The Monster's Stratagem (Lesb...

Door HeatherDarte

Welcome to the future, where humans no longer exist - or so the monsters want you to believe. Dawn, one of th... Meer

Playlists (updated)
Fan art!!
Part 1: The Venturer
Prologue
1: Dusk
2: The Small Family
3: Promising Gamble
4: Capture
5: Commander
6: Fury
7: Weak Point
8: The Orchestrated Escape Plan
9: List of the Missing
10: The Coward
11: Enemies in Need
12: Deceptive Tongues
13: Strained Alliance
14: Hidden in Plain Sight
15: The Moon City
16: Abandonment
17: The Four Rulers
18: The Powerful and The Powerless
19: Scream
20: Manipulator
21: Mad Dash
22: The Fall
23: The Cave of Beginning
24: Words Beneath the Rain
25: Homo praevalidus
26: Renegades
27: Strangers
28: Battle Lines
29: Traitor
30: Team of Two
31: The Imposter
32: Three Knives in the Back
33: Undone
Part 2: The Monster
34: Lost Soul
35: To the Depths
36: The Vengeful
37: The Arsonist
38: Finders Keepers
39: Shattered
40: Distractions
41: Life Debt
42: Stronger Still
43: Hallucinations
44: The Red Watcher
45: Ultimatum
46: The Tailor's Boy
47: The Unafraid
48: The Royal Guard
49: Costume
50: Infiltration
51: Threat From Above
52: Experiment Zero
53: The Guilt of the Dead
54: The Other Territories
56: Sly Evaluations
57: Positions of Power
58: Games at Midnight
59: Jealous Girl

55: Pit of Vipers

439 47 11
Door HeatherDarte

When the sun rose a few mornings after, it was the day that Dawn would be shown to the members of the royal Monstra. Not yet her coronation, but the day King Zyire introduced her as his heir.

"Today is your debut!" Gaige announced as he marched into Dawn's room early that morning, uncaring that she was still in bed. As if she needed reminding! "You need to look perfect, first impressions are incredibly important."

"I need to look intimidating, something that will make me look as if I belong to my status." She knew that her designer already knew as much, she believed she had said the words a thousand times over.

"You already look intimidating, but I'll do my best." He pondered for a moment, flinging open her wardrobe as if it belonged to him. Perusing the options, he pulled the same black gown that Dawn had first tried on; it's metal detailing gleaming like armour. It did look remarkably threatening. "This is the one I had originally envisioned."

"It's perfect." Dawn smiled, feeling a peculiar sense of fondness for that particular dress.

"Do you need help putting it on?" He asked, clearly remembering that she needed Syrena's assistance the first time.

"If you would be so kind."

With Gaige's help and nimble fingers, Dawn was dressed in no time. Staring at herself in the mirror, she ran her hands down the front of the garment, feeling the smooth fabric. It truly was a remarkable creation.

"Now, the matter of your hair." He said as he plucked a pair of heeled black boots from the wide range of options, having the princess step into them. It was a good thing she had practised walking in them beforehand otherwise it would've been notably embarrassing. Gaige then motioned for her to sit before him. "I was thinking of a braided updo considering the dress has a high neckline."

Dawn turned to look at him before being swatted by the boy so that he could easily access her hair. "You can braid hair too?"

"Einar has a little sister and I practised doing her hair every time I saw her." Gaige smiled happily, already working on Dawn's long mess of chestnut waves.

"Do you have a family?'

"I do, but I am not close with them." There was no hint of sadness in his voice, and Dawn suspected that he did not care. "I have long since considered the tailors my family. They took me in, showed me a world of colour and fabrics, and indulged in my fantasies. I couldn't have asked for nicer people to raise me."

"I'm glad to hear it."

"What about you?" His tone was cautious, but also curious. "You have two sisters? Not to mention King Zyire is your father."

Dawn noted that Gaige wisely did not mention Alani; on purpose no doubt. "Yes, you've met Rose. She isn't biologically related to me, but she is my family nonetheless. I have another sister who I thought I was related to, although she also does not share my blood."

"Who is this sister? Have I seen her before?"

She would've shaken her head if Gaige was not carefully pinning braids in place. "Her name is Freya, and I don't think you have seen her. She doesn't like Monstra."

"But you are a Monstra."

