Duvarları içinde - within the...

By m3edina1

Duvarları içinde (within the walls) Great-granddaughter of Suleyman Shah and Hayme Ana Granddaughter of Ertuğ... More

Before you read
Glossary
Charachters
Prologue/Extended Description
Relationships
Chapter 0
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 8

63 1 5
By m3edina1

A/N

Thank you for the reads! I never realized that so many people would read this fanfic. It only motivates me to write even more!

 As you witnessed in the prior chapters, Mihrimah's and Osman's relationship can be rocky from time to time. But he does rely on her, when it comes to enemies of higher power, as long as she doesn't do something that would endanger her.

This chapter will be of how Mihrimah was encouraged to accept her title as a Sultana and things here and there.

Chapters like these of the past, might be longer than other chapters in general, as they usually cover a couple of episodes.

This chapter covers notable scenes from episode 33-40 of season 2, along with my own inputs to the story with insight of Mihrimah's past.

And sorry for the wait, it took a while to write this chapter.

After Aygul found out that she was pregnant with Alisar's child, she had gone more mad. After losing her brother and mother, people started to call her crazy.

Therefore, Selcan decided to take Aygul to the mountains for a year and half. Mihrimah too accompanied them.

Mihrimah helped Selcan taking care of Aygul's son, as she didn't want to anything to do with Alisar's son.

After recovering, Aygul and Mihrimah were trained by Selcan to be able to fight and protect themselves.

In the meantime, many have returned to the Kayi tribe, one of them being Hazal Hatun, who was Dundar Bey's first wife. Eventually, the Bey of the Kayi tribe, Ertuğrul, also returned. Gunduz and Osman's brother, Savci also returned with his wife Lena.

Many events had happened during Mihrimah's absence, but the most notable was that her grandfather Ertuğrul was still very sick and his sons Savci and Osman and his brother Dundar were fighting over the title of Bey. And they were all at odds with each other.

After greeting her friends and family, she was now in her grandfathers tent, trying to nurse him back to health. Aside from fighting, Selcan had also taught her about medicine.

Mihrimah and Lena were around Ertuğrul and his health was getting worser, which made Lena run out to Savci, who was fighting with Osman.

Mihrimah took a deep breath and dipped the cloth into water to reduce his fever.

''Father!'' voices called out to Ertuğrul. It was his three sons, Gunduz, Savci and Osman.

''Be quiet!'' Mihrimah hissed at her uncles. ''He's only having a high fever.''

''It's there a way to bring it down?'' Gunduz asked.

''I send Serkan to make some tea of sage* Lena you go and bring me some clear water from the river, it's faster that way. I can make a herbal tea to bring down his fever.''

Lena only nodded and left the tent. ''Ya Shafi.'' Mihrimah said while putting a wet cloth on Ertuğrul's forehead.

Serkan returned with Lena in tow and Mihrimah let Lena take care of Ertuğrul, while she pouring water for her grandfather. She took a smaller bowl, which they used for soup and poured the tea into it.

She motioned for Lena to mover and called out to Serkan. ''Straighten him up.''

After he helped Mihrimah with that, she slowly poured the tea into his mouth. '''Ya Shafi.'

Two days had passed since Ertuğrul's health scare and the brothers hand entrusted him in Mihrimah's capable hands. He was still sleeping silently though, but his fever had gone down. That also meant Mihrimah was to stay at the Bey's tent and she could keep track of what was happening from the main area of the tent, if they were having Divan*.

Osman was still set on that Aya Nikola and Flatyos were enemies and to conquer Kulucahisar.

Savci Bey was being provoked by Yavlak Arslan.

Gunduz Bey was continuing to keep his two younger brothers at bay.

Kuman Turks arrived as a supporting units to Kulucahisar, who betrayed their Bey and held his daughter captive.

Problem after problem was coming to the Kayi's one after another.

Ertuğrul opened his eyes and was met by a praying Abdurrahman Gazi, who became relieved by seeing his Bey awake.

''May Allah bless you, Abdurrahman Gazi.''

''Bey'im. Thanks Allah, Bey'im.''

''How are things in the tribe?'' Ertuğrul asked concerned about what happened while he wasn't awake.

''Geyhatu came with his army, Bey'im. He came to the entrance of this tent with his commanders and asked for his son Mönke. But don't worry, Bey'im. We didn't let him dirty the grace of your tent.''

''What did my children do?''

''Osman came, Bey'im. And Savci came with Mönke. Osman did disobey you, but he ruined Mönke's game and saved his brother. He put Geyhatu's trouble off, thanks to Allah.''

Ertuğrul nodded and said. ''My dark Osman...'' He suddenly paused as he realized that his illness was too much for him too handle, but then someone entered his room, before he could say more.

''Grandfather.'' Mihrimah's face lightened up, when she saw her grandfather awake. She put bowl with fruit down as soon as she sat down besides her grandfather. She took his hand and kissed his hand and put it to her forehead.

