Beiji

By Goldfishlife

"In a life filled with unvoiced and therefore unanswered questions, if there was one thing with which Wan Xue... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 (Pt. 1)
Chapter 1 (Pt. 2)
Chapter 1 (Pt. 3)
Chapter 1 (Pt. 4)
Chapter 2 (Pt. 1)
Chapter 2 (Pt. 2)
Chapter 2 (Pt. 3)
Chapter 2 (Pt. 4)
Chapter 3 (Pt. 1)
Chapter 3 (Pt. 2)
Chapter 3 (Pt. 4)
Chapter 4 (Pt. 1)
Chapter 4 (Pt. 2)
Chapter 4 (Pt. 3)
Chapter 5 (Pt. 1)
Chapter 5 (Pt. 2)
Chapter 6 (Pt. 1)
Chapter 6 (Pt. 2)
Chapter 6 (Pt. 3)

Chapter 3 (Pt. 3)

1 0 0
By Goldfishlife

Meng Yuan backed up into the house and watched as Wan Xue closed the door behind them once more. The pack ended up on the table this time, instead of on the floor, but Wan Xue didn't open it, merely studying the emperor for a moment. Meng Yuan was not wearing anything aside from a thin shirt and a pair of loose fitting pants that he undoubtedly would have normally worn underneath his outer clothes. It wasn't necessarily an outfit that would seem out of place, since this was what many of the common people wore on a regular basis, Wan Xue included. But this particular outfit was stained with blood.

After a moment's hesitation, Wan took off his outer robe with a sigh, so that he was now dressed similarly to Meng Yuan. Regretfully, he held it out to Meng Yuan instead. He'd saved for a long time to be able to buy it last fall in preparation for winter, and not only was it the only one he currently owned, but it was also the only one he'd ever owned.

"You want me to wear it?"

Wan Xue raised an eyebrow. What else would I want you to do with it? Carry it? Throw it in the garbage? Do you think I wanted to travel like this, without it?

His expression conveyed enough that Meng Yuan hurriedly began clothing himself. The fabric was still warm from Wan Xue's body, and it wasn't until that moment that Meng Yuan realized how cold he'd been up until now. The quality of this new article of clothing wasn't as fine as what he was already wearing, but it was warmer all the same, and he was grateful for that.

"Thank you," he said, looking up from his perusal of the clothes he'd just put on.

Wan Xue was watching him with an unreadable expression, already holding out another item and waiting on him. When Meng Yuan didn't move to accept it, he stepped forward and pulled the collar of the robe closer together as best he could, given its size, and reached up past that afterwards. None too gently, he pushed the hat down on Meng Yuan's head, far enough in the front that the top half of his face was hidden.

"Uhh...I can't see anything now." Despite him having said this, Wan Xue was close enough still after just letting go of the hat, that Meng Yuan was able to look down and meet his gaze. However, anything in front of him was lost from sight. It wasn't as it was meant to be worn, since it was meant to keep out the sun while he worked, not obstruct his vision, but in this case, this seemed like the best way to do things.

Well, that's just too bad, isn't it? Wan Xue walked away, slung his pack over his shoulder, and left the house.

The street was deserted still. Even so, they'd need to stick to lesser known streets and alleys, but Wan Xue knew enough of them that it wasn't too worrisome. Well, it was still worrisome. He didn't want to think about what might happen if he was caught trying to smuggle the emperor out of the city after being sold as a slave earlier in the day. Reaching in his pocket, he touched the paper there. Would it really be enough to get them out of the capital? What if one of the gate guards recognized the emperor? Surely not all of the men in the army had seen the emperor up close, right?

Still scanning the street to make sure they were alone, Wan Xue paused just outside the door, and Meng Yuan abruptly ran into him from behind with a grunt. The impact nearly sent him off balance – just how fast had he been walking? – until two hands grabbed him by the shoulders and kept him steady.

"Ah! I'm sorry!" Meng Yuan exclaimed. "I told you, I can't see anything."

You can still watch your own feet, can't you? Wan Xue shook off his hands, irritated, and turned around.

"I didn't –"

Wan Xue held a finger to his own lips and stood close enough that Meng Yuan could see his face. Did he want to be caught by the guards?

"Ah, right." His voice dropped to a whisper.

Was the emperor actually, secretly, stupid?

With one hand holding onto his belongings, Wan Xue grabbed Meng Yuan by the sleeve, and dragged him off down the street and into an alleyway. There would be no going to the farm, no goodbyes made, no explanations given. But people disappeared all the time, especially people like him. Had anyone questioned his absence this last week? Would anyone question if it extended indefinitely? He was just an orphan who grew up on the streets. There was no one to check in on him, no one to look for him if he vanished.

