Fake It ('Til you make it)

By Mystic_Raven20

In the glitz and glamour of Hollywood, Adrien Agreste, the up and coming movie star, finds himself in a stick... More

Adrinette April 2024
Dating Sim (Marinette)
Truth or Dare? (Marinette)
Boyfriend/Girlfriend (Adrien)
Made For Each Other (Marinette)
Reverse Crush (Adrien)
Passing Notes (Marinette)
Confession (Adrien)
Identity Reveal (Marinette)
Villains (Adrien)
Virtual Reality (Marinette)
Starlight (Adrien)
Flirting (Marinette)
In the Rain (Adrien)
Safe (Marinette)
Family Found (Marinette)
Soulmate Markers (Adrien)
(Un)Lucky Charms (Marinette)
Shared Dreams (Adrien)
Future Plans (Adrien)
Sharing a Bed (Marinette)
Fantasy au (Adrien)
Taking it Slow (Adrien)
First Kiss (Marinette)
London (Adrien)
(Not) London (Marinette)
What If? (Marinette)
Love Notes (Marinette)
Red String (Adrien)
Wedding Dress (Marinette)
Epilogue - Hugo, Louis and Emma (Adrien)

Best Friends (Adrien)

462 31 16
By Mystic_Raven20

Adrien smiled and placed his phone down on the desk beside him. Slowly, he turned back to the script and continued to read. He was down to the last callbacks for the up and coming movie 'Without Hope', and boy what a role it would be if he got it. Not only would it put him into serious acting roles away from the love interest in cheesy rom coms, it would also project him into the Oscar-worthy performance category and finally lose that label of 'a model who can act half decently'.

He'd had a couple of weeks off, so had taken the opportunity (as always) to visit Paris, mostly to check in with his most favourite person, Marinette.

Adrien picked up his phone again. No reply, which meant she had almost certainly updated the app and would now be looking at different ways to torture him within the game. Her favourite pastime, whether she liked to admit it or not.

Moving away from Marinette's name, he started to scroll through his phone, thinking if there was anyone else he needed to check in with whilst he was in the city. Nino was away at university and wouldn't be back until next week (when he was back in London) and he'd managed to catch up with the other guys at Luka's a couple of nights ago. Everyone else in his contact list wasn't a priority, especially since the news about his father had broken a couple of months ago. News which had almost cost him his career.

His friends knew the truth, though, and he was growing increasingly grateful for such a tightly knit group. Their shared items of jewellery also made it all beautifully unique.

"Knock, knock!" The door to his study opened, his PA walking in with a smoothie and what looked like some kind of protein bar. God, he hoped he wasn't going to make him eat it.

"Hey," Adrien said, rubbing his hands over his eyes. Éliott came to sit beside him in Adrien's reading chair, the smoothie and protein bar placed in a reachable distance of both of them.

"So, are you ready for the audition? I truly believe you're a sure thing for it now. Who else are they going to get for the role? Tom Holland?"

Adrien laughed. If only that was the case. "I'm ready for the audition, but I haven't got my hopes up. There's a lot I can't escape. Plus, these guys are more serious actors, including Tom Holland. I'm just the pretty guy in rom coms, or the muscle in action movies."

"Talking of which," Éliott started, "are you doing your workout today or not?"

Placing his hands on the table, Adrien stood up and cracked his back. He'd been sitting still for a while and it was playing havoc with his muscles. "Not. I'm off to meet Marinette."

Éliott snorted. "Of course, you are."

The snort hadn't gone unnoticed. Éliott liked to make it perfectly clear what he thought about Adrien's relationship with Marinette.

"She needs a dress for her date tonight." Adrien walked over to where his sweatshirt and baseball cap hung on his coat rack.

"You're going out tonight then?" Éliott relaxed back, crossing one leg over the other and bringing the smoothie to his lips – thank the Kwamis it was for himself. The way he placed the straw between his lips was nothing more than an attempt to tease. It was just a shame the teasing did nothing for Adrien.

Éliott had been his PA for three years, and in that time he'd changed from just a PA to a close personal friend. He was charismatic and didn't give a damn about Adrien's celebrity status – something he appreciated more than anyone could know.

Even through all the crap pulled from the depths of the past, Éliott had remained by his side, supporting him and encouraging him – and teasing him over Marinette.

But Adrien wouldn't give him the pleasure of an answer. After all, as soon as Marinette entered a conversation it was almost impossible to get her back out — mainly because she was one of his most favourite topics and Éliott was fond of her too.