Serkan who was following along, also greeted him the same way and sat besides his uncle, Abdurrahman Gazi.

''My beautiful Sun.'' Ertuğrul smiled at his only granddaughter. ''My Moon.''

''How are you feeling, grandfather?''

''Better thanks to you, my dear.'' Ertuğrul said. ''It's good that you came now. I was just about to say that I have to make a decision. And soon.''

''Who's supposed to be the next Bey, right?'' Mihrimah frowned.

''Yes, and I want you to be a part of it.''

''Grandfather, I know what you're going to say, but...''

''Mihrimah'm. I understand your reluctance, but you must consider the greater good of our tribe.''

Mihrimah let go of Ertuğrul's hand fidgeted with the fabric of her dress. ''But Grandfather, I have never been interested in the title. I have even not been trained in the ways of diplomacy or governance. I am a warrior, like the rest of our tribe.''

 Abdurrahman Gazi helped his old friend to sit up, and Ertuğrul cupped his granddaughter's  cheek. ''Your worth is not measured solely by your prowess on the battlefield, Mihrimah'm. You are the product of the noble lineages, descendant of the great Seljuk state. Your blood carries the weight of history, and with it, the responsibility to help support our people. I know that you of all people won't fall prey to the greediness of that power, that comes along. And I didn't assign Serkan to just follow you around and teach you. I also assigned him to educate you of the way of those in Konya.''

''But what good is such a title to our tribe? We have always lived by the code of our Bey.''

Ertuğrul nodded thoughtfully. ''True strength lies not only in the sword but also in the mind and heart. As Sultana, you will wield influence beyond the battlefield. You will be our voice among allies and adversaries alike, ensuring the survival and prosperity of our people in times of peace as well as war.''

Mihrimah's brow furrowed with uncertainty. ''But what if I fail? What if I am unable to live up to the expectations placed upon me?''

Ertuğrul's expression softened. He couldn't help but think of his oldest son Tarik, who meet a cruel fate. ''Failure is not the absence of success, but rather a stepping stone on the path to greatness. You have the strength and resilience of our ancestors within you, Mihrimah. Trust in yourself, and you will not falter.''

Mihrimah sighed. ''But what of the Beys? Will they accept me?''

Ertugrul nodded. ''The Beys may be hesitant at first, but they will come to recognize your support. Our tribe faces enemies more powerful than any Bey can overcome alone. As Sultana, you will stand by the Bey and unite our people, forging alliances and guiding us through the challenges that lie ahead. Not to mention that you know about other religions too, that knowledge will also be important.''

Mihirmah's gaze flickered, she was uncertain. There was some truth in what he said. ''I will consider your words, Grandfather, but I make no promises.''

Ertuğrul placed a comforting hand on Mihirmah's  shoulder. ''Take your time, Mihrimah. This decision cannot be made lightly. But remember, you are not alone. Serkan will stand by your side, guiding you every step of the way.''

Mihrimah sat on the stairs and looked at the stairs. Her thoughts were swirling around her head. The weight of her lineage finally caught up to her. The decision to accept or reject the title of Sultana loomed large in her mind.

Serkan, her loyal aide left the tent to find his mistress lost in thought. ''Sultan'im.''

''Serkan.'' Mihrimah spoke softly and motioned him to sit down besides her. ''I appreciate your support throughout this ordeal. Your loyalty means more to me than words can express. You of all understand best how I feel about this.''

Serkan bowed his head respectfully. ''Mihrimah, it is my honor to serve you in any capacity you deem fit. Your happiness and well-being are my utmost priority."

Mihrimah smiled. ''Thank you, Serkan. Your loyalty is a rare, and something that I do not take lightly.''

Serkan's gaze softened. ''Whatever decision you make, I will stand by you without question. Your happiness and fulfillment are very important for me, and I will do everything in my power to support you.''

''Your words mean more to me than you know, Serkan.'' Mihrimah said. ''To have someone as loyal and devoted as you by my side is a blessing beyond measure.''

Serkan inclined his head. ''It is my duty and privilege to serve you. Whatever challenges lie ahead, know that you do not face them alone.''

Everyone was present at Dundar's tent. Family had got together to dine.

Dundar Bey sat at the middle of the table, with Hazal, Lena, Bala and Aygul at his right side of the table. Selcan, Gunduz, Savci and Osman at his left side of the table.

''May Allah be content with my nephew Gunduz.'' Dundar spoke. ''He has brought us together. All of you have come to my tent, and bought me joy. Thank you.''

''Eyvallah, uncle.'' Gunduz was the only one who spoke. Osman and Savci were quiet. ''But father is still not well, so we're also sad. If we support each other and if we're kind to each other, we can get 'through these difficult days. Right, brothers?''

''Yes, brother.'' Savci answered. ''Why do we have to fight each other and not speak to each other?''

''That's right, boys.'' Selcan said proud of her nephew's words. ''Thank Allah. Always be like this, alright?''

