Pulse and Petals

By CarnationCarrie

Evara Nayak (23) I moved to New York, the city where dreams come true. I shouldn't even be here in the first... More

Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Alec

Evara

65 3 80
By CarnationCarrie

I'm standing here, taking it all in, and let me tell you, it's like stepping into a cottage core dream, but desi. This massive lawn with a freaking pool right in front of me is covered in rose petals.

The whole place is dripping in aesthetic perfection, with spring flowers bursting into bloom everywhere I look. And those tree branches? They're decked out with these giant paper flowers, dangling like whimsical balloons, adding a touch of magic to the scene.

Tables are scattered around, each one boasting bowls filled with every color imaginable.

It's like a feast for the eyes and the soul. And the people? Oh man, it's a melting pot of every race and ethnicity, with everyone decked out in their finest whites, looking like they just stepped off a magazine cover. Seriously, this has got to be the best Holi party ever.

But the real magic? It's happening all around me. Some folks have already jumped into the color wars, smearing each other with paint and laughter.

I'm not covered in color, not yet anyway.
Just chilling by the sidelines, watching, playing it cool, while everyone's getting all paint-splattered and festive, I'm waiting for my moment.

Patiently waiting for someone to include me in the fun.

Sure, I could grab a handful of color and join in, but I've been down that road before. Ended up triggering someone's allergies once by accident, and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. So, these days, I'm all about making better choices.

I'm minding my own business when suddenly, this little munchkin about 6 or 7 years old comes barreling towards me, decked out in pristine white from head to toe.

But before I can even process what's happening, he almost sent me tumbling to the ground, trying to escape a bunch of other kids armed with their color powders.

"Hey, careful there!" I manage to blurt out, trying to steady myself.

These kids? They're like little bundles of energy, darting around with pockets full of color powder, leaving trails of vibrant hues in their wake. It's messy and hilarious, and I can't help but laugh along.

It's pure chaos, but it's the most beautiful kind.

I sidle up to the food counter, and my stomach starts doing somersaults at the sight of all those delicious dishes spread out before me.

What? I love food. Do I attend parties just for the food? Yes. Am I ashamed? Abso-fucking-lutely not.

Seriously, it's like a foodie's paradise. There's everything you can imagine, from savory to sweet, and it all looks so damn good I'm practically drooling on the spot.

From steaming pots of biryani to sizzling plates of paneer tikka, the aroma alone is enough to make my stomach growl in anticipation.

But here's the thing: I can't decide where to start. Do I dive into those crispy samosas first, or maybe snag a plate of butter chicken? And don't even get me started on the desserts—those gulab jamuns are calling my name, but so are those colorful fruit tarts.

And more of those sweets? Oh boy, there are trays of jalebis dripping with syrup, mountains of rasgullas, and platters of creamy kulfi.

It's like stepping into a culinary wonderland. There's a feast laid out in front of me, and every dish looks more tempting than the last.

How am I supposed to choose between all these mouthwatering options?

I stand there, torn between my hunger and my inability to make a decision when suddenly, my gaze drifts towards the door, and—holy fuck.

Out strut the Carson Men, decked out in matching white chikankari kurtas, looking like a squad of desi heartthrobs.

These guys have got serious style game, and they're flaunting it like nobody's business.

Mr. Carson leads the pack, with Jack and Nick who could pass for his personal bodyguards any day. Then there's Noah, looking all suave as usual, followed by an older version of himself, probably his dad.

It's hard not to notice the family resemblance—they all have that same rugged good looks and confident stride.

There's this undeniable Carson charm oozing from each of them, but at the same time, there's something distinct about each brother.

And let's talk about their height for a second—seriously, they're all tall af. It's like they hit the genetic jackpot or something. Maybe it's all those Carson genes at work, conspiring to create a squad of tall, handsome men. Whatever it is, I'm not complaining.

But it's when I catch sight of who's walking behind all of them that my heart decides to do its own little drum solo.

Alec.

He saunters out that my heart goes into overdrive. I mean, seriously? Could the universe be any more cruel?

I've been trying so damn hard to push those memories of what happened in his room earlier out of my mind. You know, the whole grabbing me and kissing me senseless like he's starving and I'm his last meal kind of thing? Yeah, that.

But nope, Alec just had to go and show up looking all smoldering and irresistible, like a walking reminder of every tiny detail I've been desperately trying to forget.

He moves with a confidence that's borderline intoxicating, like he knows exactly how good he looks in that white kurta. And damn, he's making it hard for me to focus on anything else.

