๐’๐„๐‹๐„๐๐„

By hellencristine

๐‹๐ˆ๐’๐“๐„๐, Selene didn't want to be a Goddess... She was a normal fifteen-year-old-class president, a ded... More

๐’๐„๐‹๐„๐๐„
๐๐‘๐„๐‹๐”๐ƒ๐„
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ˆ - ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ญ๐ข๐ญ๐š๐ง'๐ฌ ๐œ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐ž
๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐•
๐•
๐•๐ˆ
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐—
๐—
๐—๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐•
๐—๐•
๐—๐•๐ˆ
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐—
๐—๐—
๐—๐—๐ˆ
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐›๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฅ๐š๐›๐ฒ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ก
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐•
๐—๐—๐•
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐—
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ

๐—๐—๐ˆ๐—

962 70 59
By hellencristine

My mind forgets to remind me you're a bad idea
You touch me once and it's really something

𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐬 𝐟𝐥𝐲, taylor swift

As they reached the deck of the farmhouse, Selene went straight for the couch. She kicked her sneakers up onto the cushions, making herself entirely at home.

Meanwhile, Geryon attempted to assert some authority, starting to tell Eurytion to tie up the rest of her friends. Selene merely raised a finger with a chuckle escaping her lips.

"Boys, boys," she chided, shaking her head. "That's not going to happen."

With a nod of her head, all of them—Tyson, Grover, Annabeth and Nico, were brought up sliding across the room, as if an invisible force pulled them close to her. "Take a load off, folks. Nico, you're sitting with me."

"Don't tell me what to do," he scoffed, but begrudgingly took a seat beside her anyway, unable to resist the pull of her forces.

The deck was set up for a party. Streamers and balloons decorated the railing.

Geryon didn't seem content. "Listen, in MY ranch, you take MY—"

Selene glanced back at him, her body halfway turned in his direction. Her eyes held no pupils, just shimmering silver.

"You're dying today, Geryon," she said softly, as if she was telling her aunt they'd be baking carrot cake later that evening.

And that was it. Nothing else.

"You cannot kill me."

Selene chuckled again, finding the entire situation amusing. "Who said I would bother? You're no threat to me."

Then, her eyes fell on Eurytion.

"Does your friend over here oppose to me by any way?"

He didn't say anything. Eurytion lounged at a picnic table, picking his fingernails with a knife.

Geryon sighed, and then grabbed a spatula. He turned after a while and started flipping burgers on a huge barbecue cooker made from an oil drum.

Annabeth nervously drummed her fingers on the hilt of her dagger, glancing sideways at Selene, who lounged casually beside her. "You've never been that confident," she whispered.

"Yeah, but I've always been a good liar."

She nodded. "Plan?"

"That's your job, Wise Girl. I'm just here for the dramatic flair and occasional witty jokes."

Grover grimaced. "He's barbecuing the sacred cows," he cried, pointing at Geryon.

"Smells yummy," Tyson said.

Grover glanced at him. "Excuse me?"

Nico was strangely quiet. Not that he'd ever been anything but quiet those last few days, but it still was different. His XL jacket was exposing a small part of right arm, and Selene noticed there was something there. Like a tattoo. A black glyph like a cross with curved arms and a "head".

"Don't tell me you got tatts," she muttered under her breath.

Nico followed her gaze and quickly pulled his sleeve down.

"You recognize it?"

Selene scratched her chin, furrowing her brows as she wracked her brain trying to place where she'd seen it before.

"Should I?"

"Yes."

"Oh, shoot." Her eyes widened. "It's from Shadowhunters, right? I knew it."

"From what?"

"That Netflix show, Shadowhunters," she said as if she'd just cracked the most difficult puzzle ever. Then, she leaned even closer, "I hope it's temporary. How will I explain this to Chiron?"

"You're not telling anyone about this. You can't."

She looked at him. Selene tried her best to keep everyone chill, even though Grover was languishing at the sight of the cows hamburger, and Tyson was too focused on trying to pet the two-headed dog. But when she looked at Nico, she realized how sad his eyes were. He looked like he hadn't rested in so long. Or eaten. Or talked to anyone but ghosts.

He was actively trying to sound intimidating. It may have gotten on Percy and the others, yet it didn't affect her. Maybe it was the fact she was his patron—Selene could only see him as a scared eleven-year-old boy, lost and alone in a world far too big and unforgiving.

He scrunched up his face. "Stop glaring me."

"I am not!" He raised an eyebrow. "Just a little."

Nico crossed his arms tightly across his chest, his posture rigid. "What's on your mind?"

"Don't blame Percy," she said. "Blame me."

"Ok. I'll blame you two."

"That's not what I meant!" She exclaimed, then sighed. "I should've done something, not Percy, not any of them. If you want to curse someone, curse me. If you want to take your rage on someone, do it on me. He doesn't deserve, but I do, Nico."

Nico remained silent, his gaze fixed on the sky as though he were lost in his own thoughts, oblivious to her words.

After a tense pause, he finally turned to look at her. "I feel death around you."

Selene's breath caught in her throat, her body tensing involuntarily. The mark behind her ear seemed to throb intensely. "What do you mean? Am I dying?"

"I said around you, not in you."

"Thanks, now I'm relieved."

"You're not supposed to be here," he muttered bluntly. "There's a reason why gods and half-bloods don't linger—it disrupts the balance of the world. I can sense the chaos swirling around and within you."

She nodded. "Well, you've certainly picked up a lot during those months."

