Metanoia

By aWrit3s

"But what if I give into the darkness? I am an Mikaelson after all." "Then I'd be by your side and watch you... More

METANOIA
PROLOGUE
I'll never give up Hope

This Year Will Be Different

122 10 0
By aWrit3s

HOPE'S POV:
After I had hurt the monster, I tracked it down to Mystic Falls High School. I had been following a trail of purple blood, and a disgusting smell.

As I entered the school, the spoor stopped at the janitors closet. I looked around and saw no one, so I uttered a spell. "Dissera Portus." The door opened but there was no monster hiding inside. As I tried to look closer suddenly a boy spoke up.

"Aren't you a little short for a janitor?" He said and walked closer to me, I just looked at him weirdly but didn't say anything yet. "It's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to hide out on the first day of school." Of course he's think that. I thought to myself. "Oh, no, I-I wasn't hiding. I-I was, um, uh," think Hope! "I was looking for the principal's office." I said forcing a smile.

"Well, you're in luck. I'm new, too, but I'm pretty sure that's him right behind you." He said pointing to behind me. As I turned around, and tried not to look shocked.

Dr.Saltzman.

"Hi," he said as the guy walked away. "I'm principal Saltzman. Who are you?" He asked me and I just couldn't believe my eyes.

ANGELUS'S POV:
I just walked irritated through the school, first semester had started and everyone being back and drooling over Landon just pissed me off. As I walked into the main room of the school, I overheard Josie's and Landon's conversation. "Hey.. Hi.. you're popular now. Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" I heard them saying and Josie looking a little awkward. "Uh, too popular to still take me to dinner tonight?" She asked. "No. We have to get the first date out of the way sometime, right?" I scoff thinking to myself. Just like you're ten year old flirt skills.

"That was a joke. Yes. I'm excited." Landon quickly said, "oh. Me, too. Uh, do you know where your classes are?" Josie asks, getting out his schedule on a paper out of her bag. Bloody hell, she'll probably hold his hand like a little toddler whining for his mommy. However Landon took his schedule out his pocket. "Yes, on that." Josie's face falls a little. "Oh. Good. You don't need this then. I will... I'll see you at assembly." She said awkwardly. Teenagers, I roll my eyes. And tried not to burst out laughing when they hugged, Landon trying to kiss her goodbye. And god damn. He's actually going to die a virgin. I thought to myself, as I walked away to the assembly.

"This school has survived a difficult year. There were monsters and Triad, and frankly, the headmaster you trusted to keep you safe ended up putting you in more danger. But this year will be different. It's high time this place ran with a little discipline and order. I expect you to work harder than ever before. To be rigorous, to push yourselves. To be perfect. Because I believe every one of you is extraordinary. The students in this room have the power to literally change the world. To whom much is given, much is required, and I am requiring of you to be better than humans ever could. Because the day is coming when we will step out of the shadows, when you will no longer hide yourselves. Because the future is... supernatural." The new headmaster Vladimus spoke. Everyone was clapping whilst I just rolled my eyes at his stupidity. Not that I'd ever admit it. But the British ass licker, made me miss Alaric.

"To that end, I would like to award our Salvatore medal of freedom to the student who single-handedly defeated Malivore, Mr. Landon Kirby." And I clench my jaw, fury buried in my eyes.

What a fucking joke.

HOPE'S POV:
"You are a blank slate, Miss Hope... Marshall. Parents Tom and Kathleen. No transcripts from your last school." Dr.Saltzman said looking at the fake register paper I scrambled together. "I think they must've just gotten packed away or something. Like I said, we move around a lot." I told him, adding more to my lie.

"Mh-mm. Well, if you are gonna be here in Mystic Falls, you have to go to school." I nod, "well, then I guess it's a good thing I'm here, right? Can I go now?" I asked, whilst standing up from the chair. Moving to go to the door to leave his office. "You know, I, uh... I've got two daughters, and I know when they're not telling me something. So, you know, if there's, uh, anything going wrong at home, you know, if you're in any trouble and need to talk, just know I'm here to help, okay?" He said and I had to fight to not break down, yet the slight crack in my voice made it nearly impossible to do so.

"I'm fine." I said and walked away, my breath heavy as I walked into the girls bathrooms. I looked into the mirror trying to calm myself down. I couldn't have a break down, I needed to be strong. Then a voice spoke up from behind me. "Boy problems?"

