Forget It (ONC 2024)

Von Voyageavecmoi

Inventor Selene Mintz and her partner Arch Kenton are on the cusp of breaking into the upper levels of Inno-T... Mehr

Welcome
Chapter 1 - Change
Chapter 2 - The Chip
Chapter 3 - Everything We Know Is a Lie
Chapter 4 - Not Beyond Repair
Chapter 5 - Forgetting Remember-All
Chapter 6 - Beyond our control
Chapter 8 - The choice

Chapter 7 - Authorized Visitor

52 13 130
Von Voyageavecmoi

The bright lights from the towering buildings of the Inno-Tech district of Cyville illuminated the elevated pedestrian path, which navigated past various shops from the Nature-scapes Wellness Center to the 24-hour-Power caffeine shop selling everything from hot and cold caffeinated beverages, treats, capsules, injections, and more long-term slow release patches. My small strides outnumbered Arch's two to one, but at least my Versa-shoes were comfortable, though useless given that I hadn't pitched them to investors tonight.

Bitterness still lingered in my heart about that, and the architect of those feelings hadn't departed either. Although I hadn't asked him to as this familiar shared commute home comforted me slightly. The illusion my future wasn't shattered beyond repair echoed in his footfalls on the rubber sidewalk.

Arch and I reached the turn towards my apartment building. We only lived three streets apart, as close as we could get at the time we picked our homes because I'd wanted a place that had an apartment for my mom in my building as well. Arch had opted for one nearby, a touch fancier and more expensive than mine, but still comparable. With the bonuses in his new contract, he'd also found a nice home for his family, but they resided further given the space the five of them needed.

"Can I walk you the rest of the way home?" His voice was tentative, and he had that nervous twitch in his cheek that he got when he was self-conscious.

Had we gone far enough together? If he walked me home, he'd want to come up and explain himself again, but I'd heard so much bullshit tonight, I couldn't endure more.

I was about to say no when two men in business suits slowed their walk and cat-called me on their way down the path toward my apartment building. Arch's jaw tensed, and his hand curled into a fist as he told them to move along. I didn't recognize them as residents of my building, but the structure was over thirty stories high and this wasn't I time I regularly came home.

So I agreed because, despite his betrayal, Arch would protect me. Whether it was because he was sincere about still caring about me or as an asset for his project didn't matter after dark if the result was the same. He didn't bother me with questions or attempts at an apology. He just walked quietly beside me like he sensed I needed that space.

We arrived at Inno-Foods shop #47 with a small display of the in-season produce in the window, the pedestrian-level indicator for my apartment building, I turned to Arch.

"Thanks for walking me home."

"Anytime. Did you want to talk more about... earlier tonight?"

I ran a hand through my styled hair. "I'm exhausted, Arch, and what you did..."

"It's unforgivable, I know that. I never meant for it to..." He met my eye with a regretful expression, which may be a control chop at work. "I wanted you to lead it, not me."

"That's easy to say now. And regardless of what you meant to do, we're both stuck with these consequences. Inno-Tech–"

Damn that control chip! I wanted to rip it out, but it was impossible without removing all of my tech, which was dangerous to do unassisted. There was no way to disable them either, not that I was aware of. Maybe Ash would have an idea if they reached out again.

"We can talk freely upstairs. You can yell at me, say everything you wish you'd longed to during the meeting and now," Arch said.

That was tempting, but I was also drained, and that wouldn't change anything.

As we arrived at the lev-pods at the side of the building, the female AI voice said, "Welcome home, Selene and guest Archibald. A visitor is waiting in your apartment."

My muscles tensed like an overextended high-voltage cable. "In my apartment? Why are they inside?"

"The visitor is authorized to enter the apartment."

That may be my mom or brother, or Arch's oldest sister, but it may also be an Inno-Tech employee. Or had Ash found a way around the security system? What if it was someone out to get me like Ash had suggested in their message?

"Who is the visitor?" I asked.

"Kaitlyn Mintz."

I let out a breath of relief. But why was my mom in the apartment? I hadn't asked her to take care of anything, and she rarely stopped by uninvited. Had something happened? Was she okay? Dots of sweat formed on my palms.