The flashbacks start playing on repeat in the back of my head, and I'm pretty sure my heart is trying to escape my chest at this point. Great. Just great. Thanks, universe.

Alec's eyes lock with mine, and that smirk of his does things to me. Damn, he's so freaking hot it's unfair. But I play it cool, pretending like I didn't notice him, and casually turn towards Hira Aunty, who's standing nearby, eyeing Alec Senior with the same expression I probably had a few seconds ago.

I chuckle to myself, Yeah, I can feel you, before turning to my left and noticing two more girls gaping at the Carson men. Wait, seriously? Is this happening to everyone here? It's like the Carson effect is hitting everyone in this place.

Mr. Carson strolls over to Hira Aunty and pulls her in close, his voice dripping with charm as he whispers, "You are gorgeous, Dime." Hira Aunty blushes a shade of pink that's downright adorable, and it's so sweet it makes my chest ache.

Finally finding her words, Hira Aunty fires back with a teasing tone, "Have you looked into a mirror yet?" Mr. Carson chuckles in response, and for a moment, he doesn't look intimidating at all.

I quickly avert my gaze, not wanting to intrude on their moment. It's too precious to watch from the sidelines, and I'd rather give them their space. Plus, I've got my own drama to deal with, like trying not to melt into a puddle every time Alec shoots me that smirk.

I glance over and catch Noah pulling his fiancée into a tight hug, planting a sweet kiss on her lips. It's all cute and mushy, but my attention wanders as I scan the crowd. And there she is, Blair Aunty, Noah's mom. I remember meeting her earlier when Hira Aunty introduced us.

Blair and Hira Aunty go way back, like college besties kind of back. You can just tell they're pretty tight-knit.

She this gorgeous white woman with perfect brown hair and piercing blue eyes. She loves Indian culture, and she's even cool with me calling her "Aunty."

Noah Senior's pulling Blair Aunty into his arms, giving her those dreamy eyes that could make anyone melt.

I can't help but chuckle to myself as I take in the scene. Damn, this whole family is like a bunch of scary softies, and it's kind of adorable.

"That could be us."

Alec's voice catches me off guard, and before I can even process it, he's right there next to me, all tall and handsome.

"Jeez, where did you come from?" I blurt out, trying to regain my composure.

"I was always here," he replies casually, but there's something in his tone that makes my heart race.

Just as I start to walk away, to escape wherever this is going, he grabs my arm, and suddenly, goosebumps erupt all over my skin.

"What did I say about running away from me, Princess?" he murmurs, his voice low and dangerously seductive.

I meet his gaze, trying to play it cool. "Ummm, I don't remember. Bad memory," I quip, freeing myself from his hold and turning to walk away. But just as I think I'm in the clear, Nick pops up out of nowhere, blocking my path.

Seriously?

"Evie! Looks like your dream came true," Nick teases, and I swear my eyes are about to fall out of their sockets. Dreams? Wet dreams about his brother?How does he know about... that?  Or the kiss? Did Alec tell him? No, Alec wouldn't tell him about anything even if someone put a gun to his head. Did Nick see us kissing? Holy shit, what am I going to tell Nick?

I'm mentally preparing for the earth to open up and swallow me whole. Ready for that to happen any time now.

But before I can dwell on it any longer, Nick continues, pointing out, "Your dupatta is stuck," then adds with a confused head tilt, "in Alec's watch."

I look down to find my dupatta tangled in Alec's watch, and Alec lifts his hand, with a smirk. He's looking at me like he knows exactly what's going through my mind.

Nick interrupts my thoughts again, asking, "Since when do you wear classic watches?" His tone is suspicious, and now I'm the one in confusion.

What does he mean by that?

But Nick doesn't wait for a response. Instead, he starts walking away like he just saw something that needs his immediate attention.

I turn to Alec, my fingers fumbling,  trying to untangle my dupatta from his watch, but his heated gaze is practically burning a hole through me.

"This damn watch," I mutter under my breath, frustration creeping in as the fabric refuses to budge.

Alec chuckles,  "So impatient," he remarks, his hand covering mine on the watch as he helps untangle my dupatta. But then, his touch lingers, holding my hand in place as he speaks.

"You can't hide from me, Princess," he murmurs, his gaze intense as it meets mine.

I meet his gaze head-on, a challenge flashing in my eyes. "Try me," I retort, refusing to back down.

