wasn't really an attempt at all. It was a ruse, to tick Jack off.

What does Jack do when he's ticked off? He messes with us.

But most importantly, that sadistic idiot spills whatever he's been doing and ends up telling everything to us by accident.

It was a dangerous way of recon, and I hated it.

But we needed to know.

And now we did.

Most people would think that Jack broke us over the years. That we'd given up. That there was no hope left. They would think that the sheer helplessness would give us trauma. It did, but we helped each other. We cared for each other. And we saved each other.

Not from Jack. We didn't need saving from him.

We saved each other from losing hope.

We made each other believe.

That'll make a good chapter intro for a book if we ever get out of here, I thought to myself as I and Connor were dropped back in that stupid dollhouse again.

"Delta One, Four, you alright? You've been gone for 2 hours..." Ava said with her monotone voice.

The look on my face was enough to tell them the bad news

"Who'd he find now?" Charlie whined while Connor and Claire held back tears. Everyone is at breaking point. I will get everyone out of here. Or no one leaves.

We were never broken. We have been shattered, yet we stand unbroken.

We organized ourselves, for the greater good. We are Delta Squad. We might not be much, but it's enough to make a stand against Jack. At least morally. It's not really some force, more of a resistance. Of course Jack doesn't know. He thinks we keep quiet and stay hopeless, but the fool never noticed that we used gestures and body language for communication around him.

We are more than a bunch of prisoners.

I'm Isaac-004. Delta One. I'm the first test subject of Jack and the leader. I've been stuck here for two years. All I can say is that we are now more of a family than a team. My friends honor me as the commander of Delta.

The expression on Delta Two, Charlie-209 was grim. Tall, strong, and resilient. He's our muscle. No one resisted Jack more than he ever did. He's the fighting spirit of Delta.

Delta Three tried to smile. But Ava-034 couldn't, and it came out being more of a grimace. That's Three for you. Logical. She's our recon specialist(She came up with that). She's the vigilant eye of Delta.

Delta Four, my little partner, was at the verge of tears. They were tears of pain, but some of them were tears of joy. He had made those plans, and Jack played right into his hands. Connor-318 deigned lots of our previous failed escapes, but this time it'll be different. He's the true genius of Delta

At last, my eyes fell on Claire-319. As much as I wanted to comfort our dear Delta Five, it was no use. She might have been young, but she understood her hatred well. And she longed for vengeance more than a safe escape. Caring and soft, but lethal when around Jack. She is the most peculiar member of our team. She's indomitable. We call her the merciless wrath of Delta.

Jack might have thought us hopeless. He might have tried to tell himself that we're powerless.

We're not.

We might have been mere 'test subjects' for Jack. And being 20 times smaller, he held all the power. But he didn't hold our minds. As long as we had those straight, we had the key to our prison.

A prison that's about to get another member.

"This is not what we wanted, but it's what happened. Charlie, let's clear that room beside yours. Divide everything into your respective rooms so that Jack doesn't notice the extra stuff. Three, make sure that the resources stay hidden." I said while calming them all down. She didn't respond.

"Ava."

"Isaac, who is it?"

"Ava. It's... it's Amy. Amy-142. One of the special cases."

"Let's make sure we're on the run by then. We'll snatch the first chance, and Connor's plan will work. It has to. We'll take that Amy too, and we'll expose that freak for good. We'll- we-"

"Ava, please. We need you. I need you."

"Sorry, One. I... zoned out. Won't happen again."

"No problem. We're here to solve each other's problems. You can say whatever you want freely. Remember that."

Using our callsigns had become as normal as using our names.

I'm not going to let that continue. When the time comes- and come it will- we will escape. And Jack will be left with his scientifically idiosyncratic dreams in a real prison.

I helped everyone into their rooms, and once the extra items had been hidden safely, I went to sleep myself. Outside the rumblings of Jack on his bed were quite audible. Looking on my not-so gigantic roof, I lay on my bed thinking. That's all we've done whenever we're not trying to survive Jack. We think. I don't have to get out of here. WE have to get out of here.

We'll do it.

I know we will.

There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.

---

(POV Jack)

(Monday, On the day of school)

What am I doing?

Is this 'nice' Jack behavior good enough? Is anything amiss?

I saw her. Amy-142, my future test subject seemed to be perfect for testing. Just one problem. She's with Emma. That girl who literally is drunk on sincerity and sweetness the whole time. We used to be friends when Isaac was... alive. They thought him dead. It just made my job easier.

But you know what? I and Emma are still friends. So if she's careless enough, one disappearing Amy and no one should notice. Right?

Wait, what's that noise?

Is it a scream?

Is it a kangaroo?

It's Ebony, our resident boombox. The one who talks faster than lightning and gawks over the the shrunken while calling them 'cute'. In hindsight she calls pretty much everything including her Math textbook cute, but it's getting on my nerves.

And of course she attracted a crowd.