"I know." She said with a sad smile. Her heart refused to heal on that front. Perhaps she should seek her out again, wherever she was within the kingdom. Dawn also had not seen her around and she wondered how Freya filled her days. Was she happy? Well, as happy as she could be? Did she long for Kings Grave? Did Freya miss her at all?

"What do you think of King Zyire?" Gaige swiftly changed the topic, obviously seeing that Dawn was upset. "It was a shock to all of us to discover that he has a child."

"At first, I did not consider him as anything more than a Monstra ruler who showed me hospitality." She uttered, staring at her hands which were cradled in her lap. "However, Zyire has been nothing but kind. It's obvious he considers me his daughter and heir despite meeting me not that long ago. He told me as much."

"That's a good thing, isn't it?"

"I suppose." She shrugged, unsure of her feelings. Everything was muddled recently, and she would kill for a shred of clarity within herself. "I've never had any parental figure, so I'm not used to having someone there. I don't know how I feel."

"You have all of us now, anyway." Gaige smiled at her in the mirror as he applied the finishing touches to his masterpiece. "There, all done."

Dawn stared at the updo, at the intricate braids that gathered at the back. Gaige had purposefully loosened some strands, twisting them to frame her face much like she was prone to doing whenever she had styled her own sisters' hair. Touching it gently, she stared at it with abject fascination. The style was truly singular, and she saw that the boy had weaved threads of gold throughout.

"I think for makeup I'll just apply some black to line your eyes, some gold to dust your eyelids and cheeks, and then tint your lips." He mumbled to himself as he gathered the supplies, motioning for Dawn to face him. "You don't need much, you're already striking."

Dawn quickly glanced at herself again in the mirror, wondering what about her face constituted such a description. "I am?"

"Have you not realised before?" Gaige sounded rather perplexed, steady hands lining her eyes. "Please tell me you are not that oblivious, or humble."

"I suppose I never had much of a chance to look at my appearance while in Kings Grave. We were too focused on surviving to think about beauty."

"That's understandable, however you are objectively beautiful." He answered honestly, almost as if he could not believe that Dawn had a mirror before her and was still oblivious. "Perhaps the most in the entire kingdom."

Dawn laughed in her surprise. Every Monstra she had seen had an air of ethereal grace and charm. A pair of diamond eyes flashed in her mind, and she knew she was incomparable. "I very much doubt that."

"It's true! Ask the next person you meet, I can guarantee that they would agree."

Dawn, unmoved by Gaige's assurance, did not care much for her appearance. She looked the way she looked and, with her upbringing, believed that she had greater worries than if the people around her found her features agreeable. Even with that mentality, it was nice to hear the compliments all the same. It also wasn't as if she was completely ignorant of beauty; Syrena, for example, was in a class of her own.

"Do you feel ready?" Gaige asked as he began picking the jewellery to go with Dawn's frightening gown. As the gown had a high neckline, he selected a necklace that seemed to be a few chains joined together, adding to the armour of the dress.

"Not remotely." She answered honestly, wondering if Gaige enjoyed dressing people up. He looked as if there was nothing in the world he would rather be doing.

"I believe you'll be fine." He said confidently, quickly glancing at his own flawless appearance before continuing with Dawn. Gaige was certainly dressed for the occasion, not one to be underdressed for such a formal setting; she wasn't sure whether Gaige knew what the word underdressed meant. Even his jewellery appeared to be of the finest make, and she wondered just how handsomely he was paid for his services to Dawn by Zyire. Not that she had any concept of Monstra money, or how much things cost. She supposed that would come with time. "I haven't seen you act before, but you seem like the type of person who is good at that sort of thing."

"Do I?"

He nodded. "I would be terrible at it. Whatever I'm feeling is always written on my face, and people often say that I look down on them."

"Do you look down on people?"

"Only when I disagree with their sense of aesthetics." Gaige sniffed defensively. "We Monstra dress well, but certainly some do it better than others. Though, I think oftentimes people mistake my neutral expression as something else."

Dawn chuckled, finding it easy to imagine the picture Gaige was painting of his facial expressions. She had seen when his face was relaxed, and he certainly did hold an air of superiority to him.

A knock sounded, and Syrena stepped into the room. She was clad in formal armour, her hair was neat with not a single strand out of place, and she was carrying her spear; Dawn was surprised to find that she had sorely missed the weapon. Perhaps that was due to nostalgia more than a fondness for spears.

