๐’๐„๐‹๐„๐๐„

By hellencristine

๐‹๐ˆ๐’๐“๐„๐, Selene didn't want to be a Goddess... She was a normal fifteen-year-old-class president, a ded... More

๐’๐„๐‹๐„๐๐„
๐๐‘๐„๐‹๐”๐ƒ๐„
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ˆ - ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ญ๐ข๐ญ๐š๐ง'๐ฌ ๐œ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐ž
๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐•
๐•
๐•๐ˆ
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐—
๐—
๐—๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐•
๐—๐•
๐—๐•๐ˆ
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐—
๐—๐—
๐—๐—๐ˆ
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐›๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฅ๐š๐›๐ฒ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ก
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐•
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐—
๐—๐—๐—
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ

๐—๐—๐•

1.4K 86 119
By hellencristine

Why'd you whisper in the dark
Just to leave me in the night?
Now your silence has me screaming

𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐠𝐨, taylor swift

"Shh, keep quiet," Selene shushed him while wiping away the dried trickles of blood that trailed from his nose to his mouth, "I'll be over in a second."

Percy turned his head to the side, "It hurts."

She sighed, glancing over at the Nectar hanging by the bedside table. "It shouldn't hurt anymore. You've taken a considerable portion of Nectar and Ambrosia," she turned to the boy behind her, "Michael, could you hand me the alcohol? And more Nectar, please."

"No, not alcohol," Percy groaned.

About four kids from Apollo's cabin volunteered to learn with Selene some of Apollo's healing arts. She didn't consider herself an expert by any means, but they seemed enthusiastic to learn whatever she could teach them. It made her question herself how those campers viewed her, and if they actually thought of her as a figure of knowledge and authority (she wasn't).

Michael Yew walked over to the counter at the Infirmary and returned with a bowl filled with pudding (Selene was still 100% sure Nectar was just some funny pudding), and a bottle of alcohol.

"Why alcohol?" A girl asked behind her. She had a full quiver on her

shoulder, and her short ginger hair was dyed with a shock of bright green. "Is it an ancient technique? Pour alcohol over injuries?"

"Oh, Kayla," she began, "that's not ancient technique. That's a Selene special. If it burns, it heals. Comes in hand when you grow up in Brooklyn."

A small boy with shaggy blond hair and blue eyes raised his hand. It was the same boy that inspected Percy's nose earlier. "Selene, wouldn't the alcohol be just a placebo?"

She sighed, "look, kids, I'm not Meredith Gray. I'm improvising a lot here," she said, handing the boy the piece of cloth she used to wipe Percy's blood. "Will, can you take over for me?"

Will wrinkled his nose. "He doesn't look thrilled, though."

"I am not." Percy groaned. "I feel like a lab rat."

"Shut up," Selene muttered, filling his mouth with pudding.

"Maybe you could sing to heal him faster, I know it's possible. I've been learning it."

"With all due respect, Will, I'd rather break my own nose than sing in front of y'all."

"Shouldn't you kids be asleep by now?" Percy grumbled, scanning the room.

Selene smirked as she scraped drips off his chin with the spoon. "You should be asleep by now, Aquaman. The pudding will knock you out so hard, you won't even feel it when Will starts dissecting you."

"Can I?"

"No!" Percy exclaimed, eyes widening in horror.

"Austin, pass me the band-aid, please."

"Sure," Austin was an African-American boy, with cornrows shaped like a double helix. He seemed to be the youngest amongst them, even younger than Will.

He went back to the counter and grabbed a package of Care Bears band-aids.

"Oh, perfect," she muttered, picking a pinky one and putting it over his nose. "You're all set, Aquaman."

"What's that smile?"

"What do you mean?"

"You've got that smile on, when you're doing something wrong."

"Do I?" Her smile widened. She turned around, "But seriously guys, as far as I hate agreeing with Prissy over there, you guys should return to your cabin. I'm not hearing Chiron's speech over keeping you here late."

"But—" Will tried to complain.

"You heard the Director, Will." A voice echoed from the corner of the bedroom. He stood there, arms crossed over his chest, smirking at them. "Come on, kids. Back to the cabin."

"I'm not the Director, Fletcher." Selene smiled at him while she gently ushered them towards the door. "Sleep tight and dream big, kiddos. Don't come looking for me until 12pm, thank you."

Lee watched each kid leave, giving them a pat on the shoulder as they passed. With a reassuring nod, he silently wished them goodnight.