"Oh, I get it," Éliott remarked, an evident smirk in his voice. "You don't want to talk about it. To be fair, I wouldn't want to talk with anyone who mentioned Chris Hemsworth going on a date."

"We're just friends. You know that!"

"Is that why you broke up with Evie last week? Come on, Adrien, anyone with sense can see you just happen to be single again just before we come to Paris."

Adrien sighed. This conversation...again! "You know the relationships are publicity stunts and for promotion. It's not like I plan to be single when I'm back in Paris, it just seems to happen."

Once again, Adrien had to hold the eye roll back. His PA was borderline obsessed with the girl.

Think of it as the extreme of Adrien in his main Ladybug stage. If Éliott could bring Marinette into the conversation, then he most certainly would.

"Marinette can date whoever she wants. It's her life." Adrien slipped the hoodie over his head, pushing his arms through aggressively before picking up and slamming the baseball cap over his short blond hair.

In all honesty, though, he knew he was talking out of his ass. Not that Éliott knew about his alter ego, but since the reveal he couldn't help but try and push down any non-platonic feelings. He didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable, and the only way to do it was to try and get her out of his mind – definitely something easier said than done.

"I never said she couldn't. I just know it would be good for the both of you to finally let out this high voltage sexual tension between you. I mean, seriously, even I get zapped when you two are in close proximity."

Whether there was or there wasn't, he was only privy to his part. Marinette never showed she was interested in him and he wasn't going to make her uncomfortable. Not when she was the single, greatest person he knew.

Until recently, they'd never spoken about their romantic lives, keeping any dates hidden behind conversations about the weather and movies they'd watched. But since Marinette had started her search on Sparkr, suddenly they were discussing dates and outfits. It just didn't feel right.

Adrien sighed. They had been growing so close, but that was long gone... It had disappeared with their masks. They were now the best of friends and Marinette was his most favourite person in the world. He would do anything for her and he knew she'd do anything for him.

His heart flickered as he thought about her out with another man. Would they laugh together like Adrien did with her? Would she give him a cutesy nickname too?

"When do we leave for London?" Adrien said, changing the subject and causing Éliott to huff.

His assistant stood from the chair and walked over to Adrien, straightening the collar on his jacket and brushing some stray lint from the sleeve. "We need to leave for the airport at four and will be back in London at eight. Are you sure you don't want me to book you a car?"

Shaking his head, Adrien began to move out of the room and towards the winding staircase, Éliott following behind him.

"I've already arranged everything with Felix," Adrien said.

"Sure. Then Lana has arranged for you to meet with Elise at The Ivy for drinks at ten. Hopefully there won't be any delays and you'll get there on time. You don't want the world's most beautiful woman waiting for you."

Unfortunately, Éliott wasn't lying. Elise Francis was the world's number one model and internationally labelled 'most beautiful woman in the world'. Where Adrien couldn't deny she was gorgeous, he was getting fed up with all these publicised dates. He was becoming known for being a womaniser, something that he most certainly was not.

Lana Bourgeois (not related to Chloé — might he add), his agent, worked overtime on him to recreate this acting image and move him away from the label of 'just a pretty face', and to be fair, she was doing an amazing job (just like the amazing wage he'd been paying her). But with this new image came new consequences, so he was quite sure this date with Elise would not be as straightforward as he'd been told.

"I'm sure Elise will get over it."

Éliott smirked. "Who said I was on about Elise?" The wiggle of his eyebrows once again caused Adrien to sigh.

Making his way to the front door, he bellowed over his shoulder at the other person in the house. "I'll see you later, Nathalie!"

The muffled sounds of goodbye came from the kitchen, Adrien hopping out of the house and down the steps, ignoring Éliott's comments as he headed in the direction of the university.

Adrien loved being back in Paris. His life was now centred in London, but he missed his home painfully. London smelled different, sounded different, and the people were different. He had acquaintances, sure! Plus Félix and Kagami. But since the acting had really taken off, he was travelling Stateside a lot more — just a byline of the job.

So when he was in Paris, he made sure he treasured the time, and made the most of meeting up with Marinette. Yes, their contact had remained extremely frequent, as had their visits to each other (thank you, super powers), but nothing beat being home with her. Both of them being in their world — together — without having to hide behind their masks.

Strolling leisurely, he soaked up the spring sunshine, this time of year unusually mild and bright, just like his spirit as he moved towards Marinette's university.