Nico's lips curved into a faint, almost imperceptible smile. "I've had a good teacher."

She didn't even have the chance to ask him what he meant, as in the same moment she opened her mouth, Percy stormed on the deck.

"Let them go!" He yelled, still out of breath from running up the steps. "I cleaned the stables!"

Everyone turned back, looking at him.

Geryon also turned. He wore an apron on each chest, with one word on each, so together they spelled out: KISS—THE—CHEF. "Did you, now? How'd you manage it?"

Percy seemed impatient. "I had this crazy idea to use seashells to create saltwater springs for them to drink from. I threw a shell into a pile of dung, and water started shooting out like a geyser. I started throwing shells all over the stables, and before I knew it, there were saltwater springs everywhere. That's the story."

He nodded appreciatively. "Very ingenious. It would've been better if you'd poisoned that pesky naiad, but no matter."

"Let my friends go," Percy said. "We had a deal."

"Ah, I've been thinking about that. The problem is, if I let them go, I don't get paid."

Selene immediately got up.

"You promised!"

Geryon made a tsk-tsk noise. "But did you make me swear on the River Styx? No you didn't. So it's not binding. When you're conducting business, sonny, you should always get a binding oath."

Percy drew his sword. Orthus growled. One head leaned down next to Grover's ear and bared its fangs.

Apart from Selene, none of them could get up from the sofa. It was like they were tied there.

"Let them go!" She shouted at him.

"I'm afraid you won't be able to fight me as you said before, will you?" He pointed at her neck. It was growing bigger and bigger, and now the mark was visible even with her hair down. Then, he turned to Percy. "Eurytion," Geryon said, "the boy is starting to annoy me. Kill him."

Eurytion studied Percy.

"Kill him yourself," he said. Geryon raised his eyebrows.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me," Eurytion grumbled. "You keep sending me out to do your dirty work. You pick fights for no good reason, and I'm getting tired of dying for you. You want to fight the kid, do it yourself."

It was the most un-Areslike thing she'd ever heard son of Ares say.

Geryon threw down his spatula. "You dare defy me? I should fire you right now!"

"And who'd take care of your cattle? Orthus, heel."

The dog immediately stopped growling at Grover and came to sit by the cowherd's feet.

"Fine!" Geryon snarled. "I'll deal with you later, after the boy is dead!"

Geryon picked up two carving knives and threw them at Percy. He deflected one with his sword, but Riptide was sent flying from his grasp. The other impaled itself in... Selene's back.

She'd managed to transport herself a millisecond before the knife would hit Percy. She shielded him with her own body, hands gripping on his shoulders as tight as she could.

As Percy stared at her, his eyes widened in shock, Selene simply smiled back at him. "Take it off, please? It itches."

Everything around them seemed to be happening in slow motion. Probably because it was.

As he reached out, his fingers trembled as he closed around the handle of the knife in her back. He quickly pulled the blade free like he was taking a Band-Aid off.

Once the blade was removed, Selene's form shimmered momentarily, and a brilliant sword materialized in her hand. A half-sword, half-katana. Without hesitating, she extended the weapon toward Percy.

"Here," she said. "Take this. And kill that cunt."

Time seemed to go back to normal.

Percy raised Selene's sword and went on the attack. Geryon parried his first strike with a pair of red-hot tongs and lunged at his face with a barbecue fork. Percy got inside his next thrust and stabbed him right through the middle chest.

"Aghhh!" He crumpled to his knees. Percy waited for him to disintegrate, the way monsters usually do.

Selene dashed towards her friends. They were tied up like rodeo animals, their ankles and wrists bound tightly, mouths gagged with ropes. The ropes all came from inside the sofa.

Approaching Annabeth first, Selene attempted to remove the gag, but it stubbornly refused to budge. Annabeth widened her eyes, trying to tell her something. Selene took a few breaths and steadied. "What?!" She exclaimed. Annabeth glanced down to her belt—there was a gold dagger tied to it.

She snatched the dagger. As she attempted to cut the ropes, her frustration mounted. It was as if the ropes were anchored to something—or someone. Her eyes narrowed in realization as she followed the taut lines of the ropes, tracing them back to their source: Geryon.

Geryon just grimaced and started to stand up. The wound in his chef's apron started to heal.

"Nice try, sonny," he said. "Thing is, I have three hearts. The perfect backup system."

He tipped over the barbecue, and coals spilled everywhere. One landed next to Annabeth's face, and she let out a muffled scream. Tyson strained against his bonds, but even his strength wasn't enough to break them.

Selene turned back, "Percy, I can't free them!" She shouted.

He seemed to have understood. He jabbed Geryon in the left chest, but he only laughed. Percy stuck him in the right stomach. No good. He might as well have been sticking a sword in a teddy bear for all the reaction he showed.

"Plan?"

"Don't let me die!" He shouted back, running inside the house.

"Coward!" Geryon cried. "Come back and die right!"

Selene narrowed her eyes. Like before, there were no pupils. Her eyes were shimmering silver, yet this time, full of rage. "What did you call him?"

Geryon was running after Percy, and Selene ran right behind him.

The living room walls were decorated with a bunch of gruesome hunting trophies—stuffed deer and dragon heads, a gun case, a sword display, and a bow with a quiver.

Geryon threw his barbecue fork, and it thudded into the wall right next to Percy's head. He drew two swords from the wall display. "Your head's gonna go right there, Jackson! Next to the grizzly bear!"