"Isn't she beautiful?" Gaige asked Syrena before the Commander could get a word in, beaming from ear to ear. He was certainly quick to act on his word, so much so that Dawn was almost caught off guard. "The most beautiful in all of the Eastern Territories?"

Now that's a stretch! Dawn thought but did not say, choosing to keep silent in favour of closely watching Syrena. She saw the way her eyes widened as she took her in, the way her gaze drifted downwards before back up and settled on her face, the way she swallowed thickly, the way her cheeks, neck, and the tips of her ears turned red.

"Well?" Gaige demanded, not taking her silence for an answer. Dawn was suddenly very pleased that he was persistent.

"Yes, very beautiful." Syrena mumbled and looked away, unable to bear the weight of being examined for her reaction.

"Is she the most beautiful you have ever seen?" He continued to press her, dissatisfied with her answer. Dawn knew that he wanted acknowledgement for his hard work. That, or he wanted to know what Syrena generally thought of her appearance. Either way, Dawn was silently cheering him on.

"What is with these questions?" Syrena protested, looking to Dawn for help against the designer. Only she knew she would not receive any from her once she caught sight of her grin.

"Answer the boy." Dawn said instead, folding her arms across her chest.

The Commander was heavily blushing at this stage, although she looked furious. As she turned back to Gaige, it was a wonder the boy did not wilt on the spot from her expression. "I have never seen another as exquisite as she is. Are you satisfied?"

Syrena had called her exquisite.

Gaige nodded in approval, having Dawn face him once more as he readjusted her already perfectly placed jewellery. "Very, my efforts have not been in vain."

Dawn looked down at him and he met her eye, a small smirk was playing at the corner of his lips. He knew exactly what he was doing. Giving him a knowing smile, Dawn felt her fondness for him grow. Not only had he made her look formidable, but he could make the Commander answer in her favour. Excellent work, she praised in her head, knowing her expression spoke for her. Gaige nodded in understanding, still smiling as he fixed her sleeve cuffs.

"You're ready." He announced, taking a step back to see the overall picture. "Stand straighter, your posture must be perfect."

Dawn did as he requested, squaring her shoulders and lifting her head.

"Utter perfection." Gaige nodded as he inspected her. "You will have them all weak in the knees."

At first, Dawn had been gazing at her unrecognisable reflection in the mirror, before her eyes shifted to the girl behind who still stood beside the door. Along with her spear, she appeared to be carrying something. "What is that in your hand?"

Syrena looked down at the item, and reflexively went to hide it behind her back before realising that that would be futile. Setting down her spear, Syrena held the item tightly but did not move from her position. It was clear that she wanted privacy.

"I will tell the others to prepare to leave." Gaige said before bowing and making a swift exit, not wanting to intrude where he was not wanted.

Dawn watched him leave, eyes remaining on the door until it had shut firmly behind him. Then her curious gaze fell on what Syrena was obviously self conscious about. "What is it?"

"I had to pick up a few things yesterday, one of which was fragrance." She fiddled with the bottle between her hands, looking everywhere but at Dawn; she seemed to be doing that a lot recently.

"That is not the bottle that carries your scent." She knew this to be a fact, having memorised Syrena's fragrance and what it came in. She would know it blindfolded. She could pick it out amongst thousands, if not for the smell then for the comfort it brought her.

"No, that one is in my room." She replied, daring to look the hybrid girl in the eyes. Syrena appeared to be challenging her to laugh, although Dawn did not have the urge to. "This one is for you."

"For me?" Dawn asked, remembering thinking that no scent could be attached to someone as rotten as her. She was also slightly surprised that she was being given a gift, she could scarcely remember the last one she had been given. "You chose one for me?"

"It was an accident, really." Syrena said, clenching her jaw as though that would prevent her from saying too much, from revealing too much. "I hadn't intended to buy you one, but it reminded me of you."

Dawn's chest ached at her words as she held out her waiting palm. Something reminded her of me. Perhaps something belongs to me, after all. Perhaps I belong to something. "Hand it over, then."

Syrena stepped forward before pausing, fixing the girl with a halfhearted glare. She didn't mean it, not really. "Don't laugh."

"I won't."

"Do you promise?"

"When have my promises ever meant anything to you?"

"Since you started keeping them."