As they exited, he walked over to Selene with his arms still crossed as if pondering something.

"They've never been so close to a god before, you know," he said, helping her clean the station. "Thanks for being nice to them."

She thought about how Michael, Will, Kayla, and the other boy, Austin, were almost fainting when she said they could spend some time with her, watching as she nursed Percy back to health. Selene asked herself if their father, Apollo, had ever done the same thing to them.

It seemed they all learned their crafts by themselves. Most campers had never even had a full conversation with their divine parent. She glanced over at Percy, who had his eyes shut and had probably already fallen asleep, also remembering how Poseidon said he'd never even attended a single birthday party.

Selene raised an eyebrow, setting down the alcohol bottle with a clink on the counter. "Don't you have Dionysus, though?" she asked, glancing back at Lee.

Lee rubbed his chin. "Does Mr. D. count as god?"

She chuckled, "Careful what you say. He might just wrap your mouth with grapevine."

He leaned against the counter, a thoughtful expression on his face. "Well, Mr. D. isn't exactly known for his friendliness. Except for Castor and Pollux, of course. So, yeah, you're basically the closest thing to a god they've ever casually interacted with." He chuckled, shaking his head. "It's kinda funny, though. Kayla's gunning for the Archery national team, dreaming of the Olympics. Austin's just kicked off his YouTube channel, belting out covers. And Will and Michael? They both have their sights set on becoming doctors. All traits inherited from dear dad, yet he probably couldn't pick them out of a lineup."

Selene leaned beside him. "If it helps, Polo has a sheet paper with all your names and mother's numbers."

"Um, I don't think it's for the reason you're thinking."

They both laughed, yet quiet down quickly not to wake Percy.

"What about you?" she asked. "What do you want to become?"

Lee didn't even think before answering, "I'm off to university. Gonna study music, you know?"

"Ah, the campfire singalong guy."

"That's me, the one and only."

She chuckled, "I'd totally buy front-row tickets to your shows. Well, unless you end up in Magic Mike, then it might get a bit awkward to bring your siblings along."

Lee's grin widened. "Magic Mike isn't exactly on my career radar, but hey, never say never, right?"

"And you? Any big plans?" he asked.

"I don't think I've got anything ahead of me... not like you do, you know. Just saving the world and stuff. Nothing too exciting."

"Chiron mentioned you lived amongst mortals for a while. Something must've crossed your mind during that time."

Selene shrugged, a wistful smile tugging at her lips. "I had dreams of being a professional ballerina. But..." She shook her head. "Doesn't seem like it's in the cards anymore."

Her eyes gaze upwards. Rough cedar beams ribbed the ceiling. The Infirmary smelled of clean linen and dried sage. The only decorations were some flowerpots on the windowsill, where cheerful yellow blooms were thriving.

"It's a bit weird, to be honest. You're almost like one of us."

She raised an eyebrow. "Almost?"

"Well, you don't look very mortal yourself, do you?"

Selene felt her cheeks warm. Lee wasn't exactly flirting (well, maybe just a little, but that was probably Apollo's influence), yet his words made her feel a bit shy. In the eyes of mortals, expectations often soared when it came to gods' appearances. Yet, Selene always thought she fell short of the majestic image they envisioned. She often compared herself with old Selene, who had her hair falling in perfect waves up to her hips, and a prettier face than a Victoria's Secret model.

Her hair had an uneven haircut from when Apollo tried to cut it himself. Her feet still had calluses and both thumbs had ingrown toenails. Save for her peculiar silver eyes, she didn't believe she stood out much from campers like Clarisse, Silena, or Annabeth, but people did seem to think otherwise.

"You won't gain points for flattering me, Lee Fletcher."

He grinned, "I'm not, I swear!" he exclaimed. "When you first rolled in here with my father, rumors swirled that you two might be an item, which honestly, kinda made sense. Then you show up with Percy right by your side, and suddenly, everyone's scratching their heads wondering if they should be jealous of you or him."

"Hold up, Poseidon Junior really has that kind of reputation?"

"Absolutely. The guy took down a Minotaur at twelve and is the forbidden son of Poseidon. People can't decide if they want to be him or date him."

Selene shook her head, laughing, "well, I kinda see it."

"Yeah, but then you strut in and throw everyone for a loop," he said. "It's like no one can compete with you."

"Oh but we're not dating or anything. He's my friend."

