Hiding My Heart

By J_abbis

Deidre -Dee- Johson has had a rough life. A mother who is a drunk, a father who ditched out on her and her br... More

Hiding My Heart
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epliogue
Bonus - We Owned the Night
Authors Note on Sequel

Chapter 26

20.7K 569 164
By J_abbis

"Well, this is one of the better hotels in this city." Sasha says moving into the small room. I guess that's true based off of the hotels we saw on our ride up here, all crummy looking and not safe.  

It was still small and held two small beds, a small table and tv. We got to the hotel a little before four; the concert was at seven leaving us two hours to get ready since Sasha wanted to be at the arena an hour early. 

"Dibs on shower," I yell running to the bathroom, not even bothering to unpack my bag. We were going to be here until the morning, and leaving as soon as we got up so there really was no need to unpack my things. 

Undressing and jumping into the warm shower I started washing my body of the dirty feeling I had. I may have been sitting in a car all day but I still felt dirty when we had to stop at some run down gas stations so we could use the bathroom. Honestly the most disgusting thing I had encountered. Sasha comes in a little while later shouting at me to hurry it on up. 

After washing my hair and body I grab one of the towels and wrap it around my body, allowing her to take over the bathroom for her shower. Putting my iPod on I went to the playlist that Sasha made especially for this night, all of Hunter Hayes songs. Drying off I hum along to the music and change into the outfit Sasha had provided for me. A pair of jeans that fit just right, a pair of dark cowgirl boots and a white lacy t-shirt that fit just a little too tight, as cute as it was it made me feel like the old me. She even provided me with a cowgirl hat. I laugh and toss it aside. 

Sasha may like hip hop music and the top hits but she loved country music all the more. Even enough to dress up as a cowgirl for the night when we both know she is anything but. She does look cute in country clothes, but she is just too modern and too stylish to dress like a cowgirl. She is one of those girls that talks fashion and knows all the name brands. I'm pretty sure she has some designer clothes. She could be a model with how pretty she is and the clothes she wears. 

I let my hair air dry into its natural waves and decide on my make up just as Sasha steps out of the bathroom and rushes to get dressed in the white lacy dress, jean over jacket and cowgirl boots, yes along with the hat too.  

"Keep your hair like that." Sasha says to me after she gets dressed and starts brushing her hair. "It may get hot in the arena but I could always put it in a bun for you later, it looks cute when you let it air dry into your natural waves." She says and I nod. "Oh and, not too much makeup, you'll just sweat it off." She advices. 

I nod and take her advice with only putting mascara and eyeliner on with a small dab of clear lip gloss. No concealer for me, I rather not clog up my pores. 

"Man I am not looking forward to the drive back." I groan out lying on the bed I had called mine. 

"Me either, it was a pain sitting that long." Sasha agrees finishing putting her hair up in a cute messy bun, and started on her make up. 

"You know we can always just stay one more day here." I say, "Since it's only Friday, we can just lazy around tomorrow then leave early Sunday morning."  

She thinks it over for a bit before sighing. "Preston would kill me if I didn't have you back tomorrow. He's been dying just to have you and him time." She says. 

I nod, well so much for my plan. But then I brighten at the thought of spending the day with Preston. No interruptions he said, just the two of us. Right then I just didn't want to be here any longer than necessary. 

"How long do you think the concerts going to be?" I ask sitting up. 

She shrugs and looks at her watch. "Well it could be to two to three hours long. It depends on the opening act." She says. 

"Who's opening again?" I ask looking at my ticket but only finding Hunter Hayes name. 

"Dustin Lynch I think." She says finishing up her eyes and dabbing lip gloss on. "Ready to go?" She asks and I nod. 

We decide to put our bags back in the trunk of the car, we didn't exactly trust leaving our things at the hotel. So with our bags repacked we left to the arena, jamming out to Hunter Hayes. I still had this awful feeling about tonight but didn't dwell on it for long; Sasha's squeal and excitement were good enough of a distraction to put my mind at ease. But just in case I did bring my can of pepper spray. 

"Oh my gosh, this is amazing." Sasha breaths once we are parked and are following the mass of girls towards the front entrance. 

"It is, I haven't been to a concert since my sister took me to the first Katy Perry concert." I mumble. 

I loop my hand through hers as we get more and more lost in the crowed, I did not want to lose her right now. That would be bad. 

