Parallel

By uncaffeinated

Have you ever had those moments? When you are sitting under the tree, when you are sipping your morning co... More

Disclaimer
First Parallel: TO DUST
Teaser
Second Parallel: Yesterday
Third Parallel: 1975
Fourth Parallel: 2017
Fifth Parallel: Con Te Partirò
Fifth Parallel: Con Te Partirò II
Sixth Parallel: 1996
Seventh Parallel: Thank you, Sir
"Thank you, Sir" Part II Teaser
Eighth Parallel: Thank You, Sir (Part II)
OG Parallel
Twelfth Parallel: Narra 🏡

Tenth Parallel: 2024

2.5K 68 123
By uncaffeinated

"I love you, and that's the beginning and end of everything" - F. Scott Fitzgerald

***
GREGGY's POV:

She's extending! Without even asking me if that is okay! She just decided upon herself that she's going to spend five more days to that fucking farm in Bukidnon! Five more fucking days!!!

Which is why.. I am mad! Beyond mad!
And she's what? She's thinking that I'll just accept her decision as it is? Ganyan na lang? No talking to me first, no asking for permission! Basta na lang!

I've received several missed calls from her but I am not in any mood to even answer her. What for?

'Dad? Hey.. I'm leaving, you okay?'
"Yes. Si Andy?"
'Nasa room nya na, and Dad? Tumawag si Mama, hindi ka daw sumasagot sa tawag nya. Can you please call her back?'
"Alfonso.."
'Dad.. ako kukulitin ni Mama, sige na. Awayin mo na lang, but just call her back, please.'

Magaling lang naman ang nanay mo kapag ka gusto nya! Nakaka inis!

But to stop her from bugging Alfonso, I am calling her.. once and for all.

What time is it now? It's almost four in the afternoon. Ano na naman ang sasabihin nya? Na wala siyang signal! Yet the pictures of this trip of hers from all over the internet is showing otherwise! Hindi nya nga bitawan ang cellphone nya! Putangina!

I am more irritated that it keeps ringing but it's taking her forever to answer my call!

'Daddy? Hi! I was calling you, kanina pa'
"You do not have to call Alfy"
'You're not answering my calls ehh. Are you mad?'
"Mad? Irene! You are trying to put things lightly! Am I mad? Why the hell would I be mad? Tama lang naman ang gagawin mo, right?"
'Daddy.. we do not have to fight, please?'

Does it look like I want us fighting? Eh siya ang matigas ang ulo ahh!

"Please? Who's making decision out of whim? Ako ba?"
'Daddy naman.. kasi sila Xandra, ang mga bata.. ilang araw lang sila makakapag stay? Almost three days lang. Walang kasama si Luis, kaya lang naman ako mag e extend. It's not like ibang tao ang kasama ko'
"How about me? Ako ba Irene.. naiisip mo ba ako? Sinong kasama ko o kumain na ba ako? Si Luis, walang kasama? Anong tawag mo kay Xandra at sa mga bata? Eh ako? Nasaan ang asawa ko, sige nga?"
'Daddy naman.. this is too far, kaya ko lang naman sinabi na you do not have to join us. That's all'
"Malayo pala ehh! All the more reason para umuwi ka na! Is that so hard to understand?"
'You are making it sound as if I'm doing something wrong here, Greggy!'
"No! You know what I'm trying to say? I am making it sound as if you don't love me anymore!"

And when silence is all that's left between us, I decided to end the call. No I love you, no goodbyes.

It's rare for Irene and I to get into a fight. So much more so, a fight over the phone. But today, we did.

And it's not fun.
I wanted to call her back to say sorry, but I need her to also realize that she's wrong this time.

Dinner time came and she hasn't called me yet.
Ganyan na lang talaga? Galit na rin siya?

I don't know if I'd be able to catch some sleep. Hindi ako sanay matulog na magka away kami ni Irene ehh.

I keep tossing around until I get up because finding sleep is a lost cause! How is it that she's not missing me? Bakit parang ako lang ang nahihirapan?

When I open the door, Danica is standing outside.

"What the-"
'GA.. gatas po.'
"Ano? Bakit ka nakatayo lang dyan?"
'Kasi naman boss, kakatakot naman po ako, binuksan mo ang pintuan bigla'

Now it's my fault, goodness!

