Before the Car | Escapes #0.5

By slybatspidow

ONC 2024 Participant --- Brayden has been a lot of things: salutatorian, undergrad, party boy, boyfriend, ex... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Epilogue

Chapter 10

1 0 0
By slybatspidow

Mom entered the living room after dinner. Nothing unusual about that, but she usually wasn't holding a garment bag. "What's that?" I asked after glancing at Dad, who didn't seem to think anything was unusual about it. 

She smiled at me. "Something you're going to give to Jenny tomorrow," she replied. Before I could ask her anything, she unzipped it. Inside was a beautiful dress. I wasn't sure what they called the neckline, but it was a soft blue strapless dress that flowed. The skirt was covered in a semi-transparent fabric that added to the fullness. 

It would look beautiful on Jenny. Mom could pick the best clothes. 

"Why me? She doesn't like me," I said, looking between them. "And what about me? I don't have a tux or anything rented. I mean, I guess I could see if I still fit in my sui I wore to my prom, but I think I've filled out since then."

"Got you covered," Dad said, standing. He walked out of the room and returned a minute later with another garment bag. "I already got you a suit. I'd planned on giving it to you to wear to our fundraiser later in the year, but this is a good time to give it to you."

I wasn't sure what he was talking about, what that fundraiser was, but I would take whatever it was he got for me. We liked similar styles, so I knew it would look good. He unzipped it. Inside was a nice tux and a bowtie that complimented the dress nicely. "Those really bring back memories," I said. Though, honestly, my own prom was more or less a flop. I didn't have a date, though it wasn't for a lack of choices. I had too many and didn't want to hurt anyone, so I hurt everyone by going alone in a group pf guys.

They had a good evening with girls. We'd planned to leave at some point and play video games at someone's house until dawn. It ended up that they brought the girls to a hotel in town and I went back to my house alone and played games by myself until dawn. I wasn't interested in girls enough to try to mess around with them right after my girlfriend broke up with me. Why did she leave me? Because I wasn't as invested in the relationship as she was. 

Truthfully, I wasn't as into it as she was because we were like oil and water. She showed interest, so I returned it, but the longer we dated, the more I realized we weren't meant to be. I didn't have any incentive to keep her around, so I didn't put in the effort to. I didn't think it was right to mess around less than a week after that - even though she thought it was fine to mess around with any rando that asked her to prom - and hung out by myself. 

This wasn't a do-over by any means, but a small part of me wanted it to be. 

"Hopefully you'll have some better memories this time around," Mom said softly as she sat next to me on the couch. She rubbed my back and I smiled over at her. 

"I'm sure I will." I was going to be going with Jenny, after all. There was no way my evening was going to be a flop.

---

I finished putting on my bowtie and took a deep breath. "Nervous?" Dad asked behind me. 

"Not really. It's just a high school function." The event didn't make me nervous - Jenny did. When she showed me that she was planning to wear a shirtdress, I was silently thanking my parents that they knew her well enough to buy her a dress. 

"You're still allowed to be nervous." Dad stood and walked over me. He inspected my attire and gave me a nod. "You're allowed to be nervous because of the girl. I know you like her. She's going to be 18 soon. You're allowed to think about her. Just remember that I'd be proud to have her as a daughter-in-law." He winked and grinned at  me as I rolled my eyes. 

"There's no way you'll get one from just one night." I looked in the mirror again and took another deep breath. Just thinking about seeing her in that dress had my heart pounding. She was going to be so beautiful.

Oh goodness. It was prom all over again, but this time I was doing it right. 

The thought relaxed me for a moment, but I quickly tensed up again. How was she going to react to me? She wasn't very fond of me after what happened at the bus stop. Not that I could blame her. I didn't like me very much either.

Before I could hesitate more, I made myself go ahead and walk out of the office. It looked like Mom was finishing up with the pictures. I took in the scene, and that was when I saw her. 

Jenny had her makeup and hair done, looking like someone out of my league. She looked like royalty in that dress. It took a moment before I could fix my expression so I didn't look like a weirdo. I held out my arm as she drew closer. "Ready to go, milady?" I asked, my voice coming out deeper than I intended it to. I couldn't help it, though. I was going crazy for her. I wanted to tell her how beautiful she was, but then she looped her arm through the one I was holding out for her. 