Once we make it through the front entrance we wonder around the arena looking for our section. We got pretty good seats, a little rows back from the floor seating; the stage was directly in front of us. Sasha couldn't help but let out yells just like the mass of girls around us once we make it to our seat. 

"Did you want to get water before the show starts?" I asked, or well yelled to her. I knew how bad your throat could get after watching a concert if you don't drink water. 

"Don't they have a guy coming around and offer water?" She asks. 

I shake my head. "You're thinking of baseball games." I say. 

"Then sure, we know where our seats are now so it should be a quick trip." She says looking at her watch, fifteen minutes until the show starts. 

I nod and we leave tickets in hand to go grab water and some snacks for later. We had our dinner before we reached our hotel, but I was starting to get hungry again. Stands were up everywhere as soon as we entered the halls. Food, drinks, beer, and t-shirts were being sold. I laughed when I remember how we bought all the girls a shirt that said 'Someone who really loves me bought me this shirt from Portland Oregon' it was better than the other ones they had and they only cost five dollars each. 

"Man this is so exciting." Sasha says paying for her drink and bag of chips.  

I nod and order water for myself along with some gummy worms. "I can't wait for the show to start." I agree as I hand over some money and take the change and my bag of goodies. 

"Hopefully the opening act doesn't take too long; I want to see my man." Sasha laughs making me roll my eyes. She seriously has an unhealthy obsession with Hunter Hayes voice and his music. Every time one of his songs comes on she sighs dreamily and says he has a way with words.  

"Don't worry; you'll get your eye candy soon." I tease as we make it to our chairs once more. The stands are more crowded than they were before, the chairs next to ours filled with squealing girls and reluctant boyfriends. 

The lights dimmed little by little making the crowed go wild. Sasha screamed and held onto my arm hard. I winced and tried to pry her hand away from my own but it was no uses so I was forced to jump along with her and act like a total idiot. 

A moment later music began to play a song by the opening act Dustin Lynch. 

"Welcome everybody!" he shouts in his mic making the sea of people scream and shout. "I know you just want to hear from the man of the hour, you all know who I'm talking about." He says and we scream again. "And don't worry; I won't keep you too long from him. So here it goes, we'll start off a little slow, just to get you all worked up." He says as the band begins to shift the music to a slower tune. 

I sigh and sway with Sasha as his voice sings through the microphone. I knew most of his songs from the radio so I sang along with Sasha and danced with her once the music got a little more upbeat and he pulled away from all his slow songs. The crowed was something else, all singing and screaming at him in pure excitement. Almost everyone was on their feet dancing and swaying to the music. The people who were lucky enough to get floor seating were jammed up close to the stage, dying to get a hold of Dustin's outstretched hands. 

His voice was smooth and deep and the vibrations from the instruments made my feet tingle as I jumped, swayed and sang. I felt so good and so excited to be here. Forgetting about the mess that is left at home and all the worry. It was nothing but here and now in my mind. Creating happy memories with my best friend. 

And I didn't know how loud the arena was until the man of the hour, Hunter Hayes stepped out on stage shouting and telling us how awesome we were for coming out tonight. I screamed my head off right alongside of Sasha. She was right of course; his words and voice were music to my ears. Though I do love Josh Turners voice just a little bit more. Hunter Hayes' voice was smooth and so innocent and real it made me scream and sing along to his songs that much more. 

I didn't realize how much I had to pee until my water was all gone and I was about to finish off Sasha's as well. Not wanting to miss the show, but not wanting to pee my pants I had to do the only thing I could. It was halfway through his show and I wasn't sure if they were going to do a little break then get going again. 

"I have to go to the restroom. I'll be back ok?" I shout at Sasha, who looks over at me with wide eyes. 

"I'll come with." She insists but I shake my head at her. 

"I'll be fine; there was a bathroom just outside the doors. Don't worry I'm sure there are other girls using the restroom and if not then I have my can of pepper spray." I assure her. 

She looks doubtful but nods her head and gives me my ticket so I could get back in. Turning I rush out of the section and into the halls, taking the stairs two at a time. Just as promised there was a bathroom right across the hall, but unfortunately the line went all the way back, there was no way I was going to stand in line when I was about to burst. 

So knowing if I just follow the large hallway all the way around I would stumble upon another bathroom, hopefully with a smaller line or with no lines at all. So humming to myself and still hearing all the screaming I knew that there wasn't going to be a break anytime soon. 