"What is that?"
'Dala daw po ng gatas sayo sabi ni Mam, gatas at cookies at saging. Ipasok ko po sa loob?'
"No need, ikaw na lang kumain nyan"

If she's here, she wouldn't have to ask Danica to bring me that freaking milk! Hindi ko naman kailangan na alagaan ako ng ibang tao.

Ang kailangan ko.. asawa ko.

***
April 6, Saturday- Irene's 6th day at Tuminugan Farm

It's been six days! SIX!!!!
And we slept last night ng magkaaway kami! That's the first time.. in years! All for what? Sa leche na farming na yan!

With my mood still sour, I turn to wake up Andy.

"Andy? Andyboo? Wake up, it's seven already"

Bakit ang hirap gisingin nito? Manang mana sa Baba nya!

"Andy.."
'Wowo! It's Saturday! Today is Saturday. I don't have to go to school. It's too early'

Irene asked Andy to sleep with me until she gets back. And I'm okay with that. Kaya lang, mas okay lang sana kung kami ni Irene ang magkasama.

"Ohh.. you didn't tell me. Not my fault."
'Didn't tell you? That when it's Saturday, there's no school? Make it up with Baba, you're miserable. I'd go back to my room, is that okay? I wanted to sleep some more'
"Make it up with Baba? How did you know we're-"
'Fighting?'

Shit! Well.. yeah?

'She called me on facetime last night. She wanted to see you daw. But your back's on me, so she saw just your back. Just make it up, okay? It's not cool that you're fighting. Love you!'

Just my back! Just my freaking back! Bakit hindi nya ako tinawag? Lagot sakin mamaya ang Andy na to ehh!

But she called. And she asked Danica to bring me my after dinner snack.. she still loves me?

As if by luck, I saw Alfonso just as I am going out of the room.

"Alfy? Are you going out?"
'No, Dad. Dito lang ako sa bahay, why?'
"Go out. Punta ka sa Batangas, ayaw mo? And you can use my car"
'Your car? The Audi?'
"Yeah.. no issue"
'But there's always an issue. Aha! You'll use me as your bait? Para magkabati na kayo ni Mama? No waaaaay, Dad! No way! Kilala kita!!'

That might have been my plan, pero masama ba yun? Nanay nya naman ang kaaway ko ahh!

"You're of no help, Alfonso!"
'Bakit mo kasi pinayagan? Tapos ganyan ka'
"Magagalit nga if I said no! Ano ng gagawin ko?"
'Then wait for Mama to come back. Ang simple, Dad. Ano ba yan'
"Palibhasa wala kang asawa"
'Ouch! Hey Dad! That was personal and mean.. but you know what? Okay lang. Ikaw nga may asawa, kaaway mo naman'

But not for long! We will be okay!
I know that tomorrow is Xandra and the kids' flight to Bukidnon. I need to get Irene to agree to me coming with them! I need to come up with a plan ASAP.

***
I know that she hates it whenever I have no one with me, so might as well I use that?

Right? I should call her, right? Damn! Why do I need too much convincing!

On the third ring, she answers. Finally!

'Daddy?'
"Mommy, good morning"
'Morning, Dadad. Kumain ka na?'
"Not yet, you?"
'In a few minutes siguro. I'm just waiting for Luis. May food ka na?'

It's now or never, Greggy! Mamaya wala na naman signal ang asawa mo!

"Mommy? You know.. kawawa ako"
'What? Why?'
"Si Andy! Nagpa gising ng maaga, I have to wake up early tuloy, wala naman pala pasok. Also si Alfy. Sinabi ko ng wala akong kasama mamaya kasi pupunta si Andy sa mga lola nya sa San Lorenzo, pero aalis pa rin. And he's going to use my car, Mommy! Paano ako? Wala na nga ako kasama, wala pa ako sasakyan"

Please.. let it work!

'Greggy...'
"And so Xandra, Mommy! Aalis sila bukas, yung pet na turtle ni Thalia, ako pinag aalaga! Can you imagine?"

Well.. dinala ni Xandra dito kahapon, para daw may magpa kain. But, because ako ang nasa garden ngayon.. that would be me, right? I'm not really lying!