Lee arched an eyebrow. "A girl from Hermes cabin swore she saw you two hugging by the pier."

"We're close friends, alright? I mean, I think I had a small crush for a while, but I'm over it." Getting over it. Key-word: getting. She wasn't over him. Not even a single bit.

"Alright, alright. But then, if you're just friends and your heart is free, someone else might flirt with you too."

Selene nervously smiled, feeling a flush creeping up her neck. "What do you mean, Fletcher?"

He leaned in closer, his blonde hair falling effortlessly into place. "You know, our little Michael is head over heels for you."

She leaned in as well, her own silver eyes widening incredulously. "Isn't he like, twelve?"

They both burst out in a shushed laugh.

"Michael is sixteen, he's just... Still growing." Lee corrected with a chuckle. "And he'll be counselor after this summer, once I go off to University. Boy has his moves, ok?"

Selene nodded. "I bet he does, but I'm probably never gonna date a mortal. Or anyone in general."

"Alright, Hunter of Artemis. But you're probably gonna break a line of demigods hearts that are just waiting for you."

"Well, how many are we talking about? 'Cause maybe I can consider..."

"Oh, you've learned more than healing arts with my father, I see..."

"Shut up! Go to sleep, mortal! I command thee!" she exclaimed, pointing dramatically towards the door, laughter bubbling from her lips.

Unbeknownst to them, a third person was listening in on their conversation. His eyes were shut, but he had the biggest scowl on.

In the next morning, Chiron called a war council. They met in the sword arena, which Selene thought was pretty strange— trying to discuss the fate of the camp while Mrs. O'Leary chewed on a lifesize squeaky pink rubber yak.

Chiron, Quintus and Selene stood at the front by the weapon racks. Clarisse and Annabeth sat next to each other and led the briefing. Tyson and Grover sat as far away from each other as possible. Also present around the table: Juniper the tree nymph, Silena Beauregard, Travis and Connor Stoll, Beckendorf, Lee Fletcher, even Argus, the hundred-eyed security chief.

That's how Selene knew it was serious. Apparently, Argus hardly ever shows up unless something really major is going on. The whole time Annabeth spoke, he kept his hundred blue eyes trained on her so hard his whole body turned bloodshot.

"Luke must have known about the Labyrinth entrance," Annabeth said. "He knew everything about camp."

For a second, Selene thought she heard a little pride in her voice, like she still respected the guy, evil as he was.

Juniper cleared her throat. "That's what I was trying to tell you last night. The cave entrance has been there a long time. Luke used to use it."

Silena Beauregard frowned. "You knew about the Labyrinth entrance, and you didn't say anything?"

Juniper's face turned green. "I didn't know it was important. Just a cave. I don't like yucky old caves."

"She has good taste," Grover said.

"I wouldn't have paid any attention except...well, it was Luke." She blushed a little greener.

Grover huffed. "Forget what I said about good taste."

"Interesting," Quintus polished his sword as he spoke. "And you believe this young man, Luke, would dare use the Labyrinth as an invasion route?"

Definitely," Clarisse said. "If he could get an army of monsters inside Camp Half-Blood, just pop up in the middle of the woods without having to worry about our magical boundaries, we wouldn't stand a chance. He could wipe us out easy. He must've been planning this for months."

"Then bring your borders closer? Like, why are y'all making this harder than it's supposed to be?" Selene asked.

"It's more than that, Men—Selene," Clarisse corrected. "It isn't just about camp."

"He's been sending scouts into the maze," Annabeth said. "We know because...because we found one."

"Ah," Quintus said. "The one in the...Yes, I understand."

"The one in the what?" Percy asked.

Clarisse glared at him. "The point is, Luke has been looking for a way to navigate the maze. He's searching for Daedalus's workshop."

"The guy who created the maze."

"Yes," Annabeth said. "The greatest architect, the greatest inventor of all time. If the legends are true, his workshop is in the center of the Labyrinth. He's the only one who knew how to navigate the maze perfectly. If Luke managed to find the workshop and convince Daedalus to help him, Luke wouldn't have to fumble around searching for paths, or risk losing his army in the maze's traps. He could navigate anywhere he wanted—quickly and safely. First to Camp Half-Blood to wipe us out. Then...to Olympus."

The arena was silent except for Mrs. O'Leary's toy yak getting disemboweled: SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Finally Beckendorf put his huge hands on the table. "Back up a sec, Annabeth, you said 'convince Daedalus'? Isn't Daedalus dead?"

