Only chaos remains

Od Cassi0_Peia

MC kept her promise, she didn't go to Duskwood. Nevertheless, the young woman got closer to the town to reach... Více

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 3

45 5 7
Od Cassi0_Peia

I woke up early the next day. Jessy's apartment was quiet, she was still sleeping. I remained in bed for a while, I could hear birds singing outside. It reminded me of my childhood. Back then when I used to live with my parents, in the countryside, I always heard birds singing when I woke up and it eased me. Now that I lived in a big city, this peaceful sound was usually replaced by traffic and horns. So, laying in Jessy's guest room I enjoyed this little cocoon protecting me from reality. Soon, I extended my arm to grab my phone on the nightstand. I passed my thumb over the screen to check if I had any new notification - a new reflex I got since Thomas sent me his first message. And there it was, a notification indicating I had received a text. I sat in the bed holding my breath.

Alan: Good morning MC. I am sorry to contact you early in the morning. In order to complete Miss Donfort's case, I need to gather some information. As you were closely involved during the investigation, your testimony has to be included in the files. We can meet at the Duskwood's police station tomorrow morning at 9am. Please let me know if you're available so if you're not we can schedule another appointment quickly.

The message was pretty formal which surprised me. I quickly typed an answer to confirm the appointment. There was no use avoiding Alan, especially now that he knew I was in Duskwood. I sighed. What did I think? That Jake would have texted me that easily? Once again I opened my chat with Jake, once again my heart broke when I saw I didn't have any new messages. I sat on the edge of the bed and took my head in my hands, my elbows resting on my thigh. I rubbed my eyes and breathed. Less than 48 hours ago Jake and I were talking about our relationship. That we could make it work. And now I didn't even know if he was still alive. I bit my lips and swallowed back my tears. A taste of blood invaded my mouth. I brushed my lips with my thumb and saw a red spot on my finger. Shit!

I stood up and went to the bathroom. I opened the tap and let the cold water fill my hands and washed my face with it. I walked to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for Jessy and I when I saw my redhead friend coming in the room. Her face was still pale and it seemed like she hadn't slept. Her eyes were teary and she had a grim look on her face. I immediately knew that something was wrong. "What's going on?" I asked while going to her.

She looked at me and quietly snorted, "Paul's just called me, Richy's father," she slowly came to her couch and sat on it hugging her knees, "Richy's funeral is in two days. Paul asked me to warn the others." Jessy buried her face in her knee and her shoulder started shaking. Slowly at first, and then more intensely as she sobbed uncontrollably. "I-I don't know if I wa-want to go, " she cried, "It feels so re-real."

I sat next to her and put a hand on her arm. "It's okay Jessy, take your time. Do you want me to warn the others?," I said with a soft voice. Jessy nodded and I got up. "I'm going to make you a big cup of coffee first." I went to the kitchen trying to ignore the lump in my throat. While I waited next to the coffee maker, I sent a message in the group chat.

MC: Hey guys?

MC:I have news

MC: Paul called Jessy. The funeral is in two days.

My eyes were burning. I closed them and shook my head. Despite everything he's done, I cared for Richy. Jessy was right. Now that we knew when his funeral was, everything felt so real. The scent of coffee started to fill my nose. I grabbed two mugs and poured the black beverage for Jessy and I. The red-haired woman took the mug without looking at me. I came back to the kitchen and sat on a stool resting my elbows on the counter. I took a sip of my coffee when my phone buzzed.

Lilly: Hey MC. Thank you, I'll warn Thomas. We're going to the hospital today.

Cleo: Thank you for warning us MC

I was about to answer when Lilly texted me in our private chat.

Lilly: MC? Can I talk to you for a moment?

MC: Yes, of course.

Lilly: You're in Duskwood right? Cleo told us. I was wondering... can we meet?

MC: It would be great 🙂

Lilly: Tomorrow morning? I'm going to see Hannah in the afternoon.

MC: Alan asked me to come to the police station tomorrow morning. But we can meet after my appointment with Alan.

Lilly: Alan? Why?

MC: He wants to have my testimony.

Lilly: oh... I see.

MC: How's Hannah?

Lilly: She's still shocked but the doctors take good care of her. Doctor Barrett comes once a day to talk with her.

MC: Good. And you? How are you?

Lilly: Oh you know, I try to deal with all of this.

Lilly: MC?

MC: Yes?

Lilly: Did you have news?

MC: I'm sorry Lilly 😕

Lilly: Ok. See you tomorrow, then.