He pulled his hat lower, shielding his tell-tale green eyes from the crowds and allowing him to blend in with the thickening crowds. He'd put on a Paris hoodie, one which made him look like a tourist, not a local, and in his baggy blue jeans his frame was pretty much covered – the anonymity more than welcoming.

Suddenly his phone had taken on a life of its own, and he slowed his walk so he could grab the device from his pocket.

Received Message from: Nino
Ade! When are you going back to London, dude? I've only seen you once!

Received Message from: Luka
At least you've seen him! He ditched our meet-up for she who must not be named!

Adrien laughed. Within 'Paris' Finest (Super) Idiots' group there was only one firm rule: you did not talk about your better halves. Although Adrien and Marinette were not an official couple, as their group were now all privy to each other's 'alter egos', they were seen as an unofficial couple. After all, Ladybug and Chat Noir came as a pair.

Received Message from: Nino
What does she have that I don't?

Received Message from: Kim
A pretty face and a fantastic set of puns!

Received Message from: Luka
And we all know about Adrien and his puns!

Received Message from: Kim
*Pins! I meant pins!

Received Message from: Kim
I'm just admiring, man! I'm not after your woman!

Received Message from: Max
Yet!

Received Message from: Luka
She's not anyone's woman

Received Message from: Nino
Anyone else think Buttercup is starting to sound a little threatening? It's all those action roles!

Received Message from: Félix
Go for a LBD cus, gotta show off those legs of yours!

Received Message from: Félix
Seriously though, why dress shopping?

Received Message from: Félix
Oh, okay! So, where are you taking her?

Received Message from: NinoReplying to: Adrien
My eyes burn! You mentioned a woman's name!

Received Message from: Nino
Super idiots, Agreste! We're super idiots!

(Yes, Félix had progressed into the group too — a shock to everyone involved, including Félix himself. Adrien swears it had nothing to do with Kagami threatening to 'whip his ass' if he didn't. They started the intervention of Kagami watching American action/comedies following that statement.)

Closing the app, Adrien pocketed his phone and chuckled. His friendship group had remained the same and he was ever thankful for it. They made up for the lack of love from his absentee father, and were one constant in his life.

He finally reached the courtyard of Marinette's university building and his eyes found her instantly — like a moth to a flame. There she was, sitting on a bench, phone in hands and the cutest expression on her face. She was deep into whatever she was doing. Her cheeks were slightly flustered and her tongue poked a little out to the side, just like when she was creating at her sewing machine.

Taking a detour around the side of the building, Adrien changed direction to come towards her from behind. As elegant as a cat, he headed towards the back of the bench.

Tikki's face appeared from Marinette's bag, her eyes widening and her head shaking. Ever the little defender, but not this time.

He continued forward, ignoring Tikki's warning and peering over Marinette's shoulder...just as she selected the upgrade option to 'make out' with Adrien Agreste in the back of a limo. Marinette squealed a little, as her avatar announced she was falling in love with sim Adrien and sim Adrien responding in likeness.

"Finally, Tikki! I've finally got a —"

The sound of fluttering over his head had both him and Marinette looking up. A small army of birds flying unusually low and depositing quite the amount of feathers as their wings flapped hard in flight. Feathers drifted slowly down towards him and landed on his nose.

His almighty sneeze alerted his presence to his partner. She turned around and spotted him, launching her phone in the air at a ridiculous speed. They both watched as the phone spiralled its way back down, its face crashing into the cobbled path with a sickening crunch.

Adrien stepped around and picked it up, Marinette still standing in shock as she looked between her phone and Adrien, her cheeks glowing in pink hues.

He twisted it around in his hands, noticing how her phone screen suddenly had a design more intricate than a snowflake. Cracks travelled up and down in many different weird and wonderful directions, making their faces look like the veiny remains of themselves from another world.

Shyly, Adrien held it out to Marinette and gave her his best 'I'm adorable, please don't kill me' smile.

"I think it's time for that upgrade you've been talking about."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

819K 26.7K 26
❝Even if there was no gravity left on earth I'd still fall for you.❞ Sometimes, failing at things can lead to something beautiful; just like when M...
13.7K 796 24
Adrien Agreste has always considered Marinette Dupain-Cheng entertaining. Whether it was the endless back and forth of their banter, the clumsiness h...
255K 9.6K 23
Marinette Dupain-Cheng, also the masked heroine of Paris, has been crushing on Adrien Agreste since he first transferred to their school. The mean gi...
31.9K 812 10
This is a Miraculous AU, where LadyBug and ChatNoir don't exist as superheroes, but gamer-tags in an online chat room. Marinette acts as a mix of bot...