Quintus grunted. "I would hope so. He lived, what, three thousand years ago? And even if he were alive, don't the old stories say he fled from the Labyrinth?"

Chiron clopped restlessly on his hooves. "That's the problem, my dear Quintus. No one knows. There are rumors...well, there are many disturbing rumors about Daedalus, but one is that he disappeared back into the Labyrinth toward the end of his life. He might still be there."

"We need to go in," Annabeth announced. "We have to find the workshop before Luke does. If Daedalus is alive, we convince him to help us, not Luke. If Ariadne's string still exists, we make sure it never falls into Luke's hands."

"Wait a second," Percy raised his hand. "If we're worried about an attack, why not just blow up the entrance? Seal the tunnel?"

"Great idea!" Grover said. "I'll get the dynamite!"

"Can I lit up the fire?" Selene's eyes gleamed.

"It's not so easy, stupid pricks," Clarisse growled. "We tried that at the entrance we found in Phoenix. It didn't go well."

Annabeth nodded. "The Labyrinth is magical architecture, Percy. It would take huge power to seal even one of its entrances. In Phoenix, Clarisse demolished a whole building with a wrecking ball, and the maze entrance just shifted a few feet. The best we can do is prevent Luke from learning to navigate the Labyrinth."

"We could fight," Lee Fletcher said. "We know where the entrance is now. We can set up a defensive line and wait for them. If an army tries to come through, they'll find us waiting with our bows."

"We will certainly set up defenses," Chiron agreed. "But I fear Clarisse is right. The magical borders have kept this camp safe for hundreds of years. If Luke manages to get a large army of monsters into the center of camp, bypassing our boundaries...we may not have the strength to defeat them."

Nobody looked real happy about that news. Chiron usually tried to be upbeat and optimistic. If he was predicting they couldn't hold off an attack, that wasn't good.

"We have to get to Daedalus's workshop first," Annabeth insisted. "Find Ariadne's string and prevent Luke from using it."

"But if nobody can navigate in there," Percy said, "what chance do we have?"

"First of all, I've been studying architecture for years. I know Daedalus's Labyrinth better than anybody."

"From reading about it."

"Well, yes," she said, then shook her head. "Besides, we've got Selene now."

Selene waved her hand dismissively, "No direct interference, but stay safe y'all."

Percy turned to her, a frown creasing his forehead. "Can you stop saying that?"

"Why?"

"You volunteered yourself to go with Grover before," Percy blurted out. "Now you're just ditching out?"

"Well, that's different. I volunteered to protect him 'cause y'all wanted him to go by himself. If you're going on a quest as a group, you can protect each other."

"Still, it's irritating! You should do something too!"

"You want me to break ancient rules just because it's irritating you?"

"I want you to take camp seriously!"

Everyone glanced at each other. She realized everyone was watching her and Percy like a tennis match. Mrs. O'Leary's squeaky yak went EEK! As she ripped off its pink rubber head.

Chiron cleared his throat. "First things first. We need a quest. Someone must enter the Labyrinth, find the workshop of Daedalus, and prevent Luke from using the maze to invade this camp."

"We all know who should lead this," Clarisse said. "Annabeth."

There was a murmur of agreement.

"You've done as much as I have, Clarisse," she said. "You should go, too."

Clarisse shook her head. "I'm not going back in there."

Travis Stoll laughed. "Don't tell me you're scared. Clarisse, chicken?"

Clarisse got to her feet, and Selene thought she was going to pulverize Travis, but she said in a shaky voice: "You don't understand anything, punk. I'm never going in there again. Never!"

She stormed out of the arena.

Travis looked around sheepishly. "I didn't mean to—"

Chiron raised his hand. "The poor girl has had a difficult year. Now, do we have agreement that Annabeth should lead the quest?"

They all nodded except Quintus. He folded his arms and stared at the table.

"Very well," Chiron turned to Annabeth. "My dear, it's your time to visit the Oracle. Assuming you return to us in one piece, we shall discuss what to do next."

By the corner of her eyes, Selene watched as Percy paced the arena, waiting. Mrs. O'Leary ate her lunch, which consisted of a hundred pounds of ground beef and several dog biscuits the size of trashcan lids. She wondered where Quintus got dog biscuits that size. She didn't figure you could just walk into Pet Zone and put those in your shopping cart.

