璧玉之輪 | Fortuitous Jade

By baitian_exe

"HeiLi, you will be dispatched for another mission" Hearing that, Xiao Tian immediately leaped off the window... More

Character + Glossary
Chapter 1 - Prologue
Chapter 2 - A glimpse of you
Chapter 3 - Obsession
Chapter 4 - Encounter
Chapter 5 - Promises
Chapter 6 - Attraction
Chapter 7 - A Nickname?
Chapter 8 - HeiLi
Chapter 9 - I am not a Prey
Chapter 10 - It's a date!
Chapter 11 - A fleeting moment
Chapter 12 - My past
Chapter 13 - Jade Pendant
Chapter 14 - Partner
Chapter 15 - Dreams
Chapter 16 - Reunion
Chapter 17 - Storm
Chapter 18 - Rivalry
Chapter 19 - Mission Complete
Chapter 20 - This is unlike you
Chapter 21 - Point of no return
Chapter 22 - Just like the old times
Chapter 23 - Vengeance
2nd Anniversary!
Chapter 24 - Yearning
Chapter 25 - Turmoil
Chapter 26 - Intoxication
Chapter 27 - Identity
Chapter 28 - Fragments of the past
Chapter 29 - Crimson Shard
Chapter 30 - Investigation
Chapter 31 - Instincts
Chapter 33 - Xiao Tian
Chapter 34 - Someone Special

Chapter 32 - Memory

17 1 0
By baitian_exe

Chapter Notes:

Recap: The pair was able to escape the beast cave, albeit with quite serious injuries. But Xiao Tian who was still in his panther mode, never realized the one he was carrying to safety was his own teammate. So when he saw a moving person, the half-panther immediately attacked Bai Feng. Xiao Tian almost bit the informant's neck when he was stopped by a tough scabbard, but even that broke under the immense strength of the panther's jaw. Luckily the panther seemed to regain his consciousness after awhile, sparing the golden-eyed beauty's life.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

After clinging on Bai Feng in silence for a while, the assassin finally came back to his senses.

"Your heart is beating like crazy, are you nervous Xiao Bai?" teased Xiao Tian who immediately got pushed away by the informant.

"Now that you're conscious, let me see your wounds.." Bai Feng started.

"Oh right.. Here, your mask.." the golden-eyed beauty calmly returned the assassin's mask, seemingly avoiding eye contact with the assassin before taking off Xiao Tian's top.

"How hasty~ We can take our time Xiao Bai~ doesn't seem like we're getting out of here any time soon anyway." Xiao Tian made a cheeky remark despite his serious gaze on the fallen boulders.

"Don't move.. I might not have enough ointment to treat you if I spill any.. Hold on, this will sting" the cedar-haired man warned before applying crushed herbs onto the long gash on the short-haired assassin's back. Xiao Tian winced slightly but remained still as much as possible. Then Bai Feng took off his robe and tore strips of cloth with his sword before tying them around the assassin's wound like a bandage.

"You're destroying such a beautiful robe.." the jade-eyed assassin muttered but Bai Feng wasn't paying attention as he moved to treat the smaller cuts on Xiao Tian's arms.

"Xiao Bai, they're not serious, no need to bother." said the assassin.

"It'll be troublesome if your wounds fester. Have patience, I'm almost done." the informant replied.

That one sentence somehow reminded Xiao Tian of when he was still a newbie in the organization.

The young assassin was tasked to kill a group of mercenaries along with their patron who were fleeing into the mountains. The mission was successful. However, due to his lack of experience, young Xiao Tian was badly wounded. Knowing that the woods isn't the best place to stay when vulnerable, the jade-eyed boy limped towards what seemed to be a long flight of stairs.

Blood continued to trickle down his open wounds and as his vision started to blur, so he decided to sit down under one of the trees by the side of the path leading up the mountain. He didn't realize how much time had passed, but the sun was setting when he finally opened his eyes. Though he was surprised to see a pair of stunning golden eyes.

"Are you okay?" asked an equally young boy holding a basket of herbs and vegetables.

Xiao Tian, being trained not to reveal any information, simply stared at the stranger.

"You're hurt.. What happened?" asked the long-haired boy with concern in his eyes but the young assassin just looked away. After pondering on what to do the golden-eyed boy spoke up once more.

"I'll take you to my Master's place, he should be able to help you. It's not too far from here, can you walk?"

Xiao Tian stood up but immediately toppled. Fortunately, the cedar-haired boy caught the young assassin, though at the cost of him dropping his basket.

