Let Me In ✔️ | ENG

By Sarae-Seong

In a need of a break from her demanding job, Carmina seeks refuge in a hidden gem of Italy - Amalfi Coast. Bu... More

Author's Note
〉 Let Me In 〈
〉 Let Me Read You 〈
〉 Let Me Fix It 〈
〉 Let Me Know 〈
〉 Let Me Try 〈
〉 Let Me Confess 〈
〉 Let Us Dream 〈
〉 Let It Last 〈
〉 Let It Go 〈
〉 Let Me Mourn 〈
〉 Let Me Be 〈

〉 Let Them Talk 〈

35 4 32
By Sarae-Seong

The suite doors had barely closed when Carmina morphed from a startled doe into a predator -beyond any reason.
"What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

"Hey, hey, calm down. What's gotten into you?"

"You have no idea what you've done!" With trembling hands, she grabbed the nearest vase and hurled it across the room. It shattered with a bang into a thousand pieces. Dae watched in horror as her demeanour shifted abruptly. He knew his reckless stunt might catch her off guard, but he believed they could joke about it later and for now he just rescued an uncomfortable situation. Why wasn't she heeding?

"You think you can just waltz in here and play the hero? You have no clue!"
Beautiful suite - in just a few seconds - became a battleground as Carmina unleashed her fury on anything within her reach.

"Carmina... Carmina, listen to me!" Dae suddenly approached her, trying to grab her hand. A sharp pain shot through his cheek. And she looked at him blankly, no guilt, no remorse. Dae's frustration reached its boiling point. He grabbed her by the arms and shook her violently. "Snap out of it!" he roared. "Look at me!"
Her eyes flickered for a moment, and he seized the opportunity. "I messed up, alright? I'll take the blame! But if we didn't act now, they'd destroy you, rip your reputation to shreds!"

The words lingered for a while, as reality was sinking in slowly. After a few deep breaths, Carmina finally calmed down.
"I... I get it," she murmured, barely audible. "I'm sorry... I just..."

He finally softened his grip. "It's okay. We will manage somehow... together."

"Dae, I need some time to think... to process everything,"

"Alright, but..."

"Alone."

Dae stood there, torn between confusion and concern. 'But Carmina, I-' his words trailed off as she raised a hand, silencing him.

"Just go back to your floor."

"But just for a while... We should stay together. Given the circumstances, it's safer to play it that way." He started to explain his idea, but she cut him off.

"Get the fuck out of here if you want to keep that handsome face of yours."

Dae stepped back, but a mischievous smirk was dancing on his lips. "Do you think I'm handsome?"
He got his answer - a loud thud when the door closed in front of his face.

***

This night wasn't one of the best. The irritation from the previous evening hadn't dissipated yet. "How could he be so reckless..." Between dragging herself out of bed and contemplating whether she should even leave it, Carmina tried to understand how one could be such a fool.
These vacations were meant to whisk her away from the daily turmoil. Yet, chaos clung to her like a burr to a dog's tail. At times, it felt like it even had a name - Daehyun. Just the mention of that devil sent shivers down her spine.
She wasn't ready to face the world outside just yet. A single phone call, and a tray with Mediterranean delights, a mountain of fruits, and her cherished marzipan-infused coffee appeared on her terrace. "A touch of solace in this infernal resort," she muttered, devouring a piece of cheese.

After luxurious breakfast it was time to appreciate the swim-up suite. The pool temperature was just perfect. Carmina could barely contain a hum of pleasure. The water soothed her senses, washing away all the stress from the previous day. With the grace of a mermaid, she dived in and swam underwater its entire length. She reached the neighbouring, still unoccupied suite, and then surfaced by its wooden terrace. Her eyes stung slightly, and for a moment, Carmina saw everything through a light haze. Sometimes, it's easier to blame it on the chlorine than to admit what lies ahead might not be just a trick of the mind.

Daehyun lounged on the terrace, sipping his favourite frozen latte, entirely shirtless. His bronzed chest gleamed in the sunlight, his muscles defined and sculpted as if chiselled with the utmost precision. Droplets from the cold glass trickled down his body, tracing paths that Carmina's eyes followed. Her pulse quickened, her breath caught in her throat, her lips parting as she was hypnotized by his form.

"Did you get heatstroke?"

"I-I've s-seen b-better."

"Mhm... I get it," he murmured, setting aside his cold drink in a heartbeat before joining her in the water. Carmina took a few steps back, but he circled her in his arms, gently pressing her against the pool's edge. He was so close, she could almost taste the faint hint of his frozen coffee. Her thoughts drifted dangerously to the idea of how his chilly touch might feel against hers. Reluctantly, she tore her gaze away from his lips, but his eyes stayed focused on hers, filled with only one desire - to taste them. "Can I kiss you?" It was more like a whisper, but she heard it clearly - a request full of desperation.

There was only one possibility. She pushed him away, escaping from his strong arms, and before he could catch her again, she hurriedly swam back to her side, scrambling onto the terrace. "I don't know what you're doing here," she gestured to his suite, "but you've turned my vacation into a real nightmare."

Dae slowly swam over to her side, his laughter already getting on her nerves. "I've gotten used to your complaining. I rented this suite today. Married couples should live together, right? So now we even share a pool. Awesome, isn't it?"

Carmina grimaced. "Try swimming to my side again, and you'll regret it. Try crawling onto my terrace, and... I'll kill you."

"You're sweet when you're angry, but I have a feeling you're only tough in words."

She glanced towards the safe in her suite. "You'll never know."

For the first time, Dae felt uneasy. "Who are you?" flashed through his mind. "What are you hiding, Carmina?"