I looked into the mirror behind me, there was a girl looking at me. "Uh, yeah." I said looking away, not wanting her to see me cry as I was on the verge of doing so. "He's kind of a troll." I muttered, thinking about the monster that had led me to here in the first place.

"Oh, my God, say no more. We'll fix you up and make him jealous. I have an extra shirt in my locker, and I've got hair spray, lip gloss, and new eyeliner." She said putting the make up down, I look at it for a second before looking back at her. "Maya." She said, "Hope." I said. Kind of surprised at how she offered to help. "Thank you, um, weird question, by any chance, have you noticed a terrible smell coming from somewhere inside the school?" I ask wanting to know more about the troll, "I think everyone has."

After getting a make over by Maya. I was now walking into the boys locker room. As I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, I spun around kicking him to the floor, pinning it down, ready with my fist to punch it. When I saw it was Dr.Saltzman.

"All right. Okay, seriously. Who are you?" He panicked from beneath me with his hands up. As I took his hand pulling him up, "ah, okay." He breathed out, turning around to face me. I sigh. "I'm a vampire hunter. And I-I, came across a creature." Dr.Saltzman fixes his suit, trying to look tough. "What kind of creature?"

"A creature that's big enough to flip over an empty bus. It's green, it's ugly and it smells absolutely terrible, so I'm going with a troll? And it's hiding somewhere inside this school." He looks at me suspiciously, "Uh-huh. And how do you know that?" "Because I wounded it." I pointed to the purple stain on the floor, "it's nocturnal, so it hides out during the day. I found a legend that says O just have to pierce it through the heart." And he cuts me off. "Listen, you're not doing anything. Okay? You're just a kid." I narrow my eyes looking at him, just a kid? I saved your ass more times than I could count. I thought annoyed at the comment to myself.

"If there's a monster in my school, I'm gonna take care of it." He said walking away. "No offense. But, um, I've been trying to kill this thing for over a week, and nothing's worked." "Well if you are a vampire hunter, then I'm sure you've heard of Alaric Saltzman? Yeah. I know what I'm doing." He said, and I had to stop myself from getting sassy, "yeah. You're very famous around here, but you're gonna need my help." I said and he turns around. "I have put kids in danger before. And I'm not gonna make that mistake again." The bell rings before I could even say anything back, and Dr.Saltzman started speaking loudly, making me hold back a scoff as I look at him with look that screamed, really?

After brewing a little magic potion, I went down to the basement to find Dr.Saltzman on the floor ready to be squashed by the monster. I rolled the bottle, and muttered a spell "Sol." As a huge light shone from the potion, Dr. Saltzman threw an arrow. "Hope." He said and I used my magic to shoot the arrow into the monster. Killing him in the process.

As I walked closer to see if he's really dead, Dr. Saltzman spoke from behind me. "Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with your troll theory." "Yeah, well, it's nocturnal, so I figured I'd just make some artificial sunlight." I responded. "You didn't— you didn't say you were also a witch." I turned around to face him. "Look, I'm just here to kill this monster. Okay? Then I'll be on my way before this gets any more complicated."

"Um.." we suddenly heard from behind him, and as I looked I saw Maya standing there. "What is that?" She asks looking at the troll.

"The sound was just a busted water pipe. And then Dr. Saltzman," "Principal Saltzman." "My bad. Principal Saltzman turned the water off and took care of everything." Mg compelled Maya. "Wow. Crazy first day, huh?" She asked as I leaned against his desk. "Great. You can head back to class now."  Dr. Saltzman said as Maya walked out of his office.

Just as Mg turned to me, I quickly held my finger up. "Ah. Don't even think about it." As Mg turned to Dr. Saltzman confused he just shook is head. "Uh.. uh, hey, if he trusts you, so do I. Uh, by the way, I don't usually do this. I'm not trying to take anyone's agency or anything, you know?" Mg said and I simply gave a quick somewhat awkward nod as my attention drifted to the door as it opened again, my eyes widened as Angelus walked in. "Tf are you doing here?" He asked somewhat irritated to mg, "I uh Dr. Saltzman asked me to uh help with some compulsion." Mg stuttered, why was he stuttering and seemed nervous around Angelus?

