Maybe, You Will See Me Now

By Mercy198

A successful career woman in her early thirties struggles to overcome the stigma of divorce and its associate... More

Hi🌻
Dedication
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
035

034

298 68 4
By Mercy198

"Ijeawele appears to be dating the man Delight is in a relationship with." Maria spelled it out. She wasn't about to back down from this fight.

He stared at her without any reaction. Suddenly, he sat up straight. "No, she's not."

Maria furrowed her brows. "How do you know that?"

Kingsley scoffed. "I can ask you the same thing. I know Ijeawele. She would never result in such antics."

Maria glared at her husband. Her frown dissipated. The silence between them lasted until she broke it. "It sounds like you're defending her."

"I'm not. I'm simply stating the truth."

"What truth? Kingsley, you've been divorced from her for almost three years. You don't know her anymore. You don't know what she is capable of doing."

He chuckled and got up on his feet. "This conversation is ridiculous. I'm going to bed."

Maria watched him walking away. The pace of her heartbeat gradually accelerated. Her hands folded into a fist. Once again, he was dismissing her words and somehow, she wasn't having it anymore.

She stood up. "Why did you marry me when it's obvious you still love her?"

Kingsley stopped. He turned to her. "Why are you creating such a drama tonight?"

His words infuriated her further. She walked up to him and stared into his eyes.

"I'll never be able to take her place in your heart, will I?"

He wore a light frown. "For goodness's sake Maria, don't act like a victim. You've always been aware of the truth before we got married. So has Ijeawele. I love you but I also love her."

She laughed. "I see. That's—that's why you still have her phone number. You refuse to listen to us because you believe someday, Ijeawele might take you back."

Kingsley went silent. This time, he's giving her a deathly glare.

Maria looked away in order to rein in her emotions. How did they deviate from making the discussion about Delight's situation? She closed her eyes, her hand to her forehead, shading the rest of her face.

Finally, she turned to him with a calmer mindset. "Kingsley, she's never going to come back to you. She has too much pride. The earlier you accept it, the sooner we can live in peace. So please—please, I don't care who you talk to or how you do it, make sure she lets go of Delight's man. I want to see my sister happy. She deserves it." Maria walked past Kingsley and headed straight for their bedroom. Delight who had quietly observed their entire discussion left his presence as well.

Kingsley remained standing, stewing in his own thoughts. Hoping for Ijeawele's return was one thing he never told anyone. Yet, somehow, it was obvious. The memory of the day when she asked for a divorce remained vivid in his head. It continues to be one of the saddest days of his life.

Kingsley wished he had controlled himself better. Perhaps restrain from making the life choices he had once made.

Delight's man. Maria's words repeated in his mind. He had seen Andrew once and that was at his child's naming ceremony when Delight introduced him. Nothing exceptional stood out about him. Kingsley's mind spiralled into a whirlwind of conflict on the possibilities that Maria was right about Ijeawele fancying this man. The thought of it didn't sit right with him. Either way, revenge or not, it needed to be nipped.

#

"Alright, open your mouth." Ebenezer held the two slices of bread with fried eggs sandwiched between them towards his young son's mouth. The young boy took a huge bite and his father smiled at him. He left the bread on the plate and picked up the small cup of tea. Gently, he stirred the simmering mixture of powdered cocoa and milk. Using the spoon, he carried some of it, blew well onto it and proceeded to feed it to his son. In the same way, he repeated a few times. Then proceeded to help him put on his white stockings then his polished black shoes.

"Is he done?" Gift inquired as she walked out of the room hand in hand with her youngest son of five years old whom she just helped put on his uniform. A navy blue short and a checkered short sleeve shirt similar to the one her seven years old son wore.

"Almost." Ebenezer replied and Gift sat down at the dinner table on the chair opposite them. She carried her son onto her lap. Gift picked up a slice of bread, scooped some of the fried eggs onto it then folded it into two ready to feed him. Three loud knocks came through the door. Gift and her husband exchanged glances.