Alec shakes his head, a smirk playing on his lips. "That stubbornness of yours turns me on," he confesses, and before I can even process his words, he grabs some color from the nearest table and smudges it on my cheek. I feel like I'm on fire, but I have to keep my guard up.

Without missing a beat, I grab some color of my own and retaliate, coloring him back. "And nothing about you turns me on," I shoot back with a smile before turning on my heel and walking away, leaving Alec behind with a smirk on his face and a mess of colors on both of us.

******

I met these two awesome girls right here at the party, and we ended up playing Holi together. They're so fun, and we hit it off right from the start.

We're sitting here, all three of us, covered head to toe in every color imaginable, looking like a rainbow exploded all over us.

Sipping on cool drinks, we're finally catching our breath after all the fun.

We may have just met, but there's this instant connection, like we've known each other for ages.

These girls are seriously cool, and we've been bonding over our shared love for the chaos of Holi. One of them even happens to be Hira Aunty's friend's daughter, which is pretty cool.

"So, what do you do?" one of the girls asks me, curiosity sparkling in her eyes.

"I'm a wedding planner," I reply with a grin, feeling a surge of pride in my profession. "What about you guys?"

The girl with black hair leans forward, excitement dancing in her eyes. "I'm a doctor at Oberoi-Carson Memorial Hospital," she says proudly.

"And I'm a fashion designer," adds the brunette, a confident smile gracing her lips.

"Wow, That's so cool!" I exclaim before we can dive into more chit-chat.

But before we can get any further, Hira Aunty pops up out of nowhere, "Oh my God! Why are you girls drinking this?" she exclaims, eyeing our drinks with concern.

We all glance down at our glasses and then back at each other, utterly dumbfounded. "It tastes really good. You should try this," I offer.

But Hira Aunty shakes her head with a knowing smile. "Been there. Done that. Didn't end well," she says cryptically.

The brunette furrows her brow in confusion. "What do you mean?" she asks, intrigued.

"It has bhang in it!" Hira Aunty laughs and reveals, dropping the bombshell like it's no big deal.

Well, isn't that just typical? To accidentally sip on some spiked drinks at a Holi party. Classic.

We all practically slam our glasses down on the table simultaneously, like they're hot irons burning our fingers, and mumble, "I'll be right back," in unison before scattering off in different directions.

I don't know about them, I can't help but feel like I need a cold water splash on my face, ASAP. So, I start heading towards the house, desperate to cool down a bit.

But then, I spot him. Alec. Looking all kinds of delicious and edible, like a forbidden treat. And suddenly, my plans for a quick cool-down fly out the window as I find myself walking towards him instead.

Before I can reach Alec, some blonde bombshell of a girl beats me to the punch. She's all flirty smiles and giggles, trying to smother Alec in colors, and he's just standing there, holding her hand up like it's the most natural thing in the world.

My blood boils at the sight, jealousy rearing its ugly head as I watch them interact.

It's like someone's poured a bucket of ice water over my head, snapping me out of whatever trance I was in.

As I watch Alec with that bombshell girl, rage boils up inside me. How dare he? He kissed me, damn it. Does that mean anything to him? No, obviously not.

He probably thinks I'm just another conquest, another name to add to his list.

But I refuse to be his play toy. I grab a glass of water from a nearby table, my hands trembling with fury as I stalk towards him. And then, without a second thought, I throw the water right in his face.

Alec's eyes close shut, the water cascading down his face, and he drops the girl's hand instinctively. She stares at me like I've grown a second head, shock written all over her face.

But I don't stick around to study their reactions. I've made my statement loud and clear.

******

I sit by the pool, my hands clenched into fists at my sides, fury coursing through my veins. But beneath the anger, something inside me breaks at the sight of Alec with someone else. No matter how hard I try to ignore him, to pretend I'm unaffected by his presence, the truth is, he affects me in ways I can't even begin to explain.

Every glance, every touch, every word from him matters to me more than I'd care to admit. And seeing him so close to someone else, holding her hand like he's completely forgotten about me, it breaks my heart in a way I never thought possible.

I want to look away, to pretend like it doesn't bother me, but I can't. Because deep down, I know that everything about Alec matters to me, whether I wants to admit it or not. And right now, seeing him with someone else, it's tearing me apart inside.

"Who the fuck are you?" Someone's yelling at me, and I look up to find the bombshell girl standing there, looking like she's ready to start a war.

"Why do you care?" I retort, standing up to meet her gaze.

She replies coldly, "I don't."