Angelus just narrowed his eyes. And looked at me, my eyes widening a little but I stayed composed. I couldn't let myself slip now, yet he seemed different.. more, colder? No, something was going on with him. He then spoke up, "aren't you supposed to be in class like a little good girl." He said to me, his tone wasn't friendly or anything. Rather sarcastically and as I saw he was eyeing me down, I raised my eyebrow. "Aren't you supposed to knock before you come in like a good boy." I fired back. A little smirk came on his face as he shrugged. And looked back at mg and Dr. Saltzman. Mg quickly turned away, telling Dr. Saltzman something about having a date and walked out quickly, avoiding any contact with Angelus.

Dr. Saltzman looked at him, "so, what brings you here?" He asks him, "perhaps I don't know, the bloody fact, that bird brains got a fucking medal. A medal. For 'defeating'— why are you still here?" He suddenly stopped as he looked at me. I huffed as his irritation started to irritate me. "I don't know maybe because Dr. Saltzman and I were busy, before you decided to make your way into his office and complain about La.. bull crap." I quickly saved myself. He narrowed his eyes before saying something in a low tone to Dr. Saltzman, which he thought I couldn't hear. But well you do have benefits from being the tribrid. "If you get called tomorrow with news that the new headmaster and bird brains got their skull blasted out, don't even try to look for me." He whispered as Dr. Saltzman sighs. "Try to calm down Angelus.." he said concerned as Angelus came me one last look before walking out of his office.

"So, uh, why aren't you headmaster of that other school anymore?" I asked Dr. Saltzman as I stood up from his desk. He sighs. "It's a long story." He chuckled, "oh, uh, okay. I'll be back once school lets out so we can clean up what's probably a dead troll." I said crossing my arms. "You're really not fazed by any of this, are you?" "I-I mean, I-I just think that the story that you told me, about the monsters and the scary black pit, just... makes a lot of sense, I guess. Um, look, I'm really glad to hear that it stopped. I'm sorry that it's happening again." "It's not you're fault." Only if that were true, I thought to myself. And gave a tight little smile. "Now that I know your cover story is a lie, I-I'm assuming Tom and Kathleen aren't real." I shook my head slightly. "The school I used to work at, you'd be welcome there." I let out a small breath, "oh, um... yeah, that sounds amazing. But I'm just passing through." I said as I started walking to the door. "Hey, look, I, uh... I don't really have access to that school's resources anymore, and I'm trying to give my daughters some space. But if these monster attacks are starting up again, I could use the backup. You know, I don't really have anyone else." He said and I looked down. "I work better alone." I said and walked out of his office.

After the whole school cleared out, Dr. Saltzman and I were walking down the basement again. "You know, when we were fighting, how'd I know to throw that bolt to you? It was like muscle memory." He said turning to me. I blinked, "we've fought together before, haven't we?" He suddenly asks. And I started panicking. "What? That seems totally impossible." "Yeah except, I live in a world where a creature named Malivore can erase people from your memory." I blinked as I couldn't say anything to that. "I'll take that as a yes." He said, "even if I told you, it wouldn't change anything. Okay? It wouldn't bring your memories back. It would just be words. Leaving will be easier if you don't know." I said back. "Well, then, don't leave." I frowned at his words. "You told me that the monster attacks had stopped, and then right when I show up, things start happening again. I'm pretty sure I'm the reason. So I can't stay and put all of you in danger." I said walking past him. To where the troll was supposed to be, yet he wasn't there. Only a trace of his blood.

"Um.." I spoke, "okay... so... not a troll." He said looking at me, and I looked back at the blood that was left behind. We started following the blood trail to outside. "Okay, so if it's not a troll, then what else could it be?" I asked as we walked up the stairs of an alley. "I don't know. But it's here. Somewhere. Question is, why?" He asks looking at me. "I'm not sure. I mean, the pattern is that I wound it, and then it runs and hides from me. So it must be sticking to the shadows, waiting for it to get dark." "Well, when the monsters came last time, they were always after something. See if we can figure out what it's looking for." He said and started walking ahead. I nodded, "Okay." And walked behind him. But stopped for a moment when I saw Landon and Josie walking together side by side, talking about something. My heart dropping at the sight, but I forced myself to walk after Dr. Saltzman.

