Critical Error

נכתב על ידי xMagic666

Based on a DnD campaign, Critical Error is a dramatic narrative set in a post-apocalyptic world, focusing on... עוד

Malice
Son of a Witch
The Dangerous Metal Man
VOID
The Lost City

Rain on a Sunny Day

29 4 8
נכתב על ידי xMagic666

*Act 4, Scene 1*

"There's not a lot of time left," something spoke to Ryan...

The journey to the New Hexlands wasn't hard. Friendly fae creatures illuminated the bridge from the Green lands to the island city.

New Hexlands is a bustling industrious city of high fashion and higher prices.

"I don't think I can afford a boat?" Ryan remarks.

"It's all chill, I have a plan," Dwayne says.

When the two get to the port, they find an old turtle man at a small post.

"Greetings, sir," Ryan is cut off by DWAYNE EVISCERATING THE TURTLE.

Almost instantly, the old man's head is lopped off and locals start screaming.

"GET ON THE BOAT!!" Dwayne commands.

Ryan hesitates, Dwayne sends forth a grappling hook from his chest and yanks Ryan up onto the boat.

Dwayne puts the boat in reverse and absconds from the port as quickly as possible.

Before they escape, 2 patrol boats close the distance to Ryan's ship.

"There's no talking our way out of this," Dwayne says.

Ryan, agreed, aims Malice at the fuel tank of the first patrol boat. But the patrol boat turns swiftly, maneuvering away from his shot.

Dwayne leaps onto the second patrol boat and starts recklessly destroying everything.

The first patrol docks on the boat, Ryan, however, hides behind the door to the controls. When the officer opens the room, Ryan shoots her in the back of the head, killing the officer instantly.An explosion is heard, Ryan turns to face the sea.

"D!? Are you..." Before Ryan can worry too much, Dwayne lands on the ship from the air, still smoldering from the explosion.

"What did you just call me?" He asks.

"Um... D," Ryan admits.

"I like it, keep calling me that," Dwayne requests.

The ship takes off over the horizon; it should be smooth sailing from here to Capital City.

*Act 4, Scene 2*

They decide to take the ship through the western canal.

A stellar rain blessed Gaia. Shimmering gold droplets of divine mana touched the face of the planet.

"I haven't seen anything like this since I was a toddler," Ryan ruminated.

Ryan opened the door and stood in the magic rain.

Dwayne stayed inside.

Sea sprites danced in the water like twin dragonlings. They catch mana by breaching into the air as the droplets fall.

As they travel through the canal, the ship passes right by The Capital City. However, as if by divine intervention, the ship is unnoticed.

*Act 4, Scene 3*

Long after the rain stopped, Ryan and Dwayne dock west of East Main.

"What do we do there?" Dwayne asks.

"If we can, we'll find the Elf with many swords. If we can't, we'll ask about him," Ryan prepares Dwayne.

"Do you know his name?" Dwayne asks again.

Ryan shakes his head, and they head to the village together.

They are not warmly welcomed.

"Stop," two guards say in unison. "Your clothes, explain yourself."

"My... clothes? This is my dad's coat. He's... no longer with us, it's kind of the only thing I wear," Ryan explains.

The guards look both suspicious and slightly traumatized.

"And your metal friend?" They ask.

"Dwayne, he can speak for himself," Ryan states.

"Yeah, I'm looking for an Elf man who carries many swords. I'm told he laid waste to a Capital City Spy Tower in the Southern continent," Dwayne tells them.

The guards glance at each other. "And if you find him?"

Dwayne looks at Ryan.

"If we find him, we'll recruit him. It's time to show Capital City that they aren't as strong as they purport," Ryan exclaims.

The guards let down their spears, and our friends are let into the village.

"You're going to want to head up north, that's where you'll find the House Jones," the guards say before Ryan enters.

Without wasting a moment, Ryan aims himself North. He walks past several vendors and craftsmen, mostly elves, some fae and hybrids. What almost distracted Ryan were the rambunctious rat children running around.

But while he walks up several stairs leading to a massive elven mansion. Another, more gilded guard is in front of the gate to House Jones.

"Sir, I prithee, I seek to find an Elf man who holds several swords. He is a fearsome fighter and was spotted in the Green lands a few days ago?" Ryan pleads.