I sighed. I knew exactly who she was talking about. I could only imagine how hard it would be for her too. She had her sister back, and now her brother was missing. My phone buzzed again in my hand. Dan.

Dan: How is Jessy?

I looked up at my friend still sitting on the couch. She stared at her coffee with a blank face, without seeing it.

MC: Not well. She doesn't talk much. But Phil and her are going to see their sister today. So, I hope it'll make her feel a little better.

Dan: Hmm.. I don't know. They've never been pretty close. It means you'll be alone today?

MC: I guess so.

Dan: You wanna come by? You promised me a horror movie night 😏 And I don't like you being alone after everything that's happened.

I smiled. We had a wrong start. But now we were closer, Dan was a very caring man. I heard the doorbell and Jessy got out of her slumber, "It's Phil. I'm gonna get my bag." She said. I replied quickly to Dan before I got up.

MC: Sure. Phil' s here. See you tonight.

I went to the door and opened it. The tall black-haired man stood behind it. Phil had thrown his black leather jacket over his shoulders and slid a cigarette between his lips. When he saw me, a mischievous smirk appeared on his face. "MC! What a nice greeting!"

I rolled my eyes and stepped aside to let him come in. "Good morning Phil. Jessy went to get her bag. She'll be right back."

"I'm not in a hurry," he replied. He closed the door behind him and turned toward me. He looked at me with concern and raised a hand, resting it on my cheek, "How are you feeling gorgeous? Better than yesterday?" The heat of his hand made me blush. I closed my eyes. His hand was big and his skin was soft as he stroked my cheek with his thumb. Feeling a little comfort eased me, but it wasn't right, though. The thought this hand was Jake's and not Phil's crossed my mind, and I shivered. I opened my eyes and took Phil's hand. I saw his lips curled up and some hope in his eyes. But when I let his hand fall along his body, he understood that I was gently pushing him away. The man sighed, "I get it, I'm not your type."

"That's not it," I replied clumsily. And I was telling the truth. Phil was pretty handsome, and charming. I liked the man. But he wasn't Jake. And the man I wanted was Jake not Phil.

"There is someone else, right?" he asked. I averted my eyes and nodded. Phil sighed heavily. "Okay. That's the game." He leaned over me and planted a kiss on my left cheek.

Jessy came back to the living room with her bag in her hands. "I'm ready," she walked to me and gave me a hug, "Are you going to be alright?"

"Yes, don't worry. Dan invited me tonight," I smiled trying to reassure her, "Have a nice family day."

Jessy squeezed my hand and Phil gave me one last look before the two siblings left me alone in the quiet apartment.

-

I grabbed my now cold coffee and sat on the couch. I picked up my phone searching for information about the IronSplitter mine. I opened several websites about it. Some about what happened two days ago, some about what used to be the mine and some about ghost stories related to the place. Finally I found something interesting. The different entrance of the mine. There was one next to the Grimrock waterfalls, but it wasn't the one Richy used. I got my purse and my car keys and left.

The drive was short. Ten minutes later I parked my car in the woods down the path which led to Grimrock. I walked as fast as I could. The trees were so high and dense that the sunshine didn't go through it. Soon, I arrived in an open area where the light was blinding. I opened my mouth slightly, stunned by what I saw. It was a real chaos. I could only see burned trees and ashes covering the ground all over the place. Even animals had fled the place. There was no sign of life. A yellow banner crossed the landscape. As I approached, the thick smell of smoke hit my nostrils. I winced and put my hand above my nose to protect it. Focusing, I noticed a sound. The waterfall. I tried to figure out where the sound came from by scanning carefully my surroundings.

I grabbed the yellow banner and bent under it. I started to walk through the ashes looking for the source of the noise. The more I walked the louder the sound was. After a turn I saw it, the waterfall. Carefully I took a step on the damp path that passed by the water. It was slippery and pretty dangerous but I focused on my goal, the entrance of the mine on the other side of the stony path. I thought about Jake and how mad he would be seeing me acting recklessly. But I was sick of doing nothing, only looking at the events through my phone screen. This time, I had to do something.

