Pokemon: Path to the Unknown

By Adamos_Amet

Peter Asher is a university dropout who spends his days cooped up in his apartment playing video games and wa... More

Chapter no.1 Prologue
Chapter no.2 Where am I?
Chapter no.3 Ash Ketchum?
Chapter no.4 Déjà vu
Chapter no.5 Practical Exam
Chapter no.6 Gary Oak
Chapter no.7 Tier 10
Chapter no.8 Starter Pokemon
Chapter no.9 Vs Gary Oak
Chapter no.10 Champion's Pressure
Chapter no.11 Delia's Past
Chapter no.12 Ash: A Winner and A Loser
Chapter no.13 Breakfast
Chapter no.14 Sponsorship
Chapter no.16 Knowledge
Chapter no.17 Pikachu
Chapter no.18 Rattata and Ash
Chapter no.19 Pokemon Master?!
Chapter no.20 Mama Is Gonna Sue

Chapter no.15 A Dream of Change

177 16 3
By Adamos_Amet

The usual Pokémon trainer test was pretty straightforward.

First, you'd take a written exam, then you'd move on to the practical part.

Based on how well you did, the Pokémon League of your region would give you a starter Pokémon.

However, there was a lesser-known part of the exam, a secret one, where the examiners watched how you interacted with Pokémon.

They looked at your behavior, your attitude, and the potential for a strong bond between you and Pokémon.

This wasn't just about being good in battles or scoring high on tests.

The way trainers treated their Pokémon, among other things, was just as crucial.

This hidden part of the exam was there to help trainers who weren't top scorers or battle geniuses.

It gave them a chance to shine in other ways and catch up with their more gifted peers by awarding them a second Pokémon.

These Pokémon, which had been part of the exam, were bred to be stronger than the usual wild ones, helping these less stellar trainers stay in the game.

Ash Ketchum was an exception to the usual rule.

He had aced the standard exam, but it was his performance in the secret exam that made Professor Oak pause.

Rattata, the Pokémon he partnered with for this exam, was visibly depressed—its ears drooped, and it lacked its usual energy. Normally, someone who scored as high as Ash wouldn't get a second Pokémon, but Rattata seemed to have made its choice, clearly wanting Ash as its trainer.

Seeing Rattata's state, Professor Oak couldn't bring himself to separate them. Despite the rules, he saw the genuine bond between Ash and the Pokémon.

Who was he to stand in the way of that? After all, the connection between a boy and his Pokémon was something special, something not to be interfered with.

....

Ash stood there, staring at Rattata with a mix of doubt and consideration.

The thought nagging at him was blunt and to the point: "Do I really want a weak Pokémon on my team?"

He felt guilty for even thinking it.

All those anime episodes he watched back home preached about the potential in every Pokémon, but here he was, sizing up Rattata like it was a second-choice dessert.

"Should I really use one of those spots for Rattata?" he pondered.

Ash was aware he could catch more than six Pokémon, but he didn't want to keep switching them in and out from whatever this world's version of a computer was.

He wanted to build a strong, close bond with his team, not shuffle them around like trading cards.

Curious about what Abra might think, he turned to the psychic Pokémon. "Thoughts?" he asked.

"About?" Abra responded, seemingly oblivious.

Frowning, Ash was a bit taken aback.

"Aren't you reading my mind?" he questioned, assuming that's how Abra's telepathy worked.

"That's not how telepathy works," Abra explained casually, taking a break from its snack. "It's like a conversation. If one of us isn't engaging, then telepathy doesn't happen."

Ash's surprise turned into a sigh of relief. "That's good," he thought. "I get to have my own privacy." It was a small comfort, but in this new world where so much was uncertain, even a little privacy was something to be thankful for.

"You might need to practice this telepathy thing," Abra remarked in its usual dry tone.

"Maybe later. But for now, what about Rattata?" Ash asked, looking for advice but really wrestling with his own doubts.

"What about her?" Abra echoed, genuinely curious.

Ash struggled to find the words. He had always imagined his team to be comprised of strong Pokémon, not a... But then he caught Rattata's hopeful gaze. Those bright eyes seemed to plead with him, and Ash couldn't ignore them.

"Maybe I should at least hear her out," he thought.

"Maybe I can gently let her down."