Selene's kick landed squarely on Geryon's chest, sending him crashing to the floor. As he struggled to rise, she lunged forward, her fist meeting his chest with a resounding crash. He staggered backward, but before he could fully regain his footing, She followed up with a kick to his side, causing him to collapse to the ground with a pained grunt.

"Let me go! You cannot kill me! I'm gonna report this to—"

But Selene didn't give him a chance to finish. She pounced upon him, raining down a series of blows. Her fists blurred as she struck a bunch of punches and kicks onto him.

She wasn't even thinking straight. All she could hear was Geryon's voice describing how he'd kill Percy. All she could see was the scene of him actually doing it, and it just fueled her rage. 

Meanwhile, Percy stood nearby, his eyes widening in shock. He even dropped her sword, slightly parching his lips.

"I told you before, Geryon. I wouldn't bother."

Geryon struggled against Selene's grip. "You fool! You don't even know what's awaiting you."

"Enough."

Percy hesitated, probably unsure of what to do (or if he could even do anything). But before he could make a move, Selene walked towards him. She retrieved her sword and placed it in his hands.

"Kill him."

She walked back to Geryon and turned him to the side. His form was already faltering.

Percy stuck her sword into the side of his right chest.

She heard THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, as the blade passed clean through each of his chests and flew out his left side, embedding itself in the forehead of the grizzly bear trophy.

He stared at both Percy and Selene. "Demons. You are... Demons..."

His face turned a sickly shade of green. He began crumbling into sand, until all that was left were three cooking aprons and an oversized pair of cowboy boots.

"Oh man, those aren't my size," she said, inspecting the boots. "Do you think they'd fit?"

Percy's movements were almost mechanical as he reached for Selene's sword. His hands trembled slightly as he grasped the hilt. Without a word, he extended the sword towards her. His voice was barely a whisper as he uttered, "That's yours."

Selene's smile was gentle as she caught it. Their fingers brushed momentarily as both their hands rested on the hilt. "What's with that face?"

"You're terrifying."

"Ah," she nodded. "I suppose we both are."

They got everyone else untied. Eurytion didn't try to stop them.

Then Percy stoked up the barbecue and threw the food into the flames as a burnt offering for Artemis and Apollo.

"Thanks, guys," he said. "I owe you one."

The sky thundered in the distance, so maybe the burgers smelled okay.

"Yay for Percy!" Tyson said. "And Selene! You might be my hero now!"

"No way!" She ran to him and hugged him as tight as she could. "That means so much, Tyson!"

"Can we tie up this cowherd now?" Nico asked.

"Yeah!" Grover agreed. "And that dog almost killed me!"

Selene looked at Eurytion, who still was sitting relaxed at the picnic table. Orthus had both his heads on the cowherd's knees. She looked back at Percy and shook her head.

"How long will it take Geryon to re-form?" Percy asked him.

Eurytion shrugged. "Hundred years? He's not one of those fast re-formers, thank the gods. You've done me a favor."

"You said you'd died for him before," he remembered. "How?"

"I've worked for that creep for thousands of years. Started as a regular half-blood, but I chose immortality when my dad offered it. Worst mistake I ever made. Now I'm stuck here at this ranch. I can't leave. I can't quit. I just tend the cows and fight Geryon's fights. We're kinda tied together."

"Maybe you can change things," Selene said.

Eurytion narrowed his eyes. "How?"

"Be nice to those animals, take care of them. Stop turning them into barbecue and don't deal with the bad side of my family."

Eurytion thought about that. "That'd be all right."

"Get the animals on your side, and they'll help you. If you follow my orders, I'll bless your farm. Once Geryon gets back, I'll command him to be your servant for eternity."

Eurytion grinned. "Now, that I could live with."

"You won't try to stop us leaving?"

"Shoot, no."

Annabeth rubbed her bruised wrists. She was still looking at Eurytion suspiciously. "Your boss said somebody paid for our safe passage. Who?"

The cowherd shrugged. "Maybe he was just saying that to fool you."

"What about the Titans?" Percy asked. "Did you Iris-message them about Nico yet?"

"Nope. Geryon was waiting until after the barbecue. They don't know about him."

Nico as glaring at Percy. Selene doubted he would agree to come with them because of Percy. On the other hand, she couldn't just let him roam around on his own. She'd vowed not to.

"You could stay here until we're done with our quest," Percy told him, as if he was reading Selene's mind. "It would be safe."

"Safe?" Nico said. "What do you care if I'm safe? You got my sister killed!"

"Nico," Annabeth said, "that wasn't Percy's fault. And Geryon wasn't lying about Kronos wanting to capture you. If he knew who you were, he'd do anything to get you on his side."

"I'm not on anyone's side. And I'm not afraid."

"You should be," Annabeth said. "Your sister wouldn't want—"

"If you cared for my sister, you'd help me bring her back!"

"A soul for a soul?" Percy asked.

"Yes!"

"But if you didn't want my soul—"

"I'm not explaining anything to you!" He blinked tears out of his eyes. "And I will bring her back."

"Bianca wouldn't want to be brought back," Selene muttered. They all looked at her. "I blessed her, Nico. She was content with her destiny. Your father—"

"You didn't know her!" he shouted. "How do you know what she'd want?"

She stared at the flames in the barbecue pit. She felt Percy's hand on her shoulder, trying to somehow comfort her as he said, "Let's ask Bianca."

The sky seemed to grow darker all of a sudden.

"I've tried," Nico said miserably. "She won't answer."

"Try again. I've got a feeling she'll answer with me and Selene here."

"Why would she?"

