The Quimby Hotel

Bởi wxnderland_addict

𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐆𝐎, Cairo Quimby disappeared without a trace. His family has neglected to speak of hi... Xem Thêm

━ 00: Cast
━ 01: Running To Nowhere
━ 02: To Stay Or To Go
━ 03: Bittersweet Reunion
━ 04: Something In-Between
━ 05: First Order Of Business
━ 06: Inadequate Compensation
━ 07: The Key
━ 08: Dead On Arrival
━ 09: Old Habits Never Die
━ 10: Revenge For Justice
━ 11: Guilt And Monsters
━ 12: Picking Up What's Left
━ 13: Power In The Wrong Hands
━ 14: Deservedly Wicked
━ 15: Epilogue
Bonus Cast + Soundtrack

Closing

11 1 0
Bởi wxnderland_addict

A/N: So we've reached the last page! If you made it this far, I want to say thank you for giving your local amateur teen writer some time out of your day. This project was the shortest I've ever set my mind to—since I normally attempt to write novels—but it's also the first book I've ever finished, so you're witnessing a pretty big milestone in my life.

I had a vague idea for a patchwork family that owned a hotel with some oddities and possibly magic involved, which was even called The Quimby Hotel, in fact, for a little while, but I didn't really have a plot or a solid protagonist, so I wasn't sure what to do with the concept. I just sort of let it fester and forgot about it for a while—until the Open Novella Contest rolled around, which was something I had never heard of until I stumbled into someone else doing it and decided to search it up (because why not). Despite having several other WIPs in progress and having just gotten myself into a good routine of writing and posting Class Freak chapters once a week, it was too late. Once I scrolled through the prompts, the ideas were stirring, and I couldn't resist. I thought about it for a good several days, or maybe something more akin to a week, trying to convince myself not to do it, but in that time the idea had fully formed in my head. Being new to the ONC, I didn't know it wasn't commonplace to use a crapton of prompts, so I ended up with I believe nine (I have a hard time narrowing my ideas down, if you couldn't tell).

I really wanted to portray sibling and familial relationships that were partially realistic but also... wrong, like they'd gone just a little too far, become a little bit too resentful and violent. The dynamics between the Quimby siblings and how they never treat each other quite like they should but still ultimately have a bond that's difficult to break was probably my favorite element of this story to explore, especially as someone who has experienced firsthand the feeling of living with a large number of siblings. I also know what it feels like for none of your siblings to be fully related to you, so there was a lot of reflection on the mixed feelings that might result from that. I almost wish I'd gotten even more time to ruminate on the family aspect.

At first, Cairo, who I came up with just as fast as I'd come up with the book's premise and did not exist whatsoever in my mind before I wrote the first chapter, was a strange protagonist. Unlike many of the extras and side characters that filled out the rest of the cast, he didn't really have hobbies or interests or passions whatsoever. I was trying to think of something to give him when I realized that some people are just... like that. No purpose, no direction in life. Suddenly that became the core of Cairo's personality; that he had none. He was directionless and empty, a hollow shell of a person that had never remembered to develop much of anything on the inside. That's where the ghost metaphor came from, partially inspired by Prompt #96. It became very interesting to explore as the story went on, because I don't think I've ever followed a protagonist with so little charisma and passion. I think it made me think deeper when I was writing about him, because I was trying to do a character study with this zombie of a character. He's been a very fascinating person for me to work with and to parallel and contrast with other characters like Lucille and Clancy.

When I first signed up for Round 1 (that was after the first chapter) I had no idea where the story was going to be going other than a vague series of out-of-order plot points, and it's kind of funny that I signed up for the Mystery/Thriller category, because at the time, I didn't think fantasy would play a large role in the storyline... boy, was that assumption wrong lmao. As I developed an outline, I started to regret that decision, mostly because I've never even attempted to write a mystery before so I probably didn't do such a great job in that department. Oh well. At this point, I don't even know what genre this is. Mystery? Fantasy? Action? I feel like it doesn't have enough of any of those elements to categorize it either way, but whatever. I guess it's a little bit in-between ;)

I also agonized over the ending for a looooonnnggg time. I was hoping the perfect, satisfying conclusion would just come to me, and as the deadline crept closer and I wrote more chapters, I got more nervous about it. But it did, in fact, come to me. I considered a lot of endings, a few of which included Cairo staying at the hotel indefinitely—which I ultimately decided wouldn't work after I'd already established that he really had no discernable future there—or killing off the Quimby parents and exploring the aftermath—but I realized then Vienna wouldn't really face consequences for her actions, and that wasn't the message I wanted to send. So now here we are. I left things just open-ended enough to leave possibilities for more, because I really enjoyed writing in this universe and writing about the Quimby family in particular, and I would love to potentially write more here in the future.

All the comments and votes I received were really encouraging while I was getting through this, especially during times when I doubted myself and didn't believe that I'd make it to the deadline. When I tell you I listened to that soundtrack on repeat, I seriously mean it. I had that sucker playing over and over for two and a half months straight for inspiration because I absolutely needed it. I hardly listened to anything else. I'm amazed that I don't have the lyrics to every single song memorized by now, because I listened to it while I wrote, while I did schoolwork, while I worked out, while I cleaned house, while I took naps, you name it. Anyway, I don't think The Quimby Hotel is necessarily going to win any awards, but I had a lot of fun with it, and I look forward to gaining feedback so that I can move forward with writing improved drafts of the story and hopefully getting it somewhere even bigger than Wattpad. I want to thank you again for spending your time with me and my characters! Godspeed.

— Ginger ❤️

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

80 13 13
Xander "King" Royal is a levelheaded loner living in Georgia. He was the VP of one of the most Notorious MCs called the Smoking Aces until he decided...
1.6K 361 10
Four strangers are trapped in an elevator and forced to reveal details about their most malicious deeds within the hour to prevent a fall to their de...
Above All Bởi bb2410

Tiểu Thuyết Chung

50.4K 6.2K 110
"I mean what's a party if they're no Idizians, am I right?" The night of the Day of Doves changes everything for Amani Cloutier, a 27-year old top ag...
849 120 34
BOOK NUMBER 1 OF 12 IN THE MULTIMAGICAL SERIES BY LILLIAN R.S. ☆☆☆ Emeline Orman was sixteen when she and her parents moved across the country to t...