She was having a deep conversation with Chiron, Argus and Quintus. Describing it probably isn't as weird as having that conversation. They talked about the possibility of Selene joining them—which Chiron strongly disagreed, as he didn't want her outside Camp, fearing for their protection has an attack takes place. Quintus kept saying how the only way this quest succeeds is if Selene joins them, even without actually being able to interfere in a battle.

Selene remained silent. She wouldn't willingly put herself in that position unless absolutely necessary. Unless they truly needed her. Ever since Bianca's death, her strongest motivation to learn and grow had been the desire to protect mortals and to finally be able to save someone, as she couldn't save Bianca. If they truly needed her, she wouldn't hesitate to step up—yet she really, really didn't want to be needed.

On the other side of the arena, she noticed how Tyson and the Stoll brothers were racing miniature bronze chariots that Tyson had made out of armor scraps.

Selene excused herself, walking over to Percy. He'd given up on pacing and was halfway through leaving the arena.

"Care to enlighten me on what the fuck was going on earlier?"

He shrugged off, staring across the fields at the Big House. "Annabeth is taking so long, isn't she? I swear it didn't take that long when I was—"

"Percy Jackson!" She exclaimed, gripping on his wrist, which made him abruptly turn to her. Percy still had the Care Bears band-aid on his nose. In other circumstances, Selene would chuckle at him, yet now she was pissed. "Seriously, what was that scene?"

"Well, you're always protecting everyone, but as soon as there's a chance I might get involved, you back off," he said. "You keep backing off and I can't understand you."

Selene had a feeling that last part wasn't actually related to the quest.

She shook her head, "What?"

"You were all eager to enter the Labyrinth with Grover. Last year, you were always doing stupid stuff to protect everyone on our Quest. You gave up on your memories to save Annabeth. You ran to that dragon to help Zoe. You... I'm not sure what you did to Thalia, but you also protect her. But when it's about me, it's like you don't care at all. Like you could just get over me."

"Percy, that's just bullshit," her grip on his wrist loosened slightly. "I had your back so many times. I just don't constantly think of protecting you because you don't need it."

"Yeah, but maybe I want it!"

He sighed, his shoulders slumping.

Percy cleared his throat, looking away from her. "Maybe it wasn't the best idea to bring up... you know, your feelings. It's kinda messing with my head. But, uh, since you seem okay with moving on, I think I should be clear. I see you as just my best friend, anything else. So... let's just don't bring it up ever again."

That was unexpected.

Before she could say anything, a girl whispered, "Percy, Selene."

Juniper was standing in the bushes. It was weird how she almost turned invisible when she was surrounded by plants.

She gestured them over urgently. "You need to know: Luke wasn't the only one I saw around that cave."

"What do you mean?"

She glanced back at the arena. "I was trying to say something, but he was right there."

"Who?" Percy asked.

"The sword master," she said. "He was poking around the rocks."

Selene's stomach clenched. "Quintus? When?"

"I don't know: I don't pay attention to time. Maybe a week ago, when he first showed up."

"What was he doing? Did he go in?"

"I—I'm not sure. He's creepy, Selene. I didn't even see him come into the glade. Suddenly he was just there. You have to tell Grover it's too dangerous—"

"Juniper?" Grover called from inside the arena. "Where'd you go?"

Juniper sighed. "I'd better go in. Just remember what I said, you two. Don't trust that man!"

She ran into the arena.

Selene kept her eyes lowered, playing with the ring on her finger.  "You're right, I'm way over it. I'll never bring it up again, Percy. We're all good, don't worry."

She turned her back at him and ran down the hill, heading across the fields.

The front parlor of the Big House was strangely quiet. The few times Selene had been there before, she'd always see Dionysus by the fireplace, playing cards and eating grapes and griping at satyrs, but he was still away.

She walked down the hallway, floorboards creaking under her feat. When she got to the base of the stairs, she hesitated. What she heard wasn't what she had expected.

"Selene, listen—"

She turned back, finger on her mouth, silently hsuhsing him.

Sobbing. Selen pointed downstairs. It was coming below them.

She gestured for him to follow her, and she crept around the back of the stairs. The basement door was open. She didn't even know the Big House had a basement.

They both peered inside and saw two figures in the far corner, sitting amid a bunch of stockpiled cases of ambrosia and strawberry preserves. One was Clarisse. The other was a teenage Hispanic guy in tattered camouflage pants and a dirty black T-shirt. His hair was greasy and matted. He was hugging his shoulders and sobbing. It was Chris Rodriguez, the half-blood who'd gone to work for Luke.