''Destur var mi?'' could be heard from the outside.

''Gelesin.'' Dundar spoke.

Through the door, Mihrimah appeared . ''Sorry. I'm late! I had to freshen up and change to some more decent clothes. So I ran all the way to my tent and to here. And almost tripped along the way.''

Not being part of the previous conversation, she had obviously lightened up the mood.

''Don't worry, kizim. Sit.'' Dundar assured. Mihrimah sat down besides Osman and shifted a little in her seat.

''Look.'' Hazal Hatun started. ''If we knew that you would be late, it would be fine. But just barging in is lack of mannerism. I wouldn't even be surprised if you were late on your own wedding.''

Mihrimah scowled at her words, but didn't want to stay quiet and not defend herself.

But Dundar spoke before her. ''Easy, Hazal Hatun. You know youngsters these days.''

''It's fine, Dundar Bey.'' Mihrimah said and then turned her attention to Hazal Hatun. ''And Hazal Hatun, unlike you, who is either stirring trouble or spreading rumors... I use my time to take care of my grandfather, Ertuğrul Bey, who by the way still is very much alive and the Bey of the tribe. We wouldn't want for him to punish you again? Would we now? And besides I'm only a mere guest in your husband's tent. That isn't the way for a host to treat guests, right?

Everybody, including Hazal were stunned by Mihrimah's boldness, but not Selcan, who hissed at her. ''Mihrimah!''

''What Selcan Ana? Hazal once told me to speak my mind, and I have taken her advice into consideration.''

''Alright, then let's eat...'' Selcan said satisfied at Mihrimah's reasoning and enjoying Hazal's angry expression. ''Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem.''

Dundar started with taking the bread and break in half and giving to the others along the table.

''Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem.''

If Mihrimah knew best then she started to fill her mouth with food more than usual and eat. The reason for this is someone always has something to announce, either bad or talk about subject, which weren't important in Mihrimah's mind. Thus everybody stopped to eat to join the conversation without any ending.

''Mihrimah.'' Lena said as Mihrimah's mouth was to full for her to answer. She chewed as much as she could and then had to swallow hard and then cleared her throat. ''Yes, yengye?''

''I know your don't like to talk about it, but have you at least let someone else look for a husband for you?''

''If she doesn't have time herself, her family could find someone suitable for her.'' Hazal interfered. ''If you are interested, I have someone in mind.''

''Of course, you have. Wicked woman.'' Mihrimah said under her breath, only to her a slight nudge from her uncle Osman.

''Eh? Who might that be, Hazal Hatun?'' Selcan asked sternly.

''Let see, Saltuk for example? He is not only a honorable man, but also an Alp of the tribe. And besides, he was raised by Dundar Bey as his own son.''

''Why? So I can be your supposed daughter-in-law that you can order around?'' Mihrimah shot back and everyone either almost choke in their food or water.

''And besides...'' she paused. ''He's not my type. And I see him more as a brother.''

''Hazal Hatun, don't waste your energy. If I don't find a husband for her, then she is perfectly capable to do so herself.'' Selcan defended. She turned to Mihrimah and winked.

''Speaking of marriage, I have something to share.'' Osman suddenly spoke up. Everyone went quiet, but it was obvious that Bala flinched.

Osman smiled and spoke. ''Targun Hatun.''

The Bey of Kuman Turks, whose daughter was being held captive, was saved by Osman and brought her back to the tribe.

Bala looked at her in horror. Targun sat down besides Aygul. ''I thought about it. A Kayi Bey can't go on without a child. Targun Hatun will be my wife. And she will give me the child I want.''

Even though Bala held her head high with teary eyes. ''Osman Bey made the necessary decision. I want him to have a child more than anyone. InshAllah, he will have sons soon. And no one will have any right to say anything.''

Hazal's smile widened from ear to ear. ''InshAllah!'' This only made Mihrimah and Aygul to glare at her.

Hazal then turned to Selcan. ''Selcan Hatun, what was it that you said this morning? Do you see how brides come to the Kayi tribe? Have you seen it now?''

Aygul and Mihrimah were just about to give Hazal a piece of their minds. ''Aygul. Mihrimah. My heart is on fire. Don't add anymore wood to it.''

''I too will come to Yavlak Arslan's meeting tomorrow. But first, Bala and I will go the prairies where we became stronger.'' Osman said and smiled to Bala, who also gave him a genuine smile back. ''We will be stronger.''

''As you wish, Osman'im.'' she smiled.

Osman managed to conquer Kulucahisar, while Yavlak Arslan along with the other Beys and Aya Nikola waited for him. When Osman returned to the tribe, everyone were praising him, of course expect for those, who weren't happy for it.

Selcan and Mihrimah heard of his return and met him in front of the Beys tent. Selcan took his hands in hers. ''My dark eyed Osman, who conquered Kulucahisar twice.''

''Alhamdulillah, emmi.'' Mihrimah said and Osman out his arm around her shoulder to hug her.