Dawn paused for a moment, somewhat startled by Syrena's words. She hadn't realised that her newfound inclination to keep her promises to Syrena did not stem from the fact that she was the only one she trusted, but rather because she was someone she now cared for.

"This reminded you of me?" She asked after a while, wanting to hear her say those words again. She wanted some proof that she was not the only one who thought about the other.

Syrena nodded as she eventually handed her the bottle; hesitantly, as if she was giving her something private. Like how Dawn saw her when she smelled her fragrance, she wondered if Syrena saw her when smelling this one. What did she see? What was it about her that she connected to this?

The Commander took to staring out of the window as the princess gained an insight into what she thought of her. The scent was confusing, and yet highly addictive: musky, spicy, woody, earthy, and yet there was still a sweetness to it. There was a certain level of gentleness that took the powerful scent and turned it into something mysterious.

"Thank you." Dawn said sincerely, fingers curling around the little bottle of her.

Uncomfortable under her heavy stare, Syrena nodded again. "We should bring Gaige back, he'll want to make some final touches."

"Wait." Dawn caught her arm as the Commander had made to move towards the door, not yet ready to face the day. She wanted as much private time as she could buy. "Just one more minute."

Syrena observed her, knowing why Dawn was hesitant to step outside of the room. "You can cancel today."

"We both know I can't."

"I'll be there."

But you won't be beside me. "I know."

"I will not let them harm you."

"That's not what I'm concerned about." She smiled a little, fingers curling and tightening around Syrena's forearm as she needed something to hold onto. It had become easier to open up to the Commander considering she had seen Dawn at her worst. "I'm usually good at rapidly moving plans and adapting myself to them, but even I have my limits. I feel like I'm drowning, and there is a furious current pulling me down. I don't know how to stay afloat."

Syrena listened intently, voice dropping to a dulcet whisper. "You have come a long way from the girl I met."

"I don't even know who she was, I have changed a lot since then." Dawn sighed, weary head dropping to rest on Syrena's shoulder. The metal of her armour was cool beneath her skin and not the most comfortable, but she couldn't bring herself to care.

"You may have changed but you're still you." The Commander leaned into her, offering what support she could. "Incessantly irritating and constantly up to no good."

Laughing lightly, Dawn wrapped her arms around Syrena's waist, trying to find the courage to face the Monstra rulers. "If I asked you to do something for me, would you?"

"I'll do whatever it is you need me to do." She murmured against her hair.

"Don't leave my side today."

"That's hardly a request, I feel as though I rarely leave your side as it is."

"Promise me."

"I promise."

Knowing Syrena kept her word, Dawn relaxed again. "Good, with that I think I'm ready."

"I'll send for Gaige." Syrena nodded as she stepped away and out the door, and Dawn missed her touch as she watched her leave.

They finished their final preparations within the hour, and Gaige happily applied the new fragrance to her person. Dawn, whose body was beginning to tremble with fear, kept her expression carefully neutral. If she was afraid now, how would she fare when faced with the other rulers? "Syrena, how long until I must be in the throne room?"

"We should leave soon, the other Territories have already arrived." Syrena answered, looking as though she very much wanted to approach her. She knew Dawn was scared, of course she did.

"Very well, lead the way." Dawn took a few deep breaths before following Syrena out of the door, Gaige not too far behind.

Sika, Ricard, and Einar joined them at the stairs, forming a square around the princess with Syrena. Rose, while invited to the welcome gathering, had chosen not to go. Dawn understood her decision, it would be hard to be a human in a room full of Monstra, especially when one didn't know how well received they would be. She understood that feeling too well for comfort.

The walk to the throne room felt like a march to the gallows, and every step Dawn took felt heavier than the last. Her heart was beating wildly within her chest, and her vision had begun to blur at the edges, warping and twisting.

"Syrena, remind me to see Nysteria at the next opportunity." Dawn's fingers felt numb, and she struggled to trample her emotions down. Get a grip, she whispered to herself, get a fucking grip. You can't lose it today, not today.

Dawn's words obviously troubled the Commander but she still nodded, not wanting to ask about personal matters when not in private.

When they turned the corner, Dawn's steps faltered at the sight of strawberry blonde hair. Her body froze and she barely registered her court stopping around her, curiously looking between the two girls. Only Syrena knew the true depth behind Dawn's anguished expression, and she moved ever so slightly towards her.

"Freya." The word slipped off of Dawn's tongue before she had time to stop it.