I finally reached the other side of the path and took my phone to light my way. I entered the dark alleys of the mine. It was creepy, I couldn't see a meter ahead of me. Suddenly the wind rose and I heard its growl echoing against the walls. Jake was right, it sounded like the desperate moans of the people who died in here. I gulped, and kept on walking. I started to cough. The smoke was still thick and it got worse with every step. I covered my mouth and nose with the collar of my shirt but soon, my eyes started to sting and it was hard to breathe. I tried to go further into the mine but I couldn't. I bent over, resting my hands on my knees and coughed again and again. Each breath was harder to take than the previous. I reluctantly walked back, helping myself with the walls. When I got out of the mine I fell on my knees, my lungs demanding more and more fresh air. It was no use, I couldn't look for Jake in here. Wiping the tears from my eyes I slowly returned to my car and drove back to Duskwood.

I parked in front of Jessy's building and the sun had already started to set. Dan lived next to Jessy's so I decided to go there on foot. As I walked, I saw people peeking weirdly at me. I ignored them and walked faster. When I arrived at Dan's house I knocked softly on the door. The man opened the door and looked at me with wide eyes "What the... MC! What happened?" He grabbed me by my hand and pulled me inside, "You're covered with dust and.." He winced, "what if this? Soot?"

I looked down at myself. My shoes were covered with ashes and my hands with soot and dust. "Oh..." I started, "Sorry I'll clean up all of this." I carefully took off my shoes.

"Don't tell me you went to the mine?! Damn MC! Why do you act so recklessly?"

I averted my eyes, "Can I wash my hands?" I asked shyly. My cheeks were burning, now I understood why people stared at me.

"Follow me, the kitchen is this way" Dan sighed and I followed him to the sink and started to wash my hands. "You can't risk your life like this. Police are everywhere and the mine can collapse at any time!" I didn't answer and tried to swallow the lump in my throat. I realized now how stupid it was to go to the mine. Dan sighed, "Listen boo, I know you're worried about Hackerman. But don't risk your life! They didn't find any other body in that mine and if the FBI had arrested him we already knew it, don't you think? So for now, there's still hope."

I nodded "Sorry," I whispered.

"Aahh. It's nothing. Come on, I have something that might cheer you up." We went to the living room and I watched Dan grab two glasses and a bottle of whiskey. He poured us with the amber-colored liquid and handed me a glass.

"Thank you, Dan". We sat on the couch and I stared at my glass for a moment, "You're right I shouldn't have done this. I don't know why I acted like this."

"Love, it makes us do crazy things" he chuckled. I blushed and bit my lip. "I even shot my best friends to protect Jessy!"

"It wasn't the same," I cut him off. "He was threatening her and you didn't know the Man Without a Face was Richy."

He shrugged, "Hmm you know what I mean." Dan raised his glass and said, "To the ones we love"

Our glasses clinked, "To the ones we love," I mumbled. I drank the brown liquid and let it burn my throat. We chatted about everything and after a second glass I started to feel a little numb.

The rest of the night was quite good. We ordered pizzas and watched a bad horror movie. I started to doze off and lay my head on Dan's shoulder. My friend took a blanket and covered me with it. "Are you ok boo?"

I yawned, "Yes, I think it's time for me to go back to Jessy's"

Dan frowned, "Are you sure? I don't think it's a good idea to let you go back alone."

"It's ok Dan. Jessy's apartment is not that far. I'll text you when I arrive." I stood and put on my dirty shoes. Even if I liked spending the evening with Dan, I preferred to spend the night at Jessy's. I pecked him on his cheek and went out.

It was a cold night and I clenched my coat against me. The streets were empty and quiet. But soon I had the strange feeling that someone was following me. I looked over my shoulder a few times but saw nothing. I walked faster, almost running, and reached Jessy's building. I opened the door and looked one last time behind me. This is when I thought I spotted a tall figure in the shadows. My heart pounded in my chest. "Jake?" I whispered. But as soon as I stepped outside the building, the figure disappeared. I shook my head. There was no-one. I was so desperate to see him that I imagined him everywhere. With a heavy heart, I sighed and closed the door.

-----

Thank you for reading and for the support. And if you like the story, feel free to leave a comment or vote. Remember this is your humble writer's only payment. ❤️

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

61.8K 3K 68
A coded message leads MC to find the dead hacker she loved alive, but so mentally disturbed as to be unrecognisable. Can she help him find himself? ...
1.6K 176 14
Jake is trying to find Hannah when Hope joins the group. She says Hannah is her friend, but none of the others seem to know who she is. Jake watches...
51.4K 2.4K 79
This story is about Jake and MC two characters from the game Duskwood it's all about how ( jake and Mc ) found each other and can they find happin...
1.1K 50 11
Duskwood fanfiction, compilation of Jake and MC oneshot stories. Mostly fluff texts. Spoiler of ep10. English isn't my first language so there proba...