''Osman.'' Selcan called out to him. ''You do make me happy, but some things you do don't make me happy at all.'' She looked at Bala and Targun, who also were present.

''Yengye, you are their aunt. Make them sit next to you and advise them.''

Mihrimah frowned at his statement, but she knew of his scheme regarding Targun Hatun working with Nikola.

''You did what you wanted to do again, Osman. You put your tribe at risk. The position of your uncle and brothers do not concern you, right, Osman? Ha, Osman Bey?''

Osman just gave her a smile, but Mihrimah wouldn't have any of it. ''Hazal Hatun.''

''Do you have something to say Mihrimah?''

Mihrimah scoffed and walked in front of her, stunning everybody including Boran and Goktug, who arrived at the tent with Osman Bey. ''Oh, I have many things, I want to say to you. But I'll refrain myself, otherwise we would just make trouble for Ertuğrul Bey.''

''Just say whatever you want, Mihrimah. How could you possibly say anything to your elder.''

''It's not about being the younger and elder, Hazal Hatun. It is about knowing one's position. You've become the slave of your ego. You don't see beyond your pride. You better be respectful toward Osman Bey, you're just a hatun.''

Hazal was more than provoked and raised her hand to slap Mihrimah. Everyone's eyes widened at her action.

Mihrimah managed to get hold of Hazal's hand. ''Do anyhting to me Hazal Hatun, even your husband Dundar, won't be able to save you. And you'll answer in front of my grandfather Ertuğrul Bey, who for your information, is awake.''

Hazal jerked her hand away, turned around and left abruptly with Lena running after her. Mihrimah watched until she disappeared and turned around to see everyone looking at her flabbergasted.

''Emmi, you should go to see grandfather. He wants to see you.''

After Osman left, Selcan looked at her worried. ''Are you alright, Mihrimah'm.

Mihrimah looked at Selcan saddened.''I'm sorry you had to see that. Everyone of you. I was just getting a feeling of how to do my job, I suppose that grandfather have talked with you too. But I think that Hazal is the wrong guinea pig, she tends to annoy me a lot, before I even can do a proper job.''

Selcan nodded in understanding. ''Ah, the burden of legacy is a heavy one indeed. But fear not, my dear. Within you, you carry the strength of our past generations. Trust in yourself, and you will find your way. And besides, you also have your two grandfathers Ertuğrul Bey and Bamsi Bey, Serkan and me to help you. And I know that Hazal provokes everyone, but in the end you managed to calm down and solve the problem quietly.''

Mihrimah's heart swelled with gratitude for her Selcan's words.

''Thank you.'' Mihrimah said, softly. ''Your guidance means more to me than you know. That's why your my Selcan Sultan.''

''And it's good to have someone to set the likes of Hazal in place.'' Goktug encouraged playfully.

''He's right. Just continue with that and the tribe will have the peace they deserve.'' Boran played along.

''Mihrimah, dear.'' Bala spoke. ''Everyone trust you enough to leave not only the tribe in your hands, but also enough let you take care of their Bey. I'll support you in whatever you chose, but maybe you should speak with my father about it, so he can ease your doubts.''

Mihrimah rode to Sögüt her grandfathers horse, as she didn't have one of her own yet.

She stood at the threshold of Sheikh Edebali's humble dwelling, with heaviness placed on her shoulders. 

The sun was setting, it cast a warm glow over the town, but within her a storm raged. 

She took Bala's advice, and with the permission of her grandfather and had sought the counsel of Sheikh Edebali, a man known for his wisdom and insight, hoping that he could offer her guidance in her moment of need.

As she entered the modest abode, she was greeted the Sheikh's presence. He sat cross-legged on a threadbare rug, his eyes welcomed her with warmth.

''Selam Aleyküm, Sheikh'im.'' she put her right and on her chest and nodded courteously.

''Aleyküm Selam, Mihrimah. What brings you to me on this evening?'' he asked, while she sat in front of him.

''Sheikh'm, I come to you seeking guidance. I am faced with a choice that weighs heavily upon me, and I fear I do not have the wisdom to make it alone.''

The Sheikh studied her for a moment. ''Tell me, child, what troubles you? What decision must you make?''

Mihrimah took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts before speaking. ''As you know, I'm born to lines of Sultan's from both my paternal and maternal grandmothers... I don't know why, but my grandfather, Ertuğrul Bey, has been encouraging me to accept the title as Sultana. Personally, I do not care of such title, but if he of all people has mentioned it, then it must be important. He said that I could help with possible enemies or people of higher status than a Bey. It is an honor, but also a great responsibility. I do not know if I am worthy of it, or if I have the strength to bear the burdens it carries.''

The Sheikh nodded, he already knew of it, but wanted to see how Mihrimah felt about it first. ''To accept such responsibility is no small matter, my child. It requires courage, wisdom, and a deep sense of duty to one's people. But know this: the title does not define you. It is merely a reflection of the qualities you already possess within.''

