Is it Wrong to Try to Start a...

By SolKaiser1

Reincarnated into Danmachi? Great. Missing an arm? I can deal with that. Being the last living Dark High Elf... More

Chapter 1
CYOA Choices
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Interlude 1
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10

Chapter 9

984 43 19
By SolKaiser1

~X~

Ithil

I settled into my saddle as I saw the walls of Orario coming closer in the distance. I looked to the side to see Cloud on his horse. His face was relaxed, but, as always, his eyes gave away his emotions. He was anxious.

"You know, I can't thank you enough for this escort," a voice behind me said."I'm really sorry that we can't pay you."

I turned to see the lead driver of a caravan full of people moving to live in Orario. Along the way, we happened across said caravan as it was under attack by some goblins. Cloud and I easily took care of the monsters. Apparently, they couldn't pay for guards as they were down on their luck and decided to move here for a chance at new fortunes.

I don't know why Orario specifically as Cloud said the place is one of the most expensive places to live because of the technology there.

"It's no problem," Cloud said. "We were heading to the same place anyway."

We lapsed into silence until we came up to the entrance.

Cloud and I dismounted our horses and led them to the stables just outside the city. The stables were there for anyone who didn't want to take the horses into the city as there were very few places to hitch your horses. Cloud also said it wasn't unheard of for horses to be stolen.

So, after he paid them to watch over the horses for a few days, we made our way to the gatehouse.

"Let me do the talking." Cloud said as we walked up to the window.

"Name?" the bored-looking official said.

"Cloud, and this is Ithil," Cloud motioned to me.

"Temporary visit or permanent residence?" the customs guy said in a bored tone.

"Temporary."

"Reason for visit?"

"Business."

"Are either of you part of a Familia?"

"I am, but she isn't."

"Which Familia?"

"...Astraea."

The customs agent and the guard to the side quickly looked at Cloud in surprise. They were trying to remember his face. ...And it seems one of them did.

"The Darknight Hero..." the guard whispered in awe, and the customs agent's eyes widened when he heard that. As did other workers behind the counter who were now staring.

Cloud kept a cool face, but I could feel he was uncomfortable. He cleared his throat and narrowed his eyes at the customs agent who was still staring at him with wide eyes. The agent blinked as he realized he was staring and quickly composed himself.

"A-Ah, it's 3,000 Valis per person to enter the city," the agent stuttered.

Cloud placed a bag of Valis on the counter and, without waiting, started walking to the gate. I moved to follow him.

Nobody moved to stop us as we walked through the gate, and Cloud pointedly ignored the guards whispering to each other and pointing at him.

Wow... Word spreads really fast, considering we just left the customs building.

~X~

Shakti Varma

Shakti walked out of an office at the customs checkpoint and finished with her bi-weekly visit to all the customs offices.

As she was leaving, she overheard a couple of guards in the break room.

"Did you hear?" Guard 1 said.

"Hear? I saw him!" Guard 2 said with obvious excitement.

"So, was it really him? I thought he was dead."

"Yeah, it was," Shakti heard the awe in the guard's voice.

"And who are you two talking about?" Shakti entered the room and made her presence known.

"Oh, hey, Captain," Guard 1 greeted.

"Captain," Guard 2 nodded to her.

She nodded back in greeting. "So? This person?"

"Well, someone unexpected came through the gate today," Guard 1 said.

"Someone thought to be dead?" she said.

"Yeah... The Darknight Hero of the Astraea Familia is back."

Shakti blinked. She didn't openly show it, but she was surprised.

The Darknight Hero was the only male member of the Astraea Familia and someone who absolutely abhorred injustice. If he saw it happening in front of him, then he would do everything he could to stop it.

He was known to protect adventures from criminals and monsters in the Dungeon that were about to kill them and patrol the streets at night, as that was when most criminals came out. Hence the 'Darknight' part of his title. These actions made him especially popular, as Evilus was still around, and he helped thwart many of their smaller actions.

And then, two years ago, Evilus killed almost the entire Astraea Familia. The only survivors were the Darknight Hero and the Gale Wind.

The Hero was in a coma, and the Gale Wind went on a rampage, killing anyone that was even vaguely related to Evilus.