Arch glanced at me then turned to the welcome bot.

"Can you show current footage of the apartment?" Arch asked.

"Selene, would you like to see the current video feed of the apartment?"

I raised an eyebrow at Arch, and he mind-spoke. "Just to be sure. Most of this neighbourhood houses Inno-Tech employees with enough knowledge to override an AI welcome bot. With your connection to Mem-Armour, it's best to be safe."

The thought sent a shiver down my spine and I addressed the security AI. "Yes."

The video footage projected before us showed a woman with light brown hair like mine digging through my pantry. Her face was not visible from that angle, but as the camera circled, the person resembled my mom and sounded like her as she muttered, "Where is it?"

What the hell? My mom was not the sort of person to rifle through my possessions or take anything that wasn't hers. She already gave me everything she could to repay me for the apartment I'd gotten for her, even if I told her again and again that I didn't need it.

"Show footage from five minutes ago," I said.

The video jumped to my mom looking around my living room and calling out, "Gears! Come on sweetie, where did you go?"

Her words made the blood in my veins halt like a malfunctioning production line. I had to have misheard.

My voice trembled. "Please replay with transcription."

My hands clasped each other in useless reassurance as the replay confirmed my fears.

"Did you get a new cat?" Arch asked.

A tear slipped out of my eye, then another as I shuddered, my chest collapsing in on itself. Gears had passed away two years ago, which meant my mom had lost two years of her memories.

"Stop footage," Arch called out and stepped closer to me. "Selene, talk to me."

This wasn't happening. He couldn't be right about my mom's deteriorating health. Not on the same night he'd stolen my invention and turned it into an unhelpful mass-market commercial product that wouldn't help her at all. She was supposed to have more time, and so was I. Hadn't the doctors done brain scans and confirmed it?

And how would I be able to help her now if I couldn't stop crying? Was there anything I could do tonight besides get her to rest? I'd have the meet with her doctors as soon as possible.

"Can I do anything? We can make sure she's alright and get her back to her place. I'll leave the second you ask me to."

That was the vulnerable Arch I knew and fell in love with. But that man had also doomed my invention and now my mother, who needed it more than I'd realized.

My mind screamed at me to say no, but my lips wouldn't move. Unlike earlier, there was no external force at work, it was just pure exhaustion, especially after sleeping so little over the past weeks while getting the Versa-shoe prototype ready for tonight. Perhaps I should have stopped by 24-Hour-Power on the way back. But that caffeine would have only amplified these feelings of hopelessness.

I was unsure I could control my emotions around her alone. Arch always gave me strength and confidence, sharing reassurances when worst-case scenarios invaded my brain like pesky ads. If he stayed, he may prove that he was still that person who cared for me and my family.

"Sure," I muttered and sniffled.

He studied me with concern as we stepped into the egg-shaped lev-pod.

Once I'd confirmed our destination, he said, "It's going to be okay. Just because she has one day like this doesn't mean it's forever. She'll have good days and bad ones. And we'll find a way to help her, I promise."

My stomach jolted as the lev-pod rose toward my apartment. Lights twinkled in some of the floating front yards, decorating railings and potted trees and bushes.

"Your promises are worth very little to me right now," I muttered without meeting his gaze.

"I realize that. But it won't stop me from doing everything I can to keep it. Tonight, let's make sure she's safe, okay? One step at a time."

I nodded as the lev-pod slowed and let us off in my front yard. The gate scanned us and confirmed Arch had my permission to enter before swinging open. After we stepped inside my yard, complete with several food plants Arch had gifted me over the years along with flowers, he ensured the gate was locked and peeked into the adjacent micro-yards as I headed toward my front door. Did he also think someone was here to attack me or did he have another reason? Another scan and confirmation later, we were inside the brightly lit apartment.

"Mom, we're home."

I hoped we wouldn't shock her too much. I didn't want to make what she was going through any worse.

"Lena, and Archibald, what a pleasant surprise."

My mom entered the front hall, her hair frizzy and dishevelled, and traces of powder resting on the dark, free-flowing fabric covering her knees. Her walk was stiff, and she steadied herself on a railing extending itself from the wall.