Mihrimah listened intently to the Sheikh's words. Her heart had begun to ease with his guidance. ''But how can I be sure that I am making the right decision, Sheikh'im? How can I know if I am truly worthy of it?''

The Sheikh smiled gently. ''The answers you seek lie within your heart, Mihrimah. Listen to the whispers of your soul, and trust in the guidance of those who love and support you. Seek counsel from those who have walked a similar path before you, and draw strength from the lessons of history.''

Mihrimah nodded. Everything seemed dawn within her with clearity. ''And what of fear, Sheikh'im? It is not the same as wielding a sword. What if I am afraid to embrace it, afraid of the challenges that lie ahead?''

The Sheikh's smile widened. His presence was reassuring in the face of her doubts. ''Fear is a natural part of the human experience, my child. It is what we do in the face of that fear that defines us. Remember, courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to face it head-on, despite the odds. And one day, you'll find someone who understands yout burdens, and help you carry them.''

''Thank you, Sheikh'im.'' she said. ''Your wisdom has given me the clarity I sought, and the strength to face whatever lies ahead.''

''Go forth, Mihrimah, and embrace your destiny with courage and grace. Remember, you are never alone.''

The next day, while Osman and Mihrimah were away after telling Bala about that he never intended to marry Targun Hatun, Dundar Bey and Savci Bey had schemed to elect a new Bey. While tending to her son, Aygul overheard Dundar Bey and Hazal Hatun talking about it and how they would exile Selcan and Bala.

After an argument with her father Dundar Bey, she left his tent and found both Selcan and Bala.

Mihrimah arrived at the tribe from Sögüt, she saw Bala and Serkan standing in front of the Bey's tent looking worried.

After she gave the horse to an alp, she walked closer to the hatun and her aide. ''Yengye, are you alright? You look worried.''

''Mihrimah, while you were away, Dundar Bey and Savci Bey have started an election for the next Bey out of their own will. Osman is not back and Selcan and Bamsi Bey are inside the tent. Hazal Hatun and Lena Hatun are most likely in a separate room inside the tent.''

Instead of  lashing out and marching towards the tent, Mihrimah stayed level-headed. But then she smiled and hugged Bala, who was confused. ''Thank you, yengye. If you didn't advice me to seek guidance from Sheikh Edebali, I would never have done what I'm about to do now. Let's go, Serkan.''

Mihrimah took a very deep breath and walked towards the tent with a confused Serkan behind her.

The alps outside the door opened them and everyone was surprised to see her of all people.

''Selam Aleyküm, Beys. What is this I hear about an election of Beys without permission.''

Hazal's patience with Mihrimah was gone and she now stood in front of the young woman. ''Mihrimah, I have been very patient of your insults towards me. But now it's over. Who are you to stop a Beys meeting?! Do not say anything you might regret later.''

''All your games are done, are they not, Hazal Hatun? Your influence over Dundar Bey has come to and end. Neither yours or anyone's schemes will come past me, and I won't turn a blind eye to them.''

''You have no idea what your saying.'' Hazal hissed.

''I do give you credit for being a smart woman though.'' Mihrimah said and then motioned her head to Lena. ''You even poisoned Lena with your words. In a blink of an eye she started to act like you and follow you around everywhere. Hazal Hatun, I now more than you think.''

''Like what?''

''Like cruelly getting rid of Zohre Hatun in front of her daughter, who depended on her. Encouraging your husband to get more blinded by his greed of being Bey.''

''That is enough.'' Hazal growled.

''It is not. There's many more things, but it would take me a lifetime to tell.''

''Who do you think you are, Mihrimah?''

Mihrimah chuckled. ''I am not only the granddaughter of Ertuğrul Gazi Bey and Bamsi Bey.  I am Mihrimah Turhan Sultan, also the granddaughter Halime Sultan and Ayça Sultan.''

Selcan and Bamsi Bey beamed, as well as Ertuğrul, who was awake but didn't show himself in order to listen since the start of the ''Bey election''.

''What about you, Hazal? From which barrel did they scrape you from?''

''...''

''Go out, before I call for the alps to drag you out.'' Mihrimah gave her a glare, before Hazal stormed out of the tent.

She then turned to the beys, who were present including Savci Bey, Bamsi Bey, Dundar Bey and other beys. 

Her uncle Gunduz Bey, who was also present, stood beside Mihrimah and said. ''I believe this meeting is over. And as I said before, as long as my father Ertuğrul bey is alive, I'll take his side.''

''Now pray that Osman comes back. And don't try to play such tricks behind Osman's back again.'' Bamsi Bey said.

Ertuğrul, who listened to the conversation also nodded at Bamsi's words.

Everyone left aside from Bamsi Bey, Gunduz Beya and Selcan Hatun. Mihrimah suddenly took hold of her uncle's shoulder to support herself.

''Mihrimah, are you alright?!'' Gunduz exclaimed worried.

She nodded and answered. ''I'm fine I just need to sit down. I feel a little lightheaded...''