"Because she's been sending me Iris-messages," he said, suddenly sure of it. Selene turned to look at him. "She's been trying to warn us what you're up to, so we can protect you."

Nico shook his head. "That's impossible. Not you, Percy. She wouldn't trust you with this."

Well, he didn't mention Selene. A win is a win.

"One way to find out. You said you're not afraid." He turned to Eurytion. "We're going to need a pit, like a grave. And food and drinks."

"Percy," Annabeth warned. "I don't think this is a good—"

"All right," Nico said. "I'll try."

Eurytion scratched his beard. "There's a hole dug out back for a septic tank. We could use that. Cyclops boy, fetch my ice chest from the kitchen. I hope the dead like root beer."

Selene raised her hand. "I do!"

They did their summons after dark, at a twenty-foot-long pit in front of the septic tank. The tank was bright yellow, with a smiley face and red words painted on the side: HAPPY FLUSH DISPOSAL CO. It didn't quite go with the mood of summoning the dead.

The moon was full. Silver clouds drifted across the sky.

"Minos should be here by now," Nico said, frowning. "It's full dark."

"Traffic's bad this time," Selene smirked. Nico glared at her. "Don't you have cars in the Underworld? How do you transport people?"

"They walk."

"Jezz. Good thing I'm immortal, then. Y'all be safe."

Nico poured root beer and tossed barbecue into the pit, then began chanting in Ancient Greek. Immediately the bugs in the woods stopped chirping.

"Make him stop," Tyson whispered to Selene, gripping tightly on her arm.

"Excuse me, yes, you're crushing me."

"Immortal?"

"That's exactly how strong you are right now."

The night air felt cold and menacing. But before they could say anything else, the first spirits appeared. Sulfurous mist seeped out of the ground. Shadows thickened into human forms. One blue shade drifted to the edge of the pit and knelt to drink.

"Stop him!" Nico said, momentarily breaking his chant. "Only Bianca may drink!"

Percy drew Riptide. The ghosts retreated with a collective hiss at the sight of his celestial bronze blade. But it was too late to stop the first spirit. He had already solidified into the shape of a bearded man in white robes. A circlet of gold wreathed his head, and even in death his eyes were alive with malice.

"Minos!" Nico said. "What are you doing?"

"My apologies, master," the ghost said, though he didn't sound very sorry. "The sacrifice smelled so good, I couldn't resist." He examined his own hands and smiled. "It is good to see myself again. Almost in solid form—"

"You are disrupting the ritual!" Nico protested. "Get—"

The spirits of the dead began shimmering dangerously bright, and Nico had to take up the chant again to keep them at bay.

"Yes, quite right, master," Minos said with amusement. "You keep chanting. I've only come to protect you from these liars who would deceive you."

He turned to me as if I were some kind of cockroach. "Percy Jackson...my, my. The sons of Poseidon haven't improved over the centuries, have they?"

"We're looking for Bianca di Angelo," he said. "Get lost."

The ghost chuckled. "I understand you once killed my Minotaur with your bare hands. But worse things await you in the maze. Do you really believe Daedalus will help you?"

The other spirits stirred in agitation. Annabeth drew her knife and helped Percy keep them away from the pit. Grover got so nervous he clung to Selene's shoulder. With Grover on one side and Tyson on the other, there wasn't much she could do.

"What do we have here?" He looked straight into Selene's eyes. "You were feared one day. Not anymore. Now you're as pathetic as your companions."

"Bla, bla bla. And you can't get laid. Suck that."

"Anyways. Daedalus cares nothing for you," Minos warned. "You can't trust him. He is old beyond counting, and crafty. He is bitter from the guilt of murder and is cursed by the gods."

"The guilt of murder?" Percy asked. "Who did he kill?"

"Do not change the subject!" the ghost growled. "You are hindering Nico. You try to persuade him to give up on his goal. I would make him a lord!"

"Enough, Minos," Nico commanded.

The ghost sneered. "Master, these are your enemies. You must not listen to them! Let me protect you. I will turn their minds to madness, as I did the others."

"The others?" Annabeth gasped. "You mean Chris Rodriguez? That was you?"

"The maze is my property," the ghost said, "not Daedalus's! Those who intrude deserve madness."

"Be gone, Minos!" Nico demanded. "I want to see my sister!"

The ghost bit back his rage. "As you wish, master. But I warn you. You cannot trust these heroes."

With that, he faded into mist.

Other spirits rushed forward, but Annabeth and Percy kept them back.

Selene tilted her head slightly. "How can someone so evil be named Minion? Minions are so cute."

"It's Minos," Grover corrected.

"Oh. Okay."

"Bianca, appear!" Nico intoned. He started chanting faster, and the spirits shifted restlessly.

"Any time now," Grover muttered.

Then a silvery light flickered in the trees—a spirit that seemed brighter and stronger than the others. It came closer, and something told me to let it pass. It knelt to drink at the pit. When it arose, it was the ghostly form of Bianca di Angelo.

Nico's chanting faltered. Percy lowered his sword. The other spirits started to crowd forward, but Bianca raised her arms and they retreated into the woods.

"Hello, Percy," she said.

Selene slowly got out of Tyson and Grover's grip. She took a step forward.

"M'lady," Bianca bowed. "You are so beautiful. Just like the moon and the stars."

Bianca looked the same as she had in life: a green cap set sideways on her thick black hair, dark eyes and olive skin like her brother. She wore jeans and a silvery jacket, the outfit of a Hunter of Artemis. A bow was slung over her shoulder. She smiled faintly, and her whole form flickered.