My heart sped up. It was the first time she was touching me. Granted, it was through many layers of fabric, but my breath still hitched as her hand slid over my arm. 

Mom broke the magic of the moment by telling us to stand closer. She began snapping pictures. I could tell by the look on Jenny's face that she was loving it, so I didn't fight it like I normally did. I wanted her to only have good memories of tonight. This was a special day for her, after all. It was her senior prom. 

Several minutes passed before I could lead her out to my car. I opened her door for her and she slid inside. As I walked around the back of the car, I couldn't help but feel like this wasn't real. My girl was in my car. Granted, she wasn't my girl yet. By the end of the night, though, I was hoping I would have charmed her into it. 

The drive was mostly silent. The music I normally listened to played quietly in the background. About halfway to the school, I tried to start a conversation. "What music do you listen to?" I asked.

"I don't," came her curt reply. "I don't have any CDs and I don't have a phone."

I nearly stopped my car. Who didn't have a phone these days? "Oh. Okay." I paused and then asked, "Are you okay with what's playing?"

She raised an eyebrow at me. "It's your car. Play whatever you want."

I was almost impressed with her skillful conversation dodging. Still, I got the hint and stayed quiet until we parked. I hopped out and rushed to open her door. My hand was shaky, but I held it out to her. She took it as she exited the car. The heat of her skin on mine made sweat pop out of my pores. 

The last thing I needed was sweaty palms. Yuck.

Her hand moved up to my arm and I led her into the gym. It had been completely transformed. Yet, somehow, it looked almost exactly the same as it had when I went to my prom. The wall colors had changed, and so had the seats, but the rest was the same. 

Unimpressed, I glanced around. No one was really milling around. We'd gotten there too early for the cool kids to show up, it seemed. A photographer had already set up and was taking pictures. An idea hit me. 

I gestured toward him and asked, "Want one of us?"

She shrugged. "Not really, not right now."

Her words stung, so I decided to try to charm the sting out of them. "You're just going to end up sweating your makeup off later, you know," I said softly, sweeping some hair off her forehead. Her gorgeous eyes widened.  "Which would be a shame since you look so beautiful right now." I meant every word. She was a natural beauty, but tonight she surpassed her normal standard.

I could see her react to my words. Something in her face softened and I was pretty sure I'd come close to charming my way in. She nodded and I led her over to the short line. I was very aware of her on my arm. The heat of her hands seemed to seep through my jacket sleeve. By the time we were called, I was pretty sure I had turned red. 

The photographer eventually droned a bored, "Next!" We stepped forward to marked spot. He looked at us over the camera, scrutinizing us for a moment with what looked like a tinge of jealousy. I just smirked at him. "Want the typical poses?"

"Sure," I responded. What were those again? I knew the typical one, but was another one dancing? We were at a dance after all. I didn't do pictures when I went to mine - there was no point - so I wasn't sure of what the "typical poses" were.

Dancing was probably the easiest from our position, so I pulled Jenny close. Once I heard the snap of the camera, I twirled her around, making her skirt flare out some, and pulled her back into my chest. I wrapped my arms around her waist and she laid her arms naturally on top of mine. I bit down on the inside of my cheek to keep myself from enjoying the position a little too much.

I heard the snap of the camera and released Jenny. "Thanks," I said to the photographer. "Hey, could you send them to me?" I stepped closer as Jenny wandered a few steps. She was scanning the room, looking for her friends. 

"Did you fill out a form before the prom?" the guy asked. 

"Oh. No, I wasn't aware there was one. Is there any way I could go ahead and give you what you need to send them to me?"

"Yeah, hold on." He fumbled around for a moment. I looked over my shoulder and saw that Jenny's gaze settled on something. I followed it to a group of girls standing around a girl in an obnoxiously pink dress. We that a friend? "I need your name and number," the guy said, pulling me out of my thoughts. 

I hurriedly gave him my information and heard Jenny sigh heavily. I turned and smiled at the look on her face. She was bored and I could tell. "Go back to your girlfriend," the photographer muttered.

"Think I will." I pat the guy on the arm and headed back to Jenny. "Wanting to show me off to your friends now?" I asked as I straightened my bow tie. Had to be presentable for the ladies.