"You shouldn't put more pressure on your legs, let me carry you" concern evident in those honey-colored eyes. The young assassin simply stared in confusion but after a bunch of coaxing, the pair walked up the stairs with young Bai Feng struggling to carry the assassin on his back.

With such close proximity, young Xiao Tian could smell a sweet scent that gave him a sense of security, lulling him to sleep. Sensing the assassin's more relaxed gesture on his back, young Bai Feng made sure that he didn't rush and jolt the dark-clothed boy awake, one step at a time until they saw a big gate in front of a shrine.

"We're here" the long-haired boy announced gently, feeling the weight slowly lifted off his shoulders.

"I'll just get my Master and—" that was when a smooth yet strict voice spoke.

"Bai Feng, where were you? You are incredibly late. It has been pitch dark for a while." scolded the sapphire-haired adult.

"ShiZun, this disciple apologizes for his tardiness.. I was on my way back when this one saw a young boy at the side of the stairs.."

Xiao Tian narrowed his eyes, being addressed as a "young boy" while the one talking was equally as young or even younger didn't really settle well in his mind.

"And the errand I sent you for?" the azure-eyed man questioned, causing the young disciple to flinch.

"I left it where I found— ShiZun he's badly hurt, please help him.." the golden-eyed boy timidly asked.

"Finish your duties before asking for a favor from your teacher. Once you're done, copy the sect rules ten times" the strict master scolded as the disciple lowered his head.

"Understood ShiZun.." the cedar-haired boy answered.

"Go with my master, he will treat you.." the obedient disciple lets his teacher hold Xiao Tian as he once again descends the mountain.

While the golden-eyed boy was off to do his errand, the sapphire-haired man stared coldly at the injured assassin before helping the boy and bringing him inside.

The strict teacher cleaned the young boy's wounds and then looked at the intricate mask design.

"How did you get these injuries?" but even the Master couldn't coax the young assassin to speak. So the two of them sat in silence as the azure-eyed beauty treated the young boy's wounds.

"Meeting my disciple, was it by chance or are you here for something?" the sapphire-haired man asked with a warning in his tone. The pair kept their wary gaze on each other until the cedar-haired boy returned from his errand.

"ShiZun, this disciple has returned with the ingredients you asked for" the disciple greeted his teacher and bowed before handing off his basket.

"Get yourself cleaned and dress his wounds, I will prepare dinner" the teacher commanded as he left the room. The sapphire-haired man took one last glance at the two boys before heading towards the kitchen. Is it just my feeling.. the master pondered.

Bai Feng quickly washed his hands and came back to finish treating the assassin's wounds. But when he arrived at the room, the golden-eyed boy realized that the short-haired boy had already started to dress himself, so Bai Feng frowned.

"I have to bandage your wounds, or else ShiZun will be angry at me.. Please cooperate, if he finds me still dirty when dinner is ready I'll be done for.." the long-haired boy said as he sat beside the young assassin.

Xiao Tian was very cautious and gave a look that screamed stay away but Bai Feng insisted,

"It'll be troublesome if your wounds fester, have patience we're almost done.."

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

"HeiLi?" the informant called out, noticing that Xiao Tian seemed to have been spacing out.

When he snapped out of his memory, he realized that his wounds were mostly treated. Once the cedar-haired man was relieved that there seemed to be nothing off about the assassin, he quickly stood up.

Bai Feng wobbled slightly, alerting the assassin. But the cedar-haired man quickly raised his hand signaling that he was alright.

"Doesn't seem to be a good idea to stay here for too long.. My head is starting to spin.." the informant muttered.

"If it affects us in this way after a few hours, it must have been worse for the miners.." Bai Feng hummed as he stood up to study the big boulders blocking their only exit.

Suddenly out of nowhere, the assassin hits the informant's back of head causing the latter to lose consciousness.

"I'm sorry Xiao Bai.. I'll get us out of here," Xiao Tian caught the now unconscious informant and slung him over his uninjured shoulder.

Xiao Tian then placed his hand on one of the boulders when he heard a faint voice from the other side.

"HeiLi, Bai Feng! Are you both there?!" Zi Shi called out

"We're here, can you get us out?" the masked assassin calmly asked.

"We can gather miners and villagers to help clear the rubble" the purple-haired assassin suggested but the pair immediately replied,

"No, I'll break through myself. What's the situation out there?" Xiao Tian asked.

Zi Shi explained that most had managed to vacate the mine albeit with some more injured than others.

"Leave, and make a loud noise once you're out of the mine" Xiao Tian commanded and Zi Shi left.

Soon after, Xiao Tian heard the noise of a flare, indicating that Zi Shi was in the clear.

Xiao Tian then transformed and slammed his fist on the boulders. The cave once again shook as the boulders started to crack and break from the constant smashing by the half-panther.

Then Xiao Tian ran towards the entrance of the mine. Luckily Zi Shi was already ready with a tranquilizer and Xiao Tian immediately fell asleep right after the shot.

When the informant came to, it was already the next morning. And the odd thing is, he couldn't remember anything from yesterday. They arrived in the village and then he went with Xiao Tian to investigate the mine and.. The rest was a blur.

"HeiLi brought you back to the surface since you were unconscious. It seems that you may have stayed in the mine for too long. If you feel any pain or discomfort, let me know." the doctor informed his brother.

While the two assassins were staying guard outside, they were having a separate conversation on their own.

"He was unconscious huh.. How convenient. You did that didn't you?" the purple-haired assassin accused as he stared into his junior's eyes.

"You're scared aren't you HeiMao?" the half-masked assassin taunted.

"You're worried that he would not be able to accept you. Your half-beast state. That's why you landed such a sharp blow on the back of his head, to the point that he can't remember.. Might as well kill him inside the mine, no one would suspect such an accident—" Zi Shi's taunting was cut short when Xiao Tian gripped his senior's neck.

"You talk too much." warned the jade-eyed assassin

"It's true.. And you can't deny it.. That is why you are acting like this.." the half-masked assassin smirked at his junior.

"HeiLi?" Xiao Tian quickly released the purple-haired assassin when he heard a gentle voice calling out to him.

"I heard from Xiong Zhang that you got hurt in the mine, he wants to take a look at your injuries. And HuiMu, my brother wants to talk to you too" the cedar-haired beauty explained when Xiao Tian suddenly took off his outer hanfu.

"You shouldn't be up yet, how is your head?" the assassin put his coat onto Bai Feng's shoulder, now satisfied that the informant was wearing enough on this chilly morning.

"Your shoulder.." the cedar-haired man grimaced at the large bruise on the assassin's exposed right shoulder as the two walked back to meet the doctor. Leaving a certain gray-eyed assassin in a sour mood.

Bai Feng was tightly bandaging Xiao Tian's arm as the doctor sternly explained his situation.

"You should rest your shoulder, avoid painful movements and heavy lifting. At least until you feel better. Your arm and fingers may feel weak and numb for a while but you'll heal. Bai Feng will also help massage your neck and upper back muscles since it might get tight from your injury." Qiu Cheng instructed, earning a nod from the younger brother.

"Don't force yourself unless you want this to be a permanent issue. Call me if you need anything." the golden-eyed beauty went to tidy the medic kit while the assassin was plagued with what his senior had told him.

Would you still treat me this gently if you knew what I actually am Xiao Bai?

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Due to the recent events, the mine has been deemed too unstable for the miners, and the area was quickly sealed off by local authorities. For the next few days, Qiu Cheng and Zi Shi have been working together to create a cure for the miners while Bai Feng tends to the injured.

In the meantime, Xiao Tian went back to the headquarters to report on his investigation. Despite this, the organization boss narrowed his eyes when his right-hand man glossed over one fact.

"There is a noble family involved in this case, no?" Father's eyes were cold as he stared down at Xiao Tian.

"Yes, they're treating the wounded." the masked assassin replied, staying in his kneeling position,

"Remember, your target belongs to that family. If he's present, capture him."

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Hope you enjoyed reading 'Memory' <3 Votes and comments are highly appreciated!

What do you think is going to happen next?

Next Update: 5th May

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 499 51
The chairman to one of the renown group in the business world, who can have anyone he wanted should he said the three sacred words to them, fall in...
33.4K 1.2K 65
JiYuan woke up to find that he has turned into a big beauty. System : Our goal is to.... JiYuan (without any expression) : ...become a man. This is a...
351K 19.7K 37
"Lu ShiZun... I like you." "I like you too XiaoYin." "... My kind of like is where we'd tumble in bed all day all night kind of like ShiZun..." *fero...
37.7K 1.8K 16
Jin Guang Yao, the once known child of a prostitute, the ruthless Lanling Jin Sect Leader who killed his father, brother, teacher, wife, son, and fri...