"Dark braided hair and brown skin? Yes, you mean the youngest brother of the Jones, Gladius. If thou seek the young brother, then thou shalt not find him here," the guard announces."Okay, where can I find Gladius Jones?" Ryan asks.

"He's on a quest, to the top of Mount Avard. He seeks the strength of the gods, and legends have it the peak is where one would commune with the divine three," the Guard claims.

"Thank you," Ryan leaves. As he makes his way back down the stairs, he spots Dwayne shopping with the elves. He appears to be purchasing some kind of color-changing blade?

*Act 4, Scene 4*

Ryan and Dwayne take off, further north to the giant Mountains of Avard. It's truly breathtaking, the sheer scale of the mountains. They shoot vertically upward as if the land itself was pinched and pulled by the Gods.

At the base of the mountain is a little camp, many different kinds of people live here and trade gems with each other.

After a quick greeting, Ryan is given a gift. A small crystal intended to protect the holder from harm. Ryan spends 20 coins on climbing equipment, Dwayne insists he's fine.

They begin their ascent of Mount Avard. The climb is not easy, it's almost a 90-degree angle for what felt like multitudes of miles! Dwayne climbs by stabbing several blades into the mountain like an ice climber or giant spider.

When they finally reach a plateau, Ryan is exhausted but can't rest. On the cliff is a wounded dragon.

Ryan startles the creature, and a bout of fire spews from its mouth. Ryan initiates a change of plan and leaps off the cliff with his fingers crossed.

Ryan falls quickly, but Dwayne catches him.

"Thank you, D," Ryan prostrates.

Dwayne carries Ryan up the mountain, taking a different path.

They make it to a pathway that leads to the peak of the mountain. Suddenly they hear the sound of collapsing rock ahead of them.

Ryan runs to check it out. He sees a cave mouth completely caved in and light muffled grunts! Without a second wasted, Ryan starts removing rocks from the cave-in. Dwayne joins him, and they save a Satyr woman.

"Oh thank you, my gem protected me from the impact, but if you didn't come I'd have suffocated," she says.

"What happened here?" Ryan asks.

"There was a tunneling horror within the caves, my life was saved by another adventurer like you. An elven fighter," she clues in Ryan.

"Can you get us over that cave, D?" Ryan asks.

Without a second thought, Dwayne grabs Ryan and leaps over the cave mouth, skating up the mountain until they reach the exit.

They spot Gladius Jones dead ahead, standing in the middle of a giant circular platform, speaking to some kind of Giant.

The Giant touches Gladius' chest, and a bloom of light erupts from him. The elf begins ascending to the sky.

Ryan runs onto the platform.

"Wait! Where is he going?" Ryan asks the Giant.

"He will speak with the holy trinity. You, however, will be spoken to," the Giant tells him.

 "Me? Why?" Ryan continues.

"Ryan, the god of hatred and corruption, wishes to commune. Would you accept?" The Giant says rhetorically.

Ryan nods, and the Giant touches Ryan's head to which an influx of red light manifests.

*Act 4, Scene 5*

"I am Malice, your god of hatred, anger, fervor, and abuse.

You have given fuel to my fire, but not enough. I know you hate the capital city for what they've done to you.

NO. Hate them for what they are. Hate them for they are evil, they seek to destroy this world for profit. They wish to claim all for their false idol, Coin. Hate them for they are the lawbreaking, traitorous, greedy, villains who would seek to pour the milk of humanity into the fiery pits of hell."

Ryan, though he cannot speak, thinks a cursed thought.

"Yes, you will see again that they are deserving of your malice. And when you do, I will offer you my power, use it, abuse it, and annihilate the Capital City off the face of Gaia herself."

Ryan is released from Malice's domain.

Filled with determination, Ryan prepares himself for his next mission. Destroy Capital City.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

43 5 16
This is a story of a young girl's journey in finding a world where she really belongs- a world where she fits in.
389 41 77
This is the story of a man, a scared man in a world of horror and silent death. Follow the adventure of a desperate soul trying to find it's way back...
1.9K 105 33
First book sry for mistakes. Nothings been the same since the death blast. That what they started calling the "incident". Somewon pressed a button an...
181 2 7
This book in the series contains seven short stories I wrote during the earliest stage of my evolution as a writer and artist. The stories are flawed...