Nightingale

By bl00drevila

Untold truths that must not be told. Over the centuries he had kept the truth away from her. For her safety... More

Nightingale
Proem
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7

Chapter 6

4 2 0
By bl00drevila

stranger

While washing the vegetables in the sink, I kept hesitating to reflect on last night. I breathed and went on to fetch the wood and knife. I picked up the veggies and started to cut.

Somehow last night feels like a dream. Because everything went back to normal, except that Nikolai kept ignoring me.

This morning has been odd recently. My headaches had subsided, but everything appeared to be too clear, the sunlight was too bright even inside the house, and it was somehow too loud. It has never gone like that before. Or perhaps Grandma is right; I am recovering.

I gazed in front of me at the window. The gloomy sky still travels to this town, after the storm countless heavy rains at night occurred. The trees dance win the breeze, and I sigh.

The corpses were assumed to be murdered, according to the town's chiefs; it could not have been an accident. They buried them in the cemetery and kept seeking the killer. Many people assume that it was the man who lived at the end of the forest. 

Because there have been a few allegations of the man being hostile and harmful to the hunters. However, without proof, they cannot take him.

I tried not to think about it. The horror that had been glimpsed by my eyes cannot contain the sorrow and pain it cause to my heart. I just hope it won't happen again.

I felt Grandma's presence, I heard the oven had been lifted down. I can hear the smoke emerging from it.

"Is the carrots done, my dear?"

I faced her and nods.

"Here," 

I said before putting the knife down and collected the carrots that I have been cut into cubes and put it in  a small bowl. I walked straight to Grandma to gave it to her.

She placed the tray on the table before closing the oven. She take off the gloves and took the bowl from me.

"You can taste it. Though, it's still hot so be careful,"

Grandma point out at the pie, I gazed at it. It's a blue berry pie. I tapped my finger on the table, I pursed my lips.

I feel like throwing up while looking at it and I don't know why. My forehead creased, maybe I'm just not hungry for now.

"Uhm, it's ok I'm not hungry yet, let's just wait until it cools off,"

I grabbed the gloves Grandma had set on the table and took the pie. I approached the window to place the pie. I went back to work and chopped the remaining vegetables. 

"I already collected yours and Nikolai's remaining clothes, it's in that basket,"

I looked at the basket near the stairs.

"I'll wash them. Where can I get the soap?"

"Don't worry I already put it in there,"

I nodded while cutting the potatoes.

"Just make sure to not use too much of it, it's a bit strong,"

I looked up when I suddenly sense something. Nikolai emerged from the woods holding a basket.

I hissed when I accidently cut my self. I immediately dropped the knife and held my hand.

"Are you ok?"

I blinked and watched as the blood stream down the sink.

I glanced at her. 

"Y-Yeah just a-"

I looked down at my hand and opened it to view the wound. My brows met when I noticed there was no cut.

"Small cut...."

How?

I gulped. I opened the faucet and let the cold water touch my skin.

"You've cut yourself, where?"

I heard her footsteps I immediately closed the water and clutch my hand down.

"Uh, don't worry, it's nothing,"

I inhaled hoping that she won't come nearer.

"You sure?"

The door beside me suddenly opened. I felt Nikolai's presence. I begin to put the veggies in each bowl and as soon he walked towards me I turned around. He put the basket on the sink while watching me walk away.

"I'll be headed out,"

I said, moving towards the basket. I can feel the pit of my stomach. Grabbing the basket, I moved past him and went outside.

I breathed as I felt anxious. Heading at the river the cold breeze passes but somehow the coldness didn't affect me.

I sat down staring at the stream. The sound of it lingers in my ear. I can hear the singing birds and the rustling leaves. I closed my eyes and breathed in.

I'll just let this pass for a while and maybe everything will be back to normal.

I begin to scrub the clothes letting the dirt washed away by the stream. A strand of hair fall down on my face, I breathed put and tried to fix my hair. I decided to put it in a bow. I heard some rustles at the corner I immediately looked up.

Maybe there's a deer roaming around. I return to my work. I let out a heavy sigh as I can't get him out of my head.

I can't look at Nikolai, I even can't mutter a word at him this morning. He's been putting himself in a busy state, he even went to the village alone.

I just wanted to understand him, but I think he didn't want me to be concern.

But the way he ignores me somehow makes my chest feel heavy. 

There are still things I don't know about him.

But I want to know him better...

I gasped when the the dress caught by the stream.