142's probably in trouble. No way can Emma and Ebony control that mob. But why should I bother? Chaos would practically make my job easier. It always has. People tend to not notice small things in chaos.

And then it hit me.

If my test subject gets hurt or worse, I can't capture her. Worse, Isaac would make me look like a fool if I didn't capture her.

Fine. I'll save them.

I pierced right through the crowd, and saw Amy fall. Adrenaline rushed to my head as I grabbed her and yelled for the idiots who tried to damage my test subject to escape. Then, despite wanting to restrain the 3 inch frame, I gave it back to Emma.

"Well, what are you numbskulls waiting for? SCATTER!?!"

We have a bit of a fighter here...

Still, I tried to keep up with my act. It's easier to pretend to be nice if you don't have your target right in front of you.

"Sorry about that. Most of 'em haven't seen anyone downsized for a while. I'm Jack, by the way. Jack Hood. Are you alright?"

"It's okay. I'm Amy, by the way."

Amy-142, I told myself mentally.

"As in Amy Edwards?"

"How'd you know...?"

Yes, I know your surname. I know pretty much everything.

"Well, my mom-"

RIIIING!

That stupid bell caught me off guard. Someday, I'll rip that monstrosity of a machine and burn it. But of course Amy was affected more. She nearly fell back on Emma's palm and clutched her ears over her headphones.

Just like Isaac used to.

Ms. Anders had told us not to mention Isaac and his 'mysterious' disappearance to Amy at any cost. She unknowingly made my job even easier, as Amy would trust me instantly when she realized Linda Hood's my mom and there would be no fear of the whole Isaac disappearing fiasco to hold her back.

"Good morning everyone! It's so..." Bla Bla Bla

Whatever.

Same speech as ever.

I diverted my attention to check my plan. I thought of gaining Amy's trust and whisking her to my little prison when no one was looking. That's easier than observing her while being untrustworthy and then attempting a risky getaway.

What I didn't consider was the amount of time this would take.

Ebony sat right in front of Emma and Amy, and launched into another conversation. I know that, because I could distinctly hear the word 'cute' now and then.

What I wouldn't give to stay away from Ebony and her talk.

"Jack, you're partnered with Ebony. First seat."

Life is often disappointing.

But I just decided to stay quiet and sit beside the one person I didn't want to sit with, as it brought me closer to my target. Before I could even start a civilized conversation, Amy spoke up from the table, sitting on a miniature chair designed for her size.

"How'd you know my name?!"

"Uh... I saw your name in some files. Files my mother maintained about you...?"

Hopefully that made some sense.

"Huh? WHAT?"

"I-I mean she maintained files about all the downsized people in general!"

"What is she, some kind of sick spy?"

Okay, let's get this straight.

"No... Does the name 'Hood' ring any bells?"

"It does, but that's irrelevant-"

"My mother's name is Linda Hood."

I smiled involuntarily as her face changed. That singular name earned her trust instantly. Capturing this test subject will be a piece of cake.

"Oh- I'm... sorry! I didn't realize that!" She exclaimed, almost choking.

"Nah, it's fine. Looking forward to school with you!"

"Same here."

"So... friends?"

"Nope. Not yet."

Seriously?! Without hesitation?!?

"That's fine, trust must be earned, not asked for."

---

NO. NO. NO.

This can't be happening. All that planning, all the scheming- all gone to waste.

This second ACSD kid spells disaster for my plans.

Improvise. Adapt. Capture two new test subjects.

How hard can it be?

"Everyone, welcome the newest member of out class, Nick!" Ms. Anders spoke up.

Hm... I think that's Nick-092. I'll check the files ASAP tonight.

"Hi everyone, I'm Nick E-"

RIIIIIING

"As I said, I'm Nic-"

RIIIIIIIIIING

"Ok, as I-"

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

As much as I refrained from it, the scene was too funny not to laugh. My laughter stopped when I found out that this Nick was supposed to sit with Amy, right behind me.

"Uh- hello?" Nick spoke tentatively as he settled himself.

Would someone start a conversation?

I was mistaken.

Fine, I'll do it myself.

"Well, aren't y'all the most talkative?" He said as Ms. Anders came back momentarily to place his phone on the table as well.

"Sorry for them, I'm Jack. Nice to meet you!" I piped up, giving the others a 'deal with it' glare.

The message got through and we became friends. Or as close as I can pretend to be a friend.

---

This is a nightmare.

First, two test subjects, and now this merciless Math worksheet.

Sometimes I feel that Isaac is lucky because capturing him prevented him from suffering this. Then I remind myself that I captured him to trap him the same way they trapped mom.

I heaved a sigh of relief and turned back to see Emma asleep. How did she complete that worksheet and have the time to go to sleep as well?!

"How on earth did you guys do that thing so fast? And how did Emma do it?" I asked while shaking her awake.