Gunduz and Serkan helped her to sit down, and at the same moment Ertuğrul and Abdurrahman Gazi came in the main area of the tent.

''Here's some water, Sultan'im.''

''Thank you, Serkan.''

''Mihrimah, my dear granddaughter.'' Ertuğrul said proudly, she was about to stand up out of respect, but he motioned her to sit down. ''I cannot begin to express how proud I am of you.''

Mihrimah's heart swelled at her grandfather's words. She had always looked up to Ertuğrul Bey and admired his strength and leadership, and to hear him express his pride in her meant more to her than words could say.

''Thank you, Grandfather.'' Mihrimah said. ''Your support means everything to me. I will do my best to honor both of my grandmother's legacies.''

Ertuğrul smiled. ''I have no doubt that you will, my dear.'' 

''I accepted it, not out of pride or vanity, but out of a sense of duty and love for our tribe. I will do everything in my power to support our people with courage, just as you all have taught me.''

Gunduz Bey's chest swelled with pride as he stepped sat down to embrace his niece. ''You have made us all proud, Mihrimah. I have no doubt that you will support us.''

Selcan Hatun stepped forward next with tears of joy. ''I know that you will carry the responsibilities with honor and dignity, just as your mother did before you.''

Bamsi Bey nodded approvingly, his weathered face broke into a proud smile. ''You have made the right decision, my dear. Your ancestors look down upon you with pride, knowing that you will carry on their legacy with courage and determination.''

Serkan stepped forward last. ''I will stand by your side, Sultan'im, through every challenge and triumph that lies ahead.''

Many things had happened, among other things Bala was poisoned. Targun Hatun, who became jealous of Osman and Bala's relationship, poisoned Bala. In the end, she was found out and while trying to escape, she was killed in an ambush led by Osman and Bala and killed her.

But the most notable event, was that Ertuğrul Gazi died. The whole tribe was mourning. The Kayi tribe stood as one, and their hearts heavy with grief as they gathered to mourn the passing of their esteemed leader, Ertugrul Bey. Ertugrul Bey had been a beacon of hope and inspiration to them all, and his loss was felt deeply by each and every member of the tribe.

Now it was time for the tribe to have a new bey.

But someone who wasn't a man, was to attend too. Ertuğrul had told Mihrimah to attend and to responsible for election before he died. Her grandfather, Bamsi Bey and Abdurrahman Gazi would be by her side and support her.

Every Bey was gathered at the main area of the Bey's tent, the only ones, who were missing, was Mihrimah, Bamsi Bey and Abdurrahman Gazi.

The two beys waited for Mihrimah to walk in, but she was lost in thought, until she felt a hand on her shoulder.

When she turned to the person, it was her grandfather Bamsi, who looked at her proudly. It helped her not only to gather some confidence, but also remember that she isn't alone in this.

They entered the tent and everyone stood up, greeting them. The three sat down in front of the Bey's seat, with Mihrimah in the middle. ''Please, sit down.'' Mihrimah allowed and those who were standing sat down.

Before she addressed the Beys, she looked at both Bamsi Bey and and Abdurrahman Gazi, who both gave her a reassuring smile.

''Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem. With Holy Allah's 99 names, who says 'Be', and it is, fills our heart with faith.''

She then raised her hands to pray. ''Al-Fatihah, for the soul of the deceased Ertuğrul Gazi.''

Everyone else did the same and prayed.

''Kayi Beys, welcome to each and one of you. You brought joy.''

''EyvAllah.'' they responded with their hand on their chest.

''It is normally Kayi oldest Bey, who has the duty to manage this meeting. But our deceased Ertuğrul Gazi, wished before his death, to let his granddaughter Mihrimah Turhan Sultan to do so. And I comply with that wish.'' Bamsi Bey informed, and motioned to Mihrimah, that it was her turn to speak.

''Beys, our deceased Ertuğrul Gazi's three sons and his brother are candidates for the Beylic. May Cenab- ı Hak bless the decision we will make and may He it be blessed.''

''Amin.''

''Amin.''

''Amin.''

''Kayi Beys, I hope that you won't forget that you will elect someone in place of him. But, I still want to remind you. The deceased Ertuğrul Gazi, didn't rule us like a Bey of a tribe. Ertuğrul Gazi ruled us like a Sultan. ''He never said. 'I have no soldiers.'  He never said. 'I will handle this with a bunch of veterans.'. He said. 'I am ruling the most noble tribe of Oguz' generation, the Kayi's.'. That's how he worked.''

Mihrimah looked over the beys, who were reminiscing about their deceased leader.

''The Kayi flag can't be lowered from the place, where Ertuğrul Bey rose. A Bey, who doesn't trust himself and his tribe, who is scared of freedom, who obey Romans or Mongols, can't rule this tribe. At the end of her speech, she specifically looked on Dundar bey and Savci Bey.

''It must be known, and you must decide considering this.''