The hallways weren't as crowded as they were before the show began. The only people I really saw were the people working their stands and a few girls either finding a restroom or going to buy something. It took a few minutes but I finally located another bathroom, the line was a lot smaller, only three girls standing waiting for one of the stalls to open up. So not wasting any more time I got in line behind one of the girls.  

I looked confused for a moment when the girl in front of me tenses up just slightly when I get in line. She has blonde hair and is wearing all black; there was nothing country about her. She kept her head down and her back towards me. I figured she was just one of those girls who don't like to be bothered she got out her phone and started texting. So I just stood behind her awkwardly as we shuffled closer in to the stalls. 

When the girl was able to get into a free stall I felt myself relax. She gave me the impression that I didn't want to mess with her, that she was trouble. I didn't try to dwell on it too much and my attention was diverted when a stall door opened up. I rush in and do my business; thank goodness I barely made it in time.  

Finishing up I get out of the stall and go to the mirror and wash my hands. When I go to look up I jump when I see someone standing behind me their face in the mirror. It was the blonde girl from before. She's just staring at me with her brown eyes. I have never seen her before in my life, her blonde hair was pulled into a pony, her nose perfectly straight and her lips turned into a grimace. 

"Who are you?" I ask feeling uncomfortable with all the staring that she's doing. I turn to leave when she doesn't answer my question, the bad feeling coming back once more. 

But I wasn't fast enough she grabs my wrist and twist it behind my back. 

"Hey-" I go to shout for help when her other hand covers my mouth. I struggle against her hold but it's unbreakable, it doesn't loosen at all. 

My other hand claws at her hand, trying to pry it away from my mouth but that doesn't work. She forces me to move forward, out the door. She hesitates for one moment before forcing me to run down the deserted hallway, and then took a left hand turn then another down another hallway until the lighting went dim and I couldn't hear the shouts and scream or music anymore. Once we were far away she pushes me out of her hold and onto the floor. 

"What the hell!" I shout standing up about to attack her when I voice comes from behind me. 

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. It's going to take more than a slap to bring her down." I freeze at the sound of his voice.  

I feel the color drain from my face, my eyes going wide as I turn oh so slowly to meet my eyes with the boy who ruined my life. 

"What are you doing here?" I hiss at him, feeling my hands ball up in fists as he steps towards me. I go to step back but the girl holds me in place looking bored out of her mind. 

"I told you, you are mine." He whispers caressing the side of my cheek. "You didn't believe me when I told you; repeatedly I would be seeing you soon." He says. 'And look, here we are." He spins around to the deserted hallways. "Alone, well almost, you don't have any of your protectors around Dee, not one of them in site." He says grinning like a fool. 

"What do you want Jared? You honestly had to be that much of a creep to get a girl to bring me to you? For you to follow me to this concert just to talk to me?" I ask my hands flaring all over the place. I felt my heart hammer into my chest with fright, but I told myself that I was done being afraid of him. That I wouldn't let him beat me or scare me anymore. I had to stay strong and not let my weakness show. 

"Oh Dee, it's so much more than that." He promises stepping up and tracing my lips. I turn my head away from him, not allowing him to touch me. 

"What do you mean?" I ask backing up once more only to get stopped and pushed forward, into Jared's arms. I feel sick as he holds onto my waist hard. 

"I'm here to take you to the bad guys." He grins menacingly. I choke on my own spit at his words. I stare him with a dumbfounded expression, my eyes going wide and my mouth hanging open in shock.  

"Take me to whom?" I ask not wanting to believe who I think it is. I don't want to face the reality just yet. 

"To the bad guys, the rogues," He grins. "Oh that reminds me." He says flipping his phone open and dialing a number. 

"You'll never get away with this, you know that right. Once Preston knows I'm gone-" He interrupts me with an icy glare. 

"We've got her, start the attack. We will be there in the morning." Is all he says before he hangs up. His words make my heart jump to my throat as panic sets in. 

"What did you do?" I shout horrified. 

"We just started an attack on your sweet little boyfriend sweetheart." He says bringing me close so our bodies molded together. "Now it can be just you and I babe. No more pathetic creep in the way." He says swooping his head down and pressing his lips on mine hard and rough. I scream and claw at his face, trying to get his disgusting mouth away from me. 