"Bianca," Percy said. His voice was thick.

Selene couldn't say anything. After some months, she'd come to terms with Bianca's death. She didn't feel sad all the time anymore, although part of her wished she'd done more whenever she thought of Nico. Seeing Bianca in front of her was five times as bad, like her death was fresh and new.

She remembered seeing Bianca leave, hands tied with the man Selene then learned to be Hades. He looked back at her and smiled, as if he, too, didn't blame her for Bianca's death. Then why did she feel so guilty at times?

"I'm so sorry," Percy said.

"You have nothing to apologize for, Percy. I made my own choice. I don't regret it."

"Bianca!" Nico stumbled forward like he was just coming out of a daze.

She turned toward her brother. Her expression was sad, as if she'd been dreading this moment. "Hello, Nico. You've gotten so tall."

"Why didn't you answer me sooner?" he cried. "I've been trying for months!"

"I was hoping you would give up. Especially after I sent m'lady to help you."

Umm, Bianca? Selene thought. I wasn't sent anywhere.

"Give up?" He sounded heartbroken. "How can you say that? I'm trying to save you!"

"You can't, Nico. Don't do this. Percy is right."

"No! He let you die! He's not your friend."

Bianca stretched out a hand as if to touch her brother's face, but she was made of mist. Her hand evaporated as it got close to living skin.

"You must listen to me," she said. "Holding a grudge is dangerous for a child of Hades. It is our fatal flaw. You have to forgive. You have to promise me this."

"I can't. Never."

"Percy has been worried about you, Nico. He can help. I let him see what you were up to, hoping he would find you."

"So it was you," Percy said. "You sent those Iris-messages."

Bianca nodded.

"Why are you helping him and not me?" Nico screamed. "It's not fair!"

"You are close to the truth now," Bianca told him. "It's not Percy you're mad at, Nico. It's me."

"No."

"You're mad because I left you to become a Hunter of Artemis. You're mad because I died and left you alone. I'm sorry for that, Nico. I truly am. But you must overcome the anger. And stop blaming Percy for my choices. It will be your doom."

"She's right," Annabeth broke in. "Kronos is rising, Nico. He'll twist anyone he can to his cause."

"I don't care about Kronos," Nico said. "I just want my sister back."

"You can't have that, Nico," Bianca told him gently.

"I'm the son of Hades! I can."

"Don't try," she said. "If you love me, don't..."

Her voice trailed off. Spirits had started to gather around them again, and they seemed agitated. Their shadows shifted. Their voices whispered, Danger!

"Tartarus stirs," Bianca said. "Your power draws the attention of Kronos. The dead must return to the Underworld. It is not safe for us to remain." Then, she turned to Selene. "You've been keeping your promise. Thank you, my friend."

Selene smiled. She physically couldn't say anything. Her eyes were bloodshot.

"Wait," Nico said. "Please—"

"Good-bye, Nico," Bianca said. "I love you. Remember what I said."

Her form shivered and the ghosts disappeared, leaving them alone with a pit, a Happy Flush septic tank, and a cold full moon.

Nico turned back and abruptly hugged Selene. It wasn't a caring hug. It was a desperate one.

"Help me revive my sister," he cried out, his voice trembling with anguish. Nico was now at eye level with Selene, his tear-streaked face pleading with her in a way that no words could explain. He gripped onto her with all his strength, his small hands clutching at her desperately. "Please, you're a god. You can do anything!"

He looked like he'd given up on looking older, more intimidating. He just looked like a heartbroken eleven-year-old.

"Nico..." her voice faltered. She reached out to gently stroke his hair. "Nico..."

"Wipe my memories!" His voice was an octave higher now. He pushed himself away from her, and raised his finger. "Make me forget!"

Tears welled up in Selene's eyes as she placed her hands on Nico's trembling shoulders.

"I can't."

None of them were anxious to travel that night, so they decided to wait until morning.

Annabeth and Selene crashed in one of the bedrooms, laying at a mattress so stiff they could be more comfortable on the bedrolls.

They were supposed to sleep. Then again, Selene didn't need sleep, and she was so mentally drained she also didn't want to magically hop into a dream with Kronos. Instead, she lay there, staring at the ceiling for what felt like hours, her mind too weary to think of anything.

As Selene's thoughts began to consume her once more, she rose from the mattress and quietly slipped out of the bedroom.

Stepping into the corridor, her eyes wandered around the hallway until they landed on Percy and Grover, sprawled out on the leather sofas in the living room. However, they weren't who she was searching for.

Turning her gaze to the other side of the corridor, she noticed Nico by the slightly ajar door. He sat on the edge of the bed, his silhouette barely visible due to how dark the room was. His eyes were fixed on his sword, and she could only see his frame by the moonlight coming through the window.

Before her hand reached the knob, Nico's voice echoed. "Don't come in."

His voice sounded exactly like it would if he'd just smoked three packs of cigarettes in a row. He didn't even turn to look at her.

She opened the door nevertheless. "Already in."

Nico sat rigidly on the edge of the bed, his back straight and his jaw clenched. His hands gripped the hilt of his sword, and his knuckles were white.

Though his gaze remained fixed on the weapon before him, there was a distant, haunted look in his eyes.

Selene walked over to him and sat at a good distance from him. They remained like this for a while before she sighed. "Wanna talk about what happened?"

Nico looked at her straight in the eye. Taking a deep inhale, he managed to say, "It isn't fair." His hands were fisted on both sides.