"Let's just say Emma's sheet was a community effort." Nick responded.

"That's... one way to put it." Emma said as Ebony stifled a giggle.

Ebony opened her mouth again but Amy fiercely interjected, "NO. CUTE."

Thanks for saving me from that...

---

Math went by like butter. English went by like butter. And now as the lunch break started, Nick's departure went by like butter too.

I wanted to scream and pull my hair and then capture both of them. But this needs TIME.

---

Lunch went by smoothly, minus Ebony bothering Amy the whole time. What could possibly go wrong?

---

A lot could possibly go wrong.

Ebony was always freaking out over the smallest of things, and that recent implosion inside the test tube she was holding didn't help to calm her down. Amy was completely soaked in vinegar when the jar without a lid crashed right in front of her and swept her a few inches. Looking at her face, she was probably wondering what she was soaked in.

I'll take this as another opportunity to gain trust.

"It's vinegar, why do we even have that here? You alright?" I chimed in.

"I'm fine. Better ask drama queen first." She said brusquely while getting up and trying to get as much vinegar off of herself as possible.

"Ebony says she's fine."

"Are you sure this stuff I'm soaked in is vinegar?"

"Mostly."

"Get rid of it."

"The vinegar?"

"The Ebony."

I was left speechless at that response, and opted to laugh alongside Emma. Inside, I was freaked out. If she was normal sized, she'd be pretty lethal. Noted.

---

Amy dried herself on a small towel and we all got out of the campus together. Ebony apologized yet again and boarded a bus while I said my byes and sped off on my bicycle.

From the distance I saw Emma and Amy entering a car, and I knew that I'll soon find out where she lives.

For now, I need to go back to base.

---

(POV Isaac)

Jack came back earlier home than usual. Usually he would hang out with friends and be too tired to mess with us, and honestly? We all preferred that.

"Jack's home. ETA 30 seconds." Ava spoke from her perch in the attic. She always liked higher places, and if given a sniper rifle, she'd be the perfect marksman.

"Alright team, brace for it. He'll probably shake up the place so hold onto something!"

Jack entered the room quickly and closed the door with a thunderous bang. But he never came near to the dollhouse.

"Delta Three. Report!"

"He's looking at the files frantically. Something's wrong."

"That's strange. This never happened before- be prepared for anything, and-"

"Isaac?" Jack said while looming above the miniature house. I silently gulped, and went upto the front door where Connor pulled my arm back.

"It'll be alright, don't worry." I said reassuringly to him, though in reality I just wanted to pacify myself.

"What do you want?" I asked the second I came out. "What? Did you get your new test subject?"

The look on his face was enough to answer me, but he responded with a sneer.

"Isaac dear, clear another room will you? It seems Nick-092 is keen on keeping your company."

"I don't see anyone here."

"Not yet. But soon, you will. Get back inside. Ladder's off limits today- I need to modify my plans."

Without giving a reply, I stormed back inside but was instantly pinned to the ground before I could get past the front door.

"Isaac, you will behave or you will pay. Remember that."

And then he let me go, clearly not having enough time to deal with me and the new situation he was in.

There was no need to tell the others. They'd heard it loud and clear. And silently, another room was cleared yet again. Nick-092 was one of the 'normal' cases like us. Maybe he and Amy would help them in their escape? Maybe not?

I just hope that Jack's stupid act gets caught and we're freed from here. Else, we have a contingency plan in place...

No time for doubt. This time, it'll be flawless. Lucky escape number 034.

I just hope this Nick and that Amy can evade him long enough. Or they'll end up same as us. Hopefully they don't trust Jack. Hopefully they stay aloof. Hopefully.

But Jack is a Wolf In Sheep's Clothing.

Better yet, he's a Creep In Sheep's Clothing.

----------

Let there be ISAAC... sporting another Frigate class chapter! (2647 Words)

(I refer to sub-2000 words as 'Frigate' class chapters and sub-6000 as 'Heavy Cruiser' class chapters.)

Greetings!

It's been a not-so-long while, but chapter 7 is up now. A short chapter, to clear up what's going on in Jack's head and what Isaac and company really are like- nothing of the giving up sort of people.

If you find any mistakes please don't hesitate to point them out, as they will only improve the story!

I would love to hear your views, or even what you think is going to happen...

092?

Thanks for reading!

----------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

937 32 11
yes i changed the name again! There is just a ln Arlene sketch on tye cover because my lazy ahh can't get the cover done 😀 Arlene Anderson's life is...
38.5K 538 22
Ladies and Gentlegiants! Come with me to faraway lands where people of strange sizes live. Will they be nice? Will they hurt you? What fantastic -or...
17.9K 486 24
Oliver is your average borrower, three inches tall, forgetful, and had GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and never seen. But one night while borrowi...
186K 4.2K 70
Tess is exactly like every other teenage girl Yet this human didn't live where you'd expect, actually an entire other world all together. Earth havin...