'What?'

"I can show you.. open your facetime, I'll show you Thalia's pet"

Damn! I am walking as fast as I can! I need to find that turtle!!

***
When we switched to facetime, my mood changed instantly when I saw my wife!

"I miss you, Mommy"
'I miss you too. Where's the turtle?'
"Here! Look, Mommy! Anong gagawin ko dyan? That thing looks scary, I'm telling you! Kung kagatin ako nyan? Magpapa vaccine pa ako. Ang init pa naman ngayon"

'Dadad.. it will not bite you. Also, you don't have to feed the turtle yourself. Hindi rin yan nakakatakot. Alaga nga ng apo mo, diba? Go back inside na, kung mainit'

Fuck! It's not working!!!!!

"Flight na nila Xandra tomorrow. Do you need anything from here?"
'Wala naman, Daddy. Just be safe, pwede?'
"I can go with them, no problem with me. I can help Xandra with the kids"
'But it's too hot here, Daddy. Diba I told you? Ayoko nga kasi baka magka ubo ka na naman. Ilang araw na lang naman, pauwi na ako. Just wait na lang ha?'

At this point, I know I've lost my battle.
Ayaw ehh, anong magagawa ko?

Baka iba na gusto na kasama, kaya ayaw na kasama ang asawa nya! Baka maraming mas bata don o kaya macho o hindi mabilis magka ubo na kagaya ko!

'Daddy?'
"Sige na. I might be taking up too much of your time, just enjoy"
'Daddy..'
"Bye"

For second straight day, I ended the call without telling her that I love her.

***
April 9, Tuesday- Irene's 9th day at Tuminugan Farm

I've spent nine straight days without my wife!

NINE.

And if I may add, she doesn't seem any bit of fazed by the distance between us! Parang wala lang! Normal lang sa kanya ang lahat! Now I'm really starting to wonder if this is the prize I have to pay for what happened to us last year.

Shit happened. I was stupid, but I swear.. when I told her that we're moving on from that phase of our lives, I meant it.

Because right now, it is either that she's too cool with us not spending time together anymore or she's not interested to do anything with me at all.

And I'm beginning to get even more frustrated because I noticed, just like everyone else around us.. that I am clinging to her more than how I would usually feel.

I miss my wife. I just really miss my wife.

Also! It's not helping that this devil of a niece of mine is constantly sending me pictures of Irene's trip from the internet! She also pointed out that this whole training is a good 7-day program. So why is my wife in Bukidnon for 10?

I'm drowning myself to my own thoughts when Jackie came rushing out of the kitchen.

'GA!!!'
"What is it, Jackie? Akala mo ka naka kita ng multo dyan"
'Si Bailey po kasi eh..'
"What's with Bailey? Sabihin mo pala kay Roman, paliguan yan ha, si Gonza at si Athena rin. Magagalit si Irene kapag umuwi yun bukas na-"
'Si Bailey po, ayaw na gumalaw'

FUCK! Hindi pwede! This can't be! Luis and Irene are going to be devastated! It happened before with Tony, hindi pwede Bailey. You have to wait for Mommy.

"Nasaan?"

I am silently holding my breath. I don't think I'll be able to think clearly until I see Bailey.

When I first walked in, it looked as if Bailey is playing in front of the fan.

"Okay naman ah?"
'Hindi GA. Lapitan mo'

Damn! If Jackie is crying, then something must really be wrong.

When I touched Bailey, I just know.

"Ipa ayos mo kay Roman muna bago ako tatawag kay Irene, and call the vet. Baka pwede na madala muna kahit sandali. I just wanted to make sure"

It's no longer a question of reviving Bailey.
Because we're way past that.

But I have to make sure that Bailey will be taken care of until his mommy comes home.

He died while he was playing in front of the fan.
That is something that Irene will never take lightly.

FUCK!

When Bailey is now lying comfortably in his makeshift bed, I decided to call Irene.

'Daddy? Facetime please? Para I can show you the kids'

Shit! She's so happy. How do I break this news to her?