With wide eyes, Freya looked at her as though she had never seen her before, and Dawn remembered she was dressed for Monstra royalty. No longer was she the girl Freya knew, not the older sister who had sacrificed every month for her, not the human Venturer who was raised in the forest. Here, she looked every inch of a Monstra princess, and was completely unrecognisable.

Dawn almost wept at the sight of her, having kept the pain of missing Freya at bay so she would not lose herself to her despair. Now that she was before her, she could no longer ignore it. What she wouldn't give to run towards her, to take her in her arms like she used to, but Freya had changed too.

With a look betraying her alarm, Freya turned and dashed down the hall, desperate to put as much distance between herself and Dawn as possible.

"Wait!" Dawn's foot slid forward, and she could feel her body coil the way it did when she was preparing to run. Why was Freya running from her? Why did she look scared? Surely she knew that all she had ever done was protect her?

In her bewilderment, she stepped forward again. Freya had never been a fast runner and it would be a simple thing for Dawn to catch her, even in such an unconventional dress. However, once her mind had caught up to the situation, she realised with deep founded horror that the circumstance would not permit for her to do what she wished most. Dawn was expected in the throne room, she had arrangements she had to uphold. Suddenly, she felt chained once more to the kingdom, but the shackles that bound her were forged from her own choices. So, Dawn could do little more than watch her youngest sister run away until she was out of sight, fighting back tears as she did so.

She could feel the Monstra around her question whether they should say something but, not wanting or needing their pity, Dawn allowed herself to take a few ragged breaths before marching forward, determined to see the day through now that it had cost her something precious.

The throne room doors were already open for her and she marvelled at how luxurious the area had been made to look. While the room itself had not changed, a banquet table had been set up with various types of foods and drinks that Dawn had never tried before. Gilded decorations adorned the pillars and walls, making the space appear rich and regal.

There were Monstra she both recognised and didn't, although all of which were of higher ranks and belonged to their nation. The generals and other courtiers were present, along with various Protectors standing guard around the hall, no doubt chosen by Syrena for today. She also caught sight of Leixa, who quickly crossed the cavernous room to join their ranks. She was more than welcome, Dawn was even considering inviting her into her court.

Having been told that she was to stand on the steps of the dais before Zyire, Dawn approached. Only, when she looked towards the thrones, there were two people standing there instead of one.

Alani stared at her from beside Zyire, her dress fit for a queen. Having not expected to see the witch today, Dawn was taken aback, and her careful control threatened to slip at the sight. She has to be here, she reminded herself as she struggled to regain control of her wild and volatile emotions, remember your agreement.

She paused, staring up at the dais where Zyire and Alani stood. She could see the step before them, her place before them. The King's face was kind, as if understanding her apprehension and looking no more pleased to have the witch at his side. The Queen's icy eyes were cold and calculating, far removed from the situation. In this instance, Dawn could only understand Alani's countenance.

Dawn fought back the slight shake of her body, forcing herself to snip away at her emotions so that she did not feel fear. She couldn't, not here.

Doing her best to feel nothing, she stepped forward, marching up the dais to take her place before her parents. Turning to face the front of the room, she ignored the stares of every Monstra present, including her court. Keeping her gaze fixed on the door, Dawn found herself happy for the first time that she had inherited Alani's callousness. The trait was the only thing keeping her going.

She could feel Syrena watching her from her place at the side, standing at the foot of the dais, removed from the rest as she was the Commander and not an untitled Protector. She ignored her too, putting up a metaphorical wall so that she could remain focused.

The doors to the throne room opened once more, and a single Monstra stepped through. Dawn recognised him as one of the attendants that had scurried about for the past couple of weeks, although she did not know his name.

He approached his rulers and bowed deeply, showing his respect and submission. Then he straightened and faced the door, clearing his throat. "May I present the esteemed rulers of the Western Territories, Queen Coralia and her daughter, Princess Litsa. Joining them is the Commander of the Western Territories, Commander Eamon."

Three Monstra passed through the open doors first, followed by their party, and Dawn got her first look at royalty from outside of the eastern borders.

Any preconceived notions she once had about what to expect were immediately forgotten. Before her stood two extraordinary beings, cloaked in golden sunshine with dark, shimmering skin. They had horns, not small things like Zyire's, but long and curved, adorned with golden chains and gems.