And unlike the other times she'd seen him, this time he was wide-awake.

"It's okay," Clarisse was telling him. "Try a little more nectar."

"You're an illusion, Mary!" Chris backed farther into the corner. "G-get away."

"My name's not Mary." Clarisse's voice was gentle but really sad. "My name is Clarisse. Remember. Please."

"It's dark!" Chris yelled. "So dark!"

"Come outside," Clarisse coaxed. "The sunlight will help you."

"A...a thousand skulls. The earth keeps healing him."

"Chris," Clarisse pleaded. It sounded like she was close to tears. "You have to get better. Please. I will—I'm calling Selene. Hang in there. She'll know how to help you."

She didn't. But thanks for the vote of confidence, Clarisse.

Chris's eyes were like a cornered rat's—wild and desperate. "There's no way out, Mary. No way out."

Then he caught a glimpse of both Percy and Selene and made a strangled, terrified sound. "The son of Poseidon! He's horrible! She will wake him, Mary. She is going to wake him."

Selene backed away, bringing Percy back by the collar of his shirt and hoping Clarisse hadn't seen them both. Chris had been looking at Percy, and yet why did she get the feeling he hadn't been talking about him at all?

She heard a creak from above—like the attic door opening—and instinctively ran for the front door. She needed to get out of that house.

"My dear," Chiron said. "You made it."

Annabeth looked at Percy first. She couldn't tell if she was trying to warn him, or if the look in her eyes was just plain fear. Then she focused on Selene. "I got the prophecy. I will lead the quest to find Daedalus's workshop."

Nobody cheered. This quest seemed insanely dangerous. After what she'd seen of Chris Rodriguez, Selene didn't even want to think about Annabeth descending into that weird maze.

Chiron scraped a hoof on the dirt floor. "What did the prophecy say exactly, my dear? The wording is important."

Annabeth took a deep breath. "I, ah...well, it said, you shall delve in the darkness of the endless maze..."

They waited.

"The dead, the traitor, and the lost one raise."

Grover perked up. "The lost one! That must mean Pan! That's great!"

"With the dead and the traitor," Percy added. "Not so great."

"And?" Chiron asked. "What is the rest?"

"You shall rise or fall by the ghost king's hand," Annabeth said, "the child of Athena's final stand."

Everyone looked around uncomfortably. Annabeth was a daughter of Athena, and a final stand didn't sound good.

"Hey...we shouldn't jump to conclusions," Silena said. "Annabeth isn't the only child of Athena, right?"

"But who's this ghost king?" Beckendorf asked.

No one answered. Selene thought about the Iris-message she'd seen of Nico summoning spirits. She had a bad feeling the prophecy was connected to that.

"Are there more lines?" Chiron asked. "The prophecy does not sound complete."

Annabeth hesitated. "I don't remember exactly."

Chiron raised an eyebrow. Annabeth was known for her memory. She never forgot something she heard.

Annabeth shifted on her bench. "Something about...Destroy with a hero's final breath, and... and..."

"And?" Chiron asked.

"Titan shall stir by Titan's cost, the Father of All Monsters will stand tall."

Selene's heart was caught in her stomach. Of course, there were many Titans, some not as friendly as others. Didn't mean she was directly related to it. But then, why did her heart race so much?

Her hands shook as she lowered her eyes, avoiding everyone's glances. She knew everyone else thought the same.

"Anything else?" Chiron asked.

She stood. "Look, the point is, I have to go in. I'll find the workshop and stop Luke. And...I need help." She turned to Percy. "Will you come?"

He didn't even hesitate. "I'm in."

"Grover, you too? The wild god is waiting."

Grover seemed to forget how much he hated the underground. The line about the "lost one" had completely energized him. "I'll pack extra recyclables for snacks!"

"And Tyson," Annabeth said. "I'll need you too."

"Yay! Blow-things-up time!" Tyson clapped so hard he woke up Mrs. O'Leary, who was dozing in the corner.

"Wait, Annabeth," Chiron said. "This goes against the ancient laws. A hero is allowed only two companions."

"I need them all," she insisted. "And... someone else."

"Annabeth." Chiron flicked his tail nervously. "Consider well. You would be breaking the ancient laws, and there are always consequences. Last winter, five went on a quest to save Artemis. Only three came back. Think on that. Three is a sacred number. There are three fates, three furies, three Olympian sons of Kronos. It is a good strong number that stands against many dangers. Four...this is risky."

"I need Selene."

She froze on the spot.

Chiron shook his head, "Absolutely not, Annabeth. Selene's involvement is off-limits."

"Perhaps," Quintus added, "we should consider Selene's perspective?"

Selene felt the weight of their eyes upon her, her posture tensing. "We've all heard the same prophecy, haven't we? 'Titan shall stir by Titan's cost.' I'm not keen on being the catalyst for stirring. I'm fine as I am, thank you."

"Prophecies might mean a lot of things," Annabeth's brow furrowed with frustration.

"She's right," Chiron insisted. "It isn't like last winter anymore. Given her understanding of the Ancient Rules, breaking them would only bring more harm. A firm no, Annabeth."

Annabeth took a deep breath, but it was Percy who said, "Selene, we need you—"

She looked away from him.

"It is decided." Chiron said. "Annabeth, Percy, Grover and Tyson. Let us adjourn. The members of the quest must prepare themselves. Tomorrow at dawn, we send you into the Labyrinth."

Quintus pulled her aside as the council was breaking up.

"I have a bad feeling about this," he told her. "You should go. I feel it."

Mrs. O'Leary came over, wagging her tail happily. She dropped her shield at Selene's feet, and she threw it for her. Quintus watched her romp after it. Selene remembered what Juniper had said about him scouting out the maze. She didn't' trust him, but when he looked at her, she saw real concern in his eyes.

"I don't like the idea of them going down there," he said. "Any of them. The Labyrinth exists to fool you. It will distract them. That's dangerous for half-bloods. We are easily distracted."

"You've been in there?"

"Long ago." His voice was ragged. "I barely escaped with my life. Most who enter aren't that lucky."

"Listen, Quintuplus," she shook her head. "You heard Chiron and you heard the prophecy. What if I stir my father? Or even worse. We both know who the father of all monsters may be."

"Don't you fear for your friends life?"

Her brow furrowed, and she stood taller, her posture rigid. "Never say that again. They won't die, not if it costs me everything."

"Ha, how interesting," he replied, rubbing his chin. "That's your fatal flaw, Selene."

"Technically, I don't have any fatal flaws, as I'm unable to die."

Quintus let out a bitter laugh. "There are fates worse than death, Titaness," he remarked. "Your fatal flaw—Self-sacrifice. Isn't it ironic, considering your immortality? I know you, Selene. Always trying to sacrifice yourself, never actually being able... I've been studying you. Refusing this Quest would be going against your very nature... wouldn't it?"

"Listen—"

"There's a string tying you two, Selene," he interrupted. She wanted to ask him who he was referring to, but a part of her already knew. "I wonder why, don't you?"

Quintus' lips curved into a lopsided grin, and then he turned, leaving her behind.

Son of a bitch, she murmured.

Selene had never been inside the Athena cabin before.

Her head was a whirldwind of thoughts. She didn't know what to or not do at all. For a second, she thinks it's perfectly plausible to join their quest. Then, a minute later, she's quite sure she isn't supposed to go at all. Selene thought if there was one person that could help her, it was Annabeth. 

It was a silvery building, nothing fancy, with plain white curtains and a carved stone owl over the doorway. The owl's onyx eyes seemed to follow me as she walked closer.

"Hello?" she called inside.

Nobody answered. Selene stepped in and caught her breath. The place was a workshop for brainiac kids. The bunks were all pushed against one wall as if sleeping didn't matter very much. Most of the room was filled with workbenches and tables and sets of tools and weapons.

The back of the room was a huge library crammed with old scrolls and leather-bound books and paperbacks. There was and architect's drafting table with a bunch of rulers and protractors, and some 3-D models of buildings. Huge old war maps were plastered to the ceiling. Sets of armor hung under the windows, their bronze plates glinting in the sun.

Annabeth stood in the back of the room, rifling through old scrolls.

"Knock, knock?"

She turned with a start. "Oh...hi. Didn't hear you."

"Everything alright?"

She frowned at the scroll in her hands. "Just trying to do some research. Daedalus's Labyrinth is so huge. None of the stories agree about anything. The maps just lead from nowhere to nowhere."

She thought about what Quintus had said, how the maze tries to distract you. Selene wondered if Annabeth knew that already.

"You will figure it out, Annabeth." She promised.

Her hair had come loose and was hanging in tangled blond braids all around her face. Her gray eyes looked almost black.