However, before the rampage was over, Evilus managed to find the Hero and blew up his hospital room. Since then, he has been presumed dead.

If he's actually alive and back in Orario...

Shakti left the gatehouse and went back to her Familia HQ. She had to inform Ganesha.

~X~

Ithil

Cloud and I were walking through the city with him leading the way and me looking around.

"So, where are we heading?" I said.

"The Hostess of Fertility," Cloud said. "It's a popular pub that also doubles as an inn. It's also extremely close to the Guild Headquarters. We'll grab a late lunch and two rooms, and I'll head over to the Guild."

"And what do I do?" I raised an eyebrow in curiosity. I noticed his wording. "Don't I need to go with you?"

"Not really..." Cloud scratched his head. "Only one of us needs to see them. And you have that look in your eyes."

"Hm?"

"The look of adventure. You look like you want to explore the world."

"Well, yes." I nodded. "I do want to see the land and find all the shrines and towers."

"Right, those..." Cloud said. "I forgot about those."

"I still think I should go with you to the Guild. Oman Au said if I wanted answers, I would need to see the 'Primordial of the Sky.' That's Ouranos."

"That's true..." Cloud slowly nodded. "Alright, after we eat and get our rooms, we'll head to the Guild together."

I nodded, and we walked in silence...

...For a couple of minutes, because I realized something.

"How am I going to get an audience with Ouranos?" I said.

"That's... a good question..." Cloud thought it over for a bit. "I don't know. I'll figure something out when we get there."

That was good enough for me, as I had no plan.

Ten minutes later, we arrived at the Hostess of Fertility.

~X~

"Welcome," greeted a cat person with black hair and green eyes. "Table for two?"

"Actually, could we get seats at the counter?" Cloud said.

"Sure."

The waitress led us to the counter, and we took our seats. We ordered our drinks: water for me and cola for Cloud. And our food: I chose chicken noodle soup, and Cloud went with spaghetti with meatballs.

We got our drinks, and as we were waiting for our food...

"Well... There's a face I never thought I'd see again."

Walking out from the kitchen and behind the counter was the owner of this pub/inn, Mia Grand.

"Mia," Cloud greeted.

"You look pretty good for someone who's supposed to be dead," Mia smiled.

"It was a pretty close call from what I was told," Cloud scratched his cheek. "I didn't wake up from my coma until three months after that day."

"Where have you been this whole time?"

I tuned out of their conversation as I fell into my thoughts.

What exactly is my plan?

Things have been happening so quickly that my mind hasn't caught up.

When I left Westend after meeting God, I was going to go to Camden, inform them about Westend, stay the night, leave for Orario, and quickly join the Loki Familia. Then try to get as strong as possible as fast as possible to prepare for canon.

They took a detour when I decided to follow Cloud back to Westend to find the reason for the missing villagers.

Then there was the whole thing about informing Demeter and then the Guild about the new monsters. I would have to come here in three weeks. I decided to stay in Camden because Cloud and Alfia were there, and they were high-level adventurers who were willing to train me. It was worth it. Train with them, then when I come here, I join the Loki Familia.

...And then, on the way here, we ran into Sheikah Shrines and a Tower.

Now, I need to meet Ouranos and most likely travel the world to find the other shrines and towers.

...So, is that the plan? Meet Ouranos and go from there?

*BANG*

I jumped a little in my seat. I turned to my left to see someone had taken the seat next to me and banged their head into the countertop.

"Hey! What did I say about denting my counter?!" Mia yelled at the person.

"I can easily fix it, Mia. You know that," said a female voice that... sounded familiar... "I'll have my usual."

Mia shook her head and placed a mug of beer in front of the customer. When she lifted her head to take a sip, I let out a sharp gasp in surprise because the customer was so very familiar.

She had red eyes, white hair in a bun, glasses, Lizalfos-like goggles on her forehead, and she was wearing the same clothes as in Tears of the Kingdom.

"...Purah?" I whispered.

"Hm?" She lowered her mug and turned toward me.

"Hmmm?" she narrowed her eyes and inched a little closer to me.

"Hmmmmm?" I could see her scrutinizing my face, my clothes, and then the sword on my back.