About to step out from an alleyway to cross a street, Wan Xue's sharp hearing caught the faint sound of footsteps from somewhere nearby. In a panic, he grabbed Meng Yuan by the arm, dragging him back into the alley he was about to step out from and pushed him against the side of a building. Hidden in the shadows, Wan Xue held his breath, turning his head enough to see the entrance to the alleyway, and they both watched as a man walked past. Meng Yuan could only make out his feet and part of his legs past the hat over his eyes, but Wan Xue could see that it was one of the guards and instinctively tried to shrink further into the shadows, pressing unconsciously closer to Meng Yuan, his eyes never leaving the man's retreating form.

Meng Yuan could barely see the passerby anyway, so he looked down at Wan Xue instead, surprised by the tightness of his grip on both of his arms. Their chests were nearly pressed together with as close as he'd shifted to stay out of sight, and their faces would have been uncomfortably close had Meng Yuan not been so much taller than Wan Xue.

As they waited, listening to the man's retreating footsteps, Meng Yuan studied the face of his near-savior. His brow was furrowed with concern, his eyes looking only in the one direction, and Meng Yuan could sense the fear he was radiating, and wondered, Is he that worried about getting me out of the city? No, of course not. He would be worried about the repercussions on himself if they were caught. But then...why help him in the first place?

Wan Xue's lips were pressed tightly together, his eyes scanning the entrance to the alleyway. This was the closest they had been to each other since meeting, and it had been dark the entire time, so this was the most clearly Meng Yuan had been able to see the other man's face. He couldn't help but think that he looked rather pretty, even worried as he was, his more delicate features a startling contrast to Meng Yuan's. Meng Yuan wondered if he would have remembered his own appearance if he'd not seen his reflection in a mirror upon waking.

Abruptly, his eyes still perusing the man's fair skin, their gazes met as Wan Xue looked up at him. Thrusting himself away from Meng Yuan, he stumbled back into the alley as if he wasn't the one who'd designed that arrangement to begin with.

"Shhh," Meng Yuan said without thought, a finger raised to his lips, a slight smile causing one side of his mouth to lift almost imperceptibly. "We don't want to get caught." His voice was no more than a whisper, but it still seemed to anger Wan Xue somehow.

With a scowl, Wan Xue turned away and checked the street for any signs of other people. It was empty. He hefted his pack back onto his shoulder from where it had slid off. Thankfully he'd kept hold of it in his hand so it didn't hit the ground and attract attention.

"Hang on." Meng Yuan was still whispering, but there was a weight pulling on Wan Xue's pack, just like back at his house, so he turned around and tried to yank it from the other's grip again. Instead of it working like last time, Meng Yuan didn't let go, pulling it back towards himself, nearly sending Wan Xue off his feet. After stumbling forward a step, Wan Xue let go for fear of colliding with him.

His hand followed after it though, grasping at the air where it had been, when Meng Yuan threw it over his own shoulder. His hat had fallen back, and his eyes showed his smile more than his mouth did.

"I'll carry it for you," he said quietly. "It's the least I can do."

But Wan Xue shook his head insistently, reaching out and trying to take it back. That bag held everything he'd ever owned, aside from the clothes they were wearing and the pouch of money that remained close to his chest and out of sight.

He grabbed the strap and pulled on it. However, Meng Yuan didn't let go, using his other hand instead to cover Wan Xue's. "It's alright," he reassured him. "I'm not going to steal from you. You're the only person who has helped me so far, and even if for that reason alone, I feel as if I can trust you – which makes you the only person I trust right now. I won't so carelessly throw away your friendship by repaying your kindness with theft."

Kindness. Friendship. Trust. He threw these words around as if they had any place in the relationship between them. Wan Xue wanted to be angry. He was angry. He hated Meng Yuan for what he had done to him. But the man in front of him...

Wan Xue didn't know why, but with his sudden declaration of trust, he felt strangely guilty, which bothered him even more than his hatred, so he let go of the strap and stepped back.

Meng Yuan seemed to not notice anything amiss, pulling the borrowed hat forward on his head – though not as far as Wan Xue had – and smiling as if he hadn't lost his memories and as if he wasn't running from a group of soldiers whose intents he didn't know.

"Let's go," he said, passing Wan Xue to check the street and walk out into it.

Wan Xue followed, catching up just as Meng Yuan stopped in the middle of the street, Wan Xue's pack slung over his shoulder. He stopped next to him and looked up as if waiting for him to come to the proper conclusion.

"Right," Meng Yuan said at last. "I don't know where we're going."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

358K 24.3K 168
Jing He, crown prince of the nine heavens, has to descend into the mortal realm to weather a human life full of vicissitudes. Each event carefully cr...
111K 921 108
Original / male male / time travel / high H / drama / beauty shou / black belly attack βœ”οΈ The full text has been completed 1v1 bisexual big tits swee...
158 0 44
Updates Fridays AEST [Cross-posting to Royal Road and Scribblehub.] *** What to expect: - Comedic elements but an overall serious storyline - Subvers...
14.6K 566 31
[The same world as 'The Dragon's Flower. Can be read as stand alone. This is not the FULL version!] The first man she fell in love with was one-sided...