***

All day long, it was a true game of cat and mouse. Carmina played the spy, observing him from afar, far enough not to be seen by him, yet close enough to keep him in her sight. Dae clumsily searched for her in various parts of the resort, trying to shake off those who recognized him and tried to drag him into the selfie sessions, asking to sign everything he could. Finally, tired and resigned, he trudged towards the restaurant and she followed him, amused and happy. It was time to meet again. Time for a little hunting.

Carmina casually seated herself at Dae's table, proud that she caught him off guard. He blinked in surprise, speechless. "Wait, what was that?" she hummed. "Ah, I know... Did you get heatstroke?" She grinned, enjoying the bewildered expression on his face. It was her turn to play the game, and she was ready to see how he would react.

"Just a moment!" he muttered, pushing himself up from the table. If only she knew what sort of scoundrel he was, she would have fled in that instant.

"You're risking, you know?" she asked, resigned, as a bouquet of flowers landed abruptly before her.

"For you? I'd wager everything," he replied softly, planting a delicate kiss on her hand, leaving Carmina totally bewildered. How peculiar it is... when the hunter becomes the hunted.

"How long will you keep up this act?"

"Till the end of our stay. That's when I can truly figure things out. Please, try to trust me a little."

"Dae, it's not about trust. You see..."

"Can I get you something to drink?"

"Beer." Dae was faster than a light.

"And for your wife?" The waiter smiled politely, shifting his gaze to Carmina. Dae burst out laughing, while she simply surrendered. Mentally, she was already dissecting him, packing him into boxes, and shipping him off to Korea to be turned into bulgogi. But he couldn't win, not yet.

"The same as for my husband," she chirped, sending him her most beautiful smile.

Daehyun shut his mouth in an instant. He was in shock. Not because she gave in, but because hearing her calling him "husband" awakened a swarm of butterflies in his stomach, ones he didn't even know existed.

She caught his expression and quickly deciphered what just happened. "You want to play?" she thought. "Then let's play."

***

They spent the afternoon together, strolling and chatting along the beach. Eventually, he opened up about his fame, and she listened intently, noticing the clumsy photographers attempting to hide and capture some pictures. So without hesitation, she grabbed Dae's hand. He stopped suddenly, pulling her a little closer. Lowering his gaze, he avoided her eyes.
"I'll fix everything. I promise. I did it to prevent those vultures from writing anything bad about you. I've grown accustomed to it, but you... you didn't deserve any of this."

"I know, Dae" she nudged him softly, earning a cute chuckle.

"Can I go back to my suite through yours? I promise I'll leave right away. You know, just in case they're still following us."

Carmina opened the door without a single word. Returning through her terrace wasn't the easiest way, as Dae could fall into the pool at any moment, but the thought of how he would struggle amused her greatly. They both stepped out onto the terrace together, and Dae looked at her one last time.

A lone strand of hair drifted across her face. Dae, acting on impulse, reached out to tuck it behind her ear. For a moment, he hesitated just before making contact, but strangely, there was no resistance from her. With gentle care, he brushed it away, his fingertips were gliding over her soft skin. Her cheeks felt like velvet beneath his touch as he finally traced the starry freckles. One step closer, then another. She smelled enchanting, like his favourite dessert. And Dae stood rooted to the spot, unable to move, drawn in by her charm.

Nothing, however, lasts forever. A sudden noise from the poolside jolted them both. Without a second thought, Carmina instinctively threw herself towards Dae, shielding him with her body. They tumbled to the wooden floor as the sound of shooting erupted, but not from the weapons; it was the clicking of cameras as the paparazzi captured a scene steamier than anything they would expect.

Dae's hands wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer with an impatient longing. He leaned in, not wanting to waste another moment. He had been dreaming of that kiss since morning. And when their lips finally met, they were surprisingly cool, yet softer than he could have ever imagined. The surge of energy coursing through his body felt undeniably real, awakening every nerve. In that moment, in the chaos of camera flashes and the hard floor beneath them, nothing else existed. It was just him and her, lost in each other's hug. As their kiss deepened, he traced the curve of her lips, seeking entrance. And when, with a soft sigh, she parted them, he knew she had surrendered to him completely.

This strange shiver running through your whole body, smile you cannot control, and this unexplainable urge to cry... is this love?

***

Hidden away from the world in her suite, far from the prying eyes of photographers, they laughed nervously at the situation.

"You goofball, you have no clue what you've done. You don't even know what mess you've gotten us into."

"Then tell me, Carmina, tell me who you are, what are you that much afraid of."

She answered with her silence. Dae pulled her closer.
"We'll figure it out. Just enjoy the moment."

His strong arm embracing her felt so good, having him so close felt so good. But she knew it was wrong. She knew she should lay low. And on top of it all she knew she shouldn't give in.
"You just sealed your fate, Kang Daehyun. It doesn't matter who I am, it doesn't matter who you are. You're done for."

"If I am doomed anyway, let's at least take as much from it as we can."

"One chance. That's all you got."

He kissed her again. "That's all I need."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 1K 55
✧ prequel to The Search for Lily Myers → read that one first! ✧ 7:04 p.m. Wednesday, September 2nd. No one knows it, but at this moment, three thin...
2.1K 112 20
Balei has always yearned for a bit of normalcy in her life. Whether it be school, her work, or romantic relationships, she just wants to get through...
6K 515 12
✨ONC SHORTLIST, HONORABLE MENTION, AND AMBASSADOR PICK✨ Back home in his small town after suffering an accident, U.S. Marine Hayes McAdams tries to f...
475K 26.4K 41
~Bhuva Agarwal~ Meet this bubbly and charming girl who brings a smile on everyone's face. Fiesty yet innocent, sweet yet sarcastic, loyal and stubbor...