Queen Coralia was a truly otherworldly creature, and yet there was still an aspect of her that appeared almost human. Was that due to the Blood of the First?

Her daughter, Princess Litsa, seemed more like a Monstra than her mother, most likely due to her father's blood. Dawn had learned that the consorts of the monarchs remained in their kingdoms, ruling in their spouses' absence. She had also learned that only a few of the monarch's children were to make an appearance for Dawn's coronation, and she wondered what qualified them to attend a coronation rather than their siblings.

Then there was Commander Eamon, with his familiar eastern features, who was diligently staring ahead and ignoring his rival who stood closeby. Daring a glance at Syrena, Dawn bit her lip to prevent from laughing at her sour expression. It was clear they still did not like each other, and hate did not seem to be too strong of a word.

There was still so much about Syrena's past that Dawn was not aware of, and she did not like this fact. Especially seeing as Eamon, along with Ricard, Sika, and Leixa knew more about her past having grown up with her. This made Dawn feel like an outsider, and she did not take kind to that feeling. She felt it enough as it was.

Suddenly, she wished Rose was beside her, craving someone from her own childhood. The only other person she wished for did not feel the same, and Dawn did not think of her name for fear of ruining her perfect façade.

"Queen Coralia and Princess Litsa, we welcome you." Zyire spoke from behind Dawn, genuine fondness obvious in his tone. She had learned a while ago that the East and West were on good terms, and Dawn held onto that piece of information should it come in handy.

"We thank you for your invitation, although you can imagine our surprise upon hearing that you have sired an heir." Queen Coralia responded in kind, smiling at her old friend before her gaze fell to his daughter. Dawn did not miss the fact that she ignored Alani's presence completely. "We have very much looked forward to meeting you."

Dawn kept her body perfectly still and her voice was steady when she spoke, betraying nothing of her feelings; her squashed terror. "And I you. I have heard so much about you."

"All good things, I hope." The Western Queen smiled before nodding at her daughter, who seemed fit to burst for want of introducing herself.

Having received permission, Princess Litsa smiled widely at Dawn. "It is so lovely meeting you, I hope we become fast friends."

"I'd like that." Dawn smiled falsely as she lied, not wanting to add another person to care for to her list. She had reached max capacity in that department.

Believing her lie, Litsa looked as if she wanted to hug her but was confined to standing and smiling.

Having made their introductions, the party from the Western Territories stepped away from the dais and to the side, allowing for the annoncer to introduce the next group. Dawn suddenly realised that this day would last a while, and she did not feel equipped to handle it.

Looking to her side, she saw that Syrena was still resolutely staring at the doors, looking every inch of the title she bore. Although, despite not showing it, Dawn knew she also wished for the day to end. That knowledge consoled her somewhat. Their eyes met briefly, and Dawn offered her a small smile before turning back to face the doors.

"The esteemed rulers of the Northern Territories, Queen Elowyn and her sons, the Crown Prince Emery, and the Princes Mika and Jona. Joining them is the Commander of the Northern Territories, Commander Eris."

It was suddenly clear that Ricard's lineage did indeed hail from the Northern Territories as the appearances of their rulers were very reminiscent of her guard. Midnight raven hair and glittering eyes, although their skin tone was more akin to white clouds rather than the smokey, wispy grey of Ricard.

Queen Elowyn did not spare so much of a glance towards her fellow monarchs, only keeping her sharp gaze on Dawn, pinning her where she stood. Ricard had said she was a fair queen, but he was born in the east so Dawn could not trust his word. Especially not when faced with her direct attention.

Her sons also held her under scrutiny, curious to see just who was joining their ranks. They all looked much like their mother, with the only difference between them being the fact that they were of different ages, and their eye shades were varying inhuman colours.

"I cannot deny you look much like your father." Queen Elowyn spoke first once they were a few feet away from the dais. "There is no questioning your blood."

Dawn, who did not know the correct way to respond, spoke with as much grace as she could muster. "I shall take that as a compliment."

"If you like." She arched an eyebrow, an insincere glint in her glittering blue eyes. "It is a deep shame about your wings."

Dawn did not know how the northern queen had come by that information, but she did recognise what she was doing. Luckily for Dawn, she had never risen to provocation. So, smiling unkindly, she inclined her head. "I have my mother to thank for that."