"I keep thinking of that day, Selene," she stared down at all the books and scrolls she'd pulled from the shelves. "If it weren't for you..."

Selene placed a hand over her shoulder, "It wasn't just because of me, Annabeth. You were so brave too."

"Chiron might be right," she muttered. "I'm breaking the rules. But I don't know what else to do. I need you there. It just feels right."

Annabeth's eyes were puffy. She started crying.

Selene didn't know what to do, so she just kept awkwardly patting on her shoulder.

"I know... I know you're afraid of that line, but there's another one, Selene, and I can't leave without telling you this," she said. "And lose a love to worse than death. That's the last line."

Selene felt more confused than she ever had in her life. She wanted to run from the cabin...but then again she didn't.

"You—" her voice came an octave higher. She cleared her throat, "You're in love with Percy?"

Annabeth did what Selene least expected. She smacked Selene's head with the scroll.

"For a Titan, you're the dumbest creature I've ever seen."

"Um, first, that's quite offensive," Selene said, rubbing her head. "But seriously, Annabeth, if you—"

Her words lingered in the air. Last year, Selene had been convinced there was something between them, especially after Aphrodite had hinted at their connection as true love. But then, Thalia had assured her that there was nothing romantic between them, and since then Selene found herself questioning everything.

Besides, Percy made very clear he only saw her as his best friend. Nothing would ever happen. She swore to herself that she would never again entertain thoughts of his troublemaker grin, or find herself lost in his golden curls, or get lost in the depths of his sea-blue eyes.

Percy and Annabeth made sense. They were both half-bloods, had known each other since they were twelve, and had been through countless trials together. They seemed destined to be together.

"When I think of love, I think of one person, Selene. And it isn't Percy, no," she shook her head. "But this prophecy... It could not be about romantic love. What I mean, is... think about last year. I survived because of you, and we weren't even acquainted. Would you forgive yourself if he...?"

If it hadn't been for the prophecy's warning - "Titan shall stir by Titan's cost" - she would've joined them without hesitation. Quintus had even labeled her fatal flaw as self-sacrifice, so it sounded right for her to join them despite all odds. But then, there were the Ancient Rules, the ultimate law binding her as a divine being. Breaking them carried unimaginable consequences. Some she couldn't even fathom.

Selene was caught in a paradox. Staying at Camp Half-Blood to ensure the safety of the world, or joining their quest to ensure the safety of the person she loved?

Selene sighed, "when are we leaving, Annabeth?"

Author's Note:

Alright guys. I've been receiving some hate comments over my character Selene, and it's making me really sad. 

I understand when someone doesn't agree with a character's action, but I do not write perfect characters. Selene is supposed to be sixteen, even though she's a goddess. She'll be rude sometimes, she'll be UNBEARABLE, she'll be boring. And more importantly, she'll be insanely confused and make wrong decisions. 

That's how I write my characters—not just either a plain good guy or straight villain. I write them as close to real people as possible.

Once again, it's totally normal if you don't agree with some decisions, and think you would've acted differently. What's non acceptable for me is to straight up hate my character and offend my writing, cause then, I guess my story just isn't for you :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.8K 253 10
*เณƒเผ„ Love wasn't her thing. One could laugh at the irony of that statement. The daughter of Aphrodite, the literal goddess of love, not knowing HOW t...
238K 7.9K 50
โ ๐™Ž๐™Š๐™๐™๐™”, ๐™Ž๐™๐˜ผ๐™ ๐™‚๐™„๐™๐™‡, I just have to make sure I can still look at you." โ ๐™๐™ƒ๐™„๐™‰ ๐™๐™๐˜พ๐™†๐™„๐™‰๐™‚ ๐™„๐˜พ๐™€, Jackson.โž ...
4.7K 257 15
๐š๐ฎโ€ข๐ ๐ฎโ€ข๐ซ๐ฒ ๐ง๐จ๐ฎ๐ง: ๐š๐ฎ๐ ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฒ; ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ซ๐š๐ฅ ๐ง๐จ๐ฎ๐ง: ๐š๐ฎ๐ ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ โ˜… ๐š ๐ฌ๐ข๐ ๐ง ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฐ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ก๐š๐ฉ๐ฉ๐ž๐ง ๐ข๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ๏ฟฝ...
707K 18.3K 24
One day on Olympus, the gods agreed to test their powers and see what they could do. Which resulted in them creating a whole new goddess named (Y/n)...