"Are you expecting anyone this early?" Ebenezer asked and she shook her head.

"Okay, let me check." He stood up and walked across the living room to the wooden door. Before he unbolted the top bolt, he turned the key twice to unlock the door. His hand pressed down on the door handle and pulled the door open.

Ebenezer blinked a few times, unable to believe at first that he was seeing right.

"What are you doing here, Kingsley?"

Gift stretched her neck in curiosity to see with her eyes. Because maybe she heard wrong.

"Good morning, brother Ebenezer."

"I'm not your brother."

Kingsley fell silent. He knew there was a possibility that the Obialoms would act cold towards him. After all, he didn't expect a parade.

"Can we talk? I have something important to discuss with you."

Ebenezer looked away, reluctant to give him a chance. "I don't think we have anything between us anymore. Besides, I'm in a hurry to take the kids to school."

"It won't take long. I promise."

After some hesitation, Ebenezer stood to the side and Kingsley walked into the apartment.

Gift stared at him. A little upset that her husband let him in.

"Good morning, Gift." Kingsley greeted as soon as he set eyes on her.

She begrudgingly turned away while replying. "Good morning."

Kingsley flashed a faint smile and sat down on one of the single couches in the room. Ebenezer and his wife exchanged glances before he sat down.

"So, what do you want to discuss?"

Kingsley hesitated while racking his brain on how to put the first sentence so it doesn't refer to a different meaning than he meant.

"Earlier, my wife brought something to my attention about Ijeawele." He paused to notice Ebenezer's reaction. There wasn't any.

Gift listened attentively. Her brows formed a light crease at the mention of Ijeawele.

"It seems she's... um, she's trying to carry out a revenge against my wife and her sister."

This time, a light frown appeared between Ebenezer's brows. "What do you mean?"

"There's this young man that Delight has been seeing. Recently, they started having some issues. She found out that it might be because Ijeawele is... is seducing him."

Kingsley watched Ebenezer closely while simultaneously gearing up to mentally to defend himself if it came to a physical attack from him.

Gift felt enraged by the young man's audacity. She wanted to speak up but she held back. Not wanting to take away the chance from her husband to deal with the situation himself.

Instead, Ebenezer leaned back into his seat. His expression was void of anger. "And did this Delight ever see him in bed with Ijeawele?"

Kingsley hesitated and shook his head.

"Okay. On what basis is she making this claim?"

"Uh... um, I think she saw them together." It didn't sound confident coming from him.

Ebenezer was silent. He hung his head low and stayed that way for a while. Out of nowhere, he lifted his head and stood up.

"Thank you for the information, Kingsley. You can now leave my house."

Kingsley stared at him, a little taken aback that he wasn't more interested in fleshing out the discussion or at least mentioning that he would call Ijeawele to order. In the past, it used to seem like they were on the same page. That's why he took up the courage to come and tell him about everything. If there was one person Ijeawele listened to, it would be her older brother.

Reluctant as he felt, he stood up from his seat and began his walk towards the door. He turned when he had one hand to the door handle. "I never stopped loving Ijeawele. That's why I can't stand to see her go down the wrong path. Please tell her, she can come back home whenever she wants." Kingsley opened the door and closed it behind him.

Gift chuckled and shook her head in response to Kingsley's words. "That man never stops amazing me."

She noticed her husband who remained standing. His gaze fixated in a direction.

"Ebe." Gift called and he turned to her. "What are you thinking?"

After a bit of hesitation, he shook his head. "Nothing." Ebenezer walked back to where he left his son. "They're going to be late for school." He went ahead to help him finish his breakfast. Gift watched him for sometime and settled to table the discussion for perhaps another time.

#

Twice, the knocks came through her door.

"Yes, come in." Ijeawele answered. She watched while the person on the other side opened the door. A smile appeared on her face on her immediate sighting of who it was.

"Hi." Andrew said with a smile and closed the door gently behind him.

"Hi. What are you doing here?" Ijeawele tilted her head a little to the side, her smile still shadowed on her face.

He stood in front of her desk. "I wanted to see you so badly."

Ijeawele chuckled, lowering her head. "Well, you've seen me." She commented when she lifted her eyes back to him.

Andrew stared at her, his smile appearing on and off his face. A lot of daring ideas were popping into his head. Earlier, he lied about needing to use the restroom and came all the way here. A part of him feared that he would get caught and would be unable to explain himself. But he went ahead anyway because this time, he was sure she felt the same way as he felt. Although they hadn't quite expressed their actual feelings or made it clear what their relationship was. Andrew didn't want to pressure her. He didn't want a label to scare her in any way. For now, they were moving based on how they felt. Sooner or later, they might make a stand.

"What?" Ijeawele asked, a little amused when it felt like his silence was longer than it should be.

Andrew began his steps around her desk. She swirled her chair to the side and he stopped in front of her. He bent over and brought his face closer to hers so they were staring into each other's eyes. Also held her hand in his.

"Will you watch a movie with me tonight?"

She smiled. "Tonight? Wouldn't that be late?"

His eyes lurked left and right. "They show late movies." Then he stood straight, letting go of her hand. "But if you're not into it, we don't have to go. Maybe another time."

Ijeawele stood up from her seat and wrapped her arms around his waist. She rested her head on his shoulder. Andrew froze at that moment. He was still getting used to her even accepting him when he held her hand. Sudden moments like this always forced him to hold his breath. His heart raced.

She raised her head and looked into his eyes. "I was joking." Then she leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips. "Let's do it."

Andrew's smile broadened. He wrapped his arms around her and leaned his forehead against hers.

Two knocks and Radha opened the door. "Ijeawele..."

They scrambled apart almost immediately. Radha stopped on her tracks in the office. She observed from Ijeawele to Andrew and back to Ijeawele. Both looked a bit flustered.

"Okay. Um, we'll continue this later." Ijeawele said what came to her mind as she sat down once again.

"Yes." Andrew replied, nodding to create the illusion that they were anything else but into each other.

Radha folded her arms below her chest as she watched them. Andrew was on his way out of the office. He looked at Ijeawele and their eyes made contact one last time before he closed the door.

Ijeawele stalled, rolled her lips in for a second and mentally tried to ground herself back to be able to act normal. She lifted her eyes to Radha. "You were saying something."

Radha stared at her and Ijeawele was finding it difficult to keep up with the burrowing pair. "I was trying to say the meeting for one has been moved to tomorrow."

"Oh. Okay."

Radha hesitated but she turned to leave. Just when Ijeawele was about to release a quiet sigh of relief, Radha turned right back.

"Also, I'm hosting a small lunch party. Family and friends. It's my daughter's birthday."

"She's turning a year older. That's good news." Ijeawele blabbed.

"Yes. It's this Sunday. At my residence. Don't worry, you can come with him."

Ijeawele blinked.

"With who?"

Radha's lips formed a thin line. She put a hand on her waist.

"Come on Ijeawele, I'm not blind. You're an adult and I'm just glad you've found happiness again. So, bring him. You're the only one from the office that I'm inviting... relax." She smiled at her before turning and leaving the office.

After some time of spacing out. Ijeawele chuckled. And there was a new sense of peace that washed over her. She liked the feeling of it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265K 25.4K 32
(Featured by wattpad)Highest ranking #4 in spiritual. Sold for nothing Sisi finds herself stuck in an abusive marriage to a man whose purpose is to b...
31.6K 7.3K 49
~~~ Teasers ~~~ "What are we going to do now?" Everyone turned towards her, the same fear that was in her eyes was also in theirs. "Who's going to d...
285K 49.7K 87
*Could you ever love a broken person?* "I understand that you're broken," he said as he lifted her chin so she stared directly into his eyes. "But I...
45K 4.3K 59
Everyone deserves to live a life they aren't trying to escape. *It gets better as you read on. This is my first book, so be gentle on me 😉 *There wi...