"Baby.."
'What's wrong? Bakit ganyan ka? Daddy.. may sakit ka ba?'
"Mommy, si Bailey"
'What's with that BaileyBear of mine? Kinukulit ka? Inaway mo? Did they fight? Sila ni Athena?'

I wish! I wish na ganyan na lang! Kahit maingay, kahit magulo! At least she's coming home to her fur babies na lahat sila complete.

"Bailey died this morning, Mommy. I'm sorry"
'What?'
"He was just playing ehh. And then.. God, Irene. I'm sorry"

And it's not just Irene. I'm not so sure how Luis is going to handle this news. He blamed himself badly when Tony passed away. I don't want him to suffer another loss like that.

"Baby?"
'Si Luis, Dadad. I can't tell him. Kawawa naman ang bunso ko. And si Bailey.. Daddy.. hindi naman ako hinintay. I'm not going to extend naman na ahh! One day na lang, Daddy. Isang araw na lang, bakit ganyan? Ayaw na sakin ng anak ko?'
"Maybe he doesn't want you to see him go. Baby.. please don't cry"
'Ang daya! It's like Tony all over again! Daddy.. I want to go home'
"Do you need me to book you a flight?"
'No. Mahihirapan umuwi tomorrow sila Xandra kapag iniwan ko sila today. Pero Daddy? Facetime mo ako mamaya? Please?'

I know that she's going to spend the night crying over Bailey. So if calling her will ease her pain, I will be willing to stay on the phone with her until she falls asleep.

***
I asked Nick to prepare Irene's car for tomorrow. Though I am expecting that she will be staying home with me, I just wanted to make sure that her car is all good for her to use.

And flowers.
I need to order some flowers for her. I know that she found some liking to this certain flower shop inside Okada but I'm not sure which one.

I might regret making this call, but I have no other choice. This devil niece of mine is the one who introduced the shop to my wife.

So with a heavy heart, here I am, calling her.

'Sup?'
"And what is that supposed to mean?"
'Hello to you too. That's what's up! Jeez! Ang sungit mo! Extend si Tita?'
"Hell no! She can't. She cannot bear to not see me for another five days"
'Parang hindi naman. Puro selfie nga yun sa mga boys dun ahh! Have you seen her picture with Ate Aimee? Fresh noh? And yung katabi nya, oh my God, Tito! Parang asawa nya. Even nga yung pictures sa church, parang asawa ng visiting Pastor sa dami ng nagpa picture ahh'

See why I do not want to call her? She's pure evil!

"Shut up! I need your help"
'But I don't want to help you'
"It's not for me. I need flowers for-"
'I'm on it. Ilang dozen? Charge sa card ko? O sa card mo?'
"Bakit ang bilis mo kausap kapag sa Tita mo?"
'Because I love her? Helllooo?'
"And you don't love me?"
'I haven't fully moved on from what you did last year'

Oh boy! Okay na kami ng asawa ko, pero bakit ang batang to, galit pa rin?

"We're doing just fine"
'I know'
"Then stop writing about us"
'Why? It's fun kaya! Also, the only reason why I deleted that story of yours is because of Tita. Kung sayo lang, nako! Gagawa ako sarili kong prayer rally para ipakulam ka!'

As much as I hate to admit it to myself, I am grateful for someone like Shobe who is loving and protecting Irene fiercely.. even from me.

***
It's quarter to nine when I call Irene on facetime.

She answered but I think she's still doing something else. I had to wait for a minute to see her on the screen.

'Daddy.. sorry. I was packing my bag. Kumain ka na?'
"Done. You?"
'Tapos na rin. Dadad? Ang sad sad ng Baby mo'

Oh oh. She really is sad!
It's been a while na nagpa baby sa akin ng ganito ang asawa ko.

"You'll be home tomorrow. Don't worry, okay? Just one more sleep"
'I miss you, so much Daddy'
"I miss you too. I miss you very very much"
'I love you'
"I love you more. Mommy? Can we sleep without putting the phone down?"
'It's okay with me. Si Andy? Baka hindi makatulog'
"Nasa room nya. Mag v-video game daw sila ng tatay nya. I'd be sleeping alone"

Well? I'm not sure.. okay? Sabi ni Andy na maglalaro sila ni Alfonso. I'm not sure if he's going to sleep with me, but I have to be sure.. right?