She lightly nodded. "None of it is fair."

He pressed his lips tightly. "I wish I died instead of her."

She felt her chest tighten.

"Me too."

Silence.

There was nothing but the echo of their voices, repeating and repeating.

"Not a day goes by where I don't think of her," she continued, her voice trembling slightly. "I don't think I'll ever be at peace, and I hope that brings you a little solace."

He was looking at her square on.

Selene's hand was lying on her knee, clenching and unclenching as she was debating whether to reach out and touch him. For a moment, it hovered over his shoulder, but she hesitated, uncertain if her touch would be welcomed.

"Why did she show up to Percy? Why is he so special, and not me? Why did she abandon me so easily?" His voice cut through his throat.

Nico's head fell forward and landed in his hands. He had tears dropping down on his face. Selene made no move to comfort him—she knew he wouldn't welcome her touch. Instead, she just sat there while he fell apart.

"You can't bring her back, can you?" He lifted his head slightly, eyes red and puffy.

"I'm really sorry."

He cleared his throat. "Can you cut my hair?" he asked. "Bianca used to do it for me, but now..."

"Yeah, sure."

With a subtle motion of her hand, she summoned a pair of gleaming silver scissors into her palm. They materialized with a faint shimmer, catching the dim light of the room as she held them between her fingers.

She shifted closer to Nico, and he closed his eyes. As she began to trim his long hair, she noticed how unkempt it had become over the months since she'd last seen him. It seemed like he hadn't taken care of it at all during that time.

For a second, Nico opened his eyes, and a sole teardrop traced down his cheek.

Though she wasn't skilled in the art of hairdressing like Aphrodite, she did her best to shape Nico's hair, aiming for a style similar to Thalia's. Despite her efforts, the result was a bit messy, with some spiky strands sticking out haphazardly.

"I've gotta tell you something," Nico said after a while. His voice slightly cracked. "You're hot."

She took a step back. "Mhm, what?"

He slapped his forehead. "Not in that way, dumbo," he said. "Your body temperature. It's like you've got a fever or something."

Her hand moved instinctively to the mark behind her ear. "Is it noticeable?"

He curtly nodded his head once, but didn't explain any further.

"It's called the Mark of Moonstone. Apparently I've gotten it once before. It's a punishment for breaking ancient laws by joining this quest, and the more it grows, the weaker I get."

Nico turned his head away, wiping the sole tear from his face, then faced her again. "I know someone who could help you."

"Who?"

"I can't tell you."

"That's very helpful."

His head tipped to the side, and then he pushed his hair from his face. "I think there's a way of strengthening you, and she could help me. By tomorrow, I'll try to contact her somehow."

"Are you sure? I mean, will it be dangerous? I don't want you to risk yourself for this."

"I'll be just fine. And I owe you one anyway."

After some time, Nico practically kicked her off, saying he needed to catch some sleep—yet both of them knew he wouldn't be able to.

When she walked down the hallway, she noticed a light on. Then, she heard whispering voices. The television was going. Blue light flickered through the room.

"Two in the morning," she heard Grover say. "I couldn't sleep. I was watching the Nature Channel." He sniffled. "I miss Juniper."

Percy rubbed his eyes and sat lazily. "Yeah, well...you'll see her again soon."

"What are y'all talking about?"

Selene plopped down beside Percy on his couch. They had both legs stretched out in front of them and she leaned back on her palm. Percy instantly turned to look down where her right outer thigh touched his left outer thigh, though there was literally nothing intimate about their position.

It was like every tiny molecule of his existence was focused on that one solitary spot.

And Selene didn't even notice.

"Do you know what day it is, Mene? I just saw it on TV. It's June thirteenth. Seven days since we left camp." Grover shook his head sadly.

"Oh. That shouldn't be right but kinda makes sense. Time moves differently in the maze, doesn't it?"

Grover nodded. Percy tilted his head slightly, "how did you know?"

She turned her head to the right and looked at him. "When we went down there, we thought we were only gone a few minutes, right? But it was an hour."

"Oh," he said. "Right." Then he turned to Grover. "Your deadline with the Council of Cloven Elders."

Grover put the TV remote in his mouth and crunched off the end of it. "I'm out of time," he said with a mouthful of plastic. "As soon as I go back, they'll take away my searcher's license. I'll never be allowed to go out again."

"We'll talk to them," he promised. "Make them give you more time."

Grover swallowed. "They'll never go for it. The world is dying. What you did today—saving the ranch animals from Geryon—that was amazing. I—I wish I could be more like you."

Selene raised her hand, "hey, I helped too!"

"Of course you did," Grover nodded. "But I didn't. I just stood there, watching."

"Hey," Percy intervened. "Don't say that. You're just as much a hero—"

"No I'm not. I keep trying, but..." He sighed. "I can't go back to camp without finding Pan. I just can't. You understand that, don't you? I can't face Juniper if I fail. I can't even face myself."

His voice was so unhappy it hurt to hear.

"Grover, you're like the James Bond of satyrs, except with a flute instead of guns," Selene said. "I'm sure we'll sort something out. If not, I'll just threat to incinerate the entire Council of Elders and put you as the supreme goat."

"It's a reed pipe," he sniffled. "Not a flute."

"Selene is right. You haven't failed. You're the champion goat boy, all right? Juniper knows that. So do we."

Grover closed his eyes. "Champion goat boy," he muttered dejectedly.

A long time after he dozed off, Percy and Selene were still awake, watching the blue light of the Nature Channel wash over the stuffed trophy heads on Geryon's walls.