"How can you do this?" I shout when I have successfully pulled away. "How can you work for such disgusting things?" I spit in his face. "They are just using you, don't you see that they will kill you the instant you hand me over. Their rogues! That's all they do is destroy." I shout struggling against him once more. 

"Oh Dee," He says cupping me cheek making me want to vomit. "I've worked something's out with the alpha already. You see when I had fled town the day after we made sweet love-" I spit in his face at that. 

"That was rape you monster." I hiss at him about to puke up my dinner. 

He ignores me and simply continues his little tale. "I had to get away, your brother never approved of me and knowing what we did set him off. So I left here to Portland where I had bumped into someone. Manson, who actually seek me out, knowing that I knew you, he told me that if I help them get you I can have whatever I wanted." He grins down at me and pecks me on the lips making grimace and pull back even more. 

"And I told them, that I wanted you." I growl at this and struggle even more. 

"We don't have time for this; we have to get to the van before someone finds her missing." The girl snaps behind us.  

"Her friend won't even know she's missing. Shut the hell up." He snaps back at her and looks down at me. 

"Why does this alpha want me?" I ask, thinking that I could get enough information out of him then make my escape, my hand already resting on my hip close to my pocket where my pepper spray is. 

"Because you're his Dee, you belong to him." He snorts at this. "Though I did talk to the guy, told him he can have you in his little pack to help rule by his side and all this other junk-" 

"He wants me to rule by his side? Like a Luna?" I ask confused. "Wait, you actually saw him in his human form-" 

"Not like his Luna." He growls out his fingers digging into my skin making me wince. "You are mine!" He shouts in my face making my bones shake. "You will just help him out; do his dirty work or whatever. But in exchange of me helping him I get you, we will be married and-" 

"You're delusional!" I shout in his face. "You all are!" I say finally getting out of his hold and backing away from the two of them. "You honestly think that I will go with you willingly?"  

"You have no choice. Now that your little boyfriend is being attacked he will focus more on that, and you're here. Left defenseless against us. We aren't the only ones here to come get you Dee. Now hurry along, we have a long drive ahead of us." Both he and the girl make a move to come grab me. 

But I don't allow that to happen, as quick as a flash I grab the can of pepper spray, twist the cap and press down, shooting it in both their eyes. I hear their scream as I take off down the hallway knowing I only have a few seconds before they come after me. Running down the hall and taking the turn she pushed me through I sprinted as fast as I could as I hear cussing and footsteps follow after me. 

Turning in the halls I almost make it to the main hall when I crash into something hard. I scream and fall backwards hitting the ground hard. I scramble to get up, pepper spray in hand and ready to use but Sasha's voice stops me. 

"What the hell Dee!" She shouts standing up looking around the hallways. I turn around wide eyed and panicked the way I came. But I don't hear anything or see anything. They just disappeared. "I've been looking for you forever! When you didn't come back I was worried and sniffed you out, only to come by a rogue scent in the bathroom!" She screams at me grabbing my hand and hurrying us away. 

"Is she still in the hallway? I tried to track you, I thought I got to you late and you would have gone. Then I got message through the link telling me that the pack is being attacked and I needed to get you to the hotel where it's safe. And I thought that maybe another rogue who was in the area had gotten a whiff of you and wanted you too-" She huffs out and I just follow after her, too shocked to say anything. 

"It's Jared." I finally say interrupting her. 

"What?" she whirls around and looks at me. "No, it wasn't his scent I smelt-" 

"He's the human, the one helping the rogues. Oh Gosh!" I shout when I remember him telling me more about what the alpha wanted with me. 

"What! That can't be right I smelt-" She stops. "I never got his scent around school." She whispers her eyes wide. "How can I have missed it?" She cried her arms flaring all over the place. 

"We have to tell Preston, we need to get you safe-" She says but we are interrupted by someone running up to us. Grant. 

"Let's go." He growls out grabbing both mine and Sasha's hand and running us to the front exit, ignoring all the looks we were getting form people. 

I stared at him shocked that he was here. Why was he here? I turn to Sasha to see if she knew anything about this but by her shocked expression I would have to say no. When we are out in the parking lot he takes us straight to Sasha's car and yells at us to get in. 

We both do as he tells us to without a word. He takes the driver's seat and gets the keys from Sasha while we both slide in the back seat and put our seatbelts on. 

"S_it!" He shouts as we peel out of the parking lot and unto the highway, going to our hotel. "This can't be happening right now!" He yells banging his hand on the steering wheel. 