First, she looked on Dundar Bey. ''Dundar Bey, you will be the first one to speak.''

Dundar nodded and spoke. ''My niece is right. My three nephews and I, are candidates for the Beylik. I want to renounce my rights and support one of these three brothers. But, I can't decide, who I am going to choose. I don't want to upset the other two and will do the best thing that there is to do and protect my rights. Therefore, I vote for myself.''

''EyvAllah, Dundar Bey.'' Mihrimah accepted. ''Sudamis Bey, it is your turn.''

''I see the future of Kayi's in our Osman Bey. The son of our deceased Ertuğrul Gazi. My candidate is Osman Bey.''

''EyvAllah.'' Mihrimah nodded. ''Sinan Bey, it is your turn.''

''EyvAllah, I vote for Dundar Bey, as I think that he will act wisely.''

Mihrimah nodded and turned to her uncle. ''Gunduz Bey. It is your turn.''

''I won't do the same thing as my uncle. I will not care about other's feelings. It's obvious, who the Kayi's future depends on. The Kayi Bey is the one who conquered Kulucahisar twice, the one who saved Sögüt, the one who saved my brother and my uncle from Nikola. I, Gunduz Bey, am renouncing my rights. I vote for my brother, Osman, who deserves to be the Kayi Bey.''

''Gunduz Bey, EyvAllah.'' Mihrimah smiled at her uncle and turned her attention to the next Bey. ''Cafer Bey. Tell me, who do you vote for.''

''I vote for Dundar Bey.''

''EyvAllah.'' Mihrimah nodded. ''Osman Bey. Now, it is your turn.''

''My words will fly above Inegol and Yarhisar just like it flies over Kulucahisar. My intentions are obvious. I will conquer the border lands and make it Kayi's property. My vote is obvious.''

''EyvAllah, Osman Bey.'' Mihrimah said. ''Now, Dundar Bey has three votes and Osman Bey has three votes. Sevindik Bey, who do you vote for?''

''I vote for Dundar Bey.''

''EyvAllah. Davut Bey, tell me. It's your turn.''

''My vote is obviously with Osman Bey. I vote for Osman Bey, to let him to the things that he wants to do.''

''EyvAllah, Davut Bey.'' Mihrimah said. ''Idris Bey, tell me.''

''I vote for the one who I think is wise and experienced, Dundar Bey. I want him to be the Kayi Bey.''

''EyvAllah, Idris Bey.'' Mihrimah said. ''Kayi Beys, Dundar Bey has five votes, while Osman Bey has four votes. As two votes are left, it is not possible for Gunduz Bey and Savci Bey to be elected. Bamsi Bey, who do you vote for?''

Bamsi Bey chuckeled. ''I vote, undoubtedly, for Osman Bey..

''EyvAllah, now Dundar Bey and Osman Bey are tied. Savci bey, the last word is yours. Your words, will determine, who is going to be elected as the Bey of Kayi Tribe.''

Savci Bey looked from Mihrimah to Dundar, who smiled slyly, to Osman was looking at him with a serious expression. ''By looking at my brother. My brother, who thinks nothing of my position. My brother, who seized me by the collar and shook me. My brother, who hit me, yelled at me and who told me to stay away from his path. Now.. How can I vote for him?''

Savci paused for a second and then looked at Dundar. ''My uncle, is the only one, who supported me in this cause and told me, that he was supporting me and that I was worthy to become the Bey. Now, how can I ever elect anyone else, when he is here? How can I be content with anyone else becoming the Kayi Bey? I cannot trick anyone, while looking straight into their eyes. But, my uncle can.''

Dundar lost the smile on his face and Savci continued to speak. ''And now, he is looking straight into my eyes, and he is lying to me. He is trying to trick me. Look at him trying to stab me in the back!''

''My nephew, there must be some misunderstanding. I would never-'' Dundar tried to save his skin, but Savci cut him off.

''So, you want to become the Bey!? You want to become the Bey, uncle! You talked to certain people and made them support you.''

''Savci!'' Dundar was angry. ''How dare you!''

''Dundar Bey!'' Bamsi yelled, but Dundar didn't listen. ''How dare you!''

''Dundar Bey! Savci Bey! This is the Bey election! Keep your calm!'' Dundar obeyed and sat down. ''Savci Bey, sit down.''

''Savci Bey.'' Mihrimah called out to her uncle. ''Please tell us. Who do you vote for.''

Savci was quiet for a few minutes. ''Everyone shall listen to me. The dagger on my throat is better than the dagger in my back. Those who stands against me are better than those, who sneak up behind me. The future of the Kayi, shall be destroyed by the dreams of a dreamer. If the future of the Kayi is better than being handled over to a shameful liar.''

''I will-'' Dundar was about to get up and stand up to Savci but was taken hold of by Abdurrahman Gazi.

Mihrimah, who already knew of his schemes, warned. ''Dundar Bey. If you can't behave, then you'll be thrown out of the tent.''

With that Dundar stopped, but was still angry.