Selene had somehow managed to catch the TV remote from Grover's hands and was switching channels while Percy lay on the opposite side of the sofa, looking at her.

Selene's mouth curled up into a smile and she said without taking her eyes off of the TV, "Quit watching me, creeper."

"I've been thinking about what Geryon said. I'm afraid you won't be able to fight me as you said before. What did he mean?"

Her heart skipped a beat.

"I'm not sure. He was probably talking about the Ancient Laws," Selene replied, trying to maintain her composure. She turned to him, noting his lack of enthusiasm for her answer. "Deadpool is airing, let's watch it," she said, pointing to the TV with the remote.

Percy sat upright on the sofa and turned to the TV. His posture was straight and rigid, as if he was nervous.

Selene shifted slightly to the side. She patted the cushion she was using as a pillow, offering him half of it. "Here, you can lay down if you want," she said softly.

He inched closer to Selene until he was laying beside her. Their shoulders brushed lightly, sending a tingle down her spine.

"Your head is so big I can't see anything," Percy said, breaking the comfortable silence.

Selene rolled her eyes. She shifted downward on the sofa until her head was at the level of his chest.

"Is it better now?" she asked.

For a while, they were silent. They could only hear Ryan Reynolds' voice echoing through the TV. 

"You once said I cannot scare you. But earlier, when we were fighting Geryon—"

He interrupted her. "Hey, hey, hold up. I wasn't scared. It's just... seeing you like that, it's like, whoa. You're this super powerful goddess, and it kinda hits me that you're way out of our league. Like, you're not just my buddy Mene anymore. You're like, divine and stuff."

"Percy, I'm still me. I've always been this amazing—and out of your league too."

"Yeah, I know," he grinned, running a hand through his hair. "But when I remember you're a goddess, it feels like getting hit by a tidal wave. I don't think I'll ever get used to it."

"Maybe you shouldn't."

He didn't ask her what she meant, but they both probably low-key knew it. He was the only person who knew the human side of her. The real her. The only person who didn't treat her as an unattainable being. 

To Percy, she was just 'his buddy Mene', and maybe that's why she liked him so much.

He glanced down at her. "Aren't you falling off?"

She waved off dismissively. "Nah, I'm good," she replied casually, her eyes fixed on the screen.

"Come closer," he leaned in, his hand gently skimming her waist as he pulled her towards him.

Selene's breath caught in her throat. Her heart raced as she realized just how close they were, her back now pressed against his chest, a touch of her cotton against his fleece.

She felt as if she'd forgotten how to breathe.

She stole a glance over her shoulder, only to find him completely focused in the movie, seemingly unaffected by their closeness.

What she didn't notice was Percy's chest rising and falling in tandem with hers, as if he too found it difficult to breathe.

"I had a nightmare," he muttered, moving his hand to her hair and playing with it, curling and twirling around. "Did you have one too?"

"No, I wasn't sleeping," she whispered back. "Tell me about it. Was it Kronos?"

"At first, yeah. Kronos and Luke. Then I saw Deadalus again. I saw him... killing off his nephew, Perdix. Perdix was full of ideas, talking about capturing souls, creating automatons. He was a kid with a mind beyond his years and I think Daedalus grew envious of him."

She listened intently, her brow furrowing as Percy continued. "Perdix showed Daedalus some inventions he'd made, and he was so excited about them. But Daedalus didn't seem impressed. Then Perdix talked about creating something... something like a bronze form for a man. Daedalus dismissed it as impossible, but Perdix was determined. He believed in combining magic and mechanics to make it work."

Percy poured the words out in a rush as he continued, reliving the scene in his mind.

"Then, Perdix lost his balance and fell from the tower, and Daedalus didn't even try to save him. It was like he let him fall on purpose. And then... then there was this voice, Athena's voice, blaming Daedalus for what happened. And suddenly, Daedalus was in agony, and I felt it too, like something was choking me."

Selene's heart clenched at the thought of such eternal punishment. She thought of herself, her own mark. "Oh my, Percy," her voice was barely above a whisper. "I'm sorry you had to go through it."

"It's fine honestly. I've always had those types of visions/dreams."

She took a deep breath and turned to face him. But instead of the troublemaker smile that was Percy's default, he gave her a very-obvious-sad one.

"You say honestly in the most dishonest way," she whispered.

He reached out to brush a stray lock of hair from her face. "I wasn't fine then, but I'm honestly fine now," he replied, emphasizing the word 'honestly'.

There were a million things she needed to worry about now—the lingering burning feeling growing, now starting to trace a path down her back. Percy's vision. The quest. Nico.

But all she could think about was his flexed jaw. His smirk. His sea-blue eyes.

"We should name your sword," he said, lowering down his eyes to meet hers. He absentmindedly twirled a strand of Selene's hair between his fingers.

She nodded. "What's your suggestion?"

"I like... Earthrise."

Selene pretended to ponder for a moment, her fingers tracing circles on the fabric of the sofa. "Where did you get that from?"

He shrugged. "I don't know, but it matches mine."

"How about Moonbane?"

Percy shook his head. "Nah. Mine is way better," he insisted, his fingers trailing lightly along her hair.

She rolled her eyes, which made him chuckle.

"You're missing out on the fight with Ajax," he said, pointing out to the TV with his chin.

"I'll head back to my room," she replied, sitting upright and stretching her arms. "You should get some sleep too."

Percy sat up as well, looking puzzled. "Wait, what? Why?"