"Grant what are you doing here?" I ask my eyes wide and a little scared at seeing him this way. 

"I was told to follow you too. F_ck!" He shouts making me flinch. 

"But why-" 

"Preston didn't want you two going to the city alone, he had me follow you and to make sure nothing happened to either of you. And everything was going fine, until I couldn't get into the stupid concert and was forced to wait out into the parking lot." 

"The pack, we are under-" 

"I know, the rogues made their move, we have no idea why though." He growls out. "They shut me out of the link, I don't have no idea what the hell is going on." He growls out taking the exit for our hotel. 

I gasp when I see a red van follow after us. Jared. "You can't go to the hotel!" I shout when he goes to pull in. 

"Why not-" 

"They are following us! There is a van behind us full of rogues. They will attack once we are stopped, please don't stop!" I shout. 

"How do you know this?" Grant growls accelerating and shooting right past the hotel. 

"The rogue who took me in the arena told me they were taking me to the alpha. They followed me here." I explained in rush words. "Oh my f_ck" I scream. "Watch out Grant." I point to the changing light; we barely zoom by the red light before the approaching cars could smash into us. At least we lost the van. I hope. 

"They told me they had others waiting in the van for me." I finish. "They said they created the attack as a diversion. They thought no one followed us, that they could get rid of Sasha quickly then take me away without anyone noticing. Preston would be too busy dealing with the attack to worry about me." 

"S_it." He shouts taking a right and barreling down the street. "We have to go back-" 

"We can't, it's too dangerous." Sasha argues. "Preston told me to keep Dee away from home." 

"Well in case you haven't noticed we are being followed and can't really stop anywhere safe. Driving on the highway is a hell of a lot safer than sitting somewhere like ducks waiting for the enemy to track us down." He shouts back at her, swerving the car onto another road, away from town. 

"You're going the wrong way." I point out. 

He doesn't have time to reply because the next thing we know a wolf jumps out onto the street. I hiss out a string of cuss words as the car breaks and swerves to miss it. 

Grant cuss and look back at the wolf, which is now joined up with three others. He mutters something before accelerating once more. 

"Dee I need you to do something for me ok?" He asks rather calmly. 

I swallow and shake my head; I can't do whatever he asks me to do. I'm too scared to function right now. 

"I need you to drive the car ok? Sasha and I are going to get out and deal with the wolves-" 

"Are you crazy?" I hiss, "You can't take four wolves, they will kill you before you have a chance."  

"We don't have a choice Dee." He shouts looking at me from the rearview mirror. "I need you to drive back into town; don't stop the car for anything. I want you to go into the Starbucks on 3rd and main, ask for Carol. She's my sister and a werewolf, you can trust her Dee. She will keep you safe I swear to you. Wait there until we get back. If we don't come back within an hour stay with Carol, she lives at the pack house here." He rushes out as he stops. "Fifteen seconds to get this car moving." 

Then he's out the door slamming shut once more. "Sasha-" I begin but she's gone too, stripping her clothes off as she transfers into her wolf. I curse and jump in the front seat and hit the gas, swerving the car right unto a busy street. 

My heart pounds in my chest as I remember his instructions and try to read the signs to get a better clearing of where I'm at. All I had to do was get onto main street and then go down until I reach 3rd. Noticing I was going a little too fast I slow down to make it look more casual, just so I wouldn't be noticed too much. 

Trying to control my breathing and my shaky hands I focus on the signs, saying them out loud to fill the silence. I looked in my mirrors and my surrounding areas every second, making sure I wasn't being followed by a red van or any wolves, even though I'm sure they wouldn't risk coming so far into town. 

Finally seeing 3rd I speed up just a little and cry out in relief as I see the flashing lights of Starbucks. Pulling into the parking lot I pull into the handicap, turn off the car and rush inside, looking like a crazy person no doubt. I try catching my breath and ignore the looks I'm getting from the few people in there. 

I rush to the counter where a young woman is waiting behind the cashier. When she sees my flushed face, and no doubt my horrified expression she takes a step back. 

"I need to speak to Carol." I breathe out leaning against the counter. 

"Uhm who are you?" The girl asks sniffing the air; she's a werewolf I realize. 

"I'm a friend of-" I begin but she cuts me off. 

"Grant, why do you smell of him?" She asks lowly. 

"That's why I need Carol! Please, you have to help me." I plead as lowly as I could, barely notice the people looking at us, some even leaving. 