"I thought you'd be out later, dear."

"No, we've just finished up at Inno-Tech. How are you doing?" I asked.

"Those beautiful clothes are for work?" She ignored my question.

"They wanted help with a presentation to investors," Arch said. Understatement of the year. "How was your night?"

My mom scanned the hallway and room then wrung her hands together. They shook more than usual, but maybe my eyes were looking too hard to locate signs of deterioration.

"I stopped by to feed Gears, but she seems to have escaped. I've been trying to find her treats to call her back."

Hearing her confirm it with such certainty left the words trapped in my throat. She believed Arch and I were still first-year apprentices and that my cat was alive. She had no recollection that tonight was supposed to be the biggest night of my career so far. Yesterday, she'd been aware and supportive, so excited to share my Versa-shoe progress with her MS group.

Arch cleared his throat. "We must have forgotten to tell you. My sister begged us to take care of Gears, so that's where she is right now, along with all her food and treats."

My mom sighed in relief which I also felt in my heart. "Sorry, hun, I should have messaged you and spared you this mess, but I didn't want to bother you at work."

"It's fine, Mom. You can message me at work anytime you need anything. Please."

She wore a very thin smile. "I'll help you clean up the pantry."

"The bots can do that, Mom." There was no shortage of tech in an Inno-Tech apartment. "Can I get you a cup of tea?"

"I don't want to be a bother. You two didn't come up here to visit with your old mom."

"The Welcome Bot told us you were here, so I did." Arch threw on one of his dashing smiles, and I couldn't decide whether to be revolted or warmed by his faux charming nature. I'd always loved his sweet side, but if it existed to manipulate me, it made me want to vomit.

My mom chuckled and looked at us. "It's no wonder you're so successful, Archibald. My daughter will have to watch out for that charisma."

"Please call me, Arch, and I'm afraid it's me who's in trouble because Selene is both brilliant and charming, far more than me."

He met my eyes, and added, "And I mean that, Selene. It's absolute bullshit you aren't in charge of your project. I never wanted or intended for that to happen, but it was my fault."

As I stiffened, I looked away as tears prickled in my eyes. I had said I wasn't ready for that conversation, but it was the first time he'd taken ownership of his actions. But that wasn't my primary concern now. It was my mother.

"Please stay, Mom."

"Perhaps for that cup of tea. My head's a bit... sore."

"I'll get right on that. Lemon chamomile?" Arch asked.

My mom grinned. "You're quite intuitive."

"Selene must have mentioned it at some point," he lied as he knew because he'd been making her tea each week we went up to visit her when we were working the same shifts.

My mom claimed there was something special about the way he did it, which made little sense with the process being automated down from the amount of loose tea brewed, the ideal water temperature and the tea-specific designated steeping time, but she said it often. The ease with which he lied to her made me wonder how many other times he'd done that when her memory was failing and I hadn't noticed. He knew it was important to keep her calm and that disrupting this version of her reality would only hurt her.

"Selene, if he is single and sweet-talking your silly old mom, you'd best keep him around."

"Your daughter can do a lot better than me," he said without looking at either of us. His voice was partially teasing, but I sensed some bitter honesty in that tone.

"She may play disinterested, but she has adored you from the second she met you."

My cheeks burned. It had been true that I'd been a massive Arch Kenton fan, not only because of his mind but because he was down-to-earth and caring, but I worked hard to hide that around him then. Once we started dating, he was quite aware, but I had no interest in revisiting those feelings now.

"Mom, can you not? We work together every day."

"And that's why the two of you are back at your apartment together. Strictly work?" she teased.

"I wanted to make sure she made it home safely. Can never be too careful these days."

No, especially when your boyfriend was a lying snake. But a lying snake who still cared about my mom and, to some degree, me. With everything we had to face with Inno-Tech warping my idea, taking revenge like I'd wanted to earlier, it seemed like energy better spent elsewhere. I wasn't sure Arch was the real enemy, but I wasn't ready to forgive him either.