She gave him a knowing look. "I don't think it's comfortable for you like this."

"I'm very comfortable," he protested, laying back down and stretching his arms out wide. "This is the most comfortable I've ever been. Five stars for this couch."

"Good night, Percy Jackson," she said, rising to her feet and running a hand through her hair. She waved at him and made her way across the living room to her door. Before stepping inside, she glanced back at him. "Try to rest a bit."

"Okay. Good night," he replied, his voice sounding a bit strained.

She looked back one last time and saw Percy picking up the cushion and pressing it against his face, as if trying to stifle a scream. She wondered why.

The next morning they walked down to the cattle guard and said their goodbyes.

"Nico, you could come with us," Percy blurted out.

He shook his head. Before exiting his room last night, Selene had summoned a plate of food for him to eat—everything a normal eleven-year-old would go nuts for. Hamburgers, fries, pizza, poke bowls, you name it. He looked like he hadn't eaten any of it.

Nico looked worse than anybody else. His eyes were red and his face chalky. He was wrapped in a black robe that must've belonged to Geryon, because it was three sizes too big even for a grown man.

"I need time to think." He said. There was still some lingering anger in his voice as he replied to Percy, yet when he looked at Selene, his eyes softened a little. Nothing noticeable, though.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" Selene asked. No one besides the two of them knew what she truly meant with that question.

Nico nodded.

He turned around and trudged up the road toward the ranch house. Maybe it was her imagination, but the morning mist seemed to cling to him as he walked.

"I'm worried about him," Annabeth told her. "If he starts talking to Minos's ghost again—"

"He'll be al right," Eurytion promised. The cowherd had cleaned up nicely. He was wearing new jeans and a clean Western shirt and he'd even trimmed his beard. He'd put on Geryon's boots. "The boy can stay here and gather his thoughts as long as he wants. He'll be safe, I promise."

"What about you?" Percy asked.

Eurytion scratched Orthus behind one chin, then the other. "Things are going to be run a little different on this ranch from now on. No more sacred cattle meat. I'm thinking about soybean patties. And I'm going to befriend those flesh-eating horses. Might just sign up for the next rodeo."

He looked over at Selene, as if awaiting her approval. She responded with a nod before scanning the surroundings. "I guess this place could use some blessings here and there," she said casually, gesturing with a sweep of her hand. "Maybe some greener grass, cleaner water, and if you behave well—a five-star Google review."

"Oh, throw in some complimentary snacks for the mortal visitors while you're at it then." Percy added.

"Yep. Thinking of building an altar for my goddess-savior."

"You're working for that review, I see."

Eurytion spit into the grass. "I reckon you'll be looking for Daedalus's workshop now?"

Annabeth's eyes lit up. "Can you help us?"

Eurytion studied the cattle guard, and Selene got the feeling the subject of Daedalus's workshop made him uncomfortable. "Don't know where it is. But Hephaestus probably would."

"That's what Hera said," Annabeth agreed. "But how do we find Hephaestus?"

Eurytion pulled something from under the collar of his shirt. It was a necklace—a smooth silver disk on a silver chain. The disk had a depression on the middle, like a thumbprint. He handed it to Annabeth.

"Hephaestus comes here from time to time," Eurytion said. "Studies the animals and such so he can make bronze automaton copies. Last time, I— uh—did him a favor. A little trick he wanted to play on my dad, Ares, and Aphrodite. He gave me that chain in gratitude. Said if I ever needed to find him, the disk would lead me to his forges. But only once."

"And you're giving it to me?" Annabeth asked.

Eurytion blushed. "I don't need to see the forges, miss. Got enough to do here. Just press the button and you'll be on your way."

Annabeth pressed the button and the disk sprang to life. It grew eight metallic legs. She shrieked and dropped it, much to Eurytion's confusion.

"Spider!" Annabeth's voice reached a pitch that could break glass as she jumped into Selene's arms.

Selene stumbled backward, caught off guard, her arms automatically wrapping around her to steady herself.

She couldn't help but chuckle at Annabeth's reaction, though she struggled to keep her balance with her weight suddenly thrown onto her.

She leaned closer to Annabeth, "...are you trying to seduce me?"

"She's, um, a little scared of spiders," Grover explained. "That old grudge between Athena and Arachne."

"Oh." Eurytion looked a little embarrassed. "Sorry, miss."

Annabeth loosened her grip in Selene's neck and let go of her as the spider scrambled to the cattle guard, disappearing between the bars.

"Hurry," Percy said. "That thing's not going to wait for us."

Annabeth wasn't anxious to follow, but they didn't have much choice. They said their good-byes to Eurytion, Tyson pulled the cattle guard off the hole, and they dropped back into the maze.

Author's Note:

when I say I haven't SLEPT thinking about the next 2 chapters. I mean it. 

you're about to hate or love me. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1K 1.3K 10
Annabeth moves back to her old school. Goode High. The place she was forced away from because her dad got a job in California. The place that she ha...
6.2K 290 13
"I'm going to tell you what I told your brother not so long ago," the goddess of love started, a knowing glint in her eyes, "amor vincit omnia-love c...
11.1K 423 31
"๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘”๐‘œ๐‘‘๐‘  ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ฃ๐‘ฆ ๐‘ข๐‘ . ๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ฃ๐‘ฆ ๐‘ข๐‘  ๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘ค๐‘’'๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘™, ๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘ฆ ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ก ๐‘š๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ ๐‘๐‘’ ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ ๐‘™๏ฟฝ...