'Okay. Sleepy ka na? Go to sleep, then. I'll watch over you'
"Mommy? Nine nights na ako natutulog na walang socks, wala ka kasi"
'I'll make it up to you tomorrow, I promise'
"Kiss? Kiss mo ako"

She's kissing me playfully on the screen and that is the last thing that I remember before I dozed off to sleep.

Tomorrow. Konti na lang.. uuwi na ang asawa ko.

***
April 10, Wednesday- Irene's flight back to Manila

Her flight will depart from Cagayan de Oro at eleven this morning. I am expecting her to be home just before two.

It's a bit late for lunch, but I will wait for her.
I've spent ten days of not eating with her. And I am willing to wait for a couple of hours more.

I've had my hair cut, I've given my self a good shave for the day. I've taken a bath longer than my usual!

Yes.. I want to look good and to smell nice for my wife.

Her flowers are here too, thanks to the little devil.

All that's left is for her to come home.
She said that she's going to give me a call before boarding starts, but what's taking her so long?

I tried texting her first. Maybe she forgot that she's going to call me?

But before I can even send another message, here she is, calling. So, hindi naman siguro ako nakalimutan.

'Daddy? We're walking to the boarding gate na. I'll see you later, ha? Kumain ka na?'

Nooo, because I'm waiting for you.

"Later na lang Mommy. Sabay na tayo"
'Mamaya pa yun ah. Kain ka na, pwede?'
"No it's fine. I'll wait for you"
'I love you'
"I love you too. Ingat kayo ha?"
'Yeah.. I have something for you from Aimee pala'

Sus! Si Bong ibinili ng putanginang bamboo flute! Pagkatapos ako? Hindi man lang naalala! Kung wala pa si Aimee, walang pasalubong sakin!

"From Aimee?"
'Yes. Dadad? Later na lang ha? I love you'

Hay! Mabuti na lang talaga mahal ko to eh! Nakaka inis talaga minsan!

***
I keep pacing outside while I'm impatiently waiting for the gates to open!

Ang tagal! Ang tagal tagal!

It's holiday today so Andy is staying at home too. He decides to join me.. now the two of us are pacing! Crazy!

'Wowo? What's taking Baba so long?'
"I don't know. Maybe traffic sa skyway?"
'I miss her. She promised me a pizza date, you know that? Max and Thalia and Vita are getting the most out of her! It's not fair!'

See? Hindi lang naman ako ang possessive sa asawa ko, pati ang apo.

"They're young pa, Andy. And Vita's still a baby"
'But do you remember? When Mom died? Sabi ni Baba na siya na lang ang mommy ko? So why are my cousins having the most of my mommy's attention? Dapat kapag wala lang ako, dun lang sila. It's so unfair'

When Joy passed away, Irene found Andy crying inside our room. He was telling her that how will life be for him, now that he's lost his mother.

I will never forget how broken Irene looked right at that moment. That's when she told Andy.. "You can call me Mommy, ako na lang ang mommy mo"

Since then, Andy is making sure that everyone knows that it's not Luis who is our youngest, but him. And honestly? That's how it feels from the beginning. With how busy Joy was with her career and with Alfonso still figuring out what he wanted in life, parang si Irene naman na talaga ang nanay ni Andy.

"You can have Mommy's attention all by yourself, but not today. Is that okay? Today she's mine"
'But I have classes tomorrow, Wowo!'
"Maybe.. weekend?"
'Ugh!!!! No! Saturday is usually with her friends, Sunday is family day in Malacañang! Si Daddy pa! I have so much competition, I hate it!'

Tell me all about it! Malapit na nga ako kumuha ng schedule para lang makasama ko yang nanay mo!

***
Andy runs as soon as Irene's car stops. Damn! Bakit kasi walang pasok ang bata na to?

'Oh naku! Careful, anak. Where's your dad?'

Pati si Alfonso hinahanap! Ano na ba ako? Multo na ba ako? Is she not seeing me?

"Mommy!"

Kung hindi pa sumigaw, hindi titingin! Hindi ka ba naman maiinis dyan!

'Daddddyyyyy'

Ay tangina wala na! Oo na! I am melting again.