"No,"

I immediately stood up to catch it, but a hand in a black glove grabbed the dress.

I blinked as a man in a long brown leather coat standing not far away from me. He's in the other side of the river. He stared at me with a sly smile on his face.

"Caught it,"

The man has a alluring deep voice. I can't seem to see his eyes with his dark glasses.

"U-Uhm, thank you,"

He chuckled and started walking slowly at his left towards the forming rocks in the river.

"You're quite a hard-working and beautiful young lady,"

I watched him as he crossed the river with his black boots. I grabbed my skirt.

"You must have carry a lot of this in this lonely forest,"

He said while grazing his eyes everywhere.

"Ah, and the weather's still murky and cold, I don't like it,"

I narrowed my eyes. He don't look familiar. His clothing looks like his from an upper class. He have a long wavy dark hair, he's tall like Nikolai, his mustache is hanging in his chin and upper lip, he also wears a black hat.

But why would a man like him doing in a forest like this?

"Quite charming éh," He breathed out.

"I miss the sunshine and the breeze of summer air, still good in my skin."

He walked towards me. The smirk never left his face.

"I guess your enduring the coldness too, looks like the rain will come back today,"

He looked up I can hear the small sound of the thunder. I looked at the dress still hanging in his hand. I gulped.

"If you're seem lost the village is just over there," I looked behind me pointing at the direction.

"How sweet of you,"

I gasped as he was so near in front of me. I can feel my heartbeat swiftly changed in beat.

"I adore your kindness young lady, it seems that I'm indeed lost because I can't seem to find my destination in this forest,"

He said with a playful laugh.

"What's your name my dear?"

I stared at the shadow of his glasses. I opened my mouth but there's nothing coming out. Something feels strange.

"No worries you don't need to answer that question. You look pale my darling...."

He slowly grab a strand of my hair I watched it as he placed it at the back of my ear. I can feel the war in my stomach and the coldness on my palm.

His hand stopped in the corner of my neck. My eyebrows met and I glanced at him. He has this amusement in his face.

"Ah...yet another one, éh?"

I blinked.

"I-I think I should be heading back now," I mumbled.

"That's why you look so familiar,"

I looked at him with confusion.

I grabbed the dress from him and tried to avert from his touch.

"Thank you, but I think they're looking for me now,"

I said while packing.

"Let me help you then,"

"It's ok you don't need to,"

I tried to let myself be busy but fast.

"It's getting dark let me walk you home,"

"I think she don't need to repeat herself,"

I paused when I heard a familiar voice. I looked up and saw Nikolai standing behind the stranger. He was staring intently at the stranger's back.

The man smiled and slowly faced him.

"You finally showed up, didn't actually think you'll be here too,"

Do they know each other?

"Looks like you know this young lady..."

I picked the basket and I slowly stepped back.

"Is she someone I'm thinking of?"

I jumped when I felt his presence behind me.

"Because it'll be quite obvious of you,"

A laugh escaped from his mouth.

My eyes rounded when I turned and saw Nikolai strangling his throat.

"Cool down, Nikolai," the man speak.

"I wouldn't dare you to even land a hand on her or I will not hesitate to tore your arm apart,"

My breathing started to get heavy, I want to stop him.

The man raised both of his hands.

"Aight! What you say mate! Just offering some help,"

"Nikolai, don't"

I manage to let out some words.

Nikolai's resting hand form into a fist, he slowly let go of the man. The stranger's smile grew even wider.

"Go and never look back,"

I stared at his back, I blinked. He glanced at me.

"Do you understand?"

He said while looking at my eyes.

I inhaled and slowly nod. I begin to walk away and headed back. 

Don't look back

Don't look back

Don't look back

I rushed out of the forest, but the growing fear held me back. No, I must leave as he said; he is there just behind me. He will come back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 8 12
Hoping to shake this human off once and for all, I twisted my body around rapidly with a plan to put my words into action. When I was on my way to pu...
1.1M 8.6K 9
WARNINGโ€ผ๏ธThis book contains abstruse topics such as Dark Love, Abuse, Violence etc if you are not comfortable with the above please feel free to swip...
267 31 30
The story of bullying and romance and gangs. And abuse. It shows how any life can get out of hand. "My boyfriends father is choking me! Because I wo...
5.2K 271 13
โ„ข This book is now self published through Amazon Kindle under the same name โ„ข Dear Erik, I'm sorry I couldn't tell you everything, after that day at...