I can feel my anger boiling over as I glare back at her. "Your presence here says otherwise," I shoot back, not backing down.

She looks super mad, but honestly, so am I. "Whoever you are, stay away from Alec," she warns, her voice dripping with venom.

"And what if I don't?" I challenge, refusing to let her intimidate me.

"Listen here, Alec and I go way back. Do not come between us. He's mine," she declares, and my heart shatters into a million pieces. Is she... his girlfriend? No, that can't be true. He doesn't do girlfriends, right?

"Oh, so you're delusional. Cute," I sneer, trying to mask the hurt in my voice.

But then, she snaps. "You stupid fuck!" she yells, and before I can react, she shoves me into the pool. I plummet into the water, the shock of the cold hitting me like a ton of bricks.

I can hear her and her friends joining in, laughing as I struggle to stay afloat, the sound echoing in my ears like a taunt.

"You needed that lesson. Stay away from Alec," she calls out before walking away, leaving me to struggle in the water, feeling more alone than ever.

As I thrash in the water, panic gripping me tightly, I can feel the weight of the water pressing down on me, swallowing me whole. My lungs burn for air, but every gasp only fills them with more water.

Fear courses through me like a raging river, and for a moment, I feel like I'm going to be swallowed up by the darkness surrounding me.

******

Am I dead? My body feels numb, and for a moment, I fear the worst. But then, I open my eyes to find Alec standing in front of me, his concerned gaze fixed on mine.

Taking a moment to gather my thoughts, I glance around and realize that I'm in Alec's room, lying on his bed. Confusion clouds my mind as I try to piece together what's happening to me.

A cough escapes me. Suddenly, Alec is beside me, offering a glass of water. I take it gratefully, my throat feeling parched and dry. As I drink, Alec asks, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," I respond weakly, trying to brush off the gravity of the situation.

Hira Aunty steps forward, her worried expression confirming that something serious had occurred.

"You almost drowned," she explains gently. "Are you feeling okay now?"

I nod in response, still trying to process the events that led me here.

Mr. Carson's voice interrupts the silence. "Do you need anything?" he inquires.

"No, thank you," I reply softly, feeling a sense of gratitude for their concern.

Hira Aunty nods understandingly. "Okay, we'll leave you to rest," she says, and I begin to rise from the bed, insisting that I'm fine.

But Alec stops me, his voice firm as he declares, "No, you're not."

I look to his parents for support, and they simply nod before quietly exiting the room.

Jack's voice breaks through the tension. "You should really get some rest."

"Yeah, that could've ended really badly if Alec didn't jump in," Nick adds, his words carrying the weight of what could have been a tragic outcome.

I look at Alec, a mix of emotions swirls inside me. He jumped in to save me? Just when I was starting to lean towards hating him, he goes and does something like this.

Alec gets up, his hand gripping his hair in frustration as he speaks. "That's how you decided to hide?" His anger is evident in his tone. "Who the fuck jumps in a pool if they don't know how to swim?" He sounds beyond frustrated.

My own anger flares up in response. "I wasn't hiding in there!" I snap back, my voice matching his in intensity. "And I didn't jump."

Alec's expression turns serious. "Then what the fuck were you doing in there? Playing hockey?" His frustration is palpable.

Nick starts to laugh,  "Shut up, Nick," Alec and Jack quickly shut him down, simultaneously, clearly not finding the situation amusing.

Jack speaks up, "Let's get out of here," he is gesturing for Nick to follow him.

Without another word, the two of them exit the room, leaving Alec and me alone in the aftermath of our heated exchange.

I get up from the bed and steadying myself on my legs.

I don't want to spend any more time in Alec's presence than necessary, so I move with purpose, making an attempt to walk out.

Alec moves swiftly, backing me up against the nearest wall. His words are like a warning shot, laced with a fierce command. "I said, Do not fucking run away from me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

526K 19.8K 69
SHRANAV OBEROI - 27 yrs CEO of Shriar & co. A tall, well built , handsome man, has anger issues, to arrogant known as the devil in his office. Loves...
200K 19.1K 57
Book #1 of the Stars Series. ~She taught him to speak out loud He taught her to hear the silence~ ✨ "Do you remember, What the hell did you do Miss...
151K 6.7K 41
"So you approached me without being aware of my identity?" He asks me, while raising an eyebrow. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. It...
52.9K 3.9K 29
"Listen to me Pihu, there hasn't been a day in the past week where I haven't thought about you. Your comfort, smile, and warmth makes my heart pull i...