"I miss you"
'I love you'

I guess I just don't really care anymore who's here with us right now. Edi tumingin sila! From the corner of my eyes, I see how almost in sync they all are, when they turned their back to us!

I'm not sorry, I just need to kiss my wife.

"I love you, Baby"
'Love you, Dadad. May lip balm ka na, Daddy'
"It's okay. It's okay.. kiss mo ako, one more"

Irene is meeting my kisses with the same intensity and passion! Damn!

This is new! This is so new!!

My wife rarely goes with public display of affection for me. She's always prim and very proper.

Parang bumabawi ah?

'Love you.. so much!'
"I love you, Baby ko"

'Wowo, enough na! Stop kissing Baba! And Baba! Sabi mo kanina sa phone, I can show you my new games. Let's go inside na!'

I never imagined that there will come a time that I will be saying this.. but I am going to say it anyway.

I hate you, Andy!

***
Indeed, Andy wasted no time in making sure that he can show Irene his new mobile games! As if they're of any importance!

AS IF! Mas mahalaga pa ba yan kaysa sakin!

'Mommy! Can I sit? Please?'

Oh no! Uupo pa talaga sa Baba nya!

"Let Baba rest, Andy. She's out for ten days, let her rest for a while"
'It's okay, Dadad. It's okay.. just be careful ha? Look at the plates, baka mabasag'

And it's not enough for Andy na nakaupo si sa asawa ko! He even put his arms around her neck! Silang dalawa na lang ulit, hindi na naman ako kasali!

"Baby? I'll feed you. Open your mouth"
'Not too big, Daddy ha?'

Huh! Anong akala ng mga tao na to? Sila lang pwede maging clingy sa asawa ko? No way!

'Daddy.. mag gulay ka'

I am purposely showing to Irene that I am eating everything but vegetables. And it's working! Napansin ako ehh!

"Feed mo ako"

I know that Andy is rolling his eyes.. but sorry to say, the husband takes precedence over the child!

***
After our late lunch, I told Andy to let Irene rest for the day. They can still bond over dinner, pero it's been ten straight days na puro na lang initan at lakad ang ginagawa ng Baba nya, she needs to recharge.

But.. as soon as I closed our bedroom door, Irene went straight to the walk in closet.

What for?

"Mommy! Later na yan! What are you doing there? Come here.. lay beside me. Pahinga tayo"
'I will rest later, Dadad. I just have to go out very quick'

OUT? Fucking out?

"Can you please come out, please"

She came out with two different dresses in her hand.

'Which one, Daddy?'
"Wala! Anong which one?"
'It's Alice's birthday. May early dinner lang kami. I already told them that I will be there. Uuwi naman ako agad'
"I don't care, Irene! Anong pakialam ko sa kung sino sa kaibigan mo ang may birthday? Sampung araw ka na wala dito sa bahay, hindi pa nga nag iinit yang pwet mo sa pamamahay na to, aalis ka na naman? Also, hindi ka man lang nagsabi na aalis ka lang ulit? Ikaw na lang? Buhay mo na lang yan? Wala ka bang asawa?"
'Greggy naman, mabilis lang talaga'
"Mabilis lang pala ehh, bakit aalis ka pa?"
'Daddy..'

This can't be! Namimihasa na to ehh! Palagi na lang siya! I need to make her stay!

So I pushed Irene to our bed, causing both of us to fall. I landed on top of her. Just exactly what I needed! I started kissing her jaw down to her neck.

And when I found my spot, I started kissing and sucking on it to make sure that not even her make up can conceal my mark!

'Dadddyyyy!!!! Greggy!!!! Dadad! Enough!!! Ang laki na nyan, Daddy! Greggy naman ehh!!'

Oh? Siya pa ang galit?

'I have to pick another set of clothes na naman! Hindi ako pwede mag dress nyan! Bakit mo ako nilagyan ng kiss mark?'
"So you do not have to go"
'Dadad naman! I told you, mabilis lang ako! You're suffocating at times!'

With that in her mind, bakit ko pa pipigilan? Nakaka sakal naman pala ako ehh. So I just let her be.

Go on then! Leave me again! Leave and spend time with your friends! Be happy with them!