''I, Savci Bey, vote for my brother, Osman.'' he exclaimed. ''From now on, we may fight the Mongols, or the Romans, or perhaps we'll fight both sides. That decision is up to Osman. We may die. But, we will not lose our honor.''

Mihrimah was surprised by Savci's last statement, and cleared her to get the attention over to her. ''From now on, with the vote of the Kayi Beys, Osman Bey, son of Ertuğrul, grandson of Suleyman Shah, is the new Bey of the Kayi Tribe. May Allah grant him victory.''

''Amin.''

''Amin.''

''Amin.''

With that Dundar bey stood abruptly up and was about to leave the ten, but was stopped by Mihrimah, who also stood up and everyone else did too.''Wait, Dundar bey.''

He stopped up.

''I can see on my emmi, that even he didn't want to be chosen a Bey under circumstances like these.

Dundar's eyes widened at her statement. ''You put your hand on your heart, but deceive. An election like this isn't acceptable. This doesn't make anyone a real Kayi of the tribe. What are we supposed to tell our people, our children of how the Kayi Bey was elected?''

One must have known it was timed, as Serkan called out from the entrance.''

''Destur var mi?''

''Gelesin.'' Mihrimah spoke.

As Serkan entered the tent and then showed the pouches with gold, Mihrimah started to explain. ''I already knew that you had bought off people, so I had Serkan looked through the tents, were they were staying at. As you can see, he found pouches with gold, given by you. And you, even promised my emmi, Savci Bey the Beylik, but fooled him.''

Dundar clenched his fist and looked down, while Mihrimah turned to the new Kayi Bey.

''I'll make sure that they get the proper punishment. Osman Bey, the word is now yours.''

He nodded and out his hand and his chest. ''I, son of Ertuğrul, Gazi, Osman Bey, for the state that I will found, for the cities I will conquer, for the great civilization that I dream of... You must elect me for being worthy.''

Osman turned to Bamsi Bey and Mihrimah. ''Bamsi Bey. Mihrimah. We will have another vote.''

Mihrimah and Bamsi looked at each other and nodded. Then Bamsi Bey walked in front of Osman Bey and patted his shoulder. ''EyvAllah, my brave boy.''

Bamsi turned to the Beys. ''Beys. Let's return to our seats.''

And everyone complied.

Bamsi Bey took over Mihrimah, as she was mentally tired. She thought that the election was finally over, but was wrong. ''So, when the situation is like this, those who vote for Osman Bey, raise your hands.''

And they complied, but then the rest started to have doubts and chose to vote for Osman Bey, and revoke of their votes for Dundar Bey.

''Now, I will accept it.'' Osman recognized his new position.

Dundar, once again was about to storm out, but...

''Dundar Bey.''  Mihrimah, who also stood up said, and everyone else stood up too. ''I might have said that I was to punish those who tarnished their honor and took gold, but I never said what was going to happen to you.''

She looked him. ''You were tasked to watch over Sögüt, which was attacked twice. The first time, you used the weak to protect it. And the second time, you left the people to fend for themselves instead of protecting them.''

''Yes, I was.'' Dundar hissed.

''But not anymore.'' Mihrimah spoke. ''You have been removed from your duty.''

''I agree.'' Osman intervened. ''You don't have the honor to do so. Therefore as Kayi Bey, I ask of you Mihrimah...''

Mihrimah stiffened and looked confused at her uncle, who smiled proudly at her. ''I want you to watch over Sögüt. As we look to the future of the Kayi tribe, it is clear that we must take steps to ensure the safety and security of our lands. And I don't see anyone more worthy than you.''

Mihrimah was speechless at first, until her grandfather Bamsi Bey patted her shoulder and nodded to her. ''I am honored. I will do everything in my power to protect Sögüt and ensure the safety and prosperity of the people.''

Savci Bey stepped forward. ''You have our full support, Mihrimah'' he said. Gunduz Bey and Bamsi Bey nodded at Savci Bey's statement.

''Sogut will remain strong under your watchful eye, niece.'' Gunduz said.

Word count: 6902

*Sage - An aromatic herb that can bring down a high fever.

* Divan - a court of justice in the Ottoman Empire or elsewhere in the Middle East.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24K 1.5K 66
A Kurulus Osman fanfic ~UNDER EDITING~ "Dundar, Kardeşim, will you take Ceyda with you to our brother's tribe? I want my daughter to grow up happy an...
9.7K 390 31
Book 2 of *Dream Big*/ Power De'Lani- De'Luca daughter of Artemis- Haulani- De'Luca - Mickelson & Ophelia- Mickelson, Granddaughter of Dream- De'L...
42K 1.9K 25
"I was always overshadowed by the success of my sisters who were favouritised by the whole family, especially by my mother. Whatever I made was never...
14.2K 497 24
Previously known as " Sultan " " Amna Tuzlic, the daughter of a famous family in Bosnia. She was only 13 when she got kidnapped and forced to be a sl...