"HMMMMMMM?"

"Really?" I sighed and face-palmed at her actions.

"Linky!" she threw her arms around me in a hug. "It really is you!"

"How'd you figure it out so fast?" I said. "Don't I look really different?"

Purah leaned back from the hug and had her hands on my shoulders. "Well, yeah, but that sigh and facepalm were exactly the same as you always do!"

"...That's it?" I blinked. "Maybe not my clothes? Or something else?"

"Come on! You gotta come to my lab!" she cheerfully said while ignoring what I said.

She went to grab my left arm and drag me along, but there was no left arm to grab. So, she ended up swiping nothing but air.

When she realized she wasn't dragging me along, she looked down at her hands and then quickly to my left arm. Or rather, my lack of a left arm. She blinked and then shrugged as she grabbed my right arm and dragged me along.

I took a look back at Cloud, who simply waved bye. Alright, there's nothing to worry about on that end. So, I let Purah drag me to wherever her lab was.

~X~

Purah's lab was outside of Orario, on a hill to the southwest. It looked almost exactly as it did in Breath of the Wild.

"Look alive, Nina! We got a guest!" Purah said as she threw open the door to her lab.

Sitting at a desk off to the side, I saw this Nina person. I saw an elf girl with brown hair with a green streak going down her left bangs and green eyes. She looked to be about 10 years old.

"Welcome back, Teacher," Nina stood and slightly bowed.

"Teacher?" I raised an eyebrow at Purah.

"I took on an apprentice/assistant," she shrugged. "Anyway! I got to know. How are you here?"

"...Are you not going to introduce me to your apprentice?"

"You're stalling~ But fine," Purah sighed. "Linky, this is Nina. Nina, Linky."

"It's nice to meet you, Sir Link," Nina said politely. "Teacher and her sister told me much about you. Although, they both mentioned that you were a man..."

"Yeah, there's that too," Purah said. "Answers, Linky!"

I wanted to ask about Impa since Nina mentioned her, but Purah was not going to let this go until I answered her.

"Reincarnation," I said the simplest answer.

Purah blinked and then smacked her head. "Oh yeah! How could I forget that you show up from time to time throughout history."

"...I didn't expect you to believe me so readily," I said. "How'd you know about that."

"I've had a lot of free time over the millennia. I've found records of lots of ancient stories," Purah said. "They all involve a young hero in green clothes, saving Hyrule from a great enemy."

"I see," I said. I guess it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to convince Purah.

"Really? I know reincarnation is real, as the topic came up when I was still in the School District," Nina said. "But I was told those who reincarnate had no memories of their past lives."

"I don't know what to tell you about that, but I do remember a number of my past lives, including my first one," I shrugged. "I've been reincarnating since the Era of the Sky."

Just as I thought, that got Purah's attention real fast.

"You have memories of that time?!" Purah got really close. "Tell me everything!"

"Uh..." I leaned back. "I don't remember everything about my past lives. Just some of the important stuff.

"I don't mind. Just tell me whatever you remember."

I blinked and slowly pulled out a scroll from the Bag of Holding.

She quickly grabbed it and took it to her desk next to Nina's. They both read the title.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

She opened the scroll and jumped back in her seat as the video played a version of Great Fairy's Fountain. The intro was narrated by me out loud, so I did my part.

This is a legend as old as time.

The eternal fight between good and evil.

The story of...

...

The Blood of the Goddess...

...

The Incarnation of Demise...

...

And...

...

The Spirit of the Hero...

.

And I went through the rest of the intro like I did two weeks ago with Cloud and Bell.

Purah and Nina were utterly fascinated. I then stopped the video when we got to see Link for the first time.

"Aw, what? Why'd you stop it?" Purah complained.

"Because we still have things to talk about," I said. "You can watch that on your own time. I need to know about current times."

"Sure, what do you want to know?" Purah said, giving me her full attention.

"What happened the last time Calamity Ganon was here, and what happened since then?" I said. "Also, how are you still alive?" though I had an idea for that one.

"The last question is the easiest to answer, Sheikah Anti-Aging Rune," Purah said. "As for the other two... You said your memory was spotty. What do you remember of the Calamity?"

"I remember we lost. I had to take a 100-year nap, and then we won."

Purah looked at me funny like something was wrong with what I said. She then held a hand on her chin in thought.

"So that's what it is!" Purah snapped her fingers and pointed at me. "You're from the future!"

"...What?" I looked at her in confusion.

"Before the Calamity arrived, we found a small Guardian. I looked over its data and found that it had come from the future, a future where we lost," she explained. "Also, four other people came from the future to help us win. You're from that future!"

That sounds familiar...

...

Wait a minute! I get it now. I'm in the Age of Calamity timeline.

Still, that doesn't guarantee I reincarnated from the Hero of the Wild as my 'memories' of my past are really just the video games. I could easily be reincarnated from Age of Calamity Link, who reincarnated onto Earth.

...Eh, no point in wondering which timeline I'm from. In the end, it doesn't matter. I'm here as a reincarnation of Link. That's what's important.

"I see... I know where I am now," I said out loud. "And now it makes sense why the monk said the Source was not defeated."

"Huh? Monk? Source?" Purah asked.

I can trust Purah. So, I explained almost everything to her. I started with the events of Breath of the Wild and defeating Calamity Ganon. Then I talked about the Gloom that appeared a few years later and what, or rather, who was sealed beneath Hyrule Castle and was the source of Calamity Ganon.

"Ganon... dorf?" Purah slowly said.

"Ganon, Ganondorf, whatever he wants to call himself, has shown up time and time again throughout Hyrule's history."

"Just who is he?"

I looked at the Skyward Sword scroll on her desk. "If you watch that, you'll learn his origin. And take these too."

I pulled out two more scrolls and handed them to her. She read the titles and raised an eyebrow at me.

"There's a kid I met that loves hero stories. I thought, 'Why not tell him the stories of my past lives?'" I shrugged. "They certainly make for amazing heroic tales."

"Do you have any more of these?" Purah raised a scroll.

"I'm making more," I nodded.

"How did you make these?" She studied the scroll in her hand. "I never knew you could use magic. I never knew this kind of magic existed."

"That... has to do with this life," I scratched my cheek.

I told her my journey so far, from waking up in Westend to now, the fact I have amnesia, and that I've been getting all kinds of flashbacks. I even told her about my life on Earth but didn't mention the video games or the CYOA.

"That's really strange, Linky," Purah scratched her head. "You've forgotten everything in life older than one month, but in exchange, you remember most of the important parts of your past lives. I don't know what to say about that..."

"Some help finding my past in this life would be great," I said.

"We'll try our best, but don't get your hopes up," Purah motioned to herself and Nina, who also nodded.

"Also, you haven't answered one of my earlier questions, " I recalled. "When was the last time Calamity Ganon appeared, and what happened?"

"Well, what happened was what the four of your timeline told you," Purah said. I think she assumed that the four who went back in time told me about it since I know a lot of what happened. I didn't correct this assumption. "As for how long it's been? 11,000 years."

"11,000?" I repeated.

"Well, about that long. I don't remember the exact number of years."

"Calamity Ganon hasn't returned in that time?" I said.

"It was supposed to one thousand years ago, but Ouranos descended and did something," Purah shrugged. "You'll have to ask him if you want to know why. I can set up a meeting, but he might not tell you. Hmph, he refused to tell me anything."

"Do it," I slowly nodded. "One last thing. Can you make me an arm?" I motioned to my lack of one.

"Oh, easily. I still have some Ancient Tech lying around, so I'll use that," she placed a hand on her chin in thought. "But any regular arm won't do... What should I add to it?"

"A way to use the Sheikah runes I have," I immediately said. "I don't want to have to keep pulling out my phone to do it. And... a retractable shield, too."

"Yeah, those sound good," Purah nodded. "But what's a phone?"

"It's something from my most recent past life," I pulled out the device in question. "This one's been upgraded to have the functionality of a Sheikah Slate, but its main feature is instant long-distance communication."

Purah snatched the smartphone out of my hand to look it over.

"Interestingly, the Sheikah Tower and Shrines register that as a Sheikah Slate," I finished.

"I need to see if I can reverse engineer this," she said after a few minutes.

"Arm first. That'll be quicker, and I need it as soon as possible," I said.

"Yeah, yeah..." she said absentmindedly, as she continued to look over my phone.

"While you work on the arm, I'll go through the trial in the Shrine just a bit down the hill from here," I said as I slowly pulled the phone out of her hands. Funnily, she made grabbing motions as I moved the phone back to me. Then she realized what I said.

"Wait, Shrine? Trial?"

"That Sheikah Shrine that's close to the western entrance to Orario," I motioned my head in its general direction. "It's a test the Ancient Sheikah prepared for the Hero."

She blinked and then scrambled to pack a bag full of supplies. Nina gathered her bag but at a much more sedate pace.

"11,000 years and I never figured out what was in those shrines," Purah said while grabbing more things. "I'm not missing this opportunity."

Once she finished, she rushed out the door, leaving me and Nina behind. We followed at a more casual pace.

It took some time to get to the Shrine, so I started a conversation with her.

"So, I'm Ithil," I introduced myself. "I know you know me as Link, so I don't mind which name you call me by."

"I'm Nina Tulle. Once again, it's nice to meet you, Sir Link," she said.

Tulle? Isn't that Eina's last name?

"How'd you meet Purah?"

And Nina went into an explanation of that and started by saying that she was a student of the School District.

The School District is a large flying ship that acts as, you guessed it, a school for talented people. Anyone between the ages of 6 and 18 can apply as a student, but being accepted is extremely tough. There were 1,100 applicants when Nina applied two years ago, and there were only 7 openings.

It was created by a coalition of Familias, called Classes, and while Baldr is the Headmaster, no Class is superior to another.

In terms of education, they teach anything: blacksmithing, combat, administration, and even singing. Whatever profession you're working toward, they have a teacher for it.

...Except for studying Ancient Technology. Purah is the foremost expert... And the only one. They offered to hire her as a professor, but she declined because teaching would cut into her research time and being out in the field. Instead, they asked if she could stay as a guest lecturer for a couple of weeks, and she accepted that.

Nina was thoroughly interested in Ancient Tech because of these lectures. The Sheikah and Zonai, ancient races, created technology that was centuries ahead of the time, even after the gods descended and brought some of their own technology. Purah noticed this interest and offered to take her as an apprentice. Obviously, Nina said yes.

~X~

~ Shrine of Pumaag Nitae ~

Opening the Shrine was easy, but getting on the elevator took forever. Purah was studying as much as she could: the outside, the blue light, the orange Sheikah symbol at the top of the Shrine, the pedestal, and the travel gate. She pulled out a Purah Pad and started taking down notes and pictures. Nina was making a sketch.

"Can we get going," I said tiredly. "I want to get in the Shrine before anyone shows up." I do not want to have to deal with the questions that will come from that.

Purah turned to Nina, and she turned her drawing pad to show us a well-done sketch of the Shrine in color.

"Yeah, sure. Let's go," she nodded to me.

The three of us got on the elevator platform and descended into the trial. When we reached the bottom, the two looked around in awe at the architecture.

"To you who sets foot in this shrine... I am Pumaag Nitae," said the voice of the monk in here. "In the name of the Goddess Hylia, I offer this combat trial."

"Uh, did you two hear that?" Purah said.

"Yeah, that was the monk at the end of this shrine," I shrugged. "He created this test and rewards me when I complete it."

"Huh."

"You two, stay here by the windows," I motioned to said windows as I walked up to the entrance. "This is a test of strength which means I'll most likely fight a Sheikah Guardian."

"Oh?" Purah's eyes sparkled. "Nina, get ready to sketch."

With the two getting a good view from the window, I walked into the large chamber. A gate closed behind me, and the floor in the middle rose to reveal a Guardian Scout II. The top part rose from the main body to reveal it was equipped with a Guardian Sword and Guardian Shield.

I drew my sword as it charged at me. It fired off four laser blasts in quick succession. I managed to dodge the first three but had to block the fourth with my sword, and I skidded back from the force. The guardian closed the distance, raised its sword, and swung it down.

Guardians had very obvious tells when attacking with their weapons, so I was able to easily read the attack and dodged to the side at the last second.

Then... something strange happened.

As I jumped to the side, everything slowed down. Everything except myself. I was still moving at normal speed. I had no time to think about it as the guardian was open, and I took my chance. I rushed it in a flurry of attacks as it was slowed.

When everything moved as normal, the guardian fell over, dropping its sword and shield, and exploded, leaving behind some item drops.

The gates on both sides of the room opened up, and Purah and Nina walked to me.

"Well done, Linky," Purah smiled as she walked up to me. "Seems you haven't lost your touch. You even did that Flurry Rush of yours."

Flurry Rush... So, that's what that was. It activates when you do a Perfect Dodge with Link. Is that what happened here?

"Let's head to the goal," I said as I walked to the monk in the distance. "After I get my reward, I can stick around as you document this place."

"You're a darling~, Linky," Purah thanked me.

There was a chest at the base of the stairs in the next room. Inside was a boomerang that I put inside the storage in my phone.

It's good I have a ranged option now.

And it's time to move on to the goal.

~X~

~ Hostess of Fertility ~

After getting the Spirit Orb, Purah, and Nina set about documenting the place.

Purah was going around and taking notes, making maps, marking them, and taking pictures with her Purah Pad.

Nina made colored sketches of everything: the elevator platform, the rooms, and Sheikah writings.

Once they were done, we exited the shrine and made our way to the Hostess of Fertility for dinner.

It was packed, but we managed to get a table.

"Welcome, what can I get for you?" said the waitress who came to take our orders, and I turned to see that it was Syr. She smiled when she noticed Purah. "Purah! I was wondering when you'd come down from your lab."

"Hi, Syr," Purah greeted in a friendly manner.

"Hello, Syr," Nina greeted with a slight bow.

"Hi, Nina," Syr said, and then she noticed me. "And hello to... you..." she trailed as she stared at me. Her eyes seemed to widen in surprise.

I have no idea what to think of such a reaction.

Syr realized she was staring and recomposed herself. "You're a new face here. What's your name?"

"Ithil," I said.

"I see, and how do you know Purah," Syr said, and she was paying real close attention to me, to the point where it was a little weird.

"Uh, Syr?" Purah spoke up. "Our orders?"

"Oh! Oh, right. What would you like to order?" Syr went back into work mode.

We told her our orders, and she left to go to the kitchen with them, but not before giving me one last long glance.

Okay? What's with her?

Purah, Nina, and I chatted for a bit as we waited for our food. ...Well, it was more like Purah picked my brain about Earth, and Nina just listened in.

And soon enough, Syr arrived with our drinks. She was about to ask me something when the door opened, and everyone went silent.

I turned to see why that was when I saw Cloud walking in, and behind him... was Lili?

Yup, a twelve-year-old Liliruca Arde was closely following Cloud. Really, it was more like she was sticking to his hip.

Cloud saw me at the table and walked toward me.

"Ithil, you're back," Cloud nodded in greeting and motioned to Lili. "This is Lili. She'll be leaving Orario with us when we're done with our business here."

I stared at Cloud with a questioning look. When did Cloud meet Lili, and why does it look like she's holding onto him like a lifeline?

"What did you do while I was gone?" I said.

"May we?" Cloud pointed to two chairs at our table, and we nodded. Cloud and Lili sat while Lili scooted her chair closer to him.

"Okay, here's what happened..."

~X~

Author's Note:

Chapter Done!

Yup, Purah is here!

And so is Nina Tulle. If she seems OOC, I apologize. All I know about her is from the wiki, as the latest volume of the light novel won't be released in English until August.

Also, remember that Ithil has only seen the anime. That means she doesn't know that Syr is Freya.

As always, constructive criticism is appreciated.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 659 9
[Danmachi AU] What if since the banishment of Orario's top two Familias, Zeus and Hera, things drasitcally changed? What if their banishment caused a...
350 5 14
In the bustling city of Orario, where adventurers gather from far and wide to delve into the mysterious depths of the dungeon, a young adventurer nam...
96.1K 2.7K 33
The Freya Familia Ran by the Goddess of Love, War and Fertility Freya herself. A familia known for their brutal strength, one of two responsible for...
394 17 3
I read a lot of fanfic stories about the anime named Danmachi or as you call it "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" And while reading...