As it was now dark. Dr. Saltzman and I found the monster walking towards Landon, who was listing to music sitting all alone on a bench. I used my magic to throw the monster away from him. "Icaeus." I ran to it punching it in it's face, but it threw me back to the ground. As I tried to spell him again "Ica.." he putted his hand around my mouth and lifted me up. Gross. As it wanted to hurt me, Dr. Saltzman shot arrow into his hand. Making him drop me, as I let out a grunt I stood up again. And saw Dr. Saltzman fighting it. But he also got threw to the ground. "Hey ugly." I said catching his attention. "Incendia." I spelled. Putting his head on fire. Burning his hair, as it was gone we saw a one eyed monster. "New theory. Cyclops." Dr. Saltzman said. As I picked up his crossbow and shot the arrow into it's eye. Killing him and turning him into dust. "Let's get out of here." Dr. Saltzman said taking his crossbow back and running ahead. Just as I was about to leave I turned and saw Landon staring at me. My heart breaking as he couldn't recognise me. And I walked away. Before he could even say anything.

"Look, I, uh, I know you're not gonna stay. Here." Dr. Saltzman said handing over his crossbow. "Take it. Be safe out there." He said as he turned to walk away, but I spoke up. "You're good at this, you know?" "Monster hunting?" He asked looking at me again. "Helping kids." I said looking at him. And he turned away to walk again. "You should keep the beard." I commented before walking away myself.

As I sat on a bench in the town's square, I considered using the crystal again to see Landon. Or Angelus again. But I heard a familiar voice speak up. "Hey." As I turned behind me I saw Landon. "Hey." I said back, "we saw each other earlier, right?" He asks walking closer. "Yeah, uh, I was just out on a walk to clear my head." I lied looking at him. "Rough night?" He asks. "Uh, yeah, actually, uh... Relationship trouble." I nodded at him. "Must be contagious." "Why, you too?" I asked and he nodded, whilst he sat down besides me. "Yeah. I'm with this really amazing girl, but all of a sudden, everything's super complicated." He said. "Huh." I said, not being able to say anything else, due to how badly my heart was breaking in that moment. "You?" He asks. "Oh, uh.." I breathed out. "Uh, old story, I guess, uh... Fell for a guy who doesn't even know that I exist." I said with a forced smile as tears were already coming into my eyes. "Huh." He laughed. "That's classic." I nodded. "Yeah." I said looking away.

"She is really great, but I just feel like I want it to be perfect, and..." I nod looking at him again. "Yeah." I said with a small crack in my voice, I couldn't cry now. I just had to hold back as he continued talking about Josie. "...and I want to be the perfect boyfriend, and she's trying to be the perfect girlfriend, and it was really effortless, but now it feels so... off. I don't know. Sorry." He said, and I had to try harder to hold back my tears. "No, uh... you know, um, a very smart boy once taught me that sometimes you have to be brave enough to be imperfect with people... even if it's scary." I said, my voice breaking. Keep it together Hope! I thought to myself. "Yeah." He chuckled. "Of course, you're gonna have to take your own advice and tell that boy of yours that you exist." I looked at him, but looked away when a tear fell and quickly wiped it away. "Uh... Oh. I don't know about that." I said, desperately holding my tears back from falling even more. "I hope your night gets better." He said and stood up. "Thanks." I said in a whisper. My voice laced with pain. "Thanks for listening." He said before walking away. As he was far enough I started crying. Letting the tears fall as I looked up.

I then heard a pair of footsteps behind me again, but I just face Landon so I didn't look his way. But then he spoke, it wasn't Landon. Angelus. "Why is a pretty girl like you crying in the middle of the night all alone?" He asks as he walked in front of me. He had a drink in his hand as he slightly tilted his head to the side. As I wiped away my tears. "I, uh.. boy drama." I said with a cracked voice. Trying to wipe away the evidence of me crying. "Did bird— Landon give you a hard time? I saw you two talking. If so, just say it. I would absolutely love another reason to bash his skull in." He said his anger flared up, yet he still tried to comfort me in some twisted way. I chuckled as I shook my head. "Oh, uh, no.. that won't be necessary. Why, uh, do you even have a reason to hurt him?" I ask looking at him as he sat down besides me. "Enough, that you shouldn't be needing to worry about." He said to me as he looked at me, and I nodded as silence fell between us. It felt nice having him next to me again, being somewhat comforted by him even though he didn't know who I was.. or rather who I was to him before it all. "So, I never really got your name, earlier in Saltzmans office." He spoke quietly as he looked at me. "Oh, uh, Hope." I said with a small smile. He nodded, "Angelus." He said back and I nod, pretending like I didn't know that already. "So what's with the boy drama hm?" He asks and I chuckled, he didn't really change with his curiosity to know everything that interested him. "Oh, uh, fell for a guy that doesn't know I exist. A classic, really." I said looking at him, his eyes seemed more red, his skin paler and his hair more messy than I could remember. "You should make a grand introduction, I'll bet he'll never forget you then." He said grinning. And I chuckled. "I- I don't know about that." I said in a whisper. And he looked at me before hesitating to do something, but eventually his hand connected gently with my cheek as he wiped away a tear that I missed. As he placed his hand back into his lap. I let out a soft gasp as the sudden touch. "You shouldn't be crying over s boy.. that's probably not even worth a second in your mind." He said sincerely. And then frowned looking down, seeming lost in his own thoughts.