Turning to Abra, Ash requested, "Can you translate what I say to Rattata?"

The room went silent, everyone's attention now focused on this unusual conversation. Professor Oak eagerly prepared to take notes.

"Why do you want to join me?" Ash asked, his voice gentle.

Rattata's reply was a series of squeaks, which Abra translated with surprising warmth.

"She says she's always been bullied for being weak. But during the exam, you showed her she could be strong. You gave her hope and a dream that she could change, that she could be better, that she could be stronger."

Ash felt a tug at his heart.

Here was Rattata, longing for strength and believing in him as the catalyst for that change.

It mirrored Ash's own desires—to break away from his past self and prove his strength in this new world.

It didn't matter anymore that Rattata was considered a weak Pokémon.

What mattered was her desire to grow stronger, to overcome her limitations.

Ash looked at Rattata and had a thought that changed everything for him.

In his eyes, it didn't matter anymore that Rattata was a weak Pokémon.

Right then, he understood something very important: being strong isn't just about the hand you're dealt in life.

This little lady didn't get to choose coming into the world as what some might call a weak Rattata, but that didn't stop her from dreaming. She wanted more for herself, aiming to grow stronger, just like him.

Back on Earth, I didn't pick my beginning. I was born into a regular, middle-class family. I didn't choose to be the guy who had social anxiety, the one everyone might call a loser. It felt like life just handed me this role, turning me into someone I didn't want to be—a loser who pointed fingers at the world but never really tried to change anything. Here, in this new world, I want to do things differently. I want to change. I want to be better.

This shared hope between them, this desire to overcome their beginnings, it bonded Ash and Rattata.

Why shouldn't he give Rattata the chance to grow, just as he sought that chance for himself?

Extending his hand, Ash made a vow, "Let's be stronger, together."

Rattata nudged her Pokéball into Ash's palm and gently placed her paw on his hand, sealing their partnership.

"Rattata," she squeaked softly, her eyes shining with determination.

Ash didn't need Abra to translate this time. He understood perfectly.

"I choose you," he whispered back.

"She is so cute," Yellow said, admiring Rattata, who seemed to blush at the compliment.

Just then, a squeak caught Yellow's attention, and she looked down to cuddle her Pikachu.

"Chu-Chu, you are also adorable," she cooed.

Chu-Chu gave Rattata a smug look, clearly proud of the praise.

Rattata, feeling slighted, turned to Ash, silently pleading for him to affirm her cuteness.

Ash thought quickly, "Abra, get Oak's attention."

But Abra telepathically shot back, "No. I want to see you suffer."

"Abra!" Ash exclaimed, annoyed. He then felt a gentle nibble at his finger and saw Rattata looking up at him with wide, expectant eyes.

Her look said it all: Tell me, I am pretty.

With a soft smile, Ash stroked Rattata's nose and reassured her, "Don't listen to them. They're just jealous of your beauty."

Rattata beamed, puffing out her chest proudly.

However, the moment was short-lived as Ash felt a pinch.

He glanced over to see Yellow pouting, with Chu-Chu insisting on being acknowledged as the prettier one.

"Both are pretty," Ash declared with a strained smile, trying to keep the peace.

Rattata and Chu-Chu exchanged looks, then both turned away with a huff, clearly unsatisfied with the diplomatic answer.

"Drama queens," Ash muttered under his breath.

From the sidelines, Delia and Daisy were clearly entertained by the unfolding drama, while Professor Oak was busy scribbling down notes, lost in thought as he formulated hypotheses based on his observations of the dialogue between Ash, Abra and Rattata.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.2K 1.5K 87
This story is about Ash Ketchum and Serena Gabena traveling throughout the Kanto region. During the journey they will meet Brock and Misty who will b...
10.8K 278 6
Ash Ketchum, A Cheerful and energetic trainer was on his way to climb the World Coronation Series but something happened, more like 2 people of his p...
181K 2.1K 14
Ash Ketchum is betrayed by those who he once considered friends. His mother disowns him saying he brought shame to her name. Pikachu was killed by Tr...
2.4K 83 5
Follow Avery through Kalos with Sparks, her Pikachu, and, her boyfriend, Ash Ketchum with his Pikachu. Together, they meet new friends and Pokemon wh...