"Carol." The girl shouts to the kitchen behind the cashier desk. 

A woman who looks to be in her twenty comes out wiping her hands clean, with a smile on her face. 

"Yes?" She asks the girl. "I told you not to yell Clair, it's rude." 

"This girl wants to speak with you, says she knows your brother." She says pointing a thumb at me. 

The lady looks startled before taking in my appearance. My shirt was a little all over the place, my hair wild from my run, face flushed and panic on my face. 

"Oh dear, what happened?" She asks coming around the desk. 

"I need to speak to you in private, it's urgent." I say walking up to her, my frame shaking. 

Looking around at the customers she smiles at them before turning to me. "Of course, follow me." She leads the way to a small off that says Employee's only. Once we are alone she grabs my hands and sits me down on the couch.  

"Good heavens child, what is the matter?" She asks, and just like that I'm crying. "Oh dear," She says patting my back lightly. 

"I- we- we were attacked." I cry hard once more. "My friend and I and Grant," I look up trying to stop my sobs. 

"What is your name?" She asks. 

"Dee, I need you to call your alpha." I sob getting more and more flustered. "Rogues, we were attacked by rogues. Sasha and Grant, they stayed behind." I sob. 

She's off the couch in a matter of minutes, phone in hand and yelling at someone about a code red. 

"Where were they Dee?" She asks me. 

I tell her where I think they were and she tells whoever was on the phone with her. Once the phone is put down she sits next to me. 

"Tell me everything, from the beginning."  

And so I do. I tell her about the concert, the girl getting to me when I went to use the restroom. To the plans of why this rogue pack wants me, the planned attack as a diversion. The ride and the van following us to the wolves trying to attack the car. I was a sobbing mess when I was finished. But she just held me; something I really needed at the moment and told me I was safe now.  

The alpha had sent others to help Grant and Sasha; they will be safe and back in a few minutes. I guess the town was under lock down, or well the people who are werewolves are. Any businesses that are pack owned were shut down and families were to report to the pack house immediately or to the safe houses designated for this cause.  

She had shut down the Starbucks once the phone call was finished. She shuffled me and Clair into her car and drove to the pack house, which was just a few blocks away after I finished my story. I felt sick with nerves as she hustled us into the house. Others were on their way inside.  

I watched Clair go off and join her friends, talking about what I had said and what she knows. I felt even sicker. People were in action, knowing what to do in situations like these, while I just stood there, still in shock. I was probably a sight to see; my clothes a little messed up from all the running around, my face red and puffy from all the crying. 

"Come on dear." Carol says grabbing my hand and steering me away from all the loud noise of the pack talking about why we needed a code red. 

"Where are we going?" I ask once we were far away from the others. 

"You're in shock dear; we need you to get something to eat." She says softly wrapping her arm around my shoulder and steering me into the kitchen where some woman sat gossiping around the table and others cooking. I was amazed to see how casual about this. Doing their nightly activity as if nothing was wrong. Seeing my look of shock Carol explains. "It's to help the kids not panic. If they see us panicking and losing our heads it will only scar them for life. It's best to remain calm and go about things like you would any other day." 

I nod my head and numbly sit in a chair. I can't believe this is happening. I had left my friend and a member of the pack that I was going to help lead one day to a bunch of rogues. How could I have done that? They shouldn't have risked their lives knowing there is nothing they could have done, they were outmatched. 

"This is my entire fault." I whisper when a plate full of food is placed in front of me. 

"Oh honey," A lady says from beside me. I hear shuffling and see her sit next to me, patting my arm gently. 

Turning I look at her, the first thing I see is her large round belly. She was pregnant and from the looks of it she was going to pop at any second. He face was heart shaped and kind, her short hair pulled into a pony. 

"Don't think that way. No one could have guessed there would be rogues in the area." She pats my hand once more. 

But I shake my head. "It is my fault. They want me for something." I say tears gathering in my eyes once more. "I've put everyone here at risk." I sob into my hands again. 

"Oh dear," I hear the lady beside me sniff then arms are around me. "Don't think that way. Your safe now, so are the other families in this pack. The only ones who are in danger are the ones fighting those rogues as we speak. But that is there job, to protect us. You are lucky enough to be in a town where there is a pack, if not then you and your friends wouldn't have had help." She says. 

"They did the right thing and got you to safety first." She says tears streaming down her eyes. "Damn hormones." She says wiping them away. 

"You need to eat Dee, your still in shock. Get some food in you and you'll see soon enough that your friends are alright." Carol says gently pushing the plate at me once more. 

I nod mutely and start to pick at the food. Carol strikes up conversation with Karen, the pregnant lady who talked to me. As I eat Carol and the other pregnant ladies who were in the kitchen eating, figures, kept me company. They asked about my school, where I was from all sorts of things. They kept conversation away from the fight going on and what had happened. They made sure nobody came into the kitchen and bothered us since everyone just wanted to talk about the fight. 

They kept my mind busy from over thinking or thinking about what had happened. And I allowed them to, since my mind wouldn't accept all the things that Jared told me. Denial was key in this stage of being shocked. So I allowed it to happen and continued to talk to the woman around me and told them how I was mates with Preston and how I was doing in school and about the new found friends I have made and about my brother. 

I kept looking at the clock though and watched as thirty minutes passed, then and hour. My tension building up more as time passed, we were just about to hit the two hour mark when the door opened and everything went still, like deathly still. With my heart racing I rushed out of the kitchen and into the front room where men were filing in, all dirty and blood stained, evidence of their battle. I held my breath as I watched one by one the men come in through the door and seek out their families.  

Finally the man who I am assuming the alpha walks in with Sasha and Grant right behind them. I feel as if everything went in slow motion after that when I take one look at Sasha and feel the blood drain from my face. Grant was carrying her, a loose shirt and boxes pulled over her small frame.  

Her head rested on his chest, her eyes closed as she breathed deeply. Her legs were red with blood, scratches covering her legs and arms, bite marks all over her body. She looks as if she's on deaths bed. Instantly I move to her and Grant, past the alpha who is speaking and stand right in front of her.  

Grants face is grim as he looks down at me, shaking his head no when I go to speak. But I stare at her, my hand reaching up and pressing against her bruised cheek. Her skin is hot to the touch and rough. I feel my eyes tear up even more when she whimpers. 

"...you are free to leave, the area has been secure. I do advise you to lock your house up tonight and not linger long; you're safer at your homes. We will have a pack meeting tomorrow in the morning, please be careful as you're going home." The alpha says. 

I stop listening to him once more as Grant and I step aside the front door. "What happened?" I asked him. 

He just shakes his head and moves past me. "We must get her to the pack doctor." Is all he says still walking. I gap at him and rush after him just to be stopped by the alpha. He's a tall man, and looks to be as old as Preston's dad. So he hasn't had a son or daughter who turned eighteen yet. 

"You are Deidre Johnson right?" He asks with power in his voice I nod meekly and follow Grant's back as he follows a white haired man down the basement stairs. 

"Yes I am, but I can't talk right now I have to see my friend." I insist, my voice pleading with him. "Please, I don't think I can handle anymore until I know she's ok." A sob threatens to come out when I finish talking. 

He looks hesitant but nods. "Let me show you the way." He says and leads the way down the basement. 

I follow him ignoring all the looks we are getting. My hands shake in nerves as I reach the door labeled doctor.  

"I know you cannot handle anymore tonight Deidre so I will let you stay in one of the guest rooms for the night. I will send someone for your car in the morning, we will talk then." He says before turning and leaving not giving me a word to protest. 

I walk into the office area and move to the bed that is being occupied. The doctor is standing over Sasha, assessing her injuries, poking and probing every now and then. I bite my lip as she whimpers when he pokes at her ribs. He tsks and continues on. 

"What is wrong with her?" I ask Grant who is standing next to Sasha protectively, he is a good guard. 

"She has two broken ribs, sever damage to her legs and arms. No swelling from her head injury that healed up very well on its own. No internal bleeding, which is good." The doctor says looking up at me with a kind smile. "I am Doctor Harvard." He says to me. 

"Grant, I need your help." He says turning to Grant. "Help prop her up so I could get her ribs wrapped. Those should be healed first thing tomorrow." He says as Grant gently lifts her up, her moan of agony brings tears to my eyes once more. 

"Now that's a good girl, keep still, even breathing." Doctor Harvard says softly to Sasha. I watch as he lifts her shirt up, still covering her chest and begins to wrap a large strip of cloth around her torso. Once it was tightly wrapped and secure he puts the shirt down. 

"How long will her other injuries heal?" I ask stepping closer to her as I watch him clean up her bloody legs and arms. 

"These will heal up pretty fast. They weren't too deep; the blood makes them seem worse than it really is." He promises as he cleans the blood up and I watch in amazement as some of the scratches start to close all over again. He cleans up her arms and then lifts the back of her shirt up to examine the ones on her back. "Good, those healed up great." He mumbles and tucks her shit back down. 

"What about the bruises?" I ask as he legs are all healed up, not once scratch is there. 

"By tomorrow morning," He assures me. "She will be just fine Dee. In fact she will be up and walking around in five minutes top. She can even sleep in your guest room with you tonight, just as long as you don't jostle her around." He says. 

"I'm fine Dee; the pain isn't even there anymore." She whispers, her voice hoarse. 

"She got the worst of it, unfortunately. More showed up once you drove away, we were outmatched until the pack came in and helped." Grant said looking up from Sasha to me. 

I grab Sasha's hand in mine and squeezed her hand hard. "Any communication with Preston?" I ask hopeful. 

He hesitates but nods. "Yes, the rogues stopped fighting and ran as soon as it started. My guess is the rogues must have called about your escape before they came after us. After all the attack was just made to be a diversion. It's useless now that it didn't work." He says and that's it. No who was injured or any killed. Or if they caught one of the rogues and are questioning him. Nothing. "Preston will be here in the morning." He adds as an afterthought. 

"Great, I'm going to get my ear chewed off." Sasha mumbles wincing when she moves to get up. 

"Careful!" The doctor glares at her. "You have to go slow until the morning." He warns "Or you will sleep in here." 

She puts her hands up slowly in a I give up gesture. "You won't be in trouble; it's my fault for leaving in the first place." I say. 

"If I would have just gone with you I would have smelt that b_tch before she could have grabbed you." She protests. 

"And if I would have bought that damn ticket from the creepy old man before that bratty girl could I could have kept a better eye on you two." Grant snaps crossing his hands over his chests. "Let's not play the blame game." 

I sigh and realize he's only crabby because he feels like he had failed his job, Sasha too.  

"It's no one's fault ok." I say softly. "None of you will be in trouble with Preston tomorrow, so don't worry about it. No one anticipated this to happen; no one could have been prepared for this. They were too fast and too sneaky."  

I look at them both forcing them to understand, I don't stop until I see them both nod their heads. 

"Good, now when Preston comes tomorrow just let me explain." I say and they both nod meekly. 

"Come on, let's get you three off to bed, it's been a long night." Doctor Harvard says. I look at the clock in the room and am surprised to see that it is past midnight.  

I grab one side of Sasha, and Grant grabs her other side. We lift her up and slowly walk up the stairs where Carol is waiting for us. When she sees her brother she runs to him and hugs him a gently since he's still holding onto Sasha's other side. 

"I was told to show you to your rooms." She says softly. 

We follow after her and walk carefully to the second floor down the hallway where two doors were left open. We took the first one while Grant took the last one. With a goodnight to the two siblings I help Sasha into bed as carefully as I could. Thankfully the room has a king sized bed leaving us plenty of room so where I wouldn't bump into her accidently.  

Climbing in to bed next to her once the light is off, clothes and all I snuggle under the blanket. It isn't until then that everything hits me like a train. Instantly I start crying the only thing to be heard was my cries and Sasha's shh's and soft spoken words, her hand holding mine tightly as my sobs and her gentle words sent us to sleep. 

........................................................................................................................................................................................ 

A\/N: ... what... just... happened.... A piece of the puzzle finally coming together!!! Jared was the human who was helping them.... Poor Dee. Poor Sasha! Geeze so much for a girls night out. I was so excited to write this scene! You have no idea! I really really really hope you all like it! I worked hard on it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

695 130 28
It was like he was on the verge of dying from starvation if he couldn't taste me. Just when I thought the pleasure couldn't get any stronger, it had...
132K 3.8K 33
Ava had always been a beautiful girl to all the boys in school, her intense blue eyes made all the boys want her, but one boy wanted her more than an...
50.8K 1.6K 39
COMPLETED, but not edited! 𝘉𝘰𝘰𝘬 5 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘙𝘦𝘥𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴. *⃝ In which a young girl is swept into the manipulative tricks a...
2.5M 66.5K 41
At eighteen every wolf finds their mate, or at least they hope to. For Kelsey Hendricks, this is no different. She prays to find her mate, in hopes t...