When all along, all I ever wanted is for you to stay.

Irene and her legendary neckerchief

***
I'm not sure what time Irene got home, but maybe it's time that I stopped caring too much.

Nakaka sakal nga daw, diba?

But I noticed one thing.. I am wearing my pair of socks.

Oh? Baka kaya I was able to sleep fairly well? I look at the clock beside me, and it's almost four in the morning. If we're in good terms, I know that we will be walking around MPC by six thirty.

Pero wala ehh, bakit ko naman aayain? Paano kung masakal?

As I am trying to get out of the bed, that is when I noticed that my wife is wide awake beside me.

She's not saying anything, but she's looking at me.

FUCK!

"Geez! Irene! Ano ba? Are you trying to kill me? Bakit nandyan ka lang? And why are you not talking?"

But instead of answering my questions, she decided upon herself that she's just going to sit in my lap. Her arms are wrapped around my neck while she buries her face on my chest.

I am worried on why is she acting this way but I'm also trying to not overplay my part.

Asawa ka lang, Greggy.

When I am sure that she's crying because of how soaked my shirt is now, that's when I talk to her again.

"Irene.."
'I'm sorry, Daddy. I'm sorry. Please? Wag ka na magalit. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry.'

"What are you sorry for?"
'A lot. For being inconsiderate of how you feel, for leaving despite your reservations. I'm sorry, Dadad'
"It's okay. Let it go, nangyari na eh. Also, can you please move? I can't breathe"

But instead of moving, she just pushed me back to the further end of the headboard.

'I'll make breakfast for you, pwede?'
"Wag na lang. Sila Art na bahala"
'Daddy.. galit ka ba?'
"No. Now, move please"
'Ayaw, iiwan mo ako ehh'
"Sa CR lang ako pupunta, Irene.. hindi ako aalis ng sampung araw"

But she wouldn't move! Ang tigas ng ulo talaga!

"Irene.. move"
'See? Galit ka talaga ehh!'

What? Ngayon pati siya, galit na rin?

"Don't I have the right to feel this way? Ha? last year ka pa ahh! Kasal ni Jess! What did you say? Maiwan na lang ako dito sa bahay! Oh not only that! Kasal ni Kim! Ikaw lang mag isa nag punta sa Laguna! That holy week sa Batangas, I told you na next time na lang, let's just spend some time na tayo lang, pumayag ka ba? I understand that Bernice is your cousin and that she's going through some rough times, pero Irene naman! Palagi na lang kayo ang magkasama! Every time! Every single time na sasabihin ko sayo na sasamahan kita, ayaw mo! And that fucking trip back to US! Ayaw mo ako ulit isama!"
'Daddy, mabilis lang kasi ehh. Renovation lang ng bahay, tapos uuwi na'

"Have you forgotten? Na ang ipapa renovate ay hindi mo lang bahay.. but bahay ko rin? Did it ever occur to you that the reason why I wanted to be with you for always.. is because I will be seventy six in two weeks time and that I know that I don't have much left! Ano ba naman na ubusin ko ang natitira ko na buhay na kasama ko ang asawa ko? Tell me.. and I want you to be honest, please. Masaya ka pa ba? Sa akin? Sa ating dalawa? Do you still love me? Because frankly speaking, Irene.. parang hindi naman na"

Am I being too much? Sobra na rin naman kasi siya ahh! Tama ba na unahin nya pa ang ibang tao kaysa sa asawa nya?

'I am! Daddy!!!! I am. And I love you. And I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm just trying to be protective of you, alam mo naman yan. I really don't want you to catch any virus lang naman'
"Lecheng ubo naman yan, Irene! Palagi na lang yan ang dahilan mo ehh!"
'Because that's all naman talaga, Dadad'
"Mas mabuti pa na may pneumonia na kasama ka, kaysa wala nga kahit ubo, hindi ko naman na malaman kung nasaan ang asawa ko"

'Sorry ulit, Daddy. Please? Bati na tayo? Sorry na daw.. sabi ng baby mo. Dadad..'
"Alis ka na dyan, I have to get up"
'Carry mo ako, sama ako sayo'

Sus! Akala naman madadaan nya ako sa mga arte nya na ganito.