A hush fell across the throne room, filling the air with an uncomfortable stillness. Dawn, while hyper aware of Alani standing behind her, took great amounts of satisfaction upon seeing the fact that she had made the party from the Northern Territories mildly uncomfortable. It appeared as though her cut wings were common knowledge.

Queen Elowyn did not try to provoke her again. "I look forward to getting to know you."

No you don't, Dawn thought but did not say, too busy observing her sons who appeared to be fighting their discomfort at the topic of conversation. Were they embarrassed?

"Queen Elowyn, we welcome you and your sons to the East." Zyire said, although there was a hard edge to his tone. He was clearly unhappy about the conversation too.

Much like those from the west had done, the northern party moved to the side to allow for the final group to enter. This happened to be the one Dawn was most excited for. She did enjoy a good verbal spar.

"The rulers of the Southern Territories, Queen Kaira and her daughters, Crown Princess Anath, and Princess Dilah. Joining them is the Commander of the Southern Territories, Commander Leszy."

Ah, the dictator, Dawn fought a smile as they stepped through, ready to meet the ones they were most hostile with.

As Kaira and Coralia were sisters, their appearances were much the same. However, where Coralia was pure radiance, Kaira was harsh and uninviting. Her daughters were much the same, although Dawn noted that the Crown Princess, Anath, seemed to be more open and friendly compared to the people she travelled with. She even dared to give Dawn a smile, and the hybrid girl fought to keep the confusion from her face. She certainly hadn't been expecting that.

"This is your creation?" Queen Kaira said by way of greeting, ignoring Dawn and Alani completely. It was no secret that the southern queen did not approve of humans, and was even more against breeding with them.

"This is my daughter." Zyire replied stiffly, and Dawn suddenly felt the long standing tension between the two nations.

"You recognise this thing as your child?"

Amidst the silence that fell, every Protector within the room belonging to the Eastern Territories, including Ricard, Sika, Einar, Leixa, and Syrena, shifted. Their armour clinked and the hilts of their weapons slammed against the floor; a non-verbal warning.

"Come now, mother, we are here to celebrate." Anath whispered, attempting to diffuse the situation. The warning had obviously frightened her.

Dawn, who was not offended in the slightest and actually rather amused, decided to have a little fun. "Ah, the famous dictator queen of the south. I have heard so much about you."

"Dictator?" Kaira's face turned from pink to purple in her anger. "You dare speak to me in such a way?"

"Seeing as I am merely a thing and am of no importance, certainly you are not offended over such insignificant words? Surely a thing cannot offend a queen?" She goaded further, fighting a smile. Yes, she could get used to this rather nicely.

"Zyire, control your daughter."

Dawn was not finished. "So now, when it is convenient, you address me as a person."

Zyire, who had no inkling to restrain anyone and was rather put out, ignored Queen Kaira's request. "Those are her opinions, she can voice them."

"Welcome to the Eastern Territories." Dawn did smile this time, baring her teeth.

"Thank you for having us." Anath said quickly before ushering her still fuming mother and silent sister to the side, closely followed behind by the Commander of the Southern Territories and the rest of the important members of their society.

Now that introductions had concluded, the announcer stepped forward once more. "Esteemed and noble guests, it is my honour to present the rulers of the Eastern Territories, King Zyire, Queen Alani, and their daughter, Crown Princess Dawn. Joining them before the dais is the Commander of the Eastern Territories, Commander Syrena."

There was not a single pair of eyes that were not on Dawn. Each and every unfamiliar face present in the room was openly evaluating her and wondering what she could be. Some faces were carefully masking their true emotions, others were obviously apprehensive, some were disgusted, some were smiling.

This was her battleground. The vipers had arrived, and Dawn felt her lips stretch over her teeth in a twisted smile. It was finally time to play.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

2.6K 235 16
Book three of Country Core Series. From birth, Trinity saw the world differently than her peers. Not that she knew much of her peers in her childhoo...
72.9K 3.2K 48
[GxG] Sage Miller, a young woman in her twenties didn't have the best life growing up. Her journey in life had its shares of downs and disappointment...
2.5K 130 24
For the hopeless romantics like myself๐Ÿคญ(start might be a little slow but trust me it's worth it) Scared to feel, scared to love, scared to live. She...
128K 3.2K 21
"I would prefer not to hurt you, but I will if I need to." They said. I felt cold metal on my neck moving lightly against my skin. My emotions were a...