I sat on the couch with my mom, asking about her day, which, aside from the cat debacle, had gone well. She'd visited the nearby Harvest Gardens Park with my brother. I'd have to ask him how her memory was earlier today and if anything might have stressed her out.

"The gardens are incredible, Arch. An outstanding achievement. They would have fascinated my husband. Those harvest spiders. I'd never seen one so big as when we passed the pumpkin tree."

My heart ached thinking of Dad. Mom said I was so much like him with my inventor's brain and endless tinkering. I remember that side of him, the late nights spent in his workspace, the toys he'd built for my brother and me before the accident.

When Arch had gifted me inventions throughout our friendship, it felt like Dad's spirit reappeared, nudging a friend in my direction to help me survive the intimidating and overwhelming space. It had reassured me to think that Dad would have loved Arch if he were still alive. Dad would have forgiven me for what happened today and told me everything was more complicated than it appeared, but therein lay the beauty.

"Those harvest bots are quite a sight. I love the tiny ones that go after the blueberries," Arch said to my mom.

The first time Arch had taken me to the gardens, he'd answered all my questions about the robotics, from their ripeness calculating sensors to the soft extendable tips of their legs to prevent damaging the products and the lev-delivery drones offering consumers food minutes to hours after harvest at peak-time for flavour and nutrients. He came to life in the most attractive and endearing way when he spoke of them.

The tea infuser beeped, and he walked there and returned with a tray of three drinks, placing one in each of our hands. When he sat next to me, it was a slight distance away, which I appreciated given that my mind and emotions kept flickering between Current-Arch, the confusing betrayer, and Past-Arch, who loved and supported me.

My mom chatted happily about her apartment garden and her paintings, not seeming at all distressed by her situation like I was. To her, she was getting to know the man she hoped her daughter would one day date. He was sweet and attentive in his responses, while still looking back at me enough to show he was probably more worried about me than about her.

Once she'd finished her tea, she insisted on taking off on her own, and I told her to video message me when she was in or else we would come to check on her. She brushed off my concern, but at least that meant she wasn't aware of the severity of her condition.

Once we wished my mom goodbye, and sent her off in a lev-pod, Arch turned to me. "Do you want me to go?"

My mind and body were awash with conflicting emotions. Seeing his genuine concern and love for my mom reminded me that despite tonight, he'd always been there for me and my family. But was he being controlled, or was this all part of his larger manipulation?

He already has your idea and the right to develop it as his own. What else is there for him to gain? You have a guaranteed follow-up project that can feature the best aspects of Remember-All with none of the deceitfulness of Mem-Armour.

While I was unsure if his explanations would reassure or enrage me, I deserved to hear them and would spend the rest of the night dwelling if I didn't.

"Will you be honest with me?"

"Completely, and there's no tech stopping me from it here." He was as sincere as ever.

Once we'd watched my mom reach her apartment stoop, and she confirmed via video she was inside, Arch and I returned to my couch. I lit up the screen walls with the image of a fire crackling around us, part soothing and part channelling my still simmering anger. He had a lot to answer for.

"So, what can you possibly tell me to explain tonight?"

His leg vibrated with nerves, making the couch shake, and he ran a hand over his dress pants.

"It might be easier to show you." He pulled out a chip reader and detached a chip from his temple. 

Word count: 3153

Total word count: 17, 417

A shout-out to Wdhenning who has a great sci-fi entry 'Mars Needs Woman' that explores the colonization of Mars and important complications that could occur as people fail to learn from past mistakes in history. It has a great cast, humour, and great world-building.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

36K 2.4K 30
Born into slavery as nothing better than a Subhuman, unable to speak, unable to read or write and unallowed to learn such things, she works hard for...
961 69 32
[THIS IS CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN - BOOK ON MY PROFILE] Avery Chronos' life seems full of success. She has her whole life planned out. She's on the...
Walls Von Tahmenie

Mystery / Thriller

293 11 26
Abbie is a cyber-security specialist who loves being the girl-in-the-(swivel)-chair. It feels safe and comfortable. But she feels neither when she cr...
70.3K 4.1K 30
Aern's only job is to protect the chosen. The trouble is, she's the key to a prophecy and everyone wants her. Hiding a girl in the center of a secret...