I didn't carry her. But she insisted on waiting for me outside our bathroom door.

'Done?'
"You are weird. Pati pag ihi ko-"
'I love you. And I'm sorry ulit. Sorry, Daddy'

Bahala ka nga!

'Daddddd wait! You're leaving me?'
"Pupunta ako sa kitchen. Why?"
'Sama ako?'

Bahala ka ulit!

When we get to the kitchen, all I'm trying to make is a toasted wheat bagel with butter and jam. Hindi na ako naka kain kagabi, and now I'm really hungry.

'Ako na Dy. I'll make your breakfast, just sit down'
"I can manage, Irene"
'Baby'

WHAT? Baby? Why is she calling me Baby?

"Anong sinabi mo?"
'Baby. Ayaw ko ng mommy, ayoko ng Irene. Just Baby lang muna, Dadad. Baby.. okay?'

Oh what a relief! Akala ko may kapalit na ako ehh!

I already told her na bagel lang. But she's making a lot! May scrambled egg, there's hash browns and bacon. And now she's grilling some cherry tomatoes.

"Okay na yan, Irene"
'Daddy!!!!'
"Okay na yan, Baby"

Kahit naiinis ako, ang ganda rin talaga lalo kapag ka nawawala ang mata sa pag tawa!

'Dad? Look at me nga. Am I fat?'

What?

"Ha? Fat?"
'Fat.. mataba. Mataba na ba ako?'

Hmmmm.. she gained weight, yes. But fat? Hindi naman!

"No. You just gained an extra pound but it's okay. You look great "
'Edi mataba nga ako!!! Daddy.. mag detox tayo?'
"Bakit pati ako? Hindi naman ako tumaba"
'See? I knew it! Umitim na nga ako, tumaba pa! Look Daddy oh! Ang layo na ng kulay ko sa kulay mo!'

I don't know what to say anymore. Kahit naman anong sabihin ko, she will still use it however she wants to.

"It's fine. Maganda ka pa rin naman"
'Totoo?'
"Yes. Pinaka maganda ka"
'Kiss mo nga ako'

I turned off the stove first before I take my wife back to my arms. I can live without grilled tomatoes but I can't live without Irene.

She's moaning softly.. and let me tell you, that is driving me nuts!

'Balik na tayo sa room, Daddy'

Finally! Makakapag dilig na rin sa wakas!

"One more kiss and then we're going back to the room"

This time, it's more liberating.

'I love you, Greggy'
"I love you, Baby"

We're simply lost in the moment when all of the lights inside the kitchen turn on.

'Ay putang inang mga lampungan na pusa!'

"Danica!"
'Sorry.. GA, sorry Ma'am, sorry po. Hindi ko po alam na may tao. Sorry po'

When Irene bursts out laughing, it is with no hesitation that I join her in.

'Sorry, Danica! Sige na, mag luto ka na. Daddy? Bring mo yung food mo?'
"I will"

Danica is still flushed from seeing how Irene and I were making out but I couldn't care less.

I am happy. My wife is back and she's happy and we are happy.

"Danica?"
'Po..'
"Wala kang nakita ha? And don't tell this to Shobe, isusulat na naman kami ng little devil na yun online. Are we clear?"
'Opo'

I'm almost running as I head back to our room.

"Baby?"
'In hereeee!'

I carefully placed the tray on the bedside table before I turn to take a look at my wife, who is smiling naughtily at me.

"What are you up to, Baby ko?"
'What if.. Dadad? Ikaw muna ang baby ko?'

When she slowly stripped herself off of the blanket, I figured what she wanted to say.

"Mommy"

***END***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

White Top Hats By Ashley

Mystery / Thriller

63 11 11
It started when the rain fell. As it hit the windows rhythmically, I fought my sleep. Fighting off the demons in my dreams. I hadn't realized how rea...
924 554 14
ONE SHOT STORIES... You should now the boundaries between work and your own life. Maybe you have already the love of your life, but for others you ar...
Dreaming By 💜

Fanfiction

3.5K 278 83
"Is this actually real?" You ask your best friend. "Absolutely. And I'm glad it is." ----- Welcome to a time of change. A different air to breathe...
1.4K 246 23
Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears.