The Heart of Batman | Bruce W...

By octoberbabyj

"You are Master Bruce's sun and Batman's moon. He can't quite figure you out." - Alfred Pennyworth, the loyal... More

Gotham City
Past romance
Every mask has a face
The Crowns
Sun (doesn't) shine in Gotham
Black Beauty
Memories of the past
The fall from grace
Fortune-telling and superstitions
The Cat and the Bat
Like mother like daughter
Green Arrow
The Heart of Penquin
An imposter
Green is The Bat
Uncle Joker
Love confession
Girl friend
Fever
First Date
Sad is the Bat
Ro's heart
Broken Compass
Rogue
Coffee Kisses
Deadshot
Rogue is Ro
Storm
Bat in love
Making out
Love in heart of town
Training and kisses
Part of the team

Troubles with Harley Quinn

167 15 0
By octoberbabyj

I was with Ronnie, Veronica Vreeland, General's Freeland daughter and an old friend of mine, in the boutique store. We were buying new clothes.

I'm not really into it. Fashion. Alfred picks suits for me. Ronnie criticizes me for it.

"How long are you two dating?" Ronnie asked. She saw me with Ro at my gala. We all ran in the same social circle.

"We're not. We are just friends", I replied.

"Friends?" Ronnie raised her eyebrow suspiciously. "Whereever she goes, you go."

"Burton asked me to keep her company", I explained.

"So, you are her babysitter now?" I spotted Harley Quinn entering through the door with her pets in the middle of the day.

Harley Quinn was discharged from Arkham recently. I have been watching on her. Since she broke up with Joker she seems to be living a normal life, by the rules. She even got a regular job.

"These creatures aren't allowed─", the seller informed but the two hyenas growled at him before he could finished and he back off in fear.

"They are just babies", Harley patted their heads, they purred, and she turned looking for dress, scanning through the racks. They immediately growled back at the seller. He gulped back and froze in place.

"This is going to be interesting", Veronica stated, showing me where to look. I glanced at the cash register and saw who was also paying for her dress.

The two hyenas turned to her. I thought they were going to attack her but instead they jumped on her, tackled her down and licked her face.

"How did you do that?!" Harley questioned, looking down at Ro with her hands on her hips, dropping her wallet. It fell to the floor.

"It's alright guys", Ro immediately stood up and called her bodyguards off.

"Never mind. Let's go babies!" Harley called for them forgetting to pay for the dress.

"Miss, stop! You haven't pay for your dress!"

Ro picked Harley's wallet and stood up from the floor. "She dropped her..."

"Security!"

"It's all just a misunderstanding...", Ro tried to explain but they were not listening to her, instead security handcuffed Harley. "Hey, I didn't steal!"

"She's with me!" Ro exclaimed to the security.

"And you are...?" The cashier asked. His eyes widened as he read her name on the computer screen.

"Miss... Crown", his voice trembled with fear. "I deeply apologize for inconvenience but she's─" She interrupted him.

"She's a friend. Now, would you mind unhandcuffing her?" Ro politely asked.

"Your... friend? Of course Miss Crown. I apologize... ladies", he apologized.

"I didn't steal!" Harley repeated. "I swear I didn't steal─"

"I believe you", Ro said calmly.

"I didn't... You do?!"

"Yes. Here", Ro handed Harley her wallet. "You dropped it while you were... leaving."

Harley took a moment to think.

"You're not like others. Rich people, I mean. No one ever stood up for me." Tears started forming in Harley eyes.

"But don't think I'm going to get nice on you just because... Let's go babies!" Harley turned, the two hyenas looked sadly at Ro, and marched out of the boutique with her pets.

"Okay...", she mumbled.

"Bruce?" Ro questioned, surprised to see me, as I watched Harley leaving.

"Do you know who that was?" I asked her, knowing the answer.

Ro looked at me confused. "No. Should I?"

"You know you can look. I'm not naked." Ro stated the next day dressed up in her bikini. It was a hot summer day and we were outside in the garden, next to the pool.

"Can you please give me the robe?" She asked me but I hesitated to look in her direction. I didn't know they have a pool. That's what happens when you live in a rocky cliff, not that I complain.

"I asked nicely", she added waiting for me to give her the robe then she reminded a bit annoyed. "You're standing in the way Bruce." I swiftly grabbed the robe off the lawn chair next to me and gave it to her.

"How is business with Burton?" I turned as she wrapped the robe around her body. She was sunbathing this afternoon when I came talk with Burton. For some reason the sun was shining in Gotham, again.

"Great. It's doing great." I replied. Cooperation between our companies, Wayne and Crown Enterprises, benefited my wallet. My net worth increased and my business is blooming in Europe.

"He's still not letting me join in the family business", she expressed her concern.

"My offer still stands." I can give her an internship at Wayne Enterprises if she wants it. Although, I'm not sure if Burton would like it.

"Yeah right. You can even look at me. How are we supposed to work together?"

"Different circumstances", I said in my defense.

"Now when I know what effect I have on you, I might take advantage of it." She was clearly joking but there was something more to it. "What are you thinking Bruce?"

"What you did", I started as we walked along the pool and I continued. "For a stranger. Someone you've never met before."

"I know who that is now. Harley Quinn. It wouldn't make any difference. Criminals are people too. It was the right thing to do. And I believe in second chance."

"Not many people think that way and would do that. In Gotham. Not for Harley Quinn or any of the criminals." Even the police was about to arrest her for something she didn't do.

"There's something serious wrong with this town." I couldn't agree more. I keep trying to make Gotham a better place.

"Do you always do what is right?"

"I try", she replied. "Are you hot?"

"No, why?" I asked, the beads of sweat forming on my forehead.

"Your face is all red", she stated. "You swim?"

"Yes. Why?" I asked. She smiled mischievously and pushed me into the pool.

Splash!

"Are you cool down?" She asked as I head up out of the water. I laughed wiping the water droplets from my face. She pushed me into the pool.

"You should smile often. It suits you. Give me your hand. I'll help you get out", she offered, extending her hand for me to grab.

"What are you doing?" An idea came to my mind and I grabbed her hand and pulled her into the pool with my weight. "No!"

"I need to get out." She burst out of the water. I didn't understand. The water wasn't too deep. I could stand on my feet.

"Have I done something wrong?" I asked her. She didn't say a word instead she just stared at the water as we sat on the lawn chairs in comfortable silence. The sun has set. It was getting darker every minute that had passed. The lights around the pool were turned on.

I couldn't read her. "No, you're... perfect."

"I'm far away from perfect", I strongly disagreed. It made her look up and our gaze met.

She leaned closer to me. "Everyone has flaws but I know how I feel about you when I'm near you. If that doesn't make you perfect I don't know what does."

My eyebrows rose in surprise. I raised my hand to cupped her cheek and she closed her eyes. "I feel the same."

"I know you aren't going to kiss me─"

"I might just do", I said softly, looking at her as my heart hammered inside my chest.

She was taking me in. She enjoyed my touch. "But you won't."

"Let's go inside and find you some dry clothes?" She suggested opening her eyes and I nodded not saying a word. I noticed her mood improved.

We climbed the grand staircase together. She led me to her room. I'd never been to her room before.

I entered her room and she closed the door behind me. "I'm not supposed to bring men in my room."

"Burton's rule?" I asked her as we sat down on the bed.

"Something like that." She propped herself up on her elbows. "Imagine what would happen if he found out I've sneaked my boyfriend..."

"You have a boyfriend?!"

".... to my room to make out with him", she finished. I knew what she was thinking about. I was thinking about it too. But it was complicated.

"You know we can... if you are interested?"

It's not as if I wasn't. I changed the subject. "What happened?"

She sighed. "It didn't work out."

I was curious to know more about her. I didn't know anything about her life in Europe. "How long were you together?"

She stared down at the floor, thinking. "Two years."

"That's a long time", I stated. My past relationships never lasted that long.

"It took some time to get over him but I finally did."

"He hurt you?"

"More than he could possibly know." She lifted her head up and met my gaze. "I don't mess around if that was what you wanted to know."

"Have you changed your mind?" She asked me. I didn't understand at first. "You know we could still..."

She leaned in closer. "Relax I'm not planning to sleep with you or anything like it. I─"

"I'm relaxed", I cut her off.

She smiled at my lie. "I would like to know how it feels..." The amount attraction we both feel I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea. "Don't tell me you aren't curious... a bit?"

"I am...", I admitted looking down at her lips. "... curious."

"I think I tasted your patience enough for one day. I don't want you to get scare on me now", she said in a joke.

"It only makes me more interested...", I mumbled.

"I need to bring you some dry clothes." She stood up and left the room.

I looked around her room as I waited for her to return. There was a queen-sized bed, two side tables on each side of the bed with lamps and books on it, vanity desk. The door that leads to the balcony. Medals hanging on the wall and golden trophies placed on the shelves from her ballet, gymnastics, horse riding, etc. competitions. The collection of porcelain dolls and a diary under her bed?

Should I take it? Perhaps there are some value information I could use.

It felt wrong. I decided to search for her instead. There were many rooms in the hallway. I didn't know which she entered. Luckily, I spotted the half-opened door of the room at the end of the hallway.

I gently pushed the door open and silently entered inside. She was sitting on the bed and... crying.

"You shouldn't be here", she said quickly waping her tears away and placing the family photo back on the nightstand table by the bed.

Her parents room...

It must be theirs room. They died when she was about five. That explains her tears. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

"You need to enter inside before someone sees you", she reminded in a whisper, seeing me standing in the doorway.

I entered the room and silently closed the door behind me. I walked over to her and she looked up at me. Her eyes a bit red from crying. It hurted me seeing her like that. I wanted to help.

"You can sit next to me. You standing in front of me, looking down at me like that, it makes me uncomfortable."

"Sorry about that." I sat down on the bed next to her, our shoulders touched, and glanced at the family photo on the nightstand she recently held in her hands. "Your parents?"

"Yes. This is, was their room. It been more than 10 years since the last time I've been here", she replied.

"I have one of these rooms too." My parents bedroom. I don't remember when was the last time I had entered their room, the master bedroom.

"How did you deal with their deaths?" She asked.

"I didn't." I left Gotham a few years after their death seeking justice. I travelled the world for years, learned martial arts and gained many skills before I returned to Gotham and become what I've become. But I still have nightmares. I never got over their deaths.

"What happened to them?" I asked. I heard they died in an accident. I wasn't in Gotham when it happened, I was training.

"Car accident. Their car crashed into the river. I survived", she replied, tears started forming in her green eyes.

I finally understood. "The water?"

"Yes, I have a fear of water ever since", she admitted.

"Do you remember how it happened?"

"No, not really. I remember the water and drowning. It's not a strong memory but enough..."

"... to make you fear of it", I finished.

"I'm sorry for your loss. Your parents were good people", I said, remembering them. Her mother was my father's best friend. They knew since they were kids. They ran in the same social circle and they worked together in Gotham City Hospital. I didn't know they dated until recently.

"You know, you were the lucky oneー", she said suddenly.

"It's not the same", I cut her off, angry at her words. My parents didn't die, they were murdered. I gripped the mattress in anger. I could feel rage grew within me.

"I agree. You had Alfred. I had no one. I was all alone. He left me all alone." My eyes widened at her words. The anger, rage. It passed in a second.

"You have me Ro. I'll never leave your side", I promised as she put her head on my shoulder and hugged my arm. She didn't say anything at my words instead she rested her head on my shoulder. Her whole body felt warm. My heart hammered inside of my chest as I cupped her chin and gently lifted her head up to meet my gaze. "I'm... I'm sorry for everything."

"It's not your fault Bruce. I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have said what I said to you... " She slipped out of my hand and walked over to the large closet.

She opened it and pulled out a black suit similar to the one I'm wearing. "But it is. There are things you don't know─"

"What things?" I said too much. I can't tell her I suspect Burton is the leader of the Court of Owls, deadly group of people.

"This will do perfectly", she said eyeing the suit she held in her hands.

"What do you think Bruce?" I nodded in confirmation. We exited her parents room and return to her room. "Do you want me to leave?"

"No, it fine." I took off my suit, put it on the bed and dressed up the suit she chose for me to wear. I assume one of William's, her father's, suits.

She waited for me to finish with her back facing me but I knew she was looking from the corner of her eye. I would probably do, did, the same.

"The suit... It fits perfectly. You look handsome." I rubbed the back of my head.

I entered the manor and stated. Alfred was standing in the hallway. "She's afraid of water."

"Who? Miss Crown, sir?" I couldn't stop thinking about her parent's accident, about her all the way home.

"What happened to your clothes Master Bruce?" Alfred asked as soon as I entered the hallway. I know how she feels.

"I went for swimming", I replied thinking of it now. She pushed me into the pool.

"In your clothes, sir?" Alfred asked raising his brow, confused.

"You are... smiling Master Bruce", Alfred stated in a surprise as I walked towards the stairs and turned. It was fun. "She keeps surprising me, Alfred. She's different from any girl I've ever met."

"Miss Crown is one of the kind", Alfred agreed.

I sighed deeply. "She said something to me today. It made me think."

"What did you talk about Master Bruce?" Alfred asked.

"About our parents", I replied.

"The pain of my parents' deaths... It's still there but it doesn't hurt like before."

"Love heals, Master Bruce. Your heart is healingー" , Alfred started.

"I'm grateful to have you in my life Alfred", I said softly.

"Master Bruce!" Alfred eyes widened in surprise as I hugged him and he hugged me back. "Son."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 821 30
It started with a simple crush but after a night full of alcohol it turned out as a real, life-changing, problem. ❗WARNING❗ • Mature Content * Season...
233K 5.1K 40
Dating the Joker (especially the hot, Heath Ledger-type Joker) is a dream of many Batman fangirls (me! ME!!!!!! But only if I can't have The Scarecro...
380K 11.4K 37
COMPLETE "Four years ago we met for the first time. Do you remember?" "Right! You gave me a rose. You were so nervous, you'd think you'd never talked...
214K 5.5K 40
You got fired from your job, assisted a bank robbery, and met the Joker all on the same day. Can you survive working for the Joker? Will having his t...