I was shocked, I didn't expect him to be so gentle? "Why are you out here?" I asked looking at him, and he let out a dry chuckle. It seemed sad? "I don't know. I- I'm not really in the best place right now so, I though let me try a midnight stroll. See if that'll help." He muttered playing with his ring, something he always did when he was hiding something or was getting in a bad place again. "Did it help?" I asked softly and he just shook his head. And I nodded, not really saying anything as I couldn't say or do anything without him knowing, I wasn't exactly just some stranger. "But I guess, I found you again. And saw fucking Landon, but I suppose I could get over that." He grumbled a bit annoyed. What happened that he was even more heated against Landon? "Why are you so agitated with him?" I ask looking at him playing with his ring. "Because he's—" he lets outa sigh. "He's a liar, and someone I just don't get along with." He eventually responded. Liar? Ironic since you're lying to me now. I thought to myself, but he probably wouldn't say it for obvious reasons so I couldn't really blame him. "Well, do you get along with anyone? Because back in Principals Saltzman office, Mg did seem afraid of you." I said looking into his eyes. He looks back at me and shrugs. "I'm here talking to you aren't I?" He responded a little teasingly and I chuckled. He always knew how to cheer me up. "Alright.. fair enough I suppose." He nods and looks up at the sky before letting out a sigh and stands up. "I should probably get back, curfew has already passed and well I don't need anymore trouble." He said with a tired look, and I nodded. But before he could walk away he handed me his drink. "Here, this might cheer you up. Peanut butter blast, whipped cream on the bottom. It's probably all melted by now. I didn't have any of it, I don't know why I ordered it but.. yeah." He said shrugging a little. "Oh.." I said softly looking at it. "Goodnight Hope." He said before walking away. "Goodnight.. Angel." I whispered softly.

I walked into Dr. Saltzman office, seeing him still working there. Typical. I knocked on his door and he looks up, I fidgeted a little with my ring, a habit I might've gotten from Angelus, as I spoke up. "Um... My name's not Hope Marshall. It's Hope Mikaelson." I said coming clean to him. He looks confused at me. "I'm Klaus and Hayley's daughter." He looks at me as he stood up from his chair and walked closer to me, tears brimming in my eyes again as my voice cracked. "And I know you don't remember this, but, um... you're the closest thing I have to a father now. And the entire world had forgotten that I exist, and the boy I love has moved on, and my best friend doesn't even recognise me when I need him to hold me, or tell me that everything will be okay. So I have absolutely no idea what to do next." I said crying. He lets out a sigh. "It's okay. We'll figure it out together." He said and I hugged him, crying into his shirt. Hoping that'll all be okay. That everyone will remember me again.

Author's note;

Don't be an silent reader, let me know what you think. I'll be writing more from now, I apologise for the long wait.

The chapters will from now on be written in only Hope's or Angelus's povs. I realized it was quite messy in the first chapter. So I might also be rewriting that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.3K 1.1K 25
𝙳𝚎𝚜𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚙𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚞𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗...
589K 17.3K 52
❝ 𝘀𝗵𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗺𝗼𝗼𝗻𝗯𝗲𝗮𝗺𝘀 𝘀𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗹𝘆. ❞ some of this is cringe but idc hope mikaelson x oc © -natalics 2020
130K 4.5K 22
Hope never imagined she would ever find her mate nevertheless two of them. She will fight to the death to make sure nothing happens to them or their...
90.5K 2.6K 15
It's finally over. I saved the world of Supernatural. Triad is no longer operating illegally and Malivore is now back to being a pile of mud. I knew...