She rolled her eyes. "I was going to introduce you, yes. They're not my friends though. Just classmates I hang out with." We started walking in their direction.

"You do know that's kind of the definition of school friends, right?"

"Brayden?"

"Hmm? Admitting I'm right?" I flashed her a smug smile.

"Shut up." 

I couldn't keep the frown off my face, but I didn't respond. Did she not think we were having a little friendly banter?

She took my arm again and we walked towards the refreshments table. There were a couple of girls that were staring at us with open mouths - the one in the pink and one in white. As we got closer, I realized it wasn't just them. A lot of students were staring at me.

That was the main reason I didn't want to come to this thing, but having Jenny on my arm made up for it. "Find your friends?"

She nodded. "Refreshments table."

"Lead the way, milady."

"You didn't tell us your date was older," one of the girls said the moment we reached the table. The other girl with her, the one in the pink dress, jabbed an elbow in her side, making the girl in white wince. "How old is he?"

Why were they talking like I wasn't here? Irritated, I smiled and said, "Twenty-two. I'll be 23 in June."

The girls exchanged looks. "So you're graduating this year?" the one in white asked.

"Last year, actually. I finished my Bachelor's in three years. I took on extra classes and got the credits in early enough." Two boys that had been seemingly part of a different group, suddenly perked up at hearing that. They came closer and I realized that the boys were probably their dates. 

"That's awesome," one of the guys said. "Where did you go?" 

"Princeton."

The other boy asked, "Did you transfer in?"

I shook my head. "No, I applied and got in. Despite how I look, I actually graduated from this school with honors. Salutatorian. I only missed out on Valedictorian because I turned in my last assignment a day late because I wrote down the wrong due date."

My comment didn't garner the reaction I was hoping it would. Instead, one of the girls asked, "What was your major?"

"Finance, but I minored in entrepreneurship. Dad insisted on that instead of studying economics which, I think, is a loss. You see, businesses impact the world's economic system. If you study that, you can transform your business into one that can make a real impact."

"Some would disagree," Jenny said, a measure of defiance in her voice. "I think your minor is the true way to make an impact. Entrepreneurs do so much more than run a business. They make communities grow through donations and volunteer work."

"So you agree with my old man." I gave her a nod. "Well, that's that, then." I really wasn't in the mood to argue, especially with my date.

I smiled to myself. My date. It almost didn't feel real to actually be calling the girl I was in love with my date. 

The music changed and I got an idea. "Dance with me?"

She paused before responding. "Sure." 

I led her out onto the dance floor and pulled her in close for a slow-dance. When I took her hand, I felt it shake. After a couple moments, I realized she was trembling. What had happened to her? I didn't know much about girls, but I did know this wasn't a normal reaction. Did it have something to do with those bruises I saw on her before? "You're doing great," I said quietly near her ear. "Take a deep breath." She inhaled near my ear and let it out shakily. 

We stayed out for a few songs, each one slowly calming her down. Hopefully she'd get used to me. If she did, maybe I could get away with some more things. Maybe I work my way up to having a real conversation with her.

After the third song ended, I figured she'd be ready for a drink, so I steered her over to the punch bowl. I watched her ladle some punch into a cup and take a sip. My phone chose that moment to start ringing. I knew it was my mom by the ringtone. Why would she be calling me now of all times? She knew where I was. I answered. "Hello?" I stuck my finger in my ear to hear over the song blaring through the gym. I heard some muffled words. "What? Mom, I can't hear you." I shot a glance over at a confused Jenny. I turned and walked towards the doors, tossing a, "Heading outside to take this," over my shoulder. 

No sooner than I walked out the doors and down the hallway did she drop the bomb on me. "Your dad's in the emergency room."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

362K 1.7K 20
Short erotic stories with some fluff. Each chapter is a different story :). #1 (07/22/2021) - #boyxgirlrelationship
7.5K 226 52
*Completed* (Hey Readers! Just wanted to let you know that after a year and more, I'm finally back to writing. My first project is to reedit my stor...
111K 3.9K 47
It's Riley's first day of school she meets Lucas friar the bad boy she hated immediately because she knows he's bad news they hate each other you can...
27 0 19
Brayden resides in a society where children start their training as soon as they